This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Stargate Nitpicker's Thread! Faults in Stargate

First off, my apologies if this has already been done or if this is old hat on the board.

It seems every fandom has some sort of "Nitpicker's Guild" of sorts, be it official or not. Star Trek indeed has one, I've got a book entitled "The Nitpicker's Guide to Star Trek: TNG". "Nitpicking" doesn't mean you dislike the franchise, or always look for mistakes in a show. Most "nits" people don't even notice the first time around--if at all. Some you may not even realize until later. All in all, it can be fun to point out little mistakes in the show, be it production errors (such as a boom mike accidentally being in the scene), plot errors (changed premises, flip-flopping of facts), or some other kind.

Let's see if we can point some out that others may not have noticed, or even ones that everyone has. Who knows, maybe someone knows an answer to the "why" or "how" of the nit, thus giving it an excuse to be there. Otherwise, it would simply be something to look for and give a chuckle the next time we watch the show the nit appears in. I'll kick it off:
    • In "The Serpent's Lair" (among other episodes), ever notice how when someone--Daniel, in this instance--is placed in a sarcophagus for rejuvenation, when they emerge, their clothing is repaired too? In this episode, Daniel is clearly hit with a staff weapon blast to his left chest/upper abdomen area, leaving a bloody hole where he got hit. Later, after O'Neill and the rest of SG-1 leave Klorel's ship, Daniel crawls into the sarcophagus to repair himself. Later when he emerges, his clothes look brand new, no blood stains or anything! Who needs a washing machine when you have a sarcophagus!?
    • In many episodes, Carter's hairstyle will change from one scene to the next--even during a dialogue scene. I can just see it now, during briefing: "If you'll excuse me, General, I need to go redo my hair before the camera points at me again...".
    • How come in later episodes of SG-1, most Jaffa don't wear the ornate "beast head-dress" anymore (ie, Apophis' Jaffa had serpent heads)? Just wasn't in the budget, eh? Disappointing, I thought they were kinda cool.

That's some to get us started, does anyone else have any?

Jaffa, KREE!

Its sort of insignificant really but what I don't understand is why off-world gates make the spinning sound when they're dialled up or dialling out when they're not actually spinning! Like I said, insignificant but just something that bugs me, lol.
    "Someday, men will look back and say I gave birth to the twentieth century." - Jack the Ripper

Comment

Originally posted by omnian
      Its sort of insignificant really but what I don't understand is why off-world gates make the spinning sound when they're dialled up or dialling out when they're not actually spinning! Like I said, insignificant but just something that bugs me, lol.
      That's a great example! I've noticed that too...

Jaffa, KREE!

Comment

Here's one to go and look at, if you've got the vid.

"In the Line of Duty".
        SC hugs Cassie, and she's wearing a watch. The scene cuts to a close-up of Cass, then back to Sam, and the watch has gone!

Hail Cassie, ace pick-pocket!
        sigpic

Comment

During the week between Nemesis and Small victories Carters hair grow was quite fast.. don't you think?

I have plenty of these, but they never come into mind when I try to type them... So I add more later..

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ruff
            During the week between Nemesis and Small victories Carters hair grow was quite fast.. don't you think?

I have plenty of these, but they never come into mind when I try to type them... So I add more later..
            Yes! And on a similar note, Teal'c's little beard was somewhat very neat wasn't it?
            "Someday, men will look back and say I gave birth to the twentieth century." - Jack the Ripper

Comment

Also, about the Jaffa helmets... I always though that only Apothis' personal guards were allowed the luxury of helmets (let the others get plastic surgery with a staff weapon I say!)
              [email protected]
              http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
              One nation under dog
              There of which I stand alone
              A face in the crowd
              Unsung, against the mold
              Without a doubt
              Singled out
              The only way I know

Comment

Originally posted by omnian
                Yes! And on a similar note, Teal'c's little beard was somewhat very neat wasn't it?
                Yeah.. What if he had been growing it for a month or two...

Originally posted by Jprime
                Also, about the Jaffa helmets... I always though that only Apothis' personal guards were allowed the luxury of helmets (let the others get plastic surgery with a staff weapon I say!)

I miss them serpentguard guys. their snake helmets were just cool... Maybe they don't have the money or the will to do helmets anymore.. But think how cool would anubis's guards with helmets be?

COOL...

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ruff
                  I miss them serpentguard guys. their snake helmets were just cool... Maybe they don't have the money or the will to do helmets anymore.. But think how cool would anubis's guards with helmets be?

I think the problem actually was the weight and discomfort of the helmets. They looked good, but were a b*tch for the actors to wear.

Comment

Originally posted by joshing123
                    I think the problem actually was the weight and discomfort of the helmets. They looked good, but were a b*tch for the actors to wear.
                    That's what they get paid for!

The off-world gate bugs me to hell, and the fact that whenever a kawoosh is about to take place the gate gives off 2 little warning sirens (like a glurk-glurk noise)... Why? Does it have built-in speakers?

Comment

From what I understood of the big Jaffa helmets in the series, they were awkward to use. Personally, I always found them to be a little silly compared to the ones in the movie, which were CG. I can understand if they couldn't do that regularly on a TV budget.

I love how the zat always knocks everyone out cold on the first shot, except SG-1. They just get a little wonky.
                      Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                      O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                      - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                      - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                      once done, cannot be undone...
                      brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

How come even when she's been cryogenically-deep-frozen like a chicken and then fast-thawed or working in a sweat-shop 'Beneath the Surface' Carter's make-up still looks as fresh as if it was only applied a couple of hours ago?

"I know the pressure-gague is in the red and it's dangerously high and lots of people could die if I don't fix it in the next thirty seconds Sir, but if I go anywhere near piping hot steam my mascara will run."

Comment

Because she's actually very lucky, in that when she passed through the gate it thought her makeup was part of her...wwll, "makeup" and permanantly pressed it onto her face, meaning no matter how bad the situation she will never need to re-apply...

(maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Mayballine)

Comment

aaaaand another thing - why are all the offworld gates embeded in some kinda rock?

Comment

the off world gates

there's a simple practical fact that the off-world gate is really transported in 4 parts on the back of a truck, to be reassembled onsite. that's why it doesn't spin...it can't because it's in pieces
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X