SG1 - Meet the new member of 'Stargate SG-1'

From the Commercial Appeal (Memphis, TN):

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/...720951,00.html

Meet the new member of 'Stargate SG-1'
    Former Memphian joins the longest-running sci-fi drama on TV

By Michael Donahue
    Contact
    April 23, 2005

Instead of battling extraterrestrials in leather pants and a black shirt, native Memphian Ben Browder said he was dressed in sweats and sheepskin slippers on a recent lazy Sunday afternoon.

"You can't be bothered to put shoes and socks on at the moment when you're watching NASCAR," he said.

For four seasons, Browder, 42, played Commander John Robert Crichton Jr. on the popular science-fiction TV show, "Farscape." He reprised the role for last year's miniseries "Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars." He's now working in Canada, where he joined the cast of "Stargate SG-1" for the series' ninth season.

His first movie role was as a rookie captain in "Memphis Belle," which was based on the World War II bomber. He plays an attorney in the movie, "A Killer Within," which recently was released to DVD.

Browder, who also appeared in "Party of Five," "Melrose Place" and "Murder, She Wrote," lived only two years in Memphis, but his father's family lived in McNairy County, so he used to visit Memphis as a child. "When we were little, our phone number was one digit off Elvis's," he said. "Every now and then you'd get a call at 3 in the morning: 'Elvis, where's the party, man?' My dad gets on the phone: 'This is not Elvis.' 'Come on. I've got three girls who want to meet you.' "

Browder's first TV role was at age 6 in a Wheaties commercial with Bill Cosby. "Twelve bowls of Wheaties later, I knew I'd found my calling: 'I can eat all the cereal I want. I can put lots of sugar on it. I love this job!' "

Playing three sports in high school, Browder never met a serious, working actor. He thought of acting as "some sort of strange, remote pastime that couldn't be taken seriously."

He was inside linebacker at Furman University, but he also acted in plays after spring practice. One of the plays was "South Pacific." "I got to wear a grass skirt and coconuts. The football team was a bit unsure of me at that point."

Later, Browder decided to become a full-time actor. He enrolled in drama school in London and eventually got to play three scenes in "Memphis Belle." He got the part in the 1990 movie while he was still in drama school. "It was a great chance to sit around and learn and watch."

He enjoyed talking to stars Matthew Modine and Sean Astin. "I played a lot of chess. I was basically stuck in the middle of England. We sat around the barracks like it was 1942. I got to meet the surviving crew."

He used "amazing" and "incredible" to describe "Farscape," which employed animatronics and puppetry. "It was a very creative and brave show, and we were given a lot of room to play and be a part of the process."

Of his character, Browder said: "I think in a lot of ways he's one of the most honestly written characters in the history of science fiction. He's constantly afraid, constantly out of his depth. He's not heroic and he's driven by the things that drive most people, which is love and fear."

Instead of a "stand-up, shoot-'em-up hero," Browder felt "hope" was at the center of John's character. "We hope tomorrow is better. We hope we're gonna be all right.

"Struggle kind of makes him unique in a science-fiction series."

He's the newest cast member of "Stargate SG-1," the longest-running sci-fi drama on American television. He plays Lieutenant Colonel Cameron Mitchell.

Browder wears a suit in "A Killer Within," which stars C. Thomas Howell. He described it as an old-fashioned thriller about a lawyer who sets out to find his wife's murderer after he's suspected. "My character is a lawyer, a partner of Tommy's character. His job is essentially to look after Tommy."

Browder, a husband and a father, isn't afraid of getting old. He remembered meeting actress Dame Peggy Ashcroft backstage in London. "She was the sexiest 80-year-old I've ever met. Sexiness and vitality exist all through life."

Copyright 2005 - commercialappeal.com

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

Fans of Joe Flanigan
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/fansofjoeflanigan/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Thanks Morjana for posting this!

Comment

Originally posted by BritAngie
      Thanks Morjana for posting this!

You're very welcome!

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
      SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
      Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Sweet!! Thanks for posting Marjona!!

I don't remember him in Memphis Belle. Something else I have to add to my 'to be watched' list!! ;-)

Only three scenes? Too bad!

Comment

Fantastic read!...thanx for posting it. I'm a huge Ben fan, and this is the first real insight to his private life I have ever seen. Thanx again!
          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
          Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Ben's wife, Francesca Buller played 4 characters on Farscape series and Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars mini-series

Comment

Working...
            X