X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question

OK

I'm new. I don't like the Sci-Fi genre at all. But Roland Emmerich is my favorite director. I love Stargate and SG-1. I've seen three episodes. The movie's better, but I like the show too.

But.

I don't understand why Roland and Dean Devlin aren't credited! The only sci-fi show I like doesn't even credit it's creators. Why?

BTW sorry if this has been answered.
    God loves you. But I think you're a twit.

My guess would be because D&E despise Stargate SG-1 and want nothing to do with it.

Comment

but why?

Comment

More likely it has to do with the complex laws of copyright, and other legal stuff.

For example, the creators of the Stargate Movie didn't create Samantha Carter,nor most of the other characters and guests that have appeared on Stargate SG-1.Those are all Canon to "SG-1".

There are probably massive headaches surrounding the entire issue.
        The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

shadow's right. basically D&E wanted to do a trilogy of movies. MGM owned the rights to the film, and hence the franchise. brad wright and jonathan glassner (i think) went to mgm independantly and each pitched an idea for a tv show based on the film. mgm decided that these ideas were very good, and decided that the two ideas could be combined. BW & JG got together, created stargate sg-1, pitched it to mgm, and mgm decided to go ahead with the tv show rather than the movie franchise, since they owned the copyright i think they can pretty much do what they want with it, so thats what they did.

i'm not sure on the ins and outs of it past that, so if anyone can correct me or fill in the details, i'd really apreciate it. i'm sure they do have to say that its based on the film or something like that, but i don't think they have to credit D&E for it.

Comment

I think the phrase "They murdered our baby" was tossed around. Or a variant of it. Or it was just implied...

Comment

i BELIEVE that the idea of stargate has been bought from d&e, thus no longer giving them rights to it.

legal stuff is why sam and teal'c are not in the pilot of atlantis, only jack and daniel....characters from the movie
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

whoa man that's lame of MGM... man I'm never gonna watch sg-1 again.

nonetheless, i'd want my name on anything i created!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                  I think the phrase "They murdered our baby" was tossed around. Or a variant of it. Or it was just implied...
                  something along those lines was mentioned in the commentary for the movie i think.

Comment

To "straight plan":

Then make sure you fully copyright anything you "Create"!

Comment

YEAH that commentary! they also said some guy sued them becuz they rejected a script of his with a simmiliar premise

Comment

Originally posted by straight plan
                        That's Hollywood. It's a business, and businesses have to think of the money line. MGM figured they could make more money off the show than off a series of movies.

If you plan to put your name on everything you create... you'd better get a good lawyer to go over your contracts. Dunno if it's legally possible unless you make everything yourself.

Guess this was a short excursion for ya, then, eh? If you're serious about not watching the show anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          i BELIEVE that the idea of stargate has been bought from d&e, thus no longer giving them rights to it.

legal stuff is why sam and teal'c are not in the pilot of atlantis, only jack and daniel....characters from the movie
                          Complicated,isn't it!

However, that is perfectly legal and acceptable "Deal broking",IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by straight plan

nonetheless, i'd want my name on anything i created!
                            not really, its just business. they thought that the idea for the tv show had more longevity than that of the movie trilogy. perhaps they saw the tv show as a way to make more money, or just as having better ideas. we don't really know that much about what D&E had planned. we do know that brad wright is the man (my opinion)

don't boycott the show just because you don't like what the production company did, if you did that you wouldn't be able to watch silence of the lambs or james bond films (think of james for gods sake! ). give the show a chance. if you don't like the show, then stop giving it chances.

sg-1's got teal'c. does that entice you to keep watching? he's gonna do or say something any day now, i swear!

Comment

shadow, i just read your post, its oddly similar to mine. GET OUT OF MY MIND!!!!!
                              aw man, now i'm gonna have to try and copyright my thoughts, or you'll have to copyright yours. this could get messy.

Comment

Working...
                              X