PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request, Omnipedia "Actor" Section

GuyFromOH
June 7th, 2004, 12:33 AM
To D&D & everyone else: can we add a section to the Omnipedia, "Actors/Actresses". The "Characters" section tells us lots o stuff about the characters these people play, but what if we wanted to know more about the actor?
I remember the first time I saw Felger, I thought he looked a lot like the guy on the Red Green Show, so I had to go to imdb.com, look up "Red Green Show, The", see who played that guy, and see his "notable TV appearances" section just to confirm that was him. It would be nice if we could come to gateworld.net, click on the character in the Omnipedia, and it would bring us to a different page for that Actor.
Right now, the "Played By:" links in the Characters section just loads their respective page on imdb.com. If they had a page on gateworld.net, it could also include quotes from that actor about their character, past interviews with that actor, etc. The link to their imdb.com page could be nested in there.
imdb.com is a great resource, I use it all the time, but since it is not Stargate-centric, which is what people using this website want to see.
Also, with this added section, when people post to the forums, a step could be added to look for phrases, like "Amanda Tapping" or "AT" or "RDA" and when these phrases are found, they are hyperlinked to that actors page. This will be explained more in another thread tho...

Darren
June 7th, 2004, 12:47 AM
Dude, that is a really, really good idea.

I'd love to do a Stargate-specific version of IMDb at GateWorld, especially as the SG universe expands to more than the one show. It probably wouldn't be a part of the Omnipedia, though, which is intended to be an exhausive encyclopedia of the fictional universe.

As such a project would likely need to be heavily database-driven, it will be some time before we can really tackle it and sink our teeth into it. But we will give it some thought!

And sorry for calling you "Dude." ;)

GuyFromOH
June 7th, 2004, 12:51 AM
And sorry for calling you "Dude." ;)
Dude, It's cool.

Colonel Sharp
August 11th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Yeah good idea!

Whoa! Darren, you changed your avatar! Ahhh! :D

Darren
August 11th, 2005, 08:28 PM
I'm still brewing this idea in the back of my brain. It would be a stand-alone section of GateWorld, and would probably have a lot of similarities to the Omnipedia (such as framing).

What we would need to get it going is really a volunteer who wanted to be a full-time editor for this section of the site, writing and HTML-ing new entries and updating existing entries with each new episode. If anyone here is interested -- no, not just interested ... really, really enthusiastic ;) -- please drop me a line at [email protected] and tell me a bit about yourself!

GuyFromOH
October 16th, 2005, 04:43 PM
I'm still brewing this idea in the back of my brain. It would be a stand-alone section of GateWorld, and would probably have a lot of similarities to the Omnipedia (such as framing).

What we would need to get it going is really a volunteer who wanted to be a full-time editor for this section of the site, writing and HTML-ing new entries and updating existing entries with each new episode. If anyone here is interested -- no, not just interested ... really, really enthusiastic ;) -- please drop me a line at [email protected] and tell me a bit about yourself!

well, this message is a bit old, but if you are still looking for someone to work on that, I offer my services to help out. Especially since it was my idea anyways... what is the current status on the project?

Qasim
October 16th, 2005, 06:11 PM
what is the current status on the project?
David recently said it was being considered - so I guess that means it hasnt been started yet

Darren
October 17th, 2005, 02:16 PM
The current status: Nobody has e-mailed me.

It's something I very much want to do, but we don't currently have the manpower (personpower?) on staff to maintain it and keep it up-to-date week to week with each new episode.

Wass
October 18th, 2005, 01:25 PM
I think it's a great idea and I am very much interested in doing something like this. The question I want to ask is what database technology are using where do we get the info that is accurate, reliable and up to date.

Stricken
October 20th, 2005, 05:53 AM
I would, but I would proably screw it up :D

knocknashee
October 25th, 2005, 08:45 PM
The current status: Nobody has e-mailed me.

It's something I very much want to do, but we don't currently have the manpower (personpower?) on staff to maintain it and keep it up-to-date week to week with each new episode.
Email sent...if you are still looking...