This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does Teal'c always say Daniel Jackson

I just really started watching the show so I don't know why Teal'c always call Daniel Daniel Jackson?

Originally posted by Black Love
    I just really started watching the show so I don't know why Teal'c always call Daniel Daniel Jackson?
    I think it's a sign of respect, Teal'c has an awful lot of respect for Daniel and he doesn't have a military title for him to use as a honourific so he uses the full name instead.
    sigpic

Comment

yeah but get used to it because if you started watching the show than well Teal'c has always said Daniel Jackson
      Lord Zedd

Comment

He always said Jonas Quinn too.

Comment

I think Jonas is the only one Teal'c routinely called by his first name only. I think he and Jonas were close friends because they were both aliens, even though Teal'c wanted nothing to do with the "conspiracy."
          Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

I think Teal'c uses titles in addressing members of the team out of respect. It must have been something he learned while studying with Bra'tac.

Comment

Originally posted by girlgater
              I think Teal'c uses titles in addressing members of the team out of respect. It must have been something he learned while studying with Bra'tac. -girlgater
              Master Bra'tac
              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
              love Torri

Comment

As has been said; it is a sign of respect, and because Daniel doesn't have any rank.

Also, I think it is a plot device to keep his character as the formal and noble hero of his people. He is always rigid and I think this just makes his character that much more implacable.
                The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic - Stalin
                The viewpoint of one person is not the viewpoint of all - ShadowMaat
                Dulce et Decorum est pro patria mori - Horace
                All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke
                Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something - Plato
                An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi
                Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake - Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                  Master Bra'tac
                  Indeed

Comment

He called Daniel's grandfather 'Nicholas Ballard' too. He probably can't get out of the habit of doing it as a sign of respect (after all, he did it for almost a hundred years on Chulak!).

Comment

Originally posted by _Anubis
                      yeah but get used to it because if you started watching the show than well Teal'c has always said Daniel Jackson
                      Except one time! Broca Divide. Right after the Touched snatch Daniel, he hollers for "Daniel" not "DanielJackson". There's trivia for ya.

Comment

Originally posted by blingaway
                        Except one time! Broca Divide. Right after the Touched snatch Daniel, he hollers for "Daniel" not "DanielJackson". There's trivia for ya.
                        Bling, you are a mine of useless information.
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks all.

Comment

Well, doesn't he always call Jack "O'Neill" and never by his rank?
                            'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Wandering Tamer
                              Well, doesn't he always call Jack "O'Neill" and never by his rank?
                              I'm going to venture a guess, and say Teal'c uses formal address with superiors and subordinates, but is slightly less formal with someone he considers an equal...

Comment

Working...
                              X