Star Trek Movie Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek Movie Questions

Is it possible that the race/entity that reconfigured the Voyager Space Probe (aka Vger) in Star Trek: The Motion Picture (aka the Motionless Picture) was affiliated with the Borg? Any ideas?

Who were the aliens who costructed the "probe" from ST IV: The Voyage Home? Some kinda aquatics, but not Xindi, right? Any thoughts?

Was the "God" thingy/entity from ST V: Final Frontier some kinda trapped Q?

interesting questions...

could have made some good retcon plots if Enterprise had continued.

i don't think the borg had anything to do with v-ger. they've always been portrayed as either absorbing useful tech or destroying what stood in their way. if v-ger got that far out to the delta quadrant i suspect the borg would have vaped it out of hand, not tinkered with it or allowed some part of themselves to be bonded with it for a simple intelligence.

don't think the xindi aquatics had anything to do with the whale probe either. although enterprise wasn't exactly sticking to history, the probe bore no resemblance to any ships the xindi of any species used. also, even though the aquatics were somewhat snobbish, they were not shown to be so callous as to disable ships with lifeforms and almost destroy a planet....well, not with out a majority vote anyway.

the god/q idea is a cool idea though. perhaps the continuum had trapped him there because he was insane or perhaps he was a q that was just starting to mess around in that part of the galaxy. i'm surprised there hasn't been an EU book about that yet.
    Thanks!
    Jordan

my page
    My LJ
    From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

I'm still trying to forget the godling from Star Trek V. That was a terrible film.

Comment

I'm still trying to forget the godling from Star Trek V. That was a terrible film.
        thats true but its shame that Shatner wasn't allowed to go back and fix it for the DVD version

personally i think the Star Trek V god was probably a Cytherian (from TNG episode The Nth Degree). apart from God in ST5, the Cytherians are the only other floating heat species seen that looked like God

it could have also been the species as Nagilum, the lack of respect for live was there but they didn't look much a like but we know less about Nagilum than we do the Cytherians. the cytherians were at the centre of the galaxy but God was at the edge so you could say the cytherians put God as far away as possible (and with knowledge, the cytherians wouldn't have a problem getting their and back)

Cytherian

Nagilum

i don't believe VGR had anything to do with the Borg. Voyager 6 would have just been ignored by the borg and the ship that was built for Voyager to continue its job is way past the borgs level of technology. even when we saw where Voyager ended up, the planet looked nothing like a borg world plus they wouldn't have repaired it, built a ship for it and then launched it again.

the Xindi Aquatics could be a good source for the ST4 probe. the technology they used could have advanced that far and since we never saw the probe travelling at warp, after all, it was about 200 odd years since whales had become extinct so it either came from a nearby planet or system or it used the Xindi corriders to get here so quickly. i don't think it was said the probe was deliberately doing damage to earth and to the ships, it could have been a normal side effect of the probe so it may not have needed permission from the Xindi Council because it was going to check, not do damage or harm

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
          Is it possible that the race/entity that reconfigured the Voyager Space Probe (aka Vger) in Star Trek: The Motion Picture (aka the Motionless Picture) was affiliated with the Borg? Any ideas?
          TNG has Guinnan and Q saying the Borg are thousands of centuries (or millennia) old, plus in a VOY episode, we know the Borg are at least 900 years old as they revived the last survivors of a race who were in cryo-stasis for some 900 years. It's quite possible that V'Ger landed on a Borg planet (thin atmosphere, maybe the Borg captured it?). Since the probe had a similar mission as the Borg - to learn all that is learnable - it's possible the Borg built V'Ger a ship. However, I'd rather think V'Ger landed on an alien world unkown to the Trek audience, occupied by living machines. Still, a V'Ger/Borg story might be fun.

Who were the aliens who costructed the "probe" from ST IV: The Voyage Home? Some kinda aquatics, but not Xindi, right? Any thoughts?
          We never found out. You're best guess is as good as mine.

Was the "God" thingy/entity from ST V: Final Frontier some kinda trapped Q?
          Na, Q are much more powerful. He was just some angry alien dude who pretended to be "God" to get a ride on the Enterprise.

Comment

About the Aquatic 'probe thingy'... I KNOW the Xindi Aquatic didn't build it. It seems like there was some speculation that the aliens that sent it weren't even from our galaxy... Anywho. I saw a poster-thingy that showed all the relative sizes of almost every major sci-fi spaceship (tv and movies) and that Aquatic Probe was HUGE... Like bigger than almost anything else on the poster huge. Like bigger than V'Ger huge... I don't think the Xindi could've EVER built something like that. Also, if the Xindi knew about our whales, they'd know about us... so. It was made clear that the civilization that sent that giant probe thing was MILLIONS of years old... far ahead of us or the Xindi.

The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
            Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
            http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
            My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
            Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
              About the Aquatic 'probe thingy'... I KNOW the Xindi Aquatic didn't build it. It seems like there was some speculation that the aliens that sent it weren't even from our galaxy... Anywho. I saw a poster-thingy that showed all the relative sizes of almost every major sci-fi spaceship (tv and movies) and that Aquatic Probe was HUGE... Like bigger than almost anything else on the poster huge. Like bigger than V'Ger huge... I don't think the Xindi could've EVER built something like that. Also, if the Xindi knew about our whales, they'd know about us... so. It was made clear that the civilization that sent that giant probe thing was MILLIONS of years old... far ahead of us or the Xindi.

I agree with everything everyone has said. I was just trying to figure this out for myself. I wonder if we'll ever know. You know, it would have been cool if Enterprise tried to explore some of these unfinished movie plots, or at least looked into them, or something, from a prequel point of view.

Comment

As much as I hated Star Trek V, my lingering question is whether Uhura's "friendliness" toward Mr. Scott was solely the product of Sybok's feel good mind meld effects, or if there had been some repressed passion there all along.

TOS could have been much more interesting if they had not only had an African American female officer, but even the hints of a mixed (human) race romance. Nothing so pronounced as the 'shippyness that today's swooning crowds prefer (the soap operas have managed to permeate EVERYWHERE), but just the suggestion that folks were in fact having emotional lives beyond what was seen on the screen.

It also would have been a considerable improvement over Mr. Scott's pathetic crushes in several episodes. Uhura was a BABE.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
                  As much as I hated Star Trek V, my lingering question is whether Uhura's "friendliness" toward Mr. Scott was solely the product of Sybok's feel good mind meld effects, or if there had been some repressed passion there all along.

TOS could have been much more interesting if they had not only had an African American female officer, but even the hints of a mixed (human) race romance. Nothing so pronounced as the 'shippyness that today's swooning crowds prefer (the soap operas have managed to permeate EVERYWHERE), but just the suggestion that folks were in fact having emotional lives beyond what was seen on the screen.

It also would have been a considerable improvement over Mr. Scott's pathetic crushes in several episodes. Uhura was a BABE.
                  He was Captain Scott in ST V. It's not only against protocol, but exceptionally rude to refer to a command line officer with the rank of Captain or higher as Mister. Also, please note the topic here "ST MOVIE QUESTIONS", not TOS episode racial/sexual dynamics analysis. In terms of ST V and Commander Uhura's friendliness, I believe it was a result of Sybok's trickery.

Comment

True, Scotty outranked Uhura, but he still served under Captain Kirk and Captain Spock, so Scotty was not Uhura's commanding officer, thus they could have a relationship if they wanted. I always assumed that the movie was simply portraying them as very good friends, best friends even, but Uhura had "personal feelings" for Scotty that were only let out via Sybok's mind melding or whutever he did to the crew.

In any event, Spock and Scotty could have both left to command their own ship, yet they stayed on the Enterprise. Now that's loyalty!

Sorry for the tangent.

Comment

He was Captain Scott in ST V. It's not only against protocol, but exceptionally rude to refer to a command line officer with the rank of Captain or higher as Mister.
                      And yet, did they ever call him Captain Scott?

Also, please note the topic here "ST MOVIE QUESTIONS", not TOS episode racial/sexual dynamics analysis. In terms of ST V and Commander Uhura's friendliness, I believe it was a result of Sybok's trickery.
                      Goodness. The question was raised in a Star Trek movie. Don't have a snit fit.

But to get back to friendliness IN STAR TREK V... did it actually generate NEW feelings, or just disinhibit ones already there?

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson
                      True, Scotty outranked Uhura, but he still served under Captain Kirk and Captain Spock, so Scotty was not Uhura's commanding officer, thus they could have a relationship if they wanted. I always assumed that the movie was simply portraying them as very good friends, best friends even, but Uhura had "personal feelings" for Scotty that were only let out via Sybok's mind melding or whutever he did to the crew.

In any event, Spock and Scotty could have both left to command their own ship, yet they stayed on the Enterprise. Now that's loyalty!

Sorry for the tangent.
                      Yep. That is loyalty.... though the idea of a Captain of Engineering isn't outside of existing rank structures in some navies. The former Soviet Navy, for example, had exactly such a rank.... that was outside of the command line.
                      Last edited by Darth Buddha; 28 April 2005, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X