This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those who do not enjoy SHIPPING on SGA

Everyone knows I'm a Sheyla Shipper and yup even admit I'm adamant about enjoying shipping but yet I see plenty who simply prefer NOT seeing any shipping and my question is why ?
    Do you think Shipping takes away from the Character Development ?
    Are you simply somebody who is not crazy about romantic storylines ?
    Are you one who can watch the episode ship but not any ongoing longtivity stuff ?
    Do I really think TPTB will actually pursue a SHIPPING story longterm ? No
    But I'd like to see it ..

Pam

i have nothing against shippers, but you have not right question why someone doesn't like it and if they keep there opinions and not insult people who like shipping then neither should you.
    i just love to give and recieve GREENS

Comment

Originally posted by oragans
      i have nothing against shippers, but you have not right question why someone doesn't like it and if they keep there opinions and not insult people who like shipping then neither should you.
      I think it's perfectly acceptable to ask why someone doesn't like shipping. It's not breaking any rules, is it? In fact, there's already a thread devoted to discussing the pros and cons of shipping here.

Comment

Originally posted by Hywel
        I think it's perfectly acceptable to ask why someone doesn't like shipping. It's not breaking any rules, is it? In fact, there's already a thread devoted to discussing the pros and cons of shipping here.
        I agree, I think the questions raised are perfectly acceptable...it's the conflict that is often caused by people's difference of opinions that isn't.

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
        "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Asking why, as the thread started did, is fine. Asking, "What's wrong with you people that you hate ship? Don't you guys get out enough? Don't you know what love IS?" that would be wrong.

There is a ship discussion thread, as has been pointed out, and you're likely to find a lot of answers there, but for me:

I hate ship because it detracts from the storylines.
          I hate ship because the way it's done on Stargate, it lessens the characters instead of helping them grow.
          I hate ship because there is a small faction of shippers who are so rabid that they will attack anyone (including the producers) if they do not get EXACTLY what they want and/or if anyone dares to imply that ship isn't great and perfect.
          I hate ship because it is too often used as a cop-out or substution for real content.
          I hate ship because shipping the main characters is so painfully trite and predictible. The main characters ALWAYS get shipped because they're the main characters, and frak whether or not they are a good match.
          I hate ship because often the pairings AREN'T a good match, but they're forced together anyway.

This is, of course, all my opinion and interpretation, but that's the way I see it, folks, and if anyone tells me that I need to get my eyes checked, or that I'm withered and bitter and alone and unloved, or that I need to get out more, maybe it's time you looked in a mirror and asked what your OWN motivations are that you would say such things to real people with real feelings when the subject concerns FICTIONAL CHARACTERS.

Comment

I've nothing against ship in general. I've nothing specific against ship in Atlantis, although there isn't a pairing that stands out as The One either. I wouldn't say I'm an Atlantis Anti-Shipper cos I can't think of any pairings that sound particularly horriffic.

If I had to categorise myself, I'd say I'm ship-wary. I think TPTB made a hash of ship on SG-1 in that a large bunch of antishippers are annoyed at all the ship, a large bunch of shippers are annoyed at the non-resolution, and they contradict each other and themselves at every turn.

I suppose that the SGA PTB are as likely to learn from the past as to repeat it, and the fact that some of the writers are different might mean that an atlantis ship ends up well, but since Atlantis is doing fine without a ship, why risk upsetting and alienating all the shippers who ship the 'wrong' pair?

Madeleine

Comment

Okay. .I’ll bite. And I’ll be nice.

Overall, I like ALL kinds of stories/plots and I watch many different types of TV shows and movies, depending on the mood. When I watch a show like “The OC” or “Desperate Housewives”, I EXPECT romance, affairs, etc. heck I was a “Dallas” fanatic. (giving away my age again.) If I rent movies, there are certain things I expect from those films. If I get “Steel Magnolias” I fully expect to go through 10 boxes of Kleenex. If I rent “I Robot” I know its going to be high-tech, lots of action, and SPX. Most sci-fi films DO have a bit of romance, sometimes it is central to the plot (“The Terminator”) but usually if it is over-done it brings a good, fast-paced film to a screeching halt.

When I watch a show like SG1 or SGA, I expect to see sci-fi/adventure, NOT romance. I watch other shows for romance when my mood takes me there. I love SG1 but when the Sam/Jack romo scenes appeared, it seemed awkward, though I care for both characters. I didn’t mind it in small amounts – fans could take it either way. But as time went by, it became a more central point and with the Jack/Pete/Sam triangle I felt like I was back watching “Melrose Place” at times. I still watch SG1 (and Sam is still my overall Stargate universe fav character), but I don’t enjoy it as much as I used to, and to be honest, in the last year the only reason I watched it was because it preceeded “Atlantis”.

Now to “Atlantis” – I really like the show, but it IS a sci-fi show and that is what I expect - again. I don’t want to see relationships and romance blossoming I want to see exploration, alien races, high-tech, adventure, etc. I also want to see good teamwork/friendships like SG1 had the first several seasons. Teyla COULD be an interesting character, but it seems she is only in the show as romo/fan boy fodder. I really don’t want to watch “Baywatch in Space”. Heck, I’ll just watch reruns of Baywatch if that's the case. I want Teyla to be good friends with, and have respect for everyone (and for them to respect her back), I don’t want to see Teyla/Shep married and having miracle Wraith/Ancient space babies. Save it for fan fic PLEASE!

I recently had a run-in with a “Sheyla” fan in PM land who wanted to know why I didn’t like Shep/Teyla (she PM'd me first). I gave her my reasons and she bombarded me with at least 5 more messages with “WHY! You aren’t explaining WHY you don’t like Sheyla! I finally had to “ignore” her to stop her ranting. A different “Sheyla” person recently posted a question to Martin Gero asking, “Will there be Shep/Teyla. .and if not. .WHY?” I guess I could flip this around and ask WHY Sheyla fans are so rabid about their ship that they feel they need to force it on everyone else who doesn’t see it/want it.

Just because I’m female doesn’t mean I have to have romance in everything I watch or read. A “tad” here or there of “maybe/maybe not” is fine. Actually, that’s what I would prefer – “are they. . or aren’t they?” and leave it for the imagination.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                If I had to categorise myself, I'd say I'm ship-wary. I think TPTB made a hash of ship on SG-1 in that a large bunch of antishippers are annoyed at all the ship, a large bunch of shippers are annoyed at the non-resolution, and they contradict each other and themselves at every turn.
                Well, I'm a SGA shipper myself but I also have your opinion regarding ship. I think the way that TPTB handled the Sam/Jack ship on SG1 soured many people towards any ship on SGA. I for one wasn't much of a S/J shipper and became even less of one as the series progressed thanks to how it was written, etc. by TPTB. And here I am now on SGA, enthusiastically supporting a ship but at the same time extremely hesitant about making it canon. Is it worth it to make a ship canon if it's done poorly? Can we assume that the poor handling of Sam/Jack will equate to poor handling of a SGA ship? How will we know unless TPTB tries?

I suppose that the SGA PTB are as likely to learn from the past as to repeat it, and the fact that some of the writers are different might mean that an atlantis ship ends up well, but since Atlantis is doing fine without a ship, why risk upsetting and alienating all the shippers who ship the 'wrong' pair?
                Indeed, and this is why the ship setting for SGA is more different and potentially dangerous than the setting for SG1. On SG1 the promoted pairing is Sam/Jack and fans can be pro-that ship, anti-that ship, or neutral. Other conflicting pairings such as Sam/Daniel, even though they may have a strong fan-base, were never really hinted at on the show, so there really hasn't been any "ship wars".
                However, on SGA we have lots of conflicting ships and lots of possibilities for hurt feelings and upset fans. The Sheppard/Weir shippers would be upset if TPTB leaned toward McKay/Weir and/or Sheppard/Teyla, while the latter two shippers would be upset if Sheppard/Weir became canon. The best solution is probably to have no ship on the show, at least none of those three ships, to try and keep all shippers happy. I just don't see TPTB doing that permanently though, so let's just hope the fallout isn't too bad.

Comment

I am against ship on Atlantis because I don't think that the writers can write it so that it isn't detremental to the show and the characters involved. I'm not bashing the writers, I'm sure it's difficult and I have no idea what's all involved, but the Sam/Jack stuff on SG-1 turned out so disapointing that I don't want to become interested in another pairing knowing that it could turn out the same way.

Perhaps if I knew that they could write it so that it didn't make the characters become way out of character and if I knew that it wasn't going to take over the show and if I knew that it would have an actual resolution then I wouldn't mind but the likliehood of that happening is slim to none.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Do I like romance? Of course I do! But I like GOOD romance, not half-assed stuff that's added in with no real rhyme or reason but simply because someone things there should be some. And I despise inconsistence. One week, the characters are in love, the next they arely look at each other. A fortnight later, they're back to pining after one another.

And as has already been mentioned, ship is murder to an ensemble cast, because no matter how you try and justify it or ignore the facts, ship automatically elevates the two involved to a higher status than the rest of the cast. THEY become the focus, THEY become important, because they're The Couple and that's what people will be tuning in to see (or so the thinking goes).

I've suffered enough with SG-1, I'd like to be able to SGA without any qualifiers. TPTB can't do ship without lobotomizing the characters and tearing the entire show down around them. IMO, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                      Okay. .I’ll bite. And I’ll be nice.

Overall, I like ALL kinds of stories/plots and I watch many different types of TV shows and movies, depending on the mood. When I watch a show like “The OC” or “Desperate Housewives”, I EXPECT romance, affairs, etc. heck I was a “Dallas” fanatic. (giving away my age again.) If I rent movies, there are certain things I expect from those films. If I get “Steel Magnolias” I fully expect to go through 10 boxes of Kleenex. If I rent “I Robot” I know its going to be high-tech, lots of action, and SPX. Most sci-fi films DO have a bit of romance, sometimes it is central to the plot (“The Terminator”) but usually if it is over-done it brings a good, fast-paced film to a screeching halt.

When I watch a show like SG1 or SGA, I expect to see sci-fi/adventure, NOT romance. I watch other shows for romance when my mood takes me there. I love SG1 but when the Sam/Jack romo scenes appeared, it seemed awkward, though I care for both characters. I didn’t mind it in small amounts – fans could take it either way. But as time went by, it became a more central point and with the Jack/Pete/Sam triangle I felt like I was back watching “Melrose Place” at times. I still watch SG1 (and Sam is still my overall Stargate universe fav character), but I don’t enjoy it as much as I used to, and to be honest, in the last year the only reason I watched it was because it preceeded “Atlantis”.

Now to “Atlantis” – I really like the show, but it IS a sci-fi show and that is what I expect - again. I don’t want to see relationships and romance blossoming I want to see exploration, alien races, high-tech, adventure, etc. I also want to see good teamwork/friendships like SG1 had the first several seasons. Teyla COULD be an interesting character, but it seems she is only in the show as romo/fan boy fodder. I really don’t want to watch “Baywatch in Space”. Heck, I’ll just watch reruns of Baywatch if that's the case. I want Teyla to be good friends with, and have respect for everyone (and for them to respect her back), I don’t want to see Teyla/Shep married and having miracle Wraith/Ancient space babies. Save it for fan fic PLEASE!

I recently had a run-in with a “Sheyla” fan in PM land who wanted to know why I didn’t like Shep/Teyla (she PM'd me first). I gave her my reasons and she bombarded me with at least 5 more messages with “WHY! You aren’t explaining WHY you don’t like Sheyla! I finally had to “ignore” her to stop her ranting. A different “Sheyla” person recently posted a question to Martin Gero asking, “Will there be Shep/Teyla. .and if not. .WHY?” I guess I could flip this around and ask WHY Sheyla fans are so rabid about their ship that they feel they need to force it on everyone else who doesn’t see it/want it.

Just because I’m female doesn’t mean I have to have romance in everything I watch or read. A “tad” here or there of “maybe/maybe not” is fine. Actually, that’s what I would prefer – “are they. . or aren’t they?” and leave it for the imagination.

I agree with what you're saying in affairs etc are best left to soaps...let face it the affairs etc, etc tend to drag on and on and on....so why not leave it to soaps?

Ah, the whole Sam/Jack thing for me it's always been screwed up and then adding Pete in....*sighs* I really saw no point in that I mean it was clear that Pete was just put in for the sake of it....then again so was Claire (was that her name- the CIA woman)....

If TPTB were to do romance....I'm not sure that it would be Elizabeth/Rodney or her with John, because of Simon. Sure, she may be in another galaxy, but from what I've seen Weir strikes me, as a committed person...and the only person she is committed to is Simon. And, when they get back to Earth, because, well lets face it they will
                      Spoiler:
                      especially, since they made contact with Earth and army (so to speak) came through the gate

Simon, will no doubt be waiting for her. And if I had to be honest, even though I see moments between Teyla/Weir and Weir/McKay. Number one: never going to happen, because like I said Elizabeth is committed to Simon.
                      Number two: Well, we all know that a gay pairing will never happen either.

I love to ship....although, my main ship is slash.

The more I think about it, the more I hope that TPTB do not head down that road. Speaking, as an ex-Charmed fan....for me, personally that showed ****ed up, when the writers/producers did the whole Cole/Phoebe thing and well, that drag on for three years and for me it was like enough already people! And that's what partly ruined the show (that and Alyssa, but lets not go there) because the show just focused on Phoebe/Cole and who the girls were screwing....hence the reason I stopped watching.

This is why I hope TPBT do not head in the romance area....it should be left for fiction. Because that a way all ship fans can be happy: if some ships for Sheppard/Teyla, then they can just read fics based on them the same with if someone ship for McKay/Sheppard etc, etc. This way everyone's happy and no-one is disappointed.

You had a run-in with a Shep/Teyla fan? Someone actually asked that question? Er, why?

Mandeep

British-Indian and proud.

Comment

To give the short answer...

I'm a noromo for the show, slasher for fic.

I'd hate to see my fic pairing (ShepFord) be destroyed because TPTB gave in and on-screen shipped a het pairing. I think they should keep on the way they have - a little UST between everyone, and the fans can all run off to their prefered fic archive to ship or slash whichever pairing is their wont.
                        Co-President of F.O.R.D. My SG-1 Slashfiction MyLiveJournal

Comment

I think Shadow said it best. . when you end up with a "couple" then the whole ensemble falls apart. I think TPTB can still give us occasional "glances" and "stares" to make us think this person, or that person is possibly "interested", but never go all out and say "these two are an item".

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I've never been of the opinion that ship ruins any show, but it's extraordinarily difficult to handle. Most couples in real life (at least in my experience) go through a stage when they don't pay as much attention to their other friends, and that kind of reaction is what causes ensemble shows to fall apart when someone gets paired off.

It can be done — but these writers don't have the best track record. I'd much rather have well-written friendship stories than badly written romance. So yeah, you could say I'm a shipper, but most of the time I'd prefer it if TPTB just keep their hands off the big red button.
                            Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                            Last update: 14 April 2006
                            Melyanna's Multimedia
                            Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Ok well i have nothing against shippers. Different people like different things.
                              I just that shippy epps usually detract from the proper storyline. An example of this is Divide and Conquer. It was a great storyline and i think the ending with the way Martoufs death was dealt with was brilliant. What slightly annoyed me was the way they brought up Sam and Jacks feelings. It was obvious the way they felt but they still felt the need to spell it out. It made me cringe a bit and detracted from the drama of Martouf.
                              Thats the only time shippyness bugs me is when its made totally obvious. It was alright when we knew Jack and Sam were attracted to each other, but all of a sudden it was just thrust in our faces. Its better to keep it distant. Like i liked the special bond Carter had with Martouf and Orlin and the little signs between Daniel and Janet. It was slightly Shippy, but it wasn't obvius. It fitted with the storylines and was used to explore a sencitive topic e.g. assension, to be explored. If its kept like that then the shippers can read into it all they like and the non-shippers can choose to ignore it.
                              As for in Atlantis i deffinately think its too early in the series to have any shippiness. It would just ruin the way the characters develop. But if later they want to have very subtle background relationships like i mentioned between Sam and Martouf, and Daniel and Janet then i don't think it would put me off to much
                              But really one of the main things that made SG-1 stand out for me was the friendship between the leads of Jack and Daniel (not in a slashy way). That sort of friendship you don't often see in sci-fi and it just put the show a cut above the rest for me. I can see that sort of friendship developing between Sheppard and McKay or McKay and Carson in Atlantis. I just feel that when a shippy storyline is formed between 2 of the shows main characters then it ruins the friendship storylines and i prefer them to shippyness.

Hope that helps.
                              Last edited by SazZat; 13 May 2005, 01:06 PM.

livejournal l My Heroes l Shep l Elizabeth l Rodney l Michael l Smile!
                              ~You are who you choose to be~

Comment

Working...
                              X