This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Earth Made" ZPMs

Is the device out of “the fifth race” is it an earth made ZPM? We don’t posses the device any more since “the other side” but even so we still should have notes on it maybe enough to make another one. If it’s not a ZPM it could still be the means for returning to earth at will given it purpose in “the fifth race”.

It was not a ZPM, it used liquid naquadah as a power source, a Zero Point Module uses vacum energy. Nobody except for O'Neill really understood how it worked, so I don't think that they could have reverse engineered another one.

However it is a viable power source, but the way O'Neill built it, he put safeguards on it so it could only be used once in each reality. If we could figure out how to make one without the safegurds, it would be very usefull, however, we can't, but it is good to think of as many options as we can.

Owen Macri

Comment

ok then is simple go to the Alternate reality in which they gave it to bring it back. They already know how to reset it so the you go. they found that out in point of view or rather we found that out in point of view.

Comment

It isn't that they can reset it, it "imprints" the reality in which it is used, in it so it can only be used in each reality at once, this may or may not have been intentional. They could try to find a relality where they still have thier device, and then take it back to thier reality. However they would not do this because they would have to send people to every reality untill they found one that still had thiers. With an infinite number of realities, it would be an almost unending search, and the chances of finding one would be very small.

Owen Macri

Comment

However, if they could find one, it would be usefull, but only once.

Owen Macri

Comment

Have as Asgard research team look at it. If it can be "imprinted," it can also be "unprinted."
            "Thermodynamics is the only physical theory of universal content which, within the framework of the applicability of its basic concepts, I am convinced will never be overthrown." — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
              It was not a ZPM, it used liquid naquadah as a power source, a Zero Point Module uses vacum energy. Nobody except for O'Neill really understood how it worked, so I don't think that they could have reverse engineered another one.

However it is a viable power source, but the way O'Neill built it, he put safeguards on it so it could only be used once in each reality. If we could figure out how to make one without the safegurds, it would be very usefull, however, we can't, but it is good to think of as many options as we can.

Once in each reality? But it wasn't built for traversing realities; it was built for traversing the distance between the Milkyway and the Idan galaxies.(Where is Pegasus in regard to Ida, anyway?)

I agree with you, OM, that marka480 is on to something (no, actually, I'm kinda jealous; why didn't I think of that? )Jack built the device entirely of materials found on base, and Sam and other scientists at the SGC and no doubt the Area 51 facility(including, perhaps, McKay?) have studied it.

Sam retains the knowledge of how to make one work; it should be a simple affair of building a new one and applying whatever principles the two Carters babbled on about in POV to make it work.

Right?
              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Their probably was something that O'Neill added in that they couldn't figure out, otherwise they probably would have built one by now.

As for it being made of only materials found on the base, The ancients were good at improvising, look at Orin, he built a stargate with only stuff that you can find on Earth. He didn't use a spec of naquadah.

Owen Macri

Comment

Also I know that it wasn't meant for inter-reality travel, that is exactly why it worked in the atlernate reality. O'Neill only wanted it to work once, however he didn't count on them taking it to another reality, so he didn't stick in safeguards either.

The idea about giving it to the Asgard is smart, however, at the time we wern't very good friends with the asgard, and now that we are, we don't have it anymore.

Owen Macri

Comment

A lttile off-topic, but to Tok'ra Hostess, I like your signature, the story about the wolves.

Owen Macri

Comment

Look at it this way: It was about as close to a ZPM Jack could build with the components he had. The Liquid Naquadah was a component, not the power source. I mean, even your gasoline engine needs a battery to start

Where do you come up with this information? The device worked once. The Carter twins got it to work again, but it is by no means a viable power source.
                      The device only worked once for us likely because of the components used (ie, off the shelf parts). It has nothing to do with safeguards that Jack didn't built in.
                      Also, the device was about as far away from viable as you can possibly get without the thing not working at all. It is not a viable form of power production. It's a technical curiosity at best.

We're a long long way from building our own ZPMs. I mean, the team regularly uses Naquada reactors, which are based on fission. After you get fission as advanced as you possibly can, you have fusion. Once you take fusion to it's theorectical limits, you have antimatter. After you take antimatter to it's limits, then you're in ZPM territory.
                      There's alot of development needed in other areas before we start building our own ZPMs. Lots of science we still don't understand.

PS: Owen, you only need to post once. If you have an addition, use the edit feature.
                      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Perhaps the device enhanced the power of the liquid naqudah.

Unfortunatly we don't know what kind of energy production the device used, however I still believe that it is a viable power source, it is the only device that we have seen, other than asgard technology, and the ZPM's that can supply power to an intergalactic wormhole. Not to mention it can be built with everything that we have acces to, liquid naquadah is a bit hard to come by, but we can still get it. About it being as far away from viable as possible, I don't agree with that, as I have said before, it is the only device that is capable of emiting that much power, other than technology that is asgard or ancient, even the Goa'uld don't have technology like that. I agree, it is a curiosity but it could also be a major step forward in energy production, if we could figure out how it works, with the knowledge and acces to technology that we have now compared to in season two, I believe that we could modify it to be at least the equivilent of a Mark 5 naquadah reactor, possibly more.

You said it yourself,
                        Originally posted by Jarnin
                        We're a long long way from building our own ZPMs.
                        The O'Neill device, maybe not so much.

I will edit my posts next time, I normally do that, however I was strapped for time, and it was easier for me to make a seprate quick reply, it doesn't hurt anyone.

Owen Macri

Comment

I'm sorry I havn't seen the episode in a while, so I checked the transcript to see exactly what the Carters did to fix the device. Unfortunatley O'Neill cuts them off each time they start talking because they confuse him, but from what I got I figured out what happend.

The device created a modulated dampening field around the liquid naquadah, they don't go into furthur detail but I can assume that the dampening field increases the potential energy of the naquadah, so inside the dampening field the one mL of liquid naqudah would equal 1000 mL, this is probably not the actualy ratio of conversion, but it is an example, that is all that it was meant to be, after the potential energy yield has been increased the device can simply work like a nquadah reactor, so I was right it is a very powerful nquadah reactor.

Now the reason that the device didn't work anymore was because the modulation of the dampening field was "thrown out of whack" as one of the carters said, when energy was drawn from it and then it was shut of, this means that the modulation of the dampening field was changed to another modulation possibly increasing or decreasing the yield of the naqudah, however the device was only designed to work using the one modulation that was set when the device was created. So all that they needed to do was reset the modulation of the dampening field after each use, so not bringing it back from the alternate reality was a stupid move, because it was still an extremly large and viable power source, seeing as it used the power source from a staff weapon to power an 8 chevron lock.

Carter said that she found the modulation of the dampening field by anylizing the decay ratio of naquadah in thier regualr reactors. They didn't go into more detail on how they did this, but suffice it to say, they now know the modulation and could have used the device a million times over, simply replacing the liquid naquadah when it runs out. This makes the O'Neill device a far more practical source of energy for long distance gate travel than a ZPM, I don't know if it would power Atlantis but it would definetly get the team home. They really should have kept it and had no reason what so ever to leave it, Carter MUST have had some injury to the head, she would never make a move like that.

Owen Macri

P.S. To have the device power something larger such as Atlantis, all that they need to do is backwards engineer the device, to figure out exactly how it works. Then they can build another one which uses a dampening field with an either higher or lower modulation, whichever one increases the yield of the liguid naquadah, then they could hook it up to Atlantis. They would only need one power source, or two, depending on how many liquid naquadah cartridges they used, to power all of Atlantis, and still have tons of energy to spare. But then there would be no story.

Owen Macri
                          Last edited by _Owen_; 06 May 2005, 07:41 PM. Reason: spelling, adding something

Comment

The ancient database in Atlantis is huge so im pretty sure somewhere in there there are the specs for the ZPMs and how to make them. Im sure with the asgards help they could make a makeshift one perhaps not as powerfull, just like O'niell did with the Replicator Disruptor.
                            Spoiler:
                            sigpic

Comment

Two word response:

Not flippin' likely.

Okay, that was three. No, the ZPM's are just way over our head. There's no way us nor the Asgard could make heads or tails out of it at present time. It will be a long time until we can make our own.

Comment

Working...
                              X