PDA

View Full Version : Do you judge an episode by spoilers...

Elwe Singollo
June 3rd, 2004, 05:46 PM
Or do you judge them by spoilers, then rejudge the episode once it airs. I think that makes sense...

priornavalperson
June 3rd, 2004, 08:03 PM
Or do you judge them by spoilers, then rejudge the episode once it airs. I think that makes sense...The spoilers determine how excited I am about an episode in advance; however, I judge an episode only after I have seen it.:cool:

petzke_42
June 3rd, 2004, 09:11 PM
I am the same way.

epiphany
June 3rd, 2004, 09:31 PM
Or do you judge them by spoilers, then rejudge the episode once it airs. I think that makes sense...

Generallly speaking I don't judge the final product by the spoilers but the spoilers do determine how much I am looking forward to an episode. Sometimes they are better and sometimes they are worse than the spoilers.

Torley
June 3rd, 2004, 09:33 PM
The spoilers are a nice teaser but the reality of things is that there is absolutely NO substitute for actually experiencing an episode and watching it for yourself. Text hardly conveys the emotion the way it does when the actors say it on screen, with all their expressions and the context it's in. For example, Teal'c's "What is an Oprah?" appears mildly humorous but when you actually watch him deliver that line, it's SO much of a hoot. Likewise, you can say "so-and-so blows up" and it sounds understated and undramatic compared to what is actually happening on the screen... PLANET GO BOOM!!

Anubis
June 4th, 2004, 12:24 PM
I think spoilers are a nice little taster of the episode as long as it doesn't goo to far into detail. I think the basic storyline accompanied with about fifteen pictures is enough. Besides, I'm sure the producers don't want everything revealled

sshspooky
June 4th, 2004, 02:18 PM
i don't ever judge an episode on the spoilers. i read the spoilers to find out what happens, but what sounds bad in text can come of pretty good and vica-versa.

spook

Elwe Singollo
June 4th, 2004, 09:21 PM
i don't ever judge an episode on the spoilers. i read the spoilers to find out what happens, but what sounds bad in text can come of pretty good and vica-versa.

spookI totally agree, i read spoilers for this one show, and although i would watch the episode anyway, expecting badness, i thought the episode was really good.

keshou
June 5th, 2004, 04:58 AM
I don't judge an episode by spoilers, but spoilers do raise (or lower) my anticipation of a particular episode.

It is much nicer to have low expectations and be pleasantly surprised than to be really excited about an episode and be disappointed. My expectations for season 8 are pretty low at this point so I figure there's nowhere to go but up! :D

Elwe Singollo
June 5th, 2004, 09:42 AM
I don't judge an episode by spoilers, but spoilers do raise (or lower) my anticipation of a particular episode.

It is much nicer to have low expectations and be pleasantly surprised than to be really excited about an episode and be disappointed. My expectations for season 8 are pretty low at this point so I figure there's nowhere to go but up! :DHeheh yah :) But the pictures i've seen make me 'excited' for the season8 premiere :), so my expectations are just... oh wait, i have no expectations... haha... :D

Anubis
June 5th, 2004, 09:48 AM
The new pictures of the opening episodes look pretty cool

Elwe Singollo
June 5th, 2004, 09:51 AM
The new pictures of the opening episodes look pretty coolAhh, yes it does, we get to see Yu for one:), and we get to see a new Japanese system lord :) Me so Happy...

Teal'c
June 5th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Well, actually, I'm pretty sure everyone judges an episode by reading the spoilers, it's hard not to form an opinion. The real question is do you rejudge after seeing the actual episode, as one should do (Or do you just bother not to watch like certain shady people :P)

Elwe Singollo
June 5th, 2004, 10:34 AM
I'm asking this question (the topic question) because some people say they won't watch the season/episodes because what the spoilers say.

Dani347
June 5th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Well, actually, I'm pretty sure everyone judges an episode by reading the spoilers, it's hard not to form an opinion. The real question is do you rejudge after seeing the actual episode, as one should do (Or do you just bother not to watch like certain shady people :P)

Think of it like looking for a book to read. Obviously, you can't read every book there is. So, you have to judge based on things like reviews, word of mouth, the back cover of the book. But, there are times when you just have to decide that the book isn't for you, even without reading the whole thing. (Or, you'd go crazy trying to read everything, just in case all the previous stuff didn't do it justice). Or, when you decide what movie to see. People usually decide that from the trailers. I don't know of anyone who goes to every movie just to judge their opinions after they see it. It doesn't seem any different for an episode of a tv show.

Elwe Singollo
June 5th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Think of it like looking for a book to read. Obviously, you can't read every book there is. So, you have to judge based on things like reviews, word of mouth, the back cover of the book. But, there are times when you just have to decide that the book isn't for you, even without reading the whole thing. (Or, you'd go crazy trying to read everything, just in case all the previous stuff didn't do it justice). Or, when you decide what movie to see. People usually decide that from the trailers. I don't know of anyone who goes to every movie just to judge their opinions after they see it. It doesn't seem any different for an episode of a tv show.Well, sometimes i watch the movie, then read reviews and opinions from others, and every now and then they are right, but most of the time, i did enjoy the movie, and i disagree with critics. Critics such as, Ebert and Roeper are to critical, and oh yes, old and stupid. :)

Bagpuss
June 5th, 2004, 02:46 PM
I read the GW spoilers for the episodes as soon as possible.Mainly out of sheer nosiness!
I still intend to watch all the episodes at the Mo',regardless of spoilers.

Just too curious to keep my nose out,and afraid I might miss something good!

Elwe Singollo
June 5th, 2004, 02:50 PM
I read the GW spoilers for the episodes as soon as possible.Mainly out of sheer nosiness!
I still intend to watch all the episodes at the Mo',regardless of spoilers.

Just too curious to keep my nose out,and afraid I might miss something good!Me too, something that sounds bad, may end up good :)

Bagpuss
June 5th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Very true,lmj!

Positive,cheery, FHB, is really looking forward to seeing all these episodes! :D

(Ok,my cynical side is rather less enthusiastic about some Spoilery "prospects",but no worries,IMO. ;) )

Elwe Singollo
June 5th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Very true,lmj!

Positive,cheery, FHB, is really looking forward to seeing all these episodes! :D

(Ok,my cynical side is rather less enthusiastic about some Spoilery "prospects",but no worries,IMO. ;) )FHB = Positive :D

Bagpuss
June 5th, 2004, 03:16 PM
I try my best,lmj! :D

I try to stay away from the forum on my "Snitty" days....bad moods can cause total aggro,IMO. ;)

Elwe Singollo
June 5th, 2004, 03:21 PM
I try my best,lmj! :D

I try to stay away from the forum on my "Snitty" days....bad moods can cause total aggro,IMO. ;)Oh yes FHB, my drpepper soothes my 'bad' mood days... :D

Bagpuss
June 5th, 2004, 03:41 PM
A better way than mine: Anti-Histamines and Coffee! :( (Allergies!)

Love Dr Pepper too.Used to hate it, til the "Gatelets" subverted me.
Best served at sub-zero,IMO. Yum!

Nowhere near topic,I know,but these little things help me stop looking on the "black side" of some of the spoilers..... :D

Dani347
June 5th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Well, sometimes i watch the movie, then read reviews and opinions from others, and every now and then they are right, but most of the time, i did enjoy the movie, and i disagree with critics. Critics such as, Ebert and Roeper are to critical, and oh yes, old and stupid. :)

Well, I was thinking mainly of movie trailers and book blurbs, although critcal responses can factor in. But, mainly things that just give you a snippet of a film/book without someone telling you what they thought. I mean, when you go to the theater, and they play trailers for movies, aren't you able to decide from the trailer which movies you'll definitely want to see, which ones you might want to take a chance on, and which ones just aren't for you?

Elwe Singollo
June 5th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Well, I was thinking mainly of movie trailers and book blurbs, although critcal responses can factor in. But, mainly things that just give you a snippet of a film/book without someone telling you what they thought. I mean, when you go to the theater, and they play trailers for movies, aren't you able to decide from the trailer which movies you'll definitely want to see, which ones you might want to take a chance on, and which ones just aren't for you?O---, i now understand what you meant. Yes, i do decide which movies to watch by the trailer previews. Although if i didn't like the movie, my evil friends would drag me with them anyway, but sometimes i'll end up liking the movie :)