Feature Requests for GateWorld.net

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature Requests for GateWorld.net

I've been coming to GateWorld.net for a long time, looking up episode info, etc. etc., but have only recently signed up for an account in the forums. Anyway, I couldn't find a Forum/Thread for stuff people want to see changed/added to GateWorld.net itself. If there is such a thread, I apologize for starting this new thread.

This site is great, I consider it the only source for SG related info, but there is one thing I have always wanted to see added. As it is now, for each episode, there is a "News and spoilers" section, where the latest news, rumors, or spoilers are added to the bottom. For each Season, there are categories: "Stories", "Characters", and "Miscellaneous" each with the latest entries added at the bottom. However, it would be great if each entry indicated the date on which it was posted. I have found myself reading very old rumors before which had been proven wrong, etc.

Does anyone else agree or care with this suggestion?
    -GuyFromOH
    I'm a guy, from Ohio.
    ------------------------------------
    Teal'c: "Chelnak!"
    Daniel: "Direct translation: Very
    cool!"

I agree, it can get a bit tedious when only after you've actually read the thing do you realise that what you'd read a little earlier contradicted it entirely.

dates would be handy

Comment

Originally posted by Jafana
      I agree, it can get a bit tedious when only after you've actually read the thing do you realise that what you'd read a little earlier contradicted it entirely.

dates would be handy
      How do we get this thread viewed by those who run GateWorld.net?
      -GuyFromOH
      I'm a guy, from Ohio.
      cool!"

Comment

the moderators tend to look over the threads pretty often, so i would imagine if they think it's "worthy" they'll know how to bring it to whoever's attention it needs to be brought to.

Comment

Another way to get your suggestions noticed :

Go to GateWorld Features section.

There's a Poll/comments section here, that's pretty popular and will get you a reply from Darren or David! May take a while for them to reply,but they're usually pretty quick!

"Poll:Gateworld's Features.Are you Happy?" Vote and add your comments.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=713
          The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Just to post something here - adding spoiler tages to the vB interface would be good - something that puts white text inside the tags, with the spoiler in, but a small "reference line" at the top, kinda like:

Spoiler: Season 1 - Solitudes
            ***START***
            They find a second gate in Antarctica
            ***END***

I've seen it done in other boards, it shouldn't be that hard to impliment

Comment

Originally posted by KokiriChild
              Just to post something here - adding spoiler tages to the vB interface would be good - something that puts white text inside the tags, with the spoiler in, but a small "reference line" at the top, kinda like:

Spoiler: Season 1 - Solitudes
              ***START***
              They find a second gate in Antarctica
              ***END***

I've seen it done in other boards, it shouldn't be that hard to impliment
              Excellent idea! I second the motion!

ohh, wait.. this isnt a meeting.

Comment

It's not a meeting but it's a good idea. A spoiler space warning tag. Very good
                __

__

Comment

Originally posted by GuyFromOH
                  I couldn't find a Forum/Thread for stuff people want to see changed/added to GateWorld.net itself.
                  Well, there is, it's called GateWorld Features and I'm going to move your thread in there right away.

As someone else already mentioned Darren and David check this forum out daily and will certainly read your request soon!

Feli
                  GateWorld Moderator

Comment

The only problem with posting spoilers in white text is- as it was pointed out to me (and is nicely illustrated a few posts above)- when someone replies to the post and includes the spoiler, the reply box is pale blue, so the white text will be visible. I use white text and spoiler space interchangeably. I don't think it makes a huge difference as long as there is SOME kind of warning and attempt to protect the unwary.

Comment

Yeah, I know, I was the one who pointed it out to you In other boards they had black background and black text, which could only be read by highliting it.(by background I mean text-background, not the colour of the forum)

Comment

Howdy, Folks!

Definitely a great thread for the GateWorld Features section. Several ideas thrown out here have been discussed before. I'm sure Darren will see the "date tag" concept and consider it. With any luck we'll hear his two cents on this in the thread.

As you will see in an upcoming edition of Letters to the Editor, cloaking the text of spoilers (where you have to highlight to make it appear) has been suggested a lot. I myself pushed for such a change, but then we started getting feedback from folks with WebTV's and unpopular browzers (like the Jurassic Park III browzer). Unfortunately it just would not work out for everyone. But we will still be thinking up ideas with your help, and stick with the yellow-text Spoilers for now.

Spoiler Tags- I proposed to Darren that we install a "Spoiler Space Button" that, when pressed, would automatically insert spoiler space for you, and all you had to do was insert the Season and Episode data. Cool?? We're searching for the proper html tags that will do the trick, but still have not found it. It's definitely something we'd like to install in the forum.

Keep those great ideas popping! Darren and I always have our eyes on these threads . Happy Gating!

Comment

Thanks for the great suggestions, everybody!

- A quick and easy way to make spoiler space easier is definitely on the agenda for the forum, whether that's a button that inserts space, a box for hidden text, or both.

- I'll begin tagging the news and quotes in the episode guide with dates from now on. (Older existing stuff, of course, I don't necessarily have dates for anymore.)

- Wa-hoo!

Keep 'em coming.
                          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

And then there are the nifty spoiler boxes like they have at Gaters.net. Or does that run into a browser problem, too?

You proposed to Darren, eh? Did he say yes? You lucky girl.

Sorry, couldn't resist. hehe

Hey, any chance of getting a timestamp as well as a datestamp? Or was that implied the first time?

Will there ever be "skins" for the forum? I know that's jumping the gun a bit, but I was just wondering if that was one of the things that'd eventually be in the works...

Comment

Originally posted by Darren

- I'll begin tagging the news and quotes in the episode guide with dates from now on. (Older existing stuff, of course, I don't necessarily have dates for anymore.)

Keep 'em coming.
                              Wow, thanks, if I knew it were this easy, I would have posted something like this long ago. D&D, you guys rock
                              -GuyFromOH
                              I'm a guy, from Ohio.
                              cool!"

Comment

Working...
                              X