This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Mr...Bam?

I have a question that may have been asked before, and if so, I apologize. One of my favorite "Atlantis" eps is "The Defiant One," and since there is so much action in that ep, I'm guessing you had a great deal to do with how wonderful it was. So I want to ask, what was it like for you working on that ep?

Thank you for your time,

Penguin
    "Just smile and wave, boys...Just smile and wave."

Comment

Originally posted by purpletoo1
      Hi Bambam, It seems there is a calm before the show starts and we are all so excited to have S2 take off. You will probably be flooded with questions once it does. So let me sneek one in before that. My question is: what do you do during your down time mid. season? Thanks for being here! We love having you.
      Well.......................I am on my down time at this very moment. I am spending alot of time training...........as strange as that sounds. I also have the same interests as normal people..........dating, etc. So I guess that I would say that I am spending alot of time in the gym, and alot of time, er, elsewhere. LOL!! I am also doing a little bit of stunt work on a mini-series called "Merlin's Apprentice".

Comment

Originally posted by Helo
        Hey bam thanks. Purples Signature reminded me of something. We will be revisiting the T-Rex planet?
        I can't say for sure...............but maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoPenguin
          Dear Mr...Bam?

I have a question that may have been asked before, and if so, I apologize. One of my favorite "Atlantis" eps is "The Defiant One," and since there is so much action in that ep, I'm guessing you had a great deal to do with how wonderful it was. So I want to ask, what was it like for you working on that ep?

Thank you for your time,

Penguin
          That is a pretty general question, but I will try to answer it to the best of my ability. HOT. We were shooting in the Richmond Sand Dunes, just outside of Vancouver. It was very hot. I think I got a sunburn everyday on that episode! LOL! I had alot of fun with all of the action that Joe was involved in. Making Sheppard fly across the sand is always a good time. We got sand in everything, but nobody minded at all. I thought the story was strong, and working with Peter as a director, well...........................there was not 5 minutes gone by in a day without laughter.

Comment

Sorry but I have another question. Have you ever gotten in an arguement with an actor or something so you put them in an action scene where they are flying around and stuff. When they do their own stunts?

Comment

Originally posted by 2BAM
              Well.......................I am on my down time at this very moment. I am spending alot of time training...........as strange as that sounds. I also have the same interests as normal people..........dating, etc. So I guess that I would say that I am spending alot of time in the gym, and alot of time, er, elsewhere. LOL!! I am also doing a little bit of stunt work on a mini-series called "Merlin's Apprentice".
              And, of course, coming here and feeding the vultures... (Just kidding people!)

Er, yeah, I did have a question...um...ah, yeah...What's the weirdest thing you've ever been asked to come up with in regards to a stunt?

Yeah, okay, so I didn't really have a question...you're just so damn nice James...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
              "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

That is a pretty general question, but I will try to answer it to the best of my ability. HOT. We were shooting in the Richmond Sand Dunes, just outside of Vancouver. It was very hot. I think I got a sunburn everyday on that episode! LOL! I had alot of fun with all of the action that Joe was involved in. Making Sheppard fly across the sand is always a good time. We got sand in everything, but nobody minded at all. I thought the story was strong, and working with Peter as a director, well...........................there was not 5 minutes gone by in a day without laughter.
                Thanks for the response! I really appreciate it, and I hope you don't mind, but I have another question related to that episode.

My husband is a black belt in a couple of martial arts, (judo and ninjitsu) and he's managed to drag me into studying some of them with him. (We have a rule around our house: No working out new moves on the wife, not even at quarter speed. ) As relatively inexperienced as I am, there was a moment in "The Defiant One," where I was screaming at Sheppard, "Drop back. Drop back. For the love of god, drop back." It was right before the Wraith slapped the hell out of him and sent him flying, during a short of space of time where it seemed like Sheppard was just standing there, gawking at the damage he'd just inflicted. (Something the black belts consistently tell us greenies never to do.)

Now I know it's easy to get caught flatfooted in a fight. So I didn't find this unrealistic or anything. I was just wondering if you had any problems rationalizing that moment, if you were thinking, "Okay. I can see this happening," or "I don't really think he'd get caught this way, but I think people will be willing to overlook it because the resulting effect is going to look really cool!" (Which it did!)

Just wondering. I'm always interested in where realism has to end and dramatic license has to be allowed to take over.

Again, thank you for your time,

Penguin

Comment

Originally posted by Helo
                  Sorry but I have another question. Have you ever gotten in an arguement with an actor or something so you put them in an action scene where they are flying around and stuff. When they do their own stunts?
                  I'm not quite sure if I understand the question. I don't get in arguments with the actors. The actors on this show, and others that I coordinate, learn to trust my advice on the safety factors involved. We come to an agreement, very early in the script, on what they will be doing themselves and what is considered a stunt.........................................does that help?

Comment

Originally posted by knocknashee
                    And, of course, coming here and feeding the vultures... (Just kidding people!)

Er, yeah, I did have a question...um...ah, yeah...What's the weirdest thing you've ever been asked to come up with in regards to a stunt?

Yeah, okay, so I didn't really have a question...you're just so damn nice James...
                    On SGA or otherwise?

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoPenguin
                      Thanks for the response! I really appreciate it, and I hope you don't mind, but I have another question related to that episode.

My husband is a black belt in a couple of martial arts, (judo and ninjitsu) and he's managed to drag me into studying some of them with him. (We have a rule around our house: No working out new moves on the wife, not even at quarter speed. ) As relatively inexperienced as I am, there was a moment in "The Defiant One," where I was screaming at Sheppard, "Drop back. Drop back. For the love of god, drop back." It was right before the Wraith slapped the hell out of him and sent him flying, during a short of space of time where it seemed like Sheppard was just standing there, gawking at the damage he'd just inflicted. (Something the black belts consistently tell us greenies never to do.)

Now I know it's easy to get caught flatfooted in a fight. So I didn't find this unrealistic or anything. I was just wondering if you had any problems rationalizing that moment, if you were thinking, "Okay. I can see this happening," or "I don't really think he'd get caught this way, but I think people will be willing to overlook it because the resulting effect is going to look really cool!" (Which it did!)

Just wondering. I'm always interested in where realism has to end and dramatic license has to be allowed to take over.

Again, thank you for your time,

Penguin
                      It depends on which time he was sent flying. The one time, he was amazed at how much damage the Wraith could take in comparison to others. The other time, when he slapped the power bar onto the Wraith, he was making sure he stayed in there, as bait. Sometimes timing is produced in a fight or scene that is purely for dramatic purposes. That is great that you have started to train. I have the highest regard for martial artists, of any style. One thing to remember in your training, as you advance up the ranking system, is this: The only use for a belt in martial arts is to hold up your pants.

Comment

On SGA or otherwise?
                        I sense you have an answer to give either way...so...both maybe???

However, I'd settle for just plain weirdest, either way...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
                        "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

It depends on which time he was sent flying. The one time, he was amazed at how much damage the Wraith could take in comparison to others.
                          That was it! And yeah, I can see that. Getting caught up in "What is it going to take to kill this guy?!"

That is great that you have started to train. I have the highest regard for martial artists, of any style. One thing to remember in your training, as you advance up the ranking system, is this: The only use for a belt in martial arts is to hold up your pants.
                          Thanks! That's good advice. Bujinkan Ninjitsu is fairly laid back about these things--we tend to train in people's rec rooms or outside in parks, rather than dojos, and since we don't typically wear belts, you can be a few weeks into a new group before you realize the guy teaching isn't the only black belt in the room--but we still have our fair amount of "belt chasers." Mostly from the younger set. We older people don't tend to worry about it as much. I think it's because we're always computing just how much Ben Gay we're going to have to put on the next morning, based on the techniques we were stupid enough to try the night before.

Comment

Hi there, BamBam! Love your nickname
                            Originally posted by 2BAM:
                            I have the highest regard for martial artists, of any style. One thing to remember in your training, as you advance up the ranking system, is this: The only use for a belt in martial arts is to hold up your pants.
                            Oh that *belt* comment is funny, but probably true!!
                            I used to watch "Kung Fu" with David Carridine and "KF:The Legend Continues" also starring Chris Potter. Chris was doing some of his own martial arts stunts ~ starting out with the basics, and displayed only a few more advanced kicks and blocking, etc. towards the end of the series; but mastering all the techniques of the more experienced levels probably takes months if not years of training, as well as a (very) limber body.

Anyway, when I saw you in SG:A's "The Siege" ep, at first I thought Michael Shanks took a noname guest spot. Certain facial views looked just like him, plus having similar upper arm muscles - not overly muscular, but sort of just right... Other facial camera angles looked like Ben Browder (there is a similarity at points between them and the 3 of you, and you're all very adorable in your own ways).

But when you did that bowing thing at the end with "Teyla", I realized it was neither of them. I was sort of *wowed!* to finally learn it was really you, so it's an honor and privilege to hear from an actual cast member.

Question: will you be appearing in an On Camera status in any training scenes for any future SG:A eps; or if there is a "trainer type character", will that *trainer* role sort of alternate between "Teyla" and possibly the character of "Ronon Dex"? I thank you ahead of time for even just reading this.

Comment

Just watched the SciFi special last night and there was one short spot that showed a scene being filmed where Teyla is fighting someone outside with her "sticks". It was interesting to see, with no cuts or edits - just a straight shot of the scene as it was filmed.

I was really impressed with how much Rachel knew and how she moved. She has obviously spent a great deal of time training and it shows. Big "thumbs up" for all of you.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by knocknashee
                                I sense you have an answer to give either way...so...both maybe???

However, I'd settle for just plain weirdest, either way...
                                Ok then......................you asked for it. On a film called "Say It Isn't So" I had to place my hand in a cow's butt, and be dragged in a mini cow stampede. The character I was doubling had lost an engagement ring in the ass of the cow and had to get it back. Is that weird enough for you?

Comment

Working...
                                X