PDA

View Full Version : Comparing the prometheus to the battlestar galatica

thor's first prime
April 14th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Comparing the prometheus to the battlestar galatica. The prometheus would win outright as they have asgard shields where as the galatic has nothing to defend itself.

Grin
April 14th, 2005, 12:30 AM
Galactica has a fair bit of fighters which would, to be fair easily destroy the X3-02's. Battlestar Galactica has quite powerful weapons! and nuclear warheads! Although SG-1's the superior programme:P

Panther
April 14th, 2005, 01:33 AM
Don't forget that thing is a huge mofo of a mothership while the prometheus is essentially lean in it's trimmings.

Blue Banrigh
April 14th, 2005, 07:44 AM
I think the Prometheus is more high tech, and so are the F-302s compared to the Vipers. The F-302s have the hyperspace engines and inertial dampeners, the Vipers don't have those things.

Qasim
April 14th, 2005, 07:51 AM
The daedalus would win

Qtyled
April 14th, 2005, 08:45 AM
^ The spoilers will NEVER win! As long as I'm on watch.

Ses
April 14th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Battlestar Galactica is bigger... size matters

Blue Banrigh
April 14th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Think the Prometheus is small enough it could fit into one of Galactica's landing pods/bays?

lionel_pendergast_rocks
April 14th, 2005, 09:00 AM
i dont think it's that small.

as far as who would win in a battle, galactica can pump out an impressive wall of anti-fighter flak, so if any of the 302's on board the prommie were caught in that, well, that would be the end of them. but the big difference is in the shields. the shields on the prommie can withstand the force of multiple nukes, as seen in lost city part 2, and seeing that goa'uld blasts from orbit are about that powerful. the bsg has no shields, leaving it vulnerable to any attack. but then again, we have seen it withstand a single nuke attack. (in the miniseries). but the prommie would win for these reasons:
- superior defense
- smaller, which means it's more agile than the BSG
- more advanced weapons

aeromathlete
April 14th, 2005, 09:03 AM
i dont think it's that small.

as far as who would win in a battle, galactica can pump out an impressive wall of anti-fighter flak, so if any of the 302's on board the prommie were caught in that, well, that would be the end of them. but the big difference is in the shields. the shields on the prommie can withstand the force of multiple nukes, as seen in lost city part 2, and seeing that goa'uld blasts from orbit are about that powerful. the bsg has no shields, leaving it vulnerable to any attack. but then again, we have seen it withstand a single nuke attack. (in the miniseries). but the prommie would win for these reasons:
- superior defense
- smaller, which means it's more agile than the BSG
- more advanced weapons

what lionel said =^..^=

Commander Aegir
April 14th, 2005, 10:40 AM
but Galactica has those huge massive turret guns on top and more fighter aircraft than the Prometheus but the Prometheus is smaller and more manuverable. The Galctica would have to destroy Prometheus from a distance because it would have to turn the whole ship round to fire if the Prometheus got underneath.

MartoufMarty
April 14th, 2005, 11:16 AM
The Galactica could so kick the Prometheus' ass.

The Prometheus is a piece of junk in my opinion lol.

cobraR478
April 14th, 2005, 12:20 PM
shields pwn no shields.

Stargate technology seems to be much better than technology from other shows. Heck, we've seen ha'taks blasted into other galaxies by an exploding sun. O.o

Panther
April 14th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Perhaps this would be asking who would win in a duel? A carrier or a cruiser?

Darth Buddha
April 14th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Different theories of physics are involved, so we are really talking apples and oranges.

Why fanwank questions like this appeal is wholly beyond me.

A better question would be:

Which is more believable under current physics: Prometheus or BSG?

There at least you have a standard ruler.

Panther
April 14th, 2005, 03:58 PM
In that case it's BSG.

aAnubiSs
April 14th, 2005, 03:58 PM
How much do we know about BSG's power system and FTL-method?

Panther
April 14th, 2005, 04:02 PM
If IIRC, the BSGs jump system is based on the Einstein-Rosenberg theory of folding space, while in SG the FTL is based on opening up a window to another dimension ("Hyperspace") where FTL travel is possible but not instantaneous.

gatelover12
April 14th, 2005, 04:06 PM
The Prometheus Frelling RULES! Besides the prommie just has to shoot the BSG's water tanks and wait for the BSG crew to die! :D

Blue Banrigh
April 14th, 2005, 04:07 PM
but Galactica has those huge massive turret guns on top and more fighter aircraft than the Prometheus but the Prometheus is smaller and more manuverable. The Galctica would have to destroy Prometheus from a distance because it would have to turn the whole ship round to fire if the Prometheus got underneath.
The Galactica also has four rail guns positioned on her underside.

TheGreatLordGeorge
April 15th, 2005, 08:09 AM
the prommie b/c the bsg has no shields. and the prommie has nukes rail guns energy weapons and reg. missles. it is also smaller and can manuever better. with the asgard transporter they can also beam aboard and take over the ship from the inside

Thor's Pal
April 15th, 2005, 08:40 AM
I'm sorry, but as much as I like Stargate- I think BSG would win. They know it doesn't have shields- so it has been properly arrored, the rate of fire that BSG has and can sustane it, and the Vipers will keep the 302 very busy- again because of the fact that they don't have intial dampereners, they are very good with what they do have (also, the Cylon radiers do look very similar to the 302).

I must say, BSG does have the most realisitic space flying scenes- they don't fly around like they do on earth, they hit thrustors and coste.

TheGreatLordGeorge
April 15th, 2005, 12:12 PM
ya but he bsg is just big, it does not have the technological advances the promie has

cobraR478
April 15th, 2005, 12:29 PM
I don't see how a ship with no shields could even compare to a ship with the shields of Promie's caliber.

DAL SHAKKA MEL
April 15th, 2005, 12:55 PM
The other thread seams to focus strickly on the new Battlestar Galactica, so I decided to makle a new one about the original and beter BSG.

In a fight, who would win promie or bsg?

I say bsg, because from what we saw in the series, that thing can take a beating, plus its forward lasers could take out the promie in like 2 shots.

Macharius0
April 15th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Here's a thought.

Round 1: Galactica launches all her Vipers, then puts up a wall of flak from her onboard weapons. Prometheus uses her Asgard transporter to beam the Vipers aboard, or their pilots back onto the Galactica. All the while she's out of Galactica's firing range.

Round 2: Prometheus beams Galactica's reactor into her cargo hold, then the bridge crew. After that she jumps into hyperspace and heads for home. The Galactica's now on emergency battery power and has no command staff.

Winner: Prometheus, without a scratch, plus Carter's now got a Tylium reactor to study, along with an entire wing of Vipers.

Moral: DON'T SCREW AROUND WITH THE ASGARD! Or anyone with their technology.

Blue Banrigh
April 15th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Here's a thought.

Round 1: Galactica launches all her Vipers, then puts up a wall of flak from her onboard weapons. Prometheus uses her Asgard transporter to beam the Vipers aboard, or their pilots back onto the Galactica. All the while she's out of Galactica's firing range.

Round 2: Prometheus beams Galactica's reactor into her cargo hold, then the bridge crew. After that she jumps into hyperspace and heads for home. The Galactica's now on emergency battery power and has no command staff.

Winner: Prometheus, without a scratch, plus Carter's now got a Tylium reactor to study, along with an entire wing of Vipers.

Moral: DON'T SCREW AROUND WITH THE ASGARD! Or anyone with their technology.
But then you need to tag all the vipers, the reactor/engine and the command staff so that the Prometheus can beam them aboard. And if the Prometheus is about the size of Colonial One, then the engines of the Galactica, may very well be bigger than the ship. :D

As for the water tanks, it was designed to withstand explosions from the outside, not interior explosions. The ship survived a nuke so it must be damn hardy.

SGTLopez
April 15th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Perhaps this would be asking who would win in a duel? A carrier or a cruiser?

More like, who would win? a Bomber or a fighter bomber?

cobraR478
April 15th, 2005, 07:24 PM
As for the water tanks, it was designed to withstand explosions from the outside, not interior explosions. The ship survived a nuke so it must be damn hardy.
A nuke in space wouldn't do all that much compared to a nuke in an atmosphere.

FitzFG
April 15th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Prometheus wins...no contest. Galactica can be taken down by missiles...it has no shields. In the Season 1 finale(SG-1), the shields on Apophis's ship stood up to a hit by an advanced nuke. Prometheus has shields designed by the Asgard, which are significantly better than Apophis was ever capable of.

Darth Buddha
April 16th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Personally I think the Smurfs would slaughter the Ewoks.

immhotep
April 16th, 2005, 12:14 AM
i agree but the smurfs might need to get hold of some yoda light sabers.

jmac
April 16th, 2005, 09:47 AM
my vote's for the wookies

Macharius0
April 16th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Here's one then. Wookies vs. Tusken Raiders?

Darth Buddha
April 16th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Here's one then. Wookies vs. Tusken Raiders?
Hmmm... if it rained, would the Tusken Raider's heads turn to mud?

Would the Wookies smell like wet dog?

~Thor~
April 17th, 2005, 04:48 AM
[QUOTE=Blue Banrigh]But then you need to tag all the vipers, the reactor/engine and the command staff so that the Prometheus can beam them aboard. [QUOTE]

Na, because the Asgard installed their sensor thingy's (so they can beam stuff up without tagging it) along with the hyperdrive (i think it was a B'Day pressent for the president)

Unas
April 17th, 2005, 05:07 AM
First off, I destest threads with "versus" in the title. It brings out the worst stereotypes of fandom. This isnt exclusive to genre fandom of course. I roll my eyes everytime that show appears on the animal planet comparing which is the stronger animal. How can you REALLY compare animals that live in completely separate environments? No amount of computer sims will prove that an elephant is stronger than a whale or vice-versa.

I do agree the Prommie will win simply because its tech is magic. BSG vs Prommie is like an aircraft carrier versus Gandalf from LotR. Sure a nuclear powered carrier is impressive with its array of modern weapons but Gandalf is a wizard. He'll just conjure up a hurricane or something.

BSG writers strive for realism more so than SG1 writers, hence the gap. Using this reasoning, Star Trek ships are even more powerful since it is less realistic. Think holodecks and software that is so good you can fix practically anything with a button while rarely replacing physical parts. On the other hand, ships from 2001: A Space Odyssey which stresses extreme realism are weaker:rotating sections, physical repair, no inertial dampeners, and sublight speed. The physics on all these shows are different and it is these physics that determine "strength".

Macilnar
April 17th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Prometheus would win. And here is why: Prometheus uses the Asgard sensors to locate the Battlestar Galatica’s reactors then beams a naquadria enhanced nuclear war head right next to Galatica's reactor the naquadria nuclear war goes of and there is no more Galatica. End of story. Any takers?

http://wiki.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/images/4/40/61107.jpg
Who's your Daddy?!

Anubis69
April 17th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Prommie all the way. BSG's best chance would be if it destroyed the F-302's with the vipers. but that's unlikely given how badly all the Al'kesh and death gliders got dominated by the F-302's in lost city! it was just one huge stream of missiles. although, the vipers are pretty manoevrable. but id still say, the prometheus due to it's uber shields, new weapons, and all round ability!!

Macilnar
April 23rd, 2005, 05:03 PM
True, so true :cool:

lethalfang
April 23rd, 2005, 07:26 PM
Vipers are irrelevent. The Vipers can shoot the Prometheus all day, and it won't make a dent on the Asgard shield. Ditto conventional nuclear warheads.

Macilnar
April 24th, 2005, 09:31 AM
And if all else fails the SGC sends in the Daedalus which would whip the floor with the Battlestar Galatica or a single PJ might be able to take out the Battlestar Galatica with its drones. Also once we have 3 ZPMs and replenished the drones we send in Atlantis, ya you know it :cool:

dennycrane
April 24th, 2005, 01:23 PM
If I remember correctly, the prommie has these misiles that can generate a hyperspace window so that they can jump through the gould shields. BSG's AA fire is rendered useless and we sudenly see fireworks from our naquadah enhanced nukes sending cap. Adama and all of them to Sokar

dennycrane
April 24th, 2005, 01:29 PM
if all else fails, download a virus to the BSG and throw in a nuke

Macilnar
April 24th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Also drones would not be affected by AA fire too... :D

Anubis69
April 24th, 2005, 01:35 PM
if all else fails, download a virus to the BSG and throw in a nuke
Download a virus into the mothership, that gives me an idea............. :D :rolleyes:

dennycrane
April 24th, 2005, 01:36 PM
yea, but we don't seem to have them, yet...

dennycrane
April 24th, 2005, 01:37 PM
were's will smith when you need him

Anubis69
April 24th, 2005, 01:39 PM
yea, but we don't seem to have them, yet...
We'll see........

all we need is jeff goldblum, bill paxton/pullman (whichever one it was) and will smith to pilot the F-302!

Macilnar
April 24th, 2005, 01:42 PM
were's will smith when you need him

"Ya this is Will Smith. I am not in right now. I am out kicking some alien ***" :D

dennycrane
April 24th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Nahhhhhhhhhhhhh lets just blow up a sun and get it over with. If we get them right out of FTL jump they're gone

Anubis69
April 24th, 2005, 01:45 PM
yeah, but they've got the instantaneous "jump" thing. worth a try though, i mean, blowing up a sun, that could never get old!!!

dennycrane
April 24th, 2005, 01:45 PM
I just love blowing stuf up, doesn't everyone?

Macilnar
April 24th, 2005, 01:56 PM
How to destroy the Battlestar Galatica:

Step 1) Take one flying city with kickass tech. (ie. Atlantis)

Step 2) Make sure said city is fully stocked (ie. with drones, PJs and who knows what else).

Step 3) Take 3 full ZPMs and plug them into said city.

Step 4) Have said city take off and raise shields.

Step 5) Sit in said city's control chair.

Step 6) Use your mind and launch drones at Battlestar Galatica.

Step 7) Repeat step 6 if need be.

Step 8) Sit back and watch the fire works :cool:

And that is how to destroy the Battlestar Galatica. Have a nice day.

Darth Buddha
April 24th, 2005, 02:47 PM
First off, I destest threads with "versus" in the title. It brings out the worst stereotypes of fandom. This isnt exclusive to genre fandom of course. I roll my eyes everytime that show appears on the animal planet comparing which is the stronger animal. How can you REALLY compare animals that live in completely separate environments? No amount of computer sims will prove that an elephant is stronger than a whale or vice-versa.
Yep... one of the stereotypes that makes folks like Bonnie Hammer at scifi think that fans have no taste or sense. No wonder scifi doesn't get any respect!

_Owen_
April 24th, 2005, 06:22 PM
How to destroy the Battlestar Galatica:

Step 1) Take one flying city with kickass tech. (ie. Atlantis)

Step 2) Make sure said city is fully stocked (ie. with drones, PJs and who knows what else).

Step 3) Take 3 full ZPMs and plug them into said city.

Step 4) Have said city take off and raise shields.

Step 5) Sit in said city's control chair.

Step 6) Use your mind and launch drones at Battlestar Galatica.

Step 7) Repeat step 6 if need be.

Step 8) Sit back and watch the fire works :cool:

And that is how to destroy the Battlestar Galatica. Have a nice day.
Or you could overload the power grid, causing it power supply to explode, then it would be without power, and you just give it a little nudge with your ship, in the direction of the nearest star. its inertia will carry it directly into the star unless, it is effected be someone else or another gravitational body.

but that would work for any ship.

Owen Macri

Macilnar
April 24th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Or you could overload the power grid, causing it power supply to explode, then it would be without power, and you just give it a little nudge with your ship, in the direction of the nearest star. its inertia will carry it directly into the star unless, it is effected be someone else or another gravitational body.

but that would work for any ship.

Owen Macri

That too...

_Owen_
April 24th, 2005, 06:33 PM
lol

Anubis69
April 25th, 2005, 06:03 AM
That's a little anti-climactic though!! there's nothing exciting about watching a ship drift into the nearest star millions of miles away........ :P

Gothann
April 25th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Something everyone here is failing to notice is that if you were to take Human-made versions of each ship (Prometheus being only reverse-engineered Goa'uld parts, not Asgard upgraded) then the BSG would win.

Besides, you're comparing two different races. If you were to put the Prometheus up against any other Sci-Fi series ship, they'd lose because they have millions of years worth of technological advances to the basic systems of the Prometheus (shields, weapons, transportation)

Macilnar
April 25th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Something everyone here is failing to notice is that if you were to take Human-made versions of each ship (Prometheus being only reverse-engineered Goa'uld parts, not Asgard upgraded) then the BSG would win.

Besides, you're comparing two different races. If you were to put the Prometheus up against any other Sci-Fi series ship, they'd lose because they have millions of years worth of technological advances to the basic systems of the Prometheus (shields, weapons, transportation)

True but then BSG is not an Earth ship is it. And while the people of BSG are human, they may not be of the same genetic make-up. Take Jonas (SG1) for one he is human, and yet he isn't. As to Prometheus losing read my other post:

Prometheus would win. And here is why: Prometheus uses the Asgard sensors to locate the Battlestar Galatica’s reactors then beams a naquadria enhanced nuclear war head right next to Galatica's reactor the naquadria nuclear war goes of and there is no more Galatica. End of story. Any takers?

http://wiki.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/images/4/40/61107.jpg
Who's your Daddy?!

dennycrane
April 25th, 2005, 12:59 PM
In any case, it only takes one x-302 to make a tiny hyperspace jump just in front of the BSG's bridge to shoot with a big honking space gun and it's over

alaskannut
April 25th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Which ship would win the battle would depend on which show the crossover occured on and thus which ship needed to survive to bear the heroes to their next adventure ;) ...it it happened on SG-1, the Prometheus would handily defeat BSG in the nick of time and with great drama ;) , if it happened on BSG, it would bring those Coil-gun turrets to bear on the Prommie/Daedalus and waste it. If it happened on SGA, the Daedalus would pop out of hyperspace right next to BSG, fire a salvo into it and transport a nuke aboard, then jump out..or that failing, call in the Puddlejumpers.

alaskannut
April 25th, 2005, 03:11 PM
I just love blowing stuf up, doesn't everyone?
Hell's yeah boy...pass that nuke on over here!! :D :eek:

Gothann
April 25th, 2005, 06:51 PM
True but then BSG is not an Earth ship is it. And while the people of BSG are human, they may not be of the same genetic make-up. Take Jonas (SG1) for one he is human, and yet he isn't. As to Prometheus losing read my other post:
You yet again missed my point. Without the Asgard modifications, the Prometheus very much weak. Worse yet, the Prometheus from Seasons 6/7 had the fatal flaw of not being able to have stable hyperdrive.

As for the "genetic makeup" stuff I've heard, it has no bearing on what we're talking about. We're talking about humanoids that stem from primeapes. Last I checked, the Colonials were from the same base genetic gene pool as those from Earth (both BSG storylines)

Besides, with such a small amount of time, evolution couldn't have been forced too far in any direction in order to make the colonials dramatically different in their level of intelligence than to that of humans from Earth.

dennycrane
May 13th, 2005, 04:29 PM
No matter, with enough coca-cola and pizza (we all know coke and pizza are brain food)to fuel our study groups, well catch up.

_Owen_
May 13th, 2005, 07:23 PM
The BSG or any other ship would not necesarily win, if The Prometheus knew exactly what the weakneses of the opposing ship they could destroy it, unless they used my redundant shields and inertial dampers.

Owen Macri

dennycrane
May 14th, 2005, 10:54 AM
People, seriously, all that the prommie crew has to do is beam McKay over to the galactica and they will self-destruct. That ought to teach him how valuable he is. Arrogant sissy scientist

_Owen_
May 14th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Lol, or the could simply use thier Asgard transporters to beam the entire BSG crew out and into the vaccum of space, that would work.

Owen Macri

Evil_Genius_McKay
January 2nd, 2008, 07:51 AM
BSG Weaponry

24 twin cannon railgun turrets
504 twin cannon Point-defense turrets. rapid firing, automatic solid-slug projectors

8 squadrons(20 ships each) of Viper Mark IIs or MkVIIs Another 20 on reserve.
8 raptors

Unknown number of nuclear warheads(unknown yield)

Not to mention that since the steel or whatever Galactica is made from isn't from the SG universe it could be composed of elements that would prevent beaming, who knows. It has a lot of armor enough to withstand direct nuclear hits.

I'm going to have to go with the BSG here.

Crazy Tom
January 2nd, 2008, 08:29 AM
promie would win because it's shield can take enough punishment for it to launch nukes and missles.

it's gonna be close tho, the battlestar has just so many guns it would seriously drain the shields.

Evil_Genius_McKay
January 2nd, 2008, 10:12 AM
promie would win because it's shield can take enough punishment for it to launch nukes and missles.

it's gonna be close tho, the battlestar has just so many guns it would seriously drain the shields.

After the vipers wiped out the 302s they could shoot down any nuke headed for Galactica that and the anti-missile flak field which is a major defense of the Galactica.

Crazy Tom
January 2nd, 2008, 11:23 AM
After the vipers wiped out the 302s they could shoot down any nuke headed for Galactica that and the anti-missile flak field which is a major defense of the Galactica.

not belw the ship, and the fighters can't shoot down all the missles.

s09119
January 2nd, 2008, 11:31 AM

Um... I'd just (all nukes are naquadah/naqhadriah-enhanced):

a.) Beam a nuke inside the ship (nothing suggests Galactica's hull is resistant to beaming, or anything besides normal alloys, that's pure fanwank at best)
b.) Beam a dozen nukes one foot above Galactica's hull, all set to go off in 2 seconds. The simultaneous detonations would rip through the hull and destroy the ship, or at least a large portion of it.
c.) Mount nukes to all the F-302s and have them launch. Have the Prometheus lay down railgun cover fire, taking out Vipers as it could, until the 302s can open hyperspace windows... for a short jump to under the Galactica. The fighters release their nukes and hyper-jump away, leaving the Battlestar to explode.

Crazy Tom
January 2nd, 2008, 11:33 AM

a.) Beam a nuke inside the ship (nothing suggests Galactica's hull is resistant to beaming, or anything besides normal alloys, that's pure fanwank at best)
b.) Beam a dozen nukes one foot above Galactica's hull, all set to go off in 2 seconds. The simultaneous detonations would rip through the hull and destroy the ship, or at least a large portion of it.
c.) Mount nukes to all the F-302s and have them launch. Have the Prometheus lay down railgun cover fire, taking out Vipers as it could, until the 302s can open hyperspace windows... for a short jump to under the Galactica. The fighters release their nukes and hyper-jump away, leaving the Battlestar to explode.

d. beam a nuke inside the galactica and enjoy the fireworks:cool:

s09119
January 2nd, 2008, 11:37 AM
d. beam a nuke inside the galactica and enjoy the fireworks:cool:

That was option a.) haha

Evil_Genius_McKay
January 2nd, 2008, 12:39 PM

The Prometheus doesn't have nearly as many railguns as Galactica. Besides beaming can be jammed anyways, so nothing says it couldn't be jammed by a Battlestar. Most all vs. threads between a stargate ship and a ship from another universe is predicated on beaming nuke warheads in and around the ship, which I think is really cheap. If it is possible to beam a nuke onto any ship in any universe then any Tau'ri ship could beat anything, which is a bunch of crap IMO.

Crazy Tom
January 2nd, 2008, 12:48 PM
The Prometheus doesn't have nearly as many railguns as Galactica. Besides beaming can be jammed anyways, so nothing says it couldn't be jammed by a Battlestar. Most all vs. threads between a stargate ship and a ship from another universe is predicated on beaming nuke warheads in and around the ship, which I think is really cheap. If it is possible to beam a nuke onto any ship in any universe then any Tau'ri ship could beat anything, which is a bunch of crap IMO.

it's ususly imposible because the enemy ship s shileded, Galactica isn't. period.

s09119
January 2nd, 2008, 12:55 PM

Why is beaming next to a ship cheap? It's a viable tactic and one I would use in a heartbeat if I couldn't beam inside an enemy vessel; I think they've even done similar things in Star Trek with transporters.

But so what? That tactic wouldn't allow Tau'ri ships to beat anything, just things that don't have shielding.

Evil_Genius_McKay
January 2nd, 2008, 01:09 PM
Why is beaming next to a ship cheap? It's a viable tactic and one I would use in a heartbeat if I couldn't beam inside an enemy vessel; I think they've even done similar things in Star Trek with transporters.

But so what? That tactic wouldn't allow Tau'ri ships to beat anything, just things that don't have shielding.

I just don't want to see it over-used that's all. When it becomes your only tactic is when it is cheap and boring. Star Trek you couldn't beam with through shields unless they had a certain frequency and it was rarely used as weapons option. But we've seen the Daedalus beam through shields during battle.

s09119
January 2nd, 2008, 01:10 PM
I just don't want to see it over-used that's all. When it becomes your only tactic is when it is cheap and boring. Star Trek you couldn't beam with through shields unless they had a certain frequency and it was rarely used as weapons option. But we've seen the Daedalus beam through shields during battle.

...when?

Evil_Genius_McKay
January 2nd, 2008, 02:29 PM
...when?

Ugh, ok the Daedalus has shields, we have seen them beam through their own shields during battle. So logically, if they can beam through their own shields while engaged in battle then they can probably beam through other shields as well. It is probably only a matter of finding the right shield frequency, or they can just beam through shields.

mickhhh
January 2nd, 2008, 02:51 PM

let me no if i am wroge but i dont think we have seen it beam through shields. when i say this i mean energy shields.

2ndgenerationalteran
January 2nd, 2008, 03:22 PM
only shiled beamed through was atlantis's odd but its seemingly the only way to explain some events in first strike. That is the only occurances as far as i can remember

s09119
January 2nd, 2008, 03:30 PM
Ugh, ok the Daedalus has shields, we have seen them beam through their own shields during battle. So logically, if they can beam through their own shields while engaged in battle then they can probably beam through other shields as well. It is probably only a matter of finding the right shield frequency, or they can just beam through shields.

Maybe they dropped their shields for a microsecond while the beam went out...? But that's their shields, not shields of an alien design and configuration.

Evil_Genius_McKay
January 2nd, 2008, 04:27 PM
Maybe they dropped their shields for a microsecond while the beam went out...? But that's their shields, not shields of an alien design and configuration.

Right I'm talking about their own energy shields. But energy shields are energy shields. They have the same basic concept. Like when you see a ship enter hyperspace it pretty much looks the same whether it be a wraith hive ship, Daedalus or Aurora class. Hyperdrive tech is still rooted in a common denominator.

watching First Strike again now. Weir says raise the shields, then tells Sheppard to tell Ellis to get back to the ship then you see him on the ship in orbit, gate weapon attacks and later he is back on Atlantis and they never dropped the shields so he got through somehow, since we've seen the shield hold back water later in same episode he had to beam in because you can't fly through it. Ok the last time we see Ellis they are under water submerged on bottom with shield on being attacked and Sheppard tells Ellis he wants him to beam up and tell Major Lauren to move the asteroid, so he did beam through the Ancient shields which are not made by the Asgard. To me I count that as being able to beam through Alien shields.

jhkplaya888
January 2nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
maybe its like star treks shields with the proper frequency you can beam through

Crazy Tom
January 3rd, 2008, 06:45 AM
maybe its like star treks shields with the proper frequency you can beam through

if it were a frequency thing then atlantis would have beeen shreded by the beam.

Evil_Genius_McKay
January 3rd, 2008, 01:03 PM
if it were a frequency thing then atlantis would have beeen shreded by the beam.

Maybe, maybe not. You would have to have the right frequency

s09119
January 3rd, 2008, 01:05 PM
Maybe, maybe not. You would have to have the right frequency

Okay, Asurans' knowledge = Lanteans' knowledge.

Lanteans = builders of Atlantis and designers of the cityshield.

Since (Lanteans = Asurans), then the Asurans would've known what frequency to shift to in order to blast through the shield. Since they didn't we can assume that isn't the answer.

ha'tak_
January 3rd, 2008, 01:39 PM
x-303 whould not win a battlestar

x-304 (whit asgard thec) whould win a battlestar

JSPuddlejumper
January 4th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Ha'tak's have survived direct nuke attacks.

So I am sure the Promethus shields will survive the nukes the Galatica sends at it.

But if the Prometheus decides to nuke the Galactica...it is all over.

The rail guns will do only some damage to the Galactica.

Galactica is outclassed due to shields.

Buba uognarf
January 4th, 2008, 05:43 AM
The thing is I'm not sure how effective either of the two's weapons would be on each other. Battlestar's weapons will do virtually nothing to the Asgard shields of the Prometheus but the point defense of galactic will prevent nukes from being hitting the hull unless beaming is used.

If I was the Prometheus I would destroy Galactic by ramming it lol.

jonos101
January 4th, 2008, 05:27 PM
The thing is I'm not sure how effective either of the two's weapons would be on each other. Battlestar's weapons will do virtually nothing to the Asgard shields of the Prometheus but the point defense of galactic will prevent nukes from being hitting the hull unless beaming is used.

If I was the Prometheus I would destroy Galactic by ramming it lol.

well thats one way LOL

Ouroboros
January 4th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Beaming a nuke into another ship is something the Asguard Hermiod had to enable in order for it to start being used on the Wraith.

DAEDALUS. BRIDGE. The second set of warheads also fail to destroy the hive ship.
SHEPPARD: Well, now we’re 0 for 2. How many of these things have you got?
CALDWELL: Only one needs to get through.
SHEPPARD: Is there any way we can deliver a warhead the same way you plucked me out of the Jumper?
CALDWELL: The Asgard have already considered that, Major. There are failsafes built into the system to prevent their use as a weapons delivery system.
SHEPPARD: You’ve got one of these Asgard on board? Can he override the failsafe?
CALDWELL: Why would he do that?
SHEPPARD: Well, his butt’s on the line just as much as ours.
(Caldwell thinks about it for a moment, then activates the comms.)
CALDWELL: Novak, I need you and Hermiod to figure out how to get a site-to-site transport lock on a set of co-ordinates inside the hive ship.
(In Engineering, Novak murmurs nervously into her mike.)
NOVAK: No-no-no-no-no-no. Sir, Hermiod isn’t gonna like that.
CALDWELL: Get it done, Doctor, that’s an order.

It's more than likely that the ability to beam a nuke into an enemy ship would still be locked out of the prometheus' transporter via the Asguard safeguards.

Since they're not going to be able to get the easy win on the Galactica they're going to have to do it the old fashioned way, with their missiles.

Given that the type of missiles used by the SGC, even on the newer 304 class, have trouble getting through to hit a hive, which has no dedicated point defense weapons and is the size of a city, I don't find that likely. The galactica, by contrast to a hive, is studded with flak guns and and rapid firing machingun type anti fighter/missile turrets and it's also got fighters that are much more suited to intercepting missiles than darts.

Given that BSG ships trade shells the size of Hondas it's not going to have much to worry about from the prometheus railguns either, which are pretty much the same thing as it's own machinegun like anti fighter guns.

Now the question is though whether the galactica can threaten the prometheus back.

I don't think nukes will get the job done, even though we do know it has multiple silos now. The Prometheus has shields that are probably at least half as good as the ones on the Daedalus which should let it eat more than a few megaton level nuclear weapons.

What might be a problem for it though is galactica's large capital scale railguns. While they don't pack the same amount of raw energy as nukes they do have momentum on their side and this seems to be something that a lot of stargate shields have a problem with for some reason.

If you rememebr "beachead"

MARKS: Multiple contacts on multiple bearings, sir.

MITCHELL: What the hell are they?
CARTER: They are about ten meters long. But sensors read no internal space, no life signs aboard.
PENDERGAST: rail guns to defensive fire mode! Stand by launch fighters.
MARKS: One of them is on a collision course.
CARTER: I can confirm that. 1000 meters… 500.
PENDERGAST: Sub-light engines to emergency thrust. Brace for impact!
One of the hataks is destroyed, as the pieces zip upwards, the Prometheus taking several hits, shield holding. Flashes and shakes on bridge
WOMAN: *in background* Thermal levels rising
PENDERGAST: Damage report!
MARKS: There's a hull breach on the hangar deck. Shields are down to 20%.
PENDERGAST: Return fire. All positions.
CARTER: Sensors are down.
PENDERGAST: Take us out of orbit…… We can't stay here.

The transcript scene description says the prommie took "several hits" but I only remember seeing one glancing hit and the actual dialog says only one of the things was coming at them which seems to agree with that as well.

The ha'tak that was hit full on was destroyed instantly and the Prometheus lost 80% of its shield strength and suffered hull breaches and sensor damage as the result of its glancing encounter with the 10 meter Ori supergate fragment. The fragment wasn't moving particularly fast from what I recall, not fractional c or anything which would place some fairly modest limts on the amount of kinetic energy it would have, even if we assume it's solid uranium.

Given its size and speed compared to the size and speed of Galacticas coilgun/railgun shells, which seem smaller but likely also faster, it's entirely possible that a barrage of shells could get similar results to what this one glance from the supergate piece did.

So basically the galactica does have the capacity to cause damage to the prometheus, despite the Asguard shields, since the shields are apparrently more vulnerable to impact from physical objects like the supergate piece or giant space battleship shells.

!!??
January 4th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I think a x304 could destroy galactica easily but a BC-303 Prometheus may have some trouble destroying it.

Evil_Genius_McKay
January 5th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Okay, Asurans' knowledge = Lanteans' knowledge.

Lanteans = builders of Atlantis and designers of the cityshield.

Since (Lanteans = Asurans), then the Asurans would've known what frequency to shift to in order to blast through the shield. Since they didn't we can assume that isn't the answer.

Ok so it isn't frequency, then so are we saying that the Asgard beaming technology can beam through any shield? Because they did beam through the cities shield at least once in that episode.

Evil_Genius_McKay
January 5th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Beaming a nuke into another ship is something the Asguard Hermiod had to enable in order for it to start being used on the Wraith.

It's more than likely that the ability to beam a nuke into an enemy ship would still be locked out of the prometheus' transporter via the Asguard safeguards.

Since they're not going to be able to get the easy win on the Galactica they're going to have to do it the old fashioned way, with their missiles.

Given that the type of missiles used by the SGC, even on the newer 304 class, have trouble getting through to hit a hive, which has no dedicated point defense weapons and is the size of a city, I don't find that likely. The galactica, by contrast to a hive, is studded with flak guns and and rapid firing machingun type anti fighter/missile turrets and it's also got fighters that are much more suited to intercepting missiles than darts.

Given that BSG ships trade shells the size of Hondas it's not going to have much to worry about from the prometheus railguns either, which are pretty much the same thing as it's own machinegun like anti fighter guns.

Now the question is though whether the galactica can threaten the prometheus back.

I don't think nukes will get the job done, even though we do know it has multiple silos now. The Prometheus has shields that are probably at least half as good as the ones on the Daedalus which should let it eat more than a few megaton level nuclear weapons.

What might be a problem for it though is galactica's large capital scale railguns. While they don't pack the same amount of raw energy as nukes they do have momentum on their side and this seems to be something that a lot of stargate shields have a problem with for some reason.

If you rememebr "beachead"

The transcript scene description says the prommie took "several hits" but I only remember seeing one glancing hit and the actual dialog says only one of the things was coming at them which seems to agree with that as well.

The ha'tak that was hit full on was destroyed instantly and the Prometheus lost 80% of its shield strength and suffered hull breaches and sensor damage as the result of its glancing encounter with the 10 meter Ori supergate fragment. The fragment wasn't moving particularly fast from what I recall, not fractional c or anything which would place some fairly modest limts on the amount of kinetic energy it would have, even if we assume it's solid uranium.

Given its size and speed compared to the size and speed of Galacticas coilgun/railgun shells, which seem smaller but likely also faster, it's entirely possible that a barrage of shells could get similar results to what this one glance from the supergate piece did.

So basically the galactica does have the capacity to cause damage to the prometheus, despite the Asguard shields, since the shields are apparrently more vulnerable to impact from physical objects like the supergate piece or giant space battleship shells.

This is a really good assesment.