This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek: Enterprise - Vancouver Courier - It's Dead, Jim

An interesting article from the Vancouver Courier on the passing of Star Trek: Enterprise. There are photos at the site.

From the Vancouver Courier:

http://www.vancourier.com/issues05/0...044205nn1.html

(Please follow the link for the complete article. It was too long in content to post here in its entirety.)

[snip]
    Last edited by Madeleine; 31 May 2005, 07:13 AM.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

I wouldn't be so sure that Trek is dead. Enterprise? Surely. Trek?

In a town as idea starved and creativity lacking as Hollywood, no good idea fails to be recycled... ad nauseum.

The only questions are when, and will it be run by another corporate type with no creativity (say, Berman) or by a true scifi showrunner (say, Moore)?

Comment

Originally posted by morjana
      An interesting article from the Vancouver Courier on the passing of Star Trek: Enterprise. There are photos at the site.

From the Vancouver Courier:

http://www.vancourier.com/issues05/0...044205nn1.html
      I've hidden your post, as it contains most of the article you linked to and that is what we have to do if we're unsure whether it infringes copyright. If you have permission from LMPG to post so much of the article let me or another mod know and your post will be put back out

Madeleine

Comment

Morjana, thanks for the link. You are ever so good with that.

I am not sure if the reporter was doing this on purpose, but none of the people he/she interviewed is under the age of 30. IMO, that's symptomatic of Trek's failure -- there was never any serious attempt at snagging new generations of viewers. Catering to fans of early Trek is not easy; as they move out of their parents' basement, their taste of course would change . Yes, there is the obligatory Star Trek, tea and all, also suffered from a decline in the quality of its writing. And it's true. But the bad writing of many TNG episodes never prevented it from reaching culture icon status or launching half a dozen movies.

Though far from being a Trek expert -- watched two series and only off-and-on -- I am not so sure how well-versed the reporter is in Trek lore. Knowing "a Bajoran from a Gorn" is hardly any evidence to establish someone's trekkie status (or general geekiness). As for the "Vulcan underware" comment, it's ironic the accompanied photo featured this same woman in the miniskirt from the 60's. That tantalizing element goes from 7-of-9, to Deanna, and all the way back to Uhura. It's hardly new.
        In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

What you have to understand about newspaper writers is, they need to fill up space. So they'll write most anything that crosses their minds, valid or not.

Comment

Working...
          X