PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Advertisments

Lt. Aiden Ford
May 30th, 2005, 10:31 PM
I realize that the new advertising banners at the top of the page are probably necessary for financial reasons, but is there any chance that they could be moved to the bottom of the webpage? They stick out like a sore thumb at the top. :(

GateWorld
May 30th, 2005, 10:32 PM
(That's kinda the point. There's no point in advertising if it's unseen.)

All I can say is that you'll get used to 'em. Thanks for your understanding! :) :)

Darren

morjana
May 30th, 2005, 11:00 PM
I realize that the new advertising banners at the top of the page are probably necessary for financial reasons, but is there any chance that they could be moved to the bottom of the webpage? They stick out like a sore thumb at the top. :(

Here's an idea -- click on one of the advertising banners at least once a day (or week) -- and help GateWorld.

You can minimize the pop up window, let it run in the background, bring in some money for GateWorld, and look forward to spending more time at GateWorld Forum.

:)

Morjana

Serebii
May 31st, 2005, 12:20 AM
(That's kinda the point. There's no point in advertising if it's unseen.)

All I can say is that you'll get used to 'em. Thanks for your understanding! :) :)

Darren
There is one problem with it on the main site...the site's menu stays up where it normally would belike in this screenshot

http://www.serebiiforums.com/gateworld.jpg

Would be best to get this fixed

Greg
May 31st, 2005, 02:32 AM
We are aware of, and are working on this issue. It seems to only occur in some browsers.

kiwigater
May 31st, 2005, 04:11 AM
Luckily my web browser is behaving :D And to be honest I've never really found the ads to be intrusive, maybe I just have a higher ability to tune them out (or I just don't pay nearly as much attention as you do :p ). Every so often I do click on one, it's usually a link to a site that is advertising "100% legal TV show downloads".....

Now, I'm fairly sure this has been mentioned somewhere on the forum sometime in the last 11 mths (since I joined early July :p ), but I'm afraid it's beyond the abilities of the search function to sniff it out. So, the question for the guys in charge :D is by listing a TV download site are you guys endorsing it as being legal?
I only mention it because I would love to find some convincingly legal way to dl a number of shows (mostly SG and BSG when they start up again), and the site SAYS it's legal, but I was under the impression there was no legal way to download any TV shows :( But, my belief and trust in GW leads me to believe the ads that get posted.
I don't know if you guys explicitly control the content of the ads, or if it's like in my gmail - automatically generated to target the people viewing the pages.

Clarification from anyone in the know would be appreciated :D

ETA: and now that I've noticed, for some odd reason there are no ads at all for me :confused: how odd! :p

ShadowMaat
May 31st, 2005, 04:30 AM
Sometimes the ads show up, sometimes they don't. Sometimes it's the nice, stately Google ads and sometimes it's the obnoxious flashing nightmares from which there is no escape. :rolleyes:

The google ads, from my understanding, are a random thing generated by words within the page. For instance, I've seen ads for bellydancing supplies pop up at the top of the page in the Clothe Teyla thread. ;) I don't think Darren & Co are endorsing bellydancing (don't think they're strictly against it, either), but it's just the words that let latched onto by the Google spiders or whatever. *tries not to picture spiders crawling over her posts*

I don't know if those "legal" sites are really legal, either. I'd be more wary of them than the "free" ones, personally.

Skydiver
May 31st, 2005, 04:49 AM
my only issue is the flash ads. i HATE flash with a passion and some of them are so poorly made that they actually freak my puter processor out.

plain text/image ads, sure. i can live with, and in all honesty stop seeing them after a while, but the flash ads, i've stopped visiting some sites because of thier super dependance upon flash and the designers' assumption taht every surfer out there is on broadband with a super fast blazing computer

it's frustrating when the page you're trying to look at won't load until AFTER the ad does

It's not like i'll stop coming to gateworld, but well, FLASH should die!!! (and i'm not talking about the comic book hero here ;) )

Skydiver
May 31st, 2005, 04:52 AM
before anyone tries to follow morjana's advice and check out some of those ads, can you guarantee that there's no spyware/adware in them?

I have no objection to helping, but i don't feel like adding a daily run of adaware to my list of things to do to clean off all the spying cookies

Lt. Aiden Ford
May 31st, 2005, 05:29 AM
my only issue is the flash ads. i HATE flash with a passion and some of them are so poorly made that they actually freak my puter processor out.

plain text/image ads, sure. i can live with, and in all honesty stop seeing them after a while, but the flash ads, i've stopped visiting some sites because of thier super dependance upon flash and the designers' assumption taht every surfer out there is on broadband with a super fast blazing computerI agree. I don't mind the Google text ads at all, but the "gimmicky" ads that try to trick you into clicking on them just ensure that I never will. "Shoot the criminal and win a prize"...whatever. :rolleyes:

ShadowMaat
May 31st, 2005, 05:30 AM
No kidding. Some of those things are worse than viruses. Will also agree on the flash ads. I have no problem with plain text ads and even th brightly colored ones are OK, but those "shoot this to win" things and anything that flashes and/or moves tends to cause more trouble than it's worth. Unfortunately, I'm guessing that there's no way to weed out the "bad" ones from the rest. That's another part of their inherent insidiousness; they're mixed in so thoroughly there's no way to screen against them. *sigh*

Of course, you could always turn flash off, or set your comp not to autoload images, but that can be even MORE tedious, especially away from Gateworld.

Buggy542
May 31st, 2005, 05:33 AM
I never used to notice the advertisements... now that you point them out, they're really bothering me.

Funny how the mind works... :rolleyes:

Skydiver
May 31st, 2005, 07:26 AM
LOL

hey, i'll just have to go home and see how well my norton works on blocking them

even here at work on my nice fast t-line, those animated ads bog the heck out of my puter

but hey, if they're part of the scenery, so be it

personally, the flashier the ads are the LESS likely i am to click on them. I accidentally clicked on one on my old desk top and it took me over a year to find and delete the spyware it'd dumped on it. so i personally NEVER click any online ads.

I think i checked out the download one once, but since i'm a dialup girl, it wouldn't work for me anyway

GateWorld
May 31st, 2005, 08:03 AM
Hi all,

Sorry about the ad trouble that some are experiencing -- we are obviously transitioning to a new system, and will be doing some maintenance and tweaking. If the GateWorld drop-down menu is vertically misaligned for you, please clear your browser's cache (Temporary Internet Files) and reload the page. Internet Explorer users can find this under View > Options. In Firefox it's at Tools > Options > Privacy. In Netscape it's Edit > Preferences. The files on the server, in other words, have been updated, but your Web browser is still using an older version it had laying around.

If you are using a browser plug-in or other application that strips out advertisements from all Web sites, you will have problems. We'll be making some adjustments that should allow you to browse with these activated and have the menu line up properly, but until then you might consider disabling the ad-stripper to properly view the site. (This does not apply to the forum.)

Thanks!
Darren

MartoufMarty
May 31st, 2005, 08:13 AM
I think at home Norton Antivirus and Internet Security and stuff blocks the top ads. I came to the forum before I went to school and I didn't notice them. Maybe I'm blinder than I thought :P

I think the ones that are next to the banner show up sometimes lol.

But, I did just notice something... I went to the blog section and this is what I get:

[an error occured while processing this directive] (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/martoufmarty/blogerror.jpg)

I refreshed a couple times and still got the same thing. :S

GateWorld
May 31st, 2005, 08:21 AM
A little bit about GateWorld's advertising policy, which I hope will demonstrate how very conservative we are compared to most sites out there (especially most sites in the TV / movie / entertainment / young male primary demographic):

- GateWorld does not allow pop-up, pop-under, or "In Vue" (layered on the screen over the page content) advertisements. If you see pop-ups while browsing GateWorld, you probably have adware that's snuck it's way onto your computer.

- GateWorld does not allow advertisements that link to sites that peddle in adware or scumware, when we are aware of it. (If you come across a suspect ad, please let us know!)

- GateWorld does not allow advertisements for alcohol, tobacco, or gambling.

- GateWorld does not allow adult-ish ads (like the lusty close-up on female body parts that one dating service is currently using in its online advertising).

- GateWorld does not allow deceptive advertisements. If we see anything like "You are today's winner! Click here to claim your prize!" we'll pull it faster than you can say "takunitagaminituron."

- GateWorld does not allow visually annoying advertisements. This is obviously a judgment call, and for the time being we've decided to allow some of the point-and-click ad "games" like the flittering PSPs. We don't allow anything that is extremely flashy and seizure-inducing like you will see elsewhere.

All in all, we hope that the ads strike a good balance between financially supporting the site and not crapping it up and making everyone leave. ;) Your suggestions to [email protected] are always coveted.

Darren

Buggy542
May 31st, 2005, 08:22 AM
I think at home Norton Antivirus and Internet Security and stuff blocks the top ads. I came to the forum before I went to school and I didn't notice them. Maybe I'm blinder than I thought

I think the ones that are next to the banner show up sometimes lol.

But, I did just notice something... I went to the blog section and this is what I get:

[an error occured while processing this directive] (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/martoufmarty/blogerror.jpg)

I refreshed a couple times and still got the same thing. :S
I tried that too, and got the exact same message. So don't worry, it's not just you. ;)

I have Norton AntiVirus... and I still get the ads... Maybe it's just that I have an older version or something.

GateWorld
May 31st, 2005, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the head's up! It seems I've managed to break Joe's blog. You can see it here (http://www.gateworld.net/blogs/jmallozzi/) without the errors but with a misaligned nav menu. I'll fix those errors.

MartoufMarty
May 31st, 2005, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the head's up! It seems I've managed to break Joe's blog. You can see it here (http://www.gateworld.net/blogs/jmallozzi/) without the errors but with a misaligned nav menu. I'll fix those errors.
No problem, and thanks :)

That last entry had made me hungry for ice cream... Ooh, it's lunch time anyways... :P

Anubis345
May 31st, 2005, 08:57 AM
yeah where did the advertisements come from

ShadowMaat
May 31st, 2005, 09:11 AM
I would assume the ads are a way of defraying the cost of hosting Gateworld with a reliable service. So either we deal with a few flashy ads (which can be poofed with an ad-stripper) or we go back to somewhere less stable and deal with frequent crashes and outages and not being able to access the forum for hours/days at a time.

Your call. :)

Well, OK, actually it isn't your call, but you get the idea...

Skydiver
May 31st, 2005, 09:37 AM
I would assume the ads are a way of defraying the cost of hosting Gateworld with a reliable service. So either we deal with a few flashy ads (which can be poofed with an ad-stripper) or we go back to somewhere less stable and deal with frequent crashes and outages and not being able to access the forum for hours/days at a time.

yep, that is most likely it.

I mean, i can only IMAGINE the bandwidth a site like this pulls. and, unfortunately, it can become a victim of its own success. more users, more bandwidth, less hosting companies that are willing to take it on (and hosting companies, IN GENERAL, have a reputation of promising you the moon, delivering a moon pie and not refunding you your money)

advertising is a necessary evil.

don't mean it's not annoying, but it is a fact of life :)

Greg
May 31st, 2005, 10:02 AM
If you calculate server hardware, bandwidth they are relatively inexpensive in comparison with human hours spent on maintainence and continual updates to the site/forums, and moderation the cost of running the site runs into the thousands of dollars a month.

MartoufMarty
May 31st, 2005, 11:53 AM
If you calculate server hardware, bandwidth they are relatively inexpensive in comparison with human hours spent on maintainence and continual updates to the site/forums, and moderation the cost of running the site runs into the thousands of dollars a month.
:eek:

Holy crap!

If I had money, I'd donate some money to you guys... Ack. That's a lot of money!

ShadowMaat
May 31st, 2005, 12:23 PM
If I had money, I'd donate some money to you guys... Ack. That's a lot of money!
Tried to do that once. I was politely turned down. *sniff* But I don't take it personally. *sniffle* Not really... :(

;)

GatetheWay
May 31st, 2005, 12:25 PM
It's kind of sad really... yesterday, when I saw the site under contruction, I thought maybe the Omnipedia was finally being updated. You can imagine my mismay when I found out it was only to install a new advertisment. :( I have nothing against GateWorld making more money. I just got my hopes up.

Skydiver
May 31st, 2005, 01:05 PM
one way you can help is, if you ever buy anything through amazon, come to gateworld first and enter amazon through gateworld. darren then gets a 'bounty' on things that are purchased.

it's a win-win

you get cool stuff that you want, he gets moolah and we all have fun

ShadowMaat
May 31st, 2005, 01:11 PM
Oh trust me, I've spent small fortunes on Amazon. For Gateworld's sake, of course. :D

Madeleine
May 31st, 2005, 01:14 PM
I wonder why all the ads at the top of this page are for Skydiving courses? :D

Shipperahoy
May 31st, 2005, 01:19 PM
Oddly enough there are no ads showing up at the top of the page for me. It's just the Gateworld banner and then just blank blue space. Wierd.

MartoufMarty
May 31st, 2005, 01:23 PM
Ah. No ads. At all... Zero. Nada. Zilch...

MartoufMarty
May 31st, 2005, 01:24 PM
Oddly enough there are no ads showing up at the top of the page for me. It's just the Gateworld banner and then just blank blue space. Wierd.
You probably have an ad-blocker :P

Shipperahoy
May 31st, 2005, 01:29 PM
Yeah, I do have an ad blocker but it usually just blocks pop-ups. I did recently upgrade my ad blocker though so that may explain it.

SGLAB
May 31st, 2005, 02:49 PM
I agree. I don't mind the Google text ads at all, but the "gimmicky" ads that try to trick you into clicking on them just ensure that I never will. "Shoot the criminal and win a prize"...whatever. :rolleyes:

While on a site once I kept hearing this odd noise. It sounded like my computer had a fly in it. I finally realized I kept going over this advertisement with my mouse that had a fly and buzzed every time I touched it with my arrow. :rolleyes:

GatetheWay
May 31st, 2005, 03:19 PM
I really dislike the kind that act like pop-ups but they are in the window and they block the entire thing. The worst part is there is hardly ever a way to close them!

kiwigater
May 31st, 2005, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the explanation Darren :D I appreciate the consideration and love the fact there's a whole slew of ads I've come across elsewhere I don't have to deal with here :D
Yeah, I figured a bunch of them were the random google created ones. I'm inherently suspicious of anything that proclaims to be a legal site to dl TV shows (despite my wishing :S ).
I'm not sure why I don't have ads - I don't have an ad stripper, might just be Dad's Norton stuff.

TechnoWraith
May 31st, 2005, 05:05 PM
one way you can help is, if you ever buy anything through amazon, come to gateworld first and enter amazon through gateworld. darren then gets a 'bounty' on things that are purchased.

it's a win-win

you get cool stuff that you want, he gets moolah and we all have fun

How come GateWorld doesn't accept donations?

I mean i know you have your reasons, but i'm willing to make a monthly donation of some sort to help keep GateWorld afloat. Attesting to the rough ride we've had over the last few months or so, i am even more willing to donate now more than ever.

I know the Amazon link is a way to raise money, but i think there are people here at GW who would also be willing to donate directly (myself included). If donating means guaranteeing a stable, reliable host, then I'm more than willing to hand some extra cash over to GW.

:) ;)

twiggy
May 31st, 2005, 05:16 PM
wow, this really makes me appreciate you guys even more! and believe me, i love you guys (in a good, non obsessive way ;)). but wow. i didn't know how much money it takes to have a site like this!

GateWorld
May 31st, 2005, 05:55 PM
Unfortunately, donating doesn't ensure a stable, reliable host and 24/7/365 uptime. Money hasn't been our problem, frankly.

Accepting donations is an undertaking with unbelievably massive implications (starting with taxes). If GateWorld were simply a small fan site trying to stay online, it would be one thing. But it's been such a hit that over the years it has turned into a bit of a business, and frankly I don't feel ethical taking donations with one hand while buying DVDs for myself with the other. ;)

Darren

Madeleine
May 31st, 2005, 08:31 PM
I hovered over an ad and the URL came up as e-bay.com, but when I clicked on it it took me to e-bay.co.uk. These ads are really clever.

Now there's an ad for chocolate cranberries at the top of the page, and no one's even *mentioned* chocolate yet. I reckon the cunning ads have simply sensed Shipperahoy and shadow on this page and know what to do... :D

ShadowMaat
June 1st, 2005, 03:42 AM
The ebay thing is a little spooky, if you ask me. I noticed the same thing when I was in Canada and England. Even if my bookmarks were for one place, I'd wind up in the country-appropriate site.

Agent_Dark
June 1st, 2005, 04:47 AM
The ebay thing is a little spooky, if you ask me. I noticed the same thing when I was in Canada and England. Even if my bookmarks were for one place, I'd wind up in the country-appropriate site.
lol, all it does is track your IP to determine what country you're from, then re-direct ya to the country specific site. Google does the same thing too ;)

ShadowMaat
June 1st, 2005, 06:20 AM
Yeah, all the biggies- ebay, google, yahoo, whatever. Still spooky. :P

And I've seen much more obnoxious ads than the ones on Gateworld. At least these ones don't make noise.

Feli
June 1st, 2005, 06:58 AM
lol, all it does is track your IP to determine what country you're from, then re-direct ya to the country specific site. Google does the same thing too ;)

It drives me nuts though. When I type amazon.com it's because I actually want to visit their US site, not because I'm too stupid to realize I'm in another country...

Skydiver
June 1st, 2005, 07:16 AM
Yeah, all the biggies- ebay, google, yahoo, whatever. Still spooky. :P

And I've seen much more obnoxious ads than the ones on Gateworld. At least these ones don't make noise.

oh lord yes! those epileptic seizure inducing flashing ones are enough to make me scream

i did find out that my norton at home does block a lot of them, which helps. my poor lappy doesn't always like all this 'fancy' stuff

but if someone needs a test subject to see if they can fix the 'odd placing of dropdown menu's' issue, just let me know. :)

twiggy
June 1st, 2005, 08:22 AM
lol! thankfully they don't have them here, but on some sites, they have the ones that will suddenly pop up with smiley's for IM, and it frustrates me so much!

MartoufMarty
June 1st, 2005, 08:29 AM
Lypha.com - 3000 mbs webspace 150 GB Data Transfer for $4.95 a month (with a domain name for free for two months)... What's the catch? :P

Shipperahoy
June 1st, 2005, 08:52 AM
It drives me nuts though. When I type amazon.com it's because I actually want to visit their US site, not because I'm too stupid to realize I'm in another country...

You can't get on to amazon.com from there? If I type in amazon.co.uk then it will take me to the UK site.

And Shadow, I totally understand what you mean. The reason I just strengthened my ad blocker was because every where I went there was that stupid Crazy Frog ad. I want to kill that frog.

ShadowMaat
June 1st, 2005, 09:01 AM
So does Norton do this automatically or is it an extra service? Maybe I should switch from MacAfee

Shipperahoy
June 1st, 2005, 09:39 AM
So does Norton do this automatically or is it an extra service? Maybe I should switch from MacAfee

Does Norton do what automatically? Sorry, I'm not trying to be obtuse I'm just not sure to exactly what you're refering. Or even if you're talking to me. If not then kindly disregard my confused ramblings. :D

Skydiver
June 1st, 2005, 09:42 AM
i have norton internet security and it comes with
anti virus
spam blocker
pop up blocker
parental control (which i never use)

i haven't noticed much about the spam blocker since i dont' use my pc based address for much of anything, but the pop-up/ad blocker does seem to do a pretty good job of blocking stuff

there are a few ones on yahoo that slip through, but i don't get the very top ad on gateworld although i sometimes get the one that's right next to the forum name

there are free pop up blockers you can find if you look. bout the onlu issue i have is that sometimes, in blocking the pop up they'll block ones you want, like info pop ups on order pages or the like

it's liveable though.

and from the point of view of a dialup person, anything that helps stop my puter from getting bogged down is a good thing :)

Shipperahoy
June 1st, 2005, 09:53 AM
Sorry Shadow, my brain is in post final shut down. I have Norton Anti-Virus and it comes with what Sky outlined but I also installed another ad blocker because Norton wasn't really blocking the pop ups. In fact, the only pop ups it seemed to block were the ones I wanted (like Sky was saying, pop ups for orders and whatnot) and not blocking the spam but I installed a seperate ad blocker and it's working wonders. No more Crazy Frog!!! Woooo hooooo!!!

Lord Zedd
June 1st, 2005, 01:39 PM
Oh trust me, I've spent small fortunes on Amazon. For Gateworld's sake, of course. :D
Of course we believe you :D :p

twiggy
June 1st, 2005, 02:52 PM
i have some popup blocker, it's something like Norton, but i don't know what it's called. but it's really nice!

Egeria
June 1st, 2005, 02:57 PM
I use Firefox's ad-blocker, there's not many that get past it. The few times I need to use IE scare me, pop-up galore.

With regards to the ads on Gateworld, I can't say they bother me at all...I hardly notice them and anyway it's a very small price to pay for what we get here.

Major Tyler
June 1st, 2005, 03:18 PM
I use Firefox's ad-blocker, there's not many that get past it.I just downloaded FireFox to see if it would block the ads and I still see them. Is the ad-blocker a separate download or something?

Egeria
June 1st, 2005, 03:24 PM
I just downloaded FireFox to see if it would block the ads and I still see them. Is the ad-blocker a separate download or something?

It's an extension, you can get it here.:) (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=firefox)

blueiris
June 1st, 2005, 03:32 PM
I have never noticed that little banner before. Had I not just looked for it, I would have said that there were no ads. I have never seen a flashing one.
*I have Firefox also.

Major Tyler
June 1st, 2005, 03:34 PM
It's an extension, you can get it here.:) (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=firefox)Thanks! I just downloaded the extension but I'm not sure how to make it work...I'm not very good with computers. :o

Agent_Dark
June 1st, 2005, 05:00 PM
Thanks! I just downloaded the extension but I'm not sure how to make it work...I'm not very good with computers. :o
If you've already installed the extension, just restart your browser then when you right-click on something you should get an option to 'addblock' :)

Major Tyler
June 1st, 2005, 07:43 PM
If you've already installed the extension, just restart your browser then when you right-click on something you should get an option to 'addblock' :)Thanks you, Agent Dark! You Rock hardcore! :D

BTW, how do you get your sig to change with every reload? That is so cool!

Agent_Dark
June 1st, 2005, 07:56 PM
Thanks you, Agent Dark! You Rock hardcore! :D

BTW, how do you get your sig to change with every reload? That is so cool!
hehe, its a php script ;)

Major Tyler
June 1st, 2005, 08:18 PM
hehe, its a php script ;)How does one learn this power? :)

6thMonolith
June 1st, 2005, 08:19 PM
I use adblock religiousely. It really helps on sites that I visit a lot(here, mostly :P). Earlier today, I had some trouble with the drop down bar and adblock. When the ad on top was blocked, the bar stayed in place, while the rest of the page moved up two inches. It was a bit distracting, and hard to find the forum button. Hasn't happened since.

Major Tyler
June 1st, 2005, 09:42 PM
AdBlock is such a blessing! I can even use it to block annoying/offensive sig pictures without having to disable the rest of the images. Thanks to Egeria, Agent Dark, and anyone else spreading the wonders of AdBlock! :)

chanvw
June 2nd, 2005, 01:06 AM
hehe i love adblock, and also flashgot, which gets around those pesky sites that won't let you use download managers :cool:

blueiris
June 2nd, 2005, 03:48 AM
Well, spank me Rosie! :eek: There was flashing ads in that little banner this morning. Never noticed them before, but they were gone in a less than a minute.

I guess they must have been there before, but it seems as though this thread has the power of suggestion. :S

kiwigater
June 2nd, 2005, 04:01 AM
Well, spank me Rosie! :eek: There was flashing ads in that little banner this morning. Never noticed them before, but they were gone in a less than a minute.

I guess they must have been there before, but it seems as though this thread has the power of suggestion. :S
well in that case..... *sends out persuasive subliminal messages *

"send Kiwi chocolate..... send Kiwi chocolate..... send Kiwi Michael Shanks.... send Kiw- oops, sorry, how did that happen :o :p .... send Kiwi chocolate....." ;) :p :D

ShadowMaat
June 2nd, 2005, 06:41 AM
Hmmm.... I WAS getting the ads at work, now I'm not. I know Norton is running, but I would have thought it'd have caught them from the start, if that's what it does. And it's making things reeeaaaalllllly slow... unless that's a separate problem. Ah well. Just encourages me to multitask. ;)

blueiris
June 2nd, 2005, 06:48 AM
V e r r y . . . . s l o o o w. . . .

I had the blue/dot screen with nothing but GATEWORLD written over Fruitloops for the longest time. Kelloggs should send GW some $$ for the free ad.

Major Tyler
June 2nd, 2005, 07:30 AM
V e r r y . . . . s l o o o w. . . .

I had the blue/dot screen with nothing but GATEWORLD written over Fruitloops for the longest time. Kelloggs should send GW some $$ for the free ad.The same thing happened to me...I think it's a system-wide problem. I had Teal'c drinking from the coffee pot. :P

GateWorld
June 2nd, 2005, 08:14 AM
The forum is lagging a bit only because it's trying to get ads from GateWorld.net, but can't find the site (since it's down at the moment). Once we're back up (very soon) it should be running normally again.

Darren

GateWorld
June 2nd, 2005, 08:18 AM
I won't discourage the use of ad blockers, as God knows I'd use 'em when browsing the Web. But just so that everyone is aware of the implications if you are a GateWorld fan:

GateWorld gets paid based on both impressions (number of times an ad loads) and click-thrus. So ads support the site and keep it online not just because some people click on ads, but because they appear on every page that each person browses. Blocking ads will reduce our impressions and, if enough people do it, our ad revenue, even if you would never have clicked on the ads anyway.

Darren

Major Tyler
June 2nd, 2005, 11:13 AM
GateWorld gets paid based on both impressions (number of times an ad loads) and click-thrus. So ads support the site and keep it online not just because some people click on ads, but because they appear on every page that each person browses.In that case, it might be a good idea for us to only block those ads that are particularly distracting. The small ads that appear next to the "GateWorld Forum" banner don't bother me, neither to Google ads or non-flash ads. I didn't realize that having them simply load generated revenue for GateWorld.

EDIT: Does anyone know how to unblock something I have blocked? I can't figure it out. :confused:

Egeria
June 2nd, 2005, 11:32 AM
^ Here we go Major Tyler

Open Firefox then: Select Tools > Options > Web Features > Where it says load images (which should be checked) select Exceptions...a sub menu should open, highlight the site you want to unblock and the 'Remove Site' button should be active...just press it.

Hope this helps.:)

Abydosian
June 2nd, 2005, 11:55 AM
I won't discourage the use of ad blockers, as God knows I'd use 'em when browsing the Web. But just so that everyone is aware of the implications if you are a GateWorld fan:

GateWorld gets paid based on both impressions (number of times an ad loads) and click-thrus. So ads support the site and keep it online not just because some people click on ads, but because they appear on every page that each person browses. Blocking ads will reduce our impressions and, if enough people do it, our ad revenue, even if you would never have clicked on the ads anyway.

Darren
Regarding this point (just trying to help) for those who use Adlock extension on firefox (I know quite a lot of people do, it does it's job very well) there is an option in preferences (Tools --> Adblock --> Preferences) to hide ads or remove ads. By default, remove ads is selected (ads do not load). If you select hide ads, the ads will load (therefore giving the impression and therefore money for gateworld, I believe) but you will not see them. Therefore if you must use an adblocker, you can help gateworld as much as you would have done normally.

Edit: Confirmed from the adblock pages, if it helps

# But I want to support my favorite site! Can I set Adblock to download, and then hide stuff?
Yes, see next question.

# What's the difference between "hide" and "remove"?
"Hide" preserves a page's layout -- content being downloaded, but not visibly rendered.
"Remove" collapses the layout -- no content is downloaded.

I only posted this trying to help. If you have things blocked (such as common keywords etc.) that are causing the ads to be blocked and would like to see them, they can be removed from the prefences dialog too (if you use adblock)

Hope this helps.

Personally, I have a high tolerance for ads. I dont mind normal ads, google ads, the ads on the forum, etc. The only ads I normally block and cant stand are the types already descirbed - flashy, blinding, irritating annoying ads (You know the types, 'You may already be a winner!') and popups but hopefully we wont be seeing them here as noted in an earlier post :)

----

Edit: Saw this post earlier on and wanted to help, sorry if it is inappropriate

hehe, its a php script

How does one learn this power? :)
I apologise for this offtopic post, please feel free to remove it if needed, I just saw the question and wanted to help, and it's only quick.

I haven't tested it, but there are many PHP scripts ready made that will accomplish this, for example this one: http://www.phpfreaks.com/quickcode/Better-Random-Avatar-or-Signature/170.php (If it doesnt work, try doing a search on google for 'Random avatar" or "random signature script".

All you need is some hosting space on a server which supports PHP
--

Shipperahoy
June 2nd, 2005, 11:59 AM
I know that I have the option of right clicking on the site page and out of the list of options one says "Allow Ads From This Site" and then when you click on that it gives you a list of what kinds of ads you want to allow. Pop ups, banner ads, etc.

greytop
June 2nd, 2005, 12:45 PM
I don't mind some of the ads but the ones I don't like to see are the ones that you have the shoot to get something free, like the a Sony PSP (I'm see that one at the moment.)

My $.04 worth. (American)

Madeleine
June 2nd, 2005, 01:19 PM

If it does that to you, the way to get into amazon.com is by clicking on "Region 1 DVDs"

(Apologies if you already know that, my Clever Cunning tricks are very often other people's Thing Everyone But Madeleine Already Knew.)

Whistler
June 2nd, 2005, 01:26 PM
Here's an idea -- click on one of the advertising banners at least once a day (or week) -- and help GateWorld.

You can minimize the pop up window, let it run in the background, bring in some money for GateWorld, and look forward to spending more time at GateWorld Forum.

:)

Morjana

There are pop-ups now? :S My browser isn't saying it's blocking anything so, is there really a pop-up?

Abydosian
June 2nd, 2005, 01:31 PM
Forgive me if I'm incorrect, but I believe morjana meant the popup window that comes as a result of clicking on the advertising banners (it pops up in a new window, rather than taking over the current one)

Earlier on in the thread it was said:

- GateWorld does not allow pop-up, pop-under, or "In Vue" (layered on the screen over the page content) advertisements. If you see pop-ups while browsing GateWorld, you probably have adware that's snuck it's way onto your computer.

I at least have not seen any pop-up's so I believe this is what was meant. Please correct me if I am wrong :)

Whistler
June 2nd, 2005, 01:52 PM
Forgive me if I'm incorrect, but I believe morjana meant the popup window that comes as a result of clicking on the advertising banners (it pops up in a new window, rather than taking over the current one)

I at least have not seen any pop-up's so I believe this is what was meant. Please correct me if I am wrong :)

Cool, ok that's fair. :) ;)

Feli
June 2nd, 2005, 02:02 PM
If it does that to you, the way to get into amazon.com is by clicking on "Region 1 DVDs"

(Apologies if you already know that, my Clever Cunning tricks are very often other people's Thing Everyone But Madeleine Already Knew.)

I hadn't heard that before! I usually enter the URL once more, then I've apparently convinced amazon that I do want to visit their US site. Or google or yahoo or whatever.

Major Tyler
June 2nd, 2005, 02:38 PM
Open Firefox then: Select Tools > Options > Web Features > Where it says load images (which should be checked) select Exceptions...a sub menu should open, highlight the site you want to unblock and the 'Remove Site' button should be active...just press it.That removes any pictures that I've blocked, but the script is still blocked...do you know how to unblock a script?

Darren
June 2nd, 2005, 02:59 PM
Thanks, Abydosian! That's very helpful info.

kiwigater
June 4th, 2005, 04:18 AM
Well, the ads are still gone, but now I have in small type in the giant empty blue box
"Ask: Joe | Martin | BamBam".....

starfish
June 4th, 2005, 04:41 AM
Well, the ads are still gone, but now I have in small type in the giant empty blue box
"Ask: Joe | Martin | BamBam".....

For me its only the ad next to the "Gateworld Forum" logo bit that is missing, the ones at the very top of the page are still there. And under the "Ask..." bit I see a small advert for Rising via amazon.com.

knocknashee
June 4th, 2005, 05:12 AM
I don't know if anyone else has had this, but ever since the ad has been included at the top, I often get pages that load with just the ad, and the blue background and nothing else. It's getting very annoying now, not to mention how much of GWs bandwidth it's wasting...

Abydosian
June 4th, 2005, 05:17 AM
I've not had that personally happen - when it happens, does the browser display 'Done' (or similar depending on the borwser) and stop loading and conclude it's done, or does it try to continue loading but not get anywhere?

spg_1983
June 4th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Im reposting this from the thread i started redundantly. i think everything i say has been said already as well but ill post it any way to toss my two cents in.

first off let me say that i understand that ads are neccasary for running a no charge site like gateworld and dont have a problem with ads per se. that being said i would like to complain about the new ads that have been on gateworld and the forums lately. they are of the type that it says "shoot such and such" and win a free PSP. now like i said i understand ads are neccasary but i would think gateworld would be able to bring in more tasteful and relevent ads than these, plus these type of ads seriously slow down the speed that i can load the page at since i am on an older computer. i just wanted to ask an open question as to what was the reasoning or logic behind choosing to display these ads on the site?

Major Tyler
June 4th, 2005, 09:16 AM
i just wanted to ask an open question as to what was the reasoning or logic behind choosing to display these ads on the site?My understanding is that the reasoning and logic behind these ads is to raise money for a website that we all love. GateWorld not only gets money from people clicking on the ads, but also from having the ads simply load.

spg_1983
June 4th, 2005, 09:19 AM
My understanding is that the reasoning and logic behind these ads is to raise money for a website that we all love. GateWorld not only gets money from people clicking on the ads, but also from having the ads simply load.i understand that, i meant the reasoning and logic behind these specific ads not ads in general.

ShadowMaat
June 4th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Since someone asked without reading through the thread first (:P) I'll repost Darren's (and Greg's) comments about GW's advertising:

A little bit about GateWorld's advertising policy, which I hope will demonstrate how very conservative we are compared to most sites out there (especially most sites in the TV / movie / entertainment / young male primary demographic):

- GateWorld does not allow advertisements that link to sites that peddle in adware or scumware, when we are aware of it. (If you come across a suspect ad, please let us know!)

- GateWorld does not allow advertisements for alcohol, tobacco, or gambling.

- GateWorld does not allow adult-ish ads (like the lusty close-up on female body parts that one dating service is currently using in its online advertising).

- GateWorld does not allow deceptive advertisements. If we see anything like "You are today's winner! Click here to claim your prize!" we'll pull it faster than you can say "takunitagaminituron."

- GateWorld does not allow visually annoying advertisements. This is obviously a judgment call, and for the time being we've decided to allow some of the point-and-click ad "games" like the flittering PSPs. We don't allow anything that is extremely flashy and seizure-inducing like you will see elsewhere.

All in all, we hope that the ads strike a good balance between financially supporting the site and not crapping it up and making everyone leave. ;) Your suggestions to [email protected] are always coveted.

Darren

Darren

spg_1983
June 4th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Since someone asked without reading through the thread first (:P) I'll repost Darren's (and Greg's) comments about GW's advertising:hey now i was getting through them! there are a couple pages worth of posts to read!:p

ShadowMaat
June 4th, 2005, 10:27 AM
hey now i was getting through them! there are a couple pages worth of posts to read!:p
Yeah, well, generally one skins over a thread first to see if a question has been "asked and answered" already. :P And since you're not the only one who has "issues" with the flashy game ads, well... whatever.

It's good to bring up the answers like that now and again, anyway, just to keep 'em fresh in peoples' minds. :)

spg_1983
June 4th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Yeah, well, generally one skins over a thread first to see if a question has been "asked and answered" already. :P And since you're not the only one who has "issues" with the flashy game ads, well... whatever.

It's good to bring up the answers like that now and again, anyway, just to keep 'em fresh in peoples' minds. :)wel, not to split hairs i DID say that all my points had probably already addressed before i quoted my post from the thread i started, so there, covered on a technicality!:D

dipsofjazz
June 4th, 2005, 01:53 PM
I don't know if anyone else has had this, but ever since the ad has been included at the top, I often get pages that load with just the ad, and the blue background and nothing else. It's getting very annoying now, not to mention how much of GWs bandwidth it's wasting...

I have this very same problem when I use Internet Explorer. When I use Firefox all is well.

TechnoBoY
June 4th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Ad isnt really bothering me. At least its not popup.

ShadowMaat
June 4th, 2005, 03:18 PM
I can't say I've ever had ONLY the ad load, but there are times when it takes twice as long to load a page because of the ads. It actually seems worse for me in Firefox. I think the browser hates me, though. It crashes whenever I try to load mail.com, too. *sigh*

knocknashee
June 4th, 2005, 03:45 PM
I've not had that personally happen - when it happens, does the browser display 'Done' (or similar depending on the borwser) and stop loading and conclude it's done, or does it try to continue loading but not get anywhere?

It just says done, and doesn't do anything... :mad:

I have this very same problem when I use Internet Explorer. When I use Firefox all is well.

Glad it's not only me... :S

I can't say I've ever had ONLY the ad load, but there are times when it takes twice as long to load a page because of the ads. It actually seems worse for me in Firefox. I think the browser hates me, though. It crashes whenever I try to load mail.com, too. *sigh*

I've actually noticed that as well, which is another thing that is annoying me.

What makes it all the more annoying is, I can't even use most of the sites provided in the advertising, which is designed to support this site...

Abydosian
June 5th, 2005, 02:30 AM
Do you think when this happens (the page stops loading before being complete) you could go to View --> Source, and copy and paste the last few lines, so it's possible to pinpoint exactly where the browser stops, and then hopefully narrow down why.

knocknashee
June 5th, 2005, 06:36 AM
I know exactly why it happens...dodgy Java in .js files attached to the advertising...

It also happens to a lot of sites with the 'MakePovertyHistory' banner in the corner - I had it on my Joe Flanigan site, and people kept complaining that it failed to load - in the end I made my own banner with a link to keep the support showing on my site.

Also, when the host of the .js script goes down, it causes huge problems...and Google was having a few of those last night...Gmail was out for a good while yesterday...

ShadowMaat
June 5th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Anything that starts off: a.as-us.falkag.net gives me lots of trouble. It was actually crashing Firefox for a while and it still tends to slow things down. That seems to be true with IE, too. As long as the pages load, I can deal with a bit of slowdown. All in the name of keeping Gateworld online, right? :)

knocknashee
June 5th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Anything that starts off: a.as-us.falkag.net gives me lots of trouble. It was actually crashing Firefox for a while and it still tends to slow things down. That seems to be true with IE, too. As long as the pages load, I can deal with a bit of slowdown. All in the name of keeping Gateworld online, right? :)

I don't have a problem with slow loading...I can tolerate a loss in transmission speed, but when things just don't load at all, that is annoying...

And it doesn't help me to keep GW online...Amazon want $24 to deliver the Rising DVD to me in the UK in any decent amount of time, and still $8 to deliver it in six weeks. Almost all of the ads are US based as well...

I'd rather give money through PayPal to be honest...at least ALL users who want to could do that, and it would restore the performance of the site for all...at the end of the day, advertising that is detrimental to the usability of the site for a group of members are pointless.

JMHO...I know Darren doesn't want to go down that route...

prion
June 5th, 2005, 10:27 AM

I block all popups from all sites. They're a nuisance. I don't click on any ad on any site unless it's something I'm truly interested in, which 99 times out of 100, I'm not. Life's too short to spend time clicking on ads I don't care about ;)

SeaBee
June 5th, 2005, 12:22 PM
I also have no ads. I have 3 ad blockers on my pc from BT yahoo, Norton and Microsoft, and between them they seem to stop pretty well everything.

The only thing that I'm wondering is, if too many ads get blocked then surely it could jeopardise sponsorship deals, making running websites more expensive.

dipsofjazz
June 5th, 2005, 01:14 PM
I've been through all my security on my computer to see if I could find out why the page wouldn't load for Internet Explorer, and have discovered that I have to turn off "Spyware Doctor" to get the site.This is not very good, and I'm not too happy about that. :( When I use Firefox, I have no trouble at all, even with "Spyware Doctor" up and running. Perhaps somebody here can explain this to me (in very simple terms, please).

Hex.FTB.enabled
June 5th, 2005, 08:17 PM
While I understand y'all need to do the ad thing, I have to say: the one with the baby is just creeeeeeepy. :D

Agent_Dark
June 5th, 2005, 08:28 PM
I've been through all my security on my computer to see if I could find out why the page wouldn't load for Internet Explorer, and have discovered that I have to turn off "Spyware Doctor" to get the site.This is not very good, and I'm not too happy about that. :( When I use Firefox, I have no trouble at all, even with "Spyware Doctor" up and running. Perhaps somebody here can explain this to me (in very simple terms, please).
lol, maybe because Internet Explorer is a spawn of the devil and should be burned at the stake? :P
It's probably a conflict with that program. I don't use any of those types of things (other than the addblock extension for firefox). No problems with adds, adware or spyware (I use AdAware to scan every now and then) and it works fine for me. IMO those 'PC Health Programs' (like Nortans etc) just cause more problems than solve.

Firefox + addblock extension is the win :D

knocknashee
June 6th, 2005, 03:49 AM
lol, maybe because Internet Explorer is a spawn of the devil and should be burned at the stake? :P
It's probably a conflict with that program. I don't use any of those types of things (other than the addblock extension for firefox). No problems with adds, adware or spyware (I use AdAware to scan every now and then) and it works fine for me. IMO those 'PC Health Programs' (like Nortans etc) just cause more problems than solve.

Firefox + addblock extension is the win :D

I agree about IE, but sadly I have years of favourites that I still use stored in IE, and FF won't import them for love nor money...plus all my passwords, most of which I can't remember... :S

Agent_Dark
June 6th, 2005, 03:59 AM
I agree about IE, but sadly I have years of favourites that I still use stored in IE, and FF won't import them for love nor money...plus all my passwords, most of which I can't remember... :S
Really? When you install firefox, you can import all your favourites, passwords, history etc from IE into it...

Hex.FTB.enabled
June 7th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Extreme weirdness. Now anywhere I go on the forum, there is not one, but 15 ads stacked on top of each other so that I have to hit page down several times to get to the forum stuff. Is this happening to anyone else?

spg_1983
June 7th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Extreme weirdness. Now anywhere I go on the forum, there is not one, but 15 ads stacked on top of each other so that I have to hit page down several times to get to the forum stuff. Is this happening to anyone else?yeah i get that occasionally, when the ads dont just crash IE period

GatetheWay
June 7th, 2005, 10:24 PM
I have been having a really hard time getting on any GateWorld web pages ever since the adds have started. When I go on to GateWorld Home page or the forum nothing shows up it just gives me a blank GateWorld background and says its done loading. I was able to access the site from other compters but mine. I was really frustrated but i found out that I it would work temperarily if I deleted all the cookies on my computer. Then I could go on GateWorld for awhile till i start getting the google advertisments and when I got those it didn't work. Has this happened to anyone and is there anything else I can do so i don't have to constently delete my cookies all the time?

knocknashee
June 8th, 2005, 04:28 AM
Really? When you install firefox, you can import all your favourites, passwords, history etc from IE into it...

I figured it out...my FF isn't actually FireFox...it's FireBird...the amalgamated FireFox / ThunderBird hybrid. It never had an install routine like FF does...now I've installed the stand-alone version it works just fine...and I have all my faves, etc. After finding half a gig of crap left hidden around my drive from IE, I decided enough was enough!

And it is much better... :p

And, so far *fingers crossed* I've not had that freezing problem again since.

Now to get work to have it instead of IE... :S (More chance of flying to the moon!)

knocknashee
June 8th, 2005, 04:31 AM
I have been having a really hard time getting on any GateWorld web pages ever since the adds have started. When I go on to GateWorld Home page or the forum nothing shows up it just gives me a blank GateWorld background and says its done loading. I was able to access the site from other compters but mine. I was really frustrated but i found out that I it would work temperarily if I deleted all the cookies on my computer. Then I could go on GateWorld for awhile till i start getting the google advertisments and when I got those it didn't work. Has this happened to anyone and is there anything else I can do so i don't have to constently delete my cookies all the time?
Since Google's ads are Java-based, using a JS script to run, maybe it would help if you disabled Java for viewing GW...

Not that I'd advocate anything that steals away GW's advertising support, but if you are having such problems and it helps, it's worth a go...

FoolishPleasure
June 15th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Extreme weirdness. Now anywhere I go on the forum, there is not one, but 15 ads stacked on top of each other so that I have to hit page down several times to get to the forum stuff. Is this happening to anyone else?
It is spy/adware crap from advertisers. I had a major problem with it on my computer at work in the past week - nothing like closing 100's of pop-ups (we can't block pop-ups as we use some software for online work that has necessary popups in the program).

Yesterday a tech put some new anti-spyware software on my 'puter to block any offenders and close the offending site. . and. . you guessed it. . every time I log on to Gateworld, within a few minutes I'm getting a virus alert and it shuts down Gateworld as the offender. I know of at least one other forum user who had a total computer meltdown in the past week with spyware overdose and I'm also wondering if the new ads are affecting anyone else.

iLemon
June 15th, 2005, 06:22 AM
For all of you having trouble with ads-

You could try using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. Its great at blocking ads :D I havent had any problems with popups on this site.
If you've still got problems with addware, then get Norton Antivirus, or Spyware Doctor (which is free). They've worked great for me so far.
And also a great free add blocker- NoAds. It lets you choose which ads you want to block. :D

Hope this helps :D

Teal'c
June 19th, 2005, 07:10 PM

Take a page from the book of SomethingAwful.com and charge for membership of the message board and lose the obnoxious Jamster banners :P (Of course current members won't have to pay... *insert shifty eyes here*)

ShadowMaat
June 19th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Take a page from the book of SomethingAwful.com and charge for membership of the message board and lose the obnoxious Jamster banners :P (Of course current members won't have to pay... *insert shifty eyes here*)
That would wipe out 98% of the board's population and it STILL wouldn't get rid of the trolls. :rolleyes: I think Darren would collect money on the streets before he made GW a paid forum.

Now, paying to get an ad-free version might be more interesting, but just as unlikely.

GateWorld
June 20th, 2005, 02:01 PM
That may be an option down the road.

Darren

greytop
June 26th, 2005, 01:42 PM
I'm getting use to the hit to get one free ones at the top of the page except one of them. It there any way to turn the sound off that particular one? (The Star Wars one.)

GatetheWay
June 26th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Yes, the one with sound is really annoying. I don't mind the flashing words and stuff but for it to have sound just crosses the line. There needs to be a way to turn it off!

Atteria
June 26th, 2005, 02:54 PM
That would wipe out 98% of the board's population and it STILL wouldn't get rid of the trolls. :rolleyes: I think Darren would collect money on the streets before he made GW a paid forum.

Now, paying to get an ad-free version might be more interesting, but just as unlikely.

Trolls? We have trolls??? Ack!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Sorry, I just couldn't resist, I guess I've been reading too much fantasy lately. :rolleyes:

And to stay on thread, I don't get any ads, nada. I use several blockers and they work great. :D However, IF Darren did ever decide that the Forum should have a fee attached, I'd still want to be a member.

prion
June 26th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Yes, the one with sound is really annoying. I don't mind the flashing words and stuff but for it to have sound just crosses the line. There needs to be a way to turn it off!

Yes, the Star Wars ad with the TIE fighters is VERY annoying. I can understand the forum needs advertisement to support it, but the sound is intrusive. I'm learning to just turn off the speakers when I go to gateworld. Period.

Are there any blockers out there that will kill these ads?

TechnoWraith
June 26th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Yes, the Star Wars ad with the TIE fighters is VERY annoying. I can understand the forum needs advertisement to support it, but the sound is intrusive. I'm learning to just turn off the speakers when I go to gateworld. Period.

Are there any blockers out there that will kill these ads?

Just about any typical ad-blocker/pop-up blocker will kill the ads. I just have Gate World on the "safe list" - I allow the ads to come through, because GW loses revenue if ads are blocked using an ad blocker. Darren explained it somewhere around here. (Probably in this very thread a few pages back) that the ads pay based on whether they load and the number of times they load (They load every time you change pages here at GW). It might only be a fraction of a cent per load, but if you think of how many times you change pages here at GW, those fractions of a cent add up really quick. So if you use an ad/pop-up blocker, the ads won't pay if they can't load.

Although i will agree that the Tie Fighter ad is annoying in respect to the sound issue. There really should be a way to kill the ad's sound level, because i always listen to MP3's while i surf. Nothing sounds more jarring than Tie fighter sounds playing over your MP3's.

Nikkirose
June 26th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Just about any typical ad-blocker/pop-up blocker will kill the ads. I just have Gate World on the "safe list" - I allow the ads to come through, because GW loses revenue if ads are blocked using an ad blocker. Darren explained it somewhere around here. (Probably in this very thread a few pages back) that the ads pay based on whether they load and the number of times they load (They load every time you change pages here at GW). It might only be a fraction of a cent per load, but if you think of how many times you change pages here at GW, those fractions of a cent add up really quick. So if you use an ad/pop-up blocker, the ads won't pay if they can't load.

Although i will agree that the Tie Fighter ad is annoying in respect to the sound issue. There really should be a way to kill the ad's sound level, because i always listen to MP3's while i surf. Nothing sounds more jarring than Tie fighter sounds playing over your MP3's.
I'm with you on this one! I cant listen to my music on here while I dink around. The louder I turn my music up, the louder the ad gets!! I hope theres a way to solve this particular problem with this ad!

odinseye
June 26th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Or... they could just have paid subscriptions to the site. Not everyone would joining of course but there would be a lot who would I am sure. just a couple bucks a month, no more then 25-30 bucks a year, the ad's dont exist for those who are subscribed and to those who are not.... gateworld would be able to be more selective with what they put on I think.

I would be the one of the first to sign up for this. Nothing special needs to be given - Maybe just a little * by the user name IE: *odinseye - to show the person is subscribed. Other then that - just go about the site.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
To quote FoolishPleasure (a User Here)

I do enjoy coming to GW on a daily basis. If money is an issue in regards to placing this site in a more reliable setting (with or without bananas), then I'm all for skipping Starbucks a few mornings a month and contributing.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That was from another thread, but it applys the same - the site is very reliable for the most part now, but I would still like to contibute in a way without tye fighter in my face.

greytop
June 29th, 2005, 12:21 AM
I'm giving 5 grins to whoever turned off the sound to the Star Wars ad!

:D :D :D :D :D

greytop
November 25th, 2005, 11:45 AM
I'm getting a new annoying ad at the top of the page. Ringers: Lord of the Fans. When you roll over it (it has a drop down) and don't get off of it quick enough it will start playing the video. I tried to close it but it won't close. I have to site and get back on especially when it is over the top when I to get back on My Controls site.

Has anybody else been having this problem?

FoolishPleasure
November 25th, 2005, 11:50 AM
I'm getting a new annoying ad at the top of the page. Ringers: Lord of the Fans. When you roll over it (it has a drop down) and don't get off of it quick enough it will start playing the video. I tried to close it but it won't close. I have to site and get back on especially when it is over the top when I to get back on My Controls site.

I'm having probs with that too - blocks part of the forum and it is incredibly annoying!! Any way that ad can "disappear"? Or does GW have no control over which ads are put up?

prion
November 25th, 2005, 12:15 PM
I'm having probs with that too - blocks part of the forum and it is incredibly annoying!! Any way that ad can "disappear"? Or does GW have no control over which ads are put up?

Yeah, I'm so sick of the LOTR ad I'll never watch the movies now!

TechnoWraith
November 25th, 2005, 09:36 PM

I just keep my mouse pointer toward the bottom of the screen to avoid rolling over the LotR ad. (Yes, it's rather annoying, as once you get stuck with the video playing, there's no way to close the ad).

As for choosing ads, that's out of GW's control because the Ad Host determines which ads get displayed and for how long each ad gets displayed.

Skydiver
November 26th, 2005, 09:13 AM
we can't do anything about the ads, like techno said, they're under control of a third party.

if one is particularly offensive or icky, darren can look into it and ask to have that ad pulled from the rotation.

LaCroix
November 26th, 2005, 09:27 AM
The only one that seemed to bothersome was the screensavers by Mr. Freeze.
I don't know if it was just me, or when the forum was running real slow, having that ad seemed to make the forum run slower.

Skydiver
November 26th, 2005, 09:32 AM
i could certainly be wrong, but it seems to be my impressoin that the pages are set up so that the ads load first, then the rest of the page. and if the ads are on a slow server, they slow things down because the rest of the page is bottlenecked behind the ads

does my theory have any validity? dunno, i'm pretty computer illiterate, jsut seems to be how things work to me

TechnoWraith
November 26th, 2005, 09:55 AM
i could certainly be wrong, but it seems to be my impressoin that the pages are set up so that the ads load first, then the rest of the page. and if the ads are on a slow server, they slow things down because the rest of the page is bottlenecked behind the ads

does my theory have any validity? dunno, i'm pretty computer illiterate, jsut seems to be how things work to me

Your theory is correct. That's the way ad hosts run their ads. Ad hosts pay you to let their ads load on your page. Therefore, the ads load first, followed by your pages content. If Ads are hosted on a slow server, then yes, it will cause your page to slow down, too. Ads won't (or at least shouldn't) affect how users navigate and use your page. (If an ad does effect page usage, contact the Ad host immediately. I ran into that issue once when i hosted ads from a particular ad host, and i've since stopped hosting their ads because they never fixed the problem).

greytop
November 26th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Your theory is correct. That's the way ad hosts run their ads. Ad hosts pay you to let their ads load on your page. Therefore, the ads load first, followed by your pages content. If Ads are hosted on a slow server, then yes, it will cause your page to slow down, too. Ads won't (or at least shouldn't) affect how users navigate and use your page. (If an ad does effect page usage, contact the Ad host immediately. I ran into that issue once when i hosted ads from a particular ad host, and i've since stopped hosting their ads because they never fixed the problem).I understand what you are saying but partlutiar ad you roll over sometime the roll stay on and the video starts playing and you hit the close button it stays on and doesn't close. It cover the top part of the page where the FAQ and the rest of down into the top of the first post on the page. That is what I am complaining about.

Skydiver
November 26th, 2005, 11:54 AM
greytop, that'd be a question for darren to see if there's something in the ad he can get changed or tweaked.

greytop
November 26th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Thank's, skydiver and also for the PM. It worked. :)

Skydiver
November 26th, 2005, 01:25 PM
glad to hear :)

Crichton
November 27th, 2005, 03:11 AM
I haven't read through any of the posts...I assume you're all talking about RINGERS: Lord of the Fans. I actually wanted to see it for a little bit, then I vowed to never buy it or see it because it would only encourage more of the most annoying ads ever made.

greytop
November 28th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Skydiver, I still have my flash disable, as you suggested, and it worked for a couple of days. It started up again to day.

Skydiver
November 28th, 2005, 07:08 PM
sometimes i still get moving ads and i think those are .gif files

whenever a flash as is disabled, you'll see a little yellow triangle with a gear on top of it in the lower left part of your browser window