Tollan Dematerializing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tollan Dematerializing?

Something has always bothered me In the episode where Narim sends Shroedinger through the iris using whatever technology they use to walk through gates. (Between Two Fires?)
    If they are indeed being dematerialized how is it possible that they can walk through the iris? They'd either have to activate whatever technology allows them to do that before they enter the wormhole, in which case it would be demolecularized and therefore, not operational, or activate it just as they materialize right before they hit the iris in a mere fraction of a second. Is it just me or does this seem fairly impossible?

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

They probably send themselfs out of the phase of the iris(like the Re'tou) before entering the gate. Once they are rematerialized, they are still out of phase, and can go through the iris.
    JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
    VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
    MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
    LANDRY
    : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
    Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
    Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
    Mmm... Green...

Comment

The big problem is that we don't know exactly how the tollan phase shifting technology works, if we did than it would be much easier to answer your question. 6thMonolith is correct, the device could "push" them out of our phase, and then it could push them back when they are done walking through walls. If this is the case than Schrodinger would have been phased out prior to passing the event horizon and then he would have de and rematerialized out of our phase. There is the other possibility that the technology can be used to project a "phase field," if you will, this way the field could be projected through the wormhole to phase out the iris instead of the cat.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
        There is the other possibility that the technology can be used to project a "phase field," if you will, this way the field could be projected through the wormhole to phase out the iris instead of the cat.

Owen Macri
        Thank you that makes much more sense to me and imagining it didn't tax my brain at all.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Your welcome, I hope I helped.

Owen Macri

Comment

The big problem is that we don't know exactly how the tollan phase shifting technology works, if we did than it would be much easier to answer your question. 6thMonolith is correct, the device could "push" them out of our phase, and then it could push them back when they are done walking through walls. If this is the case than Schrodinger would have been phased out prior to passing the event horizon and then he would have de and rematerialized out of our phase. There is the other possibility that the technology can be used to project a "phase field," if you will, this way the field could be projected through the wormhole to phase out the iris instead of the cat.

Owen Macri
            My guess is that it dematerializes the user, since you have to be holding hands with the user in order for it to affect you too.

Comment

It doesn't dematerialize the user it "pushes" them out of phase, but I know what you mean. Yes, that is what the device normally does, but when traveling through the stargate it is a little diffrent.

If the device creates a temporary field around the user, that causes everything inside the field to be so far out of phase then if someone tried to use it to go through the iris it would not work. For this situation they might modify the technology to allow the cat to walk through.

Owen Macri

Comment

Could someone give me a theory on why they just don't drop right thought the ground when they r out of faze, i have a couple of theories but im interested in what others have to say.

Comment

It is possible that the devices emit a force field below the matter that is phase shifted, which will act as a floor, and move as they move. It is possible that matter immediatly below them is also phase shifted, as to allow the actual ground to be walked upon as it is in the same phase as the person as well. There are several other possibilities.

Owen Macri

Comment

It is possible that the devices emit a force field below the matter that is phase shifted, which will act as a floor, and move as they move.
                    Thats my main theory too

It is possible that matter immediatly below them is also phase shifted, as to allow the actual ground to be walked upon as it is in the same phase as the person as well. There are several other possibilities.
                    I like your above theory too, i never thought of that

Comment

Thank you, these seem like the most plausible explinations.

Owen Macri

Comment

I thought, by the looks of it, that the device effected the wall or whatever infront of the user, rather than the user itself

Help!
                        My emojournal

Comment

It is possible that that was just a cool effect, but it is more likley that perhaps the wall is pushed out of phase, rather than the person.

Owen Macri

Comment

Remembering the episode, I think that the Iris bulged a little. It might not be phase-shifting. I'll just call it Tollan Magic
                            JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                            VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                            MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                            LANDRY
                            : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                            Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                            Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                            Mmm... Green...

Comment

Magic is only technology and science that is not understood. lol.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                              X