This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whiskeygirl406 View Post
    Of course, you could always name an extra and make her your main character. (Would that count as making a Mary Sue?)
    Mary Sues don't exist. There are only well-written characters and badly written ones. Don't ever hesitate to create an original character.
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
      Mary Sues don't exist. There are only well-written characters and badly written ones. Don't ever hesitate to create an original character.
      Just sayin', hear, hear!
      MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
      sigpic
      Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Thanks for the reassurance, Traveler & Womble! I've been window-shopping at the Plot Bunny Pet Shoppe, but was afraid to introduce a new name (<gasp!> Heaven forbid!) into the mix. I was really afraid of getting flamed for making an OC and having them interact with the main cast. ("Oh, a low-level lab assistant talking to Maj Lorne? That'd never happen!") Isn't it strange to think that, out of the nearly 300 people living in the city, the main 5 or 6 people are only supposed to be friendly with just each other? That'd make for a pretty lonely time out there, I think.

Thanks again, guys! Time to buy a cage & some carrot cake! (Well, ya gotta feed the Bunny!)
        Last edited by whiskeygirl406; 18 July 2008, 11:47 AM.
        : How much time do you need?
        : ...a week... : ...a couple of hours.
        : I'll take the second estimate. Go.
        to : What are you? Union?

My LJ Got Ghosts? Gadzooks!

Comment

Thanks for the reassurance, Traveler & Womble! I've been window-shopping at the Plot Bunny Pet Shoppe, but was afraid to introduce a new name (<gasp!> Heaven forbid!) into the mix. I was really afraid of getting flamed for making an OC and having them interact with the main cast.
          See, this is why I loathe the whole Mary Sue stigma- it discourages people from writing.
          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Thanks for the reassurance, Traveler & Womble! I've been window-shopping at the Plot Bunny Pet Shoppe, but was afraid to introduce a new name (<gasp!> Heaven forbid!) into the mix. I was really afraid of getting flamed for making an OC and having them interact with the main cast. ("Oh, a low-level lab assistant talking to Maj Lorne? That'd never happen!") Isn't it strange to think that, out of the nearly 300 people living in the city, the main 5 or 6 people are only supposed to be friendly with just each other? That'd make for a pretty lonely time out there, I think.
            Just make sure that you introduce the character properly. Don't throw them in and suddenly make them everyone's best friend, because that would grate if it happened in the show. Show, rather than tell, why they're friends with the canon characters that they are friends with, don't have everyone love them unquestioningly, and don't make them Xer than Y (smarter than Rodney, stronger than Ronan, more annoyingly arrogant than Sheppard) and you'll be steering clear of the main MS traps.

Do, however, consider things like military and professional protocol. A low-level lab assistant would not in the normal run of things be expected to fraternise with a senior combat officer. Differences in rank - and civilians working with the military all have a notional rank, although the rules are less strict with them - will dictate what is deemed proper. In general, a lab assistant would be expected to go through their supervisor when addressing professional concerns to Major Lorne, although your character might get to know Lorne more personally after blurting something out or being the only one there during one of Atlantis's many crisis situations.
            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

OCs aren't a bad thing in and of themselves. The problem is that too often authors fail to give a logical reason for them to be there or has them act in a way that isn't consistent with the behavior of the established characters. So if you want Major Lorne to talk to a low level lab assistant, go ahead as long as you're willing to do it well.
              sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
              May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Could anyone help me find Fairygnomes's site. The link I have no longer works, and the only link that turns up on google is to an LJ. Is she still writing? Are her Stargate fics still available?

Bucky

Comment

google the Sam and Jack always site or look on Heliopolis (the old part)

Fairygnomes is no longer writing. Ruthie passed away a month ago which is possibly why her site is down.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

^^Thank you for that news, sad though it is.

Bucky

Comment

it is very sad. She passed away suddenly, she was ill and didn't realize that she was even that seriously sick.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        mhm, there's a lot of mountains and a couple of deserts between san diego and colorado

i don't know any off the top of my head, but maybe in the sierra nevadas (i think that's south enough in california)
                        or maybe in utah

anyone live in the south west?
                        Oh, gods!!! your kidding right?! if you aren't sure consult a map . I shouldn't fuss, many people don't even know New Mexico is a state.

Comment

Hi everyone! I'm working on a crossover fic, and I need to know what the Class A uniform for the Navy is called. Officially that is. I know they're referred to as Ice Cream suits, but that's not what I'm looking for.
                          sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Hey im searching for a VS, it was to do with the ninth cheveron and they ended up on this space station type thing..but i cant remember what i was. any ideas?
                            sigpic
                            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                            Stargate : Genesis |
                            Original Starship DesignThread
                            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                            11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                              Hey im searching for a VS, it was to do with the ninth cheveron and they ended up on this space station type thing..but i cant remember what i was. any ideas?
                              If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, it's not a fanfic...
                              Spoiler:
                              It's Stargate: Universe, due to go up before cameras next year. They supposedly end up on a ship that has been seeding the galaxy with Stargates.

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                                Could it be that you are talking about the virtual series, Stargate: Horizon? I can't recall if they used the ninth chevron... but they did end up on a space station, at least in the beginning. I never made it past the first few episodes, and it's been awhile at that.

Proudly Supporting Team USA

Comment

Working...
                                X