PDA

View Full Version : The Friendshippers Thread

sueKay
April 22nd, 2005, 08:14 AM
Heya!

This is a thread for simply enjoying the close friendships between all the regular characters on SG1 and SGA!!

Me personally...I love the Jack Teal'c friendship, as well as the interraction between McKay and Sheppard.

Of course...McKay and Zelenka are a hoot too!!!!

And you can't forget Jack and Maybourne!

The list's neverending! :D

solar wind
April 22nd, 2005, 08:32 AM
I think one of the main reasons Stargate is so likable is the team as a close knit unit with strong friendship (speaking for sg-1 anyway as I haven't seen Atlantis). Everyone loves the episodes with lots of team spirit! :cool:

Aside from that I always really liked the Sam Daniel friendship.

sueKay
April 22nd, 2005, 08:51 AM
Yeah...Sam and Daniel are great! Especially if you rewatch seasons one and two!

Purpleyin
April 22nd, 2005, 09:18 AM
I have to say I really enjoy the friendships on SG1 and SGA. Sam/Daniel is my favourite on SG1, and on SGA I think there are possibly too many to count.
I particularly like Weir/McKay, McKay/Beckett, McKay/Grodin, Mckay/Zelenka, Sheppard/Teyla...there's more but I won't list them all. Friendship often gets underated but it's important and I'm glad the SG writers are so good at portraying it.

yasureubetcha
April 22nd, 2005, 01:19 PM
I love the Jack and Daniel friendship. Shades of Grey broke my heart the first time I saw it, when Jack pretended to blow Daniel off. Need, Meridian, and Abyss were some other great friendship eps for those two. Jack tends to be more loyal to the people around him than to abstract principles, while Daniel's kind of the other way around, and that really shows through the dialogue in Abyss. Plus Daniel sees in Jack what Jack doesn't want to face in himself.

Another friendship I love is Sam and Janet. They work together on scientific stuff, which gives them a common ground. Then there's Cassie, about whom they both care.

I think Teal'c and Jonas had the potential for a cool friendship; too bad Jonas left so soon. It was Teal'c he went to to try and convince Jack to take him onto SG1. The boxing scene was awesome. Another of my favorites is when they're eating ice cream in Unnatural Selection, I don't know why.

Friendship lasts longer than most romantic relationships will, and it's not against any regulations!:D I love the little moments between characters that aren't the center of an episode (unlike the romantic relationships.) Sam/Pete, Sam/ Jack, Daniel/Sha're, etc. have episodes written around their interactions; friendships are kept more in the background, but seem more natural because of that. A casual mention of a day at the lake does more to show off a friendship than a kiss does for a 'ship.

Hywel
April 22nd, 2005, 01:26 PM
I really miss Teal'c/Jonas. They were really good friends throughout season six - the scene where Teal'c thinks Jonas is suggesting an alien conspiracy cracks me up every time. I also like the Sam/Teal'c friendship. The scene in 'Revelations' when they're at the controls of the Tel'tak is really moving.

yasureubetcha
April 22nd, 2005, 01:49 PM
I think some really great potential Sam and Janet moments were completely wasted in Heroes by the way they insisted on keeping us in the dark about who had died. Even though I never actually thought it was Jack, the fact that we were supposed to think everyone (especially Sam) was grieving over Jack ruined what could've been great friendship stuff, for both Sam and Daniel. I resent having been manipulated in that way, and I resent having genuine friendship shoved into the background in this ep. for the sake of semi-'shippy suspense. If that episode had been done better, it could've been one of the best friendship eps. ever, possibly from tons of (Sam, Daniel, and Hammond's) angles.

Lys
April 22nd, 2005, 01:58 PM
Thank you so much sueKay for this thread ! :)

I'm not sure yet of the friendships I like the most on SGA.
But in SG1, two friendships get my vote. Teal'c and Jack friendship because it's a silent one. They don't need words to understand each other. They respect each other and have both a strong sense of honor.
And also Sam and Jonas friendship, because it grew stronger and stronger, because they cared a lot for each other, because Sam got to be fun and more open and I really found it nice to have this big sister / little brother relationship between them.

lonely_star
April 22nd, 2005, 02:16 PM
Thank you so much sueKay for this thread ! :)

Teal'c and Jack friendship because it's a silent one. They don't need words to understand each other. They respect each other and have both a strong sense of honor.

totally agree on those points!! thanks SueKay !!
and Teal'c and Jack's friendship is so great! I love the way they understand each other with a look, an eyebrow raising or just a presence...they always know what the other think, no need to talk or to babble...

but I also like a lot Jack and Daniel and the way their friendship grew and the admiration that Jack has developed and the mutual respect between them...Love when Jack calls Daniel with cute little names like Danny boy or Space monkey... :D :D

Fanwoman
April 22nd, 2005, 02:53 PM
Although it's more of a master and student relationship in the beginning, I've always loved the friendship between Teal'c and Bra'tac. Teal'c has had a difficult, perspective-altering experience being with the Tau'ri, one that few other Jaffa can appreciate other than the worldly wise Bra'tac.

The friendship I find the most dynamic is the one between Jack and Daniel. These are two men who, were it not for the common bond of their experiences, would never have become friends--they're just too different. Many of my favorite episodes involve plots that cause those differences to come into conflict.

For SGA, McKay is the most interesting and complex character for me. So it's his interactions with all the other characters that I enjoy the most.

Favorite friendship scene:

O'NEILL: You are so wrong. It's a perfect analogy. Burns as Goa'uld.

TEAL'C:They are merely animated characters O'Neill.

O'NEILL: You are so shallow.

JACKSON: Oh, please! Teal'c's like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Come on! Tell em how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.

TEAL'C: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.

JACKSON: Oh!! See?

O'NEILL: No more beer for you.
:D

girlgater
April 22nd, 2005, 03:06 PM
My first pick for friendships is definitely Jack and Teal'c. They have such a great friendship--like brothers in fact. The way they have come to each other's defense in numerous situations is very telling.

I also enjoy the friendship between Daniel & Jack. Fanwoman is right in saying that they would have never become friends except for the situation that was thrust upon them. They are very different.

The friendship between Sam & Daniel is also great. After Daniel returned from being ascended, it was Sam that convinced him to come back to SG-1 Their bond is very special too.

Catysg1
April 22nd, 2005, 03:10 PM
I really like the Sam /Teal'c friendship ..He has always been a great supporter to her ...and he sometimes choses to go on a mission with her instead of alone ..like a bodyguard :) He is so protective to her like in new order 1 ( the hand she needed not be swept away into space ) and in Paradise lost/Heroes ( A shoulder to cry on) ...I 'm sure there are many more ...but yes I really like the Sam /Teal'c friendship :)

Caty:)

sueKay
April 23rd, 2005, 09:56 AM
I love the Love/hate relationships in Stargate, such as Jack and Harry in 'Paradise Lost'

Jack: Hell I even got to shoot you!
Harry: Twice!

So funny!

Wrath Of Odin
April 23rd, 2005, 10:00 AM
I love the discussion between Zelenka and Mckay during "The Siege"
McKay "You just admitted I am smarter than you
Zelenka "I did no such thing"
McKay "Yes you did"
:p the scene was priceless :D

yasureubetcha
April 23rd, 2005, 10:05 AM
I love the part in Hide and Seek when Sheppard throws Rodney off the balcony; the looks on their faces are just like little boys pushing each other in a river!

Wrath Of Odin
April 23rd, 2005, 10:08 AM
LMAO:D good one yasureubetcha ;)
I always wanted to see what happend when Sheppard shot him when he had that little sheild of his :D

SimilarCadence
April 23rd, 2005, 11:28 AM
The camaraderie and genuine affection and respect between Jack, Sam, Daniel and Teal'c is what kept drawing me back to SG-1 when I first started watching it. There is a beautiful "family-ness" between them that's very rare.....

I tend to think that the combination of their traumatic backgrounds and the unique, secret nature of their work has had some effect on their friendship. They're all such different people deep down inside (and I think someone has already touched on this) who would most likely never have clicked with each other in more superficial situations. But, because they've often had to rely upon each other in intense life-and-death situations, they've learned to love and trust each other in ways most people haven't had to......

I can't pick out just one particular friendship to comment on because I see it so strongly in all of their relationships with each other. It comes across in different ways depending on who is relating to whom, but the great thing is that it's always there (even in the not-so-obvious episodes).

I know many will disagree with me, but I don't think that the Jack/Sam relationship is going to change any of that. (I'm a Jack/Sam shipper.) I think their bonds with each other run deeply enough to allow a change in group dynamics without any damage being done to their "family-ness"......

(Sorry for running on like that!)

Skydiver
April 23rd, 2005, 12:20 PM
i'm a big fan of the sam/teal'c friendship on the show. how he's always there for her, not judging or criticizing, but simply there. I think that he is her one strength. with jack, jack's her boss. plain and simple. she will never be totally at ease or comfortable with him in a certain way

sam and daniel, they're friends yes, but i don't think as close as her and teal'c. Daniel is her counterpart in a scientific way, while teal'c will see her military side. and i think caty was right, teal'c is her big brother in a way

the other one i enjoyed was sam and jonas. i think with jonas she could relax a bit. i think with daniel sam was always a bit aware that he was jack's 'old friend' and maybe not totally comfortable with him. some of this i even attribute to Jolinar. Sam was blended and survived, while shau'ri was and didn't. and it may have been true that jols knew where shau'ri was and sam couldn't remember.

but with jonas, i think that sam could be his big sister. she had someone to tease and be at ease with.

i also agree that the jonas/teal'c dynamic was a fun one. teal'c got to stop being the token alien and got to be a mentor to jonas. they were a lot of fun to watch.

Osiris-RA
April 23rd, 2005, 12:22 PM
This would probably be the Daneil/Sam ship. Yep. Not really a romance but a very good freindship. Awwwwwww!!!

sueKay
April 23rd, 2005, 12:47 PM
Do you know what I found strange...I think Jonas got along better with Daniel than any other member of SG1.

Skydiver
April 23rd, 2005, 07:30 PM
Do you know what I found strange...I think Jonas got along better with Daniel than any other member of SG1.

jonas and daniel had great camraderie. i thin kthat's the biggest shame about the character leaving, i really think he could have fit in well, especially as rda cut back his time

Buc252
April 23rd, 2005, 07:41 PM
I guess my personal favorites for friendship would be Sam/Jonas, and Teal'c/Jonas. Jonas brought a new dynamic that was so much for for both veterans, you couldn't help but smile. I also think he and Daniel could have been great together (as friends) if they'd had the chance. Even what we got to see was fantastic. Jack and Teal'c are the best in friends, and I can see them being such no matter what happened in the future. Nothing could break that friendship.

I'm not a huge Daniel fan, but I really, really, really never got the idea that there's that much of a Jack/Daniel friendship. They work together and yes, they care for each other. But if they had to be in the same room alone together, without Sam or Teal'c to referee, I think they'd kill each other. Their friendship seems to be the most vague, to me. Kind of like those people you're incredible friends with when you work together, but after one of you leaves his/her employment, you never talk again. That's how Jack and Daniel strike me.

And, of course, Jack and Sam are great friends, but went on to something more, so I won't expound too much on that here. <g>

Lys
April 24th, 2005, 12:27 AM
I'm not a huge Daniel fan, but I really, really, really never got the idea that there's that much of a Jack/Daniel friendship. They work together and yes, they care for each other. But if they had to be in the same room alone together, without Sam or Teal'c to referee, I think they'd kill each other. Their friendship seems to be the most vague, to me. Kind of like those people you're incredible friends with when you work together, but after one of you leaves his/her employment, you never talk again. That's how Jack and Daniel strike me.

Thank you Buc for saying that. I feel the same way regarding Jack and Daniel friendship. I think they get along well because they both like conflict. I've never been the one who understands friendship where everyone is bickering.
Sometimes I wonder if Jack really missed Daniel in season 6 or rather verbal conflict. :S

Agent_Dark
April 24th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Sam/Barrett I thought was a great dynamic. Ok, maybe not 'friends' but defiantly good at working together :)

ShimmeringStar
April 24th, 2005, 03:29 AM
The camaraderie and genuine affection and respect between Jack, Sam, Daniel and Teal'c is what kept drawing me back to SG-1 when I first started watching it. There is a beautiful "family-ness" between them that's very rare.....

I tend to think that the combination of their traumatic backgrounds and the unique, secret nature of their work has had some effect on their friendship. They're all such different people deep down inside (and I think someone has already touched on this) who would most likely never have clicked with each other in more superficial situations. But, because they've often had to rely upon each other in intense life-and-death situations, they've learned to love and trust each other in ways most people haven't had to......
I can't pick out just one particular friendship to comment on because I see it so strongly in all of their relationships with each other. It comes across in different ways depending on who is relating to whom, but the great thing is that it's always there (even in the not-so-obvious episodes).

I know many will disagree with me, but I don't think that the Jack/Sam relationship is going to change any of that. (I'm a Jack/Sam shipper.) I think their bonds with each other run deeply enough to allow a change in group dynamics without any damage being done to their "family-ness"......

(Sorry for running on like that!)(RE: bolded part above) And learning to appreciate their differences enriched their lives in so many ways, not just those different skills and strengths that they brought to the team, but also on the personal level. (Jack teaching Teal'c to loosen up, Dan making Jack rethink his self-worth (watched Abyss today... :) :p ), Janet being Sam's sounding board & friend...)

I agree with you that the Jack/Sam ship didn’t change anything in the general friendships of the team. If anything, it would be the natural changes and progression in their circumstances (careers/interests/etc.)… (General S8 & S9 spoilers) Jack becoming base commander in S8 & having to pull back from each of them in order to maintain professional integrity (those fraternization regs that applied to S/J ship applied just as equally to his friendships)… Sam in S8 heading SG1… In S9, with Jack off to Washington, there most definitely won’t be any day-to-day face-to-face contact like there was before. And with Teal’c’s involvement in the Jaffa movement and Daniel recovering again from ascension/rethinking his place in the program and life… things will be different as they’re all growing and reaching in different directions…
But like with all of us in RL, they would be able pick right up where they left off the last time they saw each other like there hadn’t been a lot of time in between contacts, so…..

Dani347
April 24th, 2005, 07:19 AM
I started watching the show for Daniel. Then for the Jack and Daniel friendship. And, as far as their fighting being evidence that they aren't close friends, I think it was quite the opposite. What made their friendship so special was that they did push each others buttons. If friendship only means getting along all the time and being chummy chummy, than I can see where people would say they weren't really friends. But, that's only one kind of friendship. I've read books and watched other tv shows where two characters never seemed to agree, and argued all the time, but it was clear that they were best friends. Sean and Christian on Nip/Tuck have had some huge misunderstandings/battles/betrayals, but I don't think they love (and I'm not a slasher, so I don't mean it like that, although others have seen it) anyone more than each other. Bayliss and Pembleton on Homicide also on the surface at times seemed like they couldn't stand each other, but they were my favorite pairing on the show. And, in the literary realm, the friendship of Emily and Ilse in LM Montgomery books was defined by fighting. There was a chapter where Emily knew there was a rift between them because they weren't fighting. No, to me, fighting has never indicated that people weren't close. And, think about it. Would someone get into fights as big as in Menace (which I think was one of the best friendship episodes between them) with someone you were only a little close to? It's the people you care about the most that can hurt you the most. Also, Jack and Daniel are just argumentative people, and putting them together means they get ample opportunites to exercize that trait.

Maybe it's also because I personally do a lot of arguing myself with people I care about. My family argues a lot, and you'd think we hate each other but we don't. Some of it is serious, some of it is just heated debates, because I love a good debate. And, I know I'm comfortable with a person when I can fight with them. I don't fight with casual aquaintances.

I don't think Daniel would have broken down like he did in Need with anyone but Jack. And, although he was high as a kite, I think there was some truth to what he said about him feeling Jack didn't respect him (just to make sure there's no misunderstanding of my post, I'll emphasize that there was truth that Daniel felt that way). And, I don't think it would have mattered as much to him if he had perceived a lack of respect in anyone but Jack. He trusted Jack to let him go in Meridian. Daniel may not see eye to eye with Jack in most things. They may have battles to blow the roof off the SGC. But, I don't think Daniel loves anyone more than Jack.

And, Jack was completely distraught in Fire and Water when he thought Daniel was dead. He was ready to retire. In Abyss, even after he knew Daniel wasn't going to kill him, he still gave up after he thought Daniel had left. The complete sadness and resignation when he told Daniel, "you were gone," said to me that he had lost all will to fight, even internally.

And, although they fight (and there haven't to me been that many cases of real fighting, sometimes it's ribbing each other and banter) they also understand each other. They believe in each other. I forgot what episode it was, but I liked where Jack said he might not always believe Daniel, but he always believes in him. And, even though it was a dream/hallucination iirc, I think the sentiment was true.

So, no, the friendship isn't easy. It's not a friendship that springs naturally between them, where they go off to ball games together and are buddy buddy. Daniel was right in Shades of Grey when he talked about this this friendship that they were working on. I think to most people, a friendship that does require actual work doesn't seem like a real friendship compared to ones that come easy. But, what makes this friendship so interesting to me, and so strong to me, is the fact that are wiling to work at it. (except when tptb get it into their heads that they barely know each other) If they didn't care, they'd take the easy way out.

And, I always thought that the first season at least there should have been more tension between Daniel and Teal'c, and it would have made their friendship even stronger. I guess I'm drawn to friendships that work not because if, but in spite of.

yasureubetcha
April 24th, 2005, 10:52 AM
I agree that friendship can't be measured by agreement.

My current roommate and I have never come into direct conflict over the past year, though there are many things on which we disagree. I think we both know that what relation we have would quickly grow strained if we got into religion, politics, or even Stargate vs. the Real World. She has her life, I have mine, and the two only superficially interact.
Meanwhile my best friends and I can disagree on (and debate) everything from the Sam/Jack situation to theology without it ruining our friendship.
I don't necessarily think disagreement builds a friendship, but that the freedom to disagree is a part of a strong friendship.
That seems to be Jack and Daniel's situation; they work closely together in a way that often brings their philosophies into conflict, but they have "watched each other's backs" often enough to know that those differences won't stop them from looking out for each other. By working through their disagreements they have built a relationship that conflict doesn't break.

Regarding Sam/Jack's effect on SG1's friendship dynamic...I don't think the 'ship in itself shuts out the other friendships, but I do feel, as in my last post, that friendship is sometimes shoved aside in favor of 'ship in an episode, when it shouldn't be. That's more a complaint against the writers' priorities than the 'ship itself, though.

I do feel that Sam and Jack's friendship has suffered as a result of the 'shippy awkwardness that has ensued since Divide and Conquer. My favorite Sam and Jack scene is the bit in Nemesis where he teases her about not leaving and invites her fishing. I would have liked to see her accept his invitation then, as a friend. But after D&C, any sweet potential friendship-moments between them became muddled (in my mind) by the is-it-friendship-or-is-it-'ship dilemma. Personally, I would rather have seen their relationship grow stronger as friends from that point in Nemesis than blossom (or wither, depending on your viewpoint :p) into 'ship.

Dani347
April 24th, 2005, 11:25 AM
I don't think Jack and Daniel are friends because they argue, more that the fact that they argue isn't evidence that they aren't friends, imo. I would say the way they acted in season 7, hardly any interaction, no emotion between them was better evidence that they were only coworkers than the fact that they fight. Fighting indicates two things. You hate each other or you care maybe too much. Not indifference. Not a mere work relationship.SG1 has always been categorized as a real team. A family. So, I can't go with they hate each other. Ergo, they love (platonically) each other.

And, besides the many many reasons I hate J/S ship, I always valued the friendships among all the teammates. And, I don't want friendship 'and' whwn friendship was always enough. It's why it always gets my goat when someone says Sam and Jack have to get together so they won't be alone (or Daniel needs a girlfriend). Written and acted correctly, no one on SG1 is ever alone. Wuthout any romantic attachments whatsoever, each one has three people who love them. Everyone should be so lucky.

sueKay
April 24th, 2005, 11:27 AM
As much as I'd love S/J ship to continue...If it's going to affect the friendships within the team...then I'd prefer it to stop and to focus on the friendships...IMVHO I don't think S/Js been to the detriment of other character relationships, and I actually think it's given up some really touching moments, particularly with Teal'c and Sam in Paradise Lost.

Tucker Case
April 24th, 2005, 01:49 PM
I guess I'm drawn to friendships that work not because if, but in spite of.

The friendships that beat the odds, you mean? The ones that overcome all obstacles and differences because they're worth the trouble?

I like those, too. Probaly because I see my relationship with my best friend mirrored in them. He and I are in the same line of work and have similar tastes in movies and travel destinations but, apart from that, we disagree on just about everything except that we love each other and would do anything for each other. I'm allowed to be my difficult, obstinate and occasionally peevish self with him and there are no words for how much I treasure that.

I always thought that the first season at least there should have been more tension between Daniel and Teal'c, and it would have made their friendship even stronger.

I think so, too, but it might have been a bit dangerous for the writers to go there. Jack and Daniel's differences were philosophical (to put it simply), not personal. They could argue the leaves off the trees and never give the impression that there was it was game over and no coming back, and you could agree with one or the other in that argument without feeling like you were taking sides.

Things were very personal between Daniel and Teal'c, and I don't know how much increased tension the situation could have taken without either Daniel seeming too cold and unforgiving or it seeming wrong or cruel or whatever for "the poor kid" to be made to work alongside the man who hand-picked his wife for her awful fate. I was okay with them achieving the level of peace they did as soon as they did, I just perhaps wish there had been a little more attention given to the process.

Although that's probably what you're saying.

The friendship that has developed between them is one of my favourite things about the show now. That scene of theirs from 'Avatar,' the "Yes it is, that's why I'm here" scene, is far and away my favourite "between team members" scene in all of Season 8.

TC

Dani347
April 24th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Actually, I wouldn't have minded maybe an episode of Daniel being cold and unforgiving, and having to work through that. I loved Secrets where Daniel says he couldn't be safer than in the company of Teal'c (and Teal'c seemed really touched), and I know he must have had to battle his own prejudice and maybe even hate to get to that point. I guess I just like to see the process in action. But, yes, one satisfying thing with the later seasons, especially Avatar, was the Daniel and Teal'c friendship.

yasureubetcha
April 24th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Actually, I wouldn't have minded maybe an episode of Daniel being cold and unforgiving, and having to work through that.
Forever in a Day was kind of like that, though he was refusing to forgive Teal'c for killing Sha're, not for picking her as a host.

Tucker Case
April 24th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Actually, I wouldn't have minded maybe an episode of Daniel being cold and unforgiving, and having to work through that.

Well, he did that in 'Forever In A Day.' Maybe it was for the best that they saved it for that episode. It might have lessened the impact if it was something we had seen them go through once before, and it gave Sha're a chance to have her say at the same time.

I loved Secrets where Daniel says he couldn't be safer than in the company of Teal'c (and Teal'c seemed really touched)...

He did. I think, sometimes, he sees Daniel as a sort of touchstone for his redemption. So many years in the service of Apophis, forced to commit how many atrocities, bring harm and loss to so many people, and Daniel, I highly suspect, was the first one of those people to forgive him.

O'Neill gave him the opening, but Daniel gave him what might well have been the first touch of grace he ever knew, made his redemption not just possible but real. I imagine it must have done Daniel a world of good, at the time, too

I really hope this extraordinary little friendship of theirs isn't lost next year in all the hubbub of the new relationships.

TC

sueKay
April 25th, 2005, 12:24 AM
The friendship between Daniel and Teal'c is a very complex one that I think deserves more focus. Forever in a day was one of the last times we really saw that tension (i think)

Tucker Case
April 25th, 2005, 07:00 AM
The friendship between Daniel and Teal'c is a very complex one that I think deserves more focus. Forever in a day was one of the last times we really saw that tension (i think)

I don’t think that tension has been played since ‘FIAD,’ but then I think that episode was meant to close the book on it, as well. Daniel’s forgiveness doesn’t mean much if he’s still carrying a grudge, and I think they needed to avoid the appearance of Teal’c being in a constant state of “trying to make it up” to him.”

I loved the scene in ‘Fallen’ where Teal’c – poor thing – had to once again, for the third time, be the one to take Sha’re away from Daniel (because for those few moments between waking up and taking the picture to Teal’c’s quarters, Daniel had her again, she was as alive to him as she had been in four years). The gentleness of that scene bespoke an old loss and a shared sorrow. Regret, but no tension, no old resentments. That felt right.

The turning point that seems to drive the friendship now came in ‘The Changeling.’ Teal’c has that whole “eternally grateful” thing going on with Daniel. I don’t think he necessarily feels beholden to Daniel or has an elevated opinion of him – Teal’c has always had a very clear understanding that Daniel’s essential “Daniel-ness” supercedes whatever form he takes – but he has enormous faith in Daniel, and I think, as Daniel’s memories were returning in Season 7, that faith is what finally brought him fully home. Because it was the very human Daniel Teal’c had such faith in, and not the one who perhaps “could be doing more” if he were still ascended.

It’s a neat thing, they have. Daniel and Jack have the “old married couple” angle covered, while Teal’c and Jack have that whole unspoken “warrior bond” thing; but Teal’c and Daniel have this very open, heartfelt and articulated “as long as there’s the two of us, we can beat anything” quality about them that the likes of Frodo and Sam could relate to. They can be so wonderfully earnest with each other.

I think they’re about ready for some tension though. If things are as tense overall between the Jaffa and the Tau’ri as the spoilers indicate it should be interesting to see how that affects the Teal’c’s relationship with Daniel – and with Sam, upon her return.

Sam could actually be a really good gauge of how far things have gone, if she isn’t there to experience the gradual breakdown of relations and, instead, experiences what to her must feel like a sudden sea change. Lots of cool stuff for them to explore with Teal’c, Sam and Daniel, especially now that they’re really “on their own,” without Jack to play head-of-the-family.

TC

sueKay
April 25th, 2005, 09:05 AM
One thing that does strike me is that Sha're was 'dispatched' of rather stupidly...couldn't he have shot her in the foot? No...He had to shoot her in the chest...The most half-baked character exit ever :(

Although Jack is by far my favourite character, I am looking forward too seeing how Daniel, Sam and Teal'c cope without him being there and how they cope to Cameron Mitchell. One thing that worries me though is Sam After seeing Vala's new look...I hope they aren't going to do the same...That and the fact that most of Sam's fan club are turning up again (Barrett and Orlin (the two that aren't dead)). I had hoped we were passed defining Sam by her relationships with men.

But that's just MVHO.

Tucker Case
April 25th, 2005, 09:25 AM
One thing that does strike me is that Sha're was 'dispatched' of rather stupidly...couldn't he have shot her in the foot? No...He had to shoot her in the chest...The most half-baked character exit ever

Well , yes, but it got me 'FIAD,' one of my all-time favourite episodes, so I'm willing to overlook Teal'c's, um, "over-aggressive" tactics. I rationalise it to myself by saying he did the one that was sure to save Daniel's life rather than take any chances trying to "wing" her.

One thing that worries me though is Sam After seeing Vala's new look...I hope they aren't going to do the same...That and the fact that most of Sam's fan club are turning up again (Barrett and Orlin (the two that aren't dead)). I had hoped we were passed defining Sam by her relationships with men.

It could go one of two ways, I think. Either Vala's outfit means more tank-tops, leather and impossible heels for Sam, or her presence, and that of Carolyn Lam, will take some of the pressure off Sam in the "hot babe" department and she can go back to dressing like a serious career officer.

As for the return of Sam's "fan club" - Barrett, Orlin and the possibility of Joe Faxon - I don't know what to think. It's a bit disheartening just looking back and realising how many times they used a man to tie Sam to a particular story, let alone facing the prospect of them continuing down this road. You'd think it would be enough that she has several new charaters to deal with on a professional level, ones she might even make just-plain-friends with. Barrett's cool, Orlin can be cute and I quite like Joe, but I'm more interested in seeing her deal with Mitchell, Landry and Lam and really wish she could run up against Vala, just once.

Oh, and cope with the lack-of-Jack alongside Daniel and Teal'c, of course.

TC

sueKay
April 25th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Personally...I hated Joe Faxon...but Orlin and Barrett are interesting characters in their own rights...I for one would like to see a lot more of Barrett and despite the cliche of being yet another male falling for Sam...I think they have an interesting professional relationship too.

I'd like to see more conflict between the characters this year. I loved the early bickering between Jack and Daniel, and that has been sorely missed the past few seasons. I'd like Sam and Lam (hee hee hee) to butt heads once in a while.

shelsfc
April 25th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Jack & Daniel's friendship is by far my favourite relationship on the show...although I do think we've seen far too little of it recently. And I'm going to miss it terribly next year. They argue so much but there's a very deep mutual respect there that I think is the basis of their friendship. I wish they had explored it a bit more though. Same with Daniel & Jonas - that could have been a great realtionship, there seemed to be a good chemistry between them.

Actually, I'm a bit worried that S9 is supposed to have lots more action, because I'd rather see character development. I like the action, but I hope they don't pour so much into that that they neglect the relationships between the characters. It may be even more important this year with all the new characters.

sueKay
April 25th, 2005, 12:19 PM
The relationships with the characters IMHO should always come first...What I love about Sci Fi, and SG1 in particular, is how it studies us. I love seeing how characters react in different environments and dealing with fantastic things happening, such as Jack's 'innappropriate sarcasm' and daniel's excitement.

yasureubetcha
April 26th, 2005, 10:30 PM
I really like the multiple-person friendship moments, too, like Teal'c and Jack showing up at Sam's house with Star Wars, or the part of Upgrades where it's just a given for Teal'c that he's not leaving. The scenes with the team all together are my favorites, though. It gives us a chance to see the relationships between them in subtle, everyday interaction and lighthearted banter, instead of beers and hugs :D. Don't get me wrong, those are important friendship-staples too, but I like the way the team's camaraderie comes through in little stuff.

sueKay
April 27th, 2005, 03:42 AM
I love the scenes at Sam's house and the scenes at Jack's house.

And Teal'c apartment in Affinity was pretty funny :D

I think when the team meet up outside of work, it shows us what good friends they are.

Personally, I'd love to see another pool game at O'Malleys!

yasureubetcha
May 4th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Upgrades was amazing...:D

I haven't seen many Atlantis episodes, but I liked the interaction between Sheppard and Ford in Suspicion; kind of like a big brother/little brother relationship.

I also like Sheppard's standing up for Teyla; I'd rather see that develop into a strong friendship than a 'ship. Though the problem with that is we'd never know exactly which we were seeing :S.

wraith816
May 4th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Well, as you can probably tell, I'm a huge fan of the Jack/Daniel friendship (not just in a slashy way). That's what really drew me to the show...the banter and jokes and general sense that they really care about each other. Abyss has always been my favorite episode, because you can really see how deep their friendship runs...Daniel would skirt the rules and risk being de-glowed just to help Jack.
I love to see how they've rubbed off on each other over the years...a lot of people have commented on Daniel sounding more and more like Jack in the past season or so. And it was with Daniel's help that Jack was able to get over Charlie's death.
I'll watch season 9, and I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it, but my favorite part of the show will be gone, and that'll be hard.

Second favorite would have to be the Sam/Daniel friendship in the earlier seasons. I've heard them refered to as the "Wonder Twins" and that's what I really see them as...almost brother and sister. They're both the brains of the SGC, and when they get to working on a problem, there's no stopping them.

The Jack/Teal'c friendship is also great...Tangent is my favorite ep for that. It's a bond borne of mutual respect, and a deep understanding. Both of them have had to do "damned distasteful things", so they can comprehend each other in a way Sam and Daniel can't quite.

I would love to see more development of the Sam/Teal'c friendship...I think it's the one dynamic that is painfully under-utilised. We've got a lot of J/D, J/S, and S/D moments, but there are comaparatively few S/T ones. I would really like them to focus more on that in season 9.

Skydiver
May 4th, 2005, 06:18 PM
sam/teal'c has been very ignored. whether you like just friendship or more, well s&t fans usually get a scene or two a season

they have gotten a bit better with it, like in paradise lost and space race

Lida
May 7th, 2005, 07:32 PM
sam/teal'c has been very ignored. whether you like just friendship or more, well s&t fans usually get a scene or two a season

And don't forget the hug scene in Heroes, Pt 2, when Teal'C finds Sam crying, trying to write the Janet's euology. I thought that was a very moving scene and showed the emotion they felt, not only for one another, but for Dr. Frasier.

Osiris-RA
May 7th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Sam/Teal'c has been strangly ignored, I too believe. The friendship, I mean. Same with Danny and Sam, Good buds! That's all it is! :)

Purpleyin
May 8th, 2005, 12:39 AM
I think on group friendships for SGA the Hide and Seek football watching scene is quite nice - it's one of the few occasions we see the team relaxing together.

Hywel
May 8th, 2005, 03:26 AM
I liked the scene at the beginning of "The Brotherhood" when Sheppard, Teyla and Ford are messing about and annoy McKay by not working. There was another cool scene in "The Gift" where McKay says "I've got a little...." then Ford proceeds to make fun of him. They're just two scenes that add a bit of reality to the characters.

John_Sheppard
May 8th, 2005, 04:05 AM
Lol, I liked those 2. My fav scene of all time so far though has gotta be the push of the balcony in Hide and Seek.

I recon Shep and Kay are good mates, I like seeing those two battle it out. And Daniel and Jack in Sg-1 were cool too.

I love the drinking scene in SG-1 when Daniels talking about how "deep" Teal'c is and Apohphis as Mr. Burns or something.

Anyone know what episode that was?

twiggy
May 8th, 2005, 10:38 AM
i really like the friendships in SG1, and i hope to see more and more in SGA

wraith816
May 8th, 2005, 10:42 AM
I love the drinking scene in SG-1 when Daniels talking about how "deep" Teal'c is and Apohphis as Mr. Burns or something.

Anyone know what episode that was?
That was "Lost City" part 1.

Jack: You are so wrong. It's a perfect analogy. Burns as Goa'uld.

Teal'c: They are merely animated characters O'Neill.

Jack: You are so shallow.

Daniel:Oh Please! Teal'c’s like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Come on! Tell 'em how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.

Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.

Daniel: Oh!! See?

Jack: No more beer for you.

Sam: I'm sorry sir, but I have to agree. I don't see the connection.

Jack: All right that does it. You know the entire VHS collection was going to one of you. It's going to Siler. He gets it.

Frostfox
May 8th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Well, I've pinned my colours fairly obviously to the Jack/Daniel friendship (in all it's forms) but I'm really hoping for some good Sam/Daniel and Sam/Teal'c in season nine now she can come out from under the shadow of Jack/Sam.

John_Sheppard
May 8th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Yeah, Sam and Daniel are good to watch together. They make good friends.

And thanks for the quotes Wraith ... man I love that scene. Going to go watch it now ... okay - well maybe in a few.

wraith816
May 8th, 2005, 03:52 PM
And thanks for the quotes Wraith ... man I love that scene. Going to go watch it now ... okay - well maybe in a few.
No prob! :D

Love that part...drunk Daniel is so darned funny. :)

sunstar
May 9th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Well, as you can probably tell, I'm a huge fan of the Jack/Daniel friendship (not just in a slashy way). That's what really drew me to the show...the banter and jokes and general sense that they really care about each other. Abyss has always been my favorite episode, because you can really see how deep their friendship runs...Daniel would skirt the rules and risk being de-glowed just to help Jack.
I love to see how they've rubbed off on each other over the years...a lot of people have commented on Daniel sounding more and more like Jack in the past season or so. And it was with Daniel's help that Jack was able to get over Charlie's death.
I'll watch season 9, and I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it, but my favorite part of the show will be gone, and that'll be hard.

Second favorite would have to be the Sam/Daniel friendship in the earlier seasons. I've heard them refered to as the "Wonder Twins" and that's what I really see them as...almost brother and sister. They're both the brains of the SGC, and when they get to working on a problem, there's no stopping them.

The Jack/Teal'c friendship is also great...Tangent is my favorite ep for that. It's a bond borne of mutual respect, and a deep understanding. Both of them have had to do "damned distasteful things", so they can comprehend each other in a way Sam and Daniel can't quite.

I would love to see more development of the Sam/Teal'c friendship...I think it's the one dynamic that is painfully under-utilised. We've got a lot of J/D, J/S, and S/D moments, but there are comaparatively few S/T ones. I would really like them to focus more on that in season 9.

Completely agree with all of that. J/S moments are second only to J/D moments, especially from the earlier series’. Something I did miss in series 8 was the Jack and General Hammond moments, especially the ones where Jack is complaining about someone else

sueKay
May 12th, 2005, 01:46 AM
I just love ALL the different character interractions, but I also like it when they get on each others' nerves too. I watched Red Sky last night and I saw that even when Sam and Daniel are livid with Jack for his actions, they still patch things up and come out of it as strong friends.
One of my favourite EVER scenes was Lost City Part one at Jack's house. Gotta love a drunk Danny boy! :D

ps. rate this thread please!

Hex.FTB.enabled
May 12th, 2005, 05:42 AM
Aw, just found this thread, great idea. The Jack/Daniel friendship is one of the things that hooked me. I hadn't seen the movie, but Need was one of the first episoses I saw and the seen at the end between them was incredibly poignant.

I always liked the little moment in A Matter of Time, when he puts his hand on her shoulder and is trying to be supportive. Very sweet. :)

Killdeer
May 28th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Here's me again....just trying to revive old threads. Don't mind me, it's just a hobby! :) Actually, I think some of these are good threads, so... here's hoping!

One of the things I love about Stargate is the friendships. Jack & Daniel, Sam & Daniel, Sam & Janet, Teal'c & Jack, Teal'c & Daniel, Daniel & Mitchell (although we didn't get near enough of those, IMHO)...... and on the SGA side, John and Rodney, John and Ronon, Teyla and Ronon, Rodney and Weir....

I know there's a lot of focus on romantic ships, but is there anyone else out there, who like me, watches for the friendship moments?

Here's one to start off. My favorite Sam & Daniel moment is in Cold Lazarus, when they team up to solve the mystery of the crystals, and talk Teal'c into firing his staff weapon in the gateroom.

SGLAB
May 28th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I definitely love the friendships. While I ship some in fanon, I'll take the friendships any day over the ship in canon.

On SGA my favorite friendships would be between Shep, Mckay and Weir or any combination there of. Whenever I think of the episode The Gift it is always the scene in Weir's office with her, Mckay and Sheppard. It's such a fun scene. At one point Elizabeth sticks up a finger while reading something on her computer and Rodney sticks up his own finger mimicking her looking at her like "WTF" and John just looks on with an odd expression. :D

Liv
December 10th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Page 12? That just doesn't seem very right.

Here's me again....just trying to revive old threads. Don't mind me, it's just a hobby! :) Actually, I think some of these are good threads, so... here's hoping!

I think I'll join you in that hobby. ;) Fingers crossed we can get some discussion going again.

I know there's a lot of focus on romantic ships, but is there anyone else out there, who like me, watches for the friendship moments?
Absolutely. I know that for me personally, the friendship moments between the characters are so much more poignant than the "Will they/Won't they/Are they already in love? But-then-how-come-they're-not-showing-it? Wait, they ARE! Except, no, not really" - scenes could ever hope to be. I just love the idea of people caring for one another so much that they'd do anything for them, without any kind of romance entering into the equation.

Maybe I’m just overly tired of the notion that every male/female lead on every show out there who are single and who interact with each other must invariably end up together. I'll add a disclaimer and say that I am extremely, extremely anti Sam/Jack - for numerous reasons (in fact it's hard for me to think of any other ship that bothers me as much as this one does)- but the ONE good thing the S/J ship *did* bring to the show is the fact that Sam was allowed some real friendship moments with Cameron in season 9 and 10. No UST or awkward 'shipping as far as the eye could see. (At least not as far as MY eye could see :P) And I'm so very happy about that! I especially love their interaction in ”Line in the Sand” and ”Arthur's Mantle”. Also, the hug in ”Ethon” is very sweet. :)

Over on SGA I'm particularly fond of the tea scene in "Tao of Rodney" between Teyla and McKay. I thought that that was such a lovely scene and I wish we could get more friendship moments between the two of them. Come to think of it, how many times have Rodney and Teyla actually had a conversation - one on one with each other - during these 3 ½ seasons? There's the "Tao" scene and there was one in ”Epiphany” and then... I'm honestly drawing a blank here. Three+ seasons and those two scenes are what's coming to mind. There's some missed opportunities there, methinks.

There was also that cute ”Umm... shotgun?” scene at the beginning of ”Submersion” (although, that wasn't one on one. ;)). But Teyla's facial expression was priceless and I also loved Rodney's reaction to her. :D See?! There should be more of that! * sigh * Oh well, there's always season 5, I guess. ;)

SGLAB
December 10th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Page 12? That just doesn't seem very right.

I think I'll join you in that hobby. ;) Fingers crossed we can get some discussion going again.

Absolutely. I know that for me personally, the friendship moments between the characters are so much more poignant than the "Will they/Won't they/Are they already in love? But-then-how-come-they're-not-showing-it? Wait, they ARE! Except, no, not really" - scenes could ever hope to be. I just love the idea of people caring for one another so much that they'd do anything for them, without any kind of romance entering into the equation.

Maybe I’m just overly tired of the notion that every male/female lead on every show out there who are single and who interact with each other must invariably end up together. I'll add a disclaimer and say that I am extremely, extremely anti Sam/Jack - for numerous reasons (in fact it's hard for me to think of any other ship that bothers me as much as this one does)- but the ONE good thing the S/J ship *did* bring to the show is the fact that Sam was allowed some real friendship moments with Cameron in season 9 and 10. No UST or awkward 'shipping as far as the eye could see. (At least not as far as MY eye could see :P) And I'm so very happy about that! I especially love their interaction in ”Line in the Sand” and ”Arthur's Mantle”. Also, the hug in ”Ethon” is very sweet. :)

Over on SGA I'm particularly fond of the tea scene in "Tao of Rodney" between Teyla and McKay. I thought that that was such a lovely scene and I wish we could get more friendship moments between the two of them. Come to think of it, how many times have Rodney and Teyla actually had a conversation - one on one with each other - during these 3 ½ seasons? There's the "Tao" scene and there was one in ”Epiphany” and then... I'm honestly drawing a blank here. Three+ seasons and those two scenes are what's coming to mind. There's some missed opportunities there, methinks.

There was also that cute ”Umm... shotgun?” scene at the beginning of ”Submersion” (although, that wasn't one on one. ;)). But Teyla's facial expression was priceless and I also loved Rodney's reaction to her. :D See?! There should be more of that! * sigh * Oh well, there's always season 5, I guess. ;)

Oh friendship thread. Yay. Talking of good Teyla and Rodney friendship moments there was one in Vengeance. It was when Rodney was looking over Michael's research. That had some good lines:

Taken from Gateworld transcript.

McKAY: You’d think that the human side of him would temper his aggression a bit.

TEYLA: Yes -- because we humans aren’t aggressive at all.

McKAY: Well, certainly less aggressive than, uh ... (He looks up and rolls his eyes.) Oh, sarcasm. Yeah. Nice.

And then

TEYLA: Perhaps he was a scientist.

McKAY (a little distracted): Huh. Sure. Probably. Why not? One of their very best, I’d wager.

TEYLA: Like you.

(Rodney lifts his head briefly, not sure whether to take that as a compliment or not.)

The scenes between these two are usually half way through by the time it occurrs to me they have a scene together.

Liv
December 11th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Oh friendship thread. Yay. Talking of good Teyla and Rodney friendship moments there was one in Vengeance. It was when Rodney was looking over Michael's research. That had some good lines:

Taken from Gateworld transcript.

McKAY: You’d think that the human side of him would temper his aggression a bit.

TEYLA: Yes -- because we humans aren’t aggressive at all.

McKAY: Well, certainly less aggressive than, uh ... (He looks up and rolls his eyes.) Oh, sarcasm. Yeah. Nice.

And then

TEYLA: Perhaps he was a scientist.

McKAY (a little distracted): Huh. Sure. Probably. Why not? One of their very best, I’d wager.

TEYLA: Like you.

(Rodney lifts his head briefly, not sure whether to take that as a compliment or not.)

The scenes between these two are usually half way through by the time it occurrs to me they have a scene together.

Oh, yeah, I forgot all about that scene! :)

I rewatched the episode because I couldn't remember much of it (it's not a favorite of mine, mainly because Michael's army of bug creatures didn't really appeal to me all that much ;) ) but I LOVE the opening scene - with Ronon teaching Rodney how to defend himself... In his own special way.

Ronon: ”Eyes straight ahead. Focus on me. Never, ever look away from your enemy!”

*Ronon whacks McKay with the stick*

Ronon: ”You're getting better.”
Rodney: ”Really?”
Ronon: ”No.”

:D :D

I really want more Ronon/Rodney scenes in season 5 too (as well as the latter half of season 4)!

SGLAB
December 11th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Oh yeah, that opening scene between Ronon and Rodney was great. There definitely needs to be more scenes between them. :D

Killdeer
December 19th, 2007, 03:47 AM
So what are some of the best friendship moments of the season so far? Between anyone? I'll start -

I liked Teyla and Ronon's stick fight and conversation in Reunion - they know each other so well. Great scene. :)

Egle01
December 28th, 2007, 08:17 AM
I really do miss close friendship between Sam and Daniel. It was lost in S9 and S10, when Daniel was busy with Vala and Sam bonded with Cam.
I love how close SG-1 was as a team. And by that I mean :jack::sam::daniel::tealc: .
They all stood up for each other. Very beautiful thing to see and sometimes feel off the screen. In S9 and S10 I didn't feel such closeness. Yes, they were more loose. But it wasn't the same. Not for me.

Can't say much about SGA. Nothing to say. I don't see much close friendship. Maybe John and Rodney.

Killdeer
December 28th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Can't say much about SGA. Nothing to say. I don't see much close friendship. Maybe John and Rodney.

Personally, I see closer friendships in SGA than SG-1, but that's me.

John and Rodney
Rodney and Elizabeth
John and Elizabeth
Teyla and Ronon
Ronon and John
Rodney and Carson
Rodney and Zelenka

Rodney and Ronon had some good moments in S3, although I don't know that I would call them close friends.

Egle01
December 31st, 2007, 06:17 AM
Personally, I see closer friendships in SGA than SG-1, but that's me.

Well, I believe they have many seasons ahead to get closer. Remember, SG-1 had 10 years. ;)

And counting. I hope.

Nikki
December 31st, 2007, 06:32 AM
I really do miss close friendship between Sam and Daniel. It was lost in S9 and S10, when Daniel was busy with Vala and Sam bonded with Cam.
I love how close SG-1 was as a team. And by that I mean :jack::sam::daniel::tealc: .
They all stood up for each other. Very beautiful thing to see and sometimes feel off the screen. In S9 and S10 I didn't feel such closeness. Yes, they were more loose. But it wasn't the same. Not for me.

I agree 100%. However, I believe there are close friendships between the Atlantis cast as well but nothing like what we saw with :jack::sam::tealc::daniel:.

jckfan55
December 31st, 2007, 10:39 AM
Yeah, the original SG1 team was something special.

poundpuppy29
January 1st, 2008, 11:03 AM
I really enjoy the Sam and Daniel Friendship and I really only see friendship between Teyla and Sheppard. Ronon and Rodney have interesting friendship too.

Trek_Girl42
January 6th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Yay! A friendshippers thread! Currently on Atlantis I'm a big fan of Rodney and Zelenka- and many of the wonderful moments we've had from them this season, especially at the end of "This Mortal Coil". Also, enjoyed the entirety of Teyla and Keller in "Missing"- I definitely hope we see more of them in the future. And then Weir and Rodney I've always enjoyed watching, as well as Rodney and *sniff* Beckett. And Rodney and Sam!

Yup, I like my good team friendships. :P :D

Anuna
January 13th, 2008, 12:55 AM
I really enjoy the Sam and Daniel Friendship and I really only see friendship between Teyla and Sheppard. Ronon and Rodney have interesting friendship too.

Yes yes yes!! So many great friendships! Jack and Daniel have amazing friendship moments, and on SGA I like John and Ronon... they are very similar characters IMO; only Ronon seems mentally more mature to me. Rodney and Carson was also amazing, same as Carson and Teyla, or John and Teyla (just like big sister and little brother LOL).

Anuna
January 13th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Yeah, the original SG1 team was something special.

I always say they are more than just simple sum of the four pieces (team members) - they feel like family and in first five seasons that feeling only increased. I hated Meridian and I loved it for amazing friendship moments. But I can't say I didn't like SG - 1 S6 or Jonas. Jonas and Teal'c were so amusing! That ice cream eating scene cracks me up every time. Or when they went to a bar together. Actually teal'c has great moments with almost everybody! :tealc:

MerryK
August 13th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Let me get this out of the way—I'm a shipper and I love shipping.

But aside from my shipping, I love that Stargate portrays great friendships. Even those couples that I ship romantically, I love them for their great platonic interaction as well. There's all sorts of chemistry on Stargate, from the buddy-buddy, to the opposites-attract, to the kindred-spirits, and beyond.

This is a thread to celebrate all those friendships. If you're a shipper, you can post abouts moments with your ship where they just really work well, even if you also see shippiness. If you're not a shipper, then just indulge in appreciating all those moments by themselves.

Stargate: more than a show about the romance!

(Just a couple guidelines. No mention of shippiness here—there's other threads for that. And the friendships don't have to be with just the main characters...knock yourselves out!)

EvenstarSRV
August 13th, 2008, 09:30 PM
But aside from my shipping, I love that Stargate portrays great friendships. Even those couples that I ship romantically, I love them for their great platonic interaction as well. There's all sorts of chemistry on Stargate, from the buddy-buddy, to the opposites-attract, to the kindred-spirits, and beyond.

This is a thread to celebrate all those friendships. If you're a shipper, you can post abouts moments with your ship where they just really work well, even if you also see shippiness. If you're not a shipper, then just indulge in appreciating all those moments by themselves.

Stargate: more than a show about the romance!

Cool thread MerryK, I'm glad you started it!

I totally agree with what you said, especially the bolded part. The science and adventure may have first drawn me into Stargate, but it's the chemistry between all the characters that has kept me interested.

Sam and Teal'c's friendship is one of my favorites because it has been so subtle but constant from the beginning, but I love all of them pretty equally. I'm currently rewatching season 10 and I simply adore the Sam/Vala friendship we see develop, especially in Uninvited. :sam: :vala:

Conn8d
August 13th, 2008, 10:04 PM
One of my all time favorite friendships on the show was Sam and Janet's. Loved the bit row, row, row your boat between Sam and Janet in Urgo. Loved how htey both took part in raising Cassie. I am also fond of Jack and Teal'c's frienship. From Jack's early faith in Teal'c in COTG to Teal'c's comfort for Jack in Grace.

MerryK
August 14th, 2008, 06:16 AM
I'm especially fond of Jacob and Jack's relationship—they're close enough to the same age to share some thing, but Jacob's just a bit older and can pick on Jack. I love in Exodus when Jacob refuses to apologize for saying they were doomed: "And miss my last chance to be right?" Jack's confused: "What?" is to die for. And in Reckoning, when they have the little banter about Jacob forgetting to say hello before spilling the bad news, and then Jack getting upset because Jacob said it was a problem not a galactic emergency.

I also love Sam and Vala's relationship, especially in Insiders, Uninvited, Line in the Sand, and Family Ties. The first has them working together, and their differences are strengths. Uninvited? Sam's trying to sober up Vala, and she's trying to get Sam a little wilder—very cute. Line in the Sand, just for Vala's support and belief in Sam (in Unending, too). And Family Ties, for obvious reasons, because they've clearly bonded and become buddies.

Another favorite of mine is Sam and Teal'c, and how it's always there in such a quiet understated way. There are times when they don't even understand each other (Revelations, various Teal'c episodes), but that doesn't seem to matter, because they'll be there for each other. And in Unending, I think they finally had enough time to figure each other out and become closer than ever.

EvenstarSRV
August 15th, 2008, 01:35 PM
One of my all time favorite friendships on the show was Sam and Janet's. Loved the bit row, row, row your boat between Sam and Janet in Urgo. Loved how htey both took part in raising Cassie.

ITA, Sam and Janet's friendship was wonderful. I especially loved the opening scene in Rite of Passage.

I'm especially fond of Jacob and Jack's relationship—they're close enough to the same age to share some thing, but Jacob's just a bit older and can pick on Jack. I love in Exodus when Jacob refuses to apologize for saying they were doomed: "And miss my last chance to be right?" Jack's confused: "What?" is to die for. And in Reckoning, when they have the little banter about Jacob forgetting to say hello before spilling the bad news, and then Jack getting upset because Jacob said it was a problem not a galactic emergency.

Another favorite of mine is Sam and Teal'c, and how it's always there in such a quiet understated way. There are times when they don't even understand each other (Revelations, various Teal'c episodes), but that doesn't seem to matter, because they'll be there for each other. And in Unending, I think they finally had enough time to figure each other out and become closer than ever.

I loved that whole exchange in Exodus, including Sam's 'Welcome to my life.' I also liked Jacob humoring Jack in The Serpent's Venom by saying he's always fun to have around. :)

And the Sam/Teal'c friendship in Unending was probably my favorite part of the episode, especially the look he gives her at the end because only he remembers how close they became. :tealc: :sam:

MerryK
August 15th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I loved that whole exchange in Exodus, including Sam's 'Welcome to my life.' I also liked Jacob humoring Jack in The Serpent's Venom by saying he's always fun to have around. :)

And the Sam/Teal'c friendship in Unending was probably my favorite part of the episode, especially the look he gives her at the end because only he remembers how close they became. :tealc: :sam:

:lol: :indeed: I tend to agree with Jacob...I don't see much use for Jack except as comic relief, but it is certainly fun!

*sigh* It's a shame there's no one else to join in the fun...I know there are friendship fans out there!

EvenstarSRV
August 16th, 2008, 09:33 AM
:lol: :indeed: I tend to agree with Jacob...I don't see much use for Jack except as comic relief, but it is certainly fun!

*sigh* It's a shame there's no one else to join in the fun...I know there are friendship fans out there!

It's funny, I've been watching Stargate semi-regularly for almost 3 years now, but I was completely ignorant about the Stargate fandom until I first ventured into the GW forum a few months ago. I've enjoyed most of it, but some stuff like 'shipping and anti-threads really confused me at first because I had always seen the Stargate characters as being friends first and foremost.

I've acquired a bit of a taste for 'shipping since then, but the friendships are still by far my favorite part of the series. :)

MerryK
August 16th, 2008, 09:51 AM
It's funny, I've been watching Stargate semi-regularly for almost 3 years now, but I was completely ignorant about the Stargate fandom until I first ventured into the GW forum a few months ago. I've enjoyed most of it, but some stuff like 'shipping and anti-threads really confused me at first because I had always seen the Stargate characters as being friends first and foremost.

I've acquired a bit of a taste for 'shipping since then, but the friendships are still by far my favorite part of the series. :)

Me too - I had no concept of Stargate fandom, even though I kind of understood the idea of shipping from my other fandoms. They weren't nearly as diversified as Stargate, though, because there were canon ships. I didn't realize that people shipped even when there wasn't "proof" on screen...

Not nearly enough discussion here, so I think I'm going to advertise in my other threads.

Amaranth Traces
August 16th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Great thread, MerryK (your advertising worked)! I'm also a pretty strong shipper in fanfiction and I love to see moments on screen that I can use to support my ship of choice. But I much prefer that the show never go beyond friendship in any pairing. Plenty of possible discussion points, so I'll try not to get too carried away ;)

Since I started watching SG-1, I've loved the team dynamic. I adore Jack/Daniel banter, though I have a hard time writing it, and the Sam/Teal'c friendship is just beautiful.

With the new team, I would have liked to see a lot more of the development of the Sam/Vala friendship in the show. They seemed to just dump this established friendship on us without warning. That's not to say that I don't think they could be friends. On the contrary, it's entirely believable to me that they'd be great friends. It's just that I would have liked to see more of it develop from the beginning on screen.

KindlyKeller
August 16th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Well, let's see...

The early years of Sam and Daniel were wonderful. That sort of ebbed away over time, unfortunately.

One of the most emotional moments in the franchise for me is in "Lost City" between Jack and Teal'c, when Teal'c is trying to express his appreciation and affection to Jack, and without saying anything, Jack puts his hand on Teal'c's face. Wonderful moment.

My favorite, though, is probably Rodney and John. I love that, though they were both exasperated with one another in the early days, they respected each other. And over time, out of that respect, they became friends- eventually best friends (in my opinion).

Favorite moments from their friendship include Rodney checking in on him at the beginning of "Outcast," John doing something of dubious moral authority when he convinces the Stephen Culp character to sacrifice himself to save Rodney's sister, and "The Last Man," where Old Rodney says: "Gosh, it's good to see you again."

I'd also note that I felt the Sam/Cam friendship totally reinvigorated her character. Their rapport was so much fun, and it was nice that they had a "clean slate." There was no angst simmering behind their interactions, like Jack and Sam had (even though I like both characters).

DrGemini2405
August 16th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Cool idea for a thread! Love it... it won't be as supercharged and somewhat political as the romance 'ships can be, but still interesting and fun. :D

Favourite friendships on SG-1:
-- Jack/Daniel -- it's like a friendship against the odds that one... they're too very different men, but when it comes down to it, they're also quite similar as well. And there seems to be a nurturing aspect to it too.

-- Jack/Teal'c -- pretty much a buddy relationship, like a much stronger and more multifaceted version of Shep/Ronon

-- Teal'c/Daniel -- this always gets me... it's even more against the odds than Jack/Daniel... esp. when you take into account what Teal'c did. Daniel still forgave him because he understood that Teal'c, had he had the choice, wouldn't have done the terrible things that Apophis had him do, and plus he had changed since being on SG-1. And I think Teal'c admires Daniel's courage too despite the chap's lack of fighting skill... Daniel's like Jason from Jason and the Argonauts, in that he's a man of words as well as action, and not sort of shoot first, shoot more again later like Hercules.

-- Sam/Teal'c -- just nice... it's like a quiet mutual respect and admiration

-- Sam/Daniel -- on a platonic level for the purposes of this discussion, these guys are great -- they can put their heads together, usu., and figure out things

-- Sam/Cam -- very much a sibling rivalry thing going on here... it's nice how they can be that close without any tension

-- Cam/Teal'c -- I love how Cam instantly took to Teal'c, and how Teal'c tried to faze him in the early days. Very easy friendship, almost the same as Jack/Teal'c

-- Jack/Hammond -- I don't know how they played this off but it worked very well

-- Sam/Janet -- it's nice how Sam had a close female friend, and how she shared looking after Cassie with her... and then appears to have taken over after Janet died... *sniff*

-- Daniel/Nesa -- that was just so cute

-- Daniel/Vala -- I think it's admirable how Daniel stood by her and believed in her potential as a human being. It's what Daniel does... and it's sweet. Just wish they hadn't made Vala appear to orbit the poor guy in season 10

I could go on for ages with the different friendships... and I'm sure I've missed something out.

Something I don't particularly like though is how they executed the Sam/Vala friendship... that didn't come across as very convincing in season 10... to me at least. Still, in principle, it's a good friendship... and you can imagine they'd share common ordeals, like being possessed by a Goa'uld, even if Sam's experience was relatively short.

: )

fuchsia
August 16th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Hi there... nice thread!:)
Just wanted to say that although I'm a shipper, in fanfic I much prefer to read friendship stories.
Don't know why that is really...:o

My fave f.ship is Rodney/John:mckay::sheppard:

jasminaGo
August 16th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I love the friendships on stargate.

Especially Sam/Teal'c. There is just an understanding between them that developed over the years that I find great to watch and read in fanfics (which are sadly rare)

Also Sam/Janet and Sam/Vala relationships could have been developed a lot better. But every time an ep is over the time limit (like Ascention and Morpheus) those scenes are the first to go. :(

Stef
August 16th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Well, as a newer fan I really got into the Sam/Cam friendship. They're relationship is what brought me into SG-1 in some ways, because while D/V was was my 'ship, C/S was what made me see the special bond between the team. It's hard to explain, they never stuck out as characters for me until TQ2 and LITS but their friendship throughout the first half of S10 was cute and I enjoyed watching them even if I couldn't quite define why :p They will and always be my favorite friendship on the show :)

I do enjoy what little we see of Sam/Vala as well though....there just isn't enough of it :(

-Stef

MerryK
August 16th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Topic: What do you think makes a friendship good? If the characters seem like opposites, what about them is similar enough that they can stay friends? And can characters be too similar to be friends?

DrGemini2405
August 16th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Topic: What do you think makes a friendship good? If the characters seem like opposites, what about them is similar enough that they can stay friends? And can characters be too similar to be friends?

I think trust plays a big part, like with Jack and Teal'c... and their relative ages compared to the rest of the team helps too, even if Teal'c is a lot older than him, lol.

With Daniel and Jack, it's a shared experience -- i.e. the first Abydos mission to Abydos, and I think sometimes Jack sees Daniel as he would have seen Charlie.

With Sam and Daniel, it's being clever but clever in such a way that complements each other's work and whatnot... because clever and clever doesn't always go, like is evident if you put anyone highly clever with McKay as he's pretty competitive. :D

With Cam and most of classic SG-1, it's kinda like hero worship which then evolves. He starts off like a cool version of Felger.

So... to not make this a huge post, lol, it's a lot of different things. I think I'll be back later to answer the rest of the question.

Skadi
August 16th, 2008, 02:35 PM
MerryK, I agree with your comments on "exodus' - the exchanges between Jack and Jacob are really funny - as you say, they are closer in age than Jack/anyone from SG-1, so they might have some things in common because of that - especially since they have likely had somewhat similar lives in the military...and I only see Jack as comic relief usually, so I am sorry when he is annoying (sadly most of the time when you get to at least season 4/5 and later - but that is a topic for the heretics thread, I guess).

Other great friendships are Jacob/Hammond, and as others have mentioned Daniel/Vala - it is great that he believes in her when no one else does. There are also some nice Cam/Vala scenes.

I think Jack and Daniel could be good friends, despite being very different - and I also think Jack and Sam are good friends (indeed, I think all of SG-1 is close friends/nearly family after their experiences together - but I have never been able to see any romantic interest between any of the members of SG-1, partly because I think they are more family than anything else).

Teal'c/Bra'tac seem to have a good friendship as well, despite the master/student side to it.

Sam/Janet seems to be good friends as well, and I think so does Sam/Martouf/Lantash. I think Daniel could become good friends with Anise - they seem to have much in common.

I don't think people can be too similar to be friends - and I think people who are very different can be friends, but then it would depend on the areas they are different in, and the situations that brought them together. Many/most of the members of SG-1 are probably too different to have become friends if they had not been in the situations together that they have. I think perhaps Sam/Daniel could still have become friends, but I doubt any of the others would.

-Skadi

EvenstarSRV
August 16th, 2008, 02:44 PM

I think whether the characters seem like opposites or are very similar, there has to be trust and respect between them for me to see them as friends.

With Jack and Daniel, they very often have completely different ways of approaching a situation, but they respect the other's point of view and trust that they will do the 'right thing' in the end.

With Sam and Daniel, they often see things from a similar perspective because of their academic backgrounds, but I think instead of being competitive they respect each other's area of expertise. I think the mine stuff in The Serpent's Venom was a good example of both of them respecting each other's abilities and using them to solve the problem.

Now to me, even though McKay and Zelenk also share academic backgrounds, I don't see them as friends because I don't see McKay showing much respect for Zelenka or trust in his abilities.

Similarly, I don't see McKay and Ronan as being friends because even though they are opposites like Jack and Daniel, I don't see much respect between them.

Sam and Vala are opposites in many ways, but I think they both respect each other, and by the end of season 10 I think they also really trust one another. As others have said, I wish we had seen more of this friendship developing on screen, instead of filling in the blanks ourselves.

Stef
August 16th, 2008, 03:15 PM

I think it just needs good chemistry, in all honesty. Sometimes it can be the writing that makes relationships interesting, but more often than not the friendships I enjoy on shows comes about through merely enjoying the two actors bounce off each other.

Not sure how to answer the second question, but as to the third I would say no. I don't think it matters how similar they are, they can still make great friends. I mean, I very much link Sam and Daniel in my head personality-wise (especially in the earlier seasons) but I don't think that diminishes their friendship or their scenes in any way :) It just makes their relationship different than say Sam and Vala or Daniel and Jack who are more opposites.

-Stef

Amaranth Traces
August 16th, 2008, 05:47 PM

I think the foundation of any good friendship is trust. Trust that someone is going to be honest with you, is going to be there when you need them, and isn't going to kill you the moment you turn your back.

Despite Jack's distaste for scientists, he trusts the judgement of both Daniel and Sam. Everyone knows that Teal'c has their back. And everyone knows that Jack will do anything for his team. And of course, those rules don't apply 100% of the time. Everyone screws up now and then.

In episodes like Shades of Grey, when that trust between team members is broken, it's quite obvious that the wounds are deep. Even after the reveal of the 'why', it seems to me that there was still injury there on the part of Daniel, Sam, and Teal'c that Jack had to tend to before things could be "back to normal".

If two people are very different, with practically nothing in common as far as personality or experise go, then I think that's where experience comes in. Let's face it, Jack and Daniel are complete opposites in practically everything. What they have in common is their experiences. That first trip to Abdyos gave them enough common ground upon which to build the trust that seeded their friendship. If they'd just met on the street somewhere, I don't think either of them would want anything to do with the other.

For the last part, I would agree with what most everyone has said. I don't think two people can be too similar to have a strong friendship. I think the only way that could happen was if they were the same person. Case in point: every time there have been duplicates of SG-1 running around. Though, that said, it's possible that the conflict within the roomful of Sams in Ripple Effect, for example, could be the result of various other stresses like not knowing if you're going to be able to get home, having to deal with countless others who have your face, etc.

EvenstarSRV
August 16th, 2008, 11:29 PM
If two people are very different, with practically nothing in common as far as personality or experise go, then I think that's where experience comes in. Let's face it, Jack and Daniel are complete opposites in practically everything. What they have in common is their experiences. That first trip to Abdyos gave them enough common ground upon which to build the trust that seeded their friendship. If they'd just met on the street somewhere, I don't think either of them would want anything to do with the other.

Re: the bolded statement, I definitely agree and I liked that the writers touched on this in Beneath the Surface, where Jack/Jonah didn't want anything to do with Daniel/Carlin until they had the shared experience of working together to stop the boiler from exploding. :jack: :daniel:

MerryK
August 16th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Great replies, everyone!

Now, the interesting thing about the friendships-through-shared-experiences...do you think they are lasting when the experiences no longer are? If Jack retired entirely to his cabin, and Daniel left the SGC to do archaeology work, would they keep in touch? Or rather, would they actively spend time with each other, as I'm sure they'd at least keep in some kind of contact?

Quite a few SG-1 friendships seem to be that sort—I don't see Cam/Vala, Sam/Teal'c, Cam/Daniel, Cam/Teal'c or Daniel/Teal'c staying close outside of the SGC either. Sam and Daniel, I think, would still be friends, and Sam and Cam, and Teal'c and Vala (I'm iffy on the Daniel/Vala and Sam/Vala friendships). But other than that, it's the team that holds them all together, IMO.

silly sally
August 17th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Favorite relationships
:love:
:daniel::vala:
:sheppard::teyla: - :sheppard::weir:
Keller/:mckay:

Favorite Friendships
:jack::daniel:
:jack::thor:
:sam::daniel:
:sam::cameron:
:sam::vala:
:sheppard::mckay:

DrGemini2405
August 17th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Great replies, everyone!

Now, the interesting thing about the friendships-through-shared-experiences...do you think they are lasting when the experiences no longer are? If Jack retired entirely to his cabin, and Daniel left the SGC to do archaeology work, would they keep in touch? Or rather, would they actively spend time with each other, as I'm sure they'd at least keep in some kind of contact?

Hmm. That's an interesting point. I think they would... but they would gradually fall out of touch because there's nothing else to hold onto if they've not got the SGC in common. There was this wonderful fic I'd read ages ago where Sara asks Sam whether she knew that Jack and Daniel couldn't go one night without either calling each other.

I suppose it depends on the nature of the separation as well.

Conversely though, I don't know... really, I'm in two minds about it. Because I think they could stay in touch, because they would miss each other after everything they've been through and shared and whatnot... but then they'd be both reluctant to admit that so they'd probably sort of sulk or something. Thought provoking. I can see Jack, while not admitting he misses Daniel, secretly keeping tabs on Daniel and watching the news for anything bad in the areas he's working in.

Quite a few SG-1 friendships seem to be that sort—I don't see Cam/Vala, Sam/Teal'c, Cam/Daniel, Cam/Teal'c or Daniel/Teal'c staying close outside of the SGC either. Sam and Daniel, I think, would still be friends, and Sam and Cam, and Teal'c and Vala (I'm iffy on the Daniel/Vala and Sam/Vala friendships). But other than that, it's the team that holds them all together, IMO.

Hm. I think Cam would try to keep everyone in touch and whatnot, but they would eventually drift apart. Sam and Daniel would have definitely hit it off as friends without the Stargate programme, as would Sam and Cam (it's kinda implied in the series that she knew him before he came to the SGC... although because of their age difference, or hypothetical age difference, I don't think they'd've been at the Academy together). Honestly, I doubt that Teal'c and Vala would be friends... she seems to annoy him quite a bit.

I think that's the beauty of SG-1, that it holds together four-to-five quite contrasting and otherwise different individuals through complex bonds of trust, friendship, shared experiences, circumstance, respect, etc.

MerryK
August 17th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Honestly, I doubt that Teal'c and Vala would be friends... she seems to annoy him quite a bit.

I thought that, too, but the more I watch their scenes together, the more Teal'c seems to be almost protective of Vala. Even in Season 9, when he's his most annoyed with her, there's something about their interactions... I think it's a combination of things. She was a Goa'uld, he was a First Prime—and though she couldn't help it then, she's done things later that were unsavory. They're both aliens fascinated and trying to find a place on Earth. Both of their families are basically missing, making SG-1 their family. They've even both had issues with children. Most importantly, I think Teal'c sees through all of Vala's bravado and sees that she's still vulnerable underneath, and Teal'c seems drawn to those people (most kids, Daniel, Jack, the girl at his apartment, etc.). And I think Vala looks to Teal'c as a sturdy friend who will challenge her if she pushes the wrong boundaries, but who will support and be patient with her smaller mistakes as she tries to change. So the protective thing plus the common past plus the fact that they both put everything they have into SG-1, makes me think that they'd stick together if they couldn't go back to Earth.

Bee11
August 17th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Since I started watching SG-1, I've loved the team dynamic. I adore Jack/Daniel banter

I love their friendship! they are not people you would assume would work as friends yet through being on the same team have developed a friendship
i remember daniel saying to jack " i was the closest you had to a best friend" i'm unsure of what episode it was

i also love sam/cam friendship
cos if you are not assuming there is something between them they are just so playful together it's great like a fun friendship rather than a more serious friendship that she has with say teal'c

tayradio
August 17th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I just watched Arthur's Mantle last night and remembered one of the friendships that I'd liked the best in the early seasons - Sam and Daniel, a.k.a. The Wonder Twins. I loved the scenes between them in Mantle where they were both out of phase and Sam said something about the translation going faster now that he was out of phase, too, and they both did that cute little shoulder shrug and eye squint at the same time. Absolutely adorable. Two people who have just been together for way too long. LOL

Skadi
August 17th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Great replies, everyone!

You know, I think I would actually have to agree here. I also have a suspicion that the majority of them will probably not stay in touch after they stop going on missions together. They have nothing else in common, so they will probably at most meet at rare intervals and reminisce about SG-1...

silly sally - I really liked your idea for a list of friendships/relationship made with the cute little smilies - too bad they don't have smilies for all the characters.

Here is my list:

Friendships:

:bratac13::tealc:
:thor::jack:
:vala::daniel:
:vala::cameron:
:sam::daniel:
:jack::daniel:
:jack::tealc:

:hammond:http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff309/Skadi_tokra/smilies/selmak/jacob_happy.gif

:daniel:http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff309/Skadi_tokra/smilies/anise/anise.gif

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff309/Skadi_tokra/smilies/samantha/sam_smile.gifhttp://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff309/Skadi_tokra/smilies/martouf_lantash/martouf_happy.gif

Skadi
August 17th, 2008, 10:33 AM
and Relationships:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff309/Skadi_tokra/smilies/samantha/sam_smile.gifhttp://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff309/Skadi_tokra/smilies/martouf_lantash/martouf_happy.gif

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff309/Skadi_tokra/smilies/anise/anise.gif:daniel:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff309/Skadi_tokra/smilies/selmak/jacob_happy.gif/Janet

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff309/Skadi_tokra/smilies/malek/malek2.gif:sam:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff309/Skadi_tokra/smilies/aldwin/aldwin.gif:teyla:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff309/Skadi_tokra/smilies/anise/anise.gif:jack:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff309/Skadi_tokra/smilies/rosha_jolinar/rosha_jolinar2.gifhttp://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff309/Skadi_tokra/smilies/martouf_lantash/martouf_happy.gif

-Skadi

EvenstarSRV
August 17th, 2008, 10:41 AM

I think after a decade of shared experiences, Jack and Daniel would have built a friendship that would last if either left the SGC. Probably not to the same intensity because of the distance, but I would see them visiting each other when possible and keeping in touch by phone or email.

I think the other SG-1 friendships would also last to differing extents depending on the people. After ten years I can see Sam/Teal'c, Sam/Daniel, and Daniel/Teal'c all maintaining as strong a friendship as possible even if they were on different planets. Cam would probably stay closest to Sam because of their AF connections. I think Sam and Vala's friendship would probably suffer the most if either left the SGC because they've known each other the shortest amount of time.

I just watched Arthur's Mantle last night and remembered one of the friendships that I'd liked the best in the early seasons - Sam and Daniel, a.k.a. The Wonder Twins. I loved the scenes between them in Mantle where they were both out of phase and Sam said something about the translation going faster now that he was out of phase, too, and they both did that cute little shoulder shrug and eye squint at the same time. Absolutely adorable. Two people who have just been together for way too long. LOL

I love the 'Wonder Twins'! Along with that scene in Arthur's Mantle, I also love the both of them working on the mine in The Serpent's Venom. :sam: :daniel:

Amaranth Traces
August 17th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Re: the bolded statement, I definitely agree and I liked that the writers touched on this in Beneath the Surface, where Jack/Jonah didn't want anything to do with Daniel/Carlin until they had the shared experience of working together to stop the boiler from exploding. :jack: :daniel:

I forgot all about that episode! Great point, it's an excellent demonstration of what I was trying to say. Thanks :)

I thought that, too, but the more I watch their scenes together, the more Teal'c seems to be almost protective of Vala. <snip> Most importantly, I think Teal'c sees through all of Vala's bravado and sees that she's still vulnerable underneath, and Teal'c seems drawn to those people (most kids, Daniel, Jack, the girl at his apartment, etc.). And I think Vala looks to Teal'c as a sturdy friend who will challenge her if she pushes the wrong boundaries, but who will support and be patient with her smaller mistakes as she tries to change. So the protective thing plus the common past plus the fact that they both put everything they have into SG-1, makes me think that they'd stick together if they couldn't go back to Earth.

I agree completely. I think everyone started off being annoyed by Vala's excessive perkiness and their inability to trust her. She was a thief who put herself as Number One in all situations, after all. But as her character developed, she demonstrated that she *could* be trusted and that she had many more levels of depth to her character.

I think Teal'c, more than anyone, sees those levels and sees (as you said) through her facade to her inherent vulnerability. Teal'c is a complicated character to understand himself, though his is due to stoicism rather than perky bravado like Vala. I think he sees some of himself in her and wants to not only protect her but also help her integrate into Tau'ri society.

I'm a huge fan of the Sam/Daniel dynamic. Their friendship and respect for each other is evident from the first moment they meet in Children of the Gods. Unfortunately, it became less and less obvious on-screen, as so many things did, in favour of the whole Ori situation. However, since TPTB dumped an established friendship between Sam and Vala on us with little to no on-screen development, I'm comfortable in the assumption that the Sam/Daniel friendship is still as strong as ever in the last two seasons - particularly with evidence like that scene from Arthur's Mantle.

I think after a decade of shared experiences, Jack and Daniel would have built a friendship that would last if either left the SGC. Probably not to the same intensity because of the distance, but I would see them visiting each other when possible and keeping in touch by phone or email.

I think the other SG-1 friendships would also last to differing extents depending on the people. After ten years I can see Sam/Teal'c, Sam/Daniel, and Daniel/Teal'c all maintaining as strong a friendship as possible even if they were on different planets. Cam would probably stay closest to Sam because of their AF connections. I think Sam and Vala's friendship would probably suffer the most if either left the SGC because they've known each other the shortest amount of time.

I agree about the original team staying close, even if they were separated by light-years of empty space. The new team is harder to say because of the lack of teamy goodness in the last two seasons.

Personally, I got the impression that Cam and Sam knew each other before (her visiting him in the hospital after Antarctica, for example), so I think if nothing else, Cam would keep that friendship alive. Based on what we got of the Sam/Vala friendship on-screen, I have a hard time deciding. I think if their friendship had progressed the way it does in my head - with bonding over both being ex-hosts, etc. - then I believe that they'd stay close even after they leave the SGC.

But certainly the original four have much more closeness and involvement in each others' lives, so I'm quite confident that they'd all stay friends/family after the program closed. They've come to rely on each other for so many things in their lives. Jack and Sam in particular rely heavily on Daniel, and, to a lesser degree, Teal'c, to be the emotional support they need to get through difficult times. I simply cannot see the four of them cutting ties just because the thing that brought them together doesn't exist anymore.

DrGemini2405
August 17th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I thought that, too, but the more I watch their scenes together, the more Teal'c seems to be almost protective of Vala. Even in Season 9, when he's his most annoyed with her, there's something about their interactions... I think it's a combination of things. She was a Goa'uld, he was a First Prime—and though she couldn't help it then, she's done things later that were unsavory. They're both aliens fascinated and trying to find a place on Earth. Both of their families are basically missing, making SG-1 their family. They've even both had issues with children. Most importantly, I think Teal'c sees through all of Vala's bravado and sees that she's still vulnerable underneath, and Teal'c seems drawn to those people (most kids, Daniel, Jack, the girl at his apartment, etc.). And I think Vala looks to Teal'c as a sturdy friend who will challenge her if she pushes the wrong boundaries, but who will support and be patient with her smaller mistakes as she tries to change. So the protective thing plus the common past plus the fact that they both put everything they have into SG-1, makes me think that they'd stick together if they couldn't go back to Earth.

Ah... hm. Interesting. Ok, I do admit I can have a limited view of the characters sometimes. *g* Actually, I like your explanation -- it fleshes the characters out a lot more. Hmm.

But certainly the original four have much more closeness and involvement in each others' lives, so I'm quite confident that they'd all stay friends/family after the program closed. They've come to rely on each other for so many things in their lives. Jack and Sam in particular rely heavily on Daniel, and, to a lesser degree, Teal'c, to be the emotional support they need to get through difficult times. I simply cannot see the four of them cutting ties just because the thing that brought them together doesn't exist anymore.

I think I was a bit... somewhat... really rash when I said that they wouldn't all stay in touch. Hm. I think I may be losing my perspicacity again.

Oh yeah. lol. Now of all times I remember 2010... :tealcanime22:

KindlyKeller
August 17th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Great replies, everyone!

An excellent point...

Of the SG-1 characters, I think Daniel and Jack would keep in touch and visit one another occasionally, but there would be a small distance that developed. I think there's evidence to support that assessment in Jack's S9 and 10 appearances.

Cam and Daniel would keep in touch and have dinner when one of them ended up in the other's neck of the woods. The same would be true of Teal'c and all the other characters, and Vala and the other characters (unless Daniel and Vala were in romantic relationship), especially because the physical distance would likely be greater (i.e. Teal'c on Chulak).

I think Sam and Cam, and Sam and Daniel would keep in closer contact than any of other characters. They just seem to have the rapports most likely to survive outside of the workplace.

EvenstarSRV
August 17th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I agree about the original team staying close, even if they were separated by light-years of empty space. The new team is harder to say because of the lack of teamy goodness in the last two seasons.

Teamy goodness! What a perfect way to describe the awesomeness of all their friendships. I love learning new phrases. :D

MerryK
August 17th, 2008, 03:09 PM

That's funny, I felt twice as much teamy goodness from the last two seasons as from all the previous eight combined. ;) That is, on a comfortable friendly level; it takes time and shared experience to build deep emotional bonds, so the old team has new one beat for now. But the new team has those everyday kind of friendships, where joke and eat and play games and watch movies together—it took the old team 8 years just to go fishing! The team moments from 9 and 10 are some of my favorites of the whole series, things I had been hoping for all the way through SG-1 'cause I love my team.

Crichiel
August 17th, 2008, 04:14 PM
That's funny, I felt twice as much teamy goodness from the last two seasons as from all the previous eight combined. ;) That is, on a comfortable friendly level; it takes time and shared experience to build deep emotional bonds, so the old team has new one beat for now. But the new team has those everyday kind of friendships, where joke and eat and play games and watch movies together—it took the old team 8 years just to go fishing! The team moments from 9 and 10 are some of my favorites of the whole series, things I had been hoping for all the way through SG-1 'cause I love my team.

Eight years to go fishing together, but it's not like they never hung out together! They had all sorts of references to them hanging out together outside of work (my favourite is Jack telling Teal'c to call Daniel about the jell-o wrestling in Ascension!). Although, I like season 9 and 10, I always view that team as co-workers that get along really well and the original SG-1 as true "I will do anything in my power, beyond my power, and against the rules to save you" family.

As for my quick take on the shows' friendships, in order starting with my most favourite:

SG-1
1. Jack/Daniel/Sam/Teal'c
2. Jack/Daniel
3. Daniel/Sam
4. Jack/Teal'c
5. Daniel/Teal'c
6. Jack/Thor
7. Daniel/Vala
8. Jack/Jacob

SGA
1. Sheppard/McKay
2. Sheppard/Ronon
3. McKay/Carson
4. .....uh, that's it actually.

I am not a shipper in any way.

As a footnote here: I love this thread, MerryK, but I have to say, I will probably just sit back and read all of your guys' wonderfully thought-out posts. I have enough trouble keeping up with the "Team" and "Sam/Daniel Siblings" threads and feel like I would just be repeating myself a lot! :o Or maybe I should just post there, then copy and paste the posts here! Just kidding!! ;)

MerryK
August 17th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Eight years to go fishing together, but it's not like they never hung out together! They had all sorts of references to them hanging out together outside of work (my favourite is Jack telling Teal'c to call Daniel about the jell-o wrestling in Ascension!). Although, I like season 9 and 10, I always view that team as co-workers that get along really well and the original SG-1 as true "I will do anything in my power, beyond my power, and against the rules to save you" family.

I definitely agree that the original SG-1 would do anything for each other, and the new team isn't quite there yet. I don't think that means the original team is all chummy, though...I'm incredibly close to my family and love them to death, but I spend more time with my coworkers and friends. Is the former the deeper relationship? Oh yeah! But I think the latter is a better friendship, and more fun in general. That's how I see the old team/new team dynamic. And I actually can't remember another reference to the original SG-1 hanging out...maybe there were some, but they were drowned out for me by all the times we saw them not with each other outside of work. But we got a boatload of that kind of friendship for the new team.

Crichiel
August 17th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I definitely agree that the original SG-1 would do anything for each other, and the new team isn't quite there yet. I don't think that means the original team is all chummy, though...I'm incredibly close to my family and love them to death, but I spend more time with my coworkers and friends. Is the former the deeper relationship? Oh yeah! But I think the latter is a better friendship, and more fun in general. That's how I see the old team/new team dynamic. And I actually can't remember another reference to the original SG-1 hanging out...maybe there were some, but they were drowned out for me by all the times we saw them not with each other outside of work. But we got a boatload of that kind of friendship for the new team.

Aaah! This is sounding familiar. This is a difference of opinion I believe we have gotten into in other threads as well. And if I remember correctly, it carries over to SGA. I *think* I remember that you also think of SGA's team as more family-like, where I again, don't see it as quite that close. Definitely an 'agree to disagree' thing we have here! ;)

But here's a few more moments I can think of for the J/D/S/T teaminess and why I see them as family AND good friends:

-Playing with Cassie at the park in Singularity
-Asking Sam to fish in Nemesis. And Daniel, who actually said yes, but was stopped by his appendicitis
-Fishing with Teal'c in The Curse
-Janet and Sam still being close in the future in 2010
-Janet asking Sam to come with her and Cassie to the lake in Urgo
-That Ascension moment with the Jell-o wrestling, which came right after they showed up at Sam's house with a movie
-Sam at Janet's for Cassie's birthday in Rite of Passage
-Teal'c and Jonas sparring in Redemption
-Sam and Daniel working out together in Orpheus
-Daniel and Teal'c working out together in Chimera
-How Sam challenged Jack to that crossword in Lost City AND Daniel was also in on it, promising he wouldn't help. For some reason I just love the cheek of Sam challenging her CO like that, and her KNOWING that he would turn to Daniel to cheat! :)
-Lockdown when Teal'c says he's getting an apartment and Sam and Daniel ask when the housewarming party is
-Affinity when Daniel visits Teal'c apartment
-Teal'c and Jack playing ping pong in Sacrifices
-Sam saying that "When you called me last week..." in Beachhead to Daniel
-And here's a HUGE clue that they see each other as friends: In Continuum Daniel flat-out says that he is the closest thing Jack has to a best friend. And no one argues the point.

Eye of the beholder, eye of the beholder. But you are of course free to see the relationships however you want. ;) The important thing being the love of ALL the great friendships both Stargate shows display! I think it is one of the things that makes me like these shows SO much more than all those high-brow sci-fi shows (like BSG). The big dramatic shows think it only adds to the drama to have the characters all be antagonistic towards each other. I like the refreshing take that Stargate has by having team members who actually like each other so much that they choose to spend even their free time together...and the show is STILL interesting! *gasp* ;)

MerryK
August 17th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Aaah! This is sounding familiar. This is a difference of opinion I believe we have gotten into in other threads as well. And if I remember correctly, it carries over to SGA. I *think* I remember that you also think of SGA's team as more family-like, where I again, don't see it as quite that close. Definitely an 'agree to disagree' thing we have here! ;)

But here's a few more moments I can think of for the J/D/S/T teaminess and why I see them as family AND good friends:

Of course, of course. ;) I have slightly different interpretations of some of the scenes you pull up...but just for the record, I think that Sam and Janet's friendship is one of the closest on the show, old team or new team. I'm not sure if it would have been if not for Cassie, but definitely their scenes are my top "friendly" highlights of Seasons 1-7.

CaptJanson
August 18th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Skadi, I love your cute Tok'ra smilies! Are there really no Janet smiley??

I think SG-1 had movie nights, didn't they?

Stef
August 18th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I think SG-1 had movie nights, didn't they?
I know that somewhere in S9 Cam mentions something about a movie night with the team. Not sure what movie....or even in what episode but I vaguely recall him saying something like that.

-Stef

StargateHERO
August 18th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I know that somewhere in S9 Cam mentions something about a movie night with the team. Not sure what movie....or even in what episode but I vaguely recall him saying something like that.

-Stef

I remember that too! I think that Jack has mentioned it a couple of times as well in the earlier seasons of the show. I wish they could've showed us just one of those team nights just to give us more team interaction outside of the SGC.

MerryK
August 18th, 2008, 10:46 PM

-Stef

I remember that too! I think that Jack has mentioned it a couple of times as well in the earlier seasons of the show. I wish they could've showed us just one of those team nights just to give us more team interaction outside of the SGC.

I do remember the Cam scene, at the end of The Scourge... and that this time they're going to watch Starship Troopers. ;) Oh Cam, you're so funny. I got the impression from how they talked about it that it wasn't a one-time thing.

I seem to have a vague memory of another movie night mention back with Jack, but I also have this impression that it was Daniel being sarcastic; maybe it was two separate times, or maybe I'm just imagining more sarcastic Daniel (because I like him like that ;)). Jack and Teal'c may have watched movies together—they do stop by Sam's house to distract her with pizza and a movie in Ascension. I always got the impression from that scene that it wasn't a normal occurrence, though (Daniel's absence, Sam not knowing about Jack's movie repertoire).

Stef
August 18th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I recall that as well...that maybe he says "this time we're gonna watch..." which would imply that there were previous times.

As for other instances, does Jack and Teal'c bringing over SW to Sam's in "Ascension" count? :p

-Stef

Jack_Bauer
August 19th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Personally my fave friendship was Jack and Daniel, two completely different people who came together through their experiences, then Daniel and Teal'c I just think they are cool

EH-T
August 19th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I think this is a great idea for a thread! :) But, so many frienships, so little time. I'll talk about different friendships over time but will start with a general comment. I have long been a fan of science fiction but I think what makes me such a big fan of Stargate in particular are the characters and their interactions. Sam says it best in the episode after Daniel ascends (for the first time ;)) when she talks about how they are a team and no one can understand what they've been through and what they mean to each other.

KindlyKeller
August 19th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I've always found, too, that the ships which seem most likely to work in my mind are born out of the strongest friendships.

Like, if I were to ship Sam, it would be with Daniel (earlier seasons) or Cam (recently). It's a short trip from close friends to something else, especially with Cam, since their exchanges always seemed somewhat flirtatious to me.

On Atlantis, the only example I have is my beloved McKeller ship.

Is that off-topic? Sorry if it is!

Killdeer
August 19th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I've always found, too, that the ships which seem most likely to work in my mind are born out of the strongest friendships.

I agree with that, actually. I have a hard time believing in a ship if I don't see much of a friendship there.

Glad to see this thread! I love all the friendships on both shows. My very very favorite of course is John and Rodney - I suppose you could call them my OTP of friendships. :D On Atlantis, I also love the Ronon and Teyla friendship, the Rodney and Elizabeth friendship, the Rodney and Carson friendship, and the John and Elizabeth friendship. Others that I wish had been developed more or would be developed more are the Rodney and Teyla relationships (I love what we've gotten so far this season) and the Teyla and Elizabeth relationship. Oh and I forgot Ronon and Carson! :)

On SG-1, I'm not sure I have a favorite. I enjoy Sam and Daniel, Daniel and Jack, Sam and Janet, Teal'c and Jack, Teal'c and Daniel, and I always wished we'd gotten a little more of Sam and Teal'c, but I loved what we got (they had an adorable moment in Unending). Oh and lest I forget - love the Sam and Cam friendship, the Daniel and Cam relationship (although I really wanted to see more of it), the Daniel and Vala relationship, and the Cam and Vala relationship.

EvenstarSRV
August 19th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I think this is a great idea for a thread! :) But, so many frienships, so little time. I'll talk about different friendships over time but will start with a general comment. I have long been a fan of science fiction but I think what makes me such a big fan of Stargate in particular are the characters and their interactions. Sam says it best in the episode after Daniel ascends (for the first time ;)) when she talks about how they are a team and no one can understand what they've been through and what they mean to each other.

I totally agree with the bolded statement. I've liked a lot of other sci-fi shows, but Stargate has the characters that I've found myself enjoying the most.

My favorite friendships are from SG-1, but I'm watching SGA season 1 right now and I'm enjoying the beginnings of Sheppard and Teyla and Rodney and Sheppard's friendships. I haven't seen seasons 2 or 3 yet, but I hope there's more Weir and Teyla friendship than what I've seen so far in season 1. I think they have the potential to have a great friendship like Sam and Janet. :weir: :teyla:

Stef
August 19th, 2008, 06:27 PM

Like, if I were to ship Sam, it would be with Daniel (earlier seasons) or Cam (recently). It's a short trip from close friends to something else, especially with Cam, since their exchanges always seemed somewhat flirtatious to me.

On Atlantis, the only example I have is my beloved McKeller ship.

Is that off-topic? Sorry if it is!

ITA. I ship C/S but I think it's really just because I'm a fan of their friendship more than anything...but am open to the possibility of something more if anyone were so inclined to go down that road.

-Stef

MerryK
August 19th, 2008, 07:17 PM

Ooh, that's a great quote! I'm a multishipper, which means I friendship everyone, but can easily see lots of pairs taking that short trip. ;)

SGLAB
August 19th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I have many friendships I love among both Stargate shows, but I'll just mention one for now. I've really liked the moments with Lorne and Zelenka. I can totally see them as BFFs.

marielabbott
August 20th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I agree with that, actually. I have a hard time believing in a ship if I don't see much of a friendship there.

Glad to see this thread! I love all the friendships on both shows. My very very favorite of course is John and Rodney - I suppose you could call them my OTP of friendships. :D On Atlantis, I also love the Ronon and Teyla friendship, the Rodney and Elizabeth friendship, the Rodney and Carson friendship, and the John and Elizabeth friendship. Others that I wish had been developed more or would be developed more are the Rodney and Teyla relationships (I love what we've gotten so far this season) and the Teyla and Elizabeth relationship. Oh and I forgot Ronon and Carson! :)

Those are most of my favorites as well. :) There are so many great friendships on SGA (I didn't watch SG-1). I would add Zelenka and McKay, and Zelenka and Weir...and, oh, Lorne/everyone as well. :D I have liked the Rodney and Teyla bits we've gotten this season too.

Amaranth Traces
August 21st, 2008, 01:51 PM
I think I was a bit... somewhat... really rash when I said that they wouldn't all stay in touch. Hm. I think I may be losing my perspicacity again.

Oh yeah. lol. Now of all times I remember 2010... :tealcanime22:

LOL The point of discussion, hon, is that we don't all have to agree. No worries ;)

Teamy goodness! What a perfect way to describe the awesomeness of all their friendships. I love learning new phrases. :D

Heh. I've been told by a few people that I "talk funny" ?* la Willow on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Words are fun to play with ;)

I'll be the first to admit that I'm probably pretty biassed against the last two seasons because I just generally didn't like them. I didn't like the majority of the storylines, I didn't like how the established characters started abruptly acting out-of-character, and I didn't like how lazy The Powers That Be were getting. But all that is a rant for another thread topic.

If I squint, I suppose I can see a few more friendshippy moments in those seasons than in the first eight, but they're more like duets instead of ensembles. Sam and Cam would have moments, Cam and Teal'c would have moments, etc. The whole team, as far as I recall, didn't have nearly as much contact with each other as a team.

But I've only seen those episodes about once each. In a few cases - the few episodes I actually liked - I've seen them a couple of times. So it's quite possible that in addition to my general dissatisfaction with those seasons I may also be remembering things all wrong ;)

Khentkawes
August 21st, 2008, 03:16 PM
That's funny, I felt twice as much teamy goodness from the last two seasons as from all the previous eight combined. ;)

I think I may be the only fan out there who likes the first 8 seasons just as much as the last 2. I have no preference and I see the two "eras" as mostly equal in terms of friendship moments. Of course, my favorite friendship of Stargate is Jack/Daniel, which pretty much disappears in season 9 and 10 (except for The Shroud. :) wonderful Jack/Daniel friendshipy-ness). But in seasons 9/10 we get some great friendship between Sam/Cameron, Cam/Daniel, Vala/Teal'c (it's subtle, but it's there), and Cam/Vala. The teams are different, which makes for different kinds of friendshipy and teamy moments, but they are all there.

Actually, I think the least friendshipy portions of the show were seasons 4 and 7. The friendship was kind of off-and-on in those seasons IMO. But that might be because I have a strong bias against true "ship," which seemed to sneak in during those seasons. And for me, ship interferes with friendship. But that's just my personal preference.

MerryK: yes, your advertising worked. I'll join anything with teamy/friendshipy goodness. After all, that's what got me hooked on this show in the first place. :D

MerryK
August 24th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I think I may be the only fan out there who likes the first 8 seasons just as much as the last 2. I have no preference and I see the two "eras" as mostly equal in terms of friendship moments.

Actually, I'm pretty much there with you. I really get frustrated with the "rivalry" between the two eras, because I do love them both...it's just that they both have different things that I like. And I didn't really notice seasons that were most lacking in friendshippy moments, but now that I think about it, you're right. There were certainly episodes in Season 4 that had me going "But what about the friendships? It's not like they only think about their 'twu love'!" But then we got episodes like WoO...:D

Stef
August 24th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Actually, I'm pretty much there with you. I really get frustrated with the "rivalry" between the two eras, because I do love them both...it's just that they both have different things that I like. And I didn't really notice seasons that were most lacking in friendshippy moments, but now that I think about it, you're right. There were certainly episodes in Season 4 that had me going "But what about the friendships? It's not like they only think about their 'twu love'!" But then we got episodes like WoO...:D

ITA. I have preferences, obviously, but I think there were some great friendships throughout all 10 years - none better than others, just different :)

-Stef