This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGA - Paul McGillion - Video Interview Transcript + Screen Caps

Transcription of the Paul McGillion video interview from the MGM UK Atlantis DVD site.

http://www.mgmuk.com/stargateatlantis/

(You need to buy the Region 2 DVDs to obtain secret codes to access the interview.) The interview length is 3 minutes, 20 seconds. Paul speaks with his normal accent, and has a very pleasant normal voice as well.

PAUL MCGILLION…ON THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN STARGATE ATLANTIS AND SG1

I think the shows are very different. Primarily, because this is an international crew of civilians that are going over, where Stargate is more military based -- that's the primary difference. And the fact that we're in a different galaxy, I think, adds to that as well. Audiences that do follow Stargate SG-1 will be more adept to watching this show as well. It's a nice jumping ground; we're very fortunate to have a show with that sort of fan base prior to our show. It's been a great thing for us.

PAUL MCGILLION…ON HOW HE GOT CAST AS DR. BECKETT

Initially, when the casting call went out for the character, they wanted an international flavor to this head medical doctor. And I was born in Scotland. So I came in and did a Scottish accent. Initially, Stewart was a little apprehensive, because -- you know, he thought it might be a Glaswegian accent, because I've done things before where I've done a very harsh Glaswegian accent. So I said I'll do an educated Scottish accent, so I came in with that. There was many talented actors, I'm sure you know, in the city, that came in with all shapes and sizes and age groups, that came in with English, Czech and German, and I came in with Scottish. We put in on tape once with Stewart and then they responded favorably and I ended up hooking the part, which is really, really a great honor, you know.

PAUL MCGILLION…ON THE ADMIRAL QUALITIES OF HIS CHARACTER

I think he's a smart man -- at least, I'd like to think so (laughs). But he's got a sense of humor and he's got a lot of humanity I think There's a real human side to Beckett and I think the fans will relate to that hopefully. And they have been so far, so that's a nice thing.

PAUL MCGILLION…ON UTILIZING HIS SCOTTISH HERITAGE TO PLAY DR. BECKETT

So nice to be able to tap into your -- you know, the sensibility of the Scots. I have that in my family, I'm one of seven kids -- six boys, one girl. I have that -- to be able to relate to the character -- it's in my blood. It really is. Most of my relatives are in Scotland, Ireland and England -- but primarily Scotland. So you have that history, and for years I've spoken to my parents with a Scottish accent. It's funny that I land this part, and it's so nice. Sometimes I'll roll things off on my mom and dad as far as -- because I'll throw little things in, and the writers, Brad and Robert, all the guys are totally open to me putting things in and they want that sort of input and I'm very open to it because certain phrasings that the Scots have that we put into the dialog. It's come in very handy. I'll talk to my mom, "Give me a -- what's a word, what's a slang word for this…little bits that I'll throw in. It's great to have that accessibility in a phone call.

PAUL MCGILLION…ON THE FUTURE OF HIS CHARACTER IN SEASON 2

I think the character has developed more and more. Once they've established a character -- and the character can go off planet now too, which is great. There is a wide range of things for Beckett to do, and the second half of the season shows that. I think he can go more and more -- there are so many opportunities for the character. It's really a great thing, I'm really happy.

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

Fans of Joe Flanigan
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/fansofjoeflanigan/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

He's so cute! I love him! I want to hear what he sounds like without an accent! I mean I've heard him in The Torment of Tantalus!

I hope these interviews are on the AMerican DVDs

Comment

He was at SG8 in the UK. The guy did seem to have a Scottish accent there, whether that was because he was this side of the Atlantic or not I'm not sure!
      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

He's so cute! I love him! I want to hear what he sounds like without an accent! I mean I've heard him in The Torment of Tantalus!
        His accent is kinda wierd its kinda a mix of scottish and canadian
        sigpic

Comment

At the Vancouver Con, they played clips of interviews from various characters, and Paul McGillion was one of them. He did not have a Scottish accent at all. In fact, if anything it was Canadien, but not very detectable. I have to admit, both he and David Nykl had me convinced they WERE Czech and Scottish, thier onscreen accents were so believeable. Of course, I may just be Very gullible. LOL
          On fighting:
          Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
          Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Well David Nykl IS Czech actually. Like Paul he doesn't have the accent when he speaks but he is Czech and actually speaks fluent Czech. I like that, even though neither Paul nor David have the accents, that they are actually from these places so that there is some realism in there.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Hmm any chances that ppl from the UK (region 2) can help us non-uk ppl out with the clip? I'd also like to hear Paul speak normally (other than the speical where he said "off" in his normal accent)???

Comment

Originally posted by psycho_warbaby
                Hmm any chances that ppl from the UK (region 2) can help us non-uk ppl out with the clip? I'd also like to hear Paul speak normally (other than the speical where he said "off" in his normal accent)???

You can hear Paul's "normal" voice in his appearance in "The Torment of Tantalus" (Paul portrays YOUNG Ernest Littlefield).

MOrjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Working...
                X