PDA

View Full Version : Fic help.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

SilverRider
April 17th, 2005, 11:07 PM
I'm writing a fan fic and i'm in need of some help.

I would like to know how far and in which direction is Area 52 from SGC?

And would it be possible to let me know how many days drive would that be? Any nice stop over would a nice bouns :D :D

Agent_Dark
April 17th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Heres a cool little website that lets you plan trips across the US.
Colorado Springs to Las Vegas (http://mapsonus.switchboard.com/bin/maps-route/usr=~42635fa8.2b923.6d33.7/c=32/isredir=1/)

It didn't let me put in Groom Lake (Area 51) as an end destination ;) but I'm fairly certain that its within easy driving distance of Las Vegas... (but what do I know, I havn't even been to the US :P)

SilverRider
April 17th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Heres a cool little website that lets you plan trips across the US.
Colorado Springs to Las Vegas (http://mapsonus.switchboard.com/bin/maps-route/usr=~42635fa8.2b923.6d33.7/c=32/isredir=1/)

It didn't let me put in Groom Lake (Area 51) as an end destination ;) but I'm fairly certain that its within easy driving distance of Las Vegas... (but what do I know, I havn't even been to the US :P)

neither have I AG. :D :D

Thankies for the link :D :D

Skydiver
April 18th, 2005, 04:57 AM
i believe groom lake is an offshoot of Nellis AFB, which is 20 odd miles out of vegas

SilverRider
April 19th, 2005, 12:47 AM
*bangs head* ow...

God this is hard... :( My head hurts.....

How am I suppose to cut down a 11 hr plus drive into say....three to four days?? :eek:

back to planning i guess :o

Agent_Dark
April 19th, 2005, 01:26 AM
Take a plane ;)
Peterson AFB to Nellis AFB, its only a short hop :)

Tok'Ra Hostess
April 19th, 2005, 04:21 AM
Hey, great! A fic help thread.

I have a request, too. I need the name of some small town in the mountains between San Diego and Colorado Springs. I need the town to be in an area where it rains (I know that sounds strange, but there are mountain areas that get very little rain, so....)

Can anyone help? :)

Skydiver
April 19th, 2005, 05:03 AM
mhm, there's a lot of mountains and a couple of deserts between san diego and colorado

i don't know any off the top of my head, but maybe in the sierra nevadas (i think that's south enough in california)
or maybe in utah

anyone live in the south west?

SilverRider
April 19th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Perhaps the mods could make this a sticky...so it doesn't get lost in other pages :)

Just a suggrestion guys....^_^

Mr Prophet
April 19th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Perhaps the mods could make this a sticky...so it doesn't get lost in other pages :)

Just a suggrestion guys....^_^

I wouldn't worry. Fanfic is a slow-moving forum area.

SilverRider
April 19th, 2005, 12:53 PM
oh yea true...:P forgot silly me :)

Skydiver
April 19th, 2005, 04:46 PM
we can make it sticky, but yeah, this part of the forum doesn't exactly fly :)

yasureubetcha
April 19th, 2005, 09:10 PM
*bangs head* ow...

God this is hard... :( My head hurts.....

How am I suppose to cut down a 11 hr plus drive into say....three to four days?? :eek:

back to planning i guess :o

Hey, it's 13 hours from my college in Missouri to my home in MN, and my family usually drives the one-way trip in 2 days; maybe 3 if we stop over a day in between. Not so hard :p. To fit that time-frame you talked about, I mean; driving 7 hours a day in the car with my parents (much as I love them) is indeed hard :p.

SilverRider
April 19th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Hey, it's 13 hours from my college in Missouri to my home in MN, and my family usually drives the one-way trip in 2 days; maybe 3 if we stop over a day in between. Not so hard :p. To fit that time-frame, I mean; driving 7 hours a day in the car with my parents (much as I love them) is indeed hard :p.

For the seven hour drive i can relate....

But it find something for my ficcy :D :D

tsaxlady
April 19th, 2005, 10:08 PM

I have a request, too. I need the name of some small town in the mountains between San Diego and Colorado Springs. I need the town to be in an area where it rains (I know that sounds strange, but there are mountain areas that get very little rain, so....)

Okay do you want something closer to San Diego or Colorado Springs - midway point?

How about Sedona, Arizona - here is a web site to get info on Sedonahttp://www.dreamsedona.com/

SilverRider
April 26th, 2005, 07:19 PM
In what season do they catch the NID member off world?

Skydiver
April 27th, 2005, 04:31 AM
In what season do they catch the NID member off world?

which nid member?

season 2 and touchstone is where the first 4 rogues get trapped off world and we find out that the nid has been using the second gate
season 3 is shades of gray, when jack goes undercover
season 5 is Sentinel, where graves and Kershaw (two of the captured rogues) go back to a planet to fix what they broke
season 6 is smoke and mirrors, where they use a stolen imager from Foothold to frame jack for murder

Sparky13
May 7th, 2005, 06:06 AM
Concerning a small, rainy mountain town between San Diego and Colorado Springs, check out the link below. Travel from or to San Diego through the Sangre de Cristo mountains of southern Colorado and northern New Mexico is a beautiful way to go. Mapquest.com says so. Anyway, see if the link helps.

Sparky

http://sangres.com/mountains/index.htm

SilverRider
May 7th, 2005, 11:01 PM
which nid member?

season 2 and touchstone is where the first 4 rogues get trapped off world and we find out that the nid has been using the second gate
season 3 is shades of gray, when jack goes undercover
season 5 is Sentinel, where graves and Kershaw (two of the captured rogues) go back to a planet to fix what they broke
season 6 is smoke and mirrors, where they use a stolen imager from Foothold to frame jack for murder

um....they help, thanks Denise.

I guess i have to take the s2 one in seson four (in ficcy setting) or re-write the original version :D

Erik Pasternak
May 9th, 2005, 08:08 PM
If anyone has questions about Colorado geography and stuff for a fic, I'd be more than happy to help out. Just PM me if that is needed.

SilverRider
May 10th, 2005, 12:08 AM
If anyone has questions about Colorado geography and stuff for a fic, I'd be more than happy to help out. Just PM me if that is needed.

Thanks Rocke :D :D will PM ya if need anything going north to...um.....From Colorado :o :o

Tomcatter
June 12th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could help me out before I cook up my little fic. If you could answer my question or point me in the right direction, that would be great. I already seached through the omnipedia and forums, but couldn't quite find the answer.

I'm under the impression that to ascend, more than likely you have to die, although it is not a must. Given that there are rules for ascension, is it 'illegal' -- for lack of a better term -- to commit suicide, even if its sort of a martyr, sacrificing-for-the-greater-good thing? (I'm thinking Meridian here.) And when you ascend to a higher plane, what happens to your body? Does it just disappear?

I'm still catching up on my SG-1 eps, but I don't have access to all of them, only the ones that air on tv. 'Threads' was a good starting point, 'Abyss' helped me out a little, and I STILL haven't been able to catch 'Meridian,' but of anyone could answer these questions I would be grateful! Thanks. :)

Skydiver
June 12th, 2005, 05:15 PM
ascension seems to be a metaphysical state, something you either achieve (anubis did that) or someone helps you achieve (like oma did to daniel)

we see in meridian that your body just....goes away. so it's not like if your soul left your physical body, leaving behind an empty shell. nothing is left behind

as to it being ok to commit suicide to ascend, i really dont know. the show has never dealt with that. however, dying seems to be optional, oma has never indicated that she died, rather that she achieved the ascended state so i think you have some leeway.

you can make them die if they need to, or jsut make them ascend

does that help?

Tomcatter
June 13th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Yes, that does help, thanks! I feel shamed for not seeing those episodes, lol. ;)

Since not a lot is known about ascension, I do have some leeway with the whole process, right? Hopefully?

Skydiver
June 13th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Yes, that does help, thanks! I feel shamed for not seeing those episodes, lol. ;)

Since not a lot is known about ascension, I do have some leeway with the whole process, right? Hopefully?

there is some leeway. I think the writers have done this deliberately to make thier own jobs easier (just like on atlantis, they've never definitively said what all is there, so that, if they need to 'find' something, they can. they're being deliberately vague in that regard)

as to the ascension, well if the 'most evil' of all goauld can do it, then it must not be based on much merit and that suggests that it's more along the line of something anyone can accomplish if they want it

Tomcatter
July 3rd, 2005, 09:15 AM
Ok, back again with anothe question, one of more opinion this time....

Does anyone think the whole character-dies-and-is-ascended thing is used too often in fics? I only read those on ff.net, so if anyone has any opinions?

Skydiver
July 3rd, 2005, 11:03 AM
i'm not sure how to answer that, and a large part of it is up to personal taste. personally, i think it's overused in the show. once was ok, twice was silly and ascending all of abydos was beyond stupid. It's like having a sarcophagus in the infirmary and all of a sudden no one cares if they die cause they'll just ascend and descend and cheat death

i haven't read all that much fic that has ascension in it, however i also don't read much daniel fic, which, since it's happened to his character twice, is a natural for ascension/descension.

i have read a few with an ascended janet playing matchmaker and, if it's done well, can be a decent plot device.

i guess my only suggestion is don't treat it like a convenient plot device. bonus points if you can find a unique way to represent it other than 'daniel dies, ascends, is mourned, descends, smarmy ending' :)

like any plot device it can be over used. i've lost count of how many times thor has saved jack, sam or the rest from death

Tomcatter
July 3rd, 2005, 02:49 PM
I was thinking more along the Atlantis fic storylines... sorry to be unclear, lol, but it did help! :) Thanks.

Scarym1
September 27th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Anyone know of a site with a layout of the SGC. I need to know what floor Daniel's office, the cafeteria, the infirmary, the gateroom and the jails and the VIP rooms are on.

Please PM me. Thanks. : )

GaterGina71
November 6th, 2005, 04:07 PM
First, what is the max age someone can join the AF? Second, if someone suffers from addiction/ alcoholism before joining, does the AF have to know and how can it affect thier joining? Of course I know they have to be clean, but is there a certain time they have to be free of drugs? Thanks.

Beatrice Otter
November 6th, 2005, 04:21 PM
First, what is the max age someone can join the AF? Second, if someone suffers from addiction/ alcoholism before joining, does the AF have to know and how can it affect thier joining? Of course I know they have to be clean, but is there a certain time they have to be free of drugs? Thanks.
Don't know. You might try the main Air Force site (http://www.af.mil/)and the Air Force recruiting site (http://www.airforce.com/). The Air Force Times (http://www.airforcetimes.com/) and the Department of Defense (http://www.defenselink.mil/) might help, too. If you don't find what you're looking for in any of those places, I'd ask on the main board with a thread title that asks for military help specifically. Something like "Air Force Enlistment Requirements--Please help." Or you could call your local recruiter and ask him/her.

GaterGina71
November 6th, 2005, 05:30 PM
I went to the recruiting site, and it said to call my local recruiter to get the kind of info I need. Thanks for the links though.

Coz
November 7th, 2005, 02:44 AM
I do know that to join the AF academy (ie to become an officer) the max age is 23 and I believe that it is 28 for enlisted entry, so it depends on what rank you want your character to be.

As for the addiction thing, I'm not sure, sorry.

SilverRider
November 8th, 2005, 01:31 AM
There is a thread already in this section of the froum called "Fic Help". Please have a use of thread in the future.

PS: I'm just pointing it out, not trying to be rude. :)

Skydiver
November 8th, 2005, 09:28 AM
and now the two threads have been merged :)

SilverRider
November 8th, 2005, 11:58 AM
yay :D :D woot. Thanks Denise :)

Sela
November 14th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Hello All!

I remember reading somewhere of a list of all of the SG teams and what their primary area of work was, like the SG Marines. Does anyone know where this listing is or have this information?

Thanks!:)

Seshat
November 14th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Hello All!

I remember reading somewhere of a list of all of the SG teams and what their primary area of work was, like the SG Marines. Does anyone know where this listing is or have this information?

Thanks!:) Try here: http://www.stargatehandbook.org/sg1/sgunits.html
:)

Sela
November 14th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Try here: http://www.stargatehandbook.org/sg1/sgunits.html
Whoa. That is awesome! That is more that I asked for. I've got to print that puppy out so I can read through and highlight passages of it.

Thanks Boo! :)

SilverRider
November 14th, 2005, 06:38 PM

ohh, thanks :D :D this does has info :D

Seshat
November 14th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Whoa. That is awesome! That is more that I asked for. I've got to print that puppy out so I can read through and highlight passages of it.

Thanks Boo! :)
That was one of the very first sites I ever discovered about Stargate, and boy, was I glad! It answers so many questions, and makes many well-thought out assumptions about a lot of things (check out the salary guesstimates for the team, for example) that help give the show a real world perspective for me. :)

Sela
November 15th, 2005, 05:47 PM
That was one of the very first sites I ever discovered about Stargate, and boy, was I glad! It answers so many questions, and makes many well-thought out assumptions about a lot of things (check out the salary guesstimates for the team, for example) that help give the show a real world perspective for me. :)
I have another request for info:

Anyone know of where I can get information on the layout of the SGC? I would like to know as much as possible on what areas and departments are on which levels. Are there blueprints like there are in Trek fandom for their various ships and facilities?

Thanks!

BruTak
November 18th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Generally I find that if you make something up, and it sounds plausable, nine times out of ten you get it right.

For example, one of my SG-999 fics, "What We Did During Our Summer Vacation" (read it now on www.sg-999.org.uk click on Community, then Stories) has a group of SG team members in an open topped Humvee.

When I wrote the story (almost two years ago) I wasn't sure if such a thing existed, but it sounded plausable.
A couple of months after I finished the story and had it posted on our website, I happened to see a news report about US forces in Iraq. Sitting in an open topped Humvee were a bunch of US Marines.

Was this a case of life imitating art, or vice versa?:D

Sela
November 18th, 2005, 08:50 AM
I see your point and I will do that to fill in the gaps once I can locate any information already out there. You know how we sci-fi fans are about our 'canon' no matter what universe we play in. Even with it being background information I want to get it as close to right as possible.

Mr Prophet
November 18th, 2005, 09:08 AM
I see your point and I will do that to fill in the gaps once I can locate any information already out there. You know how we sci-fi fans are about our 'canon' no matter what universe we play in. Even with it being background information I want to get it as close to right as possible.

The site that has the group descriptions is a pretty good catalogue of canon. It also has a compendium of known locational references, although that gets a little contradictory.

White Knight
November 19th, 2005, 05:04 AM
I have another request for info:

Anyone know of where I can get information on the layout of the SGC? I would like to know as much as possible on what areas and departments are on which levels. Are there blueprints like there are in Trek fandom for their various ships and facilities?

Thanks!
The Wiki atwww.stargate-sg1-solutions.com has a comprehensive walkthrough of the entire SGC, going through every level in great detail. Its very interesting.

Sela
November 19th, 2005, 11:18 AM
The Wiki atwww.stargate-sg1-solutions.com has a comprehensive walkthrough of the entire SGC, going through every level in great detail. Its very interesting.
* Sela squeals like a little girl.

Thanks so much!

Livi2Jack
November 20th, 2005, 06:49 AM

Answer: Julian, Ca. It's an old town in the mtns east of San Diego about 70 mi east. It hosts an Apple Festival each fall and boasts original buildings from the 1800's. Cute little town to antique shop and stroll in the woods. It's up high and cool in the heat of summer and gets rain in the fall/winter, Also light amount of snow.

The distance between San Diego and Colorado Springs is about 1500 miles. Most of it is desert. But as you reach Northern Arizona around Flagstaff you get rain. That's on the way to the Grand Canyon. As you get into Southern Colorado around Mancos or Durango, you get into the mountains and there is rain in the summer, snow in the winter. So, google those names and see if they fit for you.

The whole Southwest of the USA is very dry. It does rain, just not the way you get it in England.

Traveler Enroute1
January 18th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Bumpin' this up so you can hear me! http://www.smileys.ws/smls/action/00000030.gif

Someone posted somewhere the make and model of Samantha Carter's motorcycle. We got a glimpse of it in either The Curse and/or Space Race.

Just sayin', appreciate any help there! :sam:

Edit: I may have stumbled across it searching for something else, naturally! Does 1940s Indian (classic) sound familiar? Is that the model or maker? Thanks!

Skydiver
January 19th, 2006, 04:30 AM
she has an indian that we've seen in The Curse, but AT herself has suggested that sam actually has 2 cycles. the indian which is kinda too pretty to ride and a harley.

we have no make/model on that, just the actress' word that she'd have a more 'practical' one to ride on a daily basis

Traveler Enroute1
January 19th, 2006, 05:41 AM
she has an indian that we've seen in The Curse, but AT herself has suggested that sam actually has 2 cycles. the indian which is kinda too pretty to ride and a harley.

we have no make/model on that, just the actress' word that she'd have a more 'practical' one to ride on a daily basis

Much obliged, Skydiver. :)

Just sayin', that helps alot! :sam59:

Jynjyr
February 6th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Now, this is a helpful thread. Good show.

MapQuest is wonderful for finding locations in and around Colorado Springs and other areas. ExpediaMaps is good, as well. They even have maps on the grounds of the Air Force Academy. (Jack's Valley = the commando course. LOL)
At one point, I contacted the Chamber of Commerce and they sent me local maps. I have access to more info than I ever thought I wanted to know about CS.
If you're looking for accurate weather conditions (on Earth). Almanac.com has weather history. Zip Code for CS is 80920.
WEBMD.com gives you excruciating detail on diseases and injuries. Like I wanted to know what a dislocated shoulder was and how to fix it. Or the symptoms of viral encephalitis (what Jack had in Frozen.)

Why was I here in the first place? :confused: OH, yeah. Question for a fic.
In Season 8, after Jack took command, who is his 2nd in Command? It isn't Sam, she doesn't have the rank. I'm having Jack go missing, presumed dead off world and I need to know to whom SG-1 would report this. He had to have left someone in command.

Skydiver
February 6th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Why was I here in the first place? :confused: OH, yeah. Question for a fic.
In Season 8, after Jack took command, who is his 2nd in Command? It isn't Sam, she doesn't have the rank. I'm having Jack go missing, presumed dead off world and I need to know to whom SG-1 would report this. He had to have left someone in command.

you know, that's probably the biggest plot hole of the whole show. the real norad is, last i knew, run by a 4 adn a 3 star general (the 3 star is his xo)

so it's highly unlikely that a mere colonel would be hammond's second, most likely a brigadir general. and even if jack was his xo, that job is a desk job, not one for someone larking off off world on a regular basis

jack being second on the base is fanon. there is absolutely nothing supporting it in the show other than jack being in command of the base. there is a huge difference between 'officer of the day' or whatever the term is for 'you're the boss for the next 8 hours' and second in command of the base

in your situation i would suggest two options. s8 spoilers
since jack is a brigadir general, you can't have another 1 star be his boss, so i'd suggest either hammond comes back to watch things while jack is gone.
general kerrigan from the af academy steps in. he's of rank and works across town and knows of hte project.
or i'm a big fan of colonel dixon, colonel reynolds or another colonel to watch the place in jack's absence

Jynjyr
February 6th, 2006, 04:38 PM
I was thinking of doing exactly that. The Colonel. Which one is Senior? Or I could pull a name out of my :eek: and say he's senior. James Holland, maybe? Better yet, they're each taking an 8-hour watch. Jack is going to be legitimately off-world for days before he turns up missing.
Thanks. I didn't pay close attention to S8 and wasn't sure if I was missing something.

Skydiver
February 6th, 2006, 04:42 PM
there's nothing canon suggesting that any one is senior over another so knock yourself out and have fun.

who will serve your story better? a jack-like goofy type like dixon or a grumpier kind of man like reynolds?

i like them both

Mr Prophet
February 7th, 2006, 04:16 AM
you know, that's probably the biggest plot hole of the whole show. the real norad is, last i knew, run by a 4 adn a 3 star general (the 3 star is his xo)

so it's highly unlikely that a mere colonel would be hammond's second, most likely a brigadir general. and even if jack was his xo, that job is a desk job, not one for someone larking off off world on a regular basis

Well, that's NORAD, but Cheyenne Mountain Station is run by a 1-star, and certainly in the first five or six seasons the SGC is a very small command, run by a General they thought they were putting out to grass. Even in the later seasons, you still have the SGC as a small part of the larger Department of Homeworld Security with, one presumes, separate commands for the offworld bases and a large civilian component as well.

Major Davis has often acted a lot like Hammond's XO, although he's officially the Pentagon liaison officer.

Seniority is a matter of opinion and not 100% relevant. A senior man can serve under a junior if appropriate to the mission, although he might be resentful. Seniority really counts when you're looking to sort out a default chain of command.

Skydiver
February 7th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Seniority is a matter of opinion and not 100% relevant. A senior man can serve under a junior if appropriate to the mission, although he might be resentful. Seniority really counts when you're looking to sort out a default chain of command.

which, unfortunatly, can leave you in a situation where teh most senior officer don't know beans while the less senior officer is the most experienced in an area.

that's when you find out if an officer is able to put aside rank for the 'better' of the situation or if you're stuck with a jerk who'd rather be incompetantly in command than let someone else boss him around

BruTak
February 7th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Question: What does Hammond/O'Neill/Landry tell the family of someone who's died off-world?

Mr Prophet
February 7th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Question: What does Hammond/O'Neill/Landry tell the family of someone who's died off-world?

Died serving his/her country...due to the nature of the work can not give any details...an honour to serve with...

The rest would be as personal as they could make it and might have to include a note to the effect that no body could be released for burial.

BruTak
February 7th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Died serving his/her country...due to the nature of the work can not give any details...an honour to serve with...

The rest would be as personal as they could make it and might have to include a note to the effect that no body could be released for burial.
That's kind of what I figured. Thanks.

How many times do we think O'Neill and Carter have had to fill in a form cos they "lost" a P-90?:jonas:

The Signal
February 7th, 2006, 10:25 AM
I used to use that site before I came across GW, great site

Jynjyr
February 7th, 2006, 05:25 PM

Thank you. I kinda thought that was the story. I needed that little tidbit as well.

A veritable cornucopia of contributive information here. (I have to stop reading the dictionary. :rolleyes: )

Traveler Enroute1
February 8th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Hi, another request, altho I did ask this question on the Daniel Jackson discussion thread as well:

Does anyone know if Daniel Jackson was tortured? The closest I came to this was in Fire and Water where Daniel volunteered to let Nem probe his mind for the hidden memory, knowing it could cripple or kill him. .

Just sayin', need it for fanfic reference. Thanks for any help. :daniel:

Skydiver
February 8th, 2006, 06:45 PM
there is a potential in new ground. i seem to remember daniel being returned to the others

but i think that's about it

Mr Prophet
February 9th, 2006, 07:15 AM
I think he got the Blood of Sokar treatment in The Devil You Know, but despite the immense popularity of Danny Whumping he really does tend to get the psychological torment rather than being beaten with sticks.

BruTak
February 9th, 2006, 07:24 AM
On the subject of Dr. D. Jackson - does it seem locical that he'd at least know of (if not know personally) Lara Croft?;)

Mr Prophet
February 9th, 2006, 08:38 AM
If they exist in the same universe, I'd imagine he'd despise her. If they knew each other personally, they'd probably have a relationship not dissimilar to that Daniel has with Vala, although with slightly more anger and disdain and less flirtation.

Traveler Enroute1
February 9th, 2006, 09:22 AM
I think he got the Blood of Sokar treatment in The Devil You Know, but despite the immense popularity of Danny Whumping he really does tend to get the psychological torment rather than being beaten with sticks.

Hmm, good point. Although we didn't get to see his emotional trauma-reruns, it's feasible to use anything in his memory and relate it to the blood of Sokar (or as Jack puts it, "something that reminded me of the 60's"). Acutally I prefer psych attacks rather than physical; less bloody and usually more powerful.

Just sayin', thanks for your input, Mr Prophet. That might work out. :daniel:

BruTak
February 11th, 2006, 05:31 AM
If they exist in the same universe, I'd imagine he'd despise her. If they knew each other personally, they'd probably have a relationship not dissimilar to that Daniel has with Vala, although with slightly more anger and disdain and less flirtation.
Hmm, good point.

Similarly, would Daniel be familiar with the antics of Dr. Henry "Indiana" Jones?:cameron:

Mr Prophet
February 11th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Hmm, good point.

Similarly, would Daniel be familiar with the antics of Dr. Henry "Indiana" Jones?:cameron:

Indy at least had the attitude of an archaeologist and a few vestiges of academic rigour. He was of his time, but he was into careful excavation and not making assumptions, at least when he didn't have Nazis breathing down his neck.

BruTak
February 11th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Indy at least had the attitude of an archaeologist and a few vestiges of academic rigour. He was of his time, but he was into careful excavation and not making assumptions, at least when he didn't have Nazis breathing down his neck.
It's within the realms of posibility that Daniel could have met Indy. The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles shows Indy living into his early 90's at least.

I can just picture an elderly Dr. Jones accosting young Dr. Jackson at some museum or other, and Indy regaling Daniel with a tale of his misspent youth...:cameron:

KSTreadhead
February 13th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Groom Lake or Area 51 is part Nellis AFB, Nevada. It is about an hour's flight southwest of the Colorado Springs-Fort Carson-Cheyenne Mountain area. That is if you go by jet. Helicopter would likely take two to three hours. Highway travel would likely be a two-day trip for safety concerns, but it could be done in about a day. Nellis AFB is northwest of Los Vegas as far as I know.

KSTreadhead
February 13th, 2006, 06:47 AM
As for Indy and Dr. Jackson the two would have to had met during Daniel's undergraduate studies. Indy now would be well over one-hundred and on his death bed. Unless of course he was actually a Tok'ra host and the Tok'ra was assigned to watch Earth for some reason. Being a Tok'ra host could explain the rapid healing of his frequent injuries. It also could explain a lot of other things about Doctor Henry "Indiana" Jones.

Skydiver
February 13th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Groom Lake or Area 51 is part Nellis AFB, Nevada. It is about an hour's flight southwest of the Colorado Springs-Fort Carson-Cheyenne Mountain area. That is if you go by jet. Helicopter would likely take two to three hours. Highway travel would likely be a two-day trip for safety concerns, but it could be done in about a day. Nellis AFB is northwest of Los Vegas as far as I know.
nellis is right on the outskirts of vegas.

i would imagine if they needed to get from cheyenne to nellis, they'd just go over to peterson afb and hop a plane and fly there.

like you said, about an hour's flight

greytop
February 13th, 2006, 03:51 PM
nellis is right on the outskirts of vegas.

i would imagine if they needed to get from cheyenne to nellis, they'd just go over to peterson afb and hop a plane and fly there.

like you said, about an hour's flightThey do. In Off The Grid, Landry asks (or orders) Walter to have a plane ready at Petersen for a flight to Area 51

BruTak
February 14th, 2006, 06:23 AM
What are the proper words of command for forming a ceremonial arch and drawing swords at an officer's wedding? Anyone have any idea?

CeeKay Sheppard
February 14th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Can anybody tell me how gunshot wounds were treated during WWII? Just to put it into context:

•Sheppard's team is on a planet at a WWII technological level.
•The wound is life-threatening – nicked the subclavian artery.
•The battle is over. The wound was caused by one of the last shots fired.
•A doctor (native to the planet) is at the scene.
•The wounded Lantian is left behind by the rest of the team.

This is the opening scene of a fic I'm writing, and I just need to know what I'm talking about. Thanks!

Skydiver
February 15th, 2006, 04:37 AM
he'd probably be dead.

i doubt that vascular surgery, especially in a battle field situation, would be able to deal with an arterial injury given 1950's level of tech

maybe, just maybe, if carson was there and knew what to do

i'm no military historian but an artery injury, especially in a place that can't be tournaqueted off, would not end well

even if shep or the other doctor patched him up, i would think shep would be pretty immobile for a while. I don't think he could risk doing anything too strenuous that might tear the artery open again

CeeKay Sheppard
February 15th, 2006, 10:20 AM
he'd probably be dead.

i doubt that vascular surgery, especially in a battle field situation, would be able to deal with an arterial injury given 1950's level of tech

maybe, just maybe, if carson was there and knew what to do

i'm no military historian but an artery injury, especially in a place that can't be tournaqueted off, would not end well

even if shep or the other doctor patched him up, i would think shep would be pretty immobile for a while. I don't think he could risk doing anything too strenuous that might tear the artery open again

Drat. Okay, time to go rethink the scene.

BTW, just out of curiosity – how did you know it was Sheppard? I said "the wounded Lantian" specifically to avoid giving it away to any Shep Whumpers who might lurk here. Then again, it's now occurring to me that they know I'm writing a whump fic... I'm just wondering how you knew.

Edit: Oh, how rude of me. :o Thanks for the help!

Skydiver
February 15th, 2006, 12:42 PM
LOL

i'm sorry. i just guessed. do you want me to go back and edit my post?

you know, he could still be shot and it could still be serious without involving an artery. subclavian artery, so you're aiming for a shoulder wound. Well bullets can bounce off the scapula and end up back in the chest. It can be pressing against the heart, creating an issue that needs to be dealt with (although chest surgery would be a serious issue as well)

what if, instead of the artery, it hits a vein? lower pressure, it's more forgiving but can still be serious.

even with that though, i wouldn't imagine your person would be too mobile

simply removing the bullet and dealing with the muscular damage and lack of movement could incapicitate your person. i would imagine witha shot in the shoulder that their arm is pretty much useless. not to mention them not moving well and even breathing would hurt. even if the ribs aren't involved, you still use most of your chest muscles to breathe

and there is that pesky infection issue as well. antibiotics weren't widely used until WWII adn most folks died of infection rather than their wound.

CeeKay Sheppard
February 15th, 2006, 01:11 PM
LOL

i'm sorry. i just guessed. do you want me to go back and edit my post?
Nah... no biggie. I only ever write about Sheppard, anyway. :rolleyes: He's just so... whumpable. :D

you know, he could still be shot and it could still be serious without involving an artery. subclavian artery, so you're aiming for a shoulder wound. Well bullets can bounce off the scapula and end up back in the chest. It can be pressing against the heart, creating an issue that needs to be dealt with (although chest surgery would be a serious issue as well)

what if, instead of the artery, it hits a vein? lower pressure, it's more forgiving but can still be serious.

even with that though, i wouldn't imagine your person would be too mobile

simply removing the bullet and dealing with the muscular damage and lack of movement could incapicitate your person. i would imagine witha shot in the shoulder that their arm is pretty much useless. not to mention them not moving well and even breathing would hurt. even if the ribs aren't involved, you still use most of your chest muscles to breathe

and there is that pesky infection issue as well. antibiotics weren't widely used until WWII adn most folks died of infection rather than their wound.
Oh, wow... most of this is pretty much news to me. You see, this is the same issue I'm having with my first SGA fic, "Plague." I know a little about anatomy, but absolutely nothing about medicine, which makes writing convincing whump quite difficult. (Unfortunately, that didn't stop me then... :eek:)

Hey, what if the bullet encountered the scapula from behind (he got shot in the back)? Would it bounce off? Or would it embed itself in the bone? ...Or break it? I suppose it would depend somewhat on the range – and whether or not those military vests are bulletproof, which I somehow doubt (IIRC, the monster in "Epiphany" claws right through it. But I could be wrong). The "life-threatening" bit isn't really essential to the story – he just has to get shot, and it has to be bad (without being permanently crippling). In fact, I was only thinking shoulder wound because I didn't want him dead.

Oh, brainstorm! The tech level of the planet could be fairly primitive, and the weapon could be an arrow instead of a bullet. That, I think, I can deal with. Native herbal remedies can be very effective (especially in sci-fi ;))...

Yeah... I don't want to give it all away, but considering what you've told me, I think I have this pretty well under control now. Thanks!

Skydiver
February 15th, 2006, 04:21 PM
lol, yes he is whumpable

if you're interested, here's a good group for research

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fanfic_med/

generally speaking, if you want your character to survive, don't let them have an arterial injury unless they're in the sgc. In the case of the aorta (main chest artery off the heart), pulmonary (the artery to the lung), femoral (leg artery) or brachial artery (in the arms) - and the ever popular carotid (neck) arteries, if any of those are damaged/severed, your character has about 4-8 minutes before they bleed to death

CeeKay Sheppard
February 15th, 2006, 04:43 PM
lol, yes he is whumpable

generally speaking, if you want your character to survive, don't let them have an arterial injury unless they're in the sgc. In the case of the aorta (main chest artery off the heart), pulmonary (the artery to the lung), femoral (leg artery) or brachial artery (in the arms) - and the ever popular carotid (neck) arteries, if any of those are damaged/severed, your character has about 4-8 minutes before they bleed to death

Thank you!

Mr Prophet
February 16th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Oh, wow... most of this is pretty much news to me. You see, this is the same issue I'm having with my first SGA fic, "Plague." I know a little about anatomy, but absolutely nothing about medicine, which makes writing convincing whump quite difficult. (Unfortunately, that didn't stop me then... :eek:)

If I may suggest, pain and simile? Just imagine that you have been shot in the shoulder; would you know that it had barely touched the subclavian artery but glanced off into the chest cavity? Or would you just know that it hurt like anything?

Injuries actually don't always feel like you'd expect. Have you ever heard a police officer - or anyone else for that matter - describe getting stabbed? If they didn't realise the other guy had a knife, they usually say that they were initially surprised at how hard they had been punched. Even a veteran whumpee like Sheppard isn't going to be able to identify his injury in anatomical detail while he lies there bleeding out, so unless Beckett is there there's not much call for detail.

Vagueness is a happier writing partner than inaccuracy. Words I try to live by.

Would it bounce off? Or would it embed itself in the bone? ...Or break it?

Is the cat dead or alive? Bullets and bodies do funny things sometimes; there are people who survive being shot in the head with almost no ill-effects.

I suppose it would depend somewhat on the range – and whether or not those military vests are bulletproof, which I somehow doubt (IIRC, the monster in "Epiphany" claws right through it. But I could be wrong).

Remember, Kevlar bullet-proof vests are designed to spread the impact of an attack along the fibres of the weave; they are pretty much useless against anything that puts all the force on a small point, such as a sharp blade or a high-velocity rifle round, and they cut pretty easily. To give a little extra protection, they put trauma plates in - ceramic pads designed to shatter when a high-velocity slug hts them, dissipating the force so that the kevlar can absorb it, but lightweight body armour that also stops knives is something that the Met worked on for years.

Note, then, that an arrow would slice clean through kevlar.

Also, bullet-proof is a misnomer; they're mostly designed to take small-arms fire at long range, ricochets and light shrapnel. Moreover, even if it does stop a bullet, the wearer is likely to have a huge bruise and possibly even broken bones; just not a messy bullet hole. The only real protection from a close-range shot with a modern, military firearm is to not be hit.

Skydiver
February 16th, 2006, 04:45 AM
oh yeah. that's the biggest 'mistake' with a bullet 'proof' vest

the shot person doesn't just jump up and is fine. s/he is gonna have one hell of a bruise from all that impact. and might even have some soft tissue injuries, bruised ribs, broken ribs, etc.

as to getting shot, never happened to me so i can't share, but any injury doesn't hurt at first. there are a few seconds where it's painless. the nerves are too shocked to realize something has happened.

then it hurts.

another thing, internal bleeding hurts. the body doesn't like loose blood and you will have this achy burning feeling

so, imagine someone getting shot

they'll feel the impact. get knocked over. wonder why they're knocked over. they might feel this watery warmth of the blood before it hits them that it IS blood.

tehn it'll start to hurt. niggling at first, then sharper

how they handle it is up to thier tolerance for pain and how bad it is. some have a high pain tolerance and can function. others just cant' handle it and pass out

Mr Prophet
February 16th, 2006, 04:59 AM
I really have no idea how realistic it was, but one of my better character-gets-shot scenes - artistically - had Ferretti feeling all light-headed and achey and wondering who the man was whom people were shouting was down, and only slowly realising that it was him.

CeeKay Sheppard
February 16th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Hey, thanks for all the insights! That will definitely be useful in the future – the fic I'm working on now kind of evolved into a journal entry, so Sheppard is looking back on the incident about two weeks later. He saw it coming, too (jumped into the arrow's path to save a little girl), so that would have an effect on the narration as well. But now I have a much better idea of what I'm doing, so thank you both very much!

BruTak
February 20th, 2006, 04:42 AM
Okay, any history buffs out there? Are there any known cases of British military units going "missing", just vanishing into thin air?

I seem to recall there was one during the First World War, but I'm kind of aiming for something around the early to mid 1800's mark.
I've kind of got a notion of and SG team finding the descendants of some Riflemen who were abducted by a Goa'uld - maybe I've just seen "The Man Who Would Be King" once too often...:cameron:

SilverRider
February 20th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I'm doing a Shep/Carson/Radek whumping fic but I dunno where to start :(

Anyone wanna help? :sheppard:

Skydiver
February 20th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Okay, any history buffs out there? Are there any known cases of British military units going "missing", just vanishing into thin air?

I seem to recall there was one during the First World War, but I'm kind of aiming for something around the early to mid 1800's mark.
I've kind of got a notion of and SG team finding the descendants of some Riflemen who were abducted by a Goa'uld - maybe I've just seen "The Man Who Would Be King" once too often...:cameron:
well, given the near total lack of communications in that time period, i'd say y you'd have no issue just making one up

Skydiver
February 20th, 2006, 06:09 PM
I'm doing a Shep/Carson/Radek whumping fic but I dunno where to start :(

Anyone wanna help? :sheppard:
at the beginning????

sorry.

well, you have three basic choices

start linear, with the characters going on the mission that gets them in trouble and whumped

start in the middle, with them being whumped, flash back to how they got there and deal with them being rescued

start at the end, them home and safe and carson taking care of them and tell the story in flashbacks

any of the three could work, it's just a matter of how you want to do it.

i would suggest....give things a reason. if someone is whumping on them, htere needs to be a reason other than 'i want them owied'

the more of a reason the baddies have, the more real they are and the 'better' the fic

SilverRider
February 20th, 2006, 06:50 PM
at the beginning????

sorry.

well, you have three basic choices

start linear, with the characters going on the mission that gets them in trouble and whumped

start in the middle, with them being whumped, flash back to how they got there and deal with them being rescued

start at the end, them home and safe and carson taking care of them and tell the story in flashbacks

any of the three could work, it's just a matter of how you want to do it.

i would suggest....give things a reason. if someone is whumping on them, htere needs to be a reason other than 'i want them owied'

the more of a reason the baddies have, the more real they are and the 'better' the fic

I might take the first choice that seems more ideal, Plus I can leave my readers in suspence to a while :P :P

Skydiver
February 20th, 2006, 06:53 PM
there you go. you know how to begin it, the kids in a jumper going to the planet, already ON the planet ready to get into trouble or on atlantis discussing the mission

SilverRider
February 20th, 2006, 07:06 PM
:lol: Someone's keen on this fic. :D I'll plan it out and start typing away.

BTW It's Called "Among the Stars" :)

Skydiver
February 21st, 2006, 04:28 AM
cool.

keep us updated, i'm sure for those among us that don't write, it'll be interesting to see how the whole fanfic thing goes.

in some ways and for some folks, it's easier than it looks....but also it's a lot harder than you'd think

BruTak
February 21st, 2006, 05:48 AM
well, given the near total lack of communications in that time period, i'd say y you'd have no issue just making one up
Thanks Skydiver, I'll have a think about it.

Meantime, here's another query - I've got the germ of an idea for a funny fic, to be called "Teal'c's First Christmas".
Nothing's written down so far, but I plan to have the following: Gen. Hammond in a Santa costume with Dr. Frasier as his "little helper". O'Neill inviting Daniel, Carter and teal'c to his place for Christmas dinner. Carter getting ever so slightly tiddly on eggnog and cornering her CO under the mistletoe. And the following line (or variation thereof) Teal'c: "I do not understand, Daniel Jackson. Why do the people of the Tau'ri choose to celebrate as a holiday the death of a man for his religeous beliefs?"

Suggestions for who gives which person what Christmas present would be helpful. As would a general idea of the kind of Christmas Day-type TV shows broadcast in the US.

Mr Prophet
February 21st, 2006, 06:17 AM
And the following line (or variation thereof) Teal'c: "I do not understand, Daniel Jackson. Why do the people of the Tau'ri choose to celebrate as a holiday the death of a man for his religeous beliefs?"

I have to say, not only is this absolutely the kind of holiday Teal'c could get behind (Jaffa are big on dying for what you believe in), but Christmas celebrates the birth of Christ, not his death.

BruTak
February 21st, 2006, 06:24 AM
I have to say, not only is this absolutely the kind of holiday Teal'c could get behind (Jaffa are big on dying for what you believe in), but Christmas celebrates the birth of Christ, not his death.
Ooops! So it is, silly me...:o

I've had a wee bit of a think about what presents the guys would get each other - Carter would get Teal'c some nice candles for his Kelno'reem. Daniel would give him a hat (something by Kangol probably) for when he goes out in public. And O'Neill would give him - wait for it - the Star Wars trilogy.

CeeKay Sheppard
February 21st, 2006, 06:46 AM
Ooops! So it is, silly me...:o

I've had a wee bit of a think about what presents the guys would get each other - Carter would get Teal'c some nice candles for his Kelno'reem. Daniel would give him a hat (something by Kangol probably) for when he goes out in public. And O'Neill would give him - wait for it - the Star Wars trilogy.

I like it. And congrats on 1000 posts!

BruTak
February 21st, 2006, 06:50 AM
I like it. And congrats on 1000 posts!
1000 posts? Already? Wow...

Many thanks CeeKay.:cameron:
*performs Dance of joy* Sings - "Happy-happy, joy-joy, happy-happy, joy-joy!":)

SqueeG-1
February 21st, 2006, 07:39 PM
Congrats on 1000 BruTak!

I've also posted this in a thread (probably the wrong one :o) in Science and Tech, but then I found this place. My question is:

Can anyone tell me what kind of guns O'Neill and Carter were using in Season 4? Were they both using P-90s?

Thanks.:)

Skydiver
February 22nd, 2006, 04:37 AM
if i'm remembering right, they carried MP5's up until the one where daniel got kidnapped by teh unas. the episode name is totally escaping me. where they go to p3x888 and find the primordial goauold and rothman gets killed (yeah, i can remember the plot but not the title)

anyway, i believe that's the first time we see the p90

SqueeG-1
February 22nd, 2006, 05:53 AM
Great! Thanks Skydiver. (I can't remember the name of the ep either, but I know the one you mean.)

:D

Edit: Ah, the wonderful Omnipedia. The First Ones, ep. 408.

(So, it's safe for me to say P-90 for a story set at the end of Season 4. Phew.)

greytop
February 22nd, 2006, 05:57 AM
Could it be 'The First Ones'?

Skydiver
February 22nd, 2006, 06:40 AM
that's it.

taht's what i get for typing before the diet coke has a chance to kick in

BruTak
February 23rd, 2006, 06:13 AM
Does it seem logical that Gen. Hammond and/or Gen. Landry would be driven to Cheyenne Mountain in a USAF staff car, rather than drive himself in his own personal vehicle?

Skydiver
February 23rd, 2006, 08:26 AM
either way i would think. i'm not up on protocol for generals but i dont' know if either of them strikes me as the 'drive me' type

BruTak
February 24th, 2006, 02:18 AM
either way i would think. i'm not up on protocol for generals but i dont' know if either of them strikes me as the 'drive me' type
Hmmm - what kind of car would Hammond/Landry drive?

Mr Prophet
February 24th, 2006, 03:45 AM
Hmmm - what kind of car would Hammond/Landry drive?

Hammond probably has one of those huge family-tank things with room for his granddaughters' entire bedrooms in the back; either an SUV or a station wagon.

Daryl Froggy
March 2nd, 2006, 01:20 PM
I'm thinking about making a fanfic but I'm unsure of how to do one exactly. Do you just post installments to them or do you post them all at once?

CeeKay Sheppard
March 2nd, 2006, 02:10 PM
I'm thinking about making a fanfic but I'm unsure of how to do one exactly. Do you just post installments to them or do you post them all at once?

That depends on how long it is and where you want to post it. If it's only a couple of pages long, post it all at once. On FanFiction.net, you can post a very long story in chapters – just make sure you save each chapter as a separate document. On GateWorld, you should post it all at once, because the archive doesn't have a chaptering feature, and it's a pain to go hunting down chapters (unless it's a series of shorter stand-alones – those can be posted separately).

Good luck!

BruTak
March 3rd, 2006, 04:54 AM
Speaking personally, I have an on going SG-1 and Team SG-999 fic running on the SG-999 website - www.sg-999.org.uk - I tend to write a chapter at a time and then send it off to the webmaster.

Mr Prophet
March 3rd, 2006, 07:31 AM

When I'm writing, the precise plot of the story undergoes so many changes during the process that I could never post chapters. I get one finished, however long it takes, then send it to the beta.

BruTak
March 6th, 2006, 04:57 AM
What would the word of command be to bring a briefing room of mixed military personnel (Army, Navy Air Force, Marines) to attention when a senior officer enters?

Mr Prophet
March 6th, 2006, 08:41 AM
What would the word of command be to bring a briefing room of mixed military personnel (Army, Navy Air Force, Marines) to attention when a senior officer enters?

Probably depends where they are; you'd use whatever was appropriate for the setting. Actually, people being people you'd probably use whatever the first person to see the CO was used to, so if it were a Naval officer or Marine, probably '...on deck'. Not sure what the Army and AF equivalents are though.

Skydiver
March 6th, 2006, 04:53 PM
isn't 'ten-hut' pretty universal?

which is attention kinda warped

CeeKay Sheppard
March 6th, 2006, 06:57 PM
isn't 'ten-hut' pretty universal?

which is attention kinda warped

Well, marching bands had to get it from somewhere... *shrugs*

Skydiver
March 7th, 2006, 04:42 AM
for a clue to what the AF uses, check out chain reaction.

when bauer is coming in to 'meet' the whole command, jack goes 'ten hut' to bring everyone to attention

BruTak
March 7th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Hmmm - pretty much what I had in mind, but it's nice to get a second opinion.

I'm writing a new fic, and it's basically following on from "Dsclosure" and "The Fourth Horseman" in that representatives from the armed forces of the UK, France, Russia, China and Israel (cos they're sneaky and are into everything anyway) are granted clearance for Project Stargate.
Plus of course I'm including cameos by US military charatcers from a couple of my fave authors.

Working title is "Full Disclosure", and I'll be sure and let you know how it turns out. :)

Oh, almost forgot - any queries about any kind of modern weapon at all, visit www.world.guns.ru

daydreamer
March 17th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Hi, I am new to your thread, in fact I am new to any thread at this point. I have never written a fanfic before but have been enjoying the S/J fics through e-mail subscription for quite some time now. I have been conjouring up so many senarios in my mind about S/J's first REAL kiss over the last couple of years that I knew I would have to put it down in words eventually.

I finally got brave enough to do that and now and have about a 7 page J/S fanfic written. I am wondering if anyone can recommend how I can find what I understand to be a "beta reader"? I have absolutely NO IDEA what all this involves and I'm afraid I have NO CLUE of what the accepted or non accepted "protocol" of the process is.

I still have to weed through it and determine the Seasons involved, I think, and I'm not even sure how far to go with that. I could really use some good advise.

Am I at the right place? Thanks!

CeeKay Sheppard
March 17th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Hi, I am new to your thread, in fact I am new to any thread at this point. I have never written a fanfic before but have been enjoying the S/J fics through e-mail subscription for quite some time now. I have been conjouring up so many senarios in my mind about S/J's first REAL kiss over the last couple of years that I knew I would have to put it down in words eventually.

I finally got brave enough to do that and now and have about a 7 page J/S fanfic written. I am wondering if anyone can recommend how I can find what I understand to be a "beta reader"? I have absolutely NO IDEA what all this involves and I'm afraid I have NO CLUE of what the accepted or non accepted "protocol" of the process is.

I still have to weed through it and determine the Seasons involved, I think, and I'm not even sure how far to go with that. I could really use some good advise.

Am I at the right place? Thanks!

Yes, you are. :D Welcome to GateWorld, and congratulations on your first fanfic! A beta reader is basically a proofreader – he/she looks at spelling, grammar, characterization, plot holes, etc. Check out this thread (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=15731) to find one.

daydreamer
March 17th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Yes, you are. :D Welcome to GateWorld, and congratulations on your first fanfic! A beta reader is basically a proofreader – he/she looks at spelling, grammar, characterization, plot holes, etc. Check out this thread (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=15731) to find one.
Thank you so much! :) I feel like I'm being transferred from department to department on the phone cause I was recommended to this thread from another thread. Hee! Hee! But, Hey! I really don't mind! It's OK! Ya'll seem really nice and I soooo appreciate your help!! (in the Arnold Swarzneggar (sp?) tone... "I'll be back!) :)

SqueeG-1
May 9th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Hi - Does anyone know what the guards at the check-in level of the Mountain would be? MPs? SFs? And I know that MP stands for military police, but what does SF mean?

Thanks!

Skydiver
May 11th, 2006, 04:20 AM
it's my understanding that SF = Special Forces and are the air force equivalent of MP's

it's very possible that the guys at the surface have no idea what's going on below them. just that they have protocols to follow, lists to read and a perimeter to maintain.

they probably don't know what's under them, just that very few folks are allowed access

Mr Prophet
May 11th, 2006, 08:34 AM
it's my understanding that SF = Special Forces and are the air force equivalent of MP's

I believe it's Security Forces, but otherwise, yeah.

Skydiver
May 11th, 2006, 09:23 AM
ah, security. that makes sense. :)

sorry, the caffeine hadn't kicked in yet

i'm thinking the average guard at the top doesn't know much beyond having a list of who is/is not allowed into the mountain and a number to call if something happens that he's not sure about (like they did in hathor. got a visitor at the surface, couldn't get her to go away and she knew about the gate....dont' try to handle it, call someone else and hand it off to them)

SqueeG-1
May 11th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Thank you both!

true_romance
May 12th, 2006, 11:11 AM
hi there is there any posiblity that some one could look over my latest work for me pleaz its only on chapter and is on gust over a page long pleaz pleaz pleaz

BruTak
May 16th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Strictly speaking, Military Police are Army, Air Police are Air Force, and Shore Patrol are US Navy and USMC.

Skydiver
May 16th, 2006, 07:00 AM
hi there is there any posiblity that some one could look over my latest work for me pleaz its only on chapter and is on gust over a page long pleaz pleaz pleaz
if no one's offered, send it on over to me

GatetheWay
June 17th, 2006, 11:50 AM
HELP!

I need a Beta! I just need someone to look over my chapters correct their punctuation, grammar, and spelling then to tell me what they thought of it over all. I'd prefer someone experienced with Betaing because I'm quite new to fanfic.

PM me if you're interested.

SilverRider
June 17th, 2006, 11:18 PM
HELP!

I need a Beta! I just need someone to look over my chapters correct their punctuation, grammar, and spelling then to tell me what they thought of it over all. I'd prefer someone experienced with Betaing because I'm quite new to fanfic.

PM me if you're interested.

send it over to me :D :D I'll do it. :D :D :cameron:

if yes, then send it to [email protected]

RepliCartertje
June 19th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Ok I also need a little help... wel it is more a question about fanfiction.net but I really don't know how I can solve it so... here goes...
wel if I made a summary but I made a mistake in it... now I corrected it but... it still is wrong on the summary when you want to read my story... How can I solve that?

SilverRider
June 19th, 2006, 03:01 PM
If you are seeing the worng summary on your profile page as well as the first page of ff.net, then you gotta wait at least 24 hrs before the changes could take place, but they can also get changed eariler if there is less traffic at the section of Stargate.

RepliCartertje
June 19th, 2006, 03:04 PM
If you are seeing the worng summary on your profile page as well as the first page of ff.net, then you gotta wait at least 24 hrs before the changes could take place, but they can also get changed eariler if there is less traffic at the section of Stargate.
ow ok but in my pagin where I log in and can edit the story... it is correct but not on the page where the people read the story but... I just will wait 24 hours and than look again
thanx anyway

SilverRider
June 19th, 2006, 03:07 PM
ow ok but in my pagin where I log in and can edit the story... it is correct but not on the page where the people read the story but... I just will wait 24 hours and than look again
thanx anyway

yea i know, but that's how ff.net works. *shrugs* their rules. :mckay:

But trust me it will take a while. I've been with the site since 2002. :jack:

RepliCartertje
June 19th, 2006, 03:46 PM
yea i know, but that's how ff.net works. *shrugs* their rules. :mckay:

But trust me it will take a while. I've been with the site since 2002. :jack:

looks likes it don't take that long... the problem is solved :D

SilverRider
June 19th, 2006, 03:51 PM
looks likes it don't take that long... the problem is solved :D

See I did say it will get changed :D :D

Dutch_Razor
January 5th, 2007, 01:41 PM
I'm wondering a few things for my next fic:

Is BSG set in this galaxy, or is it in another?

How long ago, in years, was the cylon attack on the colonies, +-?

Thx in advance!

TheNarims
January 5th, 2007, 03:22 PM
40 years have passed since the war against the Cylons. Caprica and the other eleven planets are in another galaxy.

BruTak
January 6th, 2007, 02:35 AM
40 years have passed since the war against the Cylons. Caprica and the other eleven planets are in another galaxy.

The only problem is, we still don't know if Battlestar Galactica takes place in our past, present, or future?

Dutch_Razor
January 6th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Thx, that comes in handy with a time travel story as well :)

Though I actually meant the extermination of the colonies though srry, would it be a bit before "Revelations (05e22 I tink)", if BSG would be set in the present?

Hmz the "other galaxy" is a bit of a problem, I gotta fix something up for that.

Can only blame ascended beings for so much :P

TheNarims
January 6th, 2007, 10:31 AM
I think that Battlestar Galactica takes place in the present, because in the third BSG movie they arrived at the present earth. But I am not sure if it takes place before "Revelations" or not.

Dutch_Razor
January 7th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Okido thx, well since there is no evidence to contradict is as of yet I'll just go by it :)

jesserella
January 7th, 2007, 09:07 AM
I need a Beta reader, does anyone know how to get one?

Dutch_Razor
January 7th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Look 7 topics down ;)

jesserella
January 7th, 2007, 10:00 AM
thankyou :o

BruTak
January 9th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Thx, that comes in handy with a time travel story as well :)

Though I actually meant the extermination of the colonies though srry, would it be a bit before "Revelations (05e22 I tink)", if BSG would be set in the present?

Hmz the "other galaxy" is a bit of a problem, I gotta fix something up for that.

Can only blame ascended beings for so much :P

It might be quite fun to have Galactica and the rag-tag fleet show up at Earth during the middle of WWII.:cameron:

Medie13
July 27th, 2007, 11:09 AM
ok i am working on a fic in atlantis universe. it was supposed to be just a really quick little thing but it has taken over my writing life (i rarely write fanfic cuz i have my own stuff i work on)...anyway the reason i am here. i'm having an issue with why they are on the planet. no i don't have sheppard's team. its lorne's (i made up a team for him--which was half the fun). anyway they have been sent by weir and sheppard to another planet with instructions to check out ruins that were found about 6 months prior. it is suspected that there is a weapon there that will help in the fight against the wraith.

i'm bad with science (well i mean i can get the general idea) but i have no idea what type of weapon they would be looking for or find. i'd like some ideas or suggestions. also one of the things that is going to happen is one of the teammates can read some ancient and he is going to touch something that will cause a problem...so i'd like some help with that too. if you need more info, i'd be happy to provide more or whatever. you can email me at [email protected] or pm me.

thanks for the help! medie

John's PuddleJumper
August 13th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Hi

I have 3 fanfic's plz could I have someone to read them to check them!! Any help would be great, experienced plz as it is my first work.

Thanks

Mickey23
August 15th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I apologize if this is the wrong thread, but I wasn't sure where to go...

I've been reading Stargate ff for a while, and am familiar with the relationship designations (het, slash) and genres (humor, angst, etc).
But what in the world is crackfic? (or should I be too afraid to ask this?) :danielanime13:

reven
September 6th, 2007, 02:15 AM
HELP!!!!!!!!

i need writeres for a cartoon i want to animate about stargate atlantis. a team thats not the main team, i want to make it into a small season like 5 mabye 10 mins per episode (not inc titles and that) and have 20 episodes a season.

if your intrested in helping go onto the thread
http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=46748

thanks

Jersey13
September 6th, 2007, 06:27 AM
But what in the world is crackfic? (or should I be too afraid to ask this?) :danielanime13:

Crackfic is basically just fic on crack, meaning, it's silly, outlandish, and probably totally out of character, but was really fun to write and meant to be fun to read.

Skydiver
September 6th, 2007, 06:46 AM
yeah, crack!fic is fic that's deliberately OTT.

like a slash jack/daniel fic where jack is 'mister harlequin romance' and daniel is 'mister simpering cliched gay guy'

or romance fic where sam is, well ripped from the pages of a smut fic

or where teal'c never talks...but gets hit a lot, and everyone enjoys him getting hit

you write it for fun and you kinda mock teh cliches by having fun with the cliches.

the hardest part about a crackfic is to not be mean. have fun with the cliche but don't be cruel with it

magickalmama
September 6th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I'm not sure where to post this... so I thought I'd try here. I've got a Puddle Jumper question for a fic I'm writing. Do we know what powers them? Can they run out of power? Do they need to be recharged?

It's not too important. But, I thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

s09119
September 6th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I'm not sure where to post this... so I thought I'd try here. I've got a Puddle Jumper question for a fic I'm writing. Do we know what powers them? Can they run out of power? Do they need to be recharged?

It's not too important. But, I thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

All we know is:

- They have an internal power source that's pretty powerful.
- If it's hit by a powerful blast (like a staff blast) it could explode.
- Jumpers have never run out of power, nor do we know if they need to be recharged.

Skydiver
September 6th, 2007, 05:47 PM
i would say...what the show would do if they needed a pj to run out of power, it would.

so...find a convenient radiation source that flummoxes the power source, making it die if that's what your fic needs :)

there's no canon, thus the writers of the show will create it to serve thier puposes, so you can do the same :)

Caldwell's 2IC
September 7th, 2007, 09:34 AM
I have checked out several times the fanfic uploader of the Forum, but it is always "currently offline for repairs" So, where do you guys upload your new stories now ???? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Illyrian
September 10th, 2007, 01:04 AM
I'm brand new to this site, I am planning to do a bit of fanfic, then I read there's somewhere called GW Fic Criterea, how do I get there ?. As if my idea doesn't fit the criterea I needn't waste my time. It was also stated about putting fan fic's in GW archive, where is that ?

Alipeeps
September 10th, 2007, 03:24 AM
I have checked out several times the fanfic uploader of the Forum, but it is always "currently offline for repairs" So, where do you guys upload your new stories now ???? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I'm brand new to this site, I am planning to do a bit of fanfic, then I read there's somewhere called GW Fic Criterea, how do I get there ?. As if my idea doesn't fit the criterea I needn't waste my time. It was also stated about putting fan fic's in GW archive, where is that ?

The fic criteria would probably apply to fic loaded up to the GW archive. However, that's no longer really relevant as the GW fanfic loader isn't working, hasn't been for a long while and probably won't be for a long while further. The problem with it isn't a quick and easy fix so it's kind of indefinitely on hold for the moment I think.

What people tend to do with fanfic they want to share on GW is upload their stories to an external website - e.g. FanFiction.net (http://www.fanfiction.net/), Wraithbait (http://www.wraithbait.com/) or their own LiveJournal (http://www.livejournal.com/) etc - and then post a link to it on GW.. either in this forum or on a relevant thread (e.g. Shep Whump thread if it's a Shep whump fic, Shweir thread if it's a Shweir ship fic etc).

Skydiver
September 10th, 2007, 09:36 AM
yeah, our uploader has been down for a year now and....everytime i harrass teh boys i get a 'we're working on it' so....the above mentined archived, plus samandjackalways and Heliopolis are two places. there's also Jackfic for jack centric fic

magickalmama
September 10th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the answers about the puddlejumpers, it's appreciated! Also... I've not seen all of season three, and I had a question about The Return. I guess technically a spoiler for season three...
Do we ever get to find out which SG team that Sheppard was leading? And do we know about how long he was on Earth working at the SGC?

Thanks again!

Illyrian
September 10th, 2007, 07:34 PM
As previously posted I am currently writing a bit of fanfic. So I asked where to put it.Alipeeps said to put it to fanfiction . net or Wraithbait, then to the thread suitable, do you have a list of threads ?.
The ones stated Shep wump or shweir are totally unsuitable as the fanfic isn't about relationships more of the link between the Asgaard the humans and another alien race, also there are the Ancients on earth and that link.

Alipeeps
September 11th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the answers about the puddlejumpers, it's appreciated! Also... I've not seen all of season three, and I had a question about The Return. I guess technically a spoiler for season three...
Do we ever get to find out which SG team that Sheppard was leading? And do we know about how long he was on Earth working at the SGC?

Thanks again!

I don't think we ever find out the particular designation of Sheppard's gate team - i.e. what team number they are - but the episode does mention that it's been 6 weeks since the team have been back on Earth.

As previously posted I am currently writing a bit of fanfic. So I asked where to put it.Alipeeps said to put it to fanfiction . net or Wraithbait, then to the thread suitable, do you have a list of threads ?.
The ones stated Shep wump or shweir are totally unsuitable as the fanfic isn't about relationships more of the link between the Asgaard the humans and another alien race, also there are the Ancients on earth and that link.

What I said was, upload your fic to fanfiction.net or other website and then post a link to it either in here - in the fanfic forum - and/or in whatever other thread on GW you think might be relevant (the ones I gave were merely examples...) depending on what your fic is about. Obviously if the fic features an aspect of the show (e.g. whump or relationships) that already has a discussion thread on GW, then people in that thread might be interested to read such a fic. If your story is more general and you don't think is relevant to any specific discussion threadon GW, then just post a link to it in the fanfic forum - you will find that there is a thread in here called "Promote your fic here!" where you can post a link to your story and ask for feedback.

Arwen Undomiel
October 8th, 2007, 07:04 AM
So...there's a fanfiction one of my friend write. It's really huge now, she started it in 2005, and now it's novel sized. She's writing it into a trilogy now. I'm currently correcting the first 100 hundred episode (817 pages in word), and we were thinking about translating it into english. Can I make a thread for it? I'm making the first episode now, and I would post the episodes when they finished translated and reviewed by her. The story in derived from Atlantis, but mixed with created ancient and human characters and crossover with SG-1. It's really goes off from the real series after a while, she made many changes, so I don't know if anybody would like it.

Platschu
October 8th, 2007, 11:52 AM
I will like it. :D Ooops, I've read some chapters in Hungarian. ;)

Arwen Undomiel
October 8th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Khmm. You should read it in hungarian, the english version will be for foreigners. :p By the way, how many chapters have you read already?

Platschu
October 8th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Four or five out of 105. :o

I can say only good thing about Nefadar's fan fiction. She has a very unique fantasy, so she re-created the whole SG universe and added new races, events etc. You should read it, when it will be available in English. :)

Arwen Undomiel
October 8th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Oh, I see, you're waiting for my corrections, right? :D Really though, I'm not sure I can make a thread for it, but since the fanfic uploader doesn't work...

Skydiver
October 8th, 2007, 03:37 PM
don't post it here please. It's nt that we dont' want to read it, but this forum was never meant to archive fic.

Darren is working on fixing the uploader, but for the time being, i'd suggest someplace like www.fanfiction.net for your fic. You can then post a link to it here and let people know when it's been updated

Arwen Undomiel
October 9th, 2007, 07:43 AM
I don't really understand what do you mean by archiving it, cos obviously I will have it on my computer too, not just in the net, of course. And I also don't know the american kind of rating, how it works( you know, I mean PG, and this kind of stuff...), and don't want to break any rules. It's not bloody, or have a lot of sex in it, just as much as would be in the tv show I think. How can I find an explanation for ratings?

Skydiver
October 9th, 2007, 07:53 AM
i think www.tvratings.org works. I'll check the link in a minute. From the sound of things, your fic is likely PG-13, suitable for folks over 13.

as to archiving it, at fanfic.net, you upload the fic to thier servers and then people can access it from there.
they also have an explanation of the rating system they use and what each one means.

when you archive fic, you still keep a copy on your computer, but you're just uploading a copy somewhere public, kinda like you'd be doing by posting it here, but it'd be posted in story format, not as a forum post.

Arwen Undomiel
October 9th, 2007, 09:14 AM
i think www.tvratings.org works. I'll check the link in a minute. From the sound of things, your fic is likely PG-13, suitable for folks over 13.
The site doesn't load for me. :( But I think I can upload it on fanfic according to your rating. By the way, I have to emphasise that it's not my fic, I'm just correcting and translating it.

when you archive fic, you still keep a copy on your computer, but you're just uploading a copy somewhere public, kinda like you'd be doing by posting it here, but it'd be posted in story format, not as a forum post.

Ok, I do it that way. Just you know, Nefadar(the writer) posted it on our forum, and it seemed the normal way.

Skydiver
October 9th, 2007, 01:38 PM
this link should work
http://www.tvguidelines.org/ratings.asp

In any case, darren has never wanted fic posted in this part of the forum, he wants people to use the archive. But i've been allowing it since our downloader has been broken for quite a while

As soon as they can get it fixed and running - and no promise when this'll be - i'll start closing folks' fic threads and get them to post their stuff to the GW archive

Arwen Undomiel
October 9th, 2007, 02:25 PM
this link should work
http://www.tvguidelines.org/ratings.asp

Thanks, this works finally. :)

Pranksta
December 4th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Hey I was just wondering what do we know about Sheppard's childhood, his family, parents.

And how old was Ford?

Thanks

ReganX
December 4th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Hey I was just wondering what do we know about Sheppard's childhood, his family, parents.

And how old was Ford?

Thanks

He was twenty-five in Season One.

Pranksta
December 4th, 2007, 02:08 PM
OK thanks

Another question: Do we know who's in Major Lorne's team?

And does major Lorne read Ancient? Or recognise a writing as Ancient but not able to read it? And can mcKay read Ancient?

DanielleG
January 1st, 2008, 12:40 PM
When did Atlantis get in contact with earth again? (I want to write a fan fiction but have a few questions). Are they still in contact with Earth? (I only begun watching season 1 so I just watch underground so I am not quite caught up)

Marie C.
January 2nd, 2008, 07:52 AM
When did Atlantis get in contact with earth again? (I want to write a fan fiction but have a few questions). Are they still in contact with Earth? (I only begun watching season 1 so I just watch underground so I am not quite caught up)

*bangs head on wall* dang! i had the answer right at the top of my mind and i just lost it again!!!! sorry, however, my friend has season 1, so i'll ask her and get back to you on that! welcome to the forums, btw!!

Marie C.
January 2nd, 2008, 07:55 AM
Oh... I had one more question about this fanfic i'm writing. It's an Atlantis one and it's around the end of season three. Did Ronon have any family? If he did, how would he react, do you think, if he encountered say...his younger sister on some off-world mission? It's just a thought i had and i'm wondering what everyone thinks of it. thanks!

Crazy Tom
January 3rd, 2008, 06:47 AM
Oh... I had one more question about this fanfic i'm writing. It's an Atlantis one and it's around the end of season three. Did Ronon have any family? If he did, how would he react, do you think, if he encountered say...his younger sister on some off-world mission? It's just a thought i had and i'm wondering what everyone thinks of it. thanks!

they did "reunion" in season 4, other than that only his wife was mentioned in "sateda".

Alipeeps
January 3rd, 2008, 08:02 AM

They got back in touch with Earth at the end of Season 1 and stayed in contact from then on until the end of Season 3/beginning of Season 4 when they were briefly out of contact again.

they did "reunion" in season 4, other than that only his wife was mentioned in "sateda".

She wasn't his wife, Ronon described her as "as good as" his wife in Sunday. So one can assume fiancée or long-term partner. Beyond that we have no idea of what family Ronon had - certainly in Sateda the only person we saw him concerned about/grieving for etc was girlfriend/fiancée, Melana. From Reunion we know that he is continuing to search for the other survivors of Sateda that he knows (from Letters from Pegasus) are out there in Pegasus.

Marie C.
January 3rd, 2008, 12:34 PM
She wasn't his wife, Ronon described her as "as good as" his wife in Sunday. So one can assume fiancée or long-term partner. Beyond that we have no idea of what family Ronon had - certainly in Sateda the only person we saw him concerned about/grieving for etc was girlfriend/fiancée, Melana. From Reunion we know that he is continuing to search for the other survivors of Sateda that he knows (from Letters from Pegasus) are out there in Pegasus.

Thanks for the info, Alipeeps and Crazy Tom! sadly, i haven't seen season four because i don't have cable! :( i have to wait until it comes out on DVD. thank you so much!

jetflair
March 4th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Writing my first Atlantis fanfic :) I have some John Sheppard backstory questions. I'm currently in the middle of season three, so I don't know all that might have been revealed about his life on earth.

We know he was a pilot, that he went in to rescue friends in Afghanistan, failed to save the life of the pilot he tried to save, and that he's got a black mark on his military record because of the record.

Do we know *anything* else about him, his family, his military service.....anything?

Also.....how tolerant is this fandom when it comes to canon mistakes? I will do my best to get canon right when it comes to Atlantis......but I haven't seen SG-1 and I get the sneaking feeling there is a lot of established cannon that crosses over which I have no clue about.

Alipeeps
March 6th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Writing my first Atlantis fanfic :) I have some John Sheppard backstory questions. I'm currently in the middle of season three, so I don't know all that might have been revealed about his life on earth.

We know he was a pilot, that he went in to rescue friends in Afghanistan, failed to save the life of the pilot he tried to save, and that he's got a black mark on his military record because of the record.

Do we know *anything* else about him, his family, his military service.....anything?

Also.....how tolerant is this fandom when it comes to canon mistakes? I will do my best to get canon right when it comes to Atlantis......but I haven't seen SG-1 and I get the sneaking feeling there is a lot of established cannon that crosses over which I have no clue about.

We don't know a huge amount more than what you've said... and what we do know was revealed in Sunday (Season 3) and Outcast (Season 4):

Spoilers for Outcast:
He was married (we don't know for how long) to a woman named Nancy. She works for Homeland Security. At the time of Outcast (Season 4) she hadn't seen him/heard from him in over 4 years. He has a brother, Dave, and his family are wealthy - his dad was an industrialist. He had fallen out with his dad some time ago, we don't know how long exactly, and he left and hasn't been in contact since, assuming that's what his dad wanted. His brother Dave stayed behind and ran the family business and looked after their father in his later years. His father died without them ever reconciling but, according to Dave, he regretted what happened between he and John. John told Ronon his dad had had his whole life planned out for him from the age of about 14 and it was clear he found this stifling - the implication being that part of what he and his dad fell out over is John not doing what dad wanted (running the family business?) and going off and doing his own thing (joining the Air Force?). It was also strongly implied by both Dave and Nancy that John was involved in Special Ops stuff -- not being able to talk about his work and taking calls in the middle of the night and upping and leaving for a mission etc.

And that's about it. :) Hope that helps.

jetflair
March 7th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Thank you so much! That does help :)

Pranksta
March 9th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Hey, I didn't know where else to put this so yeah, anyway.
I'm looking for a story on Fanfiction.net. McKay's packing up Sheppards stuff and he keeps flashing back to when Sheppards team was caught by the Genii (i think) and Sheppard traded himself in to save his team. It's a really good story and I'd like to find it. If anyone knows it please please tell me. Thanks. :D

Alipeeps
March 11th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Hey, I didn't know where else to put this so yeah, anyway.
I'm looking for a story on Fanfiction.net. McKay's packing up Sheppards stuff and he keeps flashing back to when Sheppards team was caught by the Genii (i think) and Sheppard traded himself in to save his team. It's a really good story and I'd like to find it. If anyone knows it please please tell me. Thanks. :D

Oooh gosh. I remember that one. Ummm... I'm pretty sure it was by one of the folks who posts fic to the Sheppard H/C LJ comm (http://community.livejournal.com/sheppard_hc/)...

Maybe Sholio or Kodiak Bear Country on ffnet? Or Titan5? Someone like that...

genhoss
March 15th, 2008, 02:22 AM
I'm considering writing my second sg1 fanfic but i had a few questions that i couldn't find the answers to on stargate wiki or whatever its called.

in season seven how old is Cassie. and is Lt Hailey still a cadet.

thanks

Skydiver
March 15th, 2008, 05:17 PM
cassie was about 12 in season one, so she'd be about 18 in season 7

hailey wouldn't still be a cadet. the academy is a 4 year school, so i think she'd be graduated by season seven. I had the idea that she was a junior or senior in season four. so she'd be a first lieutenant somewhere

Madders_Ahatter
March 24th, 2008, 10:27 AM
lol, yes he is whumpable

I'm new to this site, but so glad I started trawling through old threads.
I wish I'd known the above group existed years ago, when I first started 'whumping' (love that btw) Sam Beckett from Quantum Leap!

Oh and for the records, in WW2, they used the juice of young coconuts as a substitute for blood plasma, with life saving results. I found that researching a QL fanfic I wrote some time ago.

On a related note, can anyone tell me if Stargate ever established blood types for the SG1 team?
Specifically, could Samantha Carter donate blood to Jack O'Neill, or are their blood groups incompatible?

Polybius
March 26th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Ignore, problem solved.

Skydiver
March 31st, 2008, 04:31 AM
to the best of my knowledge, no

i seem to recall amanda bringing one of sam's dogtags to gatecon and auctioning it off and she said sam's blood type was A+, but nothing on the others

sam never donated blood to any of them. there was the whole legacy thing where her blood kicked out machello's slugs but they'd taken the blood part out (as in the red blood cells) and injected all the proteins that were left over

RodneyIsGodney
April 6th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Can someone please tell me exactly what a Marysue is? I've seen this term on/in fics before but I'm not quite sure what it means. I have only the smallest of inklings and I would like to know if I'm close.

Thanx to anyone who can help.

John's PuddleJumper
April 7th, 2008, 01:25 AM
may I direct you to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

hopefully this explains it for you

RodneyIsGodney
April 7th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Yeah, didn't help. Too many words, got confusing.:S I was hoping for a simple explination. You know, one that I could actually understand. I'm just not that smart I guess.:o Thanx for the help/link anyway JP.

Anyone else wanna give it a shot?

Pandora's_Box
April 7th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Essentially, a Mary Sue is a character that is too good to be true. Too perfect.

Is either too smart, or too well-versed in all forms of martial arts, speaks too many languages, etc... and none of these character traits can be reasonably justified.

Even calling this person a genius as a means of justification would be unbelievable because they are just too good at anything they do.

Additionally, usually these types of characters are very brave, kind, etc... thus making almost without flaw.

In essence, this is a character that even the normal supension of disbelief that we sci-fi have become accustomed to wouldn't suffice to make the character acceptable.

Hope that helps.

RodneyIsGodney
April 7th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Thank you!:)

Traveler Enroute1
July 14th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Obscure question, but I wanted to see if anyone knew this before I put it in print:

Has there been a human female with the Ancient's gene, in canon? I know of Jack, Sheppard, Lorne and those men on Atlantis that Kolya captured all had the gene. Adria, I assume, doesn't count!

Just sayin', I could probably get around it by saying the character "might be the only known female" or "one of a handful" to have the gene. The character is prominent and the info effects the storyline. Thanks!

Alipeeps
July 15th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Obscure question, but I wanted to see if anyone knew this before I put it in print:

Has there been a human female with the Ancient's gene, in canon? I know of Jack, Sheppard, Lorne and those men on Atlantis that Kolya captured all had the gene. Adria, I assume, doesn't count!

Just sayin', I could probably get around it by saying the character "might be the only known female" or "one of a handful" to have the gene. The character is prominent and the info effects the storyline. Thanks!

Not a named character that I recall but in Season 4's Adrift, when Sheppard gathers together all the remaining gene carriers in the city to pilot the jumpers, at least a couple of them are female. So I don't think the occurence of the gene is necessarily rarer in women than men, it's just that we haven't yet had a named female character who's been specifically mentioned as having the gene (probably because there are less Earth women characters in the cast than there are men).

John's PuddleJumper
July 15th, 2008, 02:39 AM

I haven't heard of any women having the gene, so can't help. All I know is I have written 2 sotries in which my OC who are female, who have the gene, one native to Pegasus the other native to Milkly way.

Whilst I'm here, Does anyone do or know of a beta, mine normal one is very busy and there are a few pages left of one of my stories!

Thank you!

Skydiver
July 15th, 2008, 04:23 AM

there has been no canon female carrying the gene

Alipeeps
July 15th, 2008, 05:17 AM

Yes there has - see my answer above regarding Season 4's Adrift. Not named characters but they had women flying jumpers.

Traveler Enroute1
July 15th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Not a named character that I recall but in Season 4's Adrift, when Sheppard gathers together all the remaining gene carriers in the city to pilot the jumpers, at least a couple of them are female. So I don't think the occurence of the gene is necessarily rarer in women than men, it's just that we haven't yet had a named female character who's been specifically mentioned as having the gene (probably because there are less Earth women characters in the cast than there are men).

I haven't heard of any women having the gene, so can't help. All I know is I have written 2 sotries in which my OC who are female, who have the gene, one native to Pegasus the other native to Milkly way.

<<snippy-zippy>>
Thank you!

Yes there has - see my answer above regarding Season 4's Adrift. Not named characters but they had women flying jumpers.

Wow, thanks for the responses. Alipeeps I know the ep you mentioned, but it's not clear if these were gene-therapy recipients like their male counterparts of not; even Rodney pilots a jumper now. But thanks for reminding me of it; I'll do a recon and see what may help there.

Just sayin', I appreciate the answers and thank you one and all!

Alipeeps
July 15th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Wow, thanks for the responses. Alipeeps I know the ep you mentioned, but it's not clear if these were gene-therapy recipients like their male counterparts of not; even Rodney pilots a jumper now. But thanks for reminding me of it; I'll do a recon and see what may help there.

Just sayin', I appreciate the answers and thank you one and all!

Ah well, you didn't specify that you were asking about natural gene carriers. ;) Other than Carson, Rodney and Sheppard, we don't know the natural/artificial gene status of any of the gene carriers.

Skydiver
July 15th, 2008, 06:42 AM
in other words...there were females amongst the extras cast to play jumper pilots, so you can interpret it as there being females that carry it, but there is no specific 'it is distributed across gender lines' comment...so do whatever you want with it :)

Traveler Enroute1
July 15th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Ah well, you didn't specify that you were asking about natural gene carriers. ;) Other than Carson, Rodney and Sheppard, we don't know the natural/artificial gene status of any of the gene carriers.

That is true.

in other words...there were females amongst the extras cast to play jumper pilots, so you can interpret it as there being females that carry it, but there is no specific 'it is distributed across gender lines' comment...so do whatever you want with it :)

Just sayin', thanks again; your responses were really helpful. I know how I want to deal with it now. :)

whiskeygirl406
July 17th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Dr Miko Kusanagi is the only ATA-gene carrying woman that I can think of that was actually named and she's an easy one to miss. She's only been spoken of once and seen once ("Letters from Pegasus"). She's named in the ep where Rodney's working on something in the Chair Room and picked Carson to help him, but Carson gets called away to the Infirmary. As he leaves, Rodney tells Radek to go get Miko. (Of course, Rodney doesn't actually know her name, he just starts describing her and Radek understands who he means.)

Of course, you could always name an extra and make her your main character. (Would that count as making a Mary Sue?)

Traveler Enroute1
July 17th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Dr Miko Kusanagi is the only ATA-gene carrying woman that I can think of that was actually named and she's an easy one to miss. She's only been spoken of once and seen once ("Letters from Pegasus"). She's named in the ep where Rodney's working on something in the Chair Room and picked Carson to help him, but Carson gets called away to the Infirmary. As he leaves, Rodney tells Radek to go get Miko. (Of course, Rodney doesn't actually know her name, he just starts describing her and Radek understands who he means.)

Of course, you could always name an extra and make her your main character. (Would that count as making a Mary Sue?)

Wow, that's good lookin' out, whiskeygirl406! Thanks much!

Just sayin', can't comment on the Mary-Sue stuff; this is all I needed. So, much obliged!

Womble
July 17th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Mary Sues don't exist. There are only well-written characters and badly written ones. Don't ever hesitate to create an original character.

Traveler Enroute1
July 17th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Mary Sues don't exist. There are only well-written characters and badly written ones. Don't ever hesitate to create an original character.

Just sayin', hear, hear! :)

whiskeygirl406
July 18th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the reassurance, Traveler & Womble! I've been window-shopping at the Plot Bunny Pet Shoppe, but was afraid to introduce a new name (<gasp!> Heaven forbid!) into the mix. I was really afraid of getting flamed for making an OC and having them interact with the main cast. ("Oh, a low-level lab assistant talking to Maj Lorne? That'd never happen!") Isn't it strange to think that, out of the nearly 300 people living in the city, the main 5 or 6 people are only supposed to be friendly with just each other? That'd make for a pretty lonely time out there, I think.

Thanks again, guys! Time to buy a cage & some carrot cake! (Well, ya gotta feed the Bunny!) :D

Womble
July 18th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the reassurance, Traveler & Womble! I've been window-shopping at the Plot Bunny Pet Shoppe, but was afraid to introduce a new name (<gasp!> Heaven forbid!) into the mix. I was really afraid of getting flamed for making an OC and having them interact with the main cast.
See, this is why I loathe the whole Mary Sue stigma- it discourages people from writing.

Mr Prophet
July 18th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the reassurance, Traveler & Womble! I've been window-shopping at the Plot Bunny Pet Shoppe, but was afraid to introduce a new name (<gasp!> Heaven forbid!) into the mix. I was really afraid of getting flamed for making an OC and having them interact with the main cast. ("Oh, a low-level lab assistant talking to Maj Lorne? That'd never happen!") Isn't it strange to think that, out of the nearly 300 people living in the city, the main 5 or 6 people are only supposed to be friendly with just each other? That'd make for a pretty lonely time out there, I think.

Just make sure that you introduce the character properly. Don't throw them in and suddenly make them everyone's best friend, because that would grate if it happened in the show. Show, rather than tell, why they're friends with the canon characters that they are friends with, don't have everyone love them unquestioningly, and don't make them Xer than Y (smarter than Rodney, stronger than Ronan, more annoyingly arrogant than Sheppard) and you'll be steering clear of the main MS traps.

Do, however, consider things like military and professional protocol. A low-level lab assistant would not in the normal run of things be expected to fraternise with a senior combat officer. Differences in rank - and civilians working with the military all have a notional rank, although the rules are less strict with them - will dictate what is deemed proper. In general, a lab assistant would be expected to go through their supervisor when addressing professional concerns to Major Lorne, although your character might get to know Lorne more personally after blurting something out or being the only one there during one of Atlantis's many crisis situations.

scifithinker
July 20th, 2008, 09:19 AM

OCs aren't a bad thing in and of themselves. The problem is that too often authors fail to give a logical reason for them to be there or has them act in a way that isn't consistent with the behavior of the established characters. So if you want Major Lorne to talk to a low level lab assistant, go ahead as long as you're willing to do it well. :)

Bucky
July 25th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Could anyone help me find Fairygnomes's site. The link I have no longer works, and the only link that turns up on google is to an LJ. Is she still writing? Are her Stargate fics still available?

Bucky

Skydiver
July 25th, 2008, 12:51 PM
google the Sam and Jack always site or look on Heliopolis (the old part)

Fairygnomes is no longer writing. Ruthie passed away a month ago which is possibly why her site is down.

Bucky
July 26th, 2008, 06:32 AM
^^Thank you for that news, sad though it is.

Bucky

Skydiver
July 26th, 2008, 09:29 AM
it is very sad. She passed away suddenly, she was ill and didn't realize that she was even that seriously sick.

Replicator Fifth
August 2nd, 2008, 08:42 PM
mhm, there's a lot of mountains and a couple of deserts between san diego and colorado

i don't know any off the top of my head, but maybe in the sierra nevadas (i think that's south enough in california)
or maybe in utah

anyone live in the south west?

:sheppardanime32: Oh, gods!!! your kidding right?! if you aren't sure consult a map . I shouldn't fuss, many people don't even know New Mexico is a state.

Everlovin
August 22nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
Hi everyone! I'm working on a crossover fic, and I need to know what the Class A uniform for the Navy is called. Officially that is. I know they're referred to as Ice Cream suits, but that's not what I'm looking for.

immhotep
August 22nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
Hey im searching for a VS, it was to do with the ninth cheveron and they ended up on this space station type thing..but i cant remember what i was. any ideas?

Jersey13
August 26th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Hey im searching for a VS, it was to do with the ninth cheveron and they ended up on this space station type thing..but i cant remember what i was. any ideas?

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, it's not a fanfic... It's Stargate: Universe, due to go up before cameras next year. They supposedly end up on a ship that has been seeding the galaxy with Stargates.

idlewild202
August 26th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Hey im searching for a VS, it was to do with the ninth cheveron and they ended up on this space station type thing..but i cant remember what i was. any ideas?Could it be that you are talking about the virtual series, Stargate: Horizon? I can't recall if they used the ninth chevron... but they did end up on a space station, at least in the beginning. I never made it past the first few episodes, and it's been awhile at that.

Womble
August 26th, 2008, 01:07 PM
A question for Stargate know-it-alls: was the first name of Sutterfield ("Proving Ground", played by Grace Park) ever mentioned?

immhotep
August 26th, 2008, 01:43 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0709150/fullcredits#cast

He had no name, just Lt.

oh and i wasnt refering to SGU, i thought SGU had bits of various SG VS's mixed in, Horizon, Destiny etc...but thought there was one about 9th cheveron and some kind of ancient space station.

Skydiver
August 26th, 2008, 04:21 PM
it's Lt Satterfield and she doesn't have a canon first name (although her 'twin' sister on BSG certainly has enough names for both of them ;) )

Womble
August 29th, 2008, 11:45 AM
it's Lt Satterfield and she doesn't have a canon first name (although her 'twin' sister on BSG certainly has enough names for both of them ;) )
Indeed.

Thanks, both of you. :)

leiasky
October 17th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Hi folks, I'm working on a long story and have a few questions . . . Who at the SGC (or on earth, for that matter) has the ATA gene naturally? Jack does, is there anyone else that was mentioned? Was anyone on earth given Beckett's gene therapy besides the Atlantis crew?

I haven't seen much of SGA this year but I heard the Asgard made an appearance, yes? Can anyone give me any info on where they came from? Did the planet/colony have a name?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Skydiver
October 17th, 2008, 07:56 AM
i think there's been no canon mention of who's got the gene, but my money would be on, once beckett found the gene, any member of the SGC being offered the opportunity to take the therapy, thus anyone can have it that you want to have it...and i doubt the show's canon will ever get around to contradicting you

as to the asgard, check out the story info for 'first contact' and 'lost tribe'

they'll fill you in on what info has been given about them

sbz
October 17th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Hi folks, I'm working on a long story and have a few questions . . . Who at the SGC (or on earth, for that matter) has the ATA gene naturally? Jack does, is there anyone else that was mentioned? Was anyone on earth given Beckett's gene therapy besides the Atlantis crew?

Pretty sure O'Neill, Sheppard, and Beckett were the only people we ever saw who carry the gene naturally.

Bucky
October 18th, 2008, 04:05 AM

Pretty sure O'Neill, Sheppard, and Beckett were the only people we ever saw who carry the gene naturally.

And Joe, from "Citizen Joe." So, apparently the gene is rare on earth as well as the Pegasus galaxy, but out there.

For your second question: it seems unlikely to me that the ATA gene therapy would be offered to anyone who wasn't scheduled to be shipped to Atlantis.

As for your question about the Asgard in "First Contact," Far from the "buddies" we've come to expect from them in "SG-1," they were only interested in the survival of their own race. Not at all nice, uh, people..

Bucky

leiasky
October 18th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Thank for the info, guys. Was it ever mentioned if Hammond had a son or a daughter? I know he had grand daughters.

Skydiver
October 18th, 2008, 12:15 PM
no, never said if his child was his only child or if there were more, just that he has two granddaughters, kayla and tessa

Infinite-Possibilities
February 19th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Could you guys assist in clarifying something for me? I'm planning to write a fan-fic shortly and I was unclear on what exactly qualifies for it to be tagged as something?

What I mean is: say if it's set after Eatg and intended to be similar to the show itself, that would mean that McKay and Keller are in the story and are together, but if their relationship won't be going to be focal to the story much at all, Would the story be tagged as "McKeller"?

Hypothetical for example, If Sheppard spends time acknowledging he has/had feelings for Teyla and/or Weir (or whoever) but since Teyla's with Kanaan and Weir is "gone" nothing really comes of it, does that count as either as being a "Sparky" or "Sheyla" tag?

If romance is involved as a sub-plot but not the main one, is that "shipper" fiction?

Is there any definitive guidelines for this? I've never done this before. :p

Jper
February 19th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Could you guys assist in clarifying something for me? I'm planning to write a fan-fic shortly and I was unclear on what exactly qualifies for it to be tagged as something?

What I mean is: say if it's set after Eatg and intended to be similar to the show itself, that would mean that McKay and Keller are in the story and are together, but if their relationship won't be going to be focal to the story much at all, Would the story be tagged as "McKeller"?

Hypothetical for example, If Sheppard spends time acknowledging he has/had feelings for Teyla and/or Weir (or whoever) but since Teyla's with Kanaan and Weir is "gone" nothing really comes of it, does that count as either as being a "Sparky" or "Sheyla" tag?

If romance is involved as a sub-plot but not the main one, is that "shipper" fiction?

Personally, What I would do is add a little description as an intro at the beginning of your first chapter of your story where you like you have done here, explain what your focus points are and what specific elements you bring to the story.

I use FanFiction.Net to distribute my stories and some things you should realize when you use FFN:
(Just ignore it, if you already know this, you did not specify this in your question, so adding it anyway.)
1. You can only add two genres to your story let's say: SciFi and Drama for example. OR SciFi and Romance or Suspense and Adventure... and so and so... Your choice.
2. On the same note you can only add two character tags to your story. Let's say R. McKay and J. Sheppard (or Rodney M. and John S. like FFN would propose.)
3. You can only add a little/limited description/summary with which you need to establish important things like heavy focus on a pairing, spoilers and summary.
4. There are C2/Communities to which your story can be added. For example if it's heavily focused on McKay/Keller, I after reading it, could add your story to the McKeller C2, as I'm a Staff member there. There are other similar communities for other pairings and genres like Whump.

Look here's a story I'm currently writing (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4807691/) where I added a little note at the beginning about the characters/pairing/story elements/spoilers etc. etc.

EDIT/ I do mean the Author's notes not the prologue. That's another thing! There's a double horizontal line and title separating them!

Maybe that's a good example? You decide!

On another note:
1. You should distinguish between it being AU or AR (Alternate Universe or Alternate Reality) and it being the general lines of the established canon that you are following. However, seeing as EatG is the last episode, you can pretty much let everything turn out like you want it to. However this will become AU the moment the Atlantis movie comes out. If you're starting where TPTB left of, than this isn't so hard.... IF you're situating your story between two eps then if you want it to be not-AU you'll have to start where they left of and begin again where TPTB start up again. In general. Otherwise you should mark you story with: AU.
2. About pairings, only if you focus upon specific pairings you should add a warning in your summary, otherwise I'd solved this by describing it in the introduction like I've done in my story, see above.

Specific answers:

No it would not (EDIT/ sorry, my mistake) need to be tagged McKeller, but IMO you could add a little note in the beginning that you follow the established canon pairing set up by the TPTB. Then add you don't focus on it or if this is the case, that you don't mention it. OR you only just mention them being together and that's all. IMO this will earn you the respect of your readers/audience.

IMO, this depends on the relative percentage of your story goes on about this and how important you feel these elements are.
I would say if Sheppard hooks up with Teyla, or if he doesn't but you spend two chapters out of eight on it, you should mark it as Sheyla. Or a combination of these two. How important is it? To you and to the story. And how much 'screen time' does this get?
Same goes for Sparky. If you spend 2/8 on it, you should, IMO, mark it as Sparky. You can always add a note above the specific chapters. Anyway, just try to respect your audience I'd say.
If you stay true to what has happened in the show, this would not make it an AU. But, for exmaple, there's is no way for you to know if Kanaan/teyla are even together or stay together at the end of EatG.

How important is this subplot? How many other subplots are there? How important do you think it is? How much do you focus on this sub-plot... etc. Remember you can only have two main genres. You could just add as a note there are romance subplots for 'Sparky' and 'McKeller' for example.

On FFN there isn't a definitive guideline for this. Other sites may have them, though. I'm not sure. There are on FFN, however, guidelines for each C2.
Plus, there are definitions for the genres. Look them up!
IMO, the important thing is you show your respect for your audience by trying to point out the things you think are important. The most important things go first and next the lesser ones of course.

Hope this helps somehow, a little.
Please keep in my mind this is, of course, IMO always implied.

Jasper

EDIT/ I would however advise you to first write out your plot and everything and the first chapters or the first draft before starting with the tagging. As I know from personal experience getting sidetracked or adding subplots is a thing that happens often and easily.
You don't have to first think all these things over, not if you're not going to post the chapters right away. I, for example, wrote down the plot and basics for my current WiP, plus the first nine chapters before I published the first one. And even now I get sidetracked all the time.
Once you established main characters, paring, genre etc. you'll have to stay true to it, from the moment you first post your first part/chapter.

sbz
February 19th, 2009, 04:09 PM

Sparky? Seriously? Sparky! Ha! That's... that's... that's exactly why I hate all the weird names all the different pairings get. Sparky... *snerk*

Anyway, aside from my amusement, your question about tags. I guarantee that, with a few exceptions of things that definitely need to be noted (extreme violence/sex, language, non-con, and other such touchy subjects) you're going to get lots of different answers.

My philosophy is less is better. If people feel the need to be informed of every minute detail of what I write before they start reading well, tough. I personally hate reading through warnings that are longer than the first chapter and give away half the fic; that informs my decisions when I write up warnings for my work. The problem with tags is that it snowballs and the question becomes where do you stop. You could easily write a full page of tags and warnings and still miss something that someone thinks is important.

So, if your fic is all about getting character x and y together, as in primarily a romance, you're better off to put the relationship on it since people get bent out of shape about that kind of thing in Stargate. But if it's just a very minor subplot couched in action, adventure, angst, etc etc then I'd say don't bother. But other people will tell you that if the relationship is even mentioned in passing that you'd darn well better warn for it.

In the end every writer needs to decide for themselves what tags are necessary and live with any backlash their chioces (or omissions) may lead to. If you don't want to risk ticking anyone off then by all means tag it to death.

Skydiver
February 19th, 2009, 05:07 PM
what i would do is....if you take the ship out of hte fic, is there still a fic left?

if you take the ship out and there's no story left, then it's a ship fic. But if you can take the ship out and there's plenty of story left and it doesn't drastically change....then the most it needs is a 'mention of.....' comment in the warnings/notes

mirwalker
February 24th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Hi all,

Quick Air Forceprotocol question, in the hopes someone knows or might have heard in some behind-the-scenes or con chat:

What are the chances and process for AF pilots to take friends or family members up for a jet joyride? (I'm guessing rare to nil given liability and likely demand, but just in case.)

Many thanks in advance!

mirwalker

TragicComedy
February 26th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Hi. I posted this question elsewhere but was directed here. (Sorry. Pretty new to the boards and didn't realize this was the go to place.)

I have an idea for a new type of ship for the Stargate universe (not the new show ;) )

It's smaller that the standard ships like Daedalus. The whole idea spawned from the addresses the SGC has in their dialing system that they could never get a lock on for one reason or another whether it be the people burying their gate or natural disaster...you get the idea.

I'd imagine that there would be a desire by some to look into these planets. After all, there could be a possibility that since burying their gate, the culture became technologically advanced and be of benefit to Earth.

I also don't see the SGC approving the large Daedalus class ships being sent on long excursions for these research missions.

So they made a smaller ship class model, housing one or two field teams and some generalized specialists in language and other scientific fields along with the small ship crew.

Now...the point. I'm more of an Aiden Ford than a John Sheppard in the cool names department. I would have never thought up puddle jumpers on my own.

So. Any other crazy cool people out there have an idea what a cool name would be for this vessel? I'm looking for either names for the ships in general or a specific name for one of this ship class.

Thanks in advance!

Oh! And some of the ideas already given that I liked - calling them scout class ships in general.

As for individual names of the ships, Jper suggested continuing the Greek mythology tradition and suggested Icarus (one of Daedalus's sons)

So I have two ideas spawning from that.

Name them all after nympths so they can be like the ladies of space. Some cool names I've come across are Kastalia, Thetis, and Aisa.

Or go along with Jper's idea and tweak it a bit. Have the commander of each scout class ship's direct C.O. be a commander of one of the larger ships. The scout ship's name could be directly related to the "mother ship" if you will. Like Icarus and Daedalus or Calypso for the Odyssey.

What do you think?
(And sorry I'm so long-winded!)

scifithinker
March 1st, 2009, 01:31 PM
Hi all,

Quick Air Forceprotocol question, in the hopes someone knows or might have heard in some behind-the-scenes or con chat:

What are the chances and process for AF pilots to take friends or family members up for a jet joyride? (I'm guessing rare to nil given liability and likely demand, but just in case.)

Many thanks in advance!

mirwalker

My father, a Navy pilot, was allowed to take his children onto an aircraft carrier and onto various airplanes as part of special programs designed by the service. Once we were able to walk into an aircraft hanger when we were picking up Dad from a mission he flew in from the carrier when his squadron was still deployed on it. His was the only craft involved, so there wasn't any sort of homecoming. (At least, that's what I remember.)

We also got to see some planes as part of community programs. There are times when part of the base opens up to civilians for air shows, concerts and festivals. I haven't been to one for years, though.

Skydiver
March 1st, 2009, 04:41 PM
and i know of a co-worker of mine whose son, who was at the end of his deployment, got to fly out to guam i think, meet the ship and ride the ship back

so they do some great outreach programs, not sure about a flight but i don't think it's impossible

John's PuddleJumper
March 2nd, 2009, 01:30 PM
Right I've decided I want to give me a fighting chance

I require a beta for my ff stories, some contain Lorne some contain Mitchell. DOes anyone want to help or know of a good beta?

Also ff stories on ff.net my lovely written stories that are crying out for reviews!

If you love Lorne at least give my stories a try, if you like them recommend them to a friend!

This is the link (http://www.fanfiction.net/~johnspuddlejumper)

Thanks

TragicComedy
March 9th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Hi. Any Vala writer's out there? If so, I could really use your help! I have a short little scene with Vala in my latest chapter but I'm really stuck on what she would say or do in it. I would really be eternally in your debt and give you much kudos for your contribution. Pleeeeease! (How can you refuse the pleeeease?)

Skydiver
March 9th, 2009, 09:12 AM
i've only written her a couple of times, but i'd be happy to brainstorm with you

you can e-mail me if you want

TragicComedy
March 9th, 2009, 11:13 AM
i've only written her a couple of times, but i'd be happy to brainstorm with you

you can e-mail me if you want

It seems just writing out what I needed help with cured the writer's block because in the PM I was sending you an idea came to me and I just finished writing the scene. So thanks! However indirectly you may have helped, the scene is FINALLY done thanks to your offer.

Cheers!

Skydiver
March 9th, 2009, 12:18 PM
cool, glad it worked :)

Infinite-Possibilities
March 11th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Hey could you guys answer something or me really quick? This is a general question I guess, but what would be the difference for a fan-fic between something rated PG and something rated PG-13? It seems kind of ambiguous for all other definitions I can find. I also have a couple of movies of each, but I cannot think of any specific differences between them that would apply directly to a Stargate story.

Skydiver
March 12th, 2009, 04:01 AM
it's often suggested that you use the guidelines for movies
http://www.filmratings.com/

generally I'd say....pg has no language, no violence while PG-13 might have a couple of swear words and maybe someone getting short or something like that