PDA

View Full Version : Fic help.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15

BruTak
August 28th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Is it common, or at least not unheard of, for American High School's to have War Memorials?

Or is it more a thing for colleges to have?

Sparky She-Demon
August 28th, 2013, 07:29 AM
More likely for colleges to have one than a high school, but not improbable.

bailey1ak
August 28th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Dang it. I just got caught in a clerical error by a guest reviewer for my Tok'ra story. :o

Sorry to hear that, Sparky. Hope you find an easy solution. :)

Is it common, or at least not unheard of, for American High School's to have War Memorials?

Or is it more a thing for colleges to have?

I've seen colleges with them, but I don't know of any high schools with war memorials, but I have seen other commemorative memorials...

Amara D'Angeli
August 28th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Thing is, how do I fix it?

What kind of error and where is the fic posted?

BruTak
August 28th, 2013, 07:48 AM
More likely for colleges to have one than a high school, but not improbable.

I've seen colleges with them, but I don't know of any high schools with war memorials, but I have seen other commemorative memorials...

Ok, thanks guys. :)

Sparky She-Demon
August 28th, 2013, 07:48 AM
What kind of error and where is the fic posted?

It's kind of a continuity error, involving when Egeria was captured by Ra. The fic is posted on ff.net and it is the third link under my sig. It's the third chapter.

Amara D'Angeli
August 28th, 2013, 07:50 AM
You'd simply edit the document in the document manager on FFN and then re-upload the chapter. If you need screenshots of this process let me know.

Sparky She-Demon
August 28th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Thing is, this kind of skews with what I had planned, I guess I could change it, but how?

roque872002
August 28th, 2013, 07:58 AM
You mean her UTD (http://www.rdanderson.com/stargate/entries/utd.htm)?

Thanks fems! That's perfect! Just what I needed to know!

Amara D'Angeli
August 28th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Thing is, this kind of skews with what I had planned, I guess I could change it, but how?

Ah, I see. Well, here's where you're going to have to put your thinking cap on as a writer. You can either make your story AU (leave it as-is and let your readership know you're diverging from canon details; your story becomes a what-if scenario along with whatever it already way) or you can fix it and then brainstorm how this new change affects the story line. Does it really affect the story line in an important way? Does that detail change your theme? If you were to correct that detail would your theme still be attainable?

fems
August 28th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Thanks fems! That's perfect! Just what I needed to know!

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Sparky She-Demon
August 28th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Just figured a way around the issue.

BruTak
August 28th, 2013, 08:39 AM
What's considered "small" for a US embassy and associated staff?

Roughly ten.

Follow up question - What about the Marine detachment?

Amara D'Angeli
August 28th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Just figured a way around the issue.

Fantastic!

Sparky She-Demon
August 28th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Fantastic!

All I had to do was make one small change.

Amara D'Angeli
August 28th, 2013, 10:12 AM
All I had to do was make one small change.

Wonderful! It's always nice when something overwhelming turns out to be a piece of cake. :)

Sparky She-Demon
August 28th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Wonderful! It's always nice when something overwhelming turns out to be a piece of cake. :)

It was still a little embarrassing. :o

Starfist
August 28th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Follow up question - What about the Marine detachment?

I would suspect the smallest marine detachment would be a squad of about 7 marines.
A Lieutenant, a Senior NCO and 5 marines.

BruTak
August 28th, 2013, 01:18 PM
I would suspect the smallest marine detachment would be a squad of about 7 marines.
A Lieutenant, a Senior NCO and 5 marines.

Noted and logged, thanks. :)

Starfist
August 28th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Glad to be of service...!

BruTak
August 28th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Glad to be of service...!

Had a bit of a think, and I'm thinking eight is a better number.

That way there would be four on duty, and four off duty.

Gatefan1976
August 28th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Here you go:

A fire team is the basic element of the GCE. It consists of four Marines: the team leader/grenadier (M4/M16 with M203), one rifleman (M4/M16), one assistant light machine gunner (M4/M16), and one light machine gunner (M249 SAW Light Machine Gun - LMG, M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle - approved by the Marines as a Squad Automatic Weapon but has not completely replaced the M249 SAW. Marines are still being trained on the M249 currently). The team leader is typically a Lance Corporal or Corporal.
A squad is made up of three fire teams, in addition to a Corporal or Sergeant as squad leader. A squad is capable of integrating a variety of attachments from a weapons platoon.

Samfan13
August 28th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Hi everyone!

Does someone know where I can find accurate information on the Wraith's background? I'd like to know more about their evolution starting with the Iratus bug until they became the individuals the Atlantis expedition encounters. I know it's got something to do with DNA but I've only seen SGA once and I need the info for my story because I want it to be as correct as possible.

Thank you! :)

Amara D'Angeli
August 28th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Hi everyone!

Does someone know where I can find accurate information on the Wraith's background? I'd like to know more about their evolution starting with the Iratus bug until they became the individuals the Atlantis expedition encounters. I know it's got something to do with DNA but I've only seen SGA once and I need the info for my story because I want it to be as correct as possible.

Thank you! :)

There seems to be a lot of info on the Stargate Wiki. Here's the Iratus bug (http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Iratus_bug) entry. There's a little more general info on the Wraith (http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Wraith) entry.

Samfan13
August 28th, 2013, 06:03 PM
There seems to be a lot of info on the Stargate Wiki. Here's the Iratus bug (http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Iratus_bug) entry. There's a little more general info on the Wraith (http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Wraith) entry.

Oooh thank you so much! That will definitely help me out! :)

Amara D'Angeli
August 28th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Oooh thank you so much! That will definitely help me out! :)

You're welcome. :)

fems
August 29th, 2013, 02:14 AM

The only problem with the wikia is that practically anyone can edit it, so you'd do best to double-check anything there with the transcripts (http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/Transcripts)- that is, if the episodes the entry refers to is actually mentioned, since often that isn't the case. You should also make sure the source is actually an episode and not from the RPG, novels or something else, because I've seen them put non-canonical information as canon plenty of times.

Sparky She-Demon
August 29th, 2013, 08:48 AM
How many of you on here written scenes of a choice nature?

BruTak
August 29th, 2013, 08:53 AM

If that's a euphemism for shagging, then the answer's no.

A quick snog and that's about it. ;)

Sparky She-Demon
August 29th, 2013, 08:54 AM

Yes that is a euphemism for shagging. You're from England aren't you?

fems
August 29th, 2013, 09:00 AM

Oh, I absolutely wouldn't have gotten that! :P Why not just write 'sex scene'? That's not forbidden on the forum, is it? Anyway, to answer your question, I have written quite a few of them (just wrapped up one yesterday but it and the previous one need editing as I'm not entirely satisfied with it) as you are well aware.

Why? Are you trying to write your first one and need advice?

Sparky She-Demon
August 29th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Oh, I absolutely wouldn't have gotten that! :P Why not just write 'sex scene'? That's not forbidden on the forum, is it? Anyway, to answer your question, I have written quite a few of them (just wrapped up one yesterday but it and the previous one need editing as I'm not entirely satisfied with it) as you are well aware.

Why? Are you trying to write your first one and need advice?

I am going to be. In "Never Shall We Die". But not for some time yet.

BruTak
August 29th, 2013, 09:32 AM

*Draws self up indignantly* England!?!?!? :eek: Madam! I am from Scotland and proud of it. *Mutters* England indeed... The nerve of some people...

Sparky She-Demon
August 29th, 2013, 09:34 AM
*Draws self up indignantly* England!?!?!? :eek: Madam! I am from Scotland and proud of it. *Mutters* England indeed... The nerve of some people...

I meant you must speak British English. Sorry... :o

Amara D'Angeli
August 29th, 2013, 09:46 AM
I've written my fair share of sex scenes. Okay, well, maybe more than my fair share. ;)

Sparky She-Demon
August 29th, 2013, 09:48 AM
I've written my fair share of sex scenes. Okay, well, maybe more than my fair share. ;)

This one will be the first one I write on my own.

fems
August 29th, 2013, 09:54 AM
This one will be the first one I write on my own.

So, why were you asking? Do you need tips/advice or were you just being curious? Did you co-write your previous sex scene(s) with someone else?

Sparky She-Demon
August 29th, 2013, 09:59 AM
So, why were you asking? Do you need tips/advice or were you just being curious? Did you co-write your previous sex scene(s) with someone else?

Basically I did this: I gave them the parameters of what I'd like and told them to do what they wanted with it. The chapter "A Long Time Coming" is currently the only descriptive sex scene that's in my stories.

WhyteWhytch recced a book for me to help write the scene on my own. The title is "Be a Sex Writing Strumpet". I just need to get some money together so I can buy it on my kindle.

fems
August 29th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Basically I did this: I gave them the parameters of what I'd like and told them to do what they wanted with it. The chapter "A Long Time Coming" is currently the only descriptive sex scene that's in my stories.

WhyteWhytch recced a book for me to help write the scene on my own. The title is "Be a Sex Writing Strumpet". I just need to get some money together so I can buy it on my kindle.

Why didn't you try to write it yourself? Or didn't it work out and that's when you turned to someone else to write it for you?

By the way, I've never heard of 'strumpet' before so thanks for helping me expand my vocabulary! :jack_new_anime06:

Amara D'Angeli
August 29th, 2013, 10:04 AM
My best advice is to just write the scene. Get it on paper. Then, when you're done, let it sit for a few days. Read it over with fresh eyes and see if it reads true. If it does, then you're money. Avoid cliche and superhuman feats of sexuality - they're dead give aways that you're new to sex writing. And, when in doubt, write about what you like - then you're sure ring true.

Sparky She-Demon
August 29th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Why didn't you try to write it yourself? Or didn't it work out and that's when you turned to someone else to write it for you?

By the way, I've never heard of 'strumpet' before so thanks for helping me expand my vocabulary! :jack_new_anime06:

You're welcome.

At that time, I was still getting around the mind block of writing it. I tried writing it on my own but it didn't turn out how I wanted it to in my head. Now I want to try my hand at them.

It won't be over the top. I'm not even remotely sure what I want to do just yet.

Sparky She-Demon
August 30th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Hi everyone.

SF_and_Coffee
August 30th, 2013, 06:09 PM
I've written one or two. No, that's not a euphemism -- I've seriously written only one or two. Was petrified to try... but they turned out all right. One of them is in ATWLB, in Chapter 22 (http://www.anaslakeside.com/ATWLB_Ch22.html) on my site. (The chapter itself is a bit of a spoiler for one aspect of the story, but it's minor in that what it spoils is really something by which no one who's glanced at the story's word count should really be surprised.)

My best advice is to just write the scene. Get it on paper. Then, when you're done, let it sit for a few days. Read it over with fresh eyes and see if it reads true. If it does, then you're money. Avoid cliche and superhuman feats of sexuality - they're dead give aways that you're new to sex writing. And, when in doubt, write about what you like - then you're sure ring true.
I'll second this, as it's basically what I did, except that I took my "what I like" experience and turned it around so that I could write the scene from the guy's POV. :)

Sparky She-Demon
August 30th, 2013, 07:45 PM
I'll take that advice into account, but I'm still going to try and get a hold of that book WW recced.

Gatefan1976
August 30th, 2013, 08:44 PM
I've written one or two. No, that's not a euphemism -- I've seriously written only one or two. Was petrified to try... but they turned out all right. One of them is in ATWLB, in Chapter 22 (http://www.anaslakeside.com/ATWLB_Ch22.html) on my site. (The chapter itself is a bit of a spoiler for one aspect of the story, but it's minor in that what it spoils is really something by which no one who's glanced at the story's word count should really be surprised.)

I'll second this, as it's basically what I did, except that I took my "what I like" experience and turned it around so that I could write the scene from the guy's POV. :)

Thirded

Write what you like, but I would add something to this, find a guy, Preferably IRL, and one you TRUST, and ask THEM their opinion.

Sparky She-Demon
August 30th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Thirded

Write what you like, but I would add something to this, find a guy, Preferably IRL, and one you TRUST, and ask THEM their opinion.

Ah, crap. Don't really know that many guys that I could ask that question. :o

Gatefan1976
August 30th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Ah, crap. Don't really know that many guys that I could ask that question. :o

You may be surprised.
You could ask someone online, but I would lay down some groundrules first.
Honestly though, you don't NEED a male POV, but it may help.

If you are happy with writing a scene you are comfortable with, then that's all you really need.

Sparky She-Demon
August 30th, 2013, 09:09 PM
There are twin brothers that are friends of mine, but I can imagine the looks on their faces if I got the guts to ask either one of them!

SF_and_Coffee
August 30th, 2013, 09:18 PM
I didn't ask any guys about anything when I wrote my sex scenes. Then again, I didn't really need to. I wasn't writing anything graphic, and after numerous relationships it isn't as if I'm any stranger to sex. I can put myself into a male character's head well enough, even in the bedroom.

And this brings up another important point: Sex scenes don't really need to be graphic if you aren't comfortable writing them that way, and if the story doesn't call for graphic (most don't). Leaving a bit to the reader's imagination is often the way to go.

Starfist
August 30th, 2013, 11:53 PM
If you need a male point of view Sparky I'll help out. If you want me to?

There are a lot of valid points here. I hint that something sexual has happend. But that is just me.

Amara D'Angeli
August 31st, 2013, 03:58 AM
I've never had a man read my sex scenes over before hand either. In all fairness, though, the ones I wrote - graphic or not - before I actually started having sex and the once I've written as I've gotten older are lightyears apart. So I guess, ultimately, that men have had some influence over the scenes. :D But no, my betas have always been women and that's worked out pretty okay. There have been a few times over the years when a man's opinion has been needed/requested, but honestly, it was always about an emotional reaction to a situation rather than about the sex.

Sparky She-Demon
August 31st, 2013, 07:00 AM
If you need a male point of view Sparky I'll help out. If you want me to?

There are a lot of valid points here. I hint that something sexual has happend. But that is just me.

I'll remember that when I get to that scene. Thanks Starfist.

fems
August 31st, 2013, 03:05 PM
Quick question: would someone of Jack's generation use the word(s) 'venereal disease' or 'STD'/'STI'?

Gatefan1976
August 31st, 2013, 03:45 PM
Quick question: would someone of Jack's generation use the word(s) 'venereal disease' or 'STD'/'STI'?

According to Britannica:

The term venereal disease (VD), denoting any disease transmitted by sexual intercourse, lost favour in the late 20th century and was largely supplanted by the more comprehensive term sexually transmitted disease.

So, he would have been in the "transition" phase of the term from VD to STD.

SF_and_Coffee
August 31st, 2013, 06:07 PM
I'm only twelve years younger than Jack, and when I was growing up we mostly heard the term "VD". "STD" came into common usage around the time I was in my late teens to early twenties or so, at which point Jack would've been in his thirties. So he's more likely to think in terms of "VD" but I'm sure he'd also be perfectly comfortable with saying "STD". I am, and people do tend to adapt their terminology to whatever is current, at least through middle age.

Starship Trooper
August 31st, 2013, 06:23 PM
Jack is a man of few words. :D Also, he can be a little old school at times. I would go with 'venereal disease' instead of 'sexually transmitted disease'.

SF_and_Coffee
August 31st, 2013, 06:25 PM
Actually, he'd be even more likely to abbreviate... so if he's going with old-school terminology, he'd probably say "VD" rather than "venereal disease".

Starfist
August 31st, 2013, 11:41 PM
Here in the UK we have a lot of names for 'STD's'. Mostly slang terms.

BruTak
September 1st, 2013, 12:06 AM
Here in the UK we have a lot of names for 'STD's'. Mostly slang terms.
Yeah, for example The Clap.

fems
September 1st, 2013, 02:12 AM
Thanks guys! I guess I'll go with VD then.

Sparky She-Demon
September 1st, 2013, 07:13 AM
Yeah, for example The Clap.

That one is used over in the states as well.

roque872002
September 4th, 2013, 02:39 AM
Here in the UK, when going to school we have to wear a uniform. Or at least, we're meant to....

Do any schools in the US have uniforms?

Amara D'Angeli
September 4th, 2013, 03:14 AM
Here in the UK, when going to school we have to wear a uniform. Or at least, we're meant to....

Do any schools in the US have uniforms?

Yes. Usually private, charter, and military schools are going to be more likely to have uniforms. Public schools are much less likely but it's no unheard of.

roque872002
September 4th, 2013, 03:26 AM
Thank :) trying to figure out a school J/S's child may go to if they were in the DC area....

Amara D'Angeli
September 4th, 2013, 04:18 AM
Thank :) trying to figure out a school J/S's child may go to if they were in the DC area....

There are, unsurprisingly, a lot of really great private and prep schools in the DC area that cater to the higher ups. Don't discount the Alexandria, Virginia area. Great schools and a lot of people who work in DC live in Alex - especially military folks.

roque872002
September 4th, 2013, 04:28 AM
There are, unsurprisingly, a lot of really great private and prep schools in the DC area that cater to the higher ups. Don't discount the Alexandria, Virginia area. Great schools and a lot of people who work in DC live in Alex - especially military folks.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

Samfan13
September 11th, 2013, 05:37 PM
So I've been reading up on the origins of the WRAITH and came across this:

"The Wraith were in fact created by the Lanteans as a way of gaining immortality without having to ascend taking people from Athos and making them into test subjects, this was how they were born."

Which got me confused because how does the Iratus bug fit into this?

Anyone who can clarify? Thanks

Whytewytch
September 11th, 2013, 06:33 PM

"The Wraith were in fact created by the Lanteans as a way of gaining immortality without having to ascend taking people from Athos and making them into test subjects, this was how they were born."

I think it was the iratus' longevity and their ability to heal. Not 100% sure, but I seem to remember hearing that.

bailey1ak
September 11th, 2013, 06:34 PM

Samfan, this is from Wikipedia, but it is what I remember from the explanation in the show too.

The Wraith are intelligent humanoids who are genetically close to insects, though they are predominantly human. They evolved in the Pegasus galaxy after a human population seeded by the Ancients was fed upon by an insect called the Iratus bug, which has the ability to draw upon a human's life to heal itself. As they fed, the bugs incorporated human DNA into themselves, giving rise to the Wraith.

However... (spoilered for content in Stargate books)

The explanation you have does sound a bit like the Stargate Atlantis Legacy Books. If you haven't read them I don't want to give too much away, but they are centered a bit on the expeditions struggle with the Wraith and discoveries they make about the Wraith.

What you are describing sounds close, but I'd have to check to see if it is exactly what is in the books or just close to it. It was a lot more complicated than that though too. :)

BruTak
September 12th, 2013, 12:28 AM
Anyone know anything about the ins and outs of lords and ladies, regal titles and whatnot?

What would be the correct titles for the wife and children of an Archduke?

iiradned
September 12th, 2013, 01:29 AM
Anyone know anything about the ins and outs of lords and ladies, regal titles and whatnot?

First some links

http://www.heraldica.org/faqs/atrfaq.htm

http://www.heraldica.org/topics/odegard/titlefaq.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archduke

The title of the wife of an Archduke is Archduchess. Archdukes were historically used only by members of the House of Habsburg for Imperial heirs. It was the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand with set off the First World War.

Archdukes also held the title of Prince, but since Archduke is a higher title this is what is used; so the children of Archdukes are titled as Prince/Princess.

The above of course applies only to how it was used on Earth.

Gatefan1976
September 12th, 2013, 01:30 AM

For his wife it would be Archdutchess, so I would assume their children would be dukes and dutchess'

BruTak
September 12th, 2013, 03:23 AM
Thanks folks. :)

Sparky She-Demon
September 12th, 2013, 07:43 AM
I'm working on the lead up scene to when Charlie accidentally shoots himself, from the point of view of a twin sister.

How could I write that?

Whytewytch
September 12th, 2013, 03:43 PM
I'm working on the lead up scene to when Charlie accidentally shoots himself, from the point of view of a twin sister.

How could I write that?

All kidding aside, with great delicacy and caution. We are talking about not only a death, but the death of a child. People get very het-up about that sort of thing, even if it's in fiction (and particularly after Newtown).

Sparky She-Demon
September 12th, 2013, 03:57 PM
All kidding aside, with great delicacy and caution. We are talking about not only a death, but the death of a child. People get very het-up about that sort of thing, even if it's in fiction (and particularly after Newtown).

Even if the death is a part of canon?

SF_and_Coffee
September 12th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Yes, even then. And especially given that the twin is NOT canon, siblings are close, twins even closer, and the POV is that of a child, who is not going to have the equanimity an adult just might manage in such a situation. Remember that your POV character has no idea the death is coming (there's no such thing as "it's canon so it's expected" for the people actually in the story).

Sparky She-Demon
September 12th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Yes, even then. And especially given that the twin is NOT canon, siblings are close, twins even closer, and the POV is that of a child, who is not going to have the equanimity an adult just might manage in such a situation. Remember that your POV character has no idea the death is coming (there's no such thing as "it's canon so it's expected" for the people actually in the story).

How would a twin react to something like that? Obviously she'd be devastated, but as I'm an only child, I'm at somewhat of a disadvantage.

SF_and_Coffee
September 12th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Well, I'm an only child too... but my imagination tells me that it's quite likely a twin would feel very much torn asunder, as if having suddenly lost almost half of herself. Not to imply that twins aren't fully individual persons, obviously, but I have some friends who are twins and they're so extremely close as to nearly read each other's minds, almost. They have a very special bond, even closer than most other siblings. Mind, the twins I'm thinking about who have the strongest version of that are identical twins, while Charlie and a twin sister would be fraternal twins. But there's still just... something about having a sibling who shared the womb with you, because unlike a great many other mammals, that's an unusual situation for humans.

Sparky She-Demon
September 12th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Well, I'm an only child too... but my imagination tells me that it's quite likely a twin would feel very much torn asunder, as if having suddenly lost almost half of herself. Not to imply that twins aren't fully individual persons, obviously, but I have some friends who are twins and they're so extremely close as to nearly read each other's minds, almost. They have a very special bond, even closer than most other siblings. Mind, the twins I'm thinking about who have the strongest version of that are identical twins, while Charlie and a twin sister would be fraternal twins. But there's still just... something about having a sibling who shared the womb with you, because unlike a great many other mammals, that's an unusual situation for humans.

I too have two friends who are twins. They're practically identical to anyone who doesn't know them.

It does happen right in front of her as well!

SF_and_Coffee
September 12th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Oh, that poor girl! She's going to be absolutely traumatized.

Sparky She-Demon
September 12th, 2013, 05:05 PM

I'm up to the point where what happpens...happens. Kinda stuck on the transition.

Whytewytch
September 12th, 2013, 06:57 PM

This. And everything before. I am also an only child, but I have cousins who are twins--male & female. They were extremely close growing up, like shadowed versions one of the other. Traumatized, devastated, destroyed--all words that are a pale ghost of what she will be feeling.

Honestly, if it was me writing it, I'd have sound, and images that scorch her retina. It would be like stop-motion in her brain or slow-motion. She will notice details, but not necessarily the main gore. Perhaps her shocked mind will perceive the drop of blood that hits his game ball from his first Little League game. Or how the sound stops, only to come roaring back all at once like a freight train. Or perhaps she will feel anger over the birds resuming their singing/chirping. Little things, but not necessarily the destruction of her brother's flesh and bone. Shock will take over and she will focus anywhere but there. That's how I would handle it. You might go a different route. How old again? It's been a while since I've seen this part of the show.

Whytewytch
September 12th, 2013, 06:58 PM
I'm up to the point where what happpens...happens. Kinda stuck on the transition.

If you're stuck in the transition, write the after. Nothing says you have to write sequentially. :)

SF_and_Coffee
September 12th, 2013, 07:15 PM
My understanding is that Charlie was about nine years old when he died.

Sparky She-Demon
September 12th, 2013, 07:25 PM
If you're stuck in the transition, write the after. Nothing says you have to write sequentially. :)

So... should I cut to the funeral then or the hospital?

Gatefan1976
September 12th, 2013, 07:36 PM
So... should I cut to the funeral then or the hospital?

Perhaps the ride to or from either?
You are dealing with shock, so it's entirely possible that the twin would not have distinct recollection of the event.

Sparky She-Demon
September 12th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Perhaps the ride to or from either?
You are dealing with shock, so it's entirely possible that the twin would not have distinct recollection of the event.

Thank you Gatefan1976!

Seaboe Muffinchucker
September 13th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Speaking as someone who is not an only child, traumatic events happening to your siblings (although, in my case, I was the injured one, not the witness) have very long lasting effects. My sister is the world's worst backseat driver, in large part from being in the back seat during a car accident (i.e., she had absolutely no control over events).

I happen to think that to write the actual moment is a really, really bad idea. No one wants to read the actual gore and trauma filled moment. Do the lead up, then cut--either to outside the house, the hospital or the funeral.

The sister may also end up hospitalized. She may end up feeling abandoned because of her parents' focus on Charlie. She may feel it's her job to hold the family together, so her failure to succeed can cause mega trauma years later.

All in all, there's no way this is not going to be a very angst ridden story.

Seaboe

Sparky She-Demon
September 13th, 2013, 07:15 AM
How would she end up being hospitalized?

Amara D'Angeli
September 13th, 2013, 08:59 AM
I'd write it. The scene of the sister witnessing the event, I mean. Yes, it's going to be violently traumatic. Yes, it's going to be uncomfortable for some readers. But I believe there's validity in strong emotion.

But, as someone mentioned before, I'd treat the situation carefully. I'd do a lot of research about child psychology and the possible reactions to such events. I wouldn't treat it lightly and I wouldn't be cavalier about it. It's something that must be treated with the right about of gravitas.

Someone also mentioned focusing on the minutia rather than the the gore and I think that was a fantastic idea. I'm not an old child and I do remember during one particularly traumatic injury to my brother that what I really remember was the horse.

He was riding and the horse was spooked and took off toward the barn. Back in those days our barn had fence boards as rails around the shedrow. The horse busted through one of the boards and was impaled. My brother went face-first into a steel pole and then up and over another rail. I remember watching my brother fly through the air and bounce around like a rag doll. I remember the blood. But what really sticks out was the fence board in the horse's chest. The blood on the clay. My brother's tooth in the grass. To this day I can remember my brother's injuries and subsequent recovery but I can't clearly picture his face where the most of the trauma was located. I remember what the day smelled like. The bird song. The smell of the antiseptic salve we put on the horse.

I remember my sister, not yet old enough to drive, being ordered up to the house to bring the truck down to the barn so my brother could be taken to the hospital - we'd have waited far too long for help had we had to wait for an ambulance to arrive.

I remember the family friend who came over to stay with us and who started patching up the horse before the vet arrived.

But still, even as I relive this memory, all I really see of my brother is how he flew through the air.

It's funny the things we focus on when horrific things happen. This happened when I was eight. And the day is still vivid - in what details I actually took in at the time.

fems
September 13th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Unfortunately I was usually the one who got injured with my sister witnessing the various events, so I'm afraid I won't be of any help. I would, however, have the kid focus on one thing (kinda like Amara mentioned her brother flying through the air) that isn't necessarily the most gruesome but made the most impact on a child of that age.

Personally, I would probably write the whole event too, although it being a kid's pov might make me refrain from writing it and instead change to one of the parents (as they would have a better understanding of what's going on) with them taking in the state of the other kid too. Then, you can always use flashbacks, therapy sessions and/or talks with the parents to have the child give her version of events later on in the story. I think that would be my choice if I were to write such a story, as it would allow me to include the kid's experience (later on) but also skim the precise circumstances and sequence of events up until the moment the parent(s) hears the gun go off and rushes upstairs to see what happened.

Sparky She-Demon
September 13th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Should I have her say, "NO!"?

Amara D'Angeli
September 13th, 2013, 10:07 AM

This is an awfully particular detail that will depend very much on how your scene develops.

Sparky She-Demon
September 13th, 2013, 10:11 AM
This is an awfully particular detail that will depend very much on how your scene develops.

I'm technically supposed to be doing my homework right now. But, I'm thinking on jumping to the ride home after the funeral. She's still in shock.

What kind of child psychology should I look up?

Amara D'Angeli
September 13th, 2013, 10:29 AM
I'm technically supposed to be doing my homework right now. But, I'm thinking on jumping to the ride home after the funeral. She's still in shock.

What kind of child psychology should I look up?

It's going to depend greatly on how you're going to end up treating the scene. But a good place to start would be childhood response to trauma.

Just as a little side note/question(s): When you get these story ideas, how fully formed are they? Can you envision the scenes in your head? Or do you just have an idea of a story you'd like to read and, if it doesn't exist, decide to write it yourself?

For me, a scene plays out in my head like a movie and I've got no choice but to put it on paper. Or, a conversation happens in my head with the same result.

What is it about this particular story line that gripped you so much that you had to write it? If it's the fallout from a twin witnessing Charlie's death then perhaps you should start there. If it's the witnessing of the event itself then you should definitely write that.

Amara D'Angeli
September 13th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Actually, that's a question I'd pose to all our writers since process is so incredibly important.

When you get these story ideas, how fully formed are they? Can you envision the scenes in your head? Or do you just have an idea of a story you'd like to read and, if it doesn't exist, decide to write it yourself?

Sparky She-Demon
September 13th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Childhood response to trauma. Got it, will do that later.

I can see the scenes like they are movies. Sometimes though, I have trouble getting those scenes down.

Amara D'Angeli
September 13th, 2013, 10:36 AM

I can see the scenes like they are movies. Sometimes though, I have trouble getting those scenes down.

Yeah, that can happen. The best advice I was given early on when I struggled with that same thing was to just get words on the paper. They don't have to be good, but they do have to be on paper. You can't edit a blank page.

Sometimes putting the words down gives you an opportunity to breathe space into them. Never underestimate the power of the white spaces between your paragraphs. Likewise, putting them down gives you difinitive proof of what will or won't end up on the page the way it appeared in your head. It's always easier to go to someone and say look, this is what I did but it doesn't look the on the page like it did in my head. Giving someone the framework to help will yield phenomenal results.

Sparky She-Demon
September 13th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Just started some research. Dang, Cora's going to be really screwed up for a while!

And it's the fallout from witnessing his death.

Seaboe Muffinchucker
September 13th, 2013, 10:54 AM
How would she end up being hospitalized?

Hysterics. I'm not saying it's likely, but it's possible.

I'd be interested to know what your brother remembers, Amara. I remember just about everything about our accident other than the actual impact. Little, possibly useful to Sparky details that stuck with me in particular: My mother (who broke her upper jaw) getting a towel out of a suitcase to wrap around my head (I was not particularly aware, then or later, that I was bleeding, although I lost enough blood to need a transfusion). My father's voice (I don't remember what he was saying, but I know he was telling the doctors that they were not to separate me and my mother). My sister, at the hospital, asking me if I was okay (when I obviously was not). My brother, a few days later, telling my father that they'd put in my stitches with a sewing machine.

Seaboe

Sparky She-Demon
September 13th, 2013, 10:56 AM
She's mostly going to be in shock.

Sparky She-Demon
September 13th, 2013, 01:42 PM
I'm thinking that her reaction to the events of "Cold Lazarus" will be part fear part curiousity.

fems
September 13th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Actually, that's a question I'd pose to all our writers since process is so incredibly important.

It's similar to what you described for me. Usually, I get a burst of inspiration during which I can see an entire scene play out and then, once I decide it's fic-worthy, I'll start thinking about the circumstances and basically try to expand on the scene in my head. Once I come up with the plot around the initial scene/idea I'll attempt to pinpoint where in the story the scene should take place (beginning, middle, end) and work from there to fill out the rest. A lot of times during the plotting conversations comes easily to me and when I start writing I can usually 'see' everything happen as I type, although there are moments when I have to take a moment, close my eyes and force myself to experience the scene I need (often the difficult/emotional scenes) before I can get it right.

I guess it's not all that different from how I used to play with my Barbies, dolls or Legos! :P Instead of typing it out I'd play it out with them; my mother and grandparents always said I could entertain myself for hours on end, all I needed was some toys and a corner to sit/lie and play! :D

SF_and_Coffee
September 13th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Sparky, we're not the ones writing the story. YOU are. The details and decisions are yours to make, as the author. We can offer advice and our own viewpoints, but we can't write the story for you. That's your job.

SF_and_Coffee
September 13th, 2013, 03:49 PM
When I get a story idea, sometimes it's fully-formed and other times it's just a vague idea that unfolds as I write.

Sparky She-Demon
September 13th, 2013, 04:03 PM
I'm planning on having her reaction to the events in "Cold Lazarus" being part fear and part curiousity.

Whytewytch
September 13th, 2013, 04:52 PM

Depends. Sometimes, I get a whole story in vague form. Sometimes, it's just a scene or a conversation. Every once in a while, I've got a pretty detailed story that I simply cannot type fast enough to put down.

Bear in mind that making a sweeping generalization like "child" is like making the same about an "adult". Children are human beings, individuals, who will all react differently given the same situation. Each child, even at the age of 9, already has a set of values, of instilled fears, of strengths and weaknesses. Each one has their own level of courage, of wisdom, of guilt. As we've been saying, if you plan on doing the actual scene--or even if you don't--tread lightly, use caution, and treat the story (of Charlie's death) with the dignity it deserves.

As SF&C said, those specifics are on you as the writer. Whether she physically screams "no" or mentally screams it or has an entirely different reaction, is all up to you. As you can see from comments alone, we could each write this scene, and if five of us wrote it, we'd have five entirely different stories.

As to the method, the most important thing is to write. I've heard this quote a lot lately, and it's true--you can't edit the blank page. In other words--write. You can go back and add, delete, or burn the MS at your discretion. But if you never write the first word because you're afraid it all won't be perfect, you'll never write at all. And if you rely on us to tell you what you should and should not write, the work is not really yours. What I gave you was an example of what I would write, not what you should necessarily. What we give you are our opinions, not words carved on stone tablets. You can do this.

BruTak
September 14th, 2013, 12:34 AM
Kids are often smarter than we give them credit for.

About three years or so ago, I took my then 11 year old niece to see "Toy Story 3" at the IMAX in the Glasgow Science Centre.

As we queued, she asked me what was the last film I'd seen - as it happened, it was "Inception".
She then asked me what it was about, and I explained in relatively simple terms the basic outline of the plot.

And y'know what? She understood it. :)
Which is more than can be said for some adults...

Sparky She-Demon
September 17th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Came up with a working title for my slightly AU story!

neverendingimagination
September 21st, 2013, 09:10 AM
I'm going through a rewrite and I'm trying to Americanize my dialogue - I write it pretty much how I would say it if I'm unsure, until I get through the first draft. Then play around with it, it's quicker for me that way.

I have a character saying "It's a bloody good job we're not trying to be discreet..." anyone got any suggestions how would a strong American woman in her early 40's say it?

Thanks in advance. :)

hedwig
September 21st, 2013, 09:12 AM
"It's a damn good thing ... "

Probably other ways too. :)

SF_and_Coffee
September 21st, 2013, 10:04 AM
I'm going through a rewrite and I'm trying to Americanize my dialogue - I write it pretty much how I would say it if I'm unsure, until I get through the first draft. Then play around with it, it's quicker for me that way.

I have a character saying "It's a bloody good job we're not trying to be discreet..." anyone got any suggestions how would a strong American woman in her early 40's say it?

Thanks in advance. :)
I'll second Hedwig's suggestion. "It's a damn good thing we're not trying to be discreet." That's pretty much the way an American man or woman would say it.

Where a Brit would say "bloody" we'd generally say "damn" or "damn". And where a Brit would say "job" (in this context, not in speaking about a mode of employment), we'd say "thing".

Any other dialogue you need Americanized? I'm willing to help.

Sealurk
September 21st, 2013, 11:08 AM
Any other dialogue you need Americanized? I'm willing to help.

This is a very good idea and works both ways - I've seen some absolutely terrible dialogue supposedly spoken by a Brit but clearly written by an American with limited exposure to real British speech, and at best it reads like Wodehouse on crack. It's a very easy trap to fall into, so running it past somebody of the relevant age/area/background is always an excellent idea for any writer. The same goes for cultural references and values.

BruTak
September 23rd, 2013, 08:45 AM
Question of the day: Wraith Dart vs. Colonial Viper?

I am truly astonished at the way my mind works sometimes...:S

Starfist
September 23rd, 2013, 08:50 AM
Further to BruTak's question...

Which type of Colonial Viper?

BruTak
September 23rd, 2013, 09:01 AM
Further to BruTak's question...

Which type of Colonial Viper?

The Mk. 7

iiradned
September 23rd, 2013, 11:19 AM
Going by the way they maneuver in space I think a slight edge goes to the MkVII Viper. NuBSG fighter craft often pivot about their center of gravity to bring their guns to bear.

BruTak
September 23rd, 2013, 11:21 AM
Going by the way they maneuver in space I think a slight edge goes to the MkVII Viper. NuBSG fighter craft often pivot about their center of gravity to bring their guns to bear.
That was my thought as well. But it's nice to get a second oppinion, thanks. :)

Nikki Alexander
September 24th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Okay so I've tried researching this and I've found some information, but it doesn't really answer my question. But I was wondering, would it be possible for someone who wasn't born in the US, but has become a US citizen, for them to join the FBI or military. For a fic I'm working on there's this family who are British but emigrated to the US when the children were young, and they've eventually become permanent citizens. But I was wondering if that was possible, if not I'll make changes, but I just wanted to check because I don't want to put something in there that isn't realistic.

Sparky She-Demon
September 24th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Okay so I've tried researching this and I've found some information, but it doesn't really answer my question. But I was wondering, would it be possible for someone who wasn't born in the US, but has become a US citizen, for them to join the FBI or military. For a fic I'm working on there's this family who are British but emigrated to the US when the children were young, and they've eventually become permanent citizens. But I was wondering if that was possible, if not I'll make changes, but I just wanted to check because I don't want to put something in there that isn't realistic.

It is possible. And joining the military is one of the oldest ways to get onto the fast track for citizenship.

Amara D'Angeli
September 24th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Once you're a citizen you're a citizen with all the rights and privileges that come along with it. Resident aliens have restrictions and I do believe that includes joining our military.

fems
September 24th, 2013, 10:14 AM

As long as they've gotten citizenship they should be able to apply according to the FBI's requirements (https://www.fbijobs.gov/111.asp).

Seaboe Muffinchucker
September 24th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Legally, there is no differentiation between naturalized citizens and those who where born in the U.S., except that the former cannot become President.

Seaboe

SF_and_Coffee
September 24th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Once you're a citizen you're a citizen with all the rights and privileges that come along with it. Resident aliens have restrictions and I do believe that includes joining our military.
Some resident aliens do join our military, and this helps them to obtain citizenship.

Nikki Alexander
September 24th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Okay cool, I just wanted to clear up whether it was possible or not. But one of the children was born in the US though. Anyway thanks for the help.

Amara D'Angeli
September 24th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Some resident aliens do join our military, and this helps them to obtain citizenship.

Ah - thank you. :) It's always nice to file away new info.

fems
September 24th, 2013, 10:59 AM

I wonder if that means Teal'c has American (or at least Earth) citizenship now... :P

Nikki Alexander
September 24th, 2013, 11:01 AM
^ It is :).

siles
September 24th, 2013, 11:27 AM

One minor exception is that you can't become president if you're not born in US

Nikki Alexander
September 24th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Well this family don't intend to, although the youngest daughter could if she wanted I suppose as she was born in the US, and she's lived there the majority of her life so far. Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

Sparky She-Demon
September 24th, 2013, 01:52 PM
If she was born in the US, she's a natural born citizen.

Nikki Alexander
September 24th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Yeah, I figured she would be, but I meant for the rest of her family. Her parents and five siblings were born in the UK, and then emigrated to the US about a year or so before she was born.

SaraBahama
September 26th, 2013, 04:43 PM

It is possible. And joining the military is one of the oldest ways to get onto the fast track for citizenship.

Nikki -I was going to answer, but Sparky beat me to it. There are ways to join the military (I'm unsure about the FBI -see the link that fems provided).

Legally, there is no differentiation between naturalized citizens and those who where born in the U.S., except that the former cannot become President.

Seaboe

There is another: it is unlikely that they would ever be allowed to serve as a field agent of the CIA. My husband would never even be chosen because he married a foreign national.

Yeah, I figured she would be, but I meant for the rest of her family. Her parents and five siblings were born in the UK, and then emigrated to the US about a year or so before she was born.

So her parents never assumed US Citizenship? Is there a reason why in your story?

Normally parents would emigrate and apply for citizenship, and then apply for their minor children.

Seaboe Muffinchucker
September 27th, 2013, 06:39 AM
I have a Canadian friend who married an American* and moved to the U.S. but has never become a citizen. Her daughter is, of course, a natural born citizen while she is a green-card alien.

Seaboe

*yes, I know, Canadians and Mexicans are Americans, too (so are citizens of all the South American countries), but in common parlance--no matter how inaccurate--American means citizen of the U.S.

SF_and_Coffee
September 27th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Anybody want to read a brief description of a physical location for me and tell me whether I've written it in such a way that it makes sense and can be visualized?

Nikki Alexander
September 27th, 2013, 02:59 PM
So her parents never assumed US Citizenship? Is there a reason why in your story?

Normally parents would emigrate and apply for citizenship, and then apply for their minor children.

Maybe it was the way I worded it, but I wasn't meaning that her parents didn't have citizenship. They did apply for citizenship, and then applied for their children, all except the youngest. I'm doing more research on it, but It was more to do with whether there would be restrictions on any of the children joining the military/government agency, that weren't born in the US.

fems
October 4th, 2013, 01:37 PM
I have a question which is in regards to the Rogue NID operation from Shades of Grey and the two members (Grieves&Kershaw) in The Sentinel.

I have a somewhat similar situation in a fic I'm working on; someone on an SG team is accused of taking/stealing alien technology from one of their allies.

Now, in Jack's case he was faced with the choice between a court-martial or early retirement but I'm not sure if that would actually be the case since it was all a ruse to let him infiltrate the Rogue NID operation led by Maybourne.

At the end of SoG all the personnel of the Rogue NID base (and Makepeace) are arrested for "high crimes against the United States and its allies" and we later learn that at least two (previously unseen) members were convicted for high treason, according to Hammond in The Sentinel:

"Colonel Sean Grieves, formerly of the NID. He led an offworld team for Colonel Maybourne and was one of the members of that organisation convicted of high treason for his actions."

However, when I looked into the whole treason thing I learned that it is defined as the following in the constitution:

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.
The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

So, I'm a bit confused as to whether the Rogue NID members would qualify as traitors and be charged with treason, since they did steal from allies of the US but only to aid the US - or at least not to aid/comfort any enemies of the US - and they didn't really levy war against them (either the US or the allies) either. Or is it that their actions [the stealing] could start a war between the US and their allies [from whom tech was stolen] and that's why it's considered treason? :confused:

Anyway, my actual question is whether I should use the words "treason" and "traitor" in my fic for the person accused of stealing alien tech from allies or if that is wrong as it doesn't fit the definition? I guess I could always say it fits the Stargate SG-1 universe of the definition considering the convictions of treason for those Rogue NID members but I would appreciate any clarification people could give me, just in case the subject comes up if I do use the words.

Sparky She-Demon
October 4th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Treason is a tricky charge, at least according my father who is a lawyer.

fems
October 4th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Treason is a tricky charge, at least according my father who is a lawyer.

It is only a minor plot point and it won't go to court because it happened off-world, there was only one 'witness' and with it taking place during mid season one only those at the SGC, a few select folks at the Pentagon (considering Kennedy, Samuels and Maybourne's respective appearances and assignments), the JCS and the Prez have clearance so the OSI won't receive clearance to be read in and therefore can't visit the crime scene and only have conflicting (redacted) mission reports available.

Basically, the OSI can't prove anything one way or another and with the accused being 'dead' they let it go and the accused will still get a proper military funeral etc. and won't be named a traitor. But regardless of the outcome I need to know whether the words treason and traitor would be used by Hammond and other SGC members in the know.

Sparky She-Demon
October 4th, 2013, 02:19 PM
They'd use those terms, I think.

Starship Trooper
October 4th, 2013, 02:44 PM
So, I'm a bit confused as to whether the Rogue NID members would qualify as traitors and be charged with treason, since they did steal from allies of the US but only to aid the US - or at least not to aid/comfort any enemies of the US - and they didn't really levy war against them (either the US or the allies) either. Or is it that their actions [the stealing] could start a war between the US and their allies [from whom tech was stolen] and that's why it's considered treason? :confused:

Definitely this (as far as I would understand it), because the only reason the undercover operation was organised in the first place was because the Asgard and the Tollan's had already been forced to accuse Earth of theft, and they seemed pretty upset about it. The situation had already escalated.

I think if they hadn't organised the operation with Jack and had just flat out denied that there wasn't any theft going on, it could potentially have incited war.

That would be my take anyway. They were definitely meddling in the diplomatic ties between Earth and it's new allies.

fems
October 4th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Definitely this (as far as I would understand it), because the only reason the undercover operation was organised in the first place was because the Asgard and the Tollan's had already been forced to accuse Earth of theft, and they seemed pretty upset about it. The situation had already escalated.

I think if they hadn't organised the operation with Jack and had just flat out denied that there wasn't any theft going on, it could potentially have incited war.

That would be my take anyway. They were definitely meddling in the diplomatic ties between Earth and it's new allies.

Yeah, that thought occurred to me after I'd posted it (hence my editing) but I still can't really see it in the definition of treason.

Also, would this mean I should or shouldn't use it for someone who stole tech from another ally that isn't as technologically advanced as the Asgard/Tollan and the only repercussion was a Jaffa attack and the subsequent death of said person*?

*At least, that's how it went according to the witness ;)

Starship Trooper
October 4th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Yeah, that thought occurred to me after I'd posted it (hence my editing) but I still can't really see it in the definition of treason.

Also, would this mean I should or shouldn't use it for someone who stole tech from another ally that isn't as technologically advanced as the Asgard/Tollan and the only repercussion was a Jaffa attack and the subsequent death of said person*?

*At least, that's how it went according to the witness ;)

LOL!

Hmmm... that is a tough one. I don't know if the relationship would be based on technological advancement alone. Sheer numbers can overwhelm more advanced weaponry.

But having thought about it some more I think you could reasonably argue either way for the purpose of your story.

Seaboe Muffinchucker
October 4th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Honestly? They called it treason because the writers didn't know how narrow a definition treason has in the U.S. You just have to fudge your way around it.

Seaboe

fems
October 5th, 2013, 02:14 AM
Thanks guys. I'll just see what works best for my story then.

BruTak
October 5th, 2013, 03:44 AM
Is it at all feasible for Artie Neilson and the gang from Warehouse 13 to have a high enough security clearance to know about the SGC?

Starship Trooper
October 9th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Is it at all feasible for Artie Neilson and the gang from Warehouse 13 to have a high enough security clearance to know about the SGC?

I'd never watched Warehouse 13, but I've been home sick today so I watched a few episodes.

I don't think they'd ever get direct clearance to know about the SGC, but the search for artifacts made me thing of the crystal skulls from SG-1. Even the device which Daniel went to retrieve which re-animates dead tissue or the weather device that was stolen and brought back to earth. You could have some kind of artifact which the goa'uld or the SGC have brought back to earth from a different planet which starts causing mayhem and the guys from Warehouse 13 also go in search of, thereby running into SG-1. :)

fems
October 14th, 2013, 08:53 AM
This may sound stupid but I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether it would be SOP for folks on SG teams to submit their reports via emails or some other kind of base network in season 1 (1997)? Wikipedia tells me emails have been around since 1993 but I have no idea how widely spread they were used in those early years and if it would be used (and considered secure enough) on a top secret military base. Or perhaps they have standard networks for that sort of thing? Or would simple hard copies be the way to go here for me?

SF_and_Coffee
October 14th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Well, for one thing, I'd expect a secure military base like the SGC to have its own secure, self-contained e-mail server. So I'd think they certainly could submit these reports in electronic form, and probably would. On the other hand, given the military's reputation for wanting everything in duplicate, triplicate and infiniticate (is that a word? it is now) they probably are also required to submit at least one paper hardcopy as well.

The war on trees will probably not end in our lifetimes.

fems
October 14th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Okay, thanks. I suspected that might be the case but I wasn't certain about the timing. Anyway, infiniticate won't be an issue in the story as Hammond wants to keep the reports under wraps for now and thus I needed to know whether he'd tell Jack to only submit a hard copy and thus no electronic version. ;)

Seaboe Muffinchucker
October 14th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Re email, not only a self-contained, secure server, but also encryption (and separate email addresses for emails that contain PII [personally indentifiable information]-eta: well, now. Not in 1997).

Also, reports are like rabbits--they multiply, even if you only create one to start with.

Seaboe

IamDKScully
October 14th, 2013, 11:38 AM
I'm looking for the names of both Sam's mom and Hammond's wife. Writers seem to take liberty with them so I'm trying to find out if anyone knows what their names truly were??

Sparky She-Demon
October 14th, 2013, 11:41 AM
I'm looking for the names of both Sam's mom and Hammond's wife. Writers seem to take liberty with them so I'm trying to find out if anyone knows what their names truly were??

For Sam's mom, I've seen a lot of people name her "Catherine". As for Hammond's wife, haven't seen her too much in the fics I've read. Has there ever been given a name for Sara's dad?

fems
October 14th, 2013, 11:46 AM

Nope, their names were never mentioned. However, in one of the novels Hammond's wife is/was called Margaret but personally I like Mary for her. The name of Sam's mother was never shared with us either, although some people say it sounds like Jacob said something along the lines of "Thea" (short for Dorothea perhaps) when SG-1 finds him on Netu - to me and many others it just sounds like Sam which makes sense since she was there and he was probably slurring a bit. In the RPG series she's called Debra Nielsen but in another novel her name (in an alternate reality) was apparently Eleanor.

hedwig
October 14th, 2013, 11:51 AM
For Sam's mom, I've seen a lot of people name her "Catherine". As for Hammond's wife, haven't seen her too much in the fics I've read. Has there ever been given a name for Sara's dad?

His name is Mike (no last name given).

Sparky She-Demon
October 14th, 2013, 11:52 AM
His name is Mike (no last name given).

Thank you hedwig! Been a while since I last saw Cold Lazarus, DVD player is dead.

SF_and_Coffee
October 14th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Just an FYI: Many online transcripts of "Cold Lazarus" give Sara's father's name as "Mike".

hedwig
October 14th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Just an FYI: Many online transcripts of "Cold Lazarus" give Sara's father's name as "Mike".

She did address him as "Mike" in "Cold Lazarus". She also called him "Dad". :)

Sparky She-Demon
October 15th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Thank you guys for the clue in. Also, now about ice hockey. That's going to be my OC's sport. Can I have some help in the explanation of the rules?

SF_and_Coffee
October 15th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Again, why not ask Google? (https://www.google.com/search?q=ice+hockey+rules+positions&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)
Hint: click the link. The answer to all your questions is there on that page.

Sparky She-Demon
October 15th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Thank you for your help.

Starfist
October 15th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Google and the many other search engines are our friends. :D

SF_and_Coffee
October 18th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Okay, here are a couple of questions for the collective mind:

1. Regarding the Goa'uld ribbon device (kara kesh), would you say this is something that only a System Lord and members of his immediate family would have? Or maybe those individuals plus their high-ranking Goa'uld lackeys -- say, senior military commanders and such? (Personally, I'm thinking at least Goa'uld at that level would have them.) Or would it be more common than that?

2. Same question, only this time regarding the Goa'uld healing device.

fems
October 18th, 2013, 11:27 PM

1. Regarding the Goa'uld ribbon device (kara kesh), would you say this is something that only a System Lord and members of his immediate family would have? Or maybe those individuals plus their high-ranking Goa'uld lackeys -- say, senior military commanders and such? (Personally, I'm thinking at least Goa'uld at that level would have them.) Or would it be more common than that?

I think it would only be (fallen) System Lords and perhaps their most important underlords, depending on the size of their domain. Osiris had one (stashed away), so did Hathor and wasn't Bynarr allowed one (plus a staff weapon) on Netu? I think the same goes for healing devices, although they may be more readily available since Goa'uld can heal pretty well because of the snake and/or use of sarcophagus which makes the healing device almost redundant for them (especially if they're unable to use it on themselves, which has never been clarified one way or the other).

iiradned
October 19th, 2013, 02:14 AM

The Goa'uld interrogating/torturing Teal'c in Serpent's Venom s4e14 had a ribbon device on him.

SamShipper
October 19th, 2013, 05:15 AM
I'm guessing it's minor and major System Lords, their underlings, and important lackeys. Probably not every minor Goa'uld who ekes out a living as a mercenary/works for random Goa'uld/are traders/whatever (the Goa'uld has got to have these, right? And probably wouldn't allow all positions for Jaffa and humans, there must be some regarding use/building of tech that are only allowed for Goa'uld).

SamShipper
October 19th, 2013, 05:16 AM
We have seen the Tok'ra have hand devices, even when not undercover (Jacob/Selmak had one for use against Seth, and I think I have seen others).

Of course, the Tok'ra do not follow Goa'uld rules :)

fems
October 19th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Did that fat one (Nerus?) from season 9 or 10 have a ribbon device? He wasn't a major player, so perhaps you can use him as an example.

Also, none of the three SL representatives in Fair Game had a healing device (weapons were forbidden so we don't know about ribbon devices) so I doubt it's something that's part of their standard getup. They [SL] are far more likely to have their own sarcophagus and aren't really the kind to help others, so it's not something they would use in my opinion. They could probably get their hands on one or perhaps have it stashed somewhere among their belongings but it's probably hardly ever used.

SF_and_Coffee
October 19th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Great answers, everyone. Thanks!

Yes, I surmise that the Goa'uld have a variety of positions in society, including traders, mercs, assorted lackeys, scientists and their staffs, engineers... pretty much everything across the board, since I envision them mainly using Jaffa as brute force -- guards, military, etc. We know from canon that there are also Goa'uld military officers, which brings me to...

My premise for what prompted my questions is a Goa'uld general (actually a Tok'ra spy but deep undercover in the guise of a Goa'uld general) who is in the service of a minor System Lord. In his guise as the general, he has been sent on a mission to one of the System Lord's planets, leading a party of Jaffa and two Goa'uld deputy commanders and I'm just trying to figure out who has what. I have the general/spy in possession of a ribbon device, and I'm thinking he probably has a healing device as well, in part because as a Tok'ra he would not want to ever need to use a sarcophagus. What I don't know is whether the other two Goa'uld under his command would have either device themselves.

fems
October 21st, 2013, 11:36 AM
Quick question:

Does anyone know when Jack had his knee surgery/surgeries? I seem to recall him mentioning he's had three operations (ACL thing) but I thought at least one of them was while he was at the SGC. I'm referring to his knee problem in a fic of mine (set late season one) and I don't want to get it wrong by saying he's had surgery once/twice already when the actual number is higher.

iiradned
October 21st, 2013, 11:41 AM
Quick question:

Does anyone know when Jack had his knee surgery/surgeries? I seem to recall him mentioning he's had three operations (ACL thing) but I thought at least one of them was while he was at the SGC. I'm referring to his knee problem in a fic of mine (set late season one) and I don't want to get it wrong by saying he's had surgery once/twice already when the actual number is higher.

AFAIK, the mention of knee surgeries were Rick adlibbing about his own knee surgeries. Knee surgery and the recovery were the reason Rick was absent for the episode Nightwalkers in S6.

fems
October 21st, 2013, 11:52 AM
AFAIK, the mention of knee surgeries were Rick adlibbing about his own knee surgeries. Knee surgery and the recovery were the reason Rick was absent for the episode Nightwalkers in S6.

Yeah, I knew it was RDA who had the knee problems (too) but they've been mentioned so they're canon for Jack as well! :P I didn't know that about Nightwalkers (unfortunately that's not in the show, although a Tok'ra's healing powers might be better than knee surgery :P) but it makes sense since Jack's leg/knee injury in Redemption had something to do with RDA injuring it days before filming or something. Anyway, counting that one I still have two (out of the three) surgeries unaccounted for. At the moment I'm mentioning two in the story, but I might change it to one because of all the times Jack gets hit in the knee (the "kneel before your god"-thing comes to mind) in between season two and six...

Sparky She-Demon
October 21st, 2013, 11:55 AM
Jack also gets hit with a staff blast to the knee in "The Devil You Know".

SF_and_Coffee
October 21st, 2013, 02:05 PM
I'd say you're safe mentioning at least one knee injury as occurring prior to Jack's ever encountering a Stargate. He'd already had a pretty involved career in Special Ops, and it's canon that he'd had injuries during that time -- not necessarily requiring knee surgery, but he'd definitely hurt his knees a bit by that time.

http://rdanderson.com/stargate/entries/oneilljack.htm

Sparky She-Demon
October 28th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Has anyone here ever played laser tag?

SF_and_Coffee
October 28th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Once.

Sparky She-Demon
October 28th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Once.

Okay good. I'm thinking of opening a story with a laser tag sequence. What would be a good way to do that?

SF_and_Coffee
October 28th, 2013, 09:09 AM
By writing a laser-tag sequence, probably.

hedwig
October 28th, 2013, 09:21 AM
By writing a laser-tag sequence, probably.

:lol:

Sparky She-Demon
October 28th, 2013, 09:27 AM
I just want to get it right.

Whytewytch
October 28th, 2013, 07:47 PM
I just want to get it right.

Then close your eyes, think about how YOU want it, and then write it that way. It's YOUR opening, not OURS.

Sparky She-Demon
October 29th, 2013, 05:03 AM
Then close your eyes, think about how YOU want it, and then write it that way. It's YOUR opening, not OURS.

I have an idea of what to do now.

fems
October 29th, 2013, 05:46 AM
Okay good. I'm thinking of opening a story with a laser tag sequence. What would be a good way to do that?

Is that for HL?

Sparky She-Demon
October 29th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Is that for HL?

Nope, for A Family Affair, the sequel to TWGO.

BruTak
October 29th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Has anyone here ever played laser tag?

I've played it a few times in the past, but not recently. I don't think my knees could take it.

It was a big thing here in the UK about 20 years or so ago, then it died away for a while and suddenly came back a couple of years ago.

Sparky She-Demon
October 29th, 2013, 10:36 AM
I'm planning on using the laser tag as a mode for a tactical exercise.

iiradned
October 29th, 2013, 11:16 AM
I'm planning on using the laser tag as a mode for a tactical exercise.

The US military also play 'laser tag' in exercises.

In the early 1980s they deployed the Multiple Integrated Laser Engagement System or MILES which consisted to various sensors attached to the individual soldier or vehicle and lasers bolted on the various standard issue weapons (except handguns) that were activated when blanks were fired.

Like in laser tag arenas whenever a soldier or vehicle was 'hit' a loud noise was emitted by the sensors until an umpire turned it off. This allowed soldiers some very realistic training with their regular weapons.

Sparky She-Demon
October 29th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Thanks!

fems
October 29th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Nope, for A Family Affair, the sequel to TWGO.

Okay. That's an SGA story, right? So why would you use laser gaming for a training exercise rather than in'tars? :confused:

Sparky She-Demon
October 29th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Okay. That's an SGA story, right? So why would you use laser gaming for a training exercise rather than in'tars? :confused:

What are those? I still don't know a lot about the tech.

Bagpuss
October 29th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Try this link: Intar (http://www.gateworld.net/wiki/Intar) :)

neverendingimagination
November 1st, 2013, 05:42 PM
I'm doing some research for my medical fic, I googled the correct medical code for a cardiac arrest and it came up as 'Pan blue' for American hospitals. Can anyone tell me if this is right?

Whilst I'm here, what are the standard messages in an American elevator - e.g. ours say 'Doors opening' 'Doors closing' 'Lift going up/down' and some announce the floor, 'This is Level 2'.

Skydiver
November 1st, 2013, 06:45 PM
A heart attack or person not breathing is Code Blue. Vernacular could be 'patient is coding' 'call the code' etc.

As to verbal elevators, we don't have a lot of them around here. THere will be dings for each floor, beyond that they can say what you want. As far as I know there are no rules as to what it has to say. About all I can say is that htey won't say lift.

:)

Hathor_girl
November 2nd, 2013, 08:14 AM
Elevators here in Sweden usually just say ding. If they speak, they say "first floor", "second floor",... and so on.

iamdragonrider
November 2nd, 2013, 11:37 AM
A heart attack or person not breathing is Code Blue. Vernacular could be 'patient is coding' 'call the code' etc.

As to verbal elevators, we don't have a lot of them around here. THere will be dings for each floor, beyond that they can say what you want. As far as I know there are no rules as to what it has to say. About all I can say is that htey won't say lift.

:)

"He's crashing" might be another way, though my hospital decided to be different and call pediatric codes "rapid response" instead (though all the emergency buttons are still colored blue and labeled "code") they just wanted to differentiate that kids going into full arrest can generally be prevented if interventions are made in time, so providers are encouraged to activate the "rapid response" before the kid is in arrest. The adult team is still called a code team or arrest team. Announcements though, have not been made overhead for some years (I've been an RN for more than ten years) the hospital choosing to avoid overhead paging entirely they went to a paging system instead, activated by a phone call to a central call system. of course, most dramatizations still use overhead announcements.

As for elevators, our brand freaking new cardiac and pediatric towers installed voices in the elevators, disembodied computer voices at first, which in the children's tower was replaced with a recorded child's voice. The recording unfortunately makes what might have been cute sound entirely creepy. The child announces every floor, with embellishments, such as "Lev-el ten!" and then "going UP" or " goooooing dooown" in a squeaky "low" voice. On the main level he says "This is the main level, the main loop, and bridges to the Orleans garage!" Of course he talks so long about it most everyone is off the elevator or irritatingly hitting the button to get on with it. At any rate, he's probably marginally less creepy than the motion activated disembodied male voice at the parking garage pay kiosk, that randomly starts speaking as you walk by late at night, all alone, in the dark garage.

Seaboe Muffinchucker
November 4th, 2013, 07:00 AM
The brand new elevator in my building now announces the floor when you arrive, but you can hardly hear it.

I think it says "floor one" rather than "first floor" but I'm not sure.

The ones that announce the direction (at least the ones I've been in) just say "going up" or "going down".

Seaboe

iamdragonrider
November 4th, 2013, 06:05 PM
2nd floor... hardware, children's wear, lady's lingerie.. oh wait, wrong thread.

BruTak
November 4th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Ground floor: Perfumery, stationary, and leather goods, wigs and haberdashery, kitchenware and food. Going up...

First floor: Telephones, gents ready made suits, shirts, suits, ties, hats, underwear, and shoes. Going up...

Second floor: Carpets, travel goods, and bedding, materials, soft furnishings, restaurants, and ties. Going down...

First floor: Telephones, gents ready made suits, shirts, suits, ties, hats. Going down...

Amara D'Angeli
November 5th, 2013, 03:02 AM
<3 that show! :D

BruTak
November 5th, 2013, 03:25 AM
<3 that show! :D

Me too. Are you free? ;)

Amara D'Angeli
November 5th, 2013, 04:12 AM
Spoilered for OT silliness because I just can't help myself!

I'm free. But I'm not taking anyone's inside leg. ;)

BruTak
November 5th, 2013, 04:22 AM
:D *Deep voice* Menswear.

IamDKScully
November 5th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Something I've found extremely helpful in recent months is that I take notes on my phone and my iPod. I carry both wherever I go and I tend to use my iPod more so than my phone because I can then e-mail the notes to myself and cut and paste into a word document for editing. I also carry an actual journal but I tend to use it more for thoughts and prayers than for ideas.

I write a lot of poetry and instead of losing an idea, I just jot it down and can chuck it or expand on it as inspired.

That being said, I've found after typing everything up and transferring my notes from my iPod that I think I may have 3 to 4 chapters worth of material for my fic :) I haven't been able to update it because of the computer crashing and I lost the transition chapter I had written and had to go back and rewrite it. But I'm hoping to have something posted in the next few days :) I also have a couple of little things I've written for Shipsgiving that I hope to fix in the next few days.

Um, before I wrote all that, really did have a question but now its gone :P Ah well.

Just wanted to share :)

Sparky She-Demon
November 5th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Mom is doing slightly better!

SF_and_Coffee
November 5th, 2013, 08:35 AM
OMG, I'm surrounded by fellow fans of Are You Being Served? This is awesome! :D

Sparky She-Demon
November 5th, 2013, 08:36 AM
OMG, I'm surrounded by fellow fans of Are You Being Served? This is awesome! :D

What's that show?

SF_and_Coffee
November 5th, 2013, 08:38 AM
It's the one all the elevator quotes have been coming from. Try looking it up on Google.

Sparky She-Demon
November 5th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Looks like a scream.

BruTak
November 5th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Ohh, it was a total hoot. Very much of its time though, they'd never be able to make anything like it today. :)

Sparky She-Demon
November 5th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Ohh, it was a total hoot. Very much of its time though, they'd never be able to make anything like it today. :)

It wouldn't be PC, I take?

BruTak
November 5th, 2013, 09:09 AM
It wouldn't be PC, I take?

Very much un-PC, yes.

Sparky She-Demon
November 5th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Very much un-PC, yes.

Sounds like fun then!

Amara D'Angeli
November 5th, 2013, 09:40 AM
I'm not sure it's so much that it's un-PC but it's a Brit-com so they could get away with saying something we couldn't. British humor doesn't always go over well with Americans and the humor on that show was very dry. It was absolutely hilarious - but not in the way Americans typically identify sitcoms as funny.

I grew up on that, Black Adder, Vicar of Dibley, Good Neighbors, As Time Goes By, Keeping Up Appearances, and Fawlty Towers thanks to PBS and a mom who knows what good television is. ;)

Sparky She-Demon
November 5th, 2013, 10:04 AM
My dad's shown me Black Adder. He knows what the good stuff is!

BruTak
November 5th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Of course, this isn't to say that there hasn't been some fantastic comedy to come out of the US. :)

The Phil Silvers Show, M*A*S*H, and 3rd Rock from the Sun to name but three.

And before we go even more wildly off topic (fun though this has been), do we have an old comedy show thread? And if not, why not?

Sparky She-Demon
November 5th, 2013, 10:15 AM
I love M*A*S*H!

SF_and_Coffee
November 5th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Cueball, go start one. Or you could just hijack the Watercooler thread, given that's kind of what it's there for. :D

BruTak
November 5th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Done. :)
http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/88127-The-TV-Comedy-Thread!?p=14010484#post14010484

iamdragonrider
November 6th, 2013, 08:06 AM
It's the one all the elevator quotes have been coming from. Try looking it up on Google.

My quote came from Aerosmith. "Love in an Elevator" I'm sad no one got it :( Go-oing down.

SF_and_Coffee
November 6th, 2013, 08:21 AM
I think it's been even longer since I heard that song than since I watched an episode of Are You Being Served? given I live with someone who loathes Aerosmith.

Now, if you'd used the "livin' it up" line, I'd have gotten it right away. :D

Sparky She-Demon
November 21st, 2013, 06:15 AM
Has anyone here ever been on a major clothes buying shopping spree and enjoyed it?

Amara D'Angeli
November 21st, 2013, 06:19 AM
Has anyone here ever been on a major clothes buying shopping spree and enjoyed it?

For the first couple of hours and the first hundred garments, yes. :P

Sparky She-Demon
November 21st, 2013, 06:27 AM
For the first couple of hours and the first hundred garments, yes. :P

Okay, because I'm going to be writing a shopping spree for clothes in my Tok'ra story. Having never done a shopping spree like that myself, I need advice.

Amara D'Angeli
November 21st, 2013, 06:50 AM
Okay, because I'm going to be writing a shopping spree for clothes in my Tok'ra story. Having never done a shopping spree like that myself, I need advice.

Uh...okay. I'm not sure there's much advice to be given on what it's like to shop for many hours. I mean, it's pretty much exactly what you'd think it would be. Go in, try on TONS of clothes, spend gobs of money. If you're lucky you've got a good friend with you that will whisk you off to Starbucks when you've tried on twenty things in a row that didn't fit (or made you look like an elf) or will tell you when your ass looks good in a pair of jeans (or, conversely, absolutely hideous).

BruTak
November 21st, 2013, 06:58 AM
Has it ever been established if either Sgt. Siler, or Walter Harriman have any family?

Sparky She-Demon
November 21st, 2013, 06:59 AM
Has it ever been established if either Sgt. Siler, or Walter Harriman have any family?

Don't think so.

IamDKScully
November 21st, 2013, 07:12 AM

I don't think so either, but I did read a nice fic that had Siler married with children and Jack spending time with Siler's family. :)

I need motivation! I have a chapter almost finished and just can't get myself to do it. I have too many distractions. The biggest problem is I can't crochet and write at the same time :) I'm crocheting Christmas presents and they've taken precedence over the fic. But it's been weeks and weeks since my last chapter was posted because of all of the computer problems I had. I need creative fic vibes...anyone???

Sparky She-Demon
November 21st, 2013, 07:13 AM
I've updated two stories in the past three days: Shadow Games and Never Shall We Die. You could read those stories for creative vibes.

fems
November 21st, 2013, 07:24 AM
I don't think so either, but I did read a nice fic that had Siler married with children and Jack spending time with Siler's family. :)

I need motivation! I have a chapter almost finished and just can't get myself to do it. I have too many distractions. The biggest problem is I can't crochet and write at the same time :) I'm crocheting Christmas presents and they've taken precedence over the fic. But it's been weeks and weeks since my last chapter was posted because of all of the computer problems I had. I need creative fic vibes...anyone???

Try starting a sprint in the sprinting (http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/85400-Fan-Fic-Writers-Sprinting-Station)thread? It basically means making an appointment to write at the same time as other people on the thread. For me it is a great motivation to write and report my progress in the thread. It doesn't matter if you barely manage a hundred words or end up with a thousand more than the rest, but it encourages everyone to just write.

Amara D'Angeli
November 21st, 2013, 07:42 AM
Try starting a sprint in the sprinting (http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/85400-Fan-Fic-Writers-Sprinting-Station)thread? It basically means making an appointment to write at the same time as other people on the thread. For me it is a great motivation to write and report my progress in the thread. It doesn't matter if you barely manage a hundred words or end up with a thousand more than the rest, but it encourages everyone to just write.

This.

SF_and_Coffee
November 21st, 2013, 12:59 PM

I don't think it was ever addressed in canon, but in my 'verse, Siler is married and has kids. I'll be introducing his teenage daughter at one point in my series (just a cameo appearance, she works at O'Malley's as a hostess) and we'll meet his wife at a party at Janet's. ;)

BruTak
November 21st, 2013, 11:46 PM
I'm sorely tempted to have Harriman mention his "Great uncle Walter, who served in a M*A*S*H unit in Korea". ;)

Sparky She-Demon
November 22nd, 2013, 04:30 AM
I'm sorely tempted to have Harriman mention his "Great uncle Walter, who served in a M*A*S*H unit in Korea". ;)

Do it!

Amara D'Angeli
November 22nd, 2013, 05:22 AM

Do it!

Yeah, I'm with Sparky on this one. ;)

SF_and_Coffee
November 22nd, 2013, 06:33 AM
Wouldn't even have to be his great-uncle, given that Harriman was probably born sometime in the Sixties, which would make him the perfect age to have parents (and thus their siblings) who were born right around the time as Radar O'Reilly would've been. And Radar did mention having a sister... ;)

fems
November 22nd, 2013, 07:57 AM
Does anyone know of a male equivalent for concubine? I'm asking in regards to a Goa'uld's harem of (human) sex slaves, but in this case the Goa'uld in question is in a female host with male sex slaves. The Goa'uld would be like Amaunet (mate of a pharaoh), not Hathor (a Queen) or Osiris (a 'male' goa'uld in a female host), in case that's of importance.

I did a bit of googling and the only terminology I found was catamite (boy kept for homosexual practices; the passive partner in anal intercourse) or dated back to the Romans, who used concubinus for a male concubine but those were same-sex relationships as well, not female-male.

The French would probably use concubin but that's not an English word, unless my Google Fu has let me down... :(

SF_and_Coffee
November 22nd, 2013, 08:15 AM
You might do well to simply refer to them initially as "male concubines" to establish their gender, and then afterward just "concubines". Most readers will understand that, especially if every once in a while you bring up a way to remind them of the gender of these individuals.

fems
November 22nd, 2013, 08:29 AM
Thanks. I guess I'll be using 'male concubine' then.

Amara D'Angeli
November 22nd, 2013, 08:50 AM
There's another story that does this pretty successfully. Liberating Males, I think.

fems
November 22nd, 2013, 08:52 AM
There's another story that does this pretty successfully. Liberating Males, I think.

Yes, I recognize the title and I believe I enjoyed the story. Mine is quite different, though. There's not much showing of harem etc but I just want to get the, uh, structure of a Goa'uld court (in my world) correctly :P

Amara D'Angeli
November 22nd, 2013, 09:54 AM
I actually couldn't get into Liberating Males. I loved the concept but in reality the story just wouldn't sit right with me.

fems
December 3rd, 2013, 07:37 AM
I have a quick question about weaponry in SG-1. I know Daniel usually only carried a Beretta and/or a zat, hardly ever a P90/MP5 (unless there's Replicators involved), but do you guys think/know whether this is just a personal preference or if civilian scientists aren't allowed to carry the P90s/MP5s? I checked a few episodes where there were scientists off-world, but in most cases they're either unarmed or only carrying a sidearm/zat (difficult to see), so I was wondering if that was standard protocol or something.

Sparky She-Demon
December 3rd, 2013, 07:43 AM
I have a quick question about weaponry in SG-1. I know Daniel usually only carried a Beretta and/or a zat, hardly ever a P90/MP5 (unless there's Replicators involved), but do you guys think/know whether this is just a personal preference or if civilian scientists aren't allowed to carry the P90s/MP5s? I checked a few episodes where there were scientists off-world, but in most cases they're either unarmed or only carrying a sidearm/zat (difficult to see), so I was wondering if that was standard protocol or something.

They probably had to have firearms training in order to be able to carry a weapon offworld.

fems
December 3rd, 2013, 07:47 AM
They probably had to have firearms training in order to be able to carry a weapon offworld.

Yeah, I get that and that's why they're allowed to carry their sidearms (or zats), but are there separate rules for P90s/MP5s? Like, only military folks are allowed to carry those or something about civilian scientists having to keep their hands free and thus only carry sidearms/zats?

Sparky She-Demon
December 3rd, 2013, 07:52 AM
Definetely for the P-90's. I have a feeling that those are exclusively military.

Amara D'Angeli
December 3rd, 2013, 07:59 AM
This is purely speculation on my part, but considering Daniel has been seen with automatic weapons but doesn't tend to carry them - he's likely passed any of the munitions tests the AF would want to put him through. It seems like it would be a personal choice that he carry only a handgun and/or zat (to free up his hands and open his chest - he is, after all the resident archaeologist and diplomat) just as Teal'c opts to carry his staff weapon rather than an automatic rifle.

BruTak
December 3rd, 2013, 08:12 AM
Definetely for the P-90's. I have a feeling that those are exclusively military.

Well, strictly speaking, the full auto version of the P90 is exclusively for Military and Police use.
Legally, civilians can only own the semi-auto (single shot) version.

But in the context of the show, I think it's more a case of Daniel carrying a pistol for self defence.

BruTak
December 5th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Guys, I just found something quite useful.

A glossary of modern US Military slang - http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/groundtruth-afghanistan/us-military-slang-glossary

SF_and_Coffee
December 5th, 2013, 08:15 PM
I just read that today myself, and thought about posting it here, but I'm glad you beat me to it.