This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plot hole...mabey (Spoilers)

at the end of season one, they dialed apothisis ship, which was in orbit around a planet, so the wormhole reached the gate abord his ship. when he left orbit, the gate became inactive as such, because it was not near the co-ordinates of the address. Then, in the episode where they destroy a sun, carter dials the black hole planet, puts a shield round the gate, and launches it at the sun. but, when it leaves the vicinity of the planet, shouldent the wormhole cut off?

Help!
    My emojournal

when it leaves the vicinity of the planet, shouldent the wormhole cut off?
    The gate on Apophis's ship disconnected when they entered hyperspace. The gate must work in small vicinity around the solar system becuase then the Atlantis Gates in space wouldn't work. Also the gate in Exodus was connected to black hole which kept it from shutting off.
    Condemnant quod non intellegunt.

Comment

When Jack flies the 302 into hyperspace to get the gate away from earth(forget the episode name, it was the one with Anubis's 'gate weapon), the gate was still engaged, and stayed engaged.
      JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
      VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
      MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
      LANDRY
      : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
      Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
      Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
      Mmm... Green...

Comment

he engages the hyperspace window inside the atmosphere and drops the gate into it (or similar).

and the black hole idea is a good point. i ment that the wormhole would be "twisted" as such.

Help!
        My emojournal

Comment

The Stargate address must work around a wider area, otherwise it would only work within a tiny period of a planet's orbit and be unavailable the rest of the time.
          Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
          - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

The simplest explanation is that the gates that still worked after leaving the planet were already connected. SG-1 came through the gate on Apophis's ship and it cut off. Then they started travelling and the SGC couldn't dial the gate again. In Exodus and Redemption, the gates were active and then moved. I don't recall any time when the gate was moved while active and then cut off because it moved to far. So this is the most likely case.
            Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

SG-1 travelled to Klorel's ship, in orbit around a distant planet. They were able to connect to Klorel's Gate, and to dial Earth again to send the MALP back, because the orbiting ship was in the system described by the point of origin. The ship could have flown to the far side of the sun and the SGC could still have dialled in; we know this to be true because otherwise the Gate address would not work when the orbit of the planet carried it to that same point.

Moments after the ship entered hyperspace, however, it was a billion miles outside that solar system and travelling at some three thousand times the speed of light; SG-1 could not dial out, because the point of origin was no longer valid, and the SGC could not dial in because there was no Stargate at the destination.

The Gate in Exodus never went outside the orbit of the planet. The Gate in Redemption barely left the atmosphere before it hit detonation time; it could have cut off for all they knew and still exploded. However, it seems more likely that the orbit of Jupiter is simply described by the same Gate address as that of Earth.

Comment

The gate in redemption was spontanioulsy gaining energy even when it was disconnected.

Help!
                My emojournal

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson
                  The gate in redemption was spontanioulsy gaining energy even when it was disconnected.
                  No it was active until it detonated. 'Spontainiously gaining energy' is impossible. those pesky laws of physics.
                  sigpic
                  Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
                    No it was active until it detonated. 'Spontainiously gaining energy' is impossible. those pesky laws of physics.
                    Ohhh i thought it caused some sort of chain reaction, even after shutdown...

Help!
                    My emojournal

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
                      Dude, while I happen to agree that the Gate remained active, parts of the driller in Fallout ran at over 100% efficiency. The laws of physics are officially in abeiance as far as the SGverse is concerned.

Comment

What never made sense to me is what, exactly, a PoO is. I mean, we've seen gates moved from planet to planet, and the gate system is highly adaptive. It would make sense that irregardless of where you are, if you have a DHD, you should be able to dial out (if not in unless your DHD forces a cooralative update telling all the other gates where it is.)

The were in hyperspace when they tried to dial out. The gate uses a spacial coordinate system, it probably ceases to function once in Hyperspace....besides....wormholes tunnel THROUGH hyperspace....how could you open one in hyperspace to begin with?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                          What never made sense to me is what, exactly, a PoO is. I mean, we've seen gates moved from planet to planet, and the gate system is highly adaptive. It would make sense that irregardless of where you are, if you have a DHD, you should be able to dial out (if not in unless your DHD forces a cooralative update telling all the other gates where it is.)

The were in hyperspace when they tried to dial out. The gate uses a spacial coordinate system, it probably ceases to function once in Hyperspace....besides....wormholes tunnel THROUGH hyperspace....how could you open one in hyperspace to begin with?
                          The other alternative is that, since the PoO must be mutable for any system, Stargates take advantage of stellar gravitational/electromagnetic phenomena (we know after all that they are affected by them) and that they are therefore unworkable in interstitial space.

Comment

It is theorized that once a wormhole is locked onto a stargate it will not released even if the gate is moved from its' designated co ordinates, it will "drag" the wormhole along with it. Think of it like two magnets, one is attached to a stick, it has a significantly larger magnetic field, the other is much smaller, it is thrown across the room to the stick, it is attracted by the larger magnet. If I move the stick after the second magnet is attached, the second magent will move allong with the first, if I move the stick before the magnet is thrown, the magnet will not be attracted and the Stargate will not activate... I mean the magnets will not connect.

Owen Macri

Comment

The gate needs seven fixed points in space to operate, 6 destination and 1 PoO. As long as the black hole gate hasn't been destroyed it is still able to be connected to as the destination points are not that accurate.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X