Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recycled Plot Elements from the Original Series AFTER the miniseries in SEASON 1

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recycled Plot Elements from the Original Series AFTER the miniseries in SEASON 1

The set up for the new BSG is of course very similar to the original series, but what about elements after the miniseries set-up? Ron Moore seems to be sifting throught he old series of Battlestar Galactica and even the very weak Galactica 1980 for plot elements - even if they are interpreted in wholly different ways.

In the BSG original, most of the (all male) pilots get sick and female warriors (remember, this was the late 70's) are trained as their replacements. In the BSG re-image, a large number of pilots are wounded or killed by an ordinance explosion in the hangar deck, and again, replacements (this time various misfits) are trained to take their places. Same surface story, with the second take being much grittier, involving a lot more character issues for the main characters.

In Galactica 1980, Starbuck is marooned on a planet along with a downed Cylon Raider. He attempts to build an escape craft with the use of parts from his Viper and the Raider in combination. In the new BSG, we have Starbuck yet again shot down and marooned on a planet with a Cylon Raider, and this time, she escapes by using a Cylon Raider. Very different stories, but on the surface, very similar.

In Battlestar Galactica the original, the last episode of Season 1 (before cancellation and re-imaging as Galactica 1980), the Galactica goes up against a Cylon Base Star. Starbuck and Apollo land inside, place a bomb to blind the Base Star's sensors, and escape. In the new BSG, we have Boomer instead being the one to land inside and plant a bomb. Again, vastly different stories, but with some surface similarities.

Are there any other parallel's that folks can think of from new BSG Season 1 to either the BSG original or Galactica 1980?

Never did see too terribly much of the original, so I can't say I'll be adding anything, but, nice catches nevertheless B-man.
    If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

ive only seen "Gun on Ice Planet Zero" 1 and 2 and this one where they found some guy that was very ANcient like and they met up with some Ascended like beings. so i cant really say, but if they are recycling some plot ideas, its probably not a bad idea, there were alot of good ideas they had, so it makes sense to use good material.

Comment

Not ascended or ancient. They were "The Great Powers".... of which Count Iblis was a fallen member who had chosen to interfere ... but couldn't use his powers on anyone who didn't follow him.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
          Not ascended or ancient. They were "The Great Powers".... of which Count Iblis was a fallen member who had chosen to interfere ... but couldn't use his powers on anyone who didn't follow him.
          "The Great Powers" were higher beings with rules about non interference right? thats very Ascended like to me. im not saying stargate stole the idea, the whole higher beings thing is a classic sci fi cliche. i was just pointing out the similarity

Comment

Yep.. a good point out... I was just backing it up in terms of how they were different... they CAN interfere if somebody follows/believes in them. Too bad Stargate didn't choose to allow that kind of loophole.. perhaps the Ascended would be a bit more interesting if they had!

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
              Yep.. a good point out... I was just backing it up in terms of how they were different... they CAN interfere if somebody follows/believes in them. Too bad Stargate didn't choose to allow that kind of loophole.. perhaps the Ascended would be a bit more interesting if they had!
              yeah i wish they had done something like that with the ancients too. it would have made them more than "we are all powerful but better than you so you are on your own!"

Comment

I know it says season one, but Starbuck's current situation with being stuck on Caprica is probably more similiar to the Galactica 1980 episode than 'You Can't Go Home Again'.

Starbuck made friends with that Cylon in the 1980 ep yes? And Starbuck and Boomer in the new one are friends. And now both (plus Helo) are marooned on a planet searching for a way off.

Comment

The episode: The Hand Of God, was a direct transition from 1980-->2005, well mostly.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                  [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                    The episode: The Hand Of God, was a direct transition from 1980-->2005, well mostly.
                    Yep... thanks for getting the name. I had forgotten it, AND the fact that the names were the same!

Comment

I think Roslin mentioned that she read the popular mystery novel "Murder on the Rising Star". That was an episode title from the original.

Comment

Working...
                      X