This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PuddleJumpers and the Gene

I know that you have to have the Ancient gene to fly the puddlejumpers, but what about other things in them? Do you need the gene to open/close the door? What about the consoles? What works and what doesn't without the gene?
    It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

well Ford can use the DHD and push buttons and we know he doesnt have the gene!
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

you need the gene to fly it. Moebius part one, or 2 i believe o'neill walks up and co=nsole and it turns on
      "I was just looking at the sky, Trying to figure out how many stars we'd actually been to."

Comment

As Mckay said in Rising part 2 I think, "Some of thier technology still uses good old-fashioned push buttons." The gene is required to activate and use certain aspects of the Puddle Jumper, however, the door is controled using a push button, as well as several other pieces of technology. If you want to know if something does require the ancient gene just think, is it important enough, or a security risk? If it is then it probably requires the ancient gene.

Owen Macri

Comment

yeah, the anceint gene is required only for the most important peice of tech, weapons for example, im geussing for security reason (wraith using them against the ancient for example). once the gene guy actevate a device its on permentantly and can be used by anyone, the control room for example, switched on when sheppard walked past then its used by everyone all the time.
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          Stargate : Genesis |
          Original Starship DesignThread
          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
          11000! green me

Comment

What I find interesting on the point of ATa being needed for systems would be what happened in The Defiant one
            Spoiler:
            If ATa is required for primary or important systems then why/how could Greg manage to get the shields up? Was it just a matte of him hacknig the systems like McKay had to do in 38 minutes to retract the pod drives? It's been bugging me how it was possible for a Wraith.

Comment

I think its a plot device they really didnt think through

Comment

yeah there are more unanwered questions reulting from that one episode than the rest of the series combined, that along with BIS are a the biggest mind bogglers and b) the two most intreging episodes.
                sigpic
                You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                Stargate : Genesis |
                Original Starship DesignThread
                Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
                  yeah there are more unanwered questions reulting from that one episode than the rest of the series combined, that along with BIS are a the biggest mind bogglers and b) the two most intreging episodes.
                  In the Rising part 2 Lt Ford told Sheppard he (Ford) should be the one to go looking for Col Sumner because Sheppard was the only one who had the gene and therefore the only one who could fly them back to Atlantis.
                  Spoiler:
                  The Wraith in The Defiant One could do some things with the ship but he could not turn it on so he couldn't fly it. Of course maybe he planned on using Sheppards hand like he said in the episode.
                  Last edited by Atlantis1; 20 April 2005, 12:07 PM. Reason: To fix spoilers
                  "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                  'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                  Individuality is freedom lived.
                  'Janis Joplin'

Comment

In LFP,
                    Spoiler:
                    Teyla pushed a button to turn off the cloaking device and she doesn't have the gene.

In Hide and Seek
                    Spoiler:
                    Grodin told Weir that there are something that they needed someone with gene to activate the the source then any one can use it. And there was somethings that needed a person who had the gene to operate it.

So I believe that most people can operate the doors, the DHD, etc. but you need someone with the gene to fly the jumper.

This is my $.02 (American) worth.

Comment

Thanks alot guys for all you're replies, you've helped alot. I was re-watching the episodes, and the question just kept bugging me.
                      It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

simple (and silly maybe) Question really: If only ancients were on atlantis, why would anything not need to gene to activate it, as they all had it they wudnt think anything of it

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
                          What I find interesting on the point of ATa being needed for systems would be what happened in The Defiant one
                          Spoiler:
                          If ATa is required for primary or important systems then why/how could Greg manage to get the shields up? Was it just a matte of him hacknig the systems like McKay had to do in 38 minutes to retract the pod drives? It's been bugging me how it was possible for a Wraith.

I think it IS a case of
                          Spoiler:
                          hacking into the systems. Sheppard says to McKay at the end that 'first he's (McKay) got to put the ship back together' and we see the Wraith doing a pretty thorough number on the ship's systems. If the cloaking device is classed as a 'secondary' system (and Teyla can activate that) then presumably the shields would be in roughly the same category.

But that makes me query whether with enough hacking it would be possible to fly the jumper without having the ATA gene? But maybe even if that IS possible the Ancients would consider the sheer inconvenience of having to take something apart big time just to get it working without the gene as being enough of a security safeguard anyway...?
                          McKay, "I'm not sure I can fix this."
                          Grodin, "You can fix anything."
                          McKay, "Who told you that?"
                          Grodin, "You did. Several times."

Comment

ford can now use the ancient tech because in lockdown or what eva it was called the ep with the lil deadly nanites they found that ppl with the gene it wouldnt affect so ford took the (aga) jab ancient gene activation
                            "only two things are infinate the universe and human stupidity and im not sure about the universe"

-albert einstein

Comment

Originally posted by gallywag
                              ford can now use the ancient tech because in lockdown or what eva it was called the ep with the lil deadly nanites they found that ppl with the gene it wouldnt affect so ford took the (aga) jab ancient gene activation
                              No he didn't.
                              Spoiler:
                              It was Hot Zone. He asked how long it would take for the ATA gene innoculation to kick in if he had it right then and Beckett said a few hours. Also there's only a 48% uptake of the gene. There was no mention in the episode or after, to my knowledge, that he has actually had the innoculation, and no guarantee if he did have it that it would actually take. It didn't take in Zelenka.
                              McKay, "I'm not sure I can fix this."
                              Grodin, "You can fix anything."
                              McKay, "Who told you that?"
                              Grodin, "You did. Several times."

Comment

Working...
                              X