PDA

View Full Version : Ask "BAMBAM" - Spoilers ALL seasons, all SG Shows/Movies

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

David
May 19th, 2005, 08:06 PM
http://www.gateworld.net/david/graphics/bambam.jpg

James "BAMBAM" Bamford has joined us in GateWorld Forum (under the handle "2BAM") to answer your questions! He is the Stunt Coordinator for Stargate: Atlantis and the Fight Coordinator for Stargate SG-1! You may have recognized him as the Athosian armed with a couple of Bantos Rods, sparring against Teyla in Season One's "The Siege, Part II."

A rule: Because of BAMBAM's limited availability we ask that you only submit one question per post in this thread.

As with Joe and Martin, please be curteous when you ask BAMBAM questions. He is kindly giving up some of his free time to be with you!

Droops
May 19th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Great to see you here Mr. Bamford!

Are there other members of the cast that are training like Rachael is?

col_oatmeal
May 19th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Hey Bam2 I am glad you are spending time with us.

Does training to stick fight have any special religious relatons to the Athosions?

keshou
May 19th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Hi Bam2! Welcome to the forum.

What's the most difficult stunt you've had to coordinate on Atlantis so far?

MedusA
May 19th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Hi BamBam,

Firstly, thanks for joining us.

How does someone get into doing stunts? Does it just come from hurting yourself a lot as a child?

Hex.FTB.enabled
May 19th, 2005, 09:12 PM
What other martial arts (if any) are going to be incorporated into SGA besides the Kali/Arnis? (And thanks for that again, btw! ;) )

Lord You
May 19th, 2005, 09:39 PM
I'm a poor college student, but I'm interested in learning martial arts (i.e. jujitsu). What's the cheapest way of doing so? I've looked into several schools, but they seem to cost an arm and a leg. Any advice would be very much appreciated. :)

2BAM
May 20th, 2005, 02:56 AM
Great to see you here Mr. Bamford!

Are there other members of the cast that are training like Rachael is?
Ronon, you will find to be a very talented fighter, yet different from Teyla. I try to keep the characters styles separate. You must watch Season 2 to find out.

2BAM
May 20th, 2005, 02:59 AM
Hey Bam2 I am glad you are spending time with us.

Does training to stick fight have any special religious relatons to the Athosions?
So far, the Athosians traditional martial art is a form of training passed on from generation to generation, to improve the individual's strength, speed, reaction time, and all around combat senses. There has been no mention of any religious connection as yet.

2BAM
May 20th, 2005, 03:02 AM
Hi Bam2! Welcome to the forum.

What's the most difficult stunt you've had to coordinate on Atlantis so far?
That is a very hard question to answer as they all have their merits based on different things. Sometimes the smallest gags are the hardest because people overlook details. The only challenge that I would say is "hard" would be the time factor. It is sometimes very hard to find the time to rehearse any given fight scene because of the rigid schedule we keep. The actor's availabilty is sometimes scarce.

2BAM
May 20th, 2005, 03:09 AM
Hi BamBam,

Firstly, thanks for joining us.

How does someone get into doing stunts? Does it just come from hurting yourself a lot as a child?
Many different methods have been used to break into the stunt world. One thing that helps is to come into the industry with a high level athletic skill in the first place. Martial arts, gymnastics, motocross, high diving,..............etc................these are all skills that are applicable to stunt work, and more. You must be a very adaptable athelete, and be able to take a hard hit as well. Stunt people are the ultimate cross-trainers because they have to have such a diverse number of skills to draw on. After having something to get the attention of the Stunt Coordinator in the first place, one must promote him/herself on set by doing background extra work or anything to get near the Coordinator. This can take years. Sometimes an individual may know someone, or be related to someone to get them in the door. This only starts them out. They must continue to shine in order to get re-hired.

2BAM
May 20th, 2005, 03:13 AM
What other martial arts (if any) are going to be incorporated into SGA besides the Kali/Arnis? (And thanks for that again, btw! ;) )
You will see a variety of practical martial arts including kendo, submission wrestling, Muay Thai, Silat. I try not to limit the choreography to one style............."Knowing is not enough, we must appy................Willing is not enough, we must do."---Bruce Lee.

2BAM
May 20th, 2005, 03:16 AM
I'm a poor college student, but I'm interested in learning martial arts (i.e. jujitsu). What's the cheapest way of doing so? I've looked into several schools, but they seem to cost an arm and a leg. Any advice would be very much appreciated. :)
That is a hard one, depending on the area you live in. The schools cost what they cost. I do not reccomend learning from a book either. You can learn alot of theory from books and videos, but untested, the art is useless. Keep looking in your area, there will be something affordable. Usually at a college you can find instruction for a low, student rate.

Dotus5
May 20th, 2005, 03:21 AM
Welcome 2BAM.

I know it's hard to find a job that you are happy with and I'm guessing that working on SG1/SGA has been good to you, but what has been the worst job you have ever had?

2BAM
May 20th, 2005, 03:23 AM
Welcome 2BAM.

I know it's hard to find a job that you are happy with and I'm guessing that working on SG1/SGA has been good to you, but what has been the worst job you have ever had?
I would have to say.............................when I was 14 I worked in a grocery store, sweeping the front walkway, crushing boxes, stocking shelves..............boring, boring, boring!!

Panther
May 20th, 2005, 03:38 AM
In today's technologically advanced world, many argue that martial arts are an anachronism with respect to utility in combat. I believe that the mental and personal benefits they bring can still be greatly useful in preparing someone for combat, and developing their mind to fight, where the real battle lies. What's your view on this?

hollyshannensangel
May 20th, 2005, 05:34 AM
Thank you for taking time out to answer out questions....

Although we have seen Teyla use the sticks in Hot Zone and Suspicion and the knives in The Eye and The Siege part 2, time wise these scenes were short, my question is this: Will we see her use either method in season two for a longer period?

Mandeep

Cassiopeia
May 20th, 2005, 06:39 AM
My question is this:-

I thought the fight scene in the secret chamber in 'The Brotherhood', going in under cover of the flash-bangs, was fantastic. It came across as very realistic - 'get in hard and fast and precise and regain control'. It certainly gave the impression that it really was in a very confined space, and it demonstrated the military component of Sheppard's team working smoothly and lethally together. (Poor McKay!)

Was that scene more difficult to put together than the more 'spread out' action of, for example, the fights with the Wraith in 'Suspicion' or the fights in the corridors of Atlantis in 'The Seige part 2'? And which do you prefer to plan/co-ordinate?

And can I just say thanks for taking time out to answer our questions, I think the stunts and screen fighting on Atlantis are innovative and of the highest standard!

girlgater
May 20th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Thanks for spending time with us. Also, thanks for all the great stunts on SGA!

My question...will you be appearing in additional episodes of SGA?

Thanks again.

Lord You
May 20th, 2005, 07:44 AM
I'd also like to thank you 2B for making the time to answer our questions.

I thought the fight scene in the secret chamber in 'The Brotherhood', going in under cover of the flash-bangs, was fantastic. It came across as very realistic - 'get in hard and fast and precise and regain control'. It certainly gave the impression that it really was in a very confined space, and it demonstrated the military component of Sheppard's team working smoothly and lethally together. (Poor McKay!) I agree. I think I saw Ford do some submission wrestling move (armbar), but I haven't seen the episode for a long time so I'm unsure.

My final question right now is what's your training schedule look like? I gather it is unusual with the hetic 12-14 hour days that television production demands. How do the actors (and you) keep with it?

2BAM
May 20th, 2005, 09:02 AM
In today's technologically advanced world, many argue that martial arts are an anachronism with respect to utility in combat. I believe that the mental and personal benefits they bring can still be greatly useful in preparing someone for combat, and developing their mind to fight, where the real battle lies. What's your view on this?
I agree completely.

2BAM
May 20th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Thank you for taking time out to answer out questions....

Although we have seen Teyla use the sticks in Hot Zone and Suspicion and the knives in The Eye and The Siege part 2, time wise these scenes were short, my question is this: Will we see her use either method in season two for a longer period?

Mandeep
As you may or may not know, a real fight only takes a few seconds. This is particularilly true if one of the combatants is very skilled. Brad and Robert know this as well so any characters fight scenes will not last longer than 2 minutes max............and that is really long! Most of the scenes will be approx. 30 seconds or so, that is screen time. Of course you will see more of what you saw last season........only different. New characters and storylines.

2BAM
May 20th, 2005, 09:14 AM
My question is this:-

I thought the fight scene in the secret chamber in 'The Brotherhood', going in under cover of the flash-bangs, was fantastic. It came across as very realistic - 'get in hard and fast and precise and regain control'. It certainly gave the impression that it really was in a very confined space, and it demonstrated the military component of Sheppard's team working smoothly and lethally together. (Poor McKay!)

Was that scene more difficult to put together than the more 'spread out' action of, for example, the fights with the Wraith in 'Suspicion' or the fights in the corridors of Atlantis in 'The Seige part 2'? And which do you prefer to plan/co-ordinate?

And can I just say thanks for taking time out to answer our questions, I think the stunts and screen fighting on Atlantis are innovative and of the highest standard!
Thank you for the compliments! This was not difficult to choreagraph at all as the action was very short. The challenge was the timing with the camera operator and all of the actors attacking at just the right moment, to give that explosive feel. This kind of shot requires more rehearsal with camera timing than longer fight sequences because, although shorter in time, it involves more elements and variables. With a more spread out scene, we can isolate everything into pieces much easier, and still show the general geography of the land.

2BAM
May 20th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Thanks for spending time with us. Also, thanks for all the great stunts on SGA!

My question...will you be appearing in additional episodes of SGA?

Thanks again.
I can't answer that as I don't know. That one is up to Brad and Robert and the Directors. That was a fun piece to do with Rachel, but my place is behind the monitor with the Director. Chances are, though, that the answer is yes..................maybe. LOL!

2BAM
May 20th, 2005, 09:28 AM
I'd also like to thank you 2B for making the time to answer our questions.

I agree. I think I saw Ford do some submission wrestling move (armbar), but I haven't seen the episode for a long time so I'm unsure.

My final question right now is what's your training schedule look like? I gather it is unusual with the hetic 12-14 hour days that television production demands. How do the actors (and you) keep with it?
Generally when we are in full production, we only train for a specific fight scene when it comes up. All of the actors that have a style as part of their character undergo a "bootcamp" in a way, when we first meet. After that, time is an issue, so I must rely on knowing the strengths of each individual, and planning the fights based on that. I continue my own training after hours at a fight gym called "FRANCO'S KICKBOXING and PANKRATION". My own training these days mostly consists of several rounds of stand-up Muay Thai sparring, followed by submission wrestling. My martial arts background spans about 26 years, give or take a few. I am always trying out new styles and techniques that don't always apply to film. The actors sometimes ask for some extra training, outside of a specific fight scene, which I love. Rachel has always put in extra practice..................and it shows as you can tell.

FoolishPleasure
May 20th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Mr. B.

Great to see you talking to all us nutters, and hope you are having a good time here.

What other shows/films have you worked on, and how did you get the Stargate job?

Shipperahoy
May 20th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Hi BamBam!

I don't want to get too spoilery, but with the changes to Ford's character that are coming up in the next season will we be seeing more action/fighting scenes with him?

SueS
May 20th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Since you are the fight coordinator for Stargate SG-1, can you tell us a little bit about some of the fight scenes you've coordinated for season 9?

SueS

2BAM
May 20th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Mr. B.

Great to see you talking to all us nutters, and hope you are having a good time here.

What other shows/films have you worked on, and how did you get the Stargate job?
Great to be here!! My resume' is too long to quote here, but you can check it out at www.stuntscanada.com in the members area and you will find all of my information there. I was brought on the show through previous relationships with Martin Wood, Peter Deluise, Andy Mikita, the producer John Smith, and the production manager, George Horie.Take care!!

2BAM
May 20th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Hi BamBam!

I don't want to get too spoilery, but with the changes to Ford's character that are coming up in the next season will we be seeing more action/fighting scenes with him?
I can't tell you that information exactly................but.........................Yes he will be involved in some action for sure!!

_Owen_
May 20th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Hey, welcome to the forum!

Will anyone be thrown off of the balconies next season?

Also what other very cool stunts will we see?

DJFavorite
May 20th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Welcome 2BAM!!!

So, what's the silliest (in your opinion) stunt you've had to coordinate and/or perform?

2BAM
May 20th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Since you are the fight coordinator for Stargate SG-1, can you tell us a little bit about some of the fight scenes you've coordinated for season 9?

SueS
There have only been 2 so far out of the 8 that have been shot. That is, only 2 episodes that have required me to choreograph for. The episode titles are Avalon pt. 2 and Babylon. I only get involved in the major fight sequences on SG1, not just the 1 or 2 punchers. If I told you what/who was involved then I would be giving away too much of the story. Just know this; you will see some new weapons show up that you have not seen before. You will see some old favorite stand-by people, with a new twist. You will love Season 2!!

2BAM
May 20th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Hey, welcome to the forum!

Will anyone be thrown off of the balconies next season?

Also what other very cool stunts will we see?
You will see some folks get some air time............................I can't tell you where or how, but you will see air. Look forward to some great fights, explosions, flying people,.......................................everything you can think of!

2BAM
May 20th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Welcome 2BAM!!!

So, what's the silliest (in your opinion) stunt you've had to coordinate and/or perform?
Well.............................it was not on this series, but on a feature film. I was required to place my hand in a cow's backside, and then the cow and all of her friends, start to stampede down the street. This, of course, occurs in the middle of a real life small town. Yes, yes,..................................for the greater good.

David
May 20th, 2005, 10:52 PM
BamBam, are you presently working with Joe Flanigan on any stunts? What can you tell us?
:D:D

2BAM
May 20th, 2005, 10:59 PM
;)
BamBam, are you presently working with Joe Flanigan on any stunts? What can you tell us?
:D:D
Well....................David....................you little rascal. How are ya? We are in the middle of shooting an episode that is full of Sheppard stunts. He pretty much has every scripted stunt in the show..........................that is all I can say for now. LOL!

Cory Holmes
May 20th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Although this may be a little out of your area of expertise, will we be seeing any more large-scale gun battles like we got in Heroes? Will we be getting of that in Atlantis?

2BAM
May 20th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Although this may be a little out of your area of expertise, will we be seeing any more large-scale gun battles like we got in Heroes? Will we be getting of that in Atlantis?
Not at all. The stunt coordinator is involved in all areas of combat, and action period. The answer is yes, at some point there will be a gun battle in Atlantis. To what extent, I cannot say at this early time in the shooting season.

Easter Lily
May 21st, 2005, 12:16 AM
Hi Mr B
Thank you for answering our questions...
One of my favourite fight scenes is when Ford takes on a Genii in The Brotherhood somewhere towards the end of the episode... It was too cool. Was that effect hard to achieve? Rainbow looked like a seasoned campaigner...

SueS
May 21st, 2005, 06:32 AM
There have only been 2 so far out of the 8 that have been shot. That is, only 2 episodes that have required me to choreograph for. The episode titles are Avalon pt. 2 and Babylon. I only get involved in the major fight sequences on SG1, not just the 1 or 2 punchers. If I told you what/who was involved then I would be giving away too much of the story. Just know this; you will see some new weapons show up that you have not seen before. You will see some old favorite stand-by people, with a new twist. You will love Season 2!!

Thanks for answering. By stand-by people do you mean recurring characters?

Also, you said "you will love Season 2!!" did you mean Season 9 since I was asking about Stargate SG-1?

BTW, I fully expect to enjoy both SG-1 and Atlantis. :)

SueS

prion
May 21st, 2005, 08:15 AM
In the Stargate Atlantis episode "The Siege", McKay 'drops' when the artificial gravity is turned on in the satellite array station. How did you guys convince David Hewlett to do that stunt? Or did he want to? :D

Thanks!

ShardsofGlass
May 21st, 2005, 08:23 AM
BamBam, We've heard that Ben Browder has a big sword fight in the opening two-parter of SG-1. Did you choreograph that fight? What is the process that something like that goes through, i.e., how much rehearsal does it take and how long does it take to film? How do you keep the actors safe?

Merentha
May 21st, 2005, 08:40 AM
BamBam,

Thanks so much for answering our questions, and keep up the great work! I love seeing martial arts on my favourite sci-fi shows.

My question is, will we be seeing more of Teyla and Sheppard practicing fighting? (or rather, Teyla kicking Shep's butt... :p ) Although in Hot Zone he said he'd much rather be using a gun, it would be great to see him develop more appreciation of her fighting techniques and put some into use (perhaps if he finds himself without a gun or out of ammo).
Thanks!

Lady Loki
May 21st, 2005, 09:20 AM
You've done a great job so far!

In your opinion, in both Stargate SG1 and Atlantis, what has been the hardest scene to choreograph?

Major Tyler
May 21st, 2005, 10:07 AM
Wait a minute...BamBam, did you ever play a Replicator? :P

2BAM
May 21st, 2005, 10:21 AM
Hi Mr B
Thank you for answering our questions...
One of my favourite fight scenes is when Ford takes on a Genii in The Brotherhood somewhere towards the end of the episode... It was too cool. Was that effect hard to achieve? Rainbow looked like a seasoned campaigner...
That particular takedown is called a flying armbar, and it is very effective. I took advantage of Rainbow's breakdancing background, and his ability to jump high, and gave him this nice submission takedown to learn. He picked it up in about 5 minutes without any problem. With this kind of takedown it is important to have the proper subject to apply it on so I put in stuntman/Canadian Muay Thai Heavyweight Champ/Submission Fighter: Paul Lazenby. Don't just try this at home though, it is a very painful technique! Thanx for your interest!

2BAM
May 21st, 2005, 10:25 AM
Thanks for answering. By stand-by people do you mean recurring characters?

Also, you said "you will love Season 2!!" did you mean Season 9 since I was asking about Stargate SG-1?

BTW, I fully expect to enjoy both SG-1 and Atlantis. :)

SueS
Yes, you are correct! I am on Atlantis most of the time..............Season 2. I just get used to saying "Season 2" all of the time. Sorry for the mix up. LOL!! No, not recurring characters, but race. I can't say anymore on that subject or I will have said too much. I hope this fills in the blanks for you.

2BAM
May 21st, 2005, 10:27 AM
In the Stargate Atlantis episode "The Siege", McKay 'drops' when the artificial gravity is turned on in the satellite array station. How did you guys convince David Hewlett to do that stunt? Or did he want to? :D

Thanks!
I actually had a stunt double on set, but David trusts me and wanted to do it himself. I assured him of his safety, and he just went for it, more than once. This season, David has shown much more of the same "gung-ho" attitude when he has a stunt to be involved in!

2BAM
May 21st, 2005, 10:31 AM
BamBam, We've heard that Ben Browder has a big sword fight in the opening two-parter of SG-1. Did you choreograph that fight? What is the process that something like that goes through, i.e., how much rehearsal does it take and how long does it take to film? How do you keep the actors safe?
The answer is yes...........that is one of my fights. Ben has had some prior sword training so he was a natural. I had about 6 hours of rehearsal time in total with Ben, before the shoot date. We always rehearse just before we roll the camera, a couple of times, to jog the brain on the moves. That scene took 1 full 12 day to shoot and about 3 hours on second unit shooting to finish. I think you will be impressed with Mr. B!!

2BAM
May 21st, 2005, 10:32 AM
BamBam,

Thanks so much for answering our questions, and keep up the great work! I love seeing martial arts on my favourite sci-fi shows.

My question is, will we be seeing more of Teyla and Sheppard practicing fighting? (or rather, Teyla kicking Shep's butt... :p ) Although in Hot Zone he said he'd much rather be using a gun, it would be great to see him develop more appreciation of her fighting techniques and put some into use (perhaps if he finds himself without a gun or out of ammo).
Thanks!
The answer is..................well......................probably. We have established that they do train together from time to time. You will see some changes to the training roster in Season 2.

2BAM
May 21st, 2005, 10:35 AM
You've done a great job so far!

In your opinion, in both Stargate SG1 and Atlantis, what has been the hardest scene to choreograph?
I would say the knife fight in The Eye, in addition to the Genii staff training sequence. I had limited access to the actors for rehearsal and in the knife fight, our lovely guest, Erin, had no prior training or fight experience. It was hard to pull off but it looks great!!

2BAM
May 21st, 2005, 10:38 AM
Wait a minute...BamBam, did you ever play a Replicator? :P
Yes...........that was me!! I was just minding my own business in the production office hallway when Andy Mikita, the director of that episode, walked up to me and said, "You would make a great Replicator! Would you like to be one on my episode?" The schedules worked out, and there I was. That was a fun scene.

benmecha
May 21st, 2005, 12:02 PM
Hi Bambam (appropriate nickname, by the way :p )

Is the Browder swordfight going to be using a "real" (i.e. kenjutsu) or "hollywood" (i.e. anything else) style? As an SCA-dian, I take interest in such things :D .

Unamed
May 21st, 2005, 12:39 PM
Hey 2bam thanks for your time.

My question is what is it like working with the cast? What are they like in regard to the action scenes?

Purpleyin
May 21st, 2005, 01:36 PM
Hi BamBam

Thanks for taking the time to respond to questions here, I've been enjoying reading all your answers. The stunts last season on Atlantis looked great and I really liked the Siege Part 2 bit with you in (hoping you might make another cameo next season :))

My question is, how did you get interested and started in martial arts?

blueguy w/thehand
May 21st, 2005, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the time. If this is a repeat sorry.

any really new things in sga s2?

Hex.FTB.enabled
May 21st, 2005, 04:58 PM
I'm trying my best to ask this with good intentions as I can't stand the posters who thinnly disguise rants and insults as questions, so here goes:

As someone who has been VERY happy to see a nifty and still practical martial art on the show, one thing has been bothering me (as a woman who has some martial arts experience): Teyla's training outfit. Is there going to be any change to that costume? (Don't know if you can actually answer that, but thought it was worth a shot, and again, this is not meant as an accusation/rant/insult/whatever. Keep up the fabulous work!)

Merlin7
May 21st, 2005, 05:24 PM
Hi, Bambam. Thanks for taking time to answer our questions. Btw you do good work on the show. It's terrific.

I have a question about Joe Flanigan. I know he's very athletic. How is he to work with? What he's done so far looks great. Love the dive over the railing in STORM and the roll at the end of EYE and such. You seem to have created a Street fighter type of style for Sheppard.

AncientGateAngel
May 21st, 2005, 06:03 PM
I don't really have a question. I just wanted to say thanks to you and all the others associated with both SG1 and Atlantis for taking the time out of their schedules to come on the board and share insights and answer questions. I think that it is great that all you guys care so much about the fans that you are willing to do this. We really appreciate it!

We love the shows. Keep up the good work. I want to see many more seasons of both shows! Much love and respect to you all.

2BAM
May 21st, 2005, 06:48 PM
Hi Bambam (appropriate nickname, by the way :p )

Is the Browder swordfight going to be using a "real" (i.e. kenjutsu) or "hollywood" (i.e. anything else) style? As an SCA-dian, I take interest in such things :D .
There are other styles that are derived from regions of the globe other than "hollywood". This particular fight, since you ask uses old broadsword style. You will have to watch to understand why...............................

2BAM
May 21st, 2005, 06:52 PM
Hey 2bam thanks for your time.

My question is what is it like working with the cast? What are they like in regard to the action scenes?
The cast on SGA and on SG1 are both fantastic. That was more than one question, but I will continue...............Every actor is an individual. Some prefer to do everything themselves........others don't. It is my job to ensure that the action sequences look their best while at the same time keeping the actors safe and sound. All of our actors enjoy the rush of doing their own stunts as much as I do, but sometimes it is not safe enough to risk the well being of any actor.

Lord You
May 21st, 2005, 07:05 PM
I would say the knife fight in The Eye, in addition to the Genii staff training sequence. I had limited access to the actors for rehearsal and in the knife fight, our lovely guest, Erin, had no prior training or fight experience. It was hard to pull off but it looks great!!
The Genii training sequence in The Storm seemed a little bit off. How accurate was the end where the general trapped the Genii woman's hand between the sticks? I felt that was a little bit too fantastic; although, I'm certainly not an expert in that type of MA.

BTW. So you doubled for Ice T?!?! LOL I can see David Duchovny, Jerry O'Connell, or Chris Gorham... but Ice T? I'm sorry for laughing, but i don't think you look alike. :) Nice job scoring that opportunity, though.

2BAM
May 21st, 2005, 07:08 PM
Hi BamBam

Thanks for taking the time to respond to questions here, I've been enjoying reading all your answers. The stunts last season on Atlantis looked great and I really liked the Siege Part 2 bit with you in (hoping you might make another cameo next season :))

My question is, how did you get interested and started in martial arts?
The answer is...................Bruce Lee. One of my uncles took me to an old drive-in theatre when I was 10 years of age. This particular theatre happened to be playing "Enter the Dragon". I flipped out, and started training in both Karate, and Tae Kwon Do with two of my uncles, at home. When I was 12 years of age, I had the choice of starting to play football, or getting Karate lessons for my Birthday. I sprained my ankle playing basketball during lunch hour at school and could not run that well. Well............................I took the Karate lessons. The dojo(school) became my home away from home. My sensei(instructor), invited masters of other styles to train at the dojo, and that is when I started also training in Kali and Balintawak Eskrima. Since then, I have studied many styles for interest sake, and to broaden my base of knowledge. I try to keep an open mind when it comes to martial arts, but I have my personal opinions as well. I tend to lean towards the practical side of things, for the most part. Unless the character is some sort of comic book hero, I leave acrobatics out of my choreography. I have competed in the ring in full contact/kickboxing and been around the real world long enough to know that if someone attempted to throw a back flip in the middle of a fight with me...........................well............point made.

2BAM
May 21st, 2005, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the time. If this is a repeat sorry.

any really new things in sga s2?
yes.

2BAM
May 21st, 2005, 07:16 PM
I'm trying my best to ask this with good intentions as I can't stand the posters who thinnly disguise rants and insults as questions, so here goes:

As someone who has been VERY happy to see a nifty and still practical martial art on the show, one thing has been bothering me (as a woman who has some martial arts experience): Teyla's training outfit. Is there going to be any change to that costume? (Don't know if you can actually answer that, but thought it was worth a shot, and again, this is not meant as an accusation/rant/insult/whatever. Keep up the fabulous work!)
I understand what you are saying. This is meant to be an Athosian traditional training outfit. I have nothing to do with the design so I can only say that Rachel looks great in it! It is very easy to move in, but provides little or no protection for falls etc........so when you see Teyla hitting the cement in that outfit........she is really hitting the cement-no padding!! I am sure that Teyla has also brought with her more clothes to train in. Let's see what happens in Season 2. Thanx for watching, and for being honest........keep it up!

White Knight
May 21st, 2005, 07:17 PM
Hello, Mr Bamford!

It's excellent that you have decided to take the plunge and answer our sometimes insightful, occasionally irrelevant, and always enthusiastic questions. When you're done, I can reccomend an excellent electro-shock therapist.

My question fro you is thus; we know that Teyla can beat the stuffing out of Sheppard, and we've been told that Ronan Dex is a very skilled fighter and soldier. Will we be seeing Teyla and Ronan sparring, and if so, what will it be like (as in, super-fast, really brutal, really elefant, even-stevens, etc.)?

Yours in revelation,
The White Knight

2BAM
May 21st, 2005, 07:22 PM
Hi, Bambam. Thanks for taking time to answer our questions. Btw you do good work on the show. It's terrific.

I have a question about Joe Flanigan. I know he's very athletic. How is he to work with? What he's done so far looks great. Love the dive over the railing in STORM and the roll at the end of EYE and such. You seem to have created a Street fighter type of style for Sheppard.
You are correct in the style choice, although Shep has been doing some training with Teyla as well, as you know. Yes, Joe is very athletic and that dive he did without a double at all. He has a trainer in the off season and spends alot of his time working out to stay in shape. Joe showed up for Season 2 with some new muscles, I think! LOL!

2BAM
May 21st, 2005, 07:25 PM
I don't really have a question. I just wanted to say thanks to you and all the others associated with both SG1 and Atlantis for taking the time out of their schedules to come on the board and share insights and answer questions. I think that it is great that all you guys care so much about the fans that you are willing to do this. We really appreciate it!

We love the shows. Keep up the good work. I want to see many more seasons of both shows! Much love and respect to you all.
Thanx sooooooooooooooooo much for watching!! All of us appreciate it more than you will ever know! Thank you as well, for your positive feedback and compliments. We like those! We will all strive to give you more of the same, but always striving to do better.

2BAM
May 21st, 2005, 07:34 PM
The Genii training sequence in The Storm seemed a little bit off. How accurate was the end where the general trapped the Genii woman's hand between the sticks? I felt that was a little bit too fantastic; although, I'm certainly not an expert in that type of MA.

BTW. So you doubled for Ice T?!?! LOL I can see David Duchovny, Jerry O'Connell, or Chris Gorham... but Ice T? I'm sorry for laughing, but i don't think you look alike. :) Nice job scoring that opportunity, though.
Ya, I know. I don't look anything like Ice-T!! I use to double for Bra'tac as well!! Sometimes the stunt coordinator can't find the perfect physical double for the actor, so he has to go with the next closest thing. Sometimes the next closest thing is really far off, but has the skills required to get the job done. The Ice-T thing required alot of make-up, and I didn't even really make the final cut because they just used the footage from the actor himself. He didn't really need a double that day anyway. That is just my opinion. A very nice man though. The accuracy of the hand trap is technically correct. The timing is off on the fight a bit so it does not sell as well, but it is correct. To test it, take two staffs, two inches in diameter, and get your best friend to squeeze your hand between them..................no, don't try this at home. It works, trust me on this, it works and is very painful. LOL! Good eye!

2BAM
May 21st, 2005, 07:44 PM
Hello, Mr Bamford!

It's excellent that you have decided to take the plunge and answer our sometimes insightful, occasionally irrelevant, and always enthusiastic questions. When you're done, I can reccomend an excellent electro-shock therapist.

My question fro you is thus; we know that Teyla can beat the stuffing out of Sheppard, and we've been told that Ronan Dex is a very skilled fighter and soldier. Will we be seeing Teyla and Ronan sparring, and if so, what will it be like (as in, super-fast, really brutal, really elefant, even-stevens, etc.)?

Yours in revelation,
The White Knight
I would love to be able to answer that, but if I did it would give away too much. Know this..............you be able to see a comparison between the 2 styles of Teyla and Ronon. In what context, or venue, I can't say at this point. Sorry for being so vague, but................you know the rules. Thanx for the interest though!

Saqqara
May 21st, 2005, 08:15 PM
Hey James, Thank You for your time.
I had the honor to work around you on the TV Show The Sentinel way back in 1999, You played "Nick Ray", fun time, cool show Nice to see your still working and doing some kick but work, and I have to thank you, you were very sweet to work around I was a kinda green SAG member, but everyone was cool :)

My question is, I want to change my body type and was thinking of going from the weights and treadmill to something like kickboxing, for the leaner muscle, is there any type of martial arts that would help in that?

Thank You in advance

2BAM
May 21st, 2005, 09:34 PM
Hey James, Thank You for your time.
I had the honor to work around you on the TV Show The Sentinel way back in 1999, You played "Nick Ray", fun time, cool show Nice to see your still working and doing some kick but work, and I have to thank you, you were very sweet to work around I was a kinda green SAG member, but everyone was cool :)

My question is, I want to change my body type and was thinking of going from the weights and treadmill to something like kickboxing, for the leaner muscle, is there any type of martial arts that would help in that?

Thank You in advance
Many of the martial arts would help in that respect, with regular training of course. Kickboxing, Submission wrestling, many styles of Kung Fu..................any form of training will give you that lean body you are looking for as long as you don't eat a pizza every 15 minutes! LOL!! But seriously, it seems that you live in California. Did you ever live in Vancouver? I hope that I can work with you again soon. Cali has a huge amount of martial arts schools, and different styles. You must visit many different schools and actually watch a class to find out which one is the right one for you. I wish you well, and look forward to seeing you again soon!!

Saqqara
May 21st, 2005, 09:44 PM
Many of the martial arts would help in that respect, with regular training of course. Kickboxing, Submission wrestling, many styles of Kung Fu..................any form of training will give you that lean body you are looking for as long as you don't eat a pizza every 15 minutes! LOL!! But seriously, it seems that you live in California. Did you ever live in Vancouver? I hope that I can work with you again soon. Cali has a huge amount of martial arts schools, and different styles. You must visit many different schools and actually watch a class to find out which one is the right one for you. I wish you well, and look forward to seeing you again soon!!

Oh no hun I would just LOVE to live in Vancouver it is beautiful, I have been lucky to get to go up there to visit friends and work, there is a Noodle place I am just in love with up there :) but not much anymore, I would love to work with you again you are very sweet.

I live in San Diego now and there are lots of dojos here, So what would be some of the things one would look for or is it ok to tell the Sensi what I'm looking for and if his class is right?

Pizza, what's that I haven't had a pizza in years, I'm more of a vegetarian..LOL :)

2BAM
May 21st, 2005, 09:48 PM
Oh no hun I would just LOVE to live in Vancouver it is beautiful, I have been lucky to get to go up there to visit friends and work, there is a Noodle place I am just in love with up there :) but not much anymore, I would love to work with you again you are very sweet.

I live in San Diego now and there are lots of dojos here, So what would be some of the things one would look for or is it ok to tell the Sensi what I'm looking for and if his class is right?

Pizza, what's that I haven't had a pizza in years, I'm more of a vegetarian..LOL :)
You can tell by watching the class if it is right for you. Look at all of the intermediate and advanced students.................are they in shape? Do they have the bodies that you are looking to have for yourself? If yes, then go for it!! I wish that I could remember you, that was a long time ago. What was the name of your character, and what scene were we in together? Was it by the docks, on the water?

Saqqara
May 21st, 2005, 09:54 PM
You can tell by watching the class if it is right for you. Look at all of the intermediate and advanced students.................are they in shape? Do they have the bodies that you are looking to have for yourself? If yes, then go for it!! I wish that I could remember you, that was a long time ago. What was the name of your character, and what scene were we in together? Was it by the docks, on the water?

LOL I sent you a PM it wouldn't have been hard to miss me back then, think Pamela Anderson only not as dingy..although LOL

Ok, will do there is a dojo right down the street I keep looking at, cool and again thank you for your answers since I'm kind of stuck in a 10 and should be an 8 to get back in front of the camera LOL But it's all good :)

And to be honest, I remember faces more then episodes, I'm sorry and 1999 I did so many that year it was unreal, Lots of shower scenes ;)

Easter Lily
May 22nd, 2005, 02:49 AM
That particular takedown is called a flying armbar, and it is very effective. <snip> Don't just try this at home though, it is a very painful technique! Thanx for your interest!

Not even to discipline my 4 year old...?! Oh drats! :p ;)

Thanks a million for answering my question!

I'm a huge fan of HK martial arts films and was wondering if there's any possibility of wirework in the future... flying aliens and that sort of thing... ;)

BritAngie
May 22nd, 2005, 03:21 AM
Hi there!

I know that some actors enjoy doing stunts. As a professional stunt man where do you draw the line at what you won't let someone do full stop even though they may be up for it?

Purpleyin
May 22nd, 2005, 04:25 AM
Thanks for answering my question before, and I have another if that's okay. :)

I saw you were stunt double for Jonothan LaPaglia on Seven Days, and given that there doesn't at first glance appear to be that much fighting on the show, certainly not like Teyla's sparring on SGA atleast, I was wondering what kind of stunts you ended up doing on the show? Forgive me if there was some kind of sparring on the show, I only ever got to see first half of Season 1 so wouldn't know if there had been anything later on.

White Knight
May 22nd, 2005, 05:18 AM
Hello again!
This only occured to me just now...

The Electronic Entertainment Expo is upon us, and one of the many new games being previewed is the first/third-person action-shooter, Stargate SG1: the Alliance. As someone who professionally coreographs the action scenes on Stargate, have you had any involvement with the game? And if so, can you tell us about it?
I know its probably a long shot that you are involved, but you know what they say: ...ask...questions...'n stuff...

Yours in generation,
The White Knight

kirmit
May 22nd, 2005, 08:01 AM
Hi,
My question is you've worked on both SGA and SG-1 so out of Teal'c and Teyla who is the more skilled fighter?
Btw ur doin a great job on the shows.

2BAM
May 22nd, 2005, 09:41 AM

Thanks a million for answering my question!

I'm a huge fan of HK martial arts films and was wondering if there's any possibility of wirework in the future... flying aliens and that sort of thing... ;)
There is always a possibility, as this is one of my specialties................I try not to incorporate wires unless they are justified though. Personally, I am not a big fan of the "no-gravity" look, but using wires to enhance athletics is cool. Jackie Chan is a master of wires without making it look like there are any..................example: "Drunken Master 2".

2BAM
May 22nd, 2005, 09:49 AM
Hi there!

I know that some actors enjoy doing stunts. As a professional stunt man where do you draw the line at what you won't let someone do full stop even though they may be up for it?
Each case is individual depending on the abilities of the actor. Sometimes the gag is far too dangerous, ie. will hurt no matter what precautions are taken, or ie. too many variables involved. This is when a stunt double is mandatory. At a certain point, the insurance company needs to know that the actor is protected from harms way, and the production needs to have the actor back and able to work the next day. Some stunt will hurt no matter what, this is the line.................ie. being hit by a car.....etc.

2BAM
May 22nd, 2005, 09:55 AM
Thanks for answering my question before, and I have another if that's okay. :)

I saw you were stunt double for Jonothan LaPaglia on Seven Days, and given that there doesn't at first glance appear to be that much fighting on the show, certainly not like Teyla's sparring on SGA atleast, I was wondering what kind of stunts you ended up doing on the show? Forgive me if there was some kind of sparring on the show, I only ever got to see first half of Season 1 so wouldn't know if there had been anything later on.
I only doubled Johnathon a few times, and was not his regular double. That said, martial arts is not the limit of my skill set. I am a utility stuntman. This means I have been trained in most of the other "generic" stunts such as full body burns, high falls, driving, air rams, ratchets, wire-work. One of the only things I tend to leave to others is motorcycle stunts. Although I own a sport bike, and love to ride, there are so many guys out there that only ride and this there specialty. But to further answer, there was no call for martial arts while I was doubling Johnathon. Just jumping, or falling off high things etc......

2BAM
May 22nd, 2005, 09:57 AM
Hello again!
This only occured to me just now...

The Electronic Entertainment Expo is upon us, and one of the many new games being previewed is the first/third-person action-shooter, Stargate SG1: the Alliance. As someone who professionally coreographs the action scenes on Stargate, have you had any involvement with the game? And if so, can you tell us about it?
I know its probably a long shot that you are involved, but you know what they say: ...ask...questions...'n stuff...

Yours in generation,
The White Knight
I had no involvement in the game. It was done before I was officially involved in SG1 choreography.

2BAM
May 22nd, 2005, 10:04 AM
Hi,
My question is you've worked on both SGA and SG-1 so out of Teal'c and Teyla who is the more skilled fighter?
Btw ur doin a great job on the shows.
Since I have become the fight choreographer on SG1, there has not been any fight action for Teal'c so I can't speak from working with Chris, although I have worked with him as a stunt performer. From what I gather, from watching previous episodes, Teal'c's style is just different. It if based on power, and brute strength, whereas Teyla's style is based on speed, agility, and technique. Teal'c also has technique involved but it is less intricate. Each strike from Teal'c would no doubt, take your head off. This is a question that I have pondered myself, and I suggested to Chris Judge that Teal'c somehow get to our galaxy and engage in a training session with Teyla..............now wouldn't that be interesting..........Chris has spoken with me about training, and when the time comes we will be working on developing some new techniques for him that are more advanced, and more dangerous.

Saqqara
May 22nd, 2005, 10:11 AM
Oh I know I have another question, Stunt School. Do you think Stunt People should go to a school or is the Stunt School more or less for networking.

I went for a couple sessions when I lived in LA at the LAFA, and met a few guys who talked me into trying jumping off a building, total rush and the stunt driving, but I didn't continue b/c I felt it was more networking then anything. Broadsword play was cool, but they are heavy.... Wondering your thoughts

2BAM
May 22nd, 2005, 10:26 AM
Oh I know I have another question, Stunt School. Do you think Stunt People should go to a school or is the Stunt School more or less for networking.

I went for a couple sessions when I lived in LA at the LAFA, and met a few guys who talked me into trying jumping off a building, total rush and the stunt driving, but I didn't continue b/c I felt it was more networking then anything. Broadsword play was cool, but they are heavy.... Wondering your thoughts
That depends on the school..............there are some good schools out there. At times, schools are opened as a money making scheme only, so the quality of the instruction is not there. There are some great stunt driving schools in the LA area. Rick Seaman's Motion Picture Stunt Driving School, is the top one at the moment. Many LA stunt people, and Canadian stunt people attend that school. If one is interested in becoming a stunt performer, it is good idea to already have an extensive background in athletics................ie. be the best you can be at something that is not too generic, so you will stand out from the crowd. Aside from training, networking is an important part of the industry, so if that is where you are looking to go with your career..................do it. If you are still an actress that wants to get some new skills, your view is totally understandable. Just try to take out of it what you want, and ignore the politics of it all..............its hard, but can be done. Take care!

Saqqara
May 22nd, 2005, 10:36 AM
Thank You for answering mine and others questions and taking time out of your day to do so :) You take care to.

I am still a SAG member but I don't work as often anymore as I live down in SD now, but someday I may get to work in Vancouver again ;)

Purpleyin
May 22nd, 2005, 12:16 PM
Just had a thought and have to ask, how does it differ (if it does at all) to train and organise fgihts/stunts for characters wearing prosthetics etc, like Steve's fight with Teyla in Suspicion?

Lord You
May 22nd, 2005, 02:32 PM
Oh my! Armbars (http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/rcjones/guardarmbar.html) are really painful. During training at my local club we try to set them up quickly but apply pressure slowly so as not to permanently damage anyone's elbow and give him/her time to tap out. But they still hurt! When facing a relatively unskilled opponent, some people allow takedowns so they can get into guard and quickly initiate an armbar. The trick is setting them up quickly, since they are relatively easy to counter if you know what's coming. Mad props to Rainbow and Paul Lazenby for making it look convincing.

abydchulac
May 22nd, 2005, 04:07 PM
Hey, thanks for giving us your time and answers like this, Mr. Bamford. I just was wondering, how much leeway are you given in designing the stunts and fights? Do the directors usually have an exact look or effect they want ("yeah, like they don't usually," mutters the young actor-in-training), or are they more along the lines of, "Okay, Teyla trains with Sheppard, Teyla wins, now go do something."

Wraith_Hunter
May 22nd, 2005, 06:52 PM
Hi Mr Bamford. It's me the Non believer back to bother you again! :)

When I was a kid I took Boxing for 5 years. Mum thought it was too brutal so made me give it up & told me instead to take up Martial Art's. I chose TKD as it was my nearest school, Took it for 6 years until I had an altercation with a group of guys on my 16th Birthday. Some of the shortcomings were exposed to me after the multiple beatings I received, espeically the lack of Hand Skills that I was missing. So Again I changed & this time took up Hapkido. Been doing it for the past 8 years. So the three main styles I have trained have all sort of blended together into my own personal style. I have read a few of your answers & see that you have also crosstrained a lot with different styles.

All characters in the show all have their own personal style. Ford used the Flying Armbar most likely from Bjj (or Flying Juji Gatame as it was origianlly known in Japanese Judo.) So he seems to be into the Mma stuff, Since season 2 will feature a lot more soldiers from Earth they will probably all have similar styles of Mma/Jkd etc etc. Teyla is Kali/Escrima & Dex will have his own style, as will others like Wraith & other aliens on both SG-1 & Atlantis.

Since you are the head stunt guy on Stargate. I assume it's you that decides which style goes to which character after getting the appropriate info about their background. So as you've trained in more than 1 Martial Art, is it you who gives the Actors their final moves for the scene or for styles which you have no personal experience in do you rely on or bring in someone from/to your Stunt team who has the training behind them or suggests some cool moves. To bring the Actors up to speed on their moves for the required fight sequence.

2BAM
May 23rd, 2005, 02:27 AM
Just had a thought and have to ask, how does it differ (if it does at all) to train and organise fgihts/stunts for characters wearing prosthetics etc, like Steve's fight with Teyla in Suspicion?
I do have to take the Spfx make-up into account, but the fight in Suspicion was one of my stuntmen in the make-up. When I put my own people in the make-up I trust that they will handle it, no matter what the choreography. The only trouble we have had with the Wraith is the sight out of the contacts that they wear.

2BAM
May 23rd, 2005, 02:28 AM
Oh my! Armbars (http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/rcjones/guardarmbar.html) are really painful. During training at my local club we try to set them up quickly but apply pressure slowly so as not to permanently damage anyone's elbow and give him/her time to tap out. But they still hurt! When facing a relatively unskilled opponent, some people allow takedowns so they can get into guard and quickly initiate an armbar. The trick is setting them up quickly, since they are relatively easy to counter if you know what's coming. Mad props to Rainbow and Paul Lazenby for making it look convincing.
I thank you for them. Paul has also done some pro wrestling, so he is a master at selling those techniques.

2BAM
May 23rd, 2005, 02:30 AM
Hey, thanks for giving us your time and answers like this, Mr. Bamford. I just was wondering, how much leeway are you given in designing the stunts and fights? Do the directors usually have an exact look or effect they want ("yeah, like they don't usually," mutters the young actor-in-training), or are they more along the lines of, "Okay, Teyla trains with Sheppard, Teyla wins, now go do something."
So far, as you said, now go do something. They have learned to trust me, and rarely get too specific with their vision. I try to ask enough questions so that I can get exactly what they want in the end anyway.

2BAM
May 23rd, 2005, 02:36 AM
Hi Mr Bamford. It's me the Non believer back to bother you again! :)

When I was a kid I took Boxing for 5 years. Mum thought it was too brutal so made me give it up & told me instead to take up Martial Art's. I chose TKD as it was my nearest school, Took it for 6 years until I had an altercation with a group of guys on my 16th Birthday. Some of the shortcomings were exposed to me after the multiple beatings I received, espeically the lack of Hand Skills that I was missing. So Again I changed & this time took up Hapkido. Been doing it for the past 8 years. So the three main styles I have trained have all sort of blended together into my own personal style. I have read a few of your answers & see that you have also crosstrained a lot with different styles.

All characters in the show all have their own personal style. Ford used the Flying Armbar most likely from Bjj (or Flying Juji Gatame as it was origianlly known in Japanese Judo.) So he seems to be into the Mma stuff, Since season 2 will feature a lot more soldiers from Earth they will probably all have similar styles of Mma/Jkd etc etc. Teyla is Kali/Escrima & Dex will have his own style, as will others like Wraith & other aliens on both SG-1 & Atlantis.

Since you are the head stunt guy on Stargate. I assume it's you that decides which style goes to which character after getting the appropriate info about their background. So as you've trained in more than 1 Martial Art, is it you who gives the Actors their final moves for the scene or for styles which you have no personal experience in do you rely on or bring in someone from/to your Stunt team who has the training behind them or suggests some cool moves. To bring the Actors up to speed on their moves for the required fight sequence.
I am constantly learning new techniques for film from different styles. Sometimes I learn something by watching, and then pass it on to the actors. Sometimes I bring in one of my team to demonstrate the technique for the actors. It really depends on the technique, and how well versed I am in it. What you can do in RL and on film are two different things. I can be shown something that I could not pull off in a real fight but have no problem demonstrating it for film. That happens quite often.

Kas
May 23rd, 2005, 02:43 AM
Hi Mr Bamford,

Firstly, I would just like to add my thanks to you for coming and giving us all this insight into the world of stunts..

I'm not sure this has been asked...but is there any way you could attend the Stargate Conventions - (esp. UK :) )?... It would be fascinating to have Stunt Demonstrations to visually see the setup and procedure.
Thanks, Kas

teddybearnospaces
May 23rd, 2005, 08:25 AM
At last! An ask (insert person's name associated with the show here) thread I can get interested in!
I know you've gotten a ton of this, but thanks for posting, it really is a treat. Did I mention you were my new favorite person? Probalby. Anyway. I assume there will be more sequences with stick fighting in the upcoming season. My question is, are they going to get it out of the training area? The majority of the cool stuff we've seen has all been in the training environment. Which I don't mind because the action doesn't stop in practice like it does in a fight, but I just wanna know if we're going to get to see Teyla actually kicking some butt instead of practicing?

btw, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. You wouldn't happen to have any use for a 22 year old martial artist with a 12 year kung fu background and experience with aikido, tai chi, arnis, kendo, iaido, and a little bit of wushu weapons would you? (shrug) Can't hurt to ask right?

"A martial artist does not become tense, but ready," Bruce Lee

bobjim
May 23rd, 2005, 12:36 PM
Hi Mr. Bamford.

Thanks for taking the time to be here and answer questions.

With regards to preparing for/coreographing stunts and fight scenes, etc., do you spent any time on set (either before/after it's being made)to get a feel for what you can/can't do in the space provided?
And does the set scenery limit what you can do, or does it provide you with more potential for action?

Cheers

2BAM
May 23rd, 2005, 12:39 PM
Hi Mr Bamford,

Firstly, I would just like to add my thanks to you for coming and giving us all this insight into the world of stunts..

I'm not sure this has been asked...but is there any way you could attend the Stargate Conventions - (esp. UK :) )?... It would be fascinating to have Stunt Demonstrations to visually see the setup and procedure.
Thanks, Kas
The event promotor has to invite me I think. I'm not sure how that is done, but it would be my pleasure to attend. I snuck into the Vancouver convention and had a look see. Fun stuff.

2BAM
May 23rd, 2005, 12:44 PM
At last! An ask (insert person's name associated with the show here) thread I can get interested in!
I know you've gotten a ton of this, but thanks for posting, it really is a treat. Did I mention you were my new favorite person? Probalby. Anyway. I assume there will be more sequences with stick fighting in the upcoming season. My question is, are they going to get it out of the training area? The majority of the cool stuff we've seen has all been in the training environment. Which I don't mind because the action doesn't stop in practice like it does in a fight, but I just wanna know if we're going to get to see Teyla actually kicking some butt instead of practicing?

btw, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. You wouldn't happen to have any use for a 22 year old martial artist with a 12 year kung fu background and experience with aikido, tai chi, arnis, kendo, iaido, and a little bit of wushu weapons would you? (shrug) Can't hurt to ask right?

"A martial artist does not become tense, but ready," Bruce Lee
LOL!! Of course I have use for such a martial artist. I actually have many already on my team with just such qualities. Thanx for asking though!! I would have to say that, yes, you will be seeing Teyla, and others out there in combat situations................yes.

2BAM
May 23rd, 2005, 12:47 PM
LOL!! Of course I have use for such a martial artist. I actually have many already on my team with just such qualities. Thanx for asking though!! I would have to say that, yes, you will be seeing Teyla, and others out there in combat situations................yes.
Very good question. The answer is yes, I spend alot of time surveying the location. The answer is also yes to the effect the location has on the choreography. You can't throw a jump spinning back kick in a phone both. I try to have ample time to rehearse in the location that we intend to shoot on both before the day of, and on the day of shooting. I try to look for certain qualities about the landscape that will enhance the action.

Kalliope
May 23rd, 2005, 12:48 PM
Hello Mr Bamford,

are we going to see in SG-1 season 9 any fight scenes involving Vala? How is it like to work with Claudia Black?

2BAM
May 23rd, 2005, 12:53 PM
Hello Mr Bamford,

are we going to see in SG-1 season 9 any fight scenes involving Vala? How is it like to work with Claudia Black?
There have been no lengthy fight scenes handed to me yet involving Claudia. She is a sweet woman for sure. We have done some initial training at the onset of the season, which she was gung-ho for, but nothing has been put in writing as yet. I can't predict what will happen with her character, sorry.

Major Tyler
May 23rd, 2005, 12:57 PM
To James or any of the mods:

Is this thread more informal than the other "ask" threads? If we just want to chat or leave comments for BamBam can we, or are we just supposed to ask questions and leave it at that?

(feel free to delete this if I'm violating a rule :o)

2BAM
May 23rd, 2005, 12:59 PM

Is this thread more informal than the other "ask" threads? If we just want to chat or leave comments for BamBam can we, or are we just supposed to ask questions and leave it at that?

Feel free to leave comments...............they are all welcome. No worries.

knocknashee
May 23rd, 2005, 01:26 PM
Hey BamBam...it's the naughty one who let the nickname out of the bag... :p

Do you enter fight tournaments, and have you ever won anything major? That's assuming you go in for the whole competitive thing...

*For the record, I'd love to go in for the competition, but I'm not allowed - because I actually have a couple of medical conditions, my sensei doesn't fancy the idea of full contact too much for that reason, and because I'd get disqualified from a semi-contact tournament in no time - for being overly heavy-handed. (Hey, why teach a girl to punch if you aren't gonna let her do it hard?! Though breaking your Sensei's nose probably isn't the slickest move going...especially when you were only on your second belt at the time... :D)
I was learning Kali for a while, in the hope that weaponary might teach me some discipline, but my teacher moved away, and finding a Kali class in the UK is like finding a needle in a haystack...:S (Would welcome any info from anyone about Kali classes iin the Midlands...or even a related art. I really enjoyed that style of combat.)

Wraith_Hunter
May 23rd, 2005, 02:53 PM
Hi Mr Bam,

Thanks for answering my last question. I kinda at first thought that maybe you only chose arts that you were trained or knowledgeable in due to your crosstraining. This way you could do it for yourself or you got some of your stunt guys to do the demos for the actors. I knew it had to be one of them.

So far we have see the Athosians (Mainly Teyla), Use the sticks when fighting the Wraith & Shep in training. Then in 'The Siege' it moved on to Knives with yourself. Due to the Wraith's abilities & power I would have thought larger bladed weapons would have been far more effective in a 1-on-1 direct confrontation with them. Is this something that is planned in S2 or 3 & just not had a chance to see yet. I know Teyla uses the P90 with the rest of the team. So it'd more likely be the other Athosians or other offworld firends of hers.

More likely what I think is that the Swords are too dangerous for the actors to be messing around with, an Escrima/Kali stick will hurt if accidentally hit with one, but a sharp sword will do a lot more accidental damage. So due to the strict timeframes that you all have to work to, then you & your team just don't have enough physical time to bring the actors up to speed on their use.

Thanks..

Saqqara
May 23rd, 2005, 03:15 PM
So, no one has asked just how many hours a day do you and your team practice. do the producers give you a schdule when you have to be on set or work with the actors, or do they like call you a day before and say they need something. {and yes saying a day before was an example, but it's been known to happen} :)

David
May 23rd, 2005, 03:30 PM

As long as everyone is curteous to BAMBAM and doesn't make personal requests, I don't see that as being a problem right now :)

roguephoenix
May 23rd, 2005, 05:10 PM
hi mr. bamford. so that was you on that atlantis scene on 'the siege'. at first glance i thought it was a preview scene from sg1 season 9 with ben browder, until i saw teyla. :P i guess they don't need to find a double for ben. he he. :D anyway, great fight sequence there. is rachel as skilled as she looks? it didn't look like anything was being pulled on that scene. every hit looked real.

Hex.FTB.enabled
May 23rd, 2005, 05:22 PM
You've given lots of info on various fighting techniques you spend time on(very cool by the way), but I was wondering, what's a typical day like in life of an Atlantis stunt coordinator? What's the routine of your job?

2BAM
May 24th, 2005, 01:12 AM
Hey BamBam...it's the naughty one who let the nickname out of the bag... :p

Do you enter fight tournaments, and have you ever won anything major? That's assuming you go in for the whole competitive thing...

*For the record, I'd love to go in for the competition, but I'm not allowed - because I actually have a couple of medical conditions, my sensei doesn't fancy the idea of full contact too much for that reason, and because I'd get disqualified from a semi-contact tournament in no time - for being overly heavy-handed. (Hey, why teach a girl to punch if you aren't gonna let her do it hard?! Though breaking your Sensei's nose probably isn't the slickest move going...especially when you were only on your second belt at the time... :D)
I was learning Kali for a while, in the hope that weaponary might teach me some discipline, but my teacher moved away, and finding a Kali class in the UK is like finding a needle in a haystack...:S (Would welcome any info from anyone about Kali classes iin the Midlands...or even a related art. I really enjoyed that style of combat.)
The answer is yes, I have fought in both point tournaments, and full-contact kickboxing. I have only won "am" bouts, nothing pro. I did receive the bronze medal in the 1991 World Police and Fire Games, in Memphis. I was on Team Canada for the Karate-Kumite division. I don't know of any Kali masters in the UK at this time but I bet there is plenty of info on the net.

2BAM
May 24th, 2005, 01:16 AM
Hi Mr Bam,

Thanks for answering my last question. I kinda at first thought that maybe you only chose arts that you were trained or knowledgeable in due to your crosstraining. This way you could do it for yourself or you got some of your stunt guys to do the demos for the actors. I knew it had to be one of them.

So far we have see the Athosians (Mainly Teyla), Use the sticks when fighting the Wraith & Shep in training. Then in 'The Siege' it moved on to Knives with yourself. Due to the Wraith's abilities & power I would have thought larger bladed weapons would have been far more effective in a 1-on-1 direct confrontation with them. Is this something that is planned in S2 or 3 & just not had a chance to see yet. I know Teyla uses the P90 with the rest of the team. So it'd more likely be the other Athosians or other offworld firends of hers.

More likely what I think is that the Swords are too dangerous for the actors to be messing around with, an Escrima/Kali stick will hurt if accidentally hit with one, but a sharp sword will do a lot more accidental damage. So due to the strict timeframes that you all have to work to, then you & your team just don't have enough physical time to bring the actors up to speed on their use.

Thanks..
The sticks directly translate into the use of swords, or any bladed weapon. If it was written, we would be using swords..................I have faith in my actors on this show. No worries here regarding safety.

2BAM
May 24th, 2005, 01:19 AM
So, no one has asked just how many hours a day do you and your team practice. do the producers give you a schdule when you have to be on set or work with the actors, or do they like call you a day before and say they need something. {and yes saying a day before was an example, but it's been known to happen} :)
When it is time to rehearse a fight sequence, I check everyone's schedule. The actors, the stunt people.....etc. Then I arrange the rehearsal time based on the best available time for everyone involved. For a standard fight sequence on SGA, you are looking at a four hour rehearsal time for everybody. For a longer one, and eight hour.

2BAM
May 24th, 2005, 01:22 AM
hi mr. bamford. so that was you on that atlantis scene on 'the siege'. at first glance i thought it was a preview scene from sg1 season 9 with ben browder, until i saw teyla. :P i guess they don't need to find a double for ben. he he. :D anyway, great fight sequence there. is rachel as skilled as she looks? it didn't look like anything was being pulled on that scene. every hit looked real.
We went at it pretty hard..............this is just because we trust each other. Yes she is that good. We work together more than anyone so when I fight with her, I push her harder than my stunt guys do. She steps up to the plate everytime! And you are correct in assuming the Ben Brouder thing. When he does require a double, which he does not, it is me.

2BAM
May 24th, 2005, 01:25 AM
You've given lots of info on various fighting techniques you spend time on(very cool by the way), but I was wondering, what's a typical day like in life of an Atlantis stunt coordinator? What's the routine of your job?
Everyday varies. Some days are all about prep, paperwork, meetings, editing. Other days are up early, rigging wires, flying monsters, shooting fights. Some days are a combination of all of those plus a possible rehearsal. I usually end the day in the gym, sparring with one or more of my guys from about 730 to 1030. We will train different ways....................stand up Muay Thai..................Submission........whatever. Oh ya, and once in awhile I eat and sleep too. ;)

Ephemetheus
May 24th, 2005, 04:36 AM
Since both SGA and SG-1 deal, mainly, with completly alien societies, have there been any scenes where you were able to create a truely original fighting style.

roguephoenix
May 24th, 2005, 02:15 PM
And you are correct in assuming the Ben Brouder thing. When he does require a double, which he does not, it is me.

cool. yea, i thought you looked more like him. you looked really different in that "the siege" scene than you do at the stuntcanada.com site. how long ago was that photo taken? also, did you ever film any scenes for the xmen 2 film? on the rumors sites years ago, you were named as being gambit. they had that picture i was talking about posted. that's why when i saw it i was like, "hey it's gambit that was cut from the film (supposedly)." was any of that true?

2BAM
May 24th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Since both SGA and SG-1 deal, mainly, with completly alien societies, have there been any scenes where you were able to create a truely original fighting style.
As you probably already know, everything has been done. Everything, in one country or another. I put my own twist on things usually, but everything has been done. That said, you will see some new and interesting things in Season 2 of Atlantis and 9 of SG1.

2BAM
May 25th, 2005, 12:03 AM
cool. yea, i thought you looked more like him. you looked really different in that "the siege" scene than you do at the stuntcanada.com site. how long ago was that photo taken? also, did you ever film any scenes for the xmen 2 film? on the rumors sites years ago, you were named as being gambit. they had that picture i was talking about posted. that's why when i saw it i was like, "hey it's gambit that was cut from the film (supposedly)." was any of that true?
Correct. First, my headshot was taken about a year ago. With different hair and facial hair. Second, yes I was Gambit in X2. The scene was shot, and was about 18 seconds long, but did not make it in the movie. Many scenes were cut in that film. I think that you only saw my profile though. They will probably have Gambit in X3. I very much doubt it will be me, as I am not a box office draw.

bobjim
May 25th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Hi Mr. Bamford

I have another question. :)

Obviously you determine the workings of stunts and fightscenes, but do you have any say as to how it finally ends up on screen, with regards to editing/cutting, etc?

Thanks again

2BAM
May 25th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Hi Mr. Bamford

I have another question. :)

Obviously you determine the workings of stunts and fightscenes, but do you have any say as to how it finally ends up on screen, with regards to editing/cutting, etc?

Thanks again
Yes. As that is part of the stunt design process. As far as I know, all stunt coordinators don't, but they can make suggestions to the director and such. Mostly I get involved in the editing when then fight scene is very intricate and complicated. I will shoot my rehearsal footage, with stunt doubles, and edit it myself for a guide. I burn this onto a dvd and give it to the editor, as well as sit in on the editing myself sometimes. The director sees that cut, and does his version, it may stay the same. Then the producers see the cut, and do their version, and that is what you end up seeing on the television.

jckfan55
May 25th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Mr. Bam--Thanks for answering our questions and the fight scenes are always well done. They don't look fake, if you know what I mean. I'm wondering if we'll see any good fight scenes with Carter in Season 9. I've heard Amanda Tapping likes to do many of her own stunts. Any idea if that will change now that she's a mom?

roguephoenix
May 25th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Correct. First, my headshot was taken about a year ago. With different hair and facial hair. Second, yes I was Gambit in X2. The scene was shot, and was about 18 seconds long, but did not make it in the movie. Many scenes were cut in that film. I think that you only saw my profile though. They will probably have Gambit in X3. I very much doubt it will be me, as I am not a box office draw.

yea, you look so much different. keep the current look. :)

as far the x-men, well, i don't think gambit will be making it in on to the next film. yea, they tend to do a lot of recasting. if he does make it into the film they'll probably look for someone 'teen' looking to go with anna paquin. did you do any stunt coordinating on that movie?

as far as the next season of atlantis, which episode are you working on now? also, when will you make another appearance on either sg-1 or atlantis?

2BAM
May 26th, 2005, 01:57 AM
Mr. Bam--Thanks for answering our questions and the fight scenes are always well done. They don't look fake, if you know what I mean. I'm wondering if we'll see any good fight scenes with Carter in Season 9. I've heard Amanda Tapping likes to do many of her own stunts. Any idea if that will change now that she's a mom?
I have not been involved in anything with Amanda as yet. I can't speak on her character. I don't even think she is a fighter, that is, a hand to hand fighter, per say.

2BAM
May 26th, 2005, 02:00 AM
yea, you look so much different. keep the current look. :)

as far the x-men, well, i don't think gambit will be making it in on to the next film. yea, they tend to do a lot of recasting. if he does make it into the film they'll probably look for someone 'teen' looking to go with anna paquin. did you do any stunt coordinating on that movie?

as far as the next season of atlantis, which episode are you working on now? also, when will you make another appearance on either sg-1 or atlantis?
Only one question per entry. No coordinating on X-men for me. Just today I wrapped up shooting on the episode "CONVERSION", directed by Brad Turner. I have no idea regarding any more appearances of my face on the show. I hope so. You will have to ask Joe M. or Martin G.

jckfan55
May 26th, 2005, 09:54 AM
I have not been involved in anything with Amanda as yet. I can't speak on her character. I don't even think she is a fighter, that is, a hand to hand fighter, per say.
Thanks for answering my question. She's had a few hand to hand scenes in past seasons, not a lot. Hope you get to work with her.

2BAM
May 26th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Thanks for answering my question. She's had a few hand to hand scenes in past seasons, not a lot. Hope you get to work with her.
I'm sure that I will. Thanx for the interest in the show!! :D

Saqqara
May 26th, 2005, 11:54 AM
You look really in shape, how many many hours a day do you spend with working out, and doing your personal training, I've noticed you work a lot.
I'm lucky some days to find time to get an hour on the treadmill, I can't imagine how you find time :)

David
May 26th, 2005, 12:36 PM
I will shoot my rehearsal footage, with stunt doubles, and edit it myself for a guide. I burn this onto a dvd and give it to the editor, as well as sit in on the editing myself sometimes. The director sees that cut, and does his version, it may stay the same. Then the producers see the cut, and do their version, and that is what you end up seeing on the television.
So what we saw in the conference room was your rough cut for Runner that was going to go to the editor?

J_B
May 26th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Hi, Bam.

I know you're only currently around half way through the season right now.

Most of the combat will be by personal weapons like the P90. However Do you have a rough idea what'll be the main style of MA's that we'll get to see the most off this year or will it be varied.

Thanks..

ShardsofGlass
May 26th, 2005, 07:10 PM
I'm finding this discussion fascinating. Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

Are you the one in the knight's costume in the fight with Mitchell in the first eps of Stargate?

Paul Lazenby
May 26th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Bam Bam told me about this board, and the first thing I want to say is that it's nice to visit a troll-free zone for once! Everyone is so polite here, it's a nice break from some other boards I could mention.

Thanks to 2BAM for putting my name out there. Rest assured that the flying armbar I did with Rainbow was almost all him. Rainbow really committed himself to making that move look cool, and didn't even care that he had only a concrete floor to land on. I walked away from work that day with a good deal of respect for Mr. Fuchs.

And don't let Bam Bam be overly modest here, folks. The guy is a virtual encyclopedia of fighting techniques--not to mention that he has a better kickboxing record than me, and I'm the damn Canadian champ! He has been an invaluable training partner whose ridiculous displays of ring skill have helped me to prepare for several of my fights. Along with my trainer Chris Franco, Bam Bam is a big reason why I keep winning.

Groundfighting is a very new thing to him, but I have never seen anyone pick up on it more quickly. Judging by the rate of his progress, he will be a legitimate threat on the ground in no time. I've always bugged him to include more grappling in his fight scenes (to which he responded by using a rolling crucifix neck crank on "Jeremiah"), and I suspect that as he amasses more knowledge in submissions, you may see more ground action in coming episodes.

I consider myself lucky to be able to work with someone so skilled, and so passionate about the business.

Lord You
May 26th, 2005, 11:59 PM
I have not been involved in anything with Amanda as yet. I can't speak on her character. I don't even think she is a fighter, that is, a hand to hand fighter, per say. Au contraire! In the silly season one episode, Emancipation (http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s1/103.shtml), she described herself as being proficient in "level three, advanced" hand-to-hand combat training. Captain Carter defeated the leader of a tribal clan in a (not quite mortal) knife fight so women would get more rights on that planet. Ford's style reminds me a little bit of her personality as a soldier in the first episodes.

It seems strange now, but Carter had a much more aggressive personality nine years ago. She has pulled out of a simulated bombing run in an F-16 at 8-plus G's; logged over a hundred hours in enemy airspace during the Gulf War; and challenged O'Neill to arm wrestling. And don't forget that infamous line from the pilot, "just because my reproductive organs are on the inside instead of the outside, doesn't mean I can't handle whatever you can handle." Carter's badass!

2BAM
May 27th, 2005, 01:28 AM
You look really in shape, how many many hours a day do you spend with working out, and doing your personal training, I've noticed you work a lot.
I'm lucky some days to find time to get an hour on the treadmill, I can't imagine how you find time :)
I'm not a personal trainer, but I do teach martial arts to actors. I try to train myself at least, 4 days a week. If I can, I get to the gym at about 730 pm, after work, and leave at about 1030 pm.

2BAM
May 27th, 2005, 01:37 AM
So what we saw in the conference room was your rough cut for Runner that was going to go to the editor?
Yes, the editor took it and modeled the scene from that. That was my rehearsal footage, edited, of course. The director did not shoot it exactly the way that I did, because of time, and his own creative plan for it. I am very happy with the end result, and applaud all parties involved. Of course, none of the fans out there know what I am talking about, and will have to wait until the airdate, but I hope that I answered your question David. The director was Martin Wood, by the way. One of my favorites. :D

2BAM
May 27th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Hi, Bam.

I know you're only currently around half way through the season right now.

Most of the combat will be by personal weapons like the P90. However Do you have a rough idea what'll be the main style of MA's that we'll get to see the most off this year or will it be varied.

Thanks..
Yes I do have an idea, but I don't know which show you are talking about. or which character's style. :S

2BAM
May 27th, 2005, 01:41 AM
I'm finding this discussion fascinating. Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

Are you the one in the knight's costume in the fight with Mitchell in the first eps of Stargate?
Costume? What Costume? Knight? What are you referring to?

2BAM
May 27th, 2005, 01:45 AM
Bam Bam told me about this board, and the first thing I want to say is that it's nice to visit a troll-free zone for once! Everyone is so polite here, it's a nice break from some other boards I could mention.

Thanks to 2BAM for putting my name out there. Rest assured that the flying armbar I did with Rainbow was almost all him. Rainbow really committed himself to making that move look cool, and didn't even care that he had only a concrete floor to land on. I walked away from work that day with a good deal of respect for Mr. Fuchs.

And don't let Bam Bam be overly modest here, folks. The guy is a virtual encyclopedia of fighting techniques--not to mention that he has a better kickboxing record than me, and I'm the damn Canadian champ! He has been an invaluable training partner whose ridiculous displays of ring skill have helped me to prepare for several of my fights. Along with my trainer Chris Franco, Bam Bam is a big reason why I keep winning.

Groundfighting is a very new thing to him, but I have never seen anyone pick up on it more quickly. Judging by the rate of his progress, he will be a legitimate threat on the ground in no time. I've always bugged him to include more grappling in his fight scenes (to which he responded by using a rolling crucifix neck crank on "Jeremiah"), and I suspect that as he amasses more knowledge in submissions, you may see more ground action in coming episodes.

I consider myself lucky to be able to work with someone so skilled, and so passionate about the business.
:o Thanx Paul............................That was a bigger speech then when you took the mike after your last fight!! LOL! No really, thanx for the kind words, and for not tearing my shoulder out at the gym tonight. ;)

2BAM
May 27th, 2005, 01:48 AM
:eek: Uh...............................ok. Badass she is then. Like I said before, I have never been around to see her character fight.
Au contraire! In the silly season one episode, Emancipation (http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s1/103.shtml), she described herself as being proficient in "level three, advanced" hand-to-hand combat training. Captain Carter defeated the leader of a tribal clan in a (not quite mortal) knife fight so women would get more rights on that planet. Ford's style reminds me a little bit of her personality as a soldier in the first episodes.

It seems strange now, but Carter had a much more aggressive personality nine years ago. She has pulled out of a simulated bombing run in an F-16 at 8-plus G's; logged over a hundred hours in enemy airspace during the Gulf War; and challenged O'Neill to arm wrestling. And don't forget that infamous line from the pilot, "just because my reproductive organs are on the inside instead of the outside, doesn't mean I can't handle whatever you can handle." Carter's badass!

Kliggins
May 27th, 2005, 01:52 AM
I have a really stupid question; you do sleep, right? I know why I am awake, I am at work. I see you in here at 2:00 a.m. and then again early in the morning. I would love to know your secret. Thanks. :D

2BAM
May 27th, 2005, 02:04 AM
I have a really stupid question; you do sleep, right? I know why I am awake, I am at work. I see you in here at 2:00 a.m. and then again early in the morning. I would love to know your secret. Thanks. :DYes............eventually I sleep. It takes me quite awhile to sleep after getting back from the gym at night. I don't wind down that easy, especially if there are fight scenes I have to think about. Check out the earlier entries on this thread regarding the dreams choreography. I can't sleep until that stuff gets out of my head. :rolleyes: In addition, I made a commitment to answer the questions presented to me on this thread, so...........I don't even try to sleep until I have answered everybody. :)

SaharaGate
May 27th, 2005, 02:18 AM
Hi Bam Bam

I basically just wanted to say thank for coming here to post! I really think you've brought a harder, more realistic edge to the fighting on Atlantis (not that I know much about martial arts...that's my brother's department) that was missing on SG for quite some time (not that the Jaffa aren't bad-ass).

Personally, I wanna see Teyla try to teach Rodney a thing or two with her sticks ;). Or better yet, Shep.
I bet McKay would pick up quicker than either of them expects ;).

Hope to see you make an appearance on-screen again too..that was nice work (though I hear there was an accident or something?).

Merentha
May 27th, 2005, 02:27 AM
BamBam- Funny... I had no idea before reading this that you worked on Jeremiah, but I was watching an episode today and the fight scenes made me think of some of your work on Atlantis! (I'm not sure if I saw that particular move since I don't know much about fighting..)

ShardsofGlass
May 27th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Costume? What Costume? Knight? What are you referring to?

In the first or second episode of SG-1, you had mentioned a big fight with Ben Browder that took 12 hours to film and 6 hours to rehearse, or something like that. And that the fight involved broadswords. There's a picture that was released showing Mitchell holding a sword and facing a knight in a complete set of armor, also holding a sword. I assumed that Mitchell and the knight had the fight, and I wondered if it was you under all that armor.

Saqqara
May 27th, 2005, 06:12 AM
I'm not a personal trainer, but I do teach martial arts to actors. I try to train myself at least, 4 days a week. If I can, I get to the gym at about 730 pm, after work, and leave at about 1030 pm.

OMG I remember the days when I worked out at night. I now try to get to the gym at around 8am until like noon, there is no one around at that time. Around here the gyms are packed after 3pm, No wonder we see your posts at like 2-3 am LOL You know this is california where the motto could be, "Body by nautilus, brain by mattel" LOL
and of course Welcome to Paul, hope you enjoy Gate World :)

I have another question, I was glancing over the Canada Stunt site on your resume and saw listed Repelling and it says Repelling and Aussie Repelling, what is the differance between regular repelling and aussie repelling?

Droops
May 27th, 2005, 06:46 AM

Nice to see you Mr. Lazenby, and hope you'll keep up with us and join us from time to time.

knocknashee
May 27th, 2005, 08:40 AM

Mr Fuchs eh? Dare I ask either of you what that's all about??? :p

Nice to see you here Paul...

Oh and BamBam...remember this comment???

I don't know of any Kali masters in the UK at this time but I bet there is plenty of info on the net.

You'll be pleased to know, I did eventually find one...:)

jckfan55
May 27th, 2005, 01:05 PM
:eek: Uh...............................ok. Badass she is then. Like I said before, I have never been around to see her character fight.
Don't sweat it. We just love our "action Sam" and hope to see more of her in that mode. :)

Paul Lazenby
May 27th, 2005, 02:14 PM
[color=indigo]Mr Fuchs eh? Dare I ask either of you what that's all about??? :p

OOOOPS...that's what I get for posting late at night after a brutal training session! My apologies to Mr. Rainbow FRANCKS, and no disrespect intended!

Thanks for the warm welcome, folks.

Paul

2BAM
May 27th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Hi Bam Bam

I basically just wanted to say thank for coming here to post! I really think you've brought a harder, more realistic edge to the fighting on Atlantis (not that I know much about martial arts...that's my brother's department) that was missing on SG for quite some time (not that the Jaffa aren't bad-ass).

Personally, I wanna see Teyla try to teach Rodney a thing or two with her sticks ;). Or better yet, Shep.
I bet McKay would pick up quicker than either of them expects ;).

Hope to see you make an appearance on-screen again too..that was nice work (though I hear there was an accident or something?).I, myself would love to see Rodney try some training with Teyla. I would quite enjoy that. David has been fantastic when it comes to being involved with stunts last, and this season. :)

2BAM
May 27th, 2005, 02:30 PM
In the first or second episode of SG-1, you had mentioned a big fight with Ben Browder that took 12 hours to film and 6 hours to rehearse, or something like that. And that the fight involved broadswords. There's a picture that was released showing Mitchell holding a sword and facing a knight in a complete set of armor, also holding a sword. I assumed that Mitchell and the knight had the fight, and I wondered if it was you under all that armor.The answer is, no. I have not appeared on any episode this season of SG1. That photo is not me. ;)

2BAM
May 27th, 2005, 02:34 PM
OMG I remember the days when I worked out at night. I now try to get to the gym at around 8am until like noon, there is no one around at that time. Around here the gyms are packed after 3pm, No wonder we see your posts at like 2-3 am LOL You know this is california where the motto could be, "Body by nautilus, brain by mattel" LOL
and of course Welcome to Paul, hope you enjoy Gate World :)

I have another question, I was glancing over the Canada Stunt site on your resume and saw listed Repelling and it says Repelling and Aussie Repelling, what is the differance between regular repelling and aussie repelling?Good question. Regular is back to the ground. Aussie is face/stomach facing the ground. ;)

2BAM
May 27th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Mr Fuchs eh? Dare I ask either of you what that's all about??? :p

Oh and BamBam...remember this comment???

You'll be pleased to know, I did eventually find one...:)I think Paul meant to say Francks. Good for you for finding a place to train. :D

2BAM
May 27th, 2005, 02:38 PM
OOOOPS...that's what I get for posting late at night after a brutal training session! My apologies to Mr. Rainbow FRANCKS, and no disrespect intended!

PaulYou will have to excuse Paul, he has been hit in the head alot!! LOL!! Look for Paul in Season 2...........see if you can spot him!:D :p

Lida
May 27th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Hi BAMBAM! Just a quick question. Will you be working with Jason Mamoa this season? I saw some clips of his new character on SGA, and he seemed to be an "action-type" guy. Will he be involved in any martial arts type of attacks/movements?

Thanks, sorry this isn't very well written, but my knowledge of the martial arts is relatively small. I'm just learning. ;)

Lord You
May 27th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Yes, the editor took it and modeled the scene from that. That was my rehearsal footage, edited, of course. The director did not shoot it exactly the way that I did, because of time, and his own creative plan for it. I am very happy with the end result, and applaud all parties involved. Of course, none of the fans out there know what I am talking about, and will have to wait until the airdate, but I hope that I answered your question David. The director was Martin Wood, by the way. One of my favorites. :D
You should get the directors and producers together and bundle the three versions as an extra for the DVD sets!

Saqqara
May 27th, 2005, 03:25 PM
OMG Paul I just finally got to watch White Chicks last night that was TOO funny, good job BTW :)
Of course anything by the Wayans Bros is just too funny.

Thank You Bam...Errrr James {sorry can't bring myself to call you Bam Bam too many images ROTFL} For answering that it was kinda bugging me wondering the differance. I think, after bungee jumping both ways I would prefer the regular way, not sure I'd wanna see it coming LOL

Paul Lazenby
May 27th, 2005, 04:28 PM
You will have to excuse Paul, he has been hit in the head alot!! LOL!! Look for Paul in Season 2...........see if you can spot him!:D :p
You'd BETTER cut me some slack--as often as not it's been you doing the hitting!

Paul Lazenby
May 27th, 2005, 04:30 PM
OMG Paul I just finally got to watch White Chicks last night that was TOO funny, good job BTW :)
Of course anything by the Wayans Bros is just too funny.
Thank you, Saqqara--did you notice Bam Bam in the same scene? He has a lot more screen time than I do, so he shouldn't be difficult to spot!

ShadowMaat
May 27th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Are you at liberty to discuss more about Dex's fighting style? Will it be primarily hand-to-hand or will he favor a weapon of some kind? Or both? :) Actually, any hints you could drop about Dex (other than the fact that we'll love him :P) would be greatly appreciated! The Dex Discussion thread is woefully lacking in concrete info... http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/sad/frown.gif *sniffle*

Saqqara
May 27th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Oh Paul are you serious, how could I miss that guy *giggles* I guess I'll have to watch it again. You know being blonde I get side tracked very easy LOL
I didn't find White Chicks listed in his credits...maybe he was in drag? LOL

Seriously I will have to watch the movie again see if I can see both of you it was the first time watching the movie and I usually pay more attention to the writing/dialouge the first time the 2nd I actually watch the movie :D

Paul Lazenby
May 28th, 2005, 03:32 AM
Oh Paul are you serious, how could I miss that guy *giggles* I guess I'll have to watch it again. You know being blonde I get side tracked very easy LOL
I didn't find White Chicks listed in his credits...maybe he was in drag? LOL

Seriously I will have to watch the movie again see if I can see both of you it was the first time watching the movie and I usually pay more attention to the writing/dialouge the first time the 2nd I actually watch the movie :D
It's okay, hon--you get a pass on this one. With my overwhelming onscreen magnetism, I do tend to draw attention away from the other actors.
(Am I making you sick yet?)
Seriously, Bam Bam is one of the legitimate ice cream delivery guys who the Wayans brothers beat up before I walk through the door with the other real criminals.

Kliggins
May 28th, 2005, 03:41 AM
Sorry, I have no question, but I love it that you guys are in here at 3:30 in the morning answering questions. Thanks. :D

Saqqara
May 28th, 2005, 05:54 AM
Ah well then I'll definatly have to watch it again and pay close attention. Yeah *agrees with Kliggins* I'm begining wonder when you guys sleep ;)

knocknashee
May 28th, 2005, 09:32 AM

Paul

LOL...I thought it might have been some rude nickname... :D

So, Paul, are we gonna be seeing you on SGA again??? And what else are you working on atm..?

Paul Lazenby
May 28th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Sleep? Isn't that the thing where you lay down with your eyes closed and stop moving for a while? I think I've heard of it... :)

I don't know if/when I'll be on SGA again. I worked on an episode last week--Bam Bam would be a better guy to ask about when it airs. He's always been more than generous about sending work my way when he can, so hopefully another opportunity will come up at some time in the future.

Last night I did some behind-the-scenes work on the remake of John Carpenter's "The Fog". The lion's share of my work over the past couple of months has actually come from Electronic Arts, where I've been doing motion capture on games like "James Bond: From Russia With Love", "LOTR: The Battle for Middle Earth", and "The Godfather". There are some shows coming to Vancouver in the coming weeks that I am hoping to work on, but I don't want to jinx anything by mentioning them just yet.

knocknashee
May 28th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Sleep? Isn't that the thing where you lay down with your eyes closed and stop moving for a while? I think I've heard of it... :)

I don't know if/when I'll be on SGA again. I worked on an episode last week--Bam Bam would be a better guy to ask about when it airs. He's always been more than generous about sending work my way when he can, so hopefully another opportunity will come up at some time in the future.

Hahahahahah! :p I was going to make some passing comment about beds, then realised that I should probably get my mind out of the gutter... :D Seriously though, if you ever see a question from me and it's asked at about 2am GMT, ignore it, cos it's bound to be crap...if it even makes sense! :o

Nice to see that there are people who are tight in the industry - a lot of people are out for themselves I've noticed. I never cease to be amazed by the family vibe that there seems to be on Stargate. But then my dealings in the entertainment industry were mainly with musicians...:rolleyes: - say no more... :P

Hope to see you on our screens again sometime...and BamBam too...;)

knocknashee
May 28th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Last night I did some behind-the-scenes work on the remake of John Carpenter's "The Fog". The lion's share of my work over the past couple of months has actually come from Electronic Arts, where I've been doing motion capture on games like "James Bond: From Russia With Love", "LOTR: The Battle for Middle Earth", and "The Godfather". There are some shows coming to Vancouver in the coming weeks that I am hoping to work on, but I don't want to jinx anything by mentioning them just yet.

Didn't know they were remaking that...should probably get out from GW more!

I once did some work on some music for Codemasters in the UK, as I knew someone involved with all that. Computer game work is quite interesting - it's great to see something come together from the ground up. I'm not one for playing them really though. Martial Arts, Stargate and this place are about the only thing that can keep my attention - anything else and I have the attention span of a goldfish, which is so not good for producing music, nor for working in CAD either! :P

Good luck with the jobs, hope that all works out for you. When it undoubtably does, let us know what it was so we can keep our eye out for ya! ;)

Paul Lazenby
May 28th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Nice to see that there are people who are tight in the industry - a lot of people are out for themselves I've noticed.
Yeah, in spite of the cutthroats whom you inevitably find in any profession, I've met some really good people in this one, and Bam Bam's at the top of the list. Without him going WELL out of his way for me on more occasions than I can count, I wouldn't be working in this industry at all.

knocknashee
May 28th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Yeah, in spite of the cutthroats whom you inevitably find in any profession, I've met some really good people in this one, and Bam Bam's at the top of the list. Without him going WELL out of his way for me on more occasions than I can count, I wouldn't be working in this industry at all.

Best be careful here...might turn Bam's cheeks permanently red, and swell the size of his head... :p

(Just kidding James! :D)

Saqqara
May 28th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Ah yeah Paul that's the down side of "the business" I have no burning desire to get back in front of the camera anytime soon even tho I'm offered work I'm happy writing and writing what I want for a change so :D :D

You two are like so totally cool, and the one time I met James he was such a sweetie, and not at all hard on the eyes, I love watching you stunt guys work ;) You make it look soooooo easy :eek:

Legend
May 28th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Hey Mr. Bamford

I hope you don't mind answering this question but having heard all the good times and fun you have working on Stargate. What was the worst/scariest stunt that went wrong for you (one you were in yourslf or one you were coordinating) in relation to Stargate or if by some miracle of god, nothing has ever gone wrong, maybe a stunt that went bad in your career.

Thanks, Keep up the good work!

Saqqara
May 28th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Just thought I'd leave Paul a note saying awesome wire work in Chronicals of Riddick, I have yet to see the entire movie but from what I could see it was awesome.

Skipped across White Chicks again today, missed yours and James' part yet again..LOL can anyone say TVio LOL

Paul Lazenby
May 28th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Just thought I'd leave Paul a note saying awesome wire work in Chronicals of Riddick, I have yet to see the entire movie but from what I could see it was awesome.

Skipped across White Chicks again today, missed yours and James' part yet again..LOL can anyone say TVio LOL
Thanks very much, hon--but most of the credit has to go to the rigging team, who worked their tails off to make the wire gags look good, and to Dean Choe and Bob Brown for coordinating it all. Not to mention the performers including, of course, the ubiquitous Bam Bam, who was up in the air almost every day on one wire or another!

As for White Chicks, our scene is easy to find--it's the first one in the movie.

Saqqara
May 28th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Ah no wonder I keep missing it, I keep missing the first half of the movie LOL
Like tonight I just watched the first maybe 30 mins of Riddick, I'm a multi-tasker ya gotta keep me interested or I start flipping ;)
But guys it was awesome, I'm always in awe of you all when I'm on a set working I'll just stop and watch.
I've only gotten to do one stunt in my time, when I was on 18 Wheels of Justice, twisted my ankle falling when the car blew up :)

Paul Lazenby
May 28th, 2005, 07:31 PM
I've only gotten to do one stunt in my time, when I was on 18 Wheels of Justice, twisted my ankle falling when the car blew up :)
This is a long shot, but that wouldn't happen to have been the episode that Bas Rutten and Rob Van Dam were on, would it?

Saqqara
May 28th, 2005, 07:32 PM
It might have been, an airport scene. I'm so naughty at getting show info, I just show up and do what the director tells me :D

Rob sounds familiar but couldn't be sure, I was on so many of those epis

Paul Lazenby
May 28th, 2005, 07:42 PM
It might have been, an airport scene. I'm so naughty at getting show info, I just show up and do what the director tells me :D

Rob sounds familiar but couldn't be sure, I was on so many of those epis
You wouldn't have forgotten Bas--he's a bald, two hundred pound Ultimate Fighting world champion who has charisma leaking out his ears.

Saqqara
May 28th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Oh no no hun but I was in one with Rob, along with what's his name, long blonde hair, wrestler..I was a "ring/card girl" in that one....won't go into detail there ;)
don't recall Bas, would have to see his face, but I'm sure I wounldn't forget him. Most of my work usually involved being a body double for shower scenes or wearing of the thong/bikini top ROTFL but hey it's a pay check ;)

Stu Segal is T&A

Saqqara
May 29th, 2005, 05:44 PM
I know I have another question for James.

What is the most dangerous stunt you have had to do and why was it dangerous?

2BAM
May 29th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Hi BAMBAM! Just a quick question. Will you be working with Jason Mamoa this season? I saw some clips of his new character on SGA, and he seemed to be an "action-type" guy. Will he be involved in any martial arts type of attacks/movements?

Thanks, sorry this isn't very well written, but my knowledge of the martial arts is relatively small. I'm just learning. ;)
If you like action, you will be seeing some very exciting things from Jason's character.

2BAM
May 29th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Are you at liberty to discuss more about Dex's fighting style? Will it be primarily hand-to-hand or will he favor a weapon of some kind? Or both? :) Actually, any hints you could drop about Dex (other than the fact that we'll love him :P) would be greatly appreciated! The Dex Discussion thread is woefully lacking in concrete info... http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/sad/frown.gif *sniffle*Hmmmm....................let me see................he's very tall. ;)

Saqqara
May 29th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Oh I have another question, at the risk of hogging you ;)

If I were to make an action movie in the near future and there was at least 2 fight scenes what kind of "fight" would be easier/faster to choreagraph and easier for the actors to perform?

2BAM
May 29th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Hey Mr. Bamford

I hope you don't mind answering this question but having heard all the good times and fun you have working on Stargate. What was the worst/scariest stunt that went wrong for you (one you were in yourslf or one you were coordinating) in relation to Stargate or if by some miracle of god, nothing has ever gone wrong, maybe a stunt that went bad in your career.

Thanks, Keep up the good work!Everything on Stargate has always gone smoothly. Aside from that, I have gotten away from having many horrible things happen to me, with minor injuries. I must say that probably the worst injury I have had was a bruised lung from a very hard 10 foot fall(minor stunt), and/or a torn tricep muscle from wire-work rehearsal on X-MEN 2. I have escaped (knock on wood) so many bad things that could have gone wrong, but didn't. The larger stunts, highfalls,burns, carhits.....etc. will kill you or give you permanent damage if they go wrong so.......................they have all worked out for me. So the moral of this story is............I would sit here and talk your head off about it, but there is just not one single instance I can put my finger on. I was present when an on set explosion went very wrong on a show. This was not Stargate SGA or SG1. There was not a single person in the shot, just an explosion. The on set stunt coordinator at the time was hit in the back of the head by a flying battery.He was standing about 160 feet away from the explosion. Two days later, after much thought by the family, he was taken off life support. During the explosion, I was standing not ten feet from this person. It could have been me. I took the ambulance ride with him to the helicopter, the helicopter took him to the hospital as we were in an isolated area. This was a good friend of mine. I don't mind sharing the story because many people learned many valuable lessons from it. Everyday since I try to live my life knowing how short it could have been.

2BAM
May 29th, 2005, 08:24 PM
I know I have another question for James.

What is the most dangerous stunt you have had to do and why was it dangerous?
There are too many different levels of danger to sift to get to the bottom of that question. I get asked it alot, and can never answer it in an absolute. Usually the smallest stunts, when overlooked, cause the worst injury or issue. Most guys are paying full attention to the larger scale stunts, me included, because if they go wrong, you don't wake up. ;)

2BAM
May 29th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Oh I have another question, at the risk of hogging you ;)

If I were to make an action movie in the near future and there was at least 2 fight scenes what kind of "fight" would be easier/faster to choreagraph and easier for the actors to perform?An old school western bar fight, of course. Where the punches can be seen coming from at least ten miles away, and there is no shortage of tables to break.......................or bottles!! ;)

Saqqara
May 29th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Oh cool thank you hun b/c the fight takes place in a strip club Hmmmmm guess I can do tables and glasses and big, burley guys ;)
thank you loads luv because I was a bit stuck on just how to write it LOL

2BAM
May 29th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Oh cool thank you hun b/c the fight takes place in a strip club Hmmmmm guess I can do tables and glasses and big, burley guys ;)
thank you loads luv because I was a bit stuck on just how to write it LOLI really depends on the genre of film. If it's a biker bar, or whatever..........you know? Bar fights are always fun to be in and to choreograph because they can be messy and don't have to be technically correct as far as style...etc. unless the movie is a martial arts film itself. :D

Saqqara
May 29th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Well, I might let my cop character know some martial arts just to see it on screen. I mean he's a guy who wears the long black leather coat and tight black jeans and boots so....as long as the director gets the John Woo shot of him I think I'll be happy LOL Now I just have to work in the John Woo shot ;)

Saqqara
May 30th, 2005, 02:30 PM
I'm not sure you guys get Fear Factor up in Vancouver, but if you've seen it, as a Stuntman/Coordinator what is your take on some of the stupid things they have people do, sometimes it looks like they are trying to make a real time "Running Man" and won't be satisfied in these "Reality Shows" until someone dies.

2BAM
May 30th, 2005, 03:30 PM
I'm not sure you guys get Fear Factor up in Vancouver, but if you've seen it, as a Stuntman/Coordinator what is your take on some of the stupid things they have people do, sometimes it looks like they are trying to make a real time "Running Man" and won't be satisfied in these "Reality Shows" until someone dies.Everything that I have seen of that show is perfectly safe. All that is involved with this program is exactly what it is called, FEAR. And what is fear? Well, I have heard of it being called, "FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL". The rigging for ariel stunts looks solid, and no more dangerous than your average roller coaster. The questionable part of the show is the eating of disgusting things. They can't give people anything that will kill them, so it's just a matter of being disgusting. :rolleyes:

Saqqara
May 30th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Thank You, Cool, they sure make it look dangerous :eek: LOL
and yeah the gross things are in high volume. I'm not into all that reality TV stuff I'd rather actually be doing stuff, in other words actually do the bungee jump instead of watching others do it on TV :p :D

Tomcatter
May 30th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Hey Bam Bam! Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions; I know you must be busy and it's definitely appreciated. I think your work on both Stargates is fabulous; I'm looking forward to more in the coming seasons! You have to have the coolest, most fun job on set. ;)

My question is: does it present a challenge when having to choreograph military-heavy sequences compared to say Athosian sequences? Obviously, since P-90s and 9mm's are real weapons, I suppose you don't have as much leeway as made-up Athosian weapon fights. And since you weren't in the military (at least I don't think you were...?), it has to be harder to deal with those sort of technical weapons, or am I entirely wrong? :o

Either way, I think both styles are fantastic and you're doing a great job! I apologize if this has already been asked; you can skip it if that's the case.

Again, great job, and you rock! :)

Saqqara
May 30th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Oh man I have to say James and Paul I finally caught your part in WHite Chick...too funny. I'll have to watch it again my mom was standing behind me and kept asking which one was which ROTFLMAO :D

BTW my 60 year old mom thinks you're both hot ;) LOL

Lord You
May 30th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Bambam, can you really impale someone like Shep did to the Wraith queen in the pilot?

Capt. Voronokova
May 30th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. Here’s my (probably stupid) one to add to the list.

When you have a scene that will use post-production visual effects (like weapons fire), do you have to coordinate with the visual effects people? Or are you able to choreograph the scene just thinking about safety and the director, photographer, lighting, actors, set.... :D

Good luck on the season, and STAY SAFE!

2BAM
May 30th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Hey Bam Bam! Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions; I know you must be busy and it's definitely appreciated. I think your work on both Stargates is fabulous; I'm looking forward to more in the coming seasons! You have to have the coolest, most fun job on set. ;)

My question is: does it present a challenge when having to choreograph military-heavy sequences compared to say Athosian sequences? Obviously, since P-90s and 9mm's are real weapons, I suppose you don't have as much leeway as made-up Athosian weapon fights. And since you weren't in the military (at least I don't think you were...?), it has to be harder to deal with those sort of technical weapons, or am I entirely wrong? :o

Either way, I think both styles are fantastic and you're doing a great job! I apologize if this has already been asked; you can skip it if that's the case.

Again, great job, and you rock! :)For dealing with military weapons, we have technical advisors from time to time, but all of the battle scenes, and people shot are my people, placed and choreographed by myself, and the director. :)

2BAM
May 30th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Bambam, can you really impale someone like Shep did to the Wraith queen in the pilot?
Strange and interesting question. The answer would be, yes, of course you could. I do not suggest that anyone try it in real life, but, yes. It would take the right weapon to do it though.

2BAM
May 30th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. Here’s my (probably stupid) one to add to the list.

When you have a scene that will use post-production visual effects (like weapons fire), do you have to coordinate with the visual effects people? Or are you able to choreograph the scene just thinking about safety and the director, photographer, lighting, actors, set.... :D

Good luck on the season, and STAY SAFE!The answer is yes, the visual FX people and I work very close to each other when it comes to Wraith stunners, wires removal..............etc. I make sure that the VFX guys know where everything is in an action sequence so that our work can compliment each other. ;)

Cassiopeia
May 31st, 2005, 07:17 AM
Hi again.

I was very impressed by the weightless sequences in the Siege part 1, especially the spacesuited airlock entry and the EVA. I thought they were more realistic than most 'big screen' effects.

I understand that David Hewlett has some experience of wire work in the past, and that you've mentioned that it's an area of expertise and interest to you, but it must still be pretty harrowing and uncomfortable for the actor and technically very difficult for the stunt co-ordinator, especially with the added weight and bulk of the spacesuit, not to mention other 'trailing' equipment like the naquadah generator.

I was wondering if you could tell us a little of the planning and the actual shooting that went into those sequences?

Thanks for answering my previous question, this thread is fascinating!
Cassie.

Hex.FTB.enabled
May 31st, 2005, 11:17 AM
Hey there and thanks again for answering all our questions!
I was wondering, with the changes in Ford's character we've been hearing about, what sort of stunts is he going to be doing in Season 2--anything nifty you can tell us about?

Saqqara
May 31st, 2005, 04:35 PM
You have 26 years experience in the martial arts, and you practice Muaythai as well as some others. The question is,
Is the Waikru only when you "battle" or is it something you have to do at each session. I notice there are levels, do you get colored belts as in Karate for each level {Kon, Cherng ect}?

Out of Karate, Jujitsu, ChuFen Do, Kali, Musythai, Boxing and Kick Boxing which is your favorite and which do you spend more time practicing?

I read about Chu Fen Do and it talks about diet, do you follow a special diet to keep your body in such shape?

Lord You
May 31st, 2005, 06:50 PM
You have 26 years experience in the martial arts, and you practice Muaythai as well as some others.
Twenty-six years! I'm twenty-four years old with only last month of Jujitsu under my belt. I should have started sooner... :-/

My question is: how are they keeping in shape on Atlantis? They can still run, swim, and train. However as the season progressed I'd imagine everyone would gradually get weaker from the stress and from not lifting. They'd also become more malnutrished as their diets change to a function of the available rations rather than proper balanced meals. (Wouldn't eating MREs for a year become unhealthy?) Is there an Ancient weight room or something in the city?

Saqqara
May 31st, 2005, 07:08 PM
Yeah I read somewhere that he has 26 years with Martial Arts, that is a lot I would not want to meet him in a dark alley...for a fight :o

MedusA
June 1st, 2005, 12:16 AM
I'm trying to become a professional actor, atm, I'm stuck in amature theatreville, which is charming, but I can't do it all the time because I have to earn money. I'm trying to get as wide a skill base as possible, music, clowning, street performing, etc. I'd love to get some martial arts training under my belt. I've done a bit of staff work (my friends and I do fire twirling), but being 19 I'm a bit scared to join a martial arts school. I'm not exactly the fittest person around and while I like being laughed at when I'm trying to entertain people, it's not something I appreciate when I'm trying to learn something new. Any advice?

2BAM
June 1st, 2005, 10:51 AM
Hi again.

I was very impressed by the weightless sequences in the Siege part 1, especially the spacesuited airlock entry and the EVA. I thought they were more realistic than most 'big screen' effects.

I understand that David Hewlett has some experience of wire work in the past, and that you've mentioned that it's an area of expertise and interest to you, but it must still be pretty harrowing and uncomfortable for the actor and technically very difficult for the stunt co-ordinator, especially with the added weight and bulk of the spacesuit, not to mention other 'trailing' equipment like the naquadah generator.

I was wondering if you could tell us a little of the planning and the actual shooting that went into those sequences?

Thanks for answering my previous question, this thread is fascinating!
Cassie.Not all of the weightlessness was accomplished by wire-work. Much of this was done using what is called a parallelogram, on which the actor stands or lies down. This is much more comfortable than wires. The wire portion of the sequence took place inside the spacecraft, when there was three cast members floating at the same time, this includes McKay's descending into the craft, on his own, as well as some parallelogram work near the bottom by Grodin. The trailing equipment was done with a great marriage of VFX and practical wires. The rigging for all this took one day, including one day of rehearsal to test everything with stunt doubles. The actual shooting was done with just the actors, no doubles. ;)

2BAM
June 1st, 2005, 10:53 AM
Hey there and thanks again for answering all our questions!
I was wondering, with the changes in Ford's character we've been hearing about, what sort of stunts is he going to be doing in Season 2--anything nifty you can tell us about?Nifty, yes. Tell you about it and risk giving away the secrets, no. He has alot of action in Season 2............I will leave it at that. ;)

2BAM
June 1st, 2005, 10:56 AM
You have 26 years experience in the martial arts, and you practice Muaythai as well as some others. The question is,
Is the Waikru only when you "battle" or is it something you have to do at each session. I notice there are levels, do you get colored belts as in Karate for each level {Kon, Cherng ect}?

Out of Karate, Jujitsu, ChuFen Do, Kali, Musythai, Boxing and Kick Boxing which is your favorite and which do you spend more time practicing?

I read about Chu Fen Do and it talks about diet, do you follow a special diet to keep your body in such shape?
Sorry, only one question at a time. I enjoy all the martial arts that I practice, for different reasons. The Muay Thai that I train is not traditional at all. Therefore, no rituals....etc. I just get in the ring, put on the gloves, and go for it. I don't have time for the other elements of the martial art, unless I am specifically attempting to learn something for film. ;)

2BAM
June 1st, 2005, 11:01 AM
Twenty-six years! I'm twenty-four years old with only last month of Jujitsu under my belt. I should have started sooner... :-/

My question is: how are they keeping in shape on Atlantis? They can still run, swim, and train. However as the season progressed I'd imagine everyone would gradually get weaker from the stress and from not lifting. They'd also become more malnutrished as their diets change to a function of the available rations rather than proper balanced meals. (Wouldn't eating MREs for a year become unhealthy?) Is there an Ancient weight room or something in the city?
They brought alot of training equipment with them initially. You have not seen it all, as yet. There are different training rooms, I am guessing. The sparring room in the first Season, was obviously not equiped at the time, with other equipment..........ie: weights.......etc. Watch the Second season, you will see the answer to your questions. ;)

2BAM
June 1st, 2005, 11:08 AM
I'm trying to become a professional actor, atm, I'm stuck in amature theatreville, which is charming, but I can't do it all the time because I have to earn money. I'm trying to get as wide a skill base as possible, music, clowning, street performing, etc. I'd love to get some martial arts training under my belt. I've done a bit of staff work (my friends and I do fire twirling), but being 19 I'm a bit scared to join a martial arts school. I'm not exactly the fittest person around and while I like being laughed at when I'm trying to entertain people, it's not something I appreciate when I'm trying to learn something new. Any advice?
In a proper school of martial arts, any style, there should be alot of respect in the air. There should be no laughing at your expense. Don't be afraid of training. The training itself will get you into shape, you don't need to show up like that, although it helps the initial shock to the system. Don't smoke, or quit before you start training. If you smoke, its gonna hurt your lungs and heart to start hard training. I suggest that you, for acting, theatre purposes, find a good Wushu school in your area. This is a performance based martial art, very acrobactic, and involves many all of the ranges of weapons you will want for now. There is no "sparring" usually, depending on the origin of the school, so little danger of being injured for a beginner. ;)

2BAM
June 1st, 2005, 11:10 AM
I have a question of my own. When do I stop incubating, and move on to something else? LOL! Is that reputation? :D

knocknashee
June 1st, 2005, 11:43 AM
I have a question of my own. When do I stop incubating, and move on to something else? LOL! Is that reputation? :D

When nice people like me give you some green jello... :D (Though just me doing it won't increase your rating much...) When you get two blocks, it changes to something else...

SPLAT!!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/Knocknashee/smilies/slime.gif

There are various levels to obtain on your reputation, but it's not all that to be honest. I don't value anyone's posts less because they don't have a high rep, and I would hope that no-one else has the idea that it's particularly important...

Saqqara
June 1st, 2005, 12:09 PM
Oops sorry I didn't see there were 3 questions until after it was posted it was only 6:30 am LOL, forgive me ;). Thankies for answering :)

Saqqara
June 1st, 2005, 12:10 PM
There are various levels to obtain on your reputation, but it's not all that to be honest. I don't value anyone's posts less because they don't have a high rep, and I would hope that no-one else has the idea that it's particularly important...[/color][/QUOTE]

I don't value that system too much, I've got some pretty nasty comments in there. Just wish there was a way to just delete them. :) But I do like you can now see who gave you the nasty or good comment.

Saqqara
June 1st, 2005, 08:06 PM
With all the training and with working the long hours on set do you follow a special diet to keep your body/muscles in shape?

2BAM
June 1st, 2005, 09:37 PM
With all the training and with working the long hours on set do you follow a special diet to keep your body/muscles in shape?
I try to make it to the gym, at least 5 days a week, in an ideal week. When I want to get back into performing shape, I do follow somewhat of a special diet, but nothing that you have not heard of before. When I am a stuntman and not a coordinator, the actors I usually double for are between 175 and 185 pounds so I have to keep the waist small. High protein, low fat, low starch. I do a cleanse at least once a year to get rid of impurities from red meat...........etc.......................... :)

Saqqara
June 1st, 2005, 09:44 PM
Oh, You couldn't give away how as a stuntman you would be impaled could you?
I know how you impale a person IRL, and all that grossness, but have always been interested in how it's pulled off by the stuntmen......if you can give it away ;)

Saqqara
June 2nd, 2005, 08:14 PM
I try to make it to the gym, at least 5 days a week, in an ideal week. When I want to get back into performing shape, I do follow somewhat of a special diet, but nothing that you have not heard of before. When I am a stuntman and not a coordinator, the actors I usually double for are between 175 and 185 pounds so I have to keep the waist small. High protein, low fat, low starch. I do a cleanse at least once a year to get rid of impurities from red meat...........etc.......................... :)

Ewwww I remember the cleansing thing....it's what makes me stick to my vegetarian diet. But I do the Arnold thing, with no more then 3 grams of fat a day, no dairy, no red meat, no white refined sugar, ect.... I'll eat some chicken every so often but not much, I need a small waist tho LOL

The weight is why I'm so glad I'm not in front of the camera anymore, IF I wanted a cookie I can have one LOL ;)

Lord You
June 2nd, 2005, 11:57 PM
What cleansing are you referring to? I try to cleanse with a good shower each morning!

Saqqara
June 3rd, 2005, 06:12 AM
Cleansing is a way to get rid of all the impurites from your body. I don't know how James does it but for me it's my overall diet, excersise and a couple times a year I fast for a week, water, tea, sauna and other cleansing things, under a doctor's supervison of course, I go to a place in Los Angeles. Weekly I drink a juice that I make with various fruits.

Never do these cleansing things without talking to your doctor first and or staying at a facility where you can be monitored. and I shower everyday as well ;)

Steve_the_Wraith
June 4th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Hey Bambam
First time questioner

Ok just saw the new season 2 Atlantis trailer(very cool :D btw) and saw the part where Dex slashed at the screen with what might have been a sword or large knife. My question does dex do alot of sword/knife fighting on the show

2BAM
June 4th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Hey Bambam
First time questioner

Ok just saw the new season 2 Atlantis trailer(very cool :D btw) and saw the part where Dex slashed at the screen with what might have been a sword or large knife. My question does dex do alot of sword/knife fighting on the showAll that I can say about Ronon is..................you will see him fight. I can't reveal, at the moment, with what, or how he fights. You will see him fight. ;)

akren
June 5th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Thankyou Mr. Bamford for taking time out of your busy schedule & hectic life to answer our questions. My question for you is : When doing scences involving weapons (specifcially the knfie-fight scence between Teyla & her Genii nemesis in 'The Eye (SGA, S1)', how often do the people involved have to train to make it look as good as it does in the final to-air product; & do they have stand-in's to do the more dangerous work, or do the acotrs themselves like to get in on the fighting?

2BAM
June 5th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Thankyou Mr. Bamford for taking time out of your busy schedule & hectic life to answer our questions. My question for you is : When doing scences involving weapons (specifcially the knfie-fight scence between Teyla & her Genii nemesis in 'The Eye (SGA, S1)', how often do the people involved have to train to make it look as good as it does in the final to-air product; & do they have stand-in's to do the more dangerous work, or do the acotrs themselves like to get in on the fighting?
For a fight of that length, there is a min. rehearsal time of approx. 4 to 8 hours. There was, of course, doubles involved in the more dangerous dealings...........ie. hitting the cement. I try to have the actors involved in as much of the actual shooting of the fight as possible, without doubles. The rehearsal time can be all on one day, but for that fight we spread it out over a week or so. Both of the girls did a tremendous job, and Rachel came off looking strong, as usual. Erin, the Genii nemesis, worked very hard on this being as it was her second film fight ever. She and her stunt double took a brutal beating to make it look right on film. I was proud of the girls for stepping up, and showing how tough they were. :)

knocknashee
June 5th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Just thought I'd mention, ref - your question to us...

You aren't incubating anymore... :D

White Knight
June 6th, 2005, 01:47 AM
Hello again! *cough* We'd really like to know if Ronan Dex has a sword or not *cough*.

Excuse me, I'm just getting over the flu. Now, my question for you:
Have you had any more cameos in SG1 or Atlantis this season?
Thanks for your time.

Yours in trepidation,
The White Knight

2BAM
June 6th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Just thought I'd mention, ref - your question to us...

You aren't incubating anymore... :D

Thanx Knock!! :D

Atteria
June 6th, 2005, 11:17 AM
BamBam, you are a very good looking male. I hope tptb use you more on screen. ;)

Question: Are some of the cast easier to work with than others? I don't mean personality-wise, I'm referring to physical ability or previous experience.

Thanx, and keep up the great work. Teyla's action scenes have been superb!

2BAM
June 6th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Hello again! *cough* We'd really like to know if Ronan Dex has a sword or not *cough*.

Excuse me, I'm just getting over the flu. Now, my question for you:
Have you had any more cameos in SG1 or Atlantis this season?
Thanks for your time.

Yours in trepidation,
The White Knight
Thus far in the shooting season, I have been involved in only behind the scenes with the usual choreography, etc. I have been too busy to slip in front of the camera thus far.................. ;)

2BAM
June 6th, 2005, 11:22 AM
BamBam, you are a very good looking male. I hope tptb use you more on screen. ;)

Question: Are some of the cast easier to work with than others? I don't mean personality-wise, I'm referring to physical ability or previous experience.

Thanx, and keep up the great work. Teyla's action scenes have been superb!
I try very hard to use the strengths of each cast member. Some are suited to a certain movement style, some are not. Knowing who does what is and important part of my job. So...........to answer your question, yes, in the begining. It takes a bit of getting to know a cast member, to know what they are capable of. ;)

d3u5
June 6th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Will Dr. Zelenka have some fighting scene? I guess not :o)

But did you have some work with David Nykl?

Thank you for answer.

2BAM
June 7th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Will Dr. Zelenka have some fighting scene? I guess not :o)

But did you have some work with David Nykl?

Thank you for answer.I have worked with Mr. Nykl, and no, his character is not involved in fights as a rule. You will see him in a little action in Season 2. He listens very well and is very cooperative. :D

tsaxlady
June 8th, 2005, 01:54 AM
HI BamBam,

I have not read all the posts in this thread so sorry if this has been asked before.

Do you have a weapon that you personally enjoy working with the most?

I personally enjoy mid-range staff.

White Knight
June 9th, 2005, 02:31 AM
Hullo! Thankyou for answering my last question.

We've already heard about Ben Browder's swordfight and Ford's band of merry men who run and blow [email protected]#$ up, so my question to you is thus;

*cough* we'd really appreciate it if you'd tell us if Ronan Dex has a sword or not *cough*

Gee, I'm really sorry about that, I've got a bit of a cough and a sore throat. Anyway, my question is thus;

Can you drop us any hints and spoilers about the really big and/or fantastic and/or awe inspiring action scenes or stunts that you've...is 'coordinated' the right word? Yeah, coordinated for Season 2 of Atlantis? Besides the BB scene in the first episode, of course.

Thanks again for your time.

Yours in jubilation,
The White Knight

2BAM
June 9th, 2005, 02:48 AM
HI BamBam,

I have not read all the posts in this thread so sorry if this has been asked before.

Do you have a weapon that you personally enjoy working with the most?

I personally enjoy mid-range staff.
I, personally enjoy all sorts of bladed weapons. Sword, all sizes, knives........anything that cuts. ;)

2BAM
June 9th, 2005, 02:51 AM
Hullo! Thankyou for answering my last question.

We've already heard about Ben Browder's swordfight and Ford's band of merry men who run and blow [email protected]#$ up, so my question to you is thus;

*cough* we'd really appreciate it if you'd tell us if Ronan Dex has a sword or not *cough*

Gee, I'm really sorry about that, I've got a bit of a cough and a sore throat. Anyway, my question is thus;

Can you drop us any hints and spoilers about the really big and/or fantastic and/or awe inspiring action scenes or stunts that you've...is 'coordinated' the right word? Yeah, coordinated for Season 2 of Atlantis? Besides the BB scene in the first episode, of course.

Thanks again for your time.

Yours in jubilation,
The White KnightBB isn't Atlantis, if you are meaning Ben, but sadly, I cannot give you any details about the upcoming season's action. All that I can say is that, there is alot of it!! :D

knocknashee
June 9th, 2005, 04:31 AM
Thanx Knock!! :D

No problem! :D

BTW, since someone mentioned swords...I take it you have a little collection then, yes?

Have you ever had to design a weapon for use in a scene? I've always thought the Bat'leh from Star Trek was a pretty cool weapon...I was wondering if people like yourself who choreograph fight scenes have any say in the design of such things...

2BAM
June 10th, 2005, 11:31 AM
No problem! :D

BTW, since someone mentioned swords...I take it you have a little collection then, yes?

Have you ever had to design a weapon for use in a scene? I've always thought the Bat'leh from Star Trek was a pretty cool weapon...I was wondering if people like yourself who choreograph fight scenes have any say in the design of such things...

Yes..........you are correct, I do have my own collection of bladed weapons. The Art Director and myself do get together, along with the props department, on the design of weapons from the first conceptual thoughts, to the finished, on screen product. ;)

tsaxlady
June 10th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Yes..........you are correct, I do have my own collection of bladed weapons. The Art Director and myself do get together, along with the props department, on the design of weapons from the first conceptual thoughts, to the finished, on screen product. ;)

Very Cool :cool:

I read on your Stunts Canada Bio that you did some second unit directing for Jeremiah. Have done any directing or would you like to do any for Stargate?

2BAM
June 10th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Very Cool :cool:

I read on your Stunts Canada Bio that you did some second unit directing for Jeremiah. Have done any directing or would you like to do any for Stargate?
Yes I have, but only in the first Season of Atlantis. You may remember the fight between Teyla and Steve the Wraith in the episode entitled "Suspicion"? Mario, the director, and I shot that fight together. While he went off to shoot some other footage of explosions, and guns firing...........I finished the fight sequence up. :) I do enjoy second unit directing because that is where most of the action gets shot. I have no aspirations to direct main unit...........pointing the camera at people talking does not interest me. :)

knocknashee
June 10th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Yes I have, but only in the first Season of Atlantis. You may remember the fight between Teyla and Steve the Wraith in the episode entitled "Suspicion"? Mario, the director, and I shot that fight together. While he went off to shoot some other footage of explosions, and guns firing...........I finished the fight sequence up. :) I do enjoy second unit directing because that is where most of the action gets shot. I have no aspirations to direct main unit...........pointing the camera at people talking does not interest me. :)

Action is good, which is why I'm deliberating the merits of getting off my arse and out of the office into field work...not that the idea of a woman climbing up an electricity pylon and fixing a 132KV electric line is going down well with my male collegues, who seem to think it's 'man's work'...:rolleyes: Then of course there's the obvious jealousy concerning hazard pay... :p

Thanks for answering my earlier question anyway... :)

BTW, just as a matter of interest, did you always want to do what you are doing now, or did you have other ambitions when you were younger?

2BAM
June 10th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Action is good, which is why I'm deliberating the merits of getting off my arse and out of the office into field work...not that the idea of a woman climbing up an electricity pylon and fixing a 132KV electric line is going down well with my male collegues, who seem to think it's 'man's work'...:rolleyes: Then of course there's the obvious jealousy concerning hazard pay... :p

Thanks for answering my earlier question anyway... :)

BTW, just as a matter of interest, did you always want to do what you are doing now, or did you have other ambitions when you were younger?

I wanted to be a stuntman ever since I saw the "Six Million Dollar Man" when I was a small child. My father told me that it was the stuntman that jumped that high and such, so I wanted to be that. Whatever a stuntman was, I wanted to be that. Then I was about 10 years old and my uncle took me to see a Bruce Lee movie, "Enter the Dragon" at a drive-in theatre. After that, I was completely hooked on martial arts, specifically within the realm of film. I started training in martial arts when I was 12 years of age, as a Birthday present from my parents. I never stopped. Here I am now....................that's the story! :D

Easter Lily
June 11th, 2005, 04:56 AM
Then I was about 10 years old and my uncle took me to see a Bruce Lee movie, "Enter the Dragon" at a drive-in theatre. After that, I was completely hooked on martial arts, specifically within the realm of film. I started training in martial arts when I was 12 years of age, as a Birthday present from my parents. I never stopped. Here I am now....................that's the story! :D
Did you ever watch The Green Hornet?

2BAM
June 11th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Did you ever watch The Green Hornet?
I have only seen it on video, and little pieces here and there. It was before my time, but, of course I have. I have visited Bruce and Brandon's gravesite in Seattle. That is how much of a fan I am. I own an original cover of TV Guide, with the Green Hornet as the cover art! :D

Easter Lily
June 11th, 2005, 06:36 PM
I have only seen it on video, and little pieces here and there. It was before my time, but, of course I have. I have visited Bruce and Brandon's gravesite in Seattle. That is how much of a fan I am. I own an original cover of TV Guide, with the Green Hornet as the cover art! :D

Cool bananas... I'll bet it's all nicely framed...
Well, I'm not that old... ;) but I was fortunate to be able to catch reruns of Green Hornet when I was a child. I was more excited to see Kato than I was about watching The Green Hornet.
I enjoyed Enter the Dragon but I find the other Bruce Lee stuff hard to watch these days... It's very dated.

Who are your other martial arts heroes?

2BAM
June 12th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Cool bananas... I'll bet it's all nicely framed...
Well, I'm not that old... ;) but I was fortunate to be able to catch reruns of Green Hornet when I was a child. I was more excited to see Kato than I was about watching The Green Hornet.
I enjoyed Enter the Dragon but I find the other Bruce Lee stuff hard to watch these days... It's very dated.

Who are your other martial arts heroes?
Well............many. They are both in the fighting/real/sport world, and the film world as well. Jet Li, only in Fist of Legend. Jackie Chan, favorite film of his is Drunken Master 2. I consider Muhammed Ali a martial artist of sorts, and he is one of my all time favorites..........along with Bruce Lee. Tony Morelli, Mike Puckett, Dennis Crawford, Benny "The Jet", "Superfoot" Bill Wallace........................I have so many from back in the day that I would run out of room here. ;)

david1
June 12th, 2005, 03:12 AM
HI im new i was wondering has anyone got a pic of tealc when he was in season1 with his jaffa head on?
if u do please leave an internet link behind