This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The McKay and Ford Friendship Discussion Thread

Well, I watched both Home and Hot Zone today and and I came to Gateworld to find a thread about the cute brotherly antics of Rodney McKay and Aiden Ford. Did I find one... NO! And that was something I had to remedy. They are so so funny and deserve a thread all to themselves.

A personal fav scene of mine is my current siggy:
    FORD: So if this works, would you wanna go back?
    McKAY: I don’t think it matters what I would want.
    FORD: Why not?
    McKAY: Because Atlantis can’t afford to lose me. I’m their foremost expert in Gate theory, wormhole physics and a myriad of other sciences too numerous to mention, yet too important to ignore.
    FORD: I’d love to see my grandma. She thinks I’m somewhere in Afghanistan or something ...
    McKAY: On the other hand, if someone’s going, it should be someone that commands the respect of the SGC and yet has the patience, knowledge and determination to bring them up to speed and find a way to bring the cavalry back here.
    FORD: So what you’re saying is you’re invaluable everywhere.
    McKAY: Granted, it would create a void if I were to go, but you can all take comfort in the knowledge that I’ll be on the other side spearheading the effort to return with reinforcements, fresh supplies and Big Macs for all.
    FORD: I – I feel better already.
    It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

They can be quite entertaining together! I also like it in "underground" when Mckay is eating/drinking at the briefing and Ford teases him about how fair McKay's fair share really is. I think they have a nice big brother/little brother thing going on. Even though they don't have a lot of screen time together, the affection manages to shine through and it's nice.
    Remixed old sig...cause I wanted the pretty again!
    :.*.:My Live Journal:.*.:

Comment

Another cute moment from Letters from Pegasus:

McKAY: Look, I don’t expect you to cut it down to just a few minutes. I mean, there is gold in here – so just make sure mine’s last and that way, if it gets cut off, fine, but if the Gate holds the connection a few extra milliseconds, then we won’t have wasted the time.
      FORD (taking the cassette): Well, I’ll look forward to it.
      McKAY: Well, enjoy. (He pats Aiden on the shoulder, then walks away.)
      FORD (whispering to himself sarcastically): Gold!
      It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

I never really got the impression that Ford liked McKay all that much, maybe that was just me.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman
          I never really got the impression that Ford liked McKay all that much, maybe that was just me.
          I certainly think he gets annoyed by McKay, who doesn't?? Also, sometimes I get the feeling Ford has this slight ego thing with non-military personnel on Atlantis. He has to follow orders from Shep and the other officers, but with civilians it's different and he tends to show when he is annoyed or angry with them more overtly. Hey, he's young yet He and Mckay are a good example of that. Oh, but he also thinks McKay is pretty funny and is amused by him quite often, like in "Home" in aaobuttons's example above where McKay alludes to the fact that he is indispensable everywhere. Ford cracks up.

Comment

I think that they are brothers at heart and brothers often annoy each other. They are always supportive of each other's efforts to name things, though.

Great thread, BTW.
            Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Trippin'
              I certainly think he gets annoyed by McKay, who doesn't?? Also, sometimes I get the feeling Ford has this slight ego thing with non-military personnel on Atlantis. He has to follow orders from Shep and the other officers, but with civilians it's different and he tends to show when he is annoyed or angry with them more overtly.
              Really? I'd consider the different situations we've seen him lose his temper with civilians (SPOILERS FOR THE WHOLE FIRST SEASON, just to be safe):

1. With Carson in The Storm and The Eye, when two of his friends have been taken hostage and his CO is running around trying to keep them alive and he's stranded on the mainland/stalking around Atlantis (which is crawling with Genii).

2. With Zelenka and McKay in Hot Zone, when both are clearly teasing him while he's just trying to do his job--and it does kinda look like they've been at it for a while.

3. With Carson in Hot Zone, when he thinks he's about to die a slow, painful death seeing terrifying hallucinations and bleeding from most of his orifices.

Maybe I'm forgetting an episode, but it kinda seems to me that the situations he's lost his cool in are pretty justifiable. *shrugs*

Comment

Originally posted by Kiarasayre
                Really? I'd consider the different situations we've seen him lose his temper with civilians (SPOILERS FOR THE WHOLE FIRST SEASON, just to be safe):

1. With Carson in The Storm and The Eye, when two of his friends have been taken hostage and his CO is running around trying to keep them alive and he's stranded on the mainland/stalking around Atlantis (which is crawling with Genii).

2. With Zelenka and McKay in Hot Zone, when both are clearly teasing him while he's just trying to do his job--and it does kinda look like they've been at it for a while.

3. With Carson in Hot Zone, when he thinks he's about to die a slow, painful death seeing terrifying hallucinations and bleeding from most of his orifices.

Maybe I'm forgetting an episode, but it kinda seems to me that the situations he's lost his cool in are pretty justifiable. *shrugs*
                Agreed. I've never seen Ford be unduely annoyed with anyone...as a matter of fact, Aiden seems like a very friendly and approachable guy.

Comment

You kinda reinforced my point there. I was just arguing that he is more likely to show that anger/annoyance to non-military, whether it's because he is more comfortable doing so or feels he is somewhat responsible for them in Sheppard's absence. You are right, he was justified in those situations, but I think when he does lose his cool it's more likely to be with a civilian and not Shep, at least in the eps I've seen. And, granted, I haven't seen them all yet He is pretty easygoing and McKay picks on him and gets annoyed by Ford as well. It's a pretty equal relationship but I genuinly see the friendly affection between them.

Comment

Well, of course he's bound to respond more to a civilian--who are you more likely to show your emotions more around, your boss and subordinates or your friends? Also, he *was* on duty all three times...

I think I misunderstood you the first time, Gate Trippin'. I took your point to be that Ford feels superior to civilians and thus gets more annoyed with them. My apologies.

Comment

Well, of course he's bound to respond more to a civilian--who are you more likely to show your emotions more around, your boss and subordinates or your friends? Also, he *was* on duty all three times...

I think I misunderstood you the first time, Gate Trippin'. I took your point to be that Ford feels superior to civilians and thus gets more annoyed with them. My apologies.
                      Very true, the reponsibilty he feels on duty (especially when he's the only officer there) makes him more likely to act that way. I wasn't very articulate when I said Ford had an ego thing with civilians, I probably should have said that he doesn't always tend to understand their actions/reponses and it results in the occasional rolling of eyes, etc. on his part. Pretty minor and good natured, usually relating to McKay's appetite or whining. Brotherly stuff.

Anyways, no problem and I appreciate your well thought out examples! I really think we're in agreement for the most part.

Comment

Ford had to be assertive with Dr. Beckett because Carson was endangering their lives by being loud, difficult, whiny, and obnoxious. Personally I thought Aiden was pretty patient with him given the circumstances.

Also, pretend you're a 25 year old guy whose brain is about to be attacked by microscopic killing machines and tell me how you'd respond if someone told you to "calm down." I'm a 22 year old guy and I know how I'd respond.

Plus, Radek and Rodney were quite obviously annoying the living piss out of Ford and he made a valient effort to keep his cool...I can't say I would have lasted as long. I don't see anyone crying foul when McKay snarks at people for no reason.

Comment

I agree with Tyler. We shouldn't expect Ford to be any more perfect then Shep or McKay.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
                          Spoiler:

Comment

I'm going to backtrack a little bit on this thread and say that I agree with aaobuttons, there is a kind of brotherly affection between McKay and Ford, even if they do annoy each other sometimes. One of my favorite scenes is in Hide and Seek, when Sheppard is discussing football and it's various perks, and Rodney whimsically adds cheerleaders to the list. Aiden just gives him a look for about a half-second, then busts a gut. Probably my favorite Aiden-Rodney moment.

Sheppard: Why does it smell like I'm on vacation?
                            McKay: (proudly) Could it be the simulated tropical aroma of cocoa butter?
                            Sheppard: Strong enough for anyone within five miles to smell you.
                            McKay: Right, like they haven't been tipped off by the Aqua Velva?

Comment

After the events of "Runner," it would seem that Rodney no longer has any interest in being friends with Ford, and he clearly felt that they never had a friendship to begin with.

Comment

Working...
                              X