Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eyes of various Goa'ulds (possible spoilers for S6 & S7)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eyes of various Goa'ulds (possible spoilers for S6 & S7)

Recently I've been wondering - where did the Eye of Ra, Eye of Tiamat and any other similar 'eyes' come from? At least Tiamat and Anubis knew they were weapons, Ra possibly did too, but just left it at Abydos for safe-keeping.

Has it been stated at any point during the show that all the eyes are needed to make a weapon? Or can they all be used individually, just not as powerful as all of them combined?

Who do you think made them? Here are my theories:
    • The Goa'uld, individually - The weapons could all have been based on a similar Goa'uld design, and it was this similarity that made the eyes work together so well, and that different Goa'ulds created them for themselves to use against their enemies (i.e. the other System Lords and various races who opposed the Goa'uld). The problem with this theory is that if the Goa'uld could use the eyes separately, why didn't we see more of them? Of course, maybe we just haven't met a Goa'uld who hasn't hid his eye, or who is buried in a ziggurat.
    • The System Lords, collectively - Isn't is possible that back when the System Lords were all chummy* (or at least chummy compared to now, like when they all got together to banish Anubis), that the eyes were a collaborative project for use against the System Lords' enemies (i.e. races who oppose the Goa'uld, renegade Goa'uld etc.)? Then when they all went their separate ways, they each took their own eye, in the hope that one day they could recover the other eyes and use it for themselves. This seems to fit in with Anubis' quest in "Full Circle".
    • Another advanced race - The Goa'uld are scavengers after all. They could have put the gold around the crystal to identify it or to lessen the chance of it smashing if dropped - we saw in "Full Circle" that the crystal in the centre of the Eye of Ra could be removed. I bet there'll be a reply somewhere saying it was the Furlings . Any other guesses? The crystals don't look particularly Ancient-y to me - in Atlantis their crystals look see-through (although their technology could have had very different appearances throughout their evolution). Do you think it was another advanced race that created them?
    I doubt we'll ever hear the answer, seeing as the eyes were probably destroyed along with Anubis' mothership above Kelowna. I was just wondering.

*chummy = friendly (just in case somebody asks! )

I don't remember them saying that the eyes were weapons, what episode was this?

If they did, I believe that the eyes would be used in unison, as one big weapon.

Owen Macri

Comment

i seem to remember another thread about the eyes but i could be wrong it does happen i think the eyes can be used individually but when used together they multiply the energy potential tenfold or something (i read lots of things and i sometimes get jumbled so i may be wrong) i think they produce energy for the weapons because after they are lost when anubis's ship is destroyed he goes to jonas's planet for the naquadriah as it will provide the energy he now needs to build his "big honking space gun"
      the very young do not always do as they are told...

you blow up one star and suddenly everyone expects you to be able to walk on water... next parting the red sea

Comment

This sounds familiar, that is were it was from, that episode were anubis attacks jonas' planet, I knew it sounded familiar I just wasn't sure were or when I had heard it.

I believe that the eyes could be used individualy, but together they created a much stronger one, I can't remember the episode that well so I am just using common sense to "guess" what th answer might be.

Owen Macri

Comment

Where they weapons per se or where they power sources?

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"
          - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC-65AD)

Why it's a "magazine" and not a "clip".

Comment

The eyes were never defined as a power source, but it appears that is what they were for. Apparently there were 6 of them, and when used together were powerful enough to destroy Abydos.

I think the deal was, the Goa'uld had them, and didn't know what they were. Since Anubis was familiar with ancient writing, he was able to figure out what they were capable, and that's why he was so intent on getting them. They were the power source for his primary weapon on his flagship, which was able to destroy multiple Hat'aks in a single shot, as well as destroy Abydos.

I'm guessing they were something like a precursor to the ZPM.
            Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Well, of course, they could have been scavenged. I agree with your hypothesis that they probably were an early form of ZPM. We saw, in Threads, Ra did have a ZPM and probably only kept it coz it was "pretty" and perhaps the stones were the same. IIRC they do have the same yellow glow as the ZPM, thus perhaps we have some common link there.

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"
              - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC-65AD)

Why it's a "magazine" and not a "clip".

Comment

It sounds like the Ancients left a lot of technology around the galaxy and the Goa'uld, being the first to explore the galaxy significantly after the ancients, found the technology. However they didn't know how to work, or what anything was, so they kept them as (I can't think of the word) you know those things, that you have, that do nothing and just sit there... I GOT IT, ornaments, they kept them as ornaments. They wern't to smart.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                  They wern't to smart.
                  Well in all fairness, given the most advance race in 2000BC would have been ancient egyptions i doubt the goa'uld would have had to look through every tiny artifact they found for signs of an incredible power source. they probably found them, thought they looked suave and used them to encourage a religion by fabricating a story which made the ZPM out to be a gift sent by their "god". If we ever reach an advanced civlisation which colonises space i doubt we'll do every test under the sun on every "shiny glass thing"!

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

o some on we are going to scrutanise everything from the plant life to the nearby moons for every sign of anything, were going to be the galatic vultures not the distant watchers!
                    sigpic
                    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                    Stargate : Genesis |
                    Original Starship DesignThread
                    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                    11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
                      o some on we are going to scrutanise everything from the plant life to the nearby moons for every sign of anything, were going to be the galatic vultures not the distant watchers!
                      perhaps initially but eventually (again hypothetically) if we advanced to a galactic empire, we would've seen everything, done everything much like the goa'uld had with no hostilities, apart from the tok'ra, and settled into their coushy jobs as gods. But yeah, i see what you mean given how we still scrutanise individual artifacts recovered in archaelogical digs and challenge "accepted theories" etc. but in the distant future who knows.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69
                        Well in all fairness, given the most advance race in 2000BC would have been ancient egyptions i doubt the goa'uld would have had to look through every tiny artifact they found for signs of an incredible power source. they probably found them, thought they looked suave and used them to encourage a religion by fabricating a story which made the ZPM out to be a gift sent by their "god". If we ever reach an advanced civlisation which colonises space i doubt we'll do every test under the sun on every "shiny glass thing"!
                        I don't know, humans seem to do every test under the sun on every little thing they find. When we went to the moon, they brought back moon rocks, they must have spent twenty years checking those things out. Anyways there is a diffrence between moon rocks and ZPMs. When we find stuff on other planets, we realise if it has power or if it is just a piece of glass, you would think that the Goa'uld would realise what a ZPM was, even if they didn't know how to use it. At least, they would check it out a little bit.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                        X