PDA

View Full Version : Why does Teal'c always say Daniel Jackson

Black Love
April 15th, 2005, 07:52 PM
I just really started watching the show so I don't know why Teal'c always call Daniel Daniel Jackson?

Frostfox
April 15th, 2005, 11:34 PM
I just really started watching the show so I don't know why Teal'c always call Daniel Daniel Jackson?

I think it's a sign of respect, Teal'c has an awful lot of respect for Daniel and he doesn't have a military title for him to use as a honourific so he uses the full name instead.

Lord Zedd
April 15th, 2005, 11:45 PM
yeah but get used to it because if you started watching the show than well Teal'c has always said Daniel Jackson

Hywel
April 16th, 2005, 12:31 AM
He always said Jonas Quinn too.

Major Tyler
April 16th, 2005, 04:13 AM
I think Jonas is the only one Teal'c routinely called by his first name only. I think he and Jonas were close friends because they were both aliens, even though Teal'c wanted nothing to do with the "conspiracy." :)

girlgater
April 16th, 2005, 04:43 AM
I think Teal'c uses titles in addressing members of the team out of respect. It must have been something he learned while studying with Bra'tac.

Qasim
April 16th, 2005, 04:49 AM
I think Teal'c uses titles in addressing members of the team out of respect. It must have been something he learned while studying with Bra'tac. -girlgaterMaster Bra'tac

Cronus
April 16th, 2005, 04:52 AM
As has been said; it is a sign of respect, and because Daniel doesn't have any rank.

Also, I think it is a plot device to keep his character as the formal and noble hero of his people. He is always rigid and I think this just makes his character that much more implacable. :D

girlgater
April 16th, 2005, 04:52 AM
Master Bra'tac

Indeed

Hywel
April 16th, 2005, 04:53 AM
He called Daniel's grandfather 'Nicholas Ballard' too. He probably can't get out of the habit of doing it as a sign of respect (after all, he did it for almost a hundred years on Chulak!).

blingaway
April 16th, 2005, 04:54 AM
yeah but get used to it because if you started watching the show than well Teal'c has always said Daniel Jackson

Except one time! Broca Divide. Right after the Touched snatch Daniel, he hollers for "Daniel" not "DanielJackson". There's trivia for ya. :)

Frostfox
April 16th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Except one time! Broca Divide. Right after the Touched snatch Daniel, he hollers for "Daniel" not "DanielJackson". There's trivia for ya. :)

Bling, you are a mine of useless information.

Black Love
April 16th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Thanks all. :)

Wandering Tamer
April 16th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Well, doesn't he always call Jack "O'Neill" and never by his rank?

blingaway
April 17th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Well, doesn't he always call Jack "O'Neill" and never by his rank?

I'm going to venture a guess, and say Teal'c uses formal address with superiors and subordinates, but is slightly less formal with someone he considers an equal...http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/dontknow.gif

Kip_Cathey_Furlings_are_Cats
April 17th, 2005, 08:52 AM
They actually talked about this once before...

Jack asked Teal'c why he did that, and Teal'c commented that it was the highest form of respect, or something along those lines.

Although, if you want an answer from someone who knows something, unlike me, I suggest heading over to the Ask Joe Malloizi thread. It's in General Discusion, and it's a sticky. Enjoy!