X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GW Home Page Survey

Hi all!

We are always looking for ways to improve GateWorld's home page, and are currently considering a full-on redesign (of the home page -- a site-wide redesign is much further down the road). To that end, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the home page, what elements you think are most important, what you like / dislike about what is there now, and what you would want to see more of.

So, if you would be so kind, answer a few questions for us!

---------------------------

What do you like about the current home page?

What do you dislike about the current home page?

What would you like to see on the home page that isn't there?

Of those items that are there, what might you want to see more of?

Do the Features tend to stay on the home page 1) not long enough; 2) too long; or 3) just right?

Do news items tend to stay on the home page 1) not long enough; 2) too long; or 3) just right?

What do you think of the image-to-text ratio? Would you prefer a more image-heavy design, even if it meant a slightly longer load time?

Do you like the width of the page? Is there lots of empty space on the left and right, or do you have to scroll horizontally to see everything?

Do you want more content you'd have to scroll down to see? Or is the home page too cluttered already? Or does the amount of content (and height of the page) seem to be about right?

Give us a thumbs-up / thumbs-down and comments on each of these items:

Horizontal navigation line for non-Stargate shows (Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, etc.)

Prominence of those other show sub-sites

Search box (Do you use it?)

Lead features (One big one, followed by two little ones)

News items (Six most recent, followed by small headlines for older stories)

Departments

Today's / This week's episode listings. (Other than the obvious fact that we only cover U.S., is there a way to improve the upcoming schedule browsing?)

Poll(s)

Amazon search box

GateWorld Mail log-in (Do you use it?)

Forum log-in, hot threads, private messages alert, or other forum-related plug-ins?

Fill in the blank:

"I wish it was easier to find ______________."

"I know exactly where _______________ is, but it takes a lot of clicks to get there."

"I wish the main drop-down navigation menu included ______________."

Thanks for your opinion! If you want to respond privately, feel free to send an e-mail to [email protected] instead.
    Last edited by Darren; 16 May 2005, 02:36 PM.
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

The easy layout especially the drop down menu which I love.

As dyslexic person I think you could do with making font size larger and having neutral colour scheme although I do like the blue colour.

Survey results appearing on the main home pages some where in the corner.

Omnipedia being updated more quickly

Do the Features tend to stay on the home page 1) not long enough; 2) too long; or 3) just right?
    not long enough

Do news items tend to stay on the home page 1) not long enough; 2) too long; or 3) just right?
    Just right

What do you think of the image-to-text ratio? Would you prefer a more image-heavy design, even if it meant a slightly longer load time?
    Yes more image would be nice.

Do you like the width of the page? Is there lots of empty space on the left and right, or do you have to scroll horizontally to see everything?
    The empty space on both sides of home page is waste of space and could be used more effectively.

Do you want more content you'd have to scroll down to see? Or is the home page too cluttered already? Or does the amount of content (and height of the page) seem to be about right?
    I do not believe it is cluttered and I would not mind scrolling down.

Horizontal navigation line for non-Stargate shows (Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, etc.)
    thumbs-up

thumbs-up

Hardly ever use it.

thumbs-up

thumbs-down

Departments
    thumbs-up

Today's / This week's episode listings. (Other than the obvious fact that we only cover U.S., is there a way to improve the upcoming schedule browsing?)
    thumbs-up

Poll(s)
    thumbs-up

Amazon search box
    thumbs-down

thumbs-down

Forum log-in, hot threads, private messages alert, or other forum-related plug-ins?
    thumbs-up
    "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Thanks for being first, Wass!

Everyone, please remember to include comments along with your thumbs-up or down. (Why do you approve / disappove of it?) It'll make the response much more valuable to us. Thanks!
      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

I like the layout, for the most part, and the color scheme.

The font size is a little small (I have "normal" text size set, so this isn't because I cranked down the text size).

Can't think of anything offhand.

Again, can't think of anything offhand.

Just right

Just right

I'd prefer a more image-heavy design, but then again, I have broadband and patience. It might be best to keep things as is for the benefit of those on dialup.

There is lots of space on the left and right, and it's a little jarring.

I don't think it's too cluttered. I don't mind scrolling down a bit, but I wouldn't scroll to the bottom of a ginormous page. In general, items that are below the fold tend to get ignored.

Thumbs up

Thumbs down. I'd like to move that bar farther down the page.

I don't use it

Thumbs up

Thumbs up, but you may want to consider five or even four rather than six, in combination with more small headlines. This way, it's more likely that the "More GateWorld News" header would appear without the user having to scroll down.

Departments
        Thumbs up

Thumbs up

Poll(s)
        Thumbs up

Amazon search box
        Thumbs up

I don't use it

Thumbs up

As long as you're soliciting feedback, I've noticed that on a few pages (e.g. the omnipedia main page) the drop-down menus are appearing "behind" the content when you mouse over them, so you can't see them. Where can I report this bug - or is mentioning it here sufficient?
        I'd start a revolution if I could get up in the morning.

Comment

It's easy to find the most current news and see what's updated. All the sites main features are within easy reach.

A minor b*tch really, but the TV Listings are irrelevant to me. I'm not mad on the blue either, but it's not the worst thing I've ever seen.

I have to say, there's nothing that instantly comes to mind...

Anyone with sense wouldn't ask a thunker that sort of question... *Slaps self* Anyway, I'm pretty happy with what you provide. Though I do particularly love your interviews...

To answer both together...relatively speaking, I find the items stay on the homepage long enough, but I check the homepage every day.

Pictures are 10 a penny...I much prefer the higher level of content!

As a web designer, I know why the empty space is there, so it doesn't bother me too much.

I like the way it is now. I think any more would make the page look overly cluttered.

Up...The navigation seems clear enough to me on all the pages.

Up...I think they are prominent enough to advertise their existance, but not look like desperate plugs...

I've never needed to use it thus far...

Up...It's good...you see the newest feature, but the recent ones don't just drop off, which works for me, cos I don't always want to read something straight away, and it saves me having to search for it.

Up...though maybe I'd just stop at the six, then link to the archive items.

Departments

You said not to mention the obvious... Which means I never use that feature.

Poll(s)
          I like seeing people's opinions and I do vote when I remember.

Amazon search box
          I avoid Amazon like the plague and only use them as last recourse to buy anything. Sufficed to say, I don't use that much.

No

The forum is pretty good, recent technical issues aside. I like the alerts and the way it works - probably one of the better BBS I've used.

Fill in the blank:

"I wish it was easier to find fanfics. it would be nice if you could just browse all the ones that are there, rather than just the recent ones. Once they aren't 'recent' you actually have to know what you're looking for. And the search is overly complicated.."

"I know exactly where _______________ is, but it takes a lot of clicks to get there."
          There's nothing that instantly comes to mind there either...

"I wish the main drop-down navigation menu included that browse fanfics feature I was on about!."

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
          "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

I like the blue background, and the layout. Its very easy to find all of the news and updates.

Nothing much, only that the drop-down menu's take an extra second to load, which can be a little annoying. And the text can get a bit small.

hmmmm... I like it the way it is.

hmmm... larger drop down menu's? I'm not too sure...

Just right. They're on the homepage for awhile, then the archives. Always easy to find.

Just right. There aren't new updates every single day, so there is plenty of time for them to be seen. At least by me, that is.

Personally, I think that it is a great ratio. I would like a few more images, even if it ment longer load time.

There is plenty of empty space for me. I only need to scroll to the sides when someone has an incredibly large sig. I also really like that blue with white dots.

I would like a little bit more to scroll down to. I don't think that the page is THAT cluttered.

Thumbs up. I dont visit that portion of the site often, but I like it to be easily reached.

sure. I would like to see a little more there.

Amazon Search box (Do you use it?)
            Oh, I don't use that search box too much. Its a good idea, though. Thumbs up.

Works fine for me as it is.

Thumbs up. I like how the news and updates are done. Easy for me to see.

I really like how the episodes are done, with that little thumbnail. I know if I should watch that day(speaking of which, I havn't seen "Deamon" yet...)

Poll(s)
            Thumbs up. Fun to do.
            Amazon search box

Don't use it much...

Thumbs up. Love 'em.

Fill in the blank:

"I wish it was easier to find what is wrong with this site, to help correct."

"I know exactly where a specific entry in the omnipedia is, but it takes a lot of clicks to get there."

"I wish the main drop-down navigation menu included forum sections?."

Thanks for your opinion! If you want to respond privately, feel free to send an e-mail to [email protected] instead.
            JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
            VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
            MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
            LANDRY
            : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
            Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
            Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
            Mmm... Green...

Comment

i like being able to see what sg1/sga eppys are on for the day

not being able to see the eppys for BSG on fri nites

^see above answer, aka i would love to see what the (BSG) eppy is. (Even though i have seen all eps for S1)

seems like at times the polls take forever to update (course that could be due to both David and Darren bein' busy)

Do the Features tend to stay on the home page 1) not long enough; 2) too long; or 3) just right? just right

Do news items tend to stay on the home page 1) not long enough; 2) too long; or 3) just right? ^see above answer, just right

at times too long (but then that could be due to the fact that i have dial up,) but if im some place with highspeed conection, its just fine for me.

can see everything just fine no scrollin required for me.

seems bout right to me

thumbs up, cuz i enjoy goin' to some of the other none SG sites, (scape, and, BSG ect.)

thumbs up, I like seein other info bout TV shows

don't use it, cant comment.

thumbs up, informative and to the point

thumbs up, i have been known from time to time to look for older news stories.

Departments

doesnt seem to update at times, or takes a few days.

Poll(s)
              seems at times that they take a lot longer to update.. but that could be due to RL in the way

Amazon search box
              dont use it

had it at one time... kept on forgettin my user name (have to many usernames, and too many email addys ect) but when i did have it, i thought it was a nice addition.

very useful, i like knowing when i have a private msg waiting

Fill in the blank:

those ficcys that i've read before but can never remember the author or where i found on the site in general.

everything is, but im just too lazy to look for what im lookin for

links to other SG1, SGA, BSG ect.. (like to fic or fan sites)

overall, i basically love the format of the site kudos to Darren and David for doin a damned good job
              Last edited by CKO; 16 May 2005, 04:04 PM. Reason: cuz i can't spell worth a damn today ;)
              sigpic

Comment

It's familiar.

Nothing comes to mind

Just right. I wouldn't mind if they moved faster, but it's fine as it is for me.

Longer load-times are bad. You don't need any more pictures, it's fine.

It fits my screen fine

No opinion. It's fine as it is but I don't think I'd be bothered if you changed it.

Horizontal navigation line for non-Stargate shows (Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, etc.) I like seeing the little pics of those other shows along the top of the page

Prominence of those other show sub-sites I first watched The Dead Zone because of finding its page on GW

Search box (Do you use it?) It's best for the more esoteric words, but it's generally good too

Departments

Today's / This week's episode listings. (Other than the obvious fact that we only cover U.S., is there a way to improve the upcoming schedule browsing?) (I'm English )

Poll(s)

Amazon search box Got my Incredibles DVD and two series of Dead Zone, thanks.

GateWorld Mail log-in (Do you use it?) no

Forum log-in, hot threads, private messages alert, or other forum-related plug-ins? hot threads would be a good one.

Fill in the blank:

"I know exactly where
                each episode guide is, but it takes a lot of clicks to get there."

Would it be feasible to have a little box where you could type "803" and go straight to the Lockdown page, or "A101" and go straight to the Rising page? I know the search feature can be used for this but it brings up so much that it's no faster than finding the page via the menus.

Madeleine

Comment

- the layout and background color (blue’s my fav color)
                  - the episode listings for TV
                  - the drop down menus
                  - umm….pretty much everything

- nothing really

- TV listings to include Battlestar Galactica on Friday night

- Omnipedia (even though I don't use it that often but I know y’all are working on that as fast as humanly possible)
                  - Episode Transcripts (even though I use another site that I know has all the episodes. I’d use GW if I knew the episode was there, but I don’t because for example all of the Atlantis ones are not transcribed so I don’t bother to look to see if GW has the episode I’m looking for or not.) Not a big problem though since I do use another site, but it would really make GW one-stop shopping for all things Stargate if you eventually had all the transcripts. Not a pressing issue with me though.
                  - can't think of anything at the moment that I would actually like added to GW's homepage itself

Do the Features tend to stay on the home page 1) not long enough; 2) too long; or 3) just right? Just right

Do news items tend to stay on the home page 1) not long enough; 2) too long; or 3) just right? Just right

What do you think of the image-to-text ratio? Would you prefer a more image-heavy design, even if it meant a slightly longer load time? I think the ratio is just fine. Pics are the right size to catch your eye, but not too big to be dominating. I would not prefer any larger pics or any more pics than there are (even though I have a cable modem).

Do you like the width of the page? Is there lots of empty space on the left and right, or do you have to scroll horizontally to see everything? I do not have to scroll left or right to see any of the homepage and there is no empty space on either side. I browse with Firefox and have a normal size monitor with settings on 800x600 (though my monitor and PC are like 6 years old.)

Do you want more content you'd have to scroll down to see? Or is the home page too cluttered already? Or does the amount of content (and height of the page) seem to be about right? I would not mind more content being added that required me to scroll down the page. The home page does not seem cluttered, imo. I already have to scroll down to see all of the homepage anyway so a little more would not kill me as long as you still keep the most current news and features at the top because I often just take a quick glance at the homepage for any new news and then move on without scrolling down.

Thumbs-up - I don’t often use those but they are easily accessible and are handy references for episode titles (even though I only use the Farscape and BSG on occasion).

Thumbs-up - the size is just right and not dominating but easily visible as a reminder that GW does have some content related to those shows if you are interested. The placement of that bar at the top of the page does not bother me.

Thumbs-up (that it is available even though I don’t ever recall using it)

Thumbs-up - pics are just the right size to be eye-catching but not dominating and the bigger of the three lets you know what’s more recent.

Thumbs-up - I like the inclusion of the pics and the number displayed is just right. Small headlines for the older stories are useful because sometimes I see one that I have not read and I often do not browse the archives otherwise.

Departments
                  Thumbs-up - even though I often don’t glance at them unless the NEW in red letters is displayed

Thumbs-up – though I would like the addition of BSG on Friday displayed

Poll(s)
                  Thumbs-up - I do vote on them and they are interesting to read even though I don’t put that much stock in them for complete accuracy.

Amazon search box
                  Thumbs-up - though I do not use it but I understand why GW has it. It does not bother me and does not detract from the homepage, imo.

I do not use it, but it does not bother me that it is there.

Have no problem with GW’s forum and it’s features.

Can’t think of anything for those three questions.
                  IMO always implied.

Comment

Just a quick question for you Darren is it possible to move the jump feature in forum from bottom of the page to the top of the page it would be more convenient. I know I’m being a bit lazy I use the feature a lot and it annoys me when I’m reading a post on long thread and I have to scroll all the way down to bottom of the page to find the jump feature.

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Originally posted by Wass
                      Just a quick question for you Darren is it possible to move the jump feature in forum from bottom of the page to the top of the page it would be more convenient. I know I’m being a bit lazy I use the feature a lot and it annoys me when I’m reading a post on long thread and I have to scroll all the way down to bottom of the page to find the jump feature.
                      What is your sort order for posts? Because I have the latest ones at the bottom of the page, so the jump feature is located perfectly for me.

Comment

• The drop-down menus.
                        • The ever-changing screencaps in the top-left corner.
                        • The polls.
                        • The colour scheme.
                        • The 'Departments' section.
                        • The TV listings box.
                        • Five/ten last updated threads on the forum
                        • Polls unrelated to rating the episodes.
                        • Too long
                        • Just right
                        I wouldn't be opposed to a more image-heavy design, but wouldn't this run the risk of alienating people new to Gateworld who don't like long loading times?

I think that the width of the page is perfect. I like the centred table style.

I think the amount of content is perfect already.

Horizontal navigation line for non-Stargate shows (Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, etc.) & Prominence of those other show sub-sites
                        Thumbs up. They're perfectly accessible, while not intruding and the Stargate-y feel.

Er..thumbs.... sideways? No. What does it do?

Thumbs up. It gives the site a professional, archived feel.

Thumbs up. Perfect. I immediately see new news, and know where to look for older stories.

Departments
                        Thumbs down. They don't seem to change that often, and even when they do, it's hard to tell.

Thumbs up & down. A bit distracting, but once you're used to it, it's really nifty.

Poll(s)
                        Thumbs up. Perhaps a third poll, unrelated to the currently airing ep?

Amazon search box
                        The what? Seriously, I don't see anything.

Thumbs down. I don't use it. Perhaps a link in a "Site" sub-menu?

Thumbs up. I don't see anything wrong with these. Sound cool!

Fill in the blank:

"I wish it was easier to find images of the characters."

"I know exactly where omnipedia entries are, but it takes a lot of clicks to get there."

"I wish the main drop-down navigation menu included 'characters' and 'universe' for SG-1."

Comment

I really like the homepage. Especially the way it is layed out and centered. and it's width is perfect.
                          I look forward to when the season summaries are done for sg-1 in the drop down menu.
                          "Do you people practice being vague?"

Comment

There one other thing I would like to see and that is a news ticker and it could be included onto the forum.

Comment

What do you like about the current home page? i like the colors! and i like that it's easy to get where you want to be. and i like the polls

What do you dislike about the current home page? um, i can't think of anything off of the top of my head, which is a good thing

What would you like to see on the home page that isn't there? links to the characters page (the one that's A-Z), i can never seem to find a way to get there, unless i go into an episode.

Of those items that are there, what might you want to see more of? can't think of anything

Do the Features tend to stay on the home page 1) not long enough; 2) too long; or 3) just right? 3

Do news items tend to stay on the home page 1) not long enough; 2) too long; or 3) just right? 3

What do you think of the image-to-text ratio? Would you prefer a more image-heavy design, even if it meant a slightly longer load time? i like pictures, but it doesn't really matter

Do you like the width of the page? Is there lots of empty space on the left and right, or do you have to scroll horizontally to see everything? it's just right on my computer, not a lot of empty space

Do you want more content you'd have to scroll down to see? Or is the home page too cluttered already? Or does the amount of content (and height of the page) seem to be about right? i think that a little bit more would be just fine. but just not have it be where you have to scroll down all the way to the bottom to find something

Horizontal navigation line for non-Stargate shows (Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, etc.) good, i don't usually go to those, and i like that it doesn't take up a lot of room

Prominence of those other show sub-sites. it's fine

Search box (Do you use it?) thumbs up! it's nice to be able to find something and not start a new thread that's already been started elsewhere

Lead features (One big one, followed by two little ones) thumbs up

News items (Six most recent, followed by small headlines for older stories) thumbs up

Departments

Today's / This week's episode listings. (Other than the obvious fact that we only cover U.S., is there a way to improve the upcoming schedule browsing?) thumbs up. and i don't think that there's a way to improve it

Poll(s) we need them! but pm a mod is fine

Amazon search box: i don't use it, but i don't really care

GateWorld Mail log-in (Do you use it?) no i don't use it, so i'm not sure where i stand on it

Forum log-in, hot threads, private messages alert, or other forum-related plug-ins? htumbs up

Fill in the blank:

"I wish it was easier to find the character page."

Save us from danger, save us from evil
                              Servatis a periculum, Servatis a maleficum

Comment

Working...
                              X