This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daedalus > She ??? [Minor Spoilers for 'The Siege 2']

Hi everybody ! I apologize since I suppose the question I'm gonna ask has already been asked several times here ...

In 'The Siege Part 2' (1.20), I've noticed they use 'she' when they talk about the Daedalus.

McKay says : "Oh, sister ship to the Prometheus"
    And Everett ads : "With a ZPM boosting her engine, she should be here inside of four days"

I'm not American, so I don't know if talking about a spaceship by using 'she' is some kind of US tradition . Seriously, my knowledge of English (only 7 years of learning) doesn't allow me to understand this use of 'she' for the Daedalus.

Thank you for helping a Frenchie to improve his English .

They always call the ships and guns and such 'she' or 'her' or whatnot.

Tradition I guess.

That's just about it lol.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
    Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

actually only mountains are named after boys, everything else is girl named - tornados,storms,guns,vehicles.........others i cant think of at the mo
      sigpic
      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
      Stargate : Genesis |
      Original Starship DesignThread
      Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
      11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
        actually only mountains are named after boys, everything else is girl named - tornados,storms,guns,vehicles.........others i cant think of at the mo
        Hurricanes and such are named after guys and girls.

Comment

A ship is always a "she", even when she has a male name. For example, if a ship is named the "George Washington", you would still say, "I've seen the George Washington, she is a great ship."

In a world that seems to be increasing in conformity
          it's harder and harder to be who you wanna be
          It takes a lot of courage to stand up and get what you need
          And lots of us are happy in a different kind of family

Comment

Copy that ! Thank you very much guys and girls for answering !
            I'm gonna transmit the answer to my French SG Community
            (we were all wondering why they named the ship after girl ^^ ).

Comment

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
              Hurricanes and such are named after guys and girls.
              name a male hurricane, tornado or storm?
              sigpic
              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
              Stargate : Genesis |
              Original Starship DesignThread
              Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
              11000! green me

Comment

Are you serious? Hurricane Andrew!! Perhaps the most destructive hurricane in history...not the biggest or baddest but certainly the most destructive.

To get back on topic...it's not that it's tradition to say that ships, trucks or even cars are a "she" I think it's more culture. It's what everyone says and it has just been imbedded into everybody's minds. Not just Americans but I would think everyone in North America.

I never even thought of it...until you pointed it out. It's just second nature

Ace
                "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Hurricane Ivan. They go through, I believe, something like 30 year cycles. They name them after women for 30 years, then for men for 30 years and so on. But we call pretty much anything with an engine, or a beautiful machine "she". For example, you would never call an m-16 "she", but you would call a hand made, one of a kind gun a "she".

Comment

Courtesy of USA Today

Tropical storms and hurricanes are given names to avoid confusion when more than one storm is being followed at the same time. A storm is named when it reaches tropical storm strength with winds of 39 mph. A storm becomes a hurricane when its wind speed reaches 75 mph.

Separate sets of hurricane names are used in the central Pacific, eastern Pacific, and the Atlantic Basin, which includes the Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico. The World Meteorological Organization's Region 4 Hurricane Committee selects the names for Atlantic Basin storms. The names are English, Spanish and French - the languages spoken in the national Atlantic Basin storms hit. They alternate between male and female names. The group has selected six sets of names, which means each set of names is used again each six years.

Forecasters begin using names in 1950. In that year and in 1951, names were from the international phonetic alphabet in use at the time - Able, Baker, Charlie, etc. Female, English-language names were used beginning in 1953.

Alternating male and female names were first used to name Atlantic Basin hurricanes in 1979. This was also the first year that French and Spanish names, as well as English, were used. The first three male names used, Bob, David and Frederick have all been retired because they did tremendous damage. Frederick and David were retired because of the damage they did in 1979. Bob was retired after a hurricane by that name hit New England in 1991.

The first storm each year in the Atlantic Basin and in the eastern Pacific gets an 'A' name. But the year's first hurricane in the central Pacific from 140 degrees west longitude to the International Date Line and the first typhoon west of the Date Line get the next available name on the list, no matter what letter it begins with..

Comment

George, Beulah...

I did a little slideshow project for school last year. I got to do about Hurricances and Tornados. I had a BIG list.

I do remember that during World War II they used only women's names and around 1953 they used male names, and I think around 1973 they started alternating.

Edit: Someone beat me to it and has better dates. I was close! I did this project last year, it's amazing I actually remembered that!

Comment

Originally posted by Harlan
                        Hi everybody ! I apologize since I suppose the question I'm gonna ask has already been asked several times here ...

In 'The Siege Part 2' (1.20), I've noticed they use 'she' when they talk about the Daedalus.

McKay says : "Oh, sister ship to the Prometheus"
                        And Everett ads : "With a ZPM boosting her engine, she should be here inside of four days"

I'm not American, so I don't know if talking about a spaceship by using 'she' is some kind of US tradition . Seriously, my knowledge of English (only 7 years of learning) doesn't allow me to understand this use of 'she' for the Daedalus.

Thank you for helping a Frenchie to improve his English .
                        Any piece of technology that a "red blooded American" takes care of "like a woman" can be referred to as "she" or "her." This applies to guns, cars and boats generally. Spaceship could definately fall into this category.

Comment

naming ships is suposed to bring good luck and it is kind of a tradition

Mckay: Size doesnt matter

Sheppard:thats a myth

I like farris wheels,college football and a good cup of tea.

Comment

Originally posted by Pocket Books, Simon & Schuster, New York, 1969
                            Many people wonder why a ship is referred to as a 'she.' The explanation is that it was customary in early days to dedicate a ship to a goddess, under whose protection she sailed. The ship carried the diety's carved image on her bow not as a decoration, as later generations imagined, but as an aid to finding the way.
                            There is also the metaphor of ships as preganant women, carrying passengers inside.

Or possibly, it's because
                            • It is not the initial expense that breaks you, it's the upkeep.
                            • It takes an experienced man to handle her correctly.
                            • When coming into port, she always heads for the buoys.

Comment

Things which are considered protection or life giving were referred to in a feminine term. Mother Earth, ships, planes, continents, etc.
                              "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                              'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                              Individuality is freedom lived.
                              'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Working...
                              X