PDA

View Full Version : What 'gear' do they wear/take off-world?

Terrarin
May 30th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Hiking through the Shenandoah Mountains yesterday, carrying a fairly light pack, I started to wonder, "What types of things does an SG team carry with them when they walk through the gate?" Weight is always an issue when carrying survival gear and I started adding it up.

1.) What do you think they take with them?

3.)I wonder how much weight do you think they each carry on standard recon missions? And where do they put it?

3.)Not being a weapons person, what do you think would be the weight of just those things: Weapons: BigOne (Each has a different one, right?), Sidearm, Knife, lotsa ammo, Claymores, C4, anything else...

MRE's (Meals-Ready-to-Eat) - They're heavy!
Water - How much? It's heavy!

_Owen_
May 30th, 2005, 04:26 PM
It really depends what you have in them to determine what they weigh. I know in training they run drills with backpacks with 20 to 30 pound weights in them, maybe more!

Owen Macri

Colonel Sharp
May 30th, 2005, 05:52 PM
I'm geussing on what type of enviroment it is depends on the amount and catagory of things they bring. I hike the AT a little bit every year and have a water pureifier, which comes in handy. I'm geussing sg-1 has a water pureifier no matter what the enviroment.

_Owen_
May 30th, 2005, 06:20 PM
You are right, if the Stargate was located in a desert climate, you wouldn't need earmuffs. lol. A lot of the equipment is climatorialy selected. However there is the standard gear that they will take everywhere.

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
May 30th, 2005, 08:04 PM
What happened to FRED from the earlier episodes? It must have been a lot easier to just have one of those carry your pack.

Panther
May 30th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Probably:

Primary Arm, Sidearm, Knife, Ammunition, 2x M67 HE grenades.

Load Bearing Gear:
-BlackHawkOmega Medical/Utility Vest
-BlackHawk 60SLBP
-Zat Holster or Blackhawk Omega VI tactical pistol holster in Black.

Headgear: Boonie or fatigue cap, MICH helmet stowed for emergencies.
Communications Gear: Some kiddie walkie talkie.
Eyewear:Ballistic Goggles or SWDs.

Clothing:
-OD BDU Pants
-OD WEP G-8 Jacket
-Magnum "Response" Boots, lace up.

Sustenance:
-1-2x 1 quart canteens
-MREs
-Filtration Equipment
Extra Equipment:

Binoculars
-GDO
-Spare batteries for all electronic equipment plus spare bulbs for all lights.
-1st Aid Kit

All that comes to mind now...

_Owen_
May 31st, 2005, 01:59 PM
Don't forget season one of MacGyver, a dvd player and t.v. Just incase they need to make a bomb out of a lock of hair, a toothpick, and band-aid. lol. MacGyver is cool.

Owen Macri

SeaBee
June 1st, 2005, 04:52 AM
Depending on the environment they would also probably have some sort of emergency shelter.

immhotep
June 1st, 2005, 12:57 PM
and C4, carters tech pen - u know the one that she and ckay use to fiddle around with tech( PJ and the like), jacksons books!

Brian2103
June 1st, 2005, 01:48 PM
Depends on the mission. A lot of times in season one, you see SG-1 lugging the huge backpacks around on a lot of their missions. The more recent seasons, they tend just to go through with their standard equipment and their vests with 'magic' pockets, because they really pull out anything they want from them. =)

Last time I saw poor FRED was Season 6, 'The Other Guys'. Had a crate of MREs on it. I think they might have shipped him out to Atlantis though.

But yeah. If it's a long mission, around 12-24+ hours, they'd probably have their packs on to carry the stuff they need. For a short recon mission, probably nothing other than standard equipment.

_Owen_
June 1st, 2005, 02:27 PM
That is because in season one they didn't really know what was out there, they had only been through the gate a couple times, they took enough stuff to be prepared for everything.

In the later seaons a lot of the time they knew what they would be facing, so they didn't have to take every last piece of equipment.

Owen Macri

Terrarin
June 1st, 2005, 04:42 PM
Probably:
Primary Arm, Sidearm, Knife, Ammunition, 2x M67 HE grenades.

Load Bearing Gear:
-BlackHawkOmega Medical/Utility Vest
-BlackHawk 60SLBP
-Zat Holster or Blackhawk Omega VI tactical pistol holster in Black.

Eyewear:Ballistic Goggles or SWDs.

Clothing:
-OD BDU Pants
-OD WEP G-8 Jacket
-Magnum "Response" Boots, lace up.

1-2x 1 quart canteens
MREs
Filtration Equipment
Binoculars, GDO, Spare batteries for all electronic equipment plus spare bulbs for all lights, 1st Aid Kit

Whoa, Panther! The depth of your answer...well, a little scary actually. But thanks. If you had to estimate the total pack weight of what you've listed, what would you say?

Many others made good points that it would depend on the type of mission. But I don't often see packs...And with what they carry, they often have to run, too.

I looked up some weights of some pretty standard stuff:
P-90 + 2 extra clips: 8 lbs
Claymores (they always seem to have at least 4) 3.5 lbs each
MRE's: 1.5 lbs
Water:~2lbs per liter
+plus other semi-heavy stuff which would add up fast...flashlight, binoculars, sidearm/ammo, grenades, first aid, radio, GDO...and yes, Daniel's notebook

Anyway, it's all a little intimidating to me. Guess I would really need to start some more serious weight training before heading out with the SG teams!

_Owen_
June 1st, 2005, 05:58 PM
When you think about it, it realy doesn't matter what they weigh, when they need something it will magically apear, straight from the hands of the props guys... lol.

Owen Macri

Panther
June 2nd, 2005, 01:13 AM
Whoa, Panther! The depth of your answer...well, a little scary actually. But thanks. If you had to estimate the total pack weight of what you've listed, what would you say?

Many others made good points that it would depend on the type of mission. But I don't often see packs...And with what they carry, they often have to run, too.

I looked up some weights of some pretty standard stuff:
P-90 + 2 extra clips: 8 lbs
Claymores (they always seem to have at least 4) 3.5 lbs each
MRE's: 1.5 lbs
Water:~2lbs per liter
+plus other semi-heavy stuff which would add up fast...flashlight, binoculars, sidearm/ammo, grenades, first aid, radio, GDO...and yes, Daniel's notebook

Anyway, it's all a little intimidating to me. Guess I would really need to start some more serious weight training before heading out with the SG teams!
It's called special ops selection and training... :D

_Owen_
June 2nd, 2005, 10:16 PM
I agree your post was very detailed.

Owen Macri

Terrarin
June 5th, 2005, 09:40 AM
When you think about it, it realy doesn't matter what they weigh, when they need something it will magically apear, straight from the hands of the props guys... lol.
Owen Macri

Hee, Hee. Sometimes, the SG world gets a little too real--I have got to remember IT IS JUST A TV SHOW. Prop guys. Yeah.

_Owen_
June 5th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Well, we don't have to remember that it is just a T.V. show, it is much more fun, when it seems real, so forget about my post. What actually happens is the Ancients beam stuff into thier packs when they need it!

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 5th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Or they can make stuff with their minds :D If all else fails, they do have Maguiver(sp) on their side...

_Owen_
June 5th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Lol, ya Macgyver could deffinetly make anything they needed.

Of course you forget about thier special matter energy converters, they are invisible, and they convert energy into matter, but they are so top secret, even they don't know they have them, the only person on Earth who knows about them is Siler, he sneaks them into thier packs before each mission, when they need something it reads the neuro-electrical impluses in thier brains to find out what the need and then it is magicaly materialized in thier bags.

Except when they need a bomb, when they need a bomb, Macgyver does that, he just uses a lock of hair, a Q-Tip, and a tube of toothpaste. lol.

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 5th, 2005, 10:58 AM
You're forgetting Daniels magical ability to see into the future and bring the Q-tips and toothpaste! :P

_Owen_
June 5th, 2005, 11:00 AM
That an Carters magical ability to wait around for a couple minutes and then when they can't get the toothpaste to explode, she will pull a real bomb out of her bag, lol.

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 5th, 2005, 11:04 AM
You're forgetting Daniels magical ability to see into the future and bring the Q-tips and toothpaste! :P(sorry to quote myself)

...And TPTB's power to see into future plotlines. It's almost mystical!:eek: How do they do it?..:rolleyes:

_Owen_
June 5th, 2005, 11:06 AM
They have very big cases of beer. lol.

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 5th, 2005, 11:08 AM
And 'scripts', whatever those are. I think that's where their magical powers come from.

_Owen_
June 5th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Could be, I never realy thought of it, lol.

Owen Macri

Hudson
June 5th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Sod that, bring the A team with them. give them a piece of bubblegum, a calculator and some cabbages and BAM - T72 tank :D

Matt G
June 5th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Sod that, bring the A team with them. give them a piece of bubblegum, a calculator and some cabbages and BAM - T72 tank :D

Thought that was McGyver?*memories of A Team are hazy anyway*

Hudson
June 5th, 2005, 03:00 PM
tis both. the A team have a nack for mcgyvering things

_Owen_
June 5th, 2005, 03:06 PM
I haven't seen the A team, but if they brought them they would need to pay more people, they already have Richard Dean Anderson.

Owen Macri

Verona
June 5th, 2005, 03:10 PM
[QUOTE=Brian2103]Depends on the mission. A lot of times in season one, you see SG-1 lugging the huge backpacks around on a lot of their missions. The more recent seasons, they tend just to go through with their standard equipment and their vests with 'magic' pockets, because they really pull out anything they want from them. =)

Ha! I would put money on the reason the huge backpacks dissappeared is because the actors refused to lug them around anymore.
I'm pretty sure even a basic pack weighs 60/70 LBS and an offworld pack would certainly require more gear not just the vests/belts sg1 take.

_Owen_
June 5th, 2005, 03:52 PM
That is probably one of the reasons why they got rid of them, and the producers didn't think they were necesary anymore. For the movie and the first couple of episodes it was all right to take everything but the kitchen sink, and sometimes even that, but then it became less and less necesary, it just didn't seem like they needed them anymore.

Owen Macri

starfish
June 5th, 2005, 04:05 PM
I haven't seen the A team, but if they brought them they would need to pay more people, they already have Richard Dean Anderson.
I used to have a secondhand A Team sweater when I was a kid. Pity I never watched it or that would've meant a lot more to me. :rolleyes: lol

For Atlantis what FREDS they may or may not have taken with them is pretty much irrelevant since they discovered the Jumpers, and on the jumpers they can take McKay's touch screen computer thingy. Although not all missions use the Jumpers so they must still have some need to carefully pack supplies and gear for their trips. lol. I keep seeing fanfic referring (sp?) to the Life Signs Detectors as LSD. 'Rodney safely stowed the LSD for the trip' :rolleyes:

_Owen_
June 5th, 2005, 06:53 PM
That is what I was thinking when I read your post, they don't need FREDs because they have jumpers, FREDs can only travel on land, Jumpers can fly...

Yes when I was watching some of the episodes I thought of calling it an LSD but then I thought it might be to much like the drug, and I didn't want that.

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 5th, 2005, 07:20 PM
I guess thats why we're not allowed to name anything. Ever.

Panther
June 5th, 2005, 07:43 PM
As usual. TV actor, are wittwe babies that need thier bottawe. Geez, is it so hard to start phys training for a TV show. I mean seriously, you're getting paid to buff up...what more could you ask for?

_Owen_
June 5th, 2005, 08:13 PM
I see your point. lol.

Owen Macri

starfish
June 6th, 2005, 10:23 AM
That is what I was thinking when I read your post, they don't need FREDs because they have jumpers, FREDs can only travel on land, Jumpers can fly...
What your saying make lots of sense and is very logical :D... I could swear my post was more insightful when I made it!!! :o :p well that's what I get for trying to post when I'm half asleep. :rolleyes: lol.

_Owen_
June 6th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Your post was insightfull as well, but if you were half asleep you just couldn't expand on it farther, because you were asleep... Lol, am I going in circles? Thank you for the compliment!

Owen Macri

sharky277
June 9th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Picture! http://www.sg-command.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=39

sharky277
June 9th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Great Info!
http://www.wolfpack-scifi.org/sg1.html

_Owen_
June 9th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Nice links!

Owen Macri