This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nine chevrons

i want to know why the stargate has nine chevrons when only seven are used, except for that one episode where O'Neill meets the Asgard? ... i just dont get that, why is there nine of them?

Originally posted by user 4574
    i want to know why the stargate has nine chevrons when only seven are used, except for that one episode where O'Neill meets the Asgard? ... i just dont get that, why is there nine of them?
    no one knows for sure. but we're not afraid to ask.

just from speculation, i would say as the eighth one is used (i think) to dial another galaxy, then the ninth could possibly be for an alternate reality (unlikely) or for time travel (even more unlikely) or for travelling to even further distances than the eighth. if chevron eight is for the next nearest galaxies, then perhaps the ninth is for galaxies a smidge further out than that.

if anyone has better ideas on this (and i'm sure many do), i'd like to hear them.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
      just from speculation, i would say as the eighth one is used (i think) to dial another galaxy, then the ninth could possibly be for an alternate reality (unlikely) or for time travel (even more unlikely) or for travelling to even further distances than the eighth. if chevron eight is for the next nearest galaxies, then perhaps the ninth is for galaxies a smidge further out than that.
      Assuming that the Ancients built the quantum mirrors, then having the gate able to perform the same function would be superflous. Ditto time travel, since we know they had a separate device (which admittedly used the gate as a sort of superconductor) for that... and it didn't work.

I think it might be an extra distance thing. If the 8th chevron is for calling another area code, the 9th could be a country code. Maybe that's how they're going to get to Atlantis.

Comment

Well if the 8th chevron lets you go to local galaxies, perhaps the 9th lets you go to further galaxies, different starclusters, or perhaps different universes.
        Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
        Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
        Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
        Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
        Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
        Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
        Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

ooh, look atcha with your thousand and something posts and your theories. flaunting your mind control techniques and superior posting powers over us!

i like that atlantis idea, but where will they get all the extra power required to dial up the gate, considering that when they dialled the eighth chevron they needed a huge (alien powered) power boost, and could only use it once before it died?
          perhaps they could use a naquadriah reactor. they could be testing it to see if its a viable power source for powering the gate and exploring the universe further, past this galaxy even. mckay could be doing an experiment that goes slightly wrong, or further than anticipated, and could try dialling another chevron... then another chevron, and oops we just made a wormhole to god knows where, hey lets see whats on the other side. cue doom/suspense music

Comment

i like that atlantis idea, but where will they get all the extra power required to dial up the gate, considering that when they dialled the eighth chevron they needed a huge (alien powered) power boost, and could only use it once before it died?
            The last time they dialed an extra chevron, Jack had just downloaded an Ancients archive. Hmm... wonder how that parallels the situation now...

Comment

Spoilers for Lost City and probably Atlantis.....

Well the Atlantis team is looking for something called a "ZPM" and apparently it's a power module of some sort. Perhaps its the basis for the device Jack built in The Fifth Race.

Maybe Sam will reconstruct it, or they will somehow Macgyver an interface for the power cell Jack took from Proklarush Taonas. Perhaps the Ancients have something stashed away in the Outpost.
              Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
              Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
              Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
              Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
              Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
              Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
              Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                The last time they dialed an extra chevron, Jack had just downloaded an Ancients archive. Hmm... wonder how that parallels the situation now...
                well I certainly can't see a connection. can you

Comment

Originally posted by SGSlugger
                  Spoilers for Lost City and probably Atlantis.....

Well the Atlantis team is looking for something called a "ZPM" and apparently it's a power module of some sort. Perhaps its the basis for the device Jack built in The Fifth Race.

Maybe Sam will reconstruct it, or they will somehow Macgyver an interface for the power cell Jack took from Proklarush Taonas. Perhaps the Ancients have something stashed away in the Outpost.
                  if something like this were to happen, it would most likely be mckay that would make it happen as they
                  a) should be trying to establish his character as a competent scientist
                  b) should be using there own characters to forward the plot or arc of the show
                  and c) will not be having carter appear in the pilot episode of the show

Comment

if something like this were to happen, it would most likely be mckay that would make it happen as they
                    a) should be trying to establish his character as a competent scientist
                    b) should be using there own characters to forward the plot or arc of the show
                    and c) will not be having carter appear in the pilot episode of the show
                    SHOULD being the operative word, here. I think it'd be awesome if McKay were at least partly responsible for finding the solution. I can see it now, everyone is standing around looking befuddled and McKay makes some snarky, flippant comment about what they should try... and lo and behold, it actually works.

Comment

i deliberately used the word "should". it would be great though if his ideas actually worked. i like that they had him help with the solution in season 6, but i do think they could have allowed him a larger contribution somehow. or at least another episode in season 7 where he comes up with the solution to a problem that actually works, so that when his character is introduced in atlantis nobody's thinking "hey isn't he the guy who gets things wrong all the time and is mean to carter".
                      Last edited by stargate barbie; 06 June 2004, 06:48 PM. Reason: to say, i love mckay. hey that rhymed!

Comment

My theory is that the 9th chevron adds another distance mulitplier beyond the 8th. My reasons are the same as mentioned above: 1)the quantum mirror allows travel to other dimenions/alternate universes and if the Ancients built that, then to put that function on the Stargate is redundant and 2) they had a separate device for time travel and they couldn't make it work. The fact the Stargate has been used for time travel was just a fluke.

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff
                          The fact the Stargate has been used for time travel was just a fluke.
                          Not a fluke so much as, I think, a result of them removing some of the safeguards built into the gate. Amounts to about the same thing, I suppose.

Comment

I don't know if anyone has said this yet...I'm really tired, and too lazy to read the other posts right now , but it could be very possible that the Ancients anticipated they would need a 9th chevron (for time travel, or whatever) and built it in for future use, before they got owned, by whoever.
                            "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

Now that's good foresight!
                              Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
                              more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

Working...
                              X