PDA

View Full Version : Teal'c....................and his digestive sistem...

anubis3355
June 2nd, 2004, 10:09 PM
Hey..........thinking how the hell Teal'c digest all the stuff he eats.......................as far as I know he has no intestines.......he has a snake thing instead.....................so can he only consume so little so the actual symbiote can digest it or what.........cant be true...TEal'c eats lots of food..........think.........then tell me... :) :) :)
http://gateworld.net/sg1/s6/graphics/619_01_mm.jpg

GuyFromOH
June 2nd, 2004, 10:15 PM
Hey..........thinking how the hell Teal'c digest all the stuff he eats.......................as far as I know he has no intestines.......he has a snake thing instead.....................so can he only consume so little so the actual symbiote can digest it or what.........cant be true...TEal'c eats lots of food..........think.........then tell me... :) :) :)

Maybe he's got one, it's all just pushed off to the side. Jack was made into a Jaffa for a bit, then he undid it in a Sarcophagus, so it seems more likely that the abdominal differences between human and Jaffa may not be so great.

Jafana
how very very weird!

not five minutes ago I was thinking that exact same question.

however, it was in reference to whether I thought that Christopher Judge was hot, and whether I could get over the idea that most of the time I thought of him (as Teal'c) with a large pouch in that general vicinity.

But still, I thought the same question when I realised that there isnt much room in there when you think about it.

Torley
Good question, I'm not sure of the science of it... I wonder about all Jaffa... is it like feeding a baby, and the Goa'uld larva gets some of the nutrition and stuff? Also isn't it kind of a pain to do things like go swimming and have the pouch cavity fill up with water, and the parasite possibly get lost in heavy currents? Just wondering.

GuyFromOH
June 2nd, 2004, 10:26 PM
Good question, I'm not sure of the science of it... I wonder about all Jaffa... is it like feeding a baby, and the Goa'uld larva gets some of the nutrition and stuff? Also isn't it kind of a pain to do things like go swimming and have the pouch cavity fill up with water, and the parasite possibly get lost in heavy currents? Just wondering.

In general, body cavities have a tendency to be waterproof, surely there is some sort of symbiote-pouch mucus that helps with that. Symbiotes are originally from the water, so I'm sure they probably like it. Those Junior's out there are probably attached well enough that they wouldn't fall out that easily, although Teal'c seems to have a tendency to pull his out with no problems.

Torley
June 2nd, 2004, 10:35 PM
AHHH right GuyFromOh, thanks, I'd forgotten about the origins of the Goa'uld. it just seems like kind of a loose pouch, and not terribly good at sealing out stuff -- i.e. when they show the X, it just looks SOOO loose and frail when the sides flap and Junior comes out. You'd think some Jaffa would come up with a better defense way (apart from body armor) so they don't get socked in the bellies and lose it all!

GuyFromOH
June 3rd, 2004, 12:40 AM
AHHH right GuyFromOh, thanks, I'd forgotten about the origins of the Goa'uld. it just seems like kind of a loose pouch, and not terribly good at sealing out stuff -- i.e. when they show the X, it just looks SOOO loose and frail when the sides flap and Junior comes out. You'd think some Jaffa would come up with a better defense way (apart from body armor) so they don't get socked in the bellies and lose it all!

Now that I think of it, would anyone really want to go swimming with a Jaffa? The Symbiote would sneak out of that pouch and infest anyone else in the pool.

Anubis
June 3rd, 2004, 12:46 AM
I don't think anyone would want to go swimming with him when he had his symbiote. He no longer has this and uses that Trotonan

Torley
June 3rd, 2004, 12:53 AM
I have some zany ideas... yes I know... haha... and yes, Tretonin...

By the way, Tretonin is the name of a real drug. What does it do? It's not made out of Goa'uld-a-la-blender, for starters, but it helps regenerate... YOUR SKIN!!! BEAUTY CREAM!!! That's Teal'cs secret (along with the eye makeup and all . . .)

Question: is Junior evil? (referring to past episodes) Like, would Junior jump out of the pouch and take over someone like that Goa'uld did to Major Kawalsky? I missed some eps so I'm not altogether clear on this.

Anubis
June 3rd, 2004, 12:59 AM
I very much doubt it. Remember, the Gou'ald are not like the Tok'ra. Their symbiote controls them they don't control the symbiote

I think it's different for the Jeffa though. Not by very much. Teal'c doesn't go the glowy eye effects. I don't think junior would have done somthing like that

KokiriChild
June 3rd, 2004, 01:29 AM
Junior would have (being an independant consciousness), but Teal'c wouldn't

GuyFromOH
June 3rd, 2004, 01:43 AM
Junior would have (being an independant consciousness), but Teal'c wouldn't

in "1969", Teal'c said that if they stayed there, his symbiote would reach maturity and take over his body. To me, that means Junior is evil, but he was just too young to do anything about it

Bogopimp
June 3rd, 2004, 01:52 AM
tiel'c does have intestines, just no system to make him better, his immune system. He still has a circulatory system , a digestive system, everythign everyone else has.

Dont be crazy, of course he has organs!

in a jaffa the symbiote only grows, it doesnt interact with tiel'c or the jaffa's mind! it isnt connected to him in any way, any physical way, its just inside of him. In a goauld host, the symbiote is connected to the brain thus it can control the body and stuff!

GuyFromOH
June 3rd, 2004, 02:04 AM
in a jaffa the symbiote only grows, it doesnt interact with tiel'c or the jaffa's mind! it isnt connected to him in any way, any physical way, its just inside of him. In a goauld host, the symbiote is connected to the brain thus it can control the body and stuff!

There was an episode where Teal'c was able to interact mentally with his symbiote, so there is some kind of neural connection there, as minimal as it may be.

The symbiote is not just inside him, it has replaced his immune system, so the symbiote operates much like a system of organs. They are VERY connected.

Jaffa's are "incubators" of infant Goa'uld, but when the Goa'uld reaches maturity, if no suitable host can be found, it will take over the body of the Jaffa incubating it. Without a replacement infant Goa'uld, a Jaffa will die, making it likely that the Jaffa would not remove the symbiote prior to it taking over his/her body.

Jprime
June 3rd, 2004, 05:22 AM
in "1969", Teal'c said that if they stayed there, his symbiote would reach maturity and take over his body. To me, that means Junior is evil, but he was just too young to do anything about it

Like stewey from family guy!

Bogopimp
June 3rd, 2004, 06:36 AM
There was an episode where Teal'c was able to interact mentally with his symbiote, so there is some kind of neural connection there, as minimal as it may be.

The symbiote is not just inside him, it has replaced his immune system, so the symbiote operates much like a system of organs. They are VERY connected.

Jaffa's are "incubators" of infant Goa'uld, but when the Goa'uld reaches maturity, if no suitable host can be found, it will take over the body of the Jaffa incubating it. Without a replacement infant Goa'uld, a Jaffa will die, making it likely that the Jaffa would not remove the symbiote prior to it taking over his/her body.
but that was in an exceptionally deed state of kel no reem. There are no physical neural connections! And the symbiote isnt connected, it works like a doctor may. when a new disease enters the body, it analyses it, then "secretes" and antidote to it. It does replace organs, but not physically connected, otherwise itd kill the jaffa's everytime the thing even came out the pouch (you know, a pouch, somethign where something "stays")!

Torley
June 3rd, 2004, 10:25 AM
"Junior was a nice little wormsnake... UNTIL HE GREW UP AND GAVE HIS DADDY HECK!!!" ;)

Skydiver
June 3rd, 2004, 12:41 PM
everything about teal'c's body is 'normal' except for the pouch....it'd be the same as a woman's reproductive organs....they're a part of her body and doesn't significantly change her outward appearance (except during pregnancy of course)

his intestines and such just move around to allow room for the pouch, just like a woman's internal organs squish around to make room for a growing baby

the body adapts

Bogopimp
June 3rd, 2004, 12:53 PM
thats what im saying y'all, and this guy knows, in fact i know, as stated above. Except for the pouch there normal humans! Maybe some organs stop working because of them, like the liver, but because the symbiote filters the blood and such (if they do) it isnt needed!

Torley
June 3rd, 2004, 02:09 PM
Okay, Skydiver, since you brought it up I'm going to have to ask: not sure if this has already been addressed on the show, but Jaffa women -- how do they give birth to children, then, if they have a symbiote pouch already taking up that space?

anubis3355
June 3rd, 2004, 02:22 PM
Okay, Skydiver, since you brought it up I'm going to have to ask: not sure if this has already been addressed on the show, but Jaffa women -- how do they give birth to children, then, if they have a symbiote pouch already taking up that space?

well..............Yaeah.........................................sure how in the world do jaffa women get pregnant...........Goauld have kids but how about their slave Jaffa hellooooooooooo.................the kid would fall out

MGM AND SCIFI.......I DARE YOU TO MAKE A JAFFA WOMAN PREGNANT ON STARGATE SG-1....

.................ohh and if you want me to do a cameo on the show call me......or email me.......you have it. :)

Torley
June 3rd, 2004, 02:31 PM
They should introduce the Goa'uld Caesar and his invention of the Caesarean section -- the original inspiration behind the larval pouches! ;)

KokiriChild
June 3rd, 2004, 02:32 PM
And maybe he could have a salad afterwards?

Torley
June 3rd, 2004, 03:16 PM
Exactly. He's not only power-hungry, he's just plain hungry!

KokiriChild
June 3rd, 2004, 03:18 PM
***Daniel Jackson on P3X-825***

Jack, come take a look at this... According to the hyroglyphs, the ancient malarsyians buried the gate in a rebellion against Caeser. He used the people of this planet as slaves in his lettuce fields...

Skydiver
June 3rd, 2004, 04:59 PM

well, prior to redemption, where it was said that dreyac died after refusing to take another snake/unable to get one, the only female jaffa that had been seen with snakes were priestesses...thus creating the impression that males and priestesses only carried primtas.

this would fit with the jaffa, male dominate, mindset.

teal'c once said that a primta is only as strong as the jaffa that carried it, and just how strong would a symbiote be that was carried by a woman?????

Personally, i think they screwed up by saying that dreyac had a primta. I really don't see how a primta, acting as the jaffa's immune system, would allow a child to be conceived, putting more stress upon the body and 'stealing' nutrients that the primta needs to survive.

there is also the fact that, given the insanely high jaffa mortality rate in battle, plus the apparantly high infant mortality rate (in 'primitive' societies, a 50%+ mortality rate isnt' unheard of....more than half the children being born not surviving the first year of life) i would think the edict would be for jaffa to breed as much and as often as they could

Personally, i think the show messed up and will just 'ignore' that problem

GuyFromOH
June 3rd, 2004, 05:42 PM
Personally, i think they screwed up by saying that dreyac had a primta. I really don't see how a primta, acting as the jaffa's immune system, would allow a child to be conceived, putting more stress upon the body and 'stealing' nutrients that the primta needs to survive.Personally, i think the show messed up and will just 'ignore' that problem
We know that a symbiote will allow human conception, we saw it with Shar'ri, with the conception of the harsesis child, the symbiote actually put itself aside to allow the child to develop. Even though this example is with Goa'uld, not Jaffa, the symbiote is still taking the place of the immune system.

Skydiver
June 3rd, 2004, 06:05 PM
in the case of the goa'uld, the symbiote only allows conception by surrendering control. it is different with jaffa since the snake is not in control, but there are some similarities.

one of which is the lengthened life. how can a fetus develop correctly if the host's body is aging slower than 'normal'?

Torley
June 3rd, 2004, 09:25 PM
HAHAHA (to that whole Caesar) thing...

And on a serious note, that's some good consideration based on evidence we've seen on-screen. Hmmm some issues are best left a mystery for obvious reasons, but it's interesting to think about it and discuss nonetheless -- which is what this board is for ;)!

Teal'c
June 4th, 2004, 03:35 PM
ALL JAFFA NEED SYMBIOTES!

OK, everyone get that into your heads. Although Bloodlines implies that they only lose their immune system once they receive their first symbiote, this is just Teal'c's mistake, because A) It doesn't make sense, the Jaffa could easily be free of the Jaffa by not giving the new generation symbiotes and B) a little episode called Birthright :P

OK, so all Jaffa, male, female, warrior, priestess, they all need a symbiote. And we saw Drey'auc pregnant in Treshold (If you didn't believe before that Rya'c was Teal'c's son :P)

And since a symbiote BOOSTS the health of a Jaffa, it probably provides healithy babies at birth. The pouch, like a normal woman's organs, would just move gradually out of the way as the foetus grew...

anubis3355
June 4th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Sure.........whatever you rat thing or another.......but..........you said that the Jaffa could be free of the Goaul'd by simply not giving a symbiote to the next generation.........this is not posible.............in birthright and that other episode you mentioned the kids get sick when they get their pubes....so they need a symbiote to survive and make them heathy again..........its a method the Goaul'd have used to keep continued slavement of the Jaffa.....

C'mon..........a Gerbil????? http://public.srce.hr/XIIIgim/pictures/rodents/gerbil.gif :S

KokiriChild
June 4th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Hey hey hey, don't be dissin' the Gerbil!

Teal'c
June 4th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Sure.........whatever you rat thing or another.......but..........you said that the Jaffa could be free of the Goaul'd by simply not giving a symbiote to the next generation.........this is not posible.............in birthright and that other episode you mentioned the kids get sick when they get their pubes....so they need a symbiote to survive and make them heathy again..........its a method the Goaul'd have used to keep continued slavement of the Jaffa.....

*throws politness out the window*

Congratualtions, you are an idiot. You may have noticed that I said the previous poster was mistake BECAUSE of the reasons I then posted.

And while I'm at this, learn your grammar! You put one period at the end of a sentance and begin the next sentace with an uppercase letter. And your "delicate phrasing" of Jaffa reaching the Age of Prata leads me to believe haven't reached it yet :P

And finally, It's Goa'uld.

KokiriChild
June 4th, 2004, 04:08 PM
OMG, thankyou! I was being too polite to say anything!

anubis3355
June 4th, 2004, 04:15 PM
*throws politness out the window*

Congratualtions, you are an idiot. You may have noticed that I said the previous poster was mistake BECAUSE of the reasons I then posted.

And while I'm at this, learn your grammar! You put one period at the end of a sentance and begin the next sentace with an uppercase letter. And your "delicate phrasing" of Jaffa reaching the Age of Prata leads me to believe haven't reached it yet :P

And finally, It's Goa'uld.

You no good nerd, so who cares if I don't spell out things correctly on a sci-fi online forum? Idiot? I only rephrased the AGE OF WHATNOT differntly..............By the way check out this url

:S http://www.wallpapers.as.ro/animals/black%20cat.jpg

KokiriChild
June 4th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Hahaha, that wallpaper sooo made up for the small piece of flaming!

anubis3355
June 4th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Hahaha, that wallpaper sooo made up for the small piece of flaming!
Thankyou,you. Well, when I finaly do get mom to let me borow her Hatak you can be part of my crew. :S

Teal'c
June 5th, 2004, 05:51 AM
You no good nerd, so who cares if I don't spell out things correctly on a sci-fi online forum? Idiot? I only rephrased the AGE OF WHATNOT differntly..............By the way check out this url

:S http://www.wallpapers.as.ro/animals/black%20cat.jpg
No, I called you an idiot because you didn't read my post properly, and it pissed me off. I called you immature over your phrasing of reaching puberty.

(Note to mods: Sorry to be angry, but I'm a little on edge about something at the moment)

Bagpuss
June 5th, 2004, 06:24 AM
Mainly going with Skydiver's theories at the moment.Also Teal'c's,POV about the Jaffa/Symbiote situation.

I would add more,but obviously some of you Guys are having a hard time being courteous to one another.

Hence I'm outta here! ;)

Skydiver
June 5th, 2004, 06:28 AM
PUtting Mod hat on:

Everyone take a breath, ok????

better now? good :)

Taking mod hat off:

I agree that the show messed up thier continuity. in bloodlines, teal'c believes he can prevent ryac from getting his primta and keep him from being enslaved to the goa'uld. this impled that it was a choice to carry a goauld and that Jaffa could not make that choice, thus living a 'normal' life.

Then in birthright, they did turn a 180 and say that all jaffa, once they enter puberty, have to be hosts. their immune system shuts down and they have to take a primta or die. This is obviously a result of goauld genetic manipulation on the Jaffa.

It's just like, for 5 years, we've always been told and lead to believe that only make jaffa and priestesses carried primta, but then, all of a sudden, dreyac now carries one, or carried that is.

Teal'c
June 5th, 2004, 07:23 AM
PUtting Mod hat on:

Everyone take a breath, ok????

better now? good :)

Taking mod hat off:

I agree that the show messed up thier continuity. in bloodlines, teal'c believes he can prevent ryac from getting his primta and keep him from being enslaved to the goa'uld. this impled that it was a choice to carry a goauld and that Jaffa could not make that choice, thus living a 'normal' life.

Then in birthright, they did turn a 180 and say that all jaffa, once they enter puberty, have to be hosts. their immune system shuts down and they have to take a primta or die. This is obviously a result of goauld genetic manipulation on the Jaffa.

It's just like, for 5 years, we've always been told and lead to believe that only make jaffa and priestesses carried primta, but then, all of a sudden, dreyac now carries one, or carried that is.
But, as I've said, if what Teal'c belived was true then freeing the Jaffa from the Goa'uld would be easy, just don't give anyone symbiotes. Teal'c was wrong, clearly shown as Rya'c was already dying when he got there! :P

Mr Prophet
June 5th, 2004, 07:55 AM
It's odd. I always assumed that all Jaffa carried a prim'ta, male and female; mostly a little thing to do with Drey'auc being about the same age as Teal'c, I guess. I also figured that the glowy device was also the standard way of making a pouch in a Jaffa, and I don't see any reason to think otherwise; I have no problem with assuming that Moloch's Jaffa are different from the Jaffa of Chulak. The Goa'uld have been experimenting on their varied slaves for millennia; no reason all their servants would be of a kind.

So, Chulakan Jaffa are implanted at puberty. Until they undergo the ritual of prim'ta, they have immune systems. Moloch's Jaffa, meanwhile, have been genetically programmed so that their immune system packs up automatically at puberty. It's all part of the merry dance of immoral genetic experimentation that is the Goa'uld path to progress.

Mr Prophet
June 5th, 2004, 08:04 AM
But, as I've said, if what Teal'c belived was true then freeing the Jaffa from the Goa'uld would be easy, just don't give anyone symbiotes. Teal'c was wrong, clearly shown as Rya'c was already dying when he got there! :P

Physically it should be easy, but there's more to it than the physical. Also, Rya'c had scarlet fever; not a condition that is unique to those without immune systems. The only reason Rya'c is dying from it is that the Jaffa have no medicine and he's been sick for months. If they'd got to him earlier, before the priest did the glowy thing over his stomach, he probably could have been saved using simple antibiotics.

Oh; and what really confuses me about the Jaffa is this: How is Teal'c so utterly ripped? He can't possibly do sit ups with a bloody great hole in his abdominals!

Teal'c
June 5th, 2004, 09:29 AM
The condition that people without immune systems have is that they have no immune system, and thus could be killed by the flu or a cold or scarlet fever.

The fact that Tretonin is being pushed as the means to freeing the Jaffa from the Goa'uld shows that all Jaffa need symbiotes to live.

Mr Prophet
June 5th, 2004, 10:15 AM
The condition that people without immune systems have is that they have no immune system, and thus could be killed by the flu or a cold or scarlet fever.

The fact that Tretonin is being pushed as the means to freeing the Jaffa from the Goa'uld shows that all Jaffa need symbiotes to live.

But not having an immune system is not a prerequisite to dying of scarlet fever.

Moreover, for the Jaffa to be free it is the adults who have to be broken out; otherwise you just end up with a population of helpless orphans. For adult Jaffa to be released, an alternative to the prim'ta is required. It is possible that all Jaffa now need a prim'ta at puberty, but if so then it is only for the frankly weak reason that the PTB changed their minds because they thought the idea for Birthright was kind of neat. I'd rather think for as long as possible that the different populations of Jaffa are simply different.