This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warp Drive and the Ancients

I think that the Ancients would use warp drive because my understanding is that warp drive is much more complex than hyper drive.

Warp drive is and isn't more complicated, they are very diffrent, you can check out the Hyperspace thread if ou want to learn more. However theoreticaly you can get from point "A" to point "B" in a far shorter time. Warp drive and hyperspace eventually reach the same objective, In Star Trek it is Warp 10, you may know what I am talking about, at warp ten you occupy all of the universe at the same time. Eventually a layer of hyperspace will achieve the same point. Both hyperdrive and warp drive are useful and they both have positive points and negative points. However, I do not believe that this would be true because there would be some pretty big lawsuits, allthough they could call it something else.

Owen Macri

Comment

You make some very good points i have read the hyper space but i will go back and read it all. I just scanned some of it and read others.

P.S. Is Warp Drive copyrighted by Paramount( I think its paramount that owns Star Trek)?

Comment

O and they could call it Bubble Drive. because a warp drive forms a bubble of energy of sorts around the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Newman
          You make some very good points i have read the hyper space but i will go back and read it all. I just scanned some of it and read others.

P.S. Is Warp Drive copyrighted by Paramount( I think its paramount that owns Star Trek)?
          I don't think 'Warp Drive' is copyrighted by Paramount. I'm pretty sure that Isaac Asimov used it in his books. Also, it is such a staple of popular culture Paramount would have a hard time enforcing such a copyright. Also scientist use the Term to describe an actual theoretical phenomenon. Warp Drive has actual science behind it, so can you really copyright a term specifically used to describe a technology that doesn't even exist yet?? I doubt it.
          The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
          Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
          My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
          Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Starship Troopers used it aswell.

The way you desribe warp ten is similar to the Inprobability drive then.
            And since we know they're several layers of hyperspace it would be possible to eventually create a hyperspace engine which would do something like that.
            sigpic
            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Lol, buble drive would work! Or they could call it a "Contortation Drive" (Contort is a synonym of warp). As for the copyrights, it might not be copyrighted, but they could find a way to sue someone.

I don't remember Starship Troopers, I assume, Inprobability drive was used in this?

Owen Macri

Comment

Naw, Inprobablity drive was only used by the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. And Inprobablity drive doesn't accelerate your evolution and leave you as a large slug. But close enough
                JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                LANDRY
                : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                Mmm... Green...

Comment

lol, that was just a side effect, with enough research they could probably fix that. It was a coincidence that that episode just happend to be on today, it is one of my favorite episodes.

I think that Voyager should have just used the Warp 10 technology to get back to Earth, then have the ship automatically induce the anti proton treatment that the doctor used. They would have to set up antiproton generators all around the ship but that wouldn't be problem. lol, sorry to go off topic.

Owen Macri

Comment

I have seen that episode and that evolution side effect is total impossible that’s not who evolution works it can't be predicted like that.

Comment

Evolution works in two ways.

1) There is what I call "Forced Evolution." Forced Evolution is when your body adapts to conditions that are changed. For example if the humans lived completly in the water they might evolve with fins to increase thier swiming ability.

2) There is what I like to call "Natural Evolution." Natural Evolution is the evolution of your body that will occur for no seemingly apparent reason, for example having human gene sequnces altered to changed your physical make up. There may be no demand for this, as would be required in option 1) but it will still happen.

Natural Evolution occurs all of the time, it is occuring right now, in us, and it will occur forever. While on Voyager there was no need for Lt. Paris to evolve to breath 80% nitrogen and 20% acidichloride, this was an instance of Natural Evolution. Paris evolved with two hearts and a bunch of other organs that seemed to have no apparent function because this was natural evolution, so it was possible for Paris to evolve in that way.

Is this how humanity will evolve in the future, no probably not, but the genetic evolution that Paris underwent was entirly possible.

Owen Macri

Comment

I think that the Ancients would use warp drive because my understanding is that warp drive is much more complex than hyper drive.
                        Hyperdrive is tens of thousands to millions of times faster than warp drive.
                        Last edited by Vetesn; 17 May 2005, 05:40 PM.
                        "Time is waiting
                        We only got 4 minutes to save the world!
                        No hesitating
                        Grab a boy and grab a girl!
                        Time is waiting
                        No hesitating
                        We only got 4 minutes, huh 4 minutes..."

System Lords like to dance too .

Comment

And your basis for this conclusion is?

Owen Macri

Comment

Calculations i've read on other boards based on the estimated time of arrival when SG-1 were stranded in that other galaxy and the speed of Asgard ships to traverse galaxies.
                            "Time is waiting
                            No hesitating
                            Grab a boy and grab a girl!
                            Time is waiting
                            No hesitating
                            We only got 4 minutes, huh 4 minutes..."

System Lords like to dance too .

Comment

Eventually both types of transportation even out to the same speed. Eventually you will be traveling at infinite velocity and occupy all of the universe at the same time. So technically neither is faster.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                              X