PDA

View Full Version : BSG Weapons discussion

spg_1983
April 30th, 2005, 04:26 PM
so it seems to me that they have to kinds of small arms. they have regular projectile weapons like what boomer blew her cheek out with and then they have some sort of advanced gun that they seem to only use on a planet, like the one helo shot boomer with. my thinking is that it is some form of gauss gun because it doesnt seem to be a pure energy weapon. there is a flash of blue when they fire it whoch could be the discharge from it being accelerated. it would make sense then for them to only use those guns planet side because they could easily punch a hole in the hull from the inside if they fired one on board ship. the damage to boomers shoulder was also much greater than from a conventional projectile. what does everyone else think? also any thoughts on why they dont have those type of weapons on the vipers or raiders? it seems like they only have regular canons on the fighters.

Darth Buddha
April 30th, 2005, 04:37 PM
I wasn't sure the weapons used on the planet weren't projectile as well.. but you could be right about a gauss gun.

Personally, I like the low tech approach. Laser guns, phasers, zats... it's all way out there. Projectile weapons will probably rule the very far distant future just as they do today.

spg_1983
April 30th, 2005, 04:56 PM
I wasn't sure the weapons used on the planet weren't projectile as well.. but you could be right about a gauss gun.

Personally, I like the low tech approach. Laser guns, phasers, zats... it's all way out there. Projectile weapons will probably rule the very far distant future just as they do today.
well i think part of it is the idea that they arent that far ahead of us technologically. sure they have space travel, but that is all based around an alien element, right? given access to that element and one or to changes in our history, we could very well be at the same level. other than FTL they really dont have anything that much more advanced then us, id say that they are maybe fifty years ahead of us technologically, omitting FTL travel, they still use nukes and bullets same as us.

Jeff O'Connor
April 30th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Fifty sounds like a good estimate, maybe even forty. The FTL Drive and a few other things make that theory rather plausable; of course, omitting the FTL because unless it turns out that in one half of a century, we all band together and figure out how to surpass the speed of light, well, that just blows us away.

At any rate, I would say that is a good projection; the flying ships all over the place and whatnot in Caprica from those scenes in the miniseries made me feel differently but in retrospect and in general, I agree.

Darth Buddha
April 30th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Do you really think in fifty years we'll be able to construct a craft with FTL, an aircraft carrier's worth of space fighters, artificial gravity, and commercial spaceflight AS WELL that has FTL?

Boy, you are way more optimistic than I am!

Jeff O'Connor
April 30th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Do you really think in fifty years we'll be able to construct a craft with FTL, an aircraft carrier's worth of space fighters, artificial gravity, and commercial spaceflight AS WELL that has FTL?

...touche.

All right, I was getting a tad ahead of myself there. What was meant in general, though, was that though our setting would be, given our apparent society, a lot more ground-based, I wouldn't be surprised if in half a century we have some of what's there. Commercial spaceflight? Check, actually. Space fighters... yeah, okay. But I think some of the technology behind the 'concept' will be there. Just... at much slower speeds and whatnot.

spg_1983
April 30th, 2005, 09:38 PM

when you take into account that those are based around an element we dont have acces too, sure why not? i forget the name but isnt the stuff they were after from that mine that was in cylon hands that they had to take over? if we had access to that stuff, sure.

Panther
May 1st, 2005, 06:25 PM
It takes the energy of several star systems to able to fold space. I think we're a fair way away from developing that kind of power source.

spg_1983
May 1st, 2005, 06:34 PM
It takes the energy of several star systems to able to fold space. I think we're a fair way away from developing that kind of power source.
given access to the element they use we could

Darth Buddha
May 1st, 2005, 08:14 PM
...touche.

All right, I was getting a tad ahead of myself there.
Touche? Hell, dude, I wish I COULD be that optimistic! Space flight in my potential (though not likely) lifetime? That'd be great. Personally, I don't see capitalism ever generating the kind of interest to get man into space in any substantive fashion, so it'll have to wait for the next great economic system to arise.

given access to the element they use we could
You are assuming that this element is the key. That may or may not be the case. BSG has NEVER been big on getting into the technology, in any incarnation. Not as much as Trek, not as much as Stargate.

Really? I wasn't aware that "folding space" had even been demonstrated to be feasible, much less the actual energy calculated to any FIRM amount! Sure, there's some highly speculative stuff... but if you've got a line on something concrete PLEASE LET ME IN ON IT!

spg_1983
May 1st, 2005, 08:23 PM
You are assuming that this element is the key. That may or may not be the case. BSG has NEVER been big on getting into the technology, in any incarnation. Not as much as Trek, not as much as Stargate.
good point, it is an assumption on my part that the element is the key, but lacking any additional information on how the system works i have to go with what info they have given us.

Dahak
May 5th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Even if hyperspace travel is pretty simple. One of those Earth is missing an element, humans have a blind spot and can't see the obvious, or another one of the classic SF plots there is still a lot of things missing before we can travel to another solar system. Artificial gravity is very useful and also inertial compensators. It isn't very useful to be able to travel good percentages of lightspeed if it takes you 2 years to get to that point. Some type of shielding other than lots of steel would also be very useful. Oh well, it would be nice and hopefully Earth will actually work on this.

BruTak
May 5th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Your pardon for getting this threrad back on track, but after careful scrutinisation of my Galactica DVDs, I've managed to identify some of the weapons used in the series.

The pistol used by Colonial pilots appears to be a 9mm Walther P99, but with a second smaller barrel (signal flares?).

The carbines used by the Marines in "Bastille Day" is the civillian version of the 5.7mm FN Herstal P90.

The rifles used by the Marines on ceremonial occasions is the British made 5.56mm Lee Enfield SA80 (don't start me on what a piece of junk this thing is...), but with white "furniture".

The pistol Galactica Boomer used to try and kill herself appear to be a member of the Glock family of 9mm automatics, possibly a Glock 19 or a Glock 26.

Darth Buddha
May 5th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Good eyes, BruTak... so you are saying ALL we've seen from the Colonials are projectile weapons, both handheld and in space? Of course, we KNOW they have fusion bombs, but haven't seen them use them yet.

Thor's Gunner
May 5th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Your pardon for getting this threrad back on track, but after careful scrutinisation of my Galactica DVDs, I've managed to identify some of the weapons used in the series.

The pistol used by Colonial pilots appears to be a 9mm Walther P99, but with a second smaller barrel (signal flares?).

The carbines used by the Marines in "Bastille Day" is the civillian version of the 5.7mm FN Herstal P90.

The rifles used by the Marines on ceremonial occasions is the British made 5.56mm Lee Enfield SA80 (don't start me on what a piece of junk this thing is...), but with white "furniture".

The pistol Galactica Boomer used to try and kill herself appear to be a member of the Glock family of 9mm automatics, possibly a Glock 19 or a Glock 26.
Alright basically marine guards carry P90's, on board galactica the psitols as you said do appear to be walther P99's, SA80's are used on ceremonial occasions though i doubt they have nay on galactica. And as for the gun Helo has, im going to say high impact rounds are in his gun, so in other words bullets that explode of impact but only as small explosion. Thats an educated guess.

spg_1983
May 6th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Alright basically marine guards carry P90's, on board galactica the psitols as you said do appear to be walther P99's, SA80's are used on ceremonial occasions though i doubt they have nay on galactica. And as for the gun Helo has, im going to say high impact rounds are in his gun, so in other words bullets that explode of impact but only as small explosion. Thats an educated guess.then how do you explain the blue flash of energy when he discharges?

TheUniqueDrone
May 7th, 2005, 12:04 PM
The blue flash of energy could be a high-heat flame produced from a combustion process. If anyone's used a Bunsen burner on its highest heat setting, the flame appears blue, similarly to a Bunsen burner flame.
I think the technological capabilities of the Colonies have not been demonstrated fully in the show. Ronald D. Moore, either in a podcast or in his blog, said that the BSG was comparitively basic in its technology as it was designed to combat the Cylons, enemies that were able to manipulate complex computer systems but did relatively less damage to less technologically advanced computer systems. It was stated that Colonial technology and civilistation was highly developed and advanced, but the technology found in Battlestar Galactica, the show, was not demonstrative of the overall limits of Colonial achievements in either of the aforementioned fields.
In my opinion, the theory that Colonial civilisation is only 50 years more advanced than ours is highly speculative, as Colonial civilistation has already produced artificial intelligence, in the form of the Cylons, travelled interstellar distances, probably for a considerable length of time, and has technology capable of allowing starships to travel at faster-than-light speeds and produce fields of artificial gravity. I would speculate the Colonial civilisation would be more advanced than us, relativily, by possibly two, maybe more, centuries.

Anubis345
May 7th, 2005, 05:07 PM
i thought they used projectiles that were fired faster by a huge energy burst to propell the weapons bullet faster i think

TheUniqueDrone
May 8th, 2005, 01:25 AM
I don't think that the BSG sidearms are gauss guns because, realistically, I don't think gauss guns probably would produce any visible energy discharge. The discharge seems more like a burst of heat caused by combustion.

BruTak
May 8th, 2005, 07:34 AM
I don't think that the BSG sidearms are gauss guns because, realistically, I don't think gauss guns probably would produce any visible energy discharge. The discharge seems more like a burst of heat caused by combustion.
Could it be that the Colonial small arms use caseless ammo? I've never seen any empty shell casings rattling around, have you?

TheUniqueDrone
May 8th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Could it be that the Colonial small arms use caseless ammo? I've never seen any empty shell casings rattling around, have you?

Yeah, probably, and the seem to have explosive tips, as they seem to cause a residual explosive effect after the initial impact.

Darth Buddha
May 8th, 2005, 05:31 PM
If you want to judge how advanced the Colonials are without the "back to basics" bias of Galactica, try using the Cylons as reference instead. They don't have to worry about being jammed, reprogrammed, or otherwise hampered by the colonials, so they can use the "best" and "brightest". Thus they provide a reasonable "upper bound" on the Colonial capabilities. The Colonials may be LESS technologically capable but they certainly wouldn't be MORE technologically capable than the Cylons.

The Cylons don't use beam weapons. Their handheld weapons are also projectile weapons. They also use fusion weapons to take out larger space faring vessels.

(I hate the word "advanced"... after all, would a technological species that is morally and ethically bankrupt be more "advanced" than a utopian society with simpler technology? Not by my standards!)