PDA

View Full Version : Tollan Dematerializing?

MarshAngel
May 6th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Something has always bothered me In the episode where Narim sends Shroedinger through the iris using whatever technology they use to walk through gates. (Between Two Fires?)
If they are indeed being dematerialized how is it possible that they can walk through the iris? They'd either have to activate whatever technology allows them to do that before they enter the wormhole, in which case it would be demolecularized and therefore, not operational, or activate it just as they materialize right before they hit the iris in a mere fraction of a second. Is it just me or does this seem fairly impossible?

6thMonolith
May 6th, 2005, 08:05 PM
They probably send themselfs out of the phase of the iris(like the Re'tou) before entering the gate. Once they are rematerialized, they are still out of phase, and can go through the iris.

_Owen_
May 6th, 2005, 08:27 PM
The big problem is that we don't know exactly how the tollan phase shifting technology works, if we did than it would be much easier to answer your question. 6thMonolith is correct, the device could "push" them out of our phase, and then it could push them back when they are done walking through walls. If this is the case than Schrodinger would have been phased out prior to passing the event horizon and then he would have de and rematerialized out of our phase. There is the other possibility that the technology can be used to project a "phase field," if you will, this way the field could be projected through the wormhole to phase out the iris instead of the cat.

Owen Macri

MarshAngel
May 6th, 2005, 08:33 PM
There is the other possibility that the technology can be used to project a "phase field," if you will, this way the field could be projected through the wormhole to phase out the iris instead of the cat.

Owen Macri

Thank you that makes much more sense to me and imagining it didn't tax my brain at all.

_Owen_
May 6th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Your welcome, I hope I helped.

Owen Macri

Hywel
May 7th, 2005, 08:23 AM
The big problem is that we don't know exactly how the tollan phase shifting technology works, if we did than it would be much easier to answer your question. 6thMonolith is correct, the device could "push" them out of our phase, and then it could push them back when they are done walking through walls. If this is the case than Schrodinger would have been phased out prior to passing the event horizon and then he would have de and rematerialized out of our phase. There is the other possibility that the technology can be used to project a "phase field," if you will, this way the field could be projected through the wormhole to phase out the iris instead of the cat.

Owen Macri
My guess is that it dematerializes the user, since you have to be holding hands with the user in order for it to affect you too.

_Owen_
May 7th, 2005, 09:51 AM
It doesn't dematerialize the user it "pushes" them out of phase, but I know what you mean. Yes, that is what the device normally does, but when traveling through the stargate it is a little diffrent.

If the device creates a temporary field around the user, that causes everything inside the field to be so far out of phase then if someone tried to use it to go through the iris it would not work. For this situation they might modify the technology to allow the cat to walk through.

Owen Macri

Col. Newman
May 23rd, 2005, 07:09 PM
Could someone give me a theory on why they just don't drop right thought the ground when they r out of faze, i have a couple of theories but im interested in what others have to say.

_Owen_
May 23rd, 2005, 07:12 PM
It is possible that the devices emit a force field below the matter that is phase shifted, which will act as a floor, and move as they move. It is possible that matter immediatly below them is also phase shifted, as to allow the actual ground to be walked upon as it is in the same phase as the person as well. There are several other possibilities.

Owen Macri

Col. Newman
May 23rd, 2005, 07:18 PM
It is possible that the devices emit a force field below the matter that is phase shifted, which will act as a floor, and move as they move. Thats my main theory too

It is possible that matter immediatly below them is also phase shifted, as to allow the actual ground to be walked upon as it is in the same phase as the person as well. There are several other possibilities.
I like your above theory too, i never thought of that

_Owen_
May 24th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Thank you, these seem like the most plausible explinations.

Owen Macri

Hudson
May 24th, 2005, 02:10 PM
I thought, by the looks of it, that the device effected the wall or whatever infront of the user, rather than the user itself

_Owen_
May 24th, 2005, 02:11 PM
It is possible that that was just a cool effect, but it is more likley that perhaps the wall is pushed out of phase, rather than the person.

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
May 24th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Remembering the episode, I think that the Iris bulged a little. It might not be phase-shifting. I'll just call it Tollan Magic :D

_Owen_
May 24th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Magic is only technology and science that is not understood. lol.

Owen Macri

Col. Newman
May 24th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Magic is only technology and science that is not understood. lol.

Owen Macrii completely agree

_Owen_
May 24th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Yes, for example WARNING SPOILERS SEASON NINE Merlin the Magician was an ancient and to everyone of King Aurthurs' time it seemed as though he was performing magic, when he was only using technology.

Owen Macri

YodaMate
May 25th, 2005, 07:14 AM
The effect in Enigma looks like something was done to the wall, it seems likely that in order to successfully penetrate the object been 'phased out' (if you will) you need the device on (a combination effect)

It's also possible that both Omac and Narim thought they'd mess with the primitive male Tau'ri heads by making up the 'holding hands' rule. Notice that Sam never has to walk through walls. The Tollan quest to quash homophobia perhaps :p :)

Col. Newman
May 25th, 2005, 10:06 AM
The Tollan quest to quash homophobia perhaps :p :)Theres nothen wrong with homophobia, but any how lets get back on topic

_Owen_
May 25th, 2005, 12:03 PM
I agree we are way off topic, it is possible that both the wall and the people are phased out part of the way, the wall is phased out one way and the people are phased out another so the wall and the people have such a diffrence in phase that they can walk right through, however both phases can interact with matter in our phase because they are not phased out far enough, sorry if I am confusing you.

Owen Macri

Col. Newman
May 25th, 2005, 12:10 PM
I agree we are way off topic, it is possible that both the wall and the people are phased out part of the way, the wall is phased out one way and the people are phased out another so the wall and the people have such a diffrence in phase that they can walk right through, however both phases can interact with matter in our phase because they are not phased out far enough, sorry if I am confusing you.

Owen Macrinope, i got what you where saying

_Owen_
May 25th, 2005, 12:12 PM
That is good! I though it sounded a little confusing but I wasn't sure how else to say it.

Owen Macri

StargateWatcher
August 7th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I thought, by the looks of it, that the device effected the wall or whatever infront of the user, rather than the user itself[/QUOTE
agree w/ u about the phasedevice effecting the wall, but I myself observed it effecting the wearer simultaneously

[QUOTE=6thMonolith;4260943]Remembering the episode, I think that the Iris bulged a little. It might not be phase-shifting. I'll just call it Tollan Magic :D
u're right bout the iris budging--maybe it phase-shifted the iris too

The effect in Enigma looks like something was done to the wall, it seems likely that in order to successfully penetrate the object been 'phased out' (if you will) you need the device on (a combination effect)
well-spoken

It's also possible that both Omac and Narim thought they'd mess with the primitive male Tau'ri heads by making up the 'holding hands' rule. Notice that Sam never has to walk through walls. The Tollan quest to quash homophobia perhaps :p :)
u'd think the Tollan were 'culturally and philospohically advanced' enough they wouldn't mind such a (on Earth comp speaking) controversial theme

I get u--if so the device works much more complexly than I originally thought--brilliant hypothesis
Owen Macri

Naquadah_nut
August 8th, 2010, 01:56 PM
quick question owen, u ever seen boston legal?

Your ending of each post with ur name reminds me of william shatners character always punctuating stuff with....Denny Crane! not a dig, just thought it was funny

lordofseas
August 8th, 2010, 01:57 PM

Your ending of each post with ur name reminds me of william shatners character always punctuating stuff with....Denny Crane! not a dig, just thought it was funny

I dearly hope you aren't actually expecting an answer.

webxro
August 8th, 2010, 02:00 PM
leave it dead , it arguing whit a 5 years topic

StargateWatcher
August 15th, 2010, 08:51 PM

Hey, NN--good to be interactin w/ u. Seems like besides both thinkin the Furlings are elves, we also have watched that epsiode or episodes of Boston Legal. I saw the one where DC explains why he does that.