This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I, Robot

Is anyone looking forward to the movie I, Robot? Also wasn't there an episode of 'The Outer Limits' that is based on the same source material?

I'm confused. I thought it was the Caves of Steel, which had R.(robot) Daneel as the detective. I read the Asimov books back in the 50's and 60's.
    Will Smith is supposed to be in the movie version.
    Slainte
    "There are many forms of power, my dear. Some more subtle than others." Linea to Captain Carter, Prisoners, S2.

Comment

From what I know this movie is just using the name and the 3 Laws Safe thing. It has nothing to do with the books. I think.

I want to see it but its not worth going to the theathers. Worth a rent maybe.
      "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

It doesn't make sense though, because the 3 laws are supposed to stop robots harming humans no matter what happens, at all... at least that's the way it's supposed to be, but Will Smith changes everything! *tries not to go see the film, but knows it is enevitable, just like The Day After Tommorrow*

Comment

I have to admit I think this move will really suck
          __

__

Comment

I am psyched for this one!

oh and it is a remake of another movie, supposedly *that's what my dad said*

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
            Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
            Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

I think this movie has the potential to suck, but it could be pretty decent.

Comment

It looks interesting, I'll give it that. If I see it, which I probably will since both Stargate and Enterprise are done for the season, I'd be interested in the future technology and how the robots rebel. Although this has already been done before *cough* ep of animatrix *cough* various other shows I don't want to name *cough*
                Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
                Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
                Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
                Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
                Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
                Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
                Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

One thing I find funny about every preview of this movie I've seen; all of the action shots seem to come from the same scene. Yahoo! Movies doesn't even list it as an action movie. It's a crime story and thriller, plain and simple-- yet they promote it like an action film.

I've never read any of the original short stories or the other Asimov robot books (thinking about it now, though), but I'm assuming this movie uses an original story. It sounds like Caves of Steel, but the character names are different. From what I've heard about some of Asimov's stories, and if this movie is written anything like them, I doubt we're going to see another "Animatrix: Second Renaissance." Writing this movie anything like "The Second Renaissance" would be a terrible idea after the release and television airing of The Animatrix. So I'm seriously hoping us Matrix fans are thrown a nice, entertaining curveball.
                  It's a Fargate! It's different.

Comment

Bicentennial Man was based on an Asimov Book. "The Positronic Man" if I recall correctly. It was pretty decent, but it was more of a "personal drama" than an action flick or "crime thriller".
                    Thomas G Sluder
                    Smyrna, DE, USA

Comment

I still hate the concept that great robts turn evil. So simple
                      __

__

Comment

That's one of many sci-fi cliches. An android becomes so sophisticated that it becomes self-aware and starts kiling all humans.

I'm getting tired of that too.
                        Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
                        Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
                        Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
                        Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
                        Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
                        Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
                        Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

In Asimov's books the robots always found loopholes around the 3 laws, it seems there were enough to spawn hundreds of books.
                          [email protected]
                          http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
                          One nation under dog
                          There of which I stand alone
                          A face in the crowd
                          Unsung, against the mold
                          Without a doubt
                          Singled out
                          The only way I know

Comment

It doesn't make sense though, because the 3 laws are supposed to stop robots harming humans no matter what happens, at all... at least that's the way it's supposed to be, but Will Smith changes everything! *tries not to go see the film, but knows it is enevitable, just like The Day After Tommorrow*
                            Spoilers for the book....
                            I'd hate to tell you but just because the three laws exsisted doesn't mean that a robot couldn't kill. Read the book. It specifically spells out why a robot could kill. Actually it seems like the writers of the movie knows what they are doing. If you look at the website the robots name is the NS brand name. In the books the Nestor brand of the robots had a modified first law of robotics. It was theoritically the only robots that could kill a human being. In fact it almost came close. Also Will Smith's character should fit in the whole scheme. There were plenty of people opposed to robots in the book. In fact you could see that throughout the whole book. The movie also mentions evolution of robots. That is also mentioned in the last story of the book. They had no idea how the machines were built since they were built by more machines.
                            Also wasn't there an episode of 'The Outer Limits' that is based on the same source material?
                            Yeah I saw the same episode that I believe had some basis on Asimov's books. It had Micheal Shanks in it. The episode was rather quite good.
                            Last edited by CyberKnight; 23 June 2004, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SGSlugger
                              That's one of many sci-fi cliches. An android becomes so sophisticated that it becomes self-aware and starts kiling all humans.

I'm getting tired of that too.
                              It's funny how they become self-aware, and the only emotion they ever develop is anger. Although I can see how they fee this way, the robots never feel any regret about killing a human. Considering they are made by humans, it seems unlikely they would ONLY develop the ability to hate, as well as not feel any regret for killing their "mommy" or "daddy."

(Although, the Animatrix was a LITTLE different. The robots did try to establish themselves. Only when the humans didn't listen, did the bloodshed begin.)
                              "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

Working...
                              X