This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Carter Conundrum

So the speculation rages. Where in the world is Carmen SanDiego.. ?!

Er... Sam Carter.

Well the obvious long-story-short is that Carter is conspicuously absent in the beginning of Season 9 because (Dea Ex Machina) she has to be. Amanda Tapping had a beautiful baby girl. Whether beamed, flown, driven or cosmically teleported, Sam simply can't be at the SGC (in body, at least).

So if she is initially ‘gone’, but will be ‘ back’, then where the heck is she? What did they do with her? And far more importantly… why isn’t she shackled to a bed with Jack?!

Before we get to those burning questions, something I thought I'd drop (like a heavy metal slug) in the middle of this bucket, is the notion of new beginnings. Of course, it's all boring and character-related. Not a single Asgard mothership in the mix. However, Season 8 was the finale of a 'chapter' within the Stargate SG-1 universe. If we were reading an epic novel comprised of several 'books' within the same volume (Book I, Book II, etc...), we might imagine that we were beginning "Book II" at this point, with Season 9.

We also have to remember that the ongoing story-arc is a catalyst. Each of the core characters has a personal backstory. That backstory is what brought them together to begin with. Necessity and personal choice drove them to forge an alliance. Now, after many adventures, they’ve completed one journey as a collective, and must (necessarily) move on.

At this point, each character is irrevocably changed. Their backstories have merged with their comrades for the period of the original journey, but their personal histories must still be driving them towards new choices. That creates conflict. It’s formulaic of good storytelling. And any worthwhile narrative would demand as much.

The story-arc follows (and in some cases drives) the maturation of each character’s personal development. They would naturally grow restless as their personal motivations continue to pull them each in varying directions.

This is why at the end of Season 8, we begin to see Teal’c struggle with issues of loyalty that divide his interest, (perhaps unfairly at times), between his friends and ‘his people’. That’s only going to grow more complicated.

After so many years together, we also see a point in the story where the lines of leadership have begun to grey. Jack was “in command” because the Air Force hierarchy of the SGC demanded and established his leadership between the four of them. But after so many years as a singular unit, each member of SG-1 has (arguably) come into their own. The status quo cannot be maintained without disservice to the characters. It’s now necessary for new friendships to form; for old friends to be reminisced over. And for priorities to change. New conflicts help that along.

Carter’s character has gone through a tremendous series of life-altering revelations, culminating at the end of Season 8. She’s no longer ‘the junior’ member of the team. She’s discovered that she has less to prove. She’s more willing to take risks as both an officer and on a personal level (we saw her ‘blackmail’ Dr. Weir to save Jack’s life in the beginning of Season 8, for example). And she’s coming to terms with her own sense of self-worth.

The death of her father was a vehicle for her character, but by no means an end. There’s still a lot left to explore.

I know there’s a movement (practically a revolution) rallying to see Jack and Sam together, romantically. I have my own tickets for that train in a drawer somewhere. But rather than continue to flog the living chicken out of this particular topic, I’ll only say this: To be respectful to Carter’s character, there can’t be any flippant, knee-jerk life-choices at this point in her arc.

She’s grown stronger. As a woman, an officer, and in her own state of mind. Sam’s character has some very important decisions to make about the direction of her life from this point forward. Some of them were hinted at during the end of Season 8, and that internal monologue would certainly be a feasible catalyst for her ‘professional’ absence in the beginning of the new season. Dea Ex Machina, she has to be absent, therefore the question of plausibility is all that’s left.

A professional absence is far more powerful when the reasons behind it are motivated by personal interest, than would be true if the absence were personal entirely. To have Carter ‘gone’ because she’s brooding, or in mourning for her father (or pining somewhere over Jack) would be disrespectful to her character. More than that, it’s not who Carter is; nor who she’s become.

Carter’s character-arc has taken her through eight years of development and it’s leading somewhere. There’s an evolution. You have to believe that, or you can't possibly enjoy watching. Regardless of whether every fan agrees where each personal growth point took place, the fact remains, Sam has to stay true to her core sense of ethics in order to maintain integrity as a character. For that very reason (regardless of what ‘Uncle Joe’ chooses to tease fans with in his folder ) she’s not going to skew off the face of reality one fateful morning and marry General Landry (not in this universe, at least)!

No matter where Carter has gone (or will be going) prior to or during the run of Season 9, her character-arc will most certainly persist. Her adventure continues. The story of each team-member carries on, etcetera, etcetera. Ouch. Apparently, the clichés are also endless.

The primary difference between this season and last is truly not the fact that Jack is no longer front and center at the SGC while he takes over as head of Homeworld Security, or that Cameron Mitchell has joined the ranks of SG-1, or even that Teal’c is wearing a lot more brown…

It’s the fact that... it’s time. Time for a fresh bowl of popcorn, a new can of diet-soda (and maybe a washroom break if you haven't been up since season one). Switch off the phone, let the dog out the back door. Book II is about to begin…

. A . (I hear P3X-984 is nice, this time of year)

i'm with you. i hope that they come up with something good. I'm not fond of 'oh, sam just took a lot of vacation and she'll be gone for a while' or, frankly, i'm not even fond of 'she's spending a month in minnesota'

I would love for there to be an explanation that isn't tied to another character. I would love for sam to be off doing something worthwhile and worthyof her character
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

From spoilers and bits and pieces I've read my money is firmly on:

Spoiler:
      Sam being in Atlantis helping them recover from the Wraith attack at the start of the season. Reasons for this - the fact that she's been variously described by crew members as being 'far, far away', that she is contacted in the premiere but is unable to get back to the SGC at once (doing something vitally important at Atlantis base that she just can't drop?)...and...can't remember the others, but anyway that's my best guess right now. And that would be fine with me. It's in character I think. If the SGC was no more, I could see Sam heading out to Atlantis to work there instead.

Albion
      Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Given that, apparently, Cameron Mitchell has been involved in key episodes in SG-1's past, we just never saw him, maybe Sam will actually be in all five/six episodes, we just won't see her.
        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Spoiler:
          maybe she is helping the asgard
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

It would be nice if she was on a mission or something with one of our allies, then when after she comes back we find out what the mission was, and that something went horribly wrong which needs fixing.

Or some other way to tie it into a plot later in the season. Like a plot device, rather than just an excuse for her not being there.

Comment

Originally posted by Anunnaki
              So the speculation rages. Where in the world is Carmen SanDiego.. ?!

Carter’s character has gone through a tremendous series of life-altering revelations, culminating at the end of Season 8. She’s no longer ‘the junior’ member of the team. She’s discovered that she has less to prove. She’s more willing to take risks as both an officer and on a personal level (we saw her ‘blackmail’ Dr. Weir to save Jack’s life in the beginning of Season 8, for example). And she’s coming to terms with her own sense of self-worth.

The death of her father was a vehicle for her character, but by no means an end. There’s still a lot left to explore.

I know there’s a movement (practically a revolution) rallying to see Jack and Sam together, romantically. I have my own tickets for that train in a drawer somewhere. But rather than continue to flog the living chicken out of this particular topic, I’ll only say this: To be respectful to Carter’s character, there can’t be any flippant, knee-jerk life-choices at this point in her arc.

She’s grown stronger. As a woman, an officer, and in her own state of mind. Sam’s character has some very important decisions to make about the direction of her life from this point forward. Some of them were hinted at during the end of Season 8, and that internal monologue would certainly be a feasible catalyst for her ‘professional’ absence in the beginning of the new season. Dea Ex Machina, she has to be absent, therefore the question of plausibility is all that’s left.
              You've made some wonderful and well-written points (You aren't one of TPTB lurking here, are you?). But to be consistent with the integrity of the people we know as Sam and Jack, we have to accept one item as gospel at this point: they are together. Theirs will always be a non-traditional relationship. They won't buy a house with a white picket fence and have children. But they have been through a lot to reach the point where they can admit their feelings, and now that they can, even the most casual viewer can conclude that they have made a commitment to each other. The last two years of stories have propelled us to this very place. It's not a knee-jerk life change. It's a natural progression. Although others think they would "take it slow," I, as an adult, doubt that. They have known each other for eight years, and they have been as intimate as two people can be without a romantic relationship. Now that they can have it all, they will. To draw any other conclusion would be to shortchange all that we've observed to this point.

But this is the best case scenario for the growth of the Carter character. No longer does she have to be the "bait" that attracts alien suitors. No longer does she have to exist in a constant state of angst over what she perceives as unattainable with O'Neill. She must still deal with the issues of losing her father and her best friend, and she must deal with the changes in the makeup of SG-1. But she should be solidly confident in the commitment she shares with Jack, and she should be off the romantic storylines completely (except when RDA can be lured back, either in person or voice).

WONDERFUL! Now she can concentrate on her leadership role and her work. Now she can be the strong woman, the leader, the steadying force that O'Neill was for his teammates. Her certain commitment with O'Neill opens doors for her character's growth, without threatening her femininity. It also clears the way for BB or MS or CJ...or all three...to find romance and heat up the sexual tension for the viewers.

As to where Sam is, I don't think she's in Atlantis, because of shooting schedules and AT's maternity leave. I think she's off working on a project that is key to Earth's survival (possibly to do with the plague?), and that it will all be explained upon Sam's return.
              Last edited by sg-1fanintn; 29 April 2005, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anunnaki

A professional absence is far more powerful when the reasons behind it are motivated by personal interest, than would be true if the absence were personal entirely. To have Carter ‘gone’ because she’s brooding, or in mourning for her father (or pining somewhere over Jack) would be disrespectful to her character. More than that, it’s not who Carter is; nor who she’s become.
                I don't have any aversion to Carter taking personal time off; not to brood or mourn but to really think about personal decisions. I think she's at a turning point in her life. She can continue working as she has been, a noble goal but not necessarily one that will give her personal fulfilment. After you save the world seven or eight times you have to be wondering if there's something else you can do for your self so that when you're 80 and sitting ina rocking chair your mind is content.
                Some huge events have happened to her recently and I can't see Sam having taken more than a day or two off for herself in the past few years; she's well overdue for some r&r.

Granted, I don't think that she's actually done that, after all she thinks research is a good way to spend a vacation. I think it's far more likely that she's in Atlantis. There wre other places she could be of course but Atlantis is better than many.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                  But to be consistent with the integrity of the people we know as Sam and Jack, we have to accept one item as gospel at this point: they are together.
                  err, actually, NO! I have seen no conclusive proof that they are together. I saw them in Threads still flailing around, NOT making a commitment. I saw ALL of SG1 at the cabin not just the two coughlovebirdscough. I haven't heard/read any of the PTB state that they are actually together. As far as I can tell, NOTHING has changed. As far as we know, they are both still in the AF so unless they are going to go against regs, they can't be together. If you choose to believe they are together, that's fine, but it sure aint gospel!

Comment

But to be consistent with the integrity of the people we know as Sam and Jack, we have to accept one item as gospel at this point: they are together.
                    Actually, to be consistent with the integrity of the people I know as Sam and Jack I have to try and accept that they were swapped out for poorly-researched robot doubles about two seasons back.

I have this theory that Grace was actually the aliens 'programming' roboSam, but scrambling Sam's actual persona with 'empirical data' gleaned by monitoring daytime soaps and thus inserting subroutines to make her incapable of functioning properly without a man in her life.
                    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                      Actually, to be consistent with the integrity of the people I know as Sam and Jack I have to try and accept that they were swapped out for poorly-researched robot doubles about two seasons back.

I have this theory that Grace was actually the aliens 'programming' roboSam, but scrambling Sam's actual persona with 'empirical data' gleaned by monitoring daytime soaps and thus inserting subroutines to make her incapable of functioning properly without a man in her life.
                      Thank you for a very much needed laugh, and for your wonderful expose about the robo doubles. Of course, revealing such a secret might put you in mortal danger. My lips are sealed.
                      On fighting:
                      Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                      Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Well, actually, one of TPTB has come pretty close. I think they'd resolve it definitively, if they weren't afraid of alienating a small percentage of the overall fan base.

In a post on his thread, Executive Producer Joe Mallozzi recently replied to this question:

Re: Ask Joe Mallozzi - Spoilers for SG-1 (S8, S9) and SGA (S1, S2)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by scaryperson
                        Joe,
                        I have no clue as to whether you've been asked before, but In the last few episodes of SG1 where you dropping hints or not for us shippers?
                        I'm just wanting to resolve that......

thanks
                        --Tan

Dropping hints? Nope. I think things were pretty obvious.
                        No, we haven't seen "a big, honkin' kiss" yet, but Sam breaking up with Pete, Kerry breaking up with Jack and the scene in the infirmary told most people all they needed to know. I realize some people are resistant to the J/S relationship because they don't feel romance belongs in sci-fi. I think that most realistic, well-developed characters change, grow and are affected by their interactions with others, just like we are in RL.

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
                          From spoilers and bits and pieces I've read my money is firmly on:

Spoiler:
                          Sam being in Atlantis helping them recover from the Wraith attack at the start of the season. Reasons for this - the fact that she's been variously described by crew members as being 'far, far away', that she is contacted in the premiere but is unable to get back to the SGC at once (doing something vitally important at Atlantis base that she just can't drop?)...and...can't remember the others, but anyway that's my best guess right now. And that would be fine with me. It's in character I think. If the SGC was no more, I could see Sam heading out to Atlantis to work there instead.

Albion
                          Theres a problem with your theory. If she was at Alantis then she would have to be on the show Alantis and as she is pregnant that being the reason she isnt on SG-1 i dont think she'll be on Alantis. Far far away doesnt have to be Alantis.

Comment

a small percentage of the overall fan base.
                            Um, actually, we're not that small a percentage of a fanbase.

SG-1 has one of the largest slash followings of any fandom out there.
                            In a poll at the Stargate Fan Awards, it was shown that more people were actually interested in reading SG-1 slash of any kind than SG-1 ship of any kind.

From what I've seen on this forum, the J/S shippers are very vocal here. Just because slash, alternate ship, and normo opinions aren't voiced as loudly on this one forum doesn't mean that we're a small percentage of the fanbase.
                            Co-President of F.O.R.D. My SG-1 Slashfiction MyLiveJournal

Comment

Woah! Hold on! Read my comment. It was directed at those who don't think romance belongs in sci fi.....no one else. I don't care what floats your boat, as I'm sure you don't care what floats mine. But from what I read, I had just gotten the impression that the contingent I mentioned was the issue with TPTB.

The issue on this thread is Carter, and my opinions on what is ahead for her are based on my opinions about her character.....as well as what I have read.

Comment

Working...
                              X