This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Chronicles of Riddick

Been watching all the commercials for this one and it looks like it could be a good one. What is everyone's opinion?

I've been watching the trailers online over and over again. I usually don't get all freaky over movies but this one can't come out soon enough for me. There are very few truly enjoyable sci-fi films lately and Pitch Black was one of them. I just hope it doesn't fall into the curse of the sequels and end up a Matrix-like disaster.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Yes! Christ, if it does turn out like the second and third Matrix movies I'll be so dissappointed. I have to confess I'm a bit worried about what they'll do with Riddick's character. In Pitch Black his really questionable morals were great. I honestly had no idea what was going to happen and if he'd turn out good or bad or both. If they change his character too much for the new film and try to make him out to be a really nice, altruistic, misrepresented guy then it'll ruin the film in my opinion. If he has reformed slightly then I'll accept it because we saw some of that at the end of the last film, but he needs to keep the edginess of Pitch Black.
      sum ergo cogitum
      I am therefore I think.

Comment

I am so follwoing the making of this movie...and can't wait till it comes out...i wanna see it BAAAAAAADLY!!!!!!

Comment

I haven't seen any comercials, but I thought Riddick got eaten at the end of Pitch Black. Is this a prequel?
          sigpic

Comment

he did not...he and that women and a girl escaped from the plante...this is a sequal....but there is a game...which i think is a prequal

Comment

No, the woman never made it off the planet. Riddick... well, possibly killed her, possibly just let her be killed. I could never quite decide if he was stabbing her, or if it was one of the alien creature things. 'Cause if he was stabbing her then, why? There was some weird motivation going on there, although it did seem to act as a catharsis for his coming over to the light. As he was leaving he said that Riddick had died on the planet, suggesting that maybe the woman's death was like a sacrifice. Hmmm. For the record I think there were three survivors: Riddick, the girl who's in the new film, and the Immam guy. And who thought they were going to be the survivors, hmmm? I mean, I kind of knew the girl was going to make it - though I wasn't certain - and I didn't think the Muslim boys were going to because there'd been hardly any character development for them, but beyond that...!
              sum ergo cogitum
              I am therefore I think.

Comment

Riddick didn't stab the Fry. They clearly showed her impaled on the alien when it dragged her away from Riddick and then he dropped to the ground and said "Not for me". I always took that to mean that he didn't feel he deserved to have her die while saving him. And when he tells Jack to tell people that Riddick died on the planet I always took that to mean that a part of him died on the planet. Like the cold-blooded almost inhuman murderer part of him. But that's just my take on it. The movie was kind of ambiguous which I kind of like.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                  Riddick didn't stab the Fry. They clearly showed her impaled on the alien when it dragged her away from Riddick and then he dropped to the ground and said "Not for me". I always took that to mean that he didn't feel he deserved to have her die while saving him. And when he tells Jack to tell people that Riddick died on the planet I always took that to mean that a part of him died on the planet. Like the cold-blooded almost inhuman murderer part of him. But that's just my take on it. The movie was kind of ambiguous which I kind of like.
                  I like your interpretation of things. That is how I was thinking about the whole thing too.

Comment

It didn't show him actually stabbing her, but - and I watched this bit several times to try to make sure - it does show his hand (holding the knife) behind her back whilst he's holding on to her, and then the hand plunges down and she shudders, presumably having just been stabbed. There's then a couple of seconds of her dying before the alien whisks her away - would the alien have waited before stealing it's prey? And the comment "Not for me" could just as easily be "Not for me?" i.e. harking back to her saying "I said I'd die for them, not for you Riddick" as it could do for "Not for me" i.e. your explanation. Both interpretations fit, except that the plunging movement of his arm was the factor which decided me.
                    sum ergo cogitum
                    I am therefore I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Champos
                      except that the plunging movement of his arm was the factor which decided me.
                      I am gonna have to rent it now and watch for that! heheheh...

Comment

Hm.. I always though the creature killed her! Hm..

I'll be watching Riddick though! Looks so cool!
                        "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

Originally posted by Supreme Commander Thor
                          I am gonna have to rent it now and watch for that! heheheh...
                          My work here is done.
                          sum ergo cogitum
                          I am therefore I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Champos
                            It didn't show him actually stabbing her, but - and I watched this bit several times to try to make sure - it does show his hand (holding the knife) behind her back whilst he's holding on to her, and then the hand plunges down and she shudders, presumably having just been stabbed. There's then a couple of seconds of her dying before the alien whisks her away - would the alien have waited before stealing it's prey? And the comment "Not for me" could just as easily be "Not for me?" i.e. harking back to her saying "I said I'd die for them, not for you Riddick" as it could do for "Not for me" i.e. your explanation. Both interpretations fit, except that the plunging movement of his arm was the factor which decided me.
                            My thinking is that if Riddick was going to kill anybody in that movie it would been Johns, I think that the knife plunge was just a dramatic misdirection and that he only lowered it. She tells him "I said I'd die for them, not for you Riddick" yet she ends up doing just that, dying for him. If she had not gone back for him that creature that killed her would have gotten him instead.

She tells him with her words that he is not worth saving but tells him with her actions that he is worth saving. Seeing her get carried off further burned this into him. "For them, not for me, NOT FOR ME!" was the same as if he had said "Why did you die for me!". She had not only redeemed herself but him as well.

Well thats just my crazy interpertation of it. Maybe one of these days I will buy the DVD abd see if there is a comentary that explains it.

Comment

But killing her helped to purge away all his previous sins, and get him started for a new life as an innocent. He killed her, I tell you, he killed her! And it wasn't "Not for me!", it was "Not for me?"
                              sum ergo cogitum
                              I am therefore I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X