PDA

View Full Version : What if the Asgard finally found a solution to their cloning problems?

Elwe Singollo
June 5th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Do you think the Asgard would be better at helping when in need?

Mr Prophet
June 5th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Not really. The cloning issue means that the Asgard are running out of genetic stock and suffering from bad copy. There are no new Asgard, and they are dying out, but cloning could not instantly replenish their population. A new clone would be mindless; it would need some form of education, either accelerated or normal speed, but either way there would be a substantial time investment unless you were prepared to make copies of personae.

Thor II (This Time it's Personal). Or maybe Beta Ray Bill!

Elwe Singollo
June 5th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Not really. The cloning issue means that the Asgard are running out of genetic stock and suffering from bad copy. There are no new Asgard, and they are dying out, but cloning could not instantly replenish their population. A new clone would be mindless; it would need some form of education, either accelerated or normal speed, but either way there would be a substantial time investment unless you were prepared to make copies of personae.

Thor II (This Time it's Personal). Or maybe Beta Ray Bill!Oh yah, i forgot about putting the minds of a previous asgard alien into another body... Waht if they found a new way to reproduce then?

Mr Prophet
June 5th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Still going to be a slow upturn, rather than a sudden swing.

SGSlugger
June 5th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Could not they just engineer a clone of the ancenstor of theirs that they found?

What about just genetically modifiying themselves to be able to reproduce?

Elwe Singollo
June 5th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Could not they just engineer a clone of the ancenstor of theirs that they found?

What about just genetically modifiying themselves to be able to reproduce?Me thinking the samething! But, i bet there would be 'technical' difficulties... sadly... :o

Mio
June 5th, 2004, 12:22 PM
There's probably some kind of genetic breakdown after 30k years.

SGSlugger
June 5th, 2004, 12:29 PM
I'm not a geneticist (spelled right? looks wrong...) but wouldn't they be able to splice in some of that DNA and genes from their recently discovered ancestor? It may set back their evolution a few years (even if they did evolve) but atleast you'd be able to naturally reproduce.

Mr Prophet
June 5th, 2004, 12:50 PM
I think there's a shelf-life on DNA, although I'm not sure what it is or how conditions affect it. I remember something about the Ice Man they found frozen in the mountains maybe having viable...erm, specimens.

ShadowMaat
June 5th, 2004, 12:52 PM
I think there's a shelf-life on DNA, although I'm not sure what it is or how conditions affect it. I remember something about the Ice Man they found frozen in the mountains maybe having viable...erm, specimens.
Yeah, but that was only preserved in old-fashioned ice. If a body is in a stasis chamber or hypersleep tube or whatever... hard to say what effect that would have on things. Assuming that's what the big guy was in.

Mr Prophet
June 5th, 2004, 12:52 PM
But since he was dead I figure the tube must have gone wrong.

ShadowMaat
June 5th, 2004, 12:54 PM
But since he was dead I figure the tube must have gone wrong.
Was he dead dead, or only mostly dead? ;) Maybe he was just a mass of partially living tissue with no brain functions or something. The tube kept on doing whatever it does even though there was nothing really left to do it to... OK, maybe not. ;) It was just an idea... hehe

Mr Prophet
June 5th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Given the shortage of miracle men in the immediate area, I guess it's pretty academic; and he doesn't have any pockets to rifle for change. :)

On a more serious (?) note, one elderly corpse isn't likely to provide the genetic material to 'fix' an entire race of shaky clones. It might give them some pointers, but if they'd already started their cloning at that stage, you'd think they'd have genetic records. They strike me as pretty obsessive bookkeepers.

ShadowMaat
June 5th, 2004, 01:08 PM
I still think that studying Jonas's genes could have helped them. :mad: And I agree- one oldbie wouldn't have done much good but as you said, it could have helped to point them in the right direction.

I wonder why the Ancients don't lend a hand. Part of their non-interference policy, maybe? Think the A-team would be able to convince any of the Atlanteans to submit a few samples for study? Maybe once they get to know them better. ;)

Mr Prophet
June 5th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Well, if Jack's genetic funkery is a result of a resurgent Ancient genetic strain, and that doesn't really help the Asgard, I'm not sure a bunch of other human genetic samples with added Ancientness would help.

At some point I plan to write a fanfic about the darker side of Asgard genetic research, but not until I get over the sting of my Loki getting Jossed for that lightweight.

ShadowMaat
June 5th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Well, if Jack's genetic funkery is a result of a resurgent Ancient genetic strain, and that doesn't really help the Asgard, I'm not sure a bunch of other human genetic samples with added Ancientness would help.
I just figured Jack wasn't good enough. Or pure enough. :P If there's no point in looking for answers in the human genome, then how come Loki was still testing us?

Mr Prophet
June 5th, 2004, 01:31 PM
No idea; I'm in denial about Asgard Loki.

Actually, the question is not unrelated to the fic I have in mind, which relates to some not-altogether savoury processes long since abandoned by polite society. I mostly figure that Loki was sniffing up a genetic cul-de-sac.

Elwe Singollo
June 5th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Maybe the Asgard will find the answer in the distant future... Where i'm already dead...

ALSO

I just realized Shadow, we have the same birthdate, but of course, the years are different :)

Madeleine
June 5th, 2004, 09:59 PM
I read the title of this thread as "What if the Asgard finally found a solution to their cleaning problems?".

Is their Shake 'n' Vac not working? I thought. Or have they discovered that a Hoover won't work when the bag's full, and that Hoover bags aren't sold in their part of the universe? Or maybe their habit of not wearing shoes and socks means that they trample mud into the house every time they get home. This thread must be about the invention of The Shoe by a houseproud Asgard, I thought.

Torley
June 5th, 2004, 10:19 PM
I heard a rumor Thor is about to pull a big endor$ement deal for Swiffer Wetjets!!

The new Flagship of the Asgard Fleet will even be shaped like one, and designed to clean out the scum of the galaxy!

*special: buy two and get an extra Anti-Replicator bonus refill pack for free!

Elwe Singollo
June 5th, 2004, 10:21 PM
I heard a rumor Thor is about to pull a big endor$ement deal for Swiffer Wetjets!!

The new Flagship of the Asgard Fleet will even be shaped like one, and designed to clean out the scum of the galaxy!

*special: buy two and get an extra Anti-Replicator bonus refill pack for free!Hahah :D I love that idea

g.o.d
June 5th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Asgard definetly need Ayiana's body:-)what happen to her?Was she bureid?

Elwe Singollo
June 6th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Asgard definetly need Ayiana's body:-)what happen to her?Was she bureid?I think she just 'died', haha... Good idea... :)

Anubis
June 6th, 2004, 06:45 AM
She did just die from curing the others that had the kind of virus

Elwe Singollo
June 6th, 2004, 06:46 AM
She did just die from curing the others that had the kind of virusIf she didn't, HORROR, we would all die :(

Anubis
June 6th, 2004, 06:52 AM
I think Jonas had a 'thing' going for Ayiana, if I remember correctly

Elwe Singollo
June 6th, 2004, 06:56 AM
I think Jonas had a 'thing' going for Ayiana, if I remember correctlyI thought so too, sad, she died :( Did she die in front of him? Hmm, i'm gonna have to wip out my DVD..

ShadowMaat
June 6th, 2004, 06:58 AM
I thought so too, sad, she died :( Did she die in front of him? Hmm, i'm gonna have to wip out my DVD..
She went into arrest and Jonas was shoved out of the way by the doctors, so yes, she died right there in front of him.

I think the real question isn't whether or not she died, but what happened to the body?? Buried, cremated, autopsied, dissected, what?

Elwe Singollo
June 6th, 2004, 06:59 AM
She went into arrest and Jonas was shoved out of the way by the doctors, so yes, she died right there in front of him.

I think the real question isn't whether or not she died, but what happened to the body?? Buried, cremated, autopsied, dissected, what?They probably stuffed her body in a bag, and put her into one of the morgues there... But wait, that would be a 'risk', shock, they probably cremated her, but i don't like that idea :(

Teal'c
June 6th, 2004, 07:11 AM
They may have cremated her body because of the virus, or they may have shipped her out to Area 51 for study...

Elwe Singollo
June 6th, 2004, 07:22 AM
They may have cremated her body because of the virus, or they may have shipped her out to Area 51 for study...I'm more on the side of the cremation, because i'm not sure about studying a body that can make you catch a disease...

ShadowMaat
June 6th, 2004, 07:25 AM
I'm more on the side of the cremation, because i'm not sure about studying a body that can make you catch a disease...
People at the CDC and similar places study violently contagious, deadly viruses all the time, even in their "raw" form. Studying an infected alien body wouldn't be that much different... and it might help lead them to a cure, in case the disease ever appeared again.

Or, it could be investigated and modified into a bioweapon... which is probably what it was in the first place... :P

Anubis
June 6th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Poor Jonas. I sensed that Aiyana liked him too

Elwe Singollo
June 6th, 2004, 07:26 AM
People at the CDC and similar places study violently contagious, deadly viruses all the time, even in their "raw" form. Studying an infected alien body wouldn't be that much different... and it might help lead them to a cure, in case the disease ever appeared again.

Or, it could be investigated and modified into a bioweapon... which is probably what it was in the first place... :POh yes, those dirty CDC, forgot about those people... I think the bioweapon part is an also clever thought... Hmm, those naughty 'bioweapon' thinker makers!

ShadowMaat
June 6th, 2004, 07:33 AM
Jonas is very happy with his "research assistant" at Stargate Command. :P

And to drag this back on topic... :P

Have we figured out why the Asgard are interested in human genetics, anyway? Does that imply that we share enough in common with them on a genetic level to be of potential use to them? Hmmm... ignoring for the moment the possiblility of Asgards snatching humans and downloading themselves into them, I wonder if this means that there IS something to that question of whether the Four Races are a lot more closely related than we realize.

Maybe each race represents an iteration of an original stock race. First time around, they look like the Ancients, next time the Asgard, next time the Furlings, then the Nox, then humans... I wonder how all the other aliens fit into the Big Picture...

Or maybe it's just another example of parallel evolution.

Elwe Singollo
June 6th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Good theory :) Maybe the 'human' body is just more compatible or something, compared to the other kinds of species' bodies?

ShadowMaat
June 6th, 2004, 07:43 AM
Maybe the 'human' body is just more compatible or something, compared to the other kinds of species' bodies?
But WHY? We aren't even from the same planet (at least as far as we know). How can we have that much genetically in common with an alien species?

Elwe Singollo
June 6th, 2004, 08:31 AM
But WHY? We aren't even from the same planet (at least as far as we know). How can we have that much genetically in common with an alien species?Its one of those 'unexplained' things, but maybe its what 'they prefer' or something.

Torley
June 6th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Yeah some origins of stuff should not be revealed because as I think Trance Gemini from Andromeda said (someone help me with the exact quote here), "Mystery is my powerful ally!"

ShadowMaat
June 6th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Yeah some origins of stuff should not be revealed because as I think Trance Gemini from Andromeda said (someone help me with the exact quote here), "Mystery is my powerful ally!"
In my opinion, there's a fine line between "mystery for the sake of plot development" and "mystery because TPTB don't know what they're doing" and I'd like to have a few more answers so I can determine which category Stargate falls into. :P

Elwe Singollo
June 6th, 2004, 09:56 AM
In my opinion, there's a fine line between "mystery for the sake of plot development" and "mystery because TPTB don't know what they're doing" and I'd like to have a few more answers so I can determine which category Stargate falls into. :PMaybe you should make your own sci-fi show ;) It'll show them!

Torley
June 6th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Hahaha... well to be fair, I'd like to see more Asgard home life yeah -- and how Thor spends his days off-duty, that IS a valid question. Just because they're aliens doesn't mean they get off-time :) And maybe a backstory saying how HE got to be Supreme Commander and all, I mean, he must have come to this rank after a long time because he passes from one clone body into another. Maybe they could give Earth some cloning advice about "ethics" and stuff. Or another episode with Thor's name in it like the preceeding "Hammer" and "Chariot" to finish off the trilogy, ex. Thor trusts O'Neill and the Tau'ri enough now to reveal the secret history of the Asgard to them.

I don't like when TPTB don't know what they're doing either, kind of sad and it negates the value of the show for me.

Elwe Singollo
June 6th, 2004, 10:05 AM
I don't like when TPTB don't know what they're doing either, kind of sad and it negates the value of the show for me.How exactly do you guys know when 'they dont' know what they're doing'? Well nevermind, i can see how you guys can get to that conclusion :)

ShadowMaat
June 6th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Since it occurs to me that I may not have actually answered the original question... even if the Asgard found a solution, I don't think they'd be any more helpful to us. Finding a solution to the problem isn't the same as the problem being solved and I don't think that they should have to come running every time we have a problem. How are we as a species going to learn to cope with our place in galactic society if we cry for help at every little issue?

I wish that genetics in general would be more thoroughly dealt with on the show- where these "rare genes" that some humans have came from, why the Asgard are looking to humans to help with their own problems and exactly what-all happened to the Ancients. I'm also intensely curious about Jonas's role in things and whether or not ALL the people of his planet are "different" or if there's something particularly unique about Jonas himself, but I've pretty much resigned myself to never getting any answers to THAT. *sigh* :(

Elwe Singollo
June 6th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Well, it just came to me, in one episode or so, not sure which one, its giving me a headache to think, maybe once humans have evolved further, or something, the Asgard will be able to solve their problem. I do agree, i'm not really sure what differently Asgard can do once they find a solution to their problem(s).

martyarizona
March 19th, 2005, 10:31 AM
It's too bad SG-1 didn't contact the asgard when they found that girl in the ice. Since she was an ancestor of the ancients she could have probably provide a lot of good research for the asgard for cloning. They could have cloned her also and used her body to hold their conscienceness since she was probably advanced enough.

Could you imagine Thor as an attractive woman, that would just be weird.

Croatoan
March 19th, 2005, 12:47 PM
I just figured Jack wasn't good enough. Or pure enough. :P If there's no point in looking for answers in the human genome, then how come Loki was still testing us?

Actually there are others who have stronger ties to the ancestors in their genes like John Sheppard on Atlantis. Suppossedly he has the most potent gene that they have detected thus far in any they have tested including oneill.