PDA

View Full Version : Gateworld.Net Countdown Clock Request

chyron
May 13th, 2005, 05:14 PM
To the MODERATORS, on behalf of all of us gateheads, a countdown clock on the main page of www.gateworld.net would be GREATLY appreciated.

I would personally make a donation to have a custom SG-1 and SG:A clocks created...

http://www.clockdown.com/

Anyone else up for it?

David H

ShadowMaat
May 13th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Let me see if I've got this right: rather than trusting the fan countdown threads here and rather than having one of our codemonkeys come up with a simple clock for the main site, you think Gateworld should BUY one? The ones at that site are very pretty, but I can't see forking over money for something so temporary.

Egeria
May 13th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Am I the only one who finds countdown clocks irritating?? We don't need a countdown clock on the main page because most of us are perfectly aware of how long we've got to go.:)

gatelover12
May 13th, 2005, 06:04 PM
I'd like a simple FREE one from a codemonkey. I'm sure SOMEONE would do it. :D

ShadowMaat
May 13th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Am I the only one who finds countdown clocks irritating?? We don't need a countdown clock on the main page because most of us are perfectly aware of how long we've got to go.:)
I'm not a fan of countdown clocks. I'm not even a fan of countdown THREADS. But if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to choose a clock, I'd go with a freebie. ;)

chyron
May 13th, 2005, 07:18 PM
I did mention that I'd make a donation toward it. Plus I wouldn't call it TEMPORARY since there are three hiatuses(sp?) a year. Besides, I'm not such a gatehead that I can tell you the DATE the new eps start airing. I just know sometime in July.

I'm not a fan of countdown clocks. I'm not even a fan of countdown THREADS. But if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to choose a clock, I'd go with a freebie. ;)

ShadowMaat
May 13th, 2005, 07:22 PM
I did mention that I'd make a donation toward it. Plus I wouldn't call it TEMPORARY since there are three hiatuses(sp?) a year. Besides, I'm not such a gatehead that I can tell you the DATE the new eps start airing. I just know sometime in July.
Why pay for something when you can make your own for free? And we'd be limited by their designs, whereas one of OUR codemonkeys could whip up a custom clock just for us.

And just because YOU don't know the specific date doesn't mean that there aren't dozens who DO know, and there are probably a few among them who could figure out the exact time left, down to the second.

If it's that important to you, you could always buy the clock for yourself. ;)

Madeleine
May 13th, 2005, 08:19 PM
From my own personal utterly jaundiced and very curmudgeonly pov, I say no. SkyOne won't have any new eps till at least September so I don't really want a countdown clock that will be just plain WRONG :p

Seriously though, it's not the moderators' call, just Darren's.

Jeff O'Connor
May 13th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Maybe a countdown clock with all available countdowns, not just the Sci-Fi Channel's, I don't know.

I personally like them to an extent but only to an extent. :)

starfish
May 14th, 2005, 02:25 PM
From my own personal utterly jaundiced and very curmudgeonly pov, I say no. SkyOne won't have any new eps till at least September so I don't really want a countdown clock that will be just plain WRONG :p.
It would amount to some kind of torture to see the months left. :(

Maybe a countdown clock with all available countdowns, not just the Sci-Fi Channel's, I don't know.
Would these countdowns include countdown clocks until SG-1 season 8 and SGA are shown on UK terrestrial TV? And the extra year + so many months before SG-1 season 9 and SGA season 2 were shown on UK terrestrial TV? That could ONLY be horrifically depressing - seeing the US clock saying they're showing SG-1 Season 9 and SGA season 2 would be like rubbing salt into the wounds.

Personally I don't think we need clocks - the threads in the forum already serve that purpose.

Osiris-RA
May 14th, 2005, 02:28 PM
I don't want a clock. It'd be too depressing.

Lida
May 14th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Let me see if I've got this right: rather than trusting the fan countdown threads here and rather than having one of our codemonkeys come up with a simple clock for the main site, you think Gateworld should BUY one? The ones at that site are very pretty, but I can't see forking over money for something so temporary.

That was a truly, wonderfully written put down of someone's idea. :rolleyes:

Madeleine
May 14th, 2005, 09:19 PM
That was a truly, wonderfully written put down of soneone's idea. :rolleyes:

If you have anything positive or relevant to say, say it. If you want to disagree or agree with the idea of paying for a countdown clock for the forum (which are, as shadow said, very pretty and which are, as shadow said, temporary) then please go ahead and agree or disagree.

Criticising other posters for not agreeing is pretty pointless and is Off Topic.

Thanks.

Jeff O'Connor
May 14th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Would these countdowns include countdown clocks until SG-1 season 8 and SGA are shown on UK terrestrial TV? And the extra year + so many months before SG-1 season 9 and SGA season 2 were shown on UK terrestrial TV? That could ONLY be horrifically depressing - seeing the US clock saying they're showing SG-1 Season 9 and SGA season 2 would be like rubbing salt into the wounds.

Yeah, I know. I was just being... well, anyway. Yeah, I know. It'd be quite depressing and so I don't like the other either, personally. ;)

Anubis
May 15th, 2005, 12:41 AM
From my own personal utterly jaundiced and very curmudgeonly pov, I say no. SkyOne won't have any new eps till at least September so I don't really want a countdown clock that will be just plain WRONG :p

Not just that, but it would remind us of how many boring days we have! :P It wouldn't be until the last two or three days where we actually pay attention.

Plus the clocks would be in all different time-zones. You'd still have to make some changes, anyway .. unless it automatically changes to your computer time-zone settings. :rolleyes:

Personally, no, it's probably not a good idea to have one, since it's best to keep the homepage clean - but if Darren did decide to put one up, I'm sure it would be the best countdown clock we've ever seen. :P

Purpleyin
May 15th, 2005, 02:24 AM
I agree on why pay for one when there'd be someone competent around here who could write one for free.

But besides that and the issues of poor UK people - GW is distracting enough (and I mean that is the nicest possible way :D) without having a countdown. I can just picture the few people who might want this refreshing the page every few minutes... Okay so barely anyone would be that obsessed but the point is that it's not really needed, or at least leave it until there's I don't know about a week left or something. Measuring a time period of months really is depressing. :( But a week... well that sounds not too bad, a way to build tension up, as if people weren't already excited enough in many cases.

Darren
May 16th, 2005, 12:46 PM
No plans for this in the near future, because GW's audience is multinational and because home page real estate is valuable.

I am pondering a redesign of the home page, though, and would love to hear what elements you think are most important, what you like / dislike about what is there now, and what you would want to see more of. And how down far you like to scroll. Maybe I'll go make a thread. ;)

Lida
May 16th, 2005, 01:06 PM
No plans for this in the near future, because GW's audience is multinational and because home page real estate is valuable.

I am pondering a redesign of the home page, though, and would love to hear what elements you think are most important, what you like / dislike about what is there now, and what you would want to see more of. And how down far you like to scroll. Maybe I'll go make a thread. ;)

Go, run, make a thread, keep me informed.......keep me apprised....... ;)

Lida
May 16th, 2005, 01:12 PM
If you have anything positive or relevant to say, say it. If you want to disagree or agree with the idea of paying for a countdown clock for the forum (which are, as shadow said, very pretty and which are, as shadow said, temporary) then please go ahead and agree or disagree.

Criticising other posters for not agreeing is pretty pointless and is Off Topic.

Thanks.

Let me see if I have this straight.....no opinions are allowed, unless they conform to the rules? Who's rules? :S

As for being off topic, I sincerely apologize. I agree, there is NO need for a countdown clock. :D :D :D

ShadowMaat
May 16th, 2005, 01:38 PM
I say redo the color scheme in hot pink and lime green. Maybe some purple stripes, just for variety. :D

As for the clock thing, yeah, that's a pretty obvious point: thanks to the idiot politics of television, shows premiere at different times in different places. With sports events and movie premieres, there's only one date to worry about. Granted, movies open at different times, too, but there's the world premiere concept and some movies DO open at the same time everywhere.

Madeleine
May 16th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Who's rules? :S

GateWorld's rules (http://forum.gateworld.net/faq.php?faq=faq_cat_basics#faq_rules)

In particular the bits that say

"Disagreements and debates are fine, but negative personal comments are not welcome. Stick to the issues" and "Stay on topic".

Hope that helps :)

MartoufMarty
May 17th, 2005, 05:00 AM
I say redo the color scheme in hot pink and lime green. Maybe some purple stripes, just for variety. :D
Oooh, I'd go for that :P

ra-hanna
May 17th, 2005, 06:08 AM
Here's a site to pick up a widget that counts down the days till SciFi channel airs Stargate and Atlantis in July.

http://djupet.se/warpwidgets/widgets.php

Stricken
June 2nd, 2005, 09:29 AM
^Doesnt work casus i have internet explorer!

another site

CLICK HERE (http://www.geocities.com/zosoair/Clock.html)
OR HERE FOR ATLANTIS (http://www.chevronnine.com/index.php?page=winning)

BackStageJim
June 2nd, 2005, 01:05 PM
I was in London for convention ....

SKY One and SKY News ...... ugh. I feel for the Brits who must suffer with that service. Give me the COMCAST jungle anytime.

ShadowMaat
June 2nd, 2005, 01:24 PM
For those who use Firefox, there's a nifty little extension called Countdown Clock (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&category=Miscellaneous&numpg=10&id=468) which you can install which will let you customize your own countdown. I plugged in the premiere date and time and now have a nifty little ticker in the bottom of my browser letting me know how much time is left until the S2 premiere of Atlantis. :D

Major Tyler
June 2nd, 2005, 03:09 PM
For those who use Firefox, there's a nifty little extension called Countdown Clock (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&category=Miscellaneous&numpg=10&id=468) which you can install which will let you customize your own countdown. I plugged in the premiere date and time and now have a nifty little ticker in the bottom of my browser letting me know how much time is left until the S2 premiere of Atlantis. :DVery cool! Thanks, Shadow. :D

Madeleine
June 2nd, 2005, 09:11 PM
I was in London for convention ....

SKY One and SKY News ...... ugh. I feel for the Brits who must suffer with that service.

Don't feel sorry for us! No one actually watches Sky News, everyone watches the BBC instead. Sky News is just there to make it easier for Murdoch to pretend that his company is a serious broadcaster ;).

Stricken
June 3rd, 2005, 06:01 AM
Don't feel sorry for us! No one actually watches Sky News, everyone watches the BBC instead. Sky News is just there to make it easier for Murdoch to pretend that his company is a serious broadcaster ;).

So true!!!!! lol

No need to feel sorry for us Brits, were use to it!!!

Egeria
June 3rd, 2005, 06:22 AM
For those who use Firefox, there's a nifty little extension called Countdown Clock (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&category=Miscellaneous&numpg=10&id=468) which you can install which will let you customize your own countdown. I plugged in the premiere date and time and now have a nifty little ticker in the bottom of my browser letting me know how much time is left until the S2 premiere of Atlantis. :D

Excellent, I had no idea about this, and I was on the FF extensions page only yesterday:o Now all I need is an air-date for the UK and we're all set.:)

ToasterOnFire
June 5th, 2005, 06:26 PM
For those of you who are working with the swanky new Mac OS Tiger, there is apparently a free desktop Widget that you can download that keeps track of the number of days to the new SG episode. It appears to be set for the SciFi channel (US) and checks for both SG1 and SGA new eps.

I have not tried it myself, as I have not yet updated to Tiger.

The d/l page is here. (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/dashboard/stargatecounter.html) :)

Stricken
June 6th, 2005, 11:22 AM
^thanks for the heads up

Stricken
June 17th, 2005, 01:41 AM
I found this whilst looking for something else, you can set the clock to the date and time, its a screensaver but still

Helo
June 17th, 2005, 05:50 PM
I watch BBC america lol, and Mancheser united games GO REDS!