X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bouncing Between Gates

Afternoon all.

Two gates make a connection and it takes a lot of power.

Can a third be used as a relay?

Instead of a seven character address, it would be thirteen or fourteen symbols in length?

Idea

Special self destructing crystal placed in gate.

Dial in thirty seven symbol scrambled a address and travel from A to B, via C, D, E and F...

That could work, but not with the Stargate, there aren't enough chevrons. Also each galaxy is in a seprate group, so even if you went to the planet in your galaxy closest to another galaxy you would still need an eigth chevron, it was a good idea, but not with the stargate.

Owen Macri

Comment

That would be tough to do. If it was possible, the bends in space would be horrifically huge. It might be possible to 'gate hop closer to your destination, to use less power, But I dont think that chevrons could be reused in that way.
      JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
      VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
      MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
      LANDRY
      : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
      Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
      Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
      Mmm... Green...

Comment

Does distance even matter?

Yes, we DO know that calling outside the local dialing area takes more energy, but all local calls could be created equal.

Comment

Power consumption would become an issue, since we know that dialing the Pegasus gate ate up a ton of power. So if we follow that precedent, there's going to come a point where we won't be able to dial out to certain long-distance gates for the simple reason that we just can't generate enough power for the gate.

Comment

There will always be new and more powerful sources of energy.

Owen Macri

Comment

Another problem is the eight chevron locking, as seen in "Home" you need a special crystal to lock the eight chevron and I'm geussing every gate doesn't have that.
              sigpic
              Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel Sharp
                Another problem is the eight chevron locking, as seen in "Home" you need a special crystal to lock the eight chevron and I'm geussing every gate doesn't have that.
                As I understand it, that is only in the Pegsus galaxy you need the crystal. You probaly need on in the MW too but the SGC does need one for their DHD is only permnant rigged DHD in the system, that I know of.

Comment

Thats what I was thinking, so it may only be in the pegasus galaxy, but thats still a lot of gates.
                  sigpic
                  Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

Though if the Ancients were concerned with saving power for ZPM-less primitives like us, then for 'gate-ship' travel they could have put a string of Stargates between galaxies

EDIT : One of my pet theories is that the Ancients have put a 'quarantine' into the gates of Pegasus (or more accurately the DHDs) to prevent the Wraith (if they were to find a ZPM) from dialling extra-galactic. To bypass the quarantine code, you need to have the special control crystal, which can be found hooked up to Atlantis' computers.

Though obviously the Ancients allowed the gates within Pegasus to dial each other, probably to let the abandoned humans of Pegasus continue to communicate with each other (with the notable exception of Atlantis).
                    Last edited by YodaMate; 01 June 2005, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Only in the Pegasus galaxy do the Stargates require the Atlantis control crystal to make an eight chevron lock. I agree with Yoda, the foremost theory is that the Ancients needed to quarantine the Pagasus galaxy. Not so much because of a disease but because they were experimenting with evolution, and if something bad were to evolve (like, oh, say, the Wraith) they could not be allowed to "contaminate" other parts of the universe, they couldn't be allowed to leave. The way they accomplished this was with the DHD's they made it necesary for Atlantis gates to be connected to the control crystal designed for the Atlantis DHD.

Owen Macri

Comment

I don't think that these would be possible, but not for the reasons already stated.

The number of chevrons should not be a problem. It would mean using a custom program in the DHD. I think that it would be a problem because it would introduce a new mode of operation for the stargate. Right now we have three.

1) Connect to 1 stargate send.
                        2) Connect to 1 stargate receive.
                        3) Conect to many stargates and ???? (I am not sure what the properties are of a conection to many stargates)

We would need to introduce a fourth mode of operation.

4) Connect to a sending stargate, connect to a receiving stargate and pass from one to the other.

Actually, I suppose that there might be another way to "bounce" from one stargate to another. You could use a program simular to avenger. It would be programed to change the programming on the receving stargate so that it would hold the travelers in buffer instead of rematerializing them. When the worm hole was was ended, it would then dial another gate, connect a wormhole without wiping the contents of the buffer, then pass the avenger-like program and the passangers to the next gate. In this manner travels could be passed from gate to gate.

This option would require a number of things:

1) An Avenger-like program could be created that could change gate functions, and not just DHD functions.
                        2) A worm-hole connection can be made without clearing the buffer. (i.e. through the characteristic whoosh. In 48 hours they did not establish a wormhole connection.)
                        3) The recieve buffer can be fed into an outgoing worm-hole. This could be problematic for example the interpretation of the buffer contents is unique to the specific connection, or if the receive and send buffers are seperate.

This brings up the question: Why would you want to do this? It would not be useful disguising where you are coming from. It is already impossible to know the source of an incoming wormhole. It may be useful to disguise where you are going, but that would require the ability to inject the Avenger-like program without leaving a trail. I may be useful to take people through the stargate without revealing to them the destination. For example to take people to a meeting at a secret location. It may be possible to use the gates as relays. You would gate from one gate to the other. Each connection would be powered by a different gate, and would only need to power that segment. Of course, over long distances this might require a large number of gates and use much time, as each segment must disengage and connect to the next in sequence.

Comment

The distance between the MW gates is quite small, compared to others. Where conventional hyperdrives can cross distances between worlds in days or less, the distances between galaxies are huge. "Hopping" between Gates would be like taking a small plane from one town on a island to another. No matter how far you go, you will only get slightly closer to a distant destination. Even going between galaxies, like ours and the Asgard, in the same Local Group requires a great amount of energy (The Fifth Race). Going between galaxies is like jumping from one island to another in an archipelago. Pegasus is in a different Local Group, and would be like flying across an ocean to another continent.
                          Jack: I can't remember much, but I have these visions- A large man, with short sleeves and blue pants...

I think his name is...Homer, and he's very important to me...

Comment

Originally posted by Quakerbone
                            The distance between the MW gates is quite small, compared to others. Where conventional hyperdrives can cross distances between worlds in days or less, the distances between galaxies are huge. "Hopping" between Gates would be like taking a small plane from one town on a island to another. No matter how far you go, you will only get slightly closer to a distant destination. Even going between galaxies, like ours and the Asgard, in the same Local Group requires a great amount of energy (The Fifth Race). Going between galaxies is like jumping from one island to another in an archipelago. Pegasus is in a different Local Group, and would be like flying across an ocean to another continent.
                            What did people do before planes could cross the pacific? The used islands as places to stop and refuel. See for example the history of Midway Island. Of course as I pointed out in my previous post. Intergalactic travel, or as you pointed out, intergroup travel, would require many (many in this case being literally astronomical) stargates, and would be very slow. In fact in this case we may even have to worry about the size of the travel itinerary.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidBlue
                              What did people do before planes could cross the pacific? The used islands as places to stop and refuel. See for example the history of Midway Island. Of course as I pointed out in my previous post. Intergalactic travel, or as you pointed out, intergroup travel, would require many (many in this case being literally astronomical) stargates, and would be very slow. In fact in this case we may even have to worry about the size of the travel itinerary.
                              See: "The Influence of Sea Power Upon History" Alfred T Mahan

Of course. Midway, Guam, Phillipines: they were all examples of how America, like other nations, used islands as fueling points for trans-ocean travel. This However, there are no such islands in the universe that we know of- no such thing as a rouge system or planet to place a Gate on (let alone life to necessitate a Gate). This could be a major hinderance to the Gate-hopping theory.
                              Jack: I can't remember much, but I have these visions- A large man, with short sleeves and blue pants...

I think his name is...Homer, and he's very important to me...

Comment

Working...
                              X