Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if the Asgard finally found a solution to their cloning problems?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if the Asgard finally found a solution to their cloning problems?

Do you think the Asgard would be better at helping when in need?
    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Not really. The cloning issue means that the Asgard are running out of genetic stock and suffering from bad copy. There are no new Asgard, and they are dying out, but cloning could not instantly replenish their population. A new clone would be mindless; it would need some form of education, either accelerated or normal speed, but either way there would be a substantial time investment unless you were prepared to make copies of personae.

Thor II (This Time it's Personal). Or maybe Beta Ray Bill!
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
      Not really. The cloning issue means that the Asgard are running out of genetic stock and suffering from bad copy. There are no new Asgard, and they are dying out, but cloning could not instantly replenish their population. A new clone would be mindless; it would need some form of education, either accelerated or normal speed, but either way there would be a substantial time investment unless you were prepared to make copies of personae.

Thor II (This Time it's Personal). Or maybe Beta Ray Bill!
      Oh yah, i forgot about putting the minds of a previous asgard alien into another body... Waht if they found a new way to reproduce then?

Comment

Still going to be a slow upturn, rather than a sudden swing.

Comment

Could not they just engineer a clone of the ancenstor of theirs that they found?

What about just genetically modifiying themselves to be able to reproduce?
          Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
          Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
          Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
          Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
          Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
          Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
          Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

Originally posted by SGSlugger
            Could not they just engineer a clone of the ancenstor of theirs that they found?

What about just genetically modifiying themselves to be able to reproduce?
            Me thinking the samething! But, i bet there would be 'technical' difficulties... sadly...

Comment

There's probably some kind of genetic breakdown after 30k years.
              sigpic

Comment

I'm not a geneticist (spelled right? looks wrong...) but wouldn't they be able to splice in some of that DNA and genes from their recently discovered ancestor? It may set back their evolution a few years (even if they did evolve) but atleast you'd be able to naturally reproduce.
                Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
                Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
                Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
                Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
                Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
                Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
                Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

I think there's a shelf-life on DNA, although I'm not sure what it is or how conditions affect it. I remember something about the Ice Man they found frozen in the mountains maybe having viable...erm, specimens.

Comment

I think there's a shelf-life on DNA, although I'm not sure what it is or how conditions affect it. I remember something about the Ice Man they found frozen in the mountains maybe having viable...erm, specimens.
                    Yeah, but that was only preserved in old-fashioned ice. If a body is in a stasis chamber or hypersleep tube or whatever... hard to say what effect that would have on things. Assuming that's what the big guy was in.

Comment

But since he was dead I figure the tube must have gone wrong.

Comment

But since he was dead I figure the tube must have gone wrong.
                        Was he dead dead, or only mostly dead? Maybe he was just a mass of partially living tissue with no brain functions or something. The tube kept on doing whatever it does even though there was nothing really left to do it to... OK, maybe not. It was just an idea... hehe

Comment

Given the shortage of miracle men in the immediate area, I guess it's pretty academic; and he doesn't have any pockets to rifle for change.

On a more serious (?) note, one elderly corpse isn't likely to provide the genetic material to 'fix' an entire race of shaky clones. It might give them some pointers, but if they'd already started their cloning at that stage, you'd think they'd have genetic records. They strike me as pretty obsessive bookkeepers.

Comment

I still think that studying Jonas's genes could have helped them. And I agree- one oldbie wouldn't have done much good but as you said, it could have helped to point them in the right direction.

I wonder why the Ancients don't lend a hand. Part of their non-interference policy, maybe? Think the A-team would be able to convince any of the Atlanteans to submit a few samples for study? Maybe once they get to know them better.

Comment

Well, if Jack's genetic funkery is a result of a resurgent Ancient genetic strain, and that doesn't really help the Asgard, I'm not sure a bunch of other human genetic samples with added Ancientness would help.

At some point I plan to write a fanfic about the darker side of Asgard genetic research, but not until I get over the sting of my Loki getting Jossed for that lightweight.

Comment

Working...
                              X