Enterprise. Season4 should have been season 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enterprise. Season4 should have been season 1

Know its exactly not new news, but having so far watched the first 16 episodes of season 4 im really f***ed off that it was cancelled now. It would have been kinder to pull a bullet in its head at the end of season2 least then i wudnt have beens sorry.

I mean now it has everything going for it

Its breaking with tradition and having bigger (and more) story arcs
    Characters actually have some development
    Story lines are actaully different from TNG
    Its actually the prequel i always wanted it to be.

The last two are the biggest, going to an alien world and pointing out how terriblr they were was fine aboard the flagship of a vast empire (blah "federation" lol), but not when ur a race that has barely left its solar system. Too many find "something and go away" episodes, agian fine if u can simply "dispatch a science ship" but not in the enterprise universe. Now its actually dealing with the thing we all wanted, the birth of the federation. I wanted this from day one, we got some hints such as development of phazers, forcefields, photon topedos but i wanted more!

The real disapointment is they've had to squeeze what could have easily been at least 3season of development into one. Would have been nice to see earth having a higher tech before we started acting life peacemaker, increasing our fleet size etc. Wud have been nice to have seem more politicaal dealinga nd separate allience forming. And lets not forget the Earth/Romulan war.

Jst thought i would vent some of my frustration here

Travel back in time, fire B&B and let Coto run the show, possibly together with JMS

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
      Travel back in time, fire B&B and let Coto run the show, possibly together with JMS
      True. Bermaga were clearly running out of gas with Voyager.

The JMS idea, though, would probably have led to godawful dialogue!

I agree that Season 4 was where the series needed to begin. The show really started hitting on all cylinders... but I disagree about the "jam packed" element. The pace was great, and I think that Coto et. al. could probably have continued cranking out stories along these lines for several years at least... so why slow it down?

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
        True. Bermaga were clearly running out of gas with Voyager.

The JMS idea, though, would probably have led to godawful dialogue!

I agree that Season 4 was where the series needed to begin. The show really started hitting on all cylinders... but I disagree about the "jam packed" element. The pace was great, and I think that Coto et. al. could probably have continued cranking out stories along these lines for several years at least... so why slow it down?
        fair point, but personally i feel that the having two important storys (vucan homeworld+romulan ship) almost back to back didnt leave enough room for the ramifications of the first to filter through more organically. realise they wanted to "finish" th show and it jst a personal preference

Comment

Originally posted by KingofAquitaine
          fair point, but personally i feel that the having two important storys (vucan homeworld+romulan ship) almost back to back didnt leave enough room for the ramifications of the first to filter through more organically. realise they wanted to "finish" th show and it jst a personal preference
          IFF (that's "if and only if") they could have come up with quality shows to fill inbetween, that would be great.

However, you'll note that the fill in episodes of this season haven't been up to the quality level of the arc stories. Observer Effect and Daedalus weren't up to snuff... more of that sort of thing would have drug the season down.

You LIKED this season... so ask yourself why? For me it was the arcs. Perhaps you feel differently about the stand alone eps, though... in which case I'd be happy to hear which of them you felt were strong and why.

Comment

I suppose that is true, however i have found this seasons filler musch more entertaining.

Home for instance, tbh i liked the meaner archer, i liked his character development within the episode. It lost much of that naive "lets all hug" rubblish so prevelent in the first two seasons.. I also enjoyed the hints at earth society (as iv said above i wanted to see more of how we as a planet have progressed.

Ok Daedlus wasnt great, altho i think thats because the "mentor/hero is a disappointment" story angle has really been done to death

I did actually enjoy observer effect, altho i cant really say why. I'd say it was a simply good classic startreck filler EP, does a bit of character backstory, instantly forgetable but u'd (well i wud) watch it again.

But i suppose the 2hour episodes have made this season much better

Comment

hey, if Enterpise hadn't made so many mistakes off the bat, it might have done better. but still, it might have been interesting to place it in the romlan wars era.
              'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

a note to what i said above about filler episodes. Similitude (season 3 - one with the tripp clone) jst screened of Channel4, how bout that for an episode, creating a life to harvest it ^_^ that tone is what they should have been aiming for all along

Comment

They should have had manny in the beginning instead of the blunder twins

Comment

Originally posted by Wandering Tamer
                    hey, if Enterpise hadn't made so many mistakes off the bat, it might have done better. but still, it might have been interesting to place it in the romlan wars era.

your right, enterprise did so many mistakes off the bat, but still interesting series so far. I got my subsription lately and got my copy yesterday morning ( here take a look http://www.tvguide.com/special/startrek/ )

Comment

There's no doubt in my mind that if Enterprise had been like this since season one there's be no cancellation worries, let alone cancellation itself. Out of all the episodes this season, the only ones I didn't like were: "Storm Front" Parts 1 & 2, "Deadalus" and "Bound". That's it. And the two "Storm Fronts" are forgiveable because Bermaga made Manny Coto do it. Thank the Lords of Kobol he decided to totally wrap up the Temporal Cold War and actually do some prequel stories. So not counting the "Storm Fronts", there were only two episodes I didn't like. Compared to the first two seasons combined where I genuinely liked maybe five episodes at the most, this is in insanely huge improvement. I hope the Bermaga realize that they drove the Trek franchise into the ground, and that next time someone like Manny Coto (or Manny himself) is put in charge from the get-go.
                      MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by KingofAquitaine
                        a note to what i said above about filler episodes. Similitude (season 3 - one with the tripp clone) jst screened of Channel4, how bout that for an episode, creating a life to harvest it ^_^ that tone is what they should have been aiming for all along
                        One of the better scifi concepts, and better episodes, of Season 3.

Originally posted by Lexx
                        There's no doubt in my mind that if Enterprise had been like this since season one there's be no cancellation worries, let alone cancellation itself. ... I hope the Bermaga realize that they drove the Trek franchise into the ground, and that next time someone like Manny Coto (or Manny himself) is put in charge from the get-go.
                        Berman's contract regarding Trek expires in a year. Only then can Trek proceed without his stale influence.

Comment

Season Four has been pretty damned good to me, and I agree with Buddha on why, too. The arcs have been excellent. I did enjoy Home, though. I liked Season Three a fair bit, as well. One, huge arc... brilliance, it worked rather well, too. Made the characters have to come out some in order to keep going -- only to find themselves with bigger stories in this final year that have forced them to come out yet again.

If the first two years were anywhere near as good as the last two... man. That would be sweet, and we'd be talking about what the fifth and sixth would be holding in store for us. Too bad.
                          If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Just my opinion, but I do not know if having these S4 eps as the S1 would have made that much of a difference.

First, I tend to agree with a lot of people who talk about 'Trek Fatigue'. Too much of something is not always that good.

Second, Capt. Archer was poorly cast/poorly directed. Scott Bakula is a good actor, but his role as captain is WAY too stiff and one dimensional.

Third, I think Star Trek has gotten to be a little too generic and wholesome. They need to liven it up some. The attempts at sexual inuendo fell very flat. I am not saying they need to throw a much of sex and violence in, but on the other hand this is not Sunday morning TV here. Also, they need to have some more of the characters not so $#%@ self righteous and wholesome. Everyone has a dark side, so show it.

Funny thing is, one reason the so called demise of Star Trek centered around the last movie, Nemesis doing badly at the box-office. Frankly, I thought that was one of the better movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
                              One of the better scifi concepts, and better episodes, of Season 3.
                              yes one of the better sci fi concepts and episodes of star trek. But for me its still one of the interesting sci fan series.

Comment

Working...
                              X