How were Stargates made and placed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How were Stargates made and placed?

I am curious how Stargates are manufactured and placed. Seeing as the Ancients like to think BIG, I imagine that they have a ship that functions as a mining facility for Naquadah and as a manufacturing facility for Stargates and DHDs... It would fly to each designated planet determined by the Ancient High Council and deposit a Stargate with a DHD there... I hope this is explained! We haven't come across any ancient mines of Naquadah except the Gou'ald's. God I love Ancient tech...

Originally posted by AncientOne
    I am curious how Stargates are manufactured and placed. Seeing as the Ancients like to think BIG, I imagine that they have a ship that functions as a mining facility for Naquadah and as a manufacturing facility for Stargates and DHDs... It would fly to each designated planet determined by the Ancient High Council and deposit a Stargate with a DHD there... I hope this is explained! We haven't come across any ancient mines of Naquadah except the Gou'ald's. God I love Ancient tech...
    We wont the Ancients havent been artound for 10000 years, meaning anything left is well preserved. The Goa'uld's (more than likely) have had mining operations where the Ancients once did, because the Goa'uld were dominant until we came along.

The "how the stargates got there" question has puzzeled many, in a clip i have somewhere *looks* David Hewlit (Makay) reads the question "How did the Ancients get the gates on the planets with only puddle jumpers?" His answer was "Don't know"

SPOILER ALERT

Hopefully we will find out in Season 9 with the team exploring the origns of the Ancients and the Gatebuilders, which is on Gateworld somewhere, which throws open the possibility that the Ancients didnt make the Gates!!!!!

EDIT
    Here you go!
    "One of the things we're going to be exploring in Season Nine is the origin of the Ancients and the Gatebuilders. And it's something I know fans have been sort of very curious about, and have sort of asked to see. And that is one of the things we're really going to be delving into: Who the Ancients really are, and where they came from, and we may even get a chance to go there."

Comment

Maybe the Ancients have really powerfull matter/energy conversion/transportation technology. AKA, they can push a couple buttons and have a gate and DHD fully programmed on the desired planet. A way they could accomplish this is by converting energy into matter using subatomic specifications of the Stargate and DHD.

Owen Macri

Comment

So Ancient Scotty would beam a 'gate down to a planet?
        JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
        VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
        MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
        LANDRY
        : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
        Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
        Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
        Mmm... Green...

Comment

Pretty much. Except he would technically beam pure energy down to a planet, were they in orbit, and then the energy would be materialized on the planets' surface as a Stargate and DHD.

Owen Macri

Comment

That'd be a very impressive piece of technology. It'd take ZPM amounts of energy to do that, but I guess that's what they had. They'd also have to be close to the planet to start beaming, because who knows what'll happen if they just send the beam on a 22 year jouney to a random class-M planet.

I'm still sticking with the theory that the Ancients just went around the universe in large gateships(not puddlejumpers) and planted 'gates this way.
            JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
            LANDRY
            Mmm... Green...

Comment

Actualy it would only take a very limited amount of energy, the stargate bassically does this all of the time.

Owen Macri

Comment

The stargate doesn't make energy out of nothing. It takes it out of matter. Matter contains phenominal amounts of energy.
                LANDRY
                Mmm... Green...

Comment

Oh, I thought you were refering to the process of materialization. I know that the Stargate doesn't create matter out of nothing. As for the amount of energy required, there is energy everywhere, it could be gathered to contribute to the matter required.

Owen Macri

Comment

...Or you could just assemble the gates and hand-place them on planets!
                    LANDRY
                    Mmm... Green...

Comment

That would take to long, like cleaning every inch of The Empire State Building with a Q-Tip.

Owen Macri

Comment

They do have FTL ships, though. With good sensors, it wouldn't take THAT long.
                        LANDRY
                        Mmm... Green...

Comment

You are right, technically the ships don't travel faster than light, but I know what you mean. However even with incredibly fast ships, they would need to stop at each individual planet. This would be like having a car that can go a thousand miles per hour, you only need to use it to go 10 meters, normally this trip would be incredibly fast, however there is one condition of using this car, you must stop every milimeter. Now this journey would take an incredible amount of time.

Owen Macri

Comment

Who says that people have to be in that car? The ship could be robotic.
                            LANDRY
                            Mmm... Green...

Comment

It is possible but then the Ancients would have had to build a fleet of gate distribution ships. The point is not whether or not there were people in them, the fact is that it would still take a very long time to distribute all of the gates. I am not saying that it is not a possibility, I am just saying that a much faster way would be a huge matter/energy rearanger/transporter/converter.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                              X