Alan Cumming .... Kurt Wagner/Nightcrawler
Maggie Grace .... Kitty Pride
Kelsey Grammer .... Hank McCoy/Beast
Hugh Jackman .... Logan/Wolverine
Famke Janssen .... Jean Grey/Phoenix
Vinnie Jones .... Cain Marko/Juggernaut
Ian McKellen .... Eric Lensherr/Magneto
Patrick Stewart .... Professor Charles Xavier

Halle Berry is rumored to be coming back only if she gets a pay raise and more screen time.

grendelsbayne
May 28th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Kelsey Grammer?! An X-man? Beast is not THAT intellectual... :S

Tanit
May 28th, 2005, 08:45 AM
I'm pretty sure Kelsey Grammer is furry enough to play Beast without too much makeup. Simply toss him in a rinse with some blue Rit. ;)

TheObiJuan
May 28th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Beast was buff, kelsey is not. ???

I hope they don't succumb to Halle's bs. I would like to see more of colossus.

Tanit
May 28th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Beast was buff, kelsey is not. ???

I was joking. :S I'm fairly certain no matter who plays Beast, they'll be sealed up in a prosthetic suit - bulging muscles and blue fur included. I can't think of anyone who is truly built like Beast is.

grendelsbayne
May 28th, 2005, 09:18 AM
This is the same Kelsey Grammer from Cheers, yes? I'm not totally insane?

Because I really don't think I can get used to hearing Dr. Frasier Crane on the X-men...

"You know, Juggernaut, have you ever tried telling your brother how hurt you were?"

Not gonna work...

Trek_Girl42
May 24th, 2006, 06:48 PM
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23426

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23427

Here's to hoping that other opinions/reviews are more favourable- it seems everything I feared about this film has come to pass, anyone have a review, post it! I'm still up for persuading to see it in theaters, otherwise it just sounds like a rental. :(

RealmOfX
May 24th, 2006, 08:22 PM
I just saw X3 this morning !!

Beast was great
SFX was great
Music was great
I'm still making up my mind about the story

the fifth man
May 24th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Personally, I still look forward to seeing it. I'll judge it myself. I've loved a lot of movies others have hated.:)

kmiller1610
May 24th, 2006, 11:35 PM
X3: The Reunion, from egosoft

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/x3reunion/review.html?q=X3%20reunion

They gave it a 7.2. I've been playing it for almost 6 months. Great game.

Captain Reynolds
May 24th, 2006, 11:44 PM
http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=reviews&id=6748 here's another review.

here is another one

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=reviews&id=6760

frankly I'm really not looking forward to this.

HyperCaz
May 25th, 2006, 02:42 AM
Plot - not as developed and sound as the previous two
characters - ditto
incessant sad things - gah

scifi_girl
May 25th, 2006, 03:20 AM
i havent seen it yet im hoping to go and see it this weekend. i think it looks great, from what i've seen in trailers

Trek_Girl42
May 25th, 2006, 08:26 AM
I was.....but I'm not going to waste money on a theater ticket for a movie that will probably leave me severely disappointed.....it sounds like a rental.

I mean 97 minutes? Come on.....:S

Blitz
May 25th, 2006, 08:32 AM
I'll admit to not reading the reviews - but thats because they only look at it from one persons opinion generally. I could love a film and think its AMAZING, others can hate it.

Kingdom Hearts, the idea was hated, and was at times blasted for its 'strange combination' fo disney and square enix: BUT its turned out to be one of the most anticipated (the sequel) and adored game I know of.

So Don't trust other peoples views, they're never FULLY the same.

LtColCarter
May 25th, 2006, 12:04 PM
I was.....but I'm not going to waste money on a theater ticket for a movie that will probably leave me severely disappointed.....it sounds like a rental.

I mean 97 minutes? Come on.....:S

Pssh...I'll be seeing the digital version at 12:01am! ;) If I'm not to sleepy when I pull myself home from the movie...I'll let ya know how it turns out. From the previews it looks excellent.

Like a few others have commented on here...I don't base much on reviews. A lot of people like the two Kill Bill movies and I thought they were the biggest waste of celluloid since the dawn of motion pictures.

So, lets wait and see what happens on the big screen! :D

Mattathias2.0
May 25th, 2006, 01:38 PM
I saw a screening of it last night...

- No Nightcrawler.
- Cyclops has a very small role in the film, which for me is good.
- Scenes in the movie don't seem to flow as much as they did in the first and second films. This may be due to changes with directors.
- Great actions sequences throughout the movie... better than the first two combined.
- Continiuity error: Beast appears in this film as a mutant, however, in the second film, Beast makes a cameo as Dr. Hank McCoy on a TV in human form. This contradicts what he says about fighting for mutant rights for "years".
- Many "deaths", including Cyclops by Jean Grey/Phoenix, Professor X by Jean Grey/Phoenix, and finally Jean Grey/Phoenix by Wolverine. There is a scene following the credits which reveals that Professor X did survive.
- A number of mutants loose their abilities: Mystique is the first to and is subsequently abandoned by Magneto. Magneto supposedly looses his power by 4 injections (instead of only one that Mystique got), but seemingly at the end, he has retained some power. Rouge looses hers by choice.
- Warren Worthington III/Angel has hardly any part in the film.
- The Pyro/Iceman face-off is alluded to throughout the film, yet the fight doesn't last that long.

I don't have a complete opinion yet of the film, besides that the plot was subsequently weaker than the first two, this film was less coherent than the first two, but has some of the greatest moments and battles than the first two combined.

Mattathias

RealmOfX
May 25th, 2006, 01:55 PM

- No Nightcrawler.
- Scenes in the movie don't seem to flow as much as they did in the first and second films. This may be due to changes with directors.
- Great actions sequences throughout the movie... better than the first two combined.
- Continiuity error: Beast appears in this film as a mutant, however, in the second film, Beast makes a cameo as Dr. Hank McCoy on a TV in human form. This contradicts what he says about fighting for mutant rights for "years".
- Many "deaths", including Cyclops by Jean Grey/Phoenix, Professor X by Jean Grey/Phoenix, and finally Jean Grey/Phoenix by Wolverine. There is a scene following the credits which reveals that Professor X did survive.
- A number of mutants loose their abilities: Mystique is the first to and is subsequently abandoned by Magneto. Magneto supposedly looses his power by 4 injections (instead of only one that Mystique got), but seemingly at the end, he has retained some power. Rouge looses hers by choice.
- The Pyro/Iceman face-off is alluded to throughout the film, yet the fight doesn't last that long.

I don't have a complete opinion yet of the film, besides that the plot was subsequently weaker than the first two, this film was less coherent than the first two, but has some of the greatest moments and battles than the first two combined.

Mattathias

Yeah, I seem to feel along the same lines as you. I think not having Singer for the film may have made a difference. I will be seeing it again next week so I will probably have a more definite opinion then. Definitely worth seeing, visually it is quite spectacular, now if I could just feel better about the storyline......

Mattathias2.0
May 25th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I seem to feel along the same lines as you. I think not having Singer for the film may have made a difference. I will be seeing it again next week so I will probably have a more definite opinion then. Definitely worth seeing, visually it is quite spectacular, now if I could just feel better about the storyline......

Well, Bryan Singer chose to leave to film Superman Returns, so they brought in Matthew Vaughn (Layer Cake) who worked on some of it... but then withdrew because of family issues, so then Brett Ratner was brought in. He was one of the ones orginally considered for directing the original/first film.

Mattathias

the fifth man
May 25th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Well, I know I can't wait to see it. Get my own opinion.

the fifth man
May 25th, 2006, 07:29 PM
So, lets wait and see what happens on the big screen! :D

Indeed!:) I know I'm still trying to stay positive about this one.

RealmOfX
May 25th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Well, I know I can't wait to see it. Get my own opinion.

It's definitely worth it. My problem is I have been reading the comics for 35 years and I am a mad fan so I can get a bit picky at times. I'm definitely going back to see it again next week so it certainly ain't bad :D

warmbeachbrat
May 26th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Here's a positive review (I think it may contain a spoiler or two):

http://www.crosswalk.com/fun/movies/1398727.html

Naonak
May 26th, 2006, 06:27 AM
I saw the film yesterday, and in my opinion the only thing stopping it from being the best of the trilogy is the short running time and the effects of that - it made the film feel a bit rushed and disjointed at times, trying to fit so much into an hour and a half. An extra 30 minutes and it would have topped X2 (as it is, I prefer it to the first one).
The action scenes were great, especially Wolverine and Beast in the climactic battle. Speaking of Beast, he looked pretty good, if a tiny bit daft. Special effects were also great. Thought the story was pretty good, and the ruthlessness of the character killing was almost like 24.

9/10

warmbeachbrat
May 26th, 2006, 06:41 AM
It's definitely worth it. My problem is I have been reading the comics for 35 years and I am a mad fan so I can get a bit picky at times. I'm definitely going back to see it again next week so it certainly ain't bad :D

Wow! And I thought I had been reading them for a long time (25 years). I think almost the first thing I read was the Dark Phoenix Saga, so I'm a bit apprehensive about the movie. If I remember right, the first time I heard about the X-men was an X-men/Fantastic Four crossover when Kitty was about 13 and had a crush on Colussus--but I'd have to go through my comics to be sure.

LtColCarter
May 26th, 2006, 06:53 AM
I saw it last night as well...and I agree with your assessment (almost) LOL. I commented within your spoiler below...I used a differnt color font so it would stand out.

- No Nightcrawler.
- Cyclops has a very small role in the film, which for me is good. With this one...I disagree...I love Cyclops. Very easy on the eyes.
- Scenes in the movie don't seem to flow as much as they did in the first and second films. This may be due to changes with directors. 200% Agreed!
- Great actions sequences throughout the movie... better than the first two combined. Don' agree as much...but do agree that the action was excellent!
- Many "deaths", including Cyclops by Jean Grey/Phoenix, Professor X by Jean Grey/Phoenix, and finally Jean Grey/Phoenix by Wolverine. There is a scene following the credits which reveals that Professor X did survive. Well, **** in the bed! I was staying until after the credits...but there was a celluloid burn out! :(
- A number of mutants loose their abilities: Mystique is the first to and is subsequently abandoned by Magneto. Magneto supposedly looses his power by 4 injections (instead of only one that Mystique got), but seemingly at the end, he has retained some power. Rouge looses hers by choice. Rouge looses hers because she is a horn dog and wants Iceman's icicle! BTW...I loved seeing Iceman in full icy form!
- Warren Worthington III/Angel has hardly any part in the film. This is true...he was sadly underused!
- The Pyro/Iceman face-off is alluded to throughout the film, yet the fight doesn't last that long. Agree here as well. It would've been cool if he made some ice tracks like he used to on the Saturday morning cartoons!

Mattathias

Well, my comments were made with in Mattathias' spoiler area above. My comments are in red. I agree that the plot here was very week. Over all I enjoyed the movie...even though there was a celluloid burn out inthe middle of the credits. I do wanna go see the movie again before I make a final assessment.

RealmOfX
May 26th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Wow! And I thought I had been reading them for a long time (25 years). I think almost the first thing I read was the Dark Phoenix Saga, so I'm a bit apprehensive about the movie. If I remember right, the first time I heard about the X-men was an X-men/Fantastic Four crossover when Kitty was about 13 and had a crush on Colussus--but I'd have to go through my comics to be sure.

Yep, you are remembering right. The crossover started the Phoenix storyline where Jean Grey came back and then they had the Dark Phoenix Saga. Excellent stuff!!

The movie is totally different though, not bad just different. That's probably why I'm have trouble deciding if I like the storyline.

Heh heh I really am a mad fan and comic collector - That's where my user name comes from :D

LtColCarter
May 26th, 2006, 06:57 AM
I saw it last night...as I mentioned in another thread. All in all I enjoyed it, but as another poster mentioned...it was rushed and disjoined. Plus, there was a celluloid burn out at the end...so I didn't get to see the special thingie at the end of the movie (AKA a movie Easter Egg...if you will).

shovar
May 26th, 2006, 06:58 AM

- No Nightcrawler.

Mattathias

If you have looked in the past at X-Men, Hank McCoy could control his bestial urges. He looked like a human for most of his life, but lately he couldn't control it. That is how he was a human in number 2

LtColCarter
May 26th, 2006, 07:00 AM
If you have looked in the past at X-Men, Hank McCoy could control his bestial urges. He looked like a human for most of his life, but lately he couldn't control it. That is how he was a human in number 2

Good point...and one which I forgot about myself. Thanks for the refresher!

warmbeachbrat
May 26th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Yep, you are remembering right. The crossover started the Phoenix storyline where Jean Grey came back and then they had the Dark Phoenix Saga. Excellent stuff!!

The movie is totally different though, not bad just different. That's probably why I'm have trouble deciding if I like the storyline.

Heh heh I really am a mad fan and comic collector - That's where my user name comes from :D

I had to stop collecting a few years back--there were far too many X-titles and my meager budget just couldn't take it any more. But I do have the first 50-100 issues or so of New Mutants, Excalibur (the one I miss the most), Wolverine, X-men (the not-Uncanny series), and a few other assorted odds and ends to go along with my Uncanny issues. And that's just my X-men collection....:D

Anyway, the last eight or nine years, I've been clueless. I did see somewhere that Storm is going to marry the Black Panther. Maybe it's because I'm not up to date on things, but I really liked her with Forge.

Would you mind terribly giving me a quick rundown on what's happening in the X-men universe these days?

warmbeachbrat
May 26th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Is there some overwhelming reason that they kept the movie so short? I mean, do they have some rationale? Who makes these decisions?

RealmOfX
May 26th, 2006, 08:01 AM
I had to stop collecting a few years back--there were far too many X-titles and my meager budget just couldn't take it any more. But I do have the first 50-100 issues or so of New Mutants, Excalibur (the one I miss the most), Wolverine, X-men (the not-Uncanny series), and a few other assorted odds and ends to go along with my Uncanny issues. And that's just my X-men collection....:D

Anyway, the last eight or nine years, I've been clueless. I did see somewhere that Storm is going to marry the Black Panther. Maybe it's because I'm not up to date on things, but I really liked her with Forge.

Would you mind terribly giving me a quick rundown on what's happening in the X-men universe these days?

If you haven't kept up with the titles for the last 8-9 it's a bit difficult to catch up because they released so many X Titles and revamped existing storylines.

I used to have a list of sites that did good synopses of the titles, I'll try and find them for you.

knowles2
May 26th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Is there some overwhelming reason that they kept the movie so short? I mean, do they have some rationale? Who makes these decisions?

Probably some stupid thick idiot who some how made it so that he runs the company that made the film and who probably told the producer and director that they will not pay for any more scenes or editing thus rushing the production time, and probably ablitarily set the deadline for the finishing date to.

warmbeachbrat
May 26th, 2006, 08:52 AM
If you haven't kept up with the titles for the last 8-9 it's a bit difficult to catch up because they released so many X Titles and revamped existing storylines.

I used to have a list of sites that did good synopses of the titles, I'll try and find them for you.

*sigh* They did that with Legion of Superheroes, too. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be a comic book fan!

Thanks for your effort! But I don't want you to go through too much trouble.:o

Do you have storyline or two from the X universe that you really enjoy?

Naonak
May 26th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Many "deaths", including Cyclops by Jean Grey/Phoenix, Professor X by Jean Grey/Phoenix, and finally Jean Grey/Phoenix by Wolverine. There is a scene following the credits which reveals that Professor X did survive.

What?!? :jack_new_anime05:
Seriously?! Is that actually a serious scene, or just a weird little "comedy" thing? Sounds like a bit of a cop-out if it's real...

MrBright
May 26th, 2006, 02:56 PM
You'll understand it when you watch the movie ! BTW it ROCKED !!!!

Giantevilhead
May 26th, 2006, 03:34 PM
I thought X-Men 3 was pretty good. The editing was a bit awkward, some of the scenes don't flow very well. Plus there was a really weird and sudden transition from day to night that didn't make any sense to me.

Xavier transfers his mind into Dr. Moira's brain dead patient

Mattathias2.0
May 26th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Plus there was a really weird and sudden transition from day to night that didn't make any sense to me.

Yes, I recall that scene. I responded "It's day already? That was quick!"

I'd also like to point out that this Phoenix seems... different.

Despite the fact that we saw the Fire Bird in the water at the end of X2, at no time whatsoever did she use any fire abilities. Infact, instead of her eyes making that "fire" thing... they turn black. The Phoenix's only ability seems to be Jean Grey's telekinetic and telepathy.

Rather a "personality" instead of an "entity". I understand that it's a film and such...

Some of my favorite scenes:
- Storm using her powers at the Grey House.
- The opening scene with Professor X and Magneto going to meet Jean Grey. Excellent way to display the conflict.
- Jean Grey/Phoenix at Alcatraz destroying everything/everybody near the end. I loved it!
- Magneto moving the Golden Gate Bridge. Awesome!
- Mystuque's transformation into a human.
- Beast battling other mutants.
- Jean Grey/Phoenix awakening in the mansion and blasting the door... Awesome!

Mattathias

Teelie
May 26th, 2006, 05:29 PM
I saw it earlier today. Good movie, not great but the negative reviews are generally too harsh. It will kill the fanboys to see it and of course the critics won't like it, it's too much action, not enough plot but it's not the kind of movie that needs a deep plot. A deep plot would probably ruin it or make it run over 3 hours, and then be panned for being too talkative or long (See the Da Vinci Code).

I won't add any spoilers but sit through past the credits, there's a short "teaser" at the end.

the fifth man
May 26th, 2006, 07:38 PM
I saw it earlier today. Good movie, not great but the negative reviews are generally too harsh. It will kill the fanboys to see it and of course the critics won't like it, it's too much action, not enough plot but it's not the kind of movie that needs a deep plot. A deep plot would probably ruin it or make it run over 3 hours, and then be panned for being too talkative or long (See the Da Vinci Code).

I won't add any spoilers but sit through past the credits, there's a short "teaser" at the end.

Thanks for the tip about the end. I hope to go see it soon - maybe this weekend.:)

xfkirsten
May 26th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Just got back from the theater, and loved it! I've never been a big comic book reader and I'm not really familiar with the original storylines - I've only really seen the movies, which I've love since the first one came out. From a non-comic-reader's POV, I thought it was great! I was definitely glad that a friend gave me a heads-up on the bit after the credits. That was a pretty key scene! And Leech - was that little!Orlin from SG-1?

atlantisrocks
May 26th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Just got back from the theater, and loved it! I've never been a big comic book reader and I'm not really familiar with the original storylines - I've only really seen the movies, which I've love since the first one came out. From a non-comic-reader's POV, I thought it was great! I was definitely glad that a friend gave me a heads-up on the bit after the credits. That was a pretty key scene! And Leech - was that little!Orlin from SG-1?
I kept thinking I knew him from somewhere, thanks! :)
Well, I liked it, but I don't think its a movie I'll buy.At the end when Wolverine kills Jean, why didn't he just use one of the cure needles instead? With all of the guns that were probably lying around he could have grabbed one, unless they were all evaporated by Jean? Or he could have kept one of the needles instead of using all four on Magneto? But that was really sad! :(
Magneto: And at the end when Magneto is trying to use his powers, I didn't see the chess piece move, so he probably doesn't have his powers back.
Question for comic book fans: Did Jean, Cyclops, and Professor X die in the comic book too?And I just finally connected the fact that the kid is the Iceman that becomes friends with Spiderman or whatever in that really old cartoon. I thought he was just a different one, since a lot of superheroes have similar powers. :p

Edit: Nightcrawler: I think Nightcrawler was shown kind of on the wall/ceiling of the church for a moment during that rally, but I wonder why he wasn't in the movie much? Probably not enough reason to use him I guess.

xfkirsten
May 26th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Magneto: And at the end when Magneto is trying to use his powers, I didn't see the chess piece move, so he probably doesn't have his powers back.

Really? I thought it twitched very slightly, didn't it? Or was I seeing things?

Teelie
May 26th, 2006, 11:20 PM
About the ending:
The reason he couldn't use one of the needles on her is he wouldn't be able to carry one. She was literally peeling the skin and flesh off his body let alone him being able to carry a needle unharmed up there. Only with his claws in his arms was he able to stop her.

About Magneto:
He did move the chess piece but only a small wobble. It wasn't a lot but enough to show the effects are wearing off slowly.

And Nightcrawler:
Wasn't him, he wasn't in the movie because there were in the opinions of the producers, "too many blue mutants" so that was some other mutant.

atlantisrocks
May 27th, 2006, 10:21 AM
About the ending:
The reason he couldn't use one of the needles on her is he wouldn't be able to carry one. She was literally peeling the skin and flesh off his body let alone him being able to carry a needle unharmed up there. Only with his claws in his arms was he able to stop her.

About Magneto:
He did move the chess piece but only a small wobble. It wasn't a lot but enough to show the effects are wearing off slowly.

And Nightcrawler:
Wasn't him, he wasn't in the movie because there were in the opinions of the producers, "too many blue mutants" so that was some other mutant.
Ok, I must have missed that (about Magneto). :o
That brings up an interesting point though. If they used four needles on him, and its wearing off already, does that mean its already wearing off some of the other mutants? Such as Mystique since they were both level 3 mutants, so maybe since they are a high class, it wore off? And what class was Rogue? I'm hoping she gets her powers back!

warmbeachbrat
May 27th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Question for comic book fans: Did Jean, Cyclops, and Professor X die in the comic book too?

I haven't followed the comics all that recently, but I believe the answer is no--at least, not ultimately.

tsaxlady
May 27th, 2006, 02:47 PM
All in all I enjoyed the movie. The story was weak but the action was very good. Not the best of the three but there were parts of it that I enjoyed more than the first one. X2 is probably my personal favorite of the three. I was surprised how much I liked Kelsey G. as Beast

nyxlily
May 27th, 2006, 03:35 PM
I also just got back from seeing it. Like everyone already pointed out (or almost everyone) the plot/character developement was weak - nonexisistant, really. Phoenix looked wonderful in the scary/evil way, which was why I love her! And her potential to be the most powerful of all mutants was something I wanted to see explored.

I am not a comic reader so have no idea how much of the plot was from the comics (though I read somewhere that they tried to squeeze 20 years of the comic storylines into this film) so could someone tell me if that was why Rogue's part was so small? I wanted to see her in more actions.. but she was just another love-sick teen. And it seemed to me like Beast had more lines than either Storm or Phoenix. Over all this movie was all about Wolverine, to me at least. Not that I mind; at least his character have some depth. Along with Magneto's relationship to Xavier that actually have a real feeling of history. Everyone else seem kinda flat. *hides from fans*

The other major point to this movie: Special effects! Needless to say it was worth the $7 to see it on the big screen. If not for the story, then see it for the action sequences. The one I love the most was at Jean's house.

I'm not trying to do a review, just sharing my opinion and ask comic fans some questions. If someone would kindly point me in the direction of where I can get a brief history of the X-Men comic storylines or major plot points, I'd be extremely grateful. Like.. what is this Dark Phoenix saga? A little syposis would be nice. And someone already said that in the comic world they didn't really die.. so what happened to them? Was the whole 'cure' thing from the comic world?

I was glad I stayed for the little clip at the end. Kinda surprised me! So does this mean a 4th film is possible?

knowles2
May 27th, 2006, 03:49 PM
X-Men III a good movie, just saw it tonight and thought it was pretty good. I thought the film was not quite complete through and needed few extra scenes to complete it. Fact of the matter is with a few extra scenes this probably could been the best of the three movies.

Thing I think that would made it better was of been good would of been to see jean transform into the bird pheonix, I would bit let down with it just being different personality they could of been so much more imaginative. Also if professor xabiar were able to transfere his mind into a other body what is their to stop jean from doing the same uh.
Also I think they need to extend the story about the cure and needed to dig a bit deeper into that part, and also I think their should of been a kiss between the ice man and the girl that would walk through walls, I think this would made more emotional moment and more of a tipping point for the rogue to take the cure. I would like to of dig a bit deeper into the creater of the cure and his son.
Also what happen to that boy which could cure the mutants with his powers. And I would like to of found out how they escape juggernought to.

I think if some of the things above were included in the movie it would turn a good movie into a great movie, this filme had every thing in it to make it a great movie just needed a extra half an hour so.

Only crap part was at the end after credits and I sat so patently busting for the toilet, they showed lecturly ten seconds then cut it before the extra bit finish, I really quite pissed of about that.

Now next week I have got to go and see the da vinci code.

warmbeachbrat
May 27th, 2006, 04:05 PM
I'm not trying to do a review, just sharing my opinion and ask comic fans some questions. If someone would kindly point me in the direction of where I can get a brief history of the X-Men comic storylines or major plot points, I'd be extremely grateful. Like.. what is this Dark Phoenix saga? A little syposis would be nice. And someone already said that in the comic world they didn't really die.. so what happened to them? Was the whole 'cure' thing from the comic world?

I was glad I stayed for the little clip at the end. Kinda surprised me! So does this mean a 4th film is possible?

I just finished copying 138 pages of X-men related material from Wikipedia to read later. I'm about eight years behind the times and wanted to catch up!;)

It looks to be fairly comprehensive, although you do need to click on quite a few links to get a good feel for the series. Start with this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-men

Enjoy!

nyxlily
May 27th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the link! I will dig right in :D

And I just came back from reading other boards.. now I learn that there are -multi- universes in the comic world with crisscrossing storylines from different superhero comics (like Fantastic Four?) all happening at the same time? The major universe being used is 616? How do you people (comic fans) keep track?! And that there are 'resets' in the comic world once in a while? So, if I were to theoretically start reading the x-men comics, where do I even start? In the very beginning? After a recent reset? Which universe should I follow? What if I don't want to read the cross-overs, would that affect my ability to understand the overall story arc? Sooo many questions! And it sounds like it's expensive to take up this hobby!

Hatcheter
May 27th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Well, Bryan Singer chose to leave to film Superman Returns, so they brought in Matthew Vaughn (Layer Cake) who worked on some of it... but then withdrew because of family issues, so then Brett Ratner was brought in. He was one of the ones orginally considered for directing the original/first film.

Mattathias

Bryan Singer didn't so much choose to leave as the studio played games with his contract for so long that he gave up and accepted Warner Bros. much more amicable deal for Superman Returns.

From things I've read, the execs at Fox didn't want the first X-Men movie to succeed; they cut its budget and pushed up its release date in order to rush the production. Depite that, it was successful enough to merit a sequel, where Singer was grudgingly given enough of a free hand to make huge strides. Then they played games again with the third, bouncing directors and writers and scripts even while locking down a release date.

Despite all that, X3 is a fair success, IMO, and a good, dramatic end for the franchise (which Fox seems to want). But they did leave enough openings that they could continue on, assuming the execs pull their heads out of their rears. As one review I read put it, X-Men should be Fox's liscense to print money every couple of years.

There is a Wolverine movie in development, so there's still some future for this franchise. Hugh Jackman has already signed a deal on that.

Mattathias2.0
May 27th, 2006, 05:52 PM
The answer is no... however, from what I heard, due to M-Day (which is quite a complicated story dealing with the Scarlet Witch), Magneto and Professor X have both become powerless, along with thousands of other mutants (approximately 98% of the mutant population)... so now Professor X can walk.

However, if you'd like some information, here are some links...
Avengers Disassembled (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avengers_Disassembled)
House of M (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_M)
Decimation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimation_%28comics%29)
X-Men: The 198 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men:_The_198)

Given I don't read comic books, yet wish to find out what has happened/is happening to my favorite mutants, I looked up some information.

I would like to warn that in order to understand the information, it would require some time reading other pages on mutants, situtuations, etc. you would not be familiar with, or just do not know (such as Cyclops being with Emma Frost, Rachel Summers crossover into our reality, other stuff.

I am considering purchasing these particular comics and maybe more...

Mattathias

I haven't followed the comics all that recently, but I believe the answer is no--at least, not ultimately.

warmbeachbrat
May 27th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the link! I will dig right in :D

And I just came back from reading other boards.. now I learn that there are -multi- universes in the comic world with crisscrossing storylines from different superhero comics (like Fantastic Four?) all happening at the same time? The major universe being used is 616? How do you people (comic fans) keep track?! And that there are 'resets' in the comic world once in a while? So, if I were to theoretically start reading the x-men comics, where do I even start? In the very beginning? After a recent reset? Which universe should I follow? What if I don't want to read the cross-overs, would that affect my ability to understand the overall story arc? Sooo many questions! And it sounds like it's expensive to take up this hobby!

Tell me about it! I started off with the Fantastic Four and then was intrigued by a crossover with the X-men. So I started reading it and was hooked! I think at the height of my collecting fever, I was getting X-men, Uncanny X-men, X-factor, Excalibur, Ultimate X-men (or maybe it was Unlimited X-men--I forget), New Mutants, Wolverine, and occasional issues of Cable, X-force, and whatever other assorted miniseries came along. Regretfully, I had to quit cold turkey when I lost my (very well-paying) job eight years ago. Oh well. So now I'm trying to catch up a little.:)

I suppose reading Uncanny X-men would probably be the best place to start. It's the original series and is up to well over 400 issues. You don't have to start at the beginning--maybe reading through the links at Wikpedia might show you a good place to start. Then branch out to whatever seems interesting. Or maybe RealmOfX might have a better suggestion.;)

nyxlily
May 27th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Yes.. I spent about an hour reading through the various articles from wiki (with links leading to different links within links.. it's all so intricately connected :P).

I have to ask, HOW can Cyclops switch partners so much?!

I understand he thought Jean was dead and married the Jean look-a-like, who really was a copy of Jean, but not really, but then abandoned her and a CHILD for the old Jean (whom I don't really know if it was the real Jean or not). What about all their history? Did that mean nothing?? And all his alternate kids! So after reading all the relevent articles, I still don't know if Jean is really dead this time, or which Jean is dead.)

Wow, I'm not even a comic fan and only read the outline.. and I had a rant already.. sorry to all true comic fans, it's just that I don't understand all the arcs and backpaddling of character deaths.. apparently pretty much all major characters in x-men was cloned, copied, died, resurrected, impostered (haha, is that a word?), being an imposter posing as an imposter.. it's like one big soap opera except with mutant powers..

But.. back to the movie:

Something else that doesn't make sense to me: After the showdown at the research facility, apparently everything was okay? There were no apparent fallout from the 'cure'. The president's all for mutants again, everyone was happy, everything's gone back to the way it was.. except for a few major deaths. Did they just not show the patching up between the two people (humans and mutants)?

Teelie
May 27th, 2006, 07:03 PM
$44 million (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=x3.htm) take for Friday alone. I'd say it'll warrant a sequel.

warmbeachbrat
May 27th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Yes.. I spent about an hour reading through the various articles from wiki (with links leading to different links within links.. it's all so intricately connected :P).

I have to ask, HOW can Cyclops switch partners so much?!

I understand he thought Jean was dead and married the Jean look-a-like, who really was a copy of Jean, but not really, but then abandoned her and a CHILD for the old Jean (whom I don't really know if it was the real Jean or not). What about all their history? Did that mean nothing?? And all his alternate kids! So after reading all the relevent articles, I still don't know if Jean is really dead this time, or which Jean is dead.)

Wow, I'm not even a comic fan and only read the outline.. and I had a rant already.. sorry to all true comic fans, it's just that I don't understand all the arcs and backpaddling of character deaths.. apparently pretty much all major characters in x-men was cloned, copied, died, resurrected, impostered (haha, is that a word?), being an imposter posing as an imposter.. it's like one big soap opera except with mutant powers..

I suppose it is a bit of soap opera--only you have to wait a month between episodes and it's been going on for 40+ years.;) It is impossibly convoluted--I think when they get a new writer or creator, they want to go back and change things so they can put their own stamp on it. It can be hard on the fans....

Here's another website that I ran across--I didn't include it before because it looks like it only covers the series through 2001 or so, and there's been a fair amount of rejiggering since then. BUT, it does have some good stuff on the whole Summers lineage and questions and stuff. Let me know what you think.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/comics/xbooks/main-faq/part4/section-2.html

There's several sections and pages to the link--click around and you'll get the hang of it.

Stargate
May 27th, 2006, 09:08 PM
horrible movie too many unnecessary deaths, waivered too much from the cannon took the killing too far just by howw they did it(the exploding bodies)

HyperCaz
May 28th, 2006, 03:42 AM
now that I can form more coherent sentences about this movie without bursting into tears...

I hope Rogue doesn't get her powers back. I am fervently glad of that one thing in the movie. Some powers are understandably a loss, but Rogue deserves to touch people. With the Magneto and chess board thing...maybe the cure can be broken if the mutant wants to break it.

Just thinking about the other two movies. They had one focus character each didn't they? No.1 had Rogue and No.2 had Wolverine. I didn't see that particular focus in no.3 and Jean was a prime character to be focused on. 15 minutes more wouldn't have hurt the film at all. In fact, it probably would better it. I hope the deleted scenes are good.

Teelie
May 28th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Another sequel is looking likely now with a record take (http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060529b.php) brought in for the weekend and third place over all in the box office history.

Mattathias2.0
May 28th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Another sequel is looking likely now with a record take (http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060529b.php) brought in for the weekend and third place over all in the box office history.

My question is:

With Scott Summers/Cyclops & Jean Grey/Phoenix dead, and Raven Darkholme/Mystique powerless? What could possibly happen next?

Mattathias

ShadowMaat
May 28th, 2006, 08:15 PM
I found the movie drab and unengaging. No plot, no character development, and not a lot of actiony excitement except for the end, when it was so saturation-heavy it was hard to appreciate. It tried to accomplish too much in too little time. With a run-time of 90-whatever minutes, you should CONCENTRATE YOUR FRACKING IDEAS!!! Instead there are plots and characters all over the place and they all basically get ignored.

* The deaths were meaningless to me because I didn't believe them.
* There was nothing remotely phoenixy about Phoenix. I kept getting a Dark Willow vibe off her and that made her seem cheesy and lame.
* The backstory about Xavier adding "blocks" to Jean's powers was ham-fisted and made Prof X seem like an idiot.
* No Nightcrawler. Bah.
* WTF was the point of bringing in Angel (Archangel?) if you aren't going to use him?
* WTF was the point of bringing in Leech if you're only going to use him as a prop?
* Kelsey Grammer is NOT Beast. He's too Fraiser. And Fraiser isn't smart, he's comedic. It detracts from the character. They should have kept Steve Bacic. Let's have a sexy Beast. :D
* Kitty Pride was a nice addition, but she would have been nicer if Katie had played her.
* The "triangle" between Rogue, Iceman and Kitty was pathetic and overly contrived. It was obviously meant to drive Rogue to seek the cure, but it only made her seem selfish and immature.
* Magneto's evil posse was just as pointless as Angel and Leech. Even Pyro was relegated to backup singer.
* Loved the bridge, but WTF was the point of showing us the trapped family if you never show us what happens to them?? Did they die in a fiery ball of flying death? Did they roll down the windows and escape? Did the good guys save them? Jeez.
* Loved Kitty vs. Juggernaut. Nice to know SOMEONE in the movie has a working brain.
* I still want to know why no Gambit.
* LOVED R Lee Ermey's voiceover as the Military Voice of Command. Love him. He's awesome!
* Once again Jubilee is dumped into the background. If she ever becomes a bigger character, they'd better not replace Kea or I shall be angry. :P

There's probably more, but that's all I can remember for now. It was a good excuse to eat nachos, but the nachos were far more filling than the movie.

Teelie
May 28th, 2006, 08:28 PM
My question is:

With Scott Summers/Cyclops & Jean Grey/Phoenix dead, and Raven Darkholme/Mystique powerless? What could possibly happen next?

Mattathias

We don't know if Scott Summers died, Jean "died" once already, and if Magneto is any indication, Mystique may return to her old self as well.

The comics are rife with this kind of stuff and since there are almost endless possibilities in storylines, it's just a matter of finding the right one to match up with the sequel. There are like two dozen X-Men and affiliated teams so we don't know who/what else we'll see next.

atlantisrocks
May 28th, 2006, 09:36 PM
I found the movie drab and unengaging. No plot, no character development, and not a lot of actiony excitement except for the end, when it was so saturation-heavy it was hard to appreciate. It tried to accomplish too much in too little time. With a run-time of 90-whatever minutes, you should CONCENTRATE YOUR FRACKING IDEAS!!! Instead there are plots and characters all over the place and they all basically get ignored.

* The deaths were meaningless to me because I didn't believe them.
* There was nothing remotely phoenixy about Phoenix. I kept getting a Dark Willow vibe off her and that made her seem cheesy and lame.
* The backstory about Xavier adding "blocks" to Jean's powers was ham-fisted and made Prof X seem like an idiot.
* No Nightcrawler. Bah.
* WTF was the point of bringing in Angel (Archangel?) if you aren't going to use him?
* WTF was the point of bringing in Leech if you're only going to use him as a prop?
* Kelsey Grammer is NOT Beast. He's too Fraiser. And Fraiser isn't smart, he's comedic. It detracts from the character. They should have kept Steve Bacic. Let's have a sexy Beast. :D
* Kitty Pride was a nice addition, but she would have been nicer if Katie had played her.
* The "triangle" between Rogue, Iceman and Kitty was pathetic and overly contrived. It was obviously meant to drive Rogue to seek the cure, but it only made her seem selfish and immature.
* Magneto's evil posse was just as pointless as Angel and Leech. Even Pyro was relegated to backup singer.
* Loved the bridge, but WTF was the point of showing us the trapped family if you never show us what happens to them?? Did they die in a fiery ball of flying death? Did they roll down the windows and escape? Did the good guys save them? Jeez.
* Loved Kitty vs. Juggernaut. Nice to know SOMEONE in the movie has a working brain.
* LOVED R Lee Ermey's voiceover as the Military Voice of Command. Love him. He's awesome!
* Once again Jubilee is dumped into the background. If she ever becomes a bigger character, they'd better not replace Kea or I shall be angry. :P

There's probably more, but that's all I can remember for now. It was a good excuse to eat nachos, but the nachos were far more filling than the movie.
How funny I was wondering the same thing about the family in the car! Did Magneto throw their car at the soldiers? Did they survive? :(
I'm also hoping they bring Gambit in.
And I didn't even notice Jubliee, which scene was she in?

Teelie
May 28th, 2006, 10:54 PM
About the "missing" mutant, Jubliee was in the "classroom" when the Professor told them to go to Alkalai Lake after sensing Phoenix coming out of the water.

She was to the right and near the front.

Hatcheter
May 29th, 2006, 05:28 AM

There's the Wolverine film already in development (for 2007, they're saying), but I'm not gonna hold my breath for a proper X4. Which is a shame, I'd like to see a film that at least spends a little time exploring the possible set up at the end of 3, with Storm and Logan overseeing the school. But, with the rumor that the studio morons execs were trying to push a Storm/Wolverine relationship since work began on the first film, maybe it's best that this franchise be left alone, at least for a while.

scifi_girl
May 29th, 2006, 10:24 AM
i'd like there to be an x-men 4, i really like the whole x-men series. Im looking forward to the wolverine film eventually

Jumper One
May 29th, 2006, 10:28 AM
I don't know if this was posted previoulsy, I hope you guys stayed after the credits! There was a little scene after all the credits ended.

For those that missed it: (Don't read it if you haven't seen it!)

Remember in the begining, when Prof. X was giving that whole lecture about whether or not it is ethicaal to transfer the conciousness of one sick person to a body with no mental activity in it? Well the scene at the end is Dr. Moria McTaggert (who was the doctor in the video in the begining) goes to check on the patient who was supposed to be the "blank slate". When she appraches him, you hear the guy say "Moria?" with Prof. X's voice, and then she answers "Charles?"
So from that we can assume that at the last minute, Prof. X transferred his mind in to that guy's before Jean killed him. :)

Teelie
May 29th, 2006, 10:49 AM
There are both Wolverine and Magneto films in development but both are prequels and will have nothing to do with the current films. That still leaves open an X4, although I can sense the "Star Trek effect" of over-saturation if they try to rush too many of them out at once.

Quinn Mallory
May 29th, 2006, 10:54 AM
The comics are rife with this kind of stuff and since there are almost endless possibilities in storylines, it's just a matter of finding the right one to match up with the sequel. There are like two dozen X-Men and affiliated teams so we don't know who/what else we'll see next.

Well, I don't think they can get away with as much resurrections in the movies as in the comics. Certain X-men comic storylines such as the aliens, alternative dimensions stuff are just too complex to be pulled off well in the movies for them (the movie industry) to try. However, there are plenty of other X-men characters yet to be introduced in the X-men film franchise that they can use in future X-4 and beyond.

Mattathias2.0
May 29th, 2006, 11:01 AM

Because they dude that was going to play him either had a schedule conflict or decided not to do it, so they decided to drop him.

Mattathias

Teelie
May 29th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Too many characters, I think was the official reason. Given they still had too many characters even with so many dropped, I'd say they were right.

the fifth man
May 29th, 2006, 08:25 PM
My question is:

Mattathias

What could happen next? One word/name - Apocalypse.:) The first mutant.

buckner
May 29th, 2006, 08:30 PM
I don't understand why so many people don't like it :S, I thought it was great. I went in expecting a junk movie, but it was very entertaining.

the fifth man
May 29th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I don't understand why so many people don't like it :S, I thought it was great. I went in expecting a junk movie, but it was very entertaining.

Well, as always, a lot of people go into a movie like this with preconceived notions of how it should be, what should go on, etc. That's probably a big part of things.

ShadowMaat
May 30th, 2006, 03:29 AM
Too many characters, I think was the official reason. Given they still had too many characters even with so many dropped, I'd say they were right.
Good point. There were a lot of characters in X3 that seemed to be there just so they could say "I was there!" but they never really DID anything and we didn't get anything of their stories or personalities.

BC - 303
May 30th, 2006, 04:23 AM
there are 30 ish Xmen, each one has its own fans, to impress these you have to cram as much x-men into the film, as a result it becomes jampacked with to many charactors!
So what charactors do you give the most screen time to??
its a hard desison, and mabey it could have been beter, but i though this movie was good personaly, i agree some charactors were underused, ArcAngel for one, but the film was really good.

I think the last 2 scenes were added because the people wanted to do a possible sequil! Sequils are ok if you pull them off, and if you actualy try you can pull them off!

I mean this film was good and it was a third one!

warmbeachbrat
May 30th, 2006, 07:37 AM
My question is:

Mattathias

You'd be surprised! The comic book always seems to come up with something....

Hatcheter
May 30th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Because they dude that was going to play him either had a schedule conflict or decided not to do it, so they decided to drop him.

Mattathias

According to IMDB, the role of Gambit was intended to be a cameo, and was offered to Josh Holloway. He turned it down, purportedly because the character was too similar to his Lost character, Sawyer.

Opinions on that from those of you familiar with the comics? Would Holloway make a good Gambit?

knowles2
May 30th, 2006, 08:44 AM
He would be the perfect actor to play Gambit, infact I think he made for the role.

Mattathias2.0
May 30th, 2006, 11:11 AM
What could happen next? One word/name - Apocalypse.:) The first mutant.

That's a controversial subject, as Selene was around well before Apocalypse.

Mattathias

Giantevilhead
May 30th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Apocolypse doesn't have be the next villain considering how everyone in the comic book comes back from the dead. It's only a matter of time until we see Vampire Uncle Ben.

lord-anubis
May 30th, 2006, 01:30 PM
i was kind of dispointed with the moive i still like it though. i don't know any thing about the comics. all i know is stuff learned from the old cartoon they use to show on fox. to me it seemed like jean dident have to be in this moive and i dident like that whole thing with rouge,kat and iceman. it seem just like a waste of time to me. i did like that voice over from the guy from mail call when the army was geting there weapons. also for some reason i thought it was really funny when they showed magnito on tv and he was on fox news.

if they make a other moive im kind of hopeing it well be about Apocalypse and gambit is in it that guy from lost would be great for the part.

ShadowMaat
May 30th, 2006, 03:03 PM
I detest Josh Holloway and I would not want to see him play Gambit. I wouldn't be able to enjoy the character if he did.

I also don't get why they have to get big name actors for the bigger characters. There are enough big names already at this point that you can toss a few unknowns into meatier roles and no one will care. Or they may care in a way that'll bring good attention to the unknown and make him more of a known. I can think of a few Canuck/Vancouver locals who'd be able to handle a good, meaty role like that.

Captain Reynolds
May 30th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Well I gotta say I thought the movie was a travesty overall at 97 minutes the film seemed tobe disjointed and struggling to create a cohesive story. I felt that the whole Phoenix plot really just brought down the movie due to the fact that well during the whole last figh scene she didn't do all that much until the very end.

In my opinion what they should have done was drop the entire phoenix storyline. Have Cyclops take off on some soul searching quest or something after the loss of Jean. That would have given them like 30-40 more minutes of time to devote to the cure and the characters. I mean hell Colosus said like 5 lines to many people had bit parts. X2 was by far the best and I gotta say I didn't really like X-men but X2 had me going there really making something of this. Then there's X3 which is all flash no characters nothing.
Its not a terrible movie but not a good one either.

Also for those of you expecting X4 you gotta remember that Marvel has their own studios now they are trying to bring most of their properties in house and under there own control to fox needs to go through them for X4. I think Marvel is more likely to let the spin off movies come out then sit on the X-men for a few years and do it themselves.

All in all I'm just glad that AICN leaked the first draft of the script because of all the flames it got alot of the crap that was in it was killed like the Wolverine and Storm relationship. Although most of the script remained in tact though. Sigh the film could have been so much better.

aAnubiSs
May 30th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Wasn't Omega Red supposed to be in this frelling movie?

atlantisrocks
May 30th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Wasn't Omega Red supposed to be in this frelling movie?
I've heard that he was, and I think he's listed in the credits, but I have no idea which mutant he was. :S

Captain Reynolds
May 30th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Man the reason why we don't get good movies anymore is when most people think movies like this are incredible.

the fifth man
May 30th, 2006, 10:35 PM
I've heard that he was, and I think he's listed in the credits, but I have no idea which mutant he was. :S

Same here. You would think I'd have noticed someone like Omega Red.

Mr Prophet
May 30th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Same here. You would think I'd have noticed someone like Omega Red.

The hair, the tentacles, the big red omega on his shiny metal chest...

I detest Josh Holloway and I would not want to see him play Gambit. I wouldn't be able to enjoy the character if he did.

Well, to me that sounds like perfect casting, because I have never much cared for Gambit. He's sort of whiny and angst-lite, like he's all surly and stuff but he doesn't actually have any problems that don't result primarily from his own intense acts of stupidity (apart from loving Rogue, which in the movie would be a) no real problem and b) creepy and wrong).

On the other hand, totally agree with you about the family in the car. Little comedy/character moments just shouldn't leave you wondering if a nice suburban family have been barbequed. And it's important, BO7, not because family in the car are the focus of the movie, but because in an X-Men movie, families in cars should matter. The X-Men exist in large part to protect families in cars.

My other thoughts on this film (well, some of them at least):

I think the basic, objective, overall summation would have to be amusing tripe with an excess of geek-fest cameos, but even for a geek the let down after X-2 was a little too heavy for me. Whatever depth and emotion the franchise had possessed - and it had some - was lacking here and a flurry of special effects failed to compensate.

Key point: When Professor Xavier (incidentally, God bless Kelsey Grammer at least for pronouncing it right), the heart of the last two movies, was vapourised by his oldest and dearest pupil, I felt squat. It should have moved. It should have shocked at least, but even though I never in a million years saw it coming - honestly, I had no clue - I barely felt a flicker. I mean, sure, Scott's dead, big whoop, but Professor X? I should have been able to give a damn.

But who had time? Really? With mutants apparently dying - or being cured right the way back to their agent's office - just because they'd been bumped from the roster to give screen time to the new hotness, although frankly the Brotherhood of Evil...I'm sorry, of 'Morally Opposed' Mutants was doing some major barrel scraping. I mean, when Arclight and Pyro are your big name hitters, you know you're on the skids.

Did anyone else, by the way, feel like maybe they had Anna Paquin on contract before they realised that there was just nothing for Rogue to do in this movie? Because I could have told them that. Rogue as rewritten for the movies, dead interesting in character moments, but this movie had no character moments, barring the odd agonised cry from Wolverine.

Which brings me to the title of my entry here. Hugh Jackman, bless his fairly large cotton socks, is a hell of a good mad ******* on the verge of berserker fury, but devastated angst is really not his forte. I'm not saying anyone else on the cast could have done it better - well, aside from Stewart and McKellan, if given the chance - but he was so not the man to be screaming 'Noooooo!!' at the sky. Where's Bill Shatner when you need him?

And what the hell was Angel doing in this picture? Aside from unnecessarily creating the impetus for the cure - if it had to be family, we've got a whole mess of mutants in place with no established celluloid background - what exactly was he doing there (besides 'being Angel')? It's not as though the film was crying out for an additional self-contained plot, especially not one that serves only to demand the question just how fast can Angel fly across the width of the Continental USA anyway?

And are sunsets really that fast in San Francisco?

I really liked X-2. I was excited for this movie. I was almost painfully underwhelmed.

ShadowMaat
May 31st, 2006, 03:45 AM
There's a lot to like in X3... if you go for those sorts of things. I simply don't. *shrug* Or more accurately, what there is to like couldn't outweigh the "issues" I had with the film. Fortunately for the movie industry, however, most folks are much better at ignoring inconsistencies, plot holes and character saturation than I am. ;)

EDIT: As for the family... If they did wind up as a fiery ball of death, I wouldn't be terribly heartbroken, but since the producer/director went out of his way to show us the family, it attaches some degree of significance to them and what is the point of highlighting something if you aren't going to resolve it? If the family really isn't important and isn't an illustration of the things Magneto & crew are capable of (especially if you aren't going to balance it out with showing us what the "good guy" mutants would do when confronted with the family) then don't friggen show us anything! Keep it as random people screaming and running and don't have a trapped family at all- or show a close-up of a van being tossed into the air with the screaming family trapped inside- it gives us a sense of horror without making the people inside significant beyond an illustration.

Mattathias2.0
May 31st, 2006, 11:50 AM
My other thoughts on this film (well, some of them at least):

I think the basic, objective, overall summation would have to be amusing tripe with an excess of geek-fest cameos, but even for a geek the let down after X-2 was a little too heavy for me. Whatever depth and emotion the franchise had possessed - and it had some - was lacking here and a flurry of special effects failed to compensate.

Key point: When Professor Xavier (incidentally, God bless Kelsey Grammer at least for pronouncing it right), the heart of the last two movies, was vapourised by his oldest and dearest pupil, I felt squat. It should have moved. It should have shocked at least, but even though I never in a million years saw it coming - honestly, I had no clue - I barely felt a flicker. I mean, sure, Scott's dead, big whoop, but Professor X? I should have been able to give a damn.
And what the hell was Angel doing in this picture? Aside from unnecessarily creating the impetus for the cure - if it had to be family, we've got a whole mess of mutants in place with no established celluloid background - what exactly was he doing there (besides 'being Angel')? It's not as though the film was crying out for an additional self-contained plot, especially not one that serves only to demand the question just how fast can Angel fly across the width of the Continental USA anyway?

And are sunsets really that fast in San Francisco?

I have to agree about Professor X, I initially didn't think they would kill him off, but once he mentioned to Storm about taking over after he goes, I knew they would probably do it at that point.

Under "normal" circumstances, I would have been very upset by his death, yet I found myself also unmoved by it, and at a loss to even cope with the event, given all the randomness occuring within the film.

When Phoenix was killed, I was also unmoved as by that point even Magento's lackies had been killed, plus Warren Worthington II's nurse, and such.

Death wasn't very serious in the film, more of a state of being.

It was nice that Angel saved his dad, but his dad was kind of a jerk to begin with. I rather wanted him to die for acting the way that he did to his son and holding him against his will. But given the movie had so much death and destruction, and randomness, I was surprised his dad didn't die.

Apparently, they are.

Mattathias

LtColCarter
June 2nd, 2006, 05:12 AM
Man the reason why we don't get good movies anymore is when most people think movies like this are incredible.

I liked it...but it was far from incredible. There seemed to be too much "junk" going on.

Giantevilhead
June 2nd, 2006, 12:14 PM
About Magneto at the end of the film:
Maybe he's getting his powers back because of his exposure to the mutation inducing machine from the first X-Men. Xavier said that the mutation inducing machine appeared to be no effects on mutants but you never know. It's also possible that Magneto built another machine to restore his powers.

eri-chan
June 3rd, 2006, 10:51 AM
just saw the movie two nights ago

ive been waiting for comments about juggernaut :cameron: he had by far the best ever lines in the movie :D

maybe people here dont watch vids on youtube enough? heh heh :p

i enjoyed the movie... as someone above said... there are lots of things to enjoy in the movie... but whether that makes it a good movie or not... hmm well it entertained the socks off of me. hehe.

i think beast was friggin awesome... and i saw Skin! :) (but he was old :( ) i was told that there was no alan cumming because he didnt think it was worth sitting in a make-up chair for 7 hours. i didnt realise that x3 had 2 directors as well. gg. maybe it would have done a lot better if there was just the one.

i didnt mind all the deaths in the film. cykes a moron and deserves to die anyway :indeed: and i think prof. x's death was a little early, but i had a feeling he was going to die. i was told that someone dies unexpectedly that doesnt die in the comics... but then who hasnt died in the comics right? :p had a feeling it was prof. x despite what i was told (i knew better :p)

thats all from me for now

MB.Eddie
June 6th, 2006, 01:01 AM
I saw the movie the other week, and it was fantastic imo.

RuleBritannia
June 6th, 2006, 05:56 AM
What do you guys think about Magneto moving the chess piece at the end?

MB.Eddie
June 6th, 2006, 06:12 AM
What do you guys think about Magneto moving the chess piece at the end?

I thought it was very interesting. Might link to the Wolverine movie somehow...

ShadowMaat
June 6th, 2006, 12:18 PM
This is kind of a dumb question and I'm showing my lack of chess knowledge, but do the pieces generally have metal in them? I used to have a set, but it was carved out of wood and most of the sets I see around these days look more like plastic composites or faux wood/stone.

atlantisrocks
June 6th, 2006, 12:23 PM
This is kind of a dumb question and I'm showing my lack of chess knowledge, but do the pieces generally have metal in them? I used to have a set, but it was carved out of wood and most of the sets I see around these days look more like plastic composites or faux wood/stone.
Well, I'm guessing that some pieces have metal in them to add weight, so maybe because they were playing outside they bought that kind so it wouldn't tip over in the wind? :)

Mr Prophet
June 6th, 2006, 12:39 PM

You can get chess sets made out of anything from endangered hardwood to meteoric iron if you're prepared to spend the money. Marble or glass are quite popular. Also, a lot of sets for travel or outdoor play have magnets in them (as well you should know).

aAnubiSs
June 6th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Hello? Cassandra and O'Neill. "Every chess piece has a small magnet..." :D

Jumper One
June 7th, 2006, 05:30 PM
:lol:

ShadowMaat
June 7th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Ah. MAGNETS! I should have known. *headdesk* ;)

the fifth man
June 7th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Ah. MAGNETS! I should have known. *headdesk* ;)

Hey, brain-farts happen occasionally.:D

Rowana
June 8th, 2006, 11:52 AM
I saw the movie a while ago when it came out. Considering how much I was looking forward to it, it was kinda disapointing. A lot of the side bits that I liked got kinda ignored, like Rogue and Angel and Leech. Still, it was pretty good. I thought the main storyline was very good and they did a great joy with Pheonix. Graphics were excellent of course and I really liked Beast a lot. He's one of my favorites from the old TV series. ^_^ Overall I thought it was pretty good, but I liked the first two better.

the fifth man
June 8th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Now I just can't wait for the Wolverine movie. That should rock, I hope.:) Not that I wouldn't want to see another X-Men movie.

Trek_Girl42
June 8th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Can't wait for a Wolverine movie. More Hugh Jackman. ;)

Gwin
June 8th, 2006, 04:12 PM
And Leech - was that little!Orlin from SG-1?
Yes, it was him. :D

I think the movie wanted to be too big in too less time. There where too many new mutants, not a chance to develope a good story in one and a half hour.
But I like it nevertheless, it had great moments and is a good and spectacular ending to this trilogy.

the fifth man
June 8th, 2006, 07:50 PM
I think the movie wanted to be too big in too less time. There where too many new mutants, not a chance to develope a good story in one and a half hour.
But I like it nevertheless, it had great moments and is a good and spectacular ending to this trilogy.

Truthfully, I'm hoping it isn't necessarily the end of the X-Men series of movies. A few years from now, you never know.

scifi_girl
June 9th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Can't wait for a Wolverine movie. More Hugh Jackman. ;)

ill second that :)

warmbeachbrat
June 9th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Yes, it was him. :D

Anybody have screencaps or photos of "Orlin" as Leech? Just wondering how the comic book character transferred to the movie....

Naonak
June 9th, 2006, 10:02 AM
I think Leech was a new character created for the movie. Seem to remember reading that somewhere - could be wrong though...

aAnubiSs
June 11th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Leech in the comics is a small green fella iirc

Rogue_Trooper
June 11th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Leech in the comics is a small green fella iirc

Howdy, newbie here *grin*.

Yep, he's one of the Morlocks who live in the sewers under New York, staying away from the normals as much as poss.

I loved the new movie, was great seeing Wolverine really cut loose!

I hope they do more, there's loads of stuff left to explore- but a Wolvie spin off will do me too, as long as they let him really kick butt!

dosed150
June 11th, 2006, 10:59 PM
why does vinny jones get film roles hes just not an actor and he has such a terrible accent i dont think anyone here sopeaks like that anymore at least he only had a few lines

Rogue_Trooper
June 12th, 2006, 02:19 AM
When I heard he was going to be playing Juggernaut I wasn'y sure he was right for the role cause he's too skinny and Juggernaut is meant to be massive. But I reckon he did pretty good job.

Maybe he gets the roles cause he looks mean.

eri-chan
June 12th, 2006, 10:05 PM
i thought vinnie jones did an excellent juggernaut. well everytime juggernaut came around i was expecting him to do something stupid because he's the juggernaut *****!!! :cameron:

even though they changed who juggernaut was a little, i thought he was still good.

Easter Lily
June 12th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Just came back from watching the movie... I thought it was really good considering all the negative comments I'd been hearing. I lowered my expectations going into the film after hearing that this one wasn't quite up to the same standards of Numbers One and Two... but I took that with a slight grain of salt because a lot of people said Two was better than One. Personally I thought that both were equally good... just different.

Haven't read the other comments on this thread yet but perhaps the biggest objection I can see people having about this is with mutants killing mutants and basically how blood-thirsty the whole thing turned out to be.
Also I think the plot was a lot simpler this time... No great strategem in the works. Just about people making choices about where they stood in this whole sorry affair. it didn't engage the viewer on the cerebral level as much as it did on an emotional one.

TheWarrior
July 24th, 2006, 11:57 PM
DVD Release Date:

UK 9th October 2006

scifi_girl
July 25th, 2006, 07:22 AM
well octobers not that far away, i cant wait for it to be realised on dvd

Angela V
July 29th, 2006, 10:57 PM
I became a comic fan of Uncanny X-Men in '92 when I got to read a LOT of back issues from my sister's boyfriend. Well, the bf and her broke up and he didn't take his comics back. So I still have them :). Collected up to '96 and stopped because of too many crossovers and I was also collecting X-Men (hated that I had to get TWO comics a month to follow all my mutants!) Wolverine, Excalibur and Generation Next.
The first comic I ever read of Uncanny was ending of the Dark Phoenix Saga. I later bought the graphic novel book. This story left me in tears at the end. So I was so hoping the movie wouldn't be messed up. Ever since I saw the "phoenix" in the water near the end of X-Men 2, I've been hoping.
Sooo... considering they took the Dark Phoenix Saga and turned it on it's head, wasn't a bad movie. It was interesting to see what was changed, added... didn't like:
Fact that Kitty was used as a love interest for Bobby! Bobby? Something happen since '96 I don't know about about these two?!?!? I have always wanted her with Peter... though I hear he's dead now..grrr.
The Phoenix story could've been so great if they didn't kill off Scott! The great love story of Scott and Jean was just trashed. And I have never liked Scott but believe these two characters should be together. Though big plus is that relationship hinted between Wolvie and Jeanie actually seems to happen. kind of.
Peter doesn't sound Russian. Why? Does this mean we will never see his sister? Never followed the New Mutants that Illyanna joined later on but did read the X-men comic where she died. And have the Magick series, one of favourites.
Nightie, missed him :(
Pryo, it has bugged me that the mutant is from Australia but sounds American! Even in the first cartoon he had an accent. I guess I should be happy that Nightcrawler got to keep his german accent!
What's good.
Beast... Loved him!
Magnato. Ian McKeller is soooo good at being bad.:) Just love how him and Stewart play off of each other.
Juggernaut..cool to see him
Mystic, interesting twist to see her cured and than turn in Magento. I always thought there was a hint of her being in love with Eric in the comics.
Wolvie. Alrighty then, we get much more of Wolvie from his own comic series (one of the reason I had to SNEAK out of the house to see the movie without my 6 year old son)
Storm. It's about time! Creeps. This character has had such interesting stories throughout the comics that it was getting annoying she didn't get much to do! This Storm was so much better. Acting more like a leader and feisty! Yeah, Stormy.
Bobby. I just HATE Iceman from the comics. But alas, Shawn won me over from the first movie. Though he's much more fun to watch in Earthsea:)
Loved to see Peter, Kitty, Bobby, Wolvie, Storm, and Hank working as a team. The cannonball speical was just so cool to finally see! Kitty being smart, as she should be! Would have loved to see Nighty with this group. I just miss my fuzzy blue elf:)... Oh and Kitty's dragon Lockheed. Though I guess that would mean the X-Men would need to go into space.
Considering all the back history and there's a ton!, I found this an intertaining movie but still dissapointing. It didn't live up to the Dark Phoenix Saga but since I don't collect comics anymore, it did help my X-Men fix. I will buy the DVD (and have to hear from my son WHY he didn't get to see it in the theatres :) ) but will still wish they had done more. And why was it so short? Creeps, if they had expanded the character development, it would've been a much better movie. Yes, we've seen most of these characters in 2 movies but I just wanted to feel crushed when Wolvie had to make that terrible decision as Scott had to make on the moon in the real story. I didn't. There are times when the X-Men stories could be so intelligent and times when it wasn't (sometimes I pretend the whole the everyone thinks the X-Men have died but are actually living in Australia period).
Oh well, on to the next movie! :) And if there will be a Wolvie movie, I will so be there!

TheWarrior
September 6th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Region 2 DVD Special Features:

* 2.40:1 Anamorphic Widescreen Transfer
* Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio
* Brett Ratner’s Production Diary
* ‘X-Men: Evolution of a Trilogy’ Featurette
* ‘X-Men: The Excitement Continues’ Featurette
* ‘X-Men Up Close’ Interactive Gallery
* ‘Anatomy of a Scene: The Golden Gate Bridge’ Featurette
* Vignettes
* Blogs
* Previz Animatic Gallery
* Character Still Galleries
* Concept Art, Storyboards and Models Galleries
* Audio Commentaries by Director Brett Ratner, Avi Arad
* 21 Deleted Scenes
* 3 Alternate Endings
* Easter Egg
* Trailers

the fifth man
September 6th, 2006, 10:11 PM

* Vignettes
* Blogs
* 21 Deleted Scenes
* 3 Alternate Endings
* Easter Egg
* Trailers

Wow! I sure hope Region 1 has as many Special Features.

Descent
September 7th, 2006, 12:06 AM
:eek:

3 alternate endings? As if the movie didn't already have enough endings already. :P

scifi_girl
September 7th, 2006, 02:04 AM

* Vignettes
* Blogs
* 21 Deleted Scenes
* 3 Alternate Endings
* Easter Egg
* Trailers

wow, those special features sound great

Trooper
October 5th, 2006, 08:25 AM
:eek:

3 alternate endings? As if the movie didn't already have enough endings already. :P

haha yeah.. i love these though, makes me think hmm what if.

CCA
October 5th, 2006, 12:33 PM
I did not get to see it in theaters, and finally finished watching it today...yeah all I have to say

WHERE IS X-MEN 4!!!!

Was not sure if this should be spoiled, so I thought I would not take the chance
I liked it, though I was expecting the bird to show up because it was like th at in the cartoon haha different on film I liked it...though if they do actually decide to do an X-Men 4 I want my gal Rogue to fly! That is all I ask for ;)

Descent
October 5th, 2006, 12:35 PM
I want Gambit to be in the fourth one if there is one. I'm a big fan of the cartoon series and he was definately my favorite character. Oh and yes, have Rogue fly finally. :P

the fifth man
October 5th, 2006, 01:57 PM
I want Gambit to be in the fourth one if there is one. I'm a big fan of the cartoon series and he was definately my favorite character. Oh and yes, have Rogue fly finally. :P

Oh, if they do make a fourth X-Men, Gambit definitely needs to be in it. He became such a big part of the X-Men in the comics. As for a villain, I'd love to see Apocalypse. Probably never would happen, but that's still what I'll hope for.

As for the DVD release of X-Men 3, I loved it.:) Nice deleted scenes and alternate endings. I'm just sad we didn't get as many extras on Region 1 as Region 2 got.:(

CCA
October 5th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Yeah I was a huge cartoon fan growing up, and I LOVED Gambit...I think practically because he was from Louisiana, New Orleans and that’s where my mother comes from so it was like I LOVE HIM hahaha and the fact that he irritated Rogue and kept calling her Cher cracked me up always loved those two and I want to see him!!!

As I want more nightcrawler to

But I looked up and I guess they already confirmed for the X-Men 4 just waiting to get the others to sign on...

found at...IGN and sorry if somebody posted this

August 14, 2006 - X-Men producer Lauren Shuler Donner says contract renegotiations are the biggest stumbling blocks in order for X-Men 4 to become a reality.

"The newer cast members are signed, and the older cast members are not," Shuler Donner advised L.A. Daily News columnists Marilyn Beck And Stacy Jenel Smith.

That would mean veteran cast members, such as Hugh Jackman, and Halle Berry, could be too expensive now for 20th Century Fox.

Jackman, however, is onboard for the prequel/spinoff Wolverine, which he is also producing for Fox via his Seed Prods. shingle.

"Next, we're going to do Wolverine, but not before the end of the year because he's in the Baz Luhrmann film," Shuler Donner confirmed. "We have the [Wolverine] script and are working on it. ... We also have Young Magneto in development."

Sheldon Turner is writing the Magneto screenplay, while David Benioff is penning Wolverine. No directors are attached to either project yet.

the fifth man
October 5th, 2006, 02:27 PM
found at...IGN and sorry if somebody posted this

Hmmmm, interesting. Thanks for posting that.:) I sure hope they can get Halle and Hugh to sign on.

scifi_girl
October 6th, 2006, 07:52 AM
i'd love there to be an x-men 4, and im looking forward to the wolverine and magneto films

the fifth man
October 6th, 2006, 08:23 PM
i'd love there to be an x-men 4, and im looking forward to the wolverine and magneto films

Same here. Between Wolverine and Magneto though, the Wolverine movie is what I'm really waiting for.

MasySyma
October 6th, 2006, 08:26 PM
I finally saw X-Men III and enjoyed it. I hope they make a fourth film, and I am looking forward to the Wolverine movie. If the quality stays good, I hope they make many more films.

Film series and sequels should be about quality storylines not milking a plot dry.

CCA
October 6th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Hmmmm, interesting. Thanks for posting that.:) I sure hope they can get Halle and Hugh to sign on.

No problem! ;) I hope so because if they don't want to tick off a lot of fans they will LOL

I have to admit, at first I HATED Storm she always annoyed me and it was more so in the cartoon then anything else do not ask me why either lol. She even annoyed me in the first one but at in the Last Stand she started kicking more butt!!!!

MasySyma - I agree about the quality, I like the series and I do not want them to run it into the ground and screw it up royally by doing a piss poor job on it!

But they have to resolve what they did in X-Men 3 just CAN NOT leave it there (cries)

the fifth man
October 6th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Film series and sequels should be about quality storylines not milking a plot dry.

I totally agree with that. Some movies are made just to be made, whether they should be or not. Where X-Men is concerned though, I think they could at least do another one or two quality movies easily.

Trek_Girl42
October 6th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Same here. Between Wolverine and Magneto though, the Wolverine movie is what I'm really waiting for.
Haven't seen X3, but I'd definitly see a Wolverine movie. :D