This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's heard of BB before SG-1?

A lot of people have said that Ben Browder was hired to attract the FS fans to SG-1. That maybe TPTB want to make sure that viewers don't leave when they realize RDA isn't going to be in S9 very much, or if they do, new viewers from FS will tune in to see BB. Yet, I'm not sure how much attraction BB has to fans of SG-1. A lot of people don't seem to know who he is.

So I was wondering, have you heard of BB before SG-1? Do you think he'll help keep viewers tuned into SG-1? Or bring in new viewers?

I think simply the needed to add a new character to revitalise the show like Jonas to get team dynamics going and of course to stand in for Jack. to say that bringing in BB of all people as a business ploy or ratings chaser is a bit cynical. I think simply being on FS got him noticed so they hired him.

Comment

i watched farscape on and off but i really don't think they hired him to attract new fans or to keep people with RDA leaving... i think it was just good casting... the world of sci fi really isn't that big... i think he just happened to overlap... same with lexia doig from andromeda.... i really don't think they were in anyway trying to replace RDA.... i mean come on ... you can't...
      "I didn't bring my bloody cellphone with me. What's happening?"

Comment

I don't know if anyone thinks BB is trying to replace RDA. I just think there was a hole in the cast that needed to be filled and they picked BB to do it. But they could've picked an unknown and they didn't, so I'm assuming that's deliberate. I just wonder how much TPTB thought BB would bring in viewers.

Comment

Personally, I am a huge fan of Farscape. SG1 and Farscape are both in my top 5 TV shows. BB is a great actor and I agree that his work on Farscape helped get him this SG1 job. I bet the producers of SG1 hired him for his talent, but if a few (or thousands) of fans followed him through the Stargate, that's just icing on the cake!

Comment

I knew of him from Farscape but as someone who was never a Farscape fan, I can say I've really seen him in anything. I certainly didn't know his face till he got signed up for SG1!
            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I liked him in "Farscape" and I'm sure he'll be a great addition to the Stargate universe. He is quite an "offbeat" person.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I completely agree with Post #'s 2, 3, 6, and 7.

The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

I'm a huge Farscape fan who has always been a "casual viewer" of SG-1.

I think I usually watched 1 out of 3 SG-1 episodes on average. Now, with Ben Browder coming aboard, I will watch SG-1 more often.

I don't know if that was the intent of hiring him, but it is the effect of hiring him from my perspective.

I've noticed on Farscape boards I've visited, a significant number of Farscape fans are either starting to watch SG-1, or watching it more often than they did before.

In fact, I never visited this website prior to his hiring. Now, I'm visiting often for spoilers.

Comment

I have seen him before on far scape and i think from what ive seen on that show that he will add that dynamic that RDA had in seasons 7 and before, with the humor and shoot first ask questions later idea. I just worry that ill get him and skanks confused all the time.

Comment

i liked him a lot in Farscape. I loved his role.... i believe he will do a very good job on SG1...
                      I am JJ, the Supreme Commander of the Furling Fleet!!!!

Comment

actually the BB i hadnt heard of was Beau Bridges, probably cause im aussie and were not really into the kind of stuff he acts in so he has never had any real notice here in Australia.
                        i would say Ben Browder is the best one to bring in new viewers globally as Farscape is huge in UK especially, much more than SG1 has ever been(Farscape got like 4m viewers in UK, SG1 gets about 1m) so for American viewers theyre bringing in Beau Bridges, and for the rest of the world theyre bringing in the star of Farscape(i actually read some articles saying that Farscape lasted the 4 seasons because of non-American ratings& revenue, especially UK. Cause the US ratings&revenue were so low in comparison) but who really knows anyway.

Comment

I was not a Farscape fan, but I had seen an episode or two. I guess I didn't really get it. I loved the character costuming and prosthetics but I started watching too late into the series and couldn't follow the storylines enough to stay interested enough. However, once I learned that BB was cast on SG1, I made a point of watching Peacekeeper Wars just to get a feel for the actor and his style, since I assumed I would being see a lot more of him in Season 9.

Just from that viewing experience I would have to say that I think BB will be a fine addition to the SG cast. I'm not the least worried about him "replacing Jack" or his "resemblance" to MS or any of the other potential problems I have heard folks predicting. BB seems like an experienced scifi actor with a jolly good sense of humor and the remarkable ability to not take himself or his job too seriously. So I think he'll fit right in! He is also not very hard on the eyes, which can't hurt.

I know a lot more about Beau Bridges, whom I think is an excellent actor. Those of you who are not familiar with him will be very pleasantly surprised by what he will bring to the role of the General.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant
                            I'm a huge Farscape fan who has always been a "casual viewer" of SG-1.

I think I usually watched 1 out of 3 SG-1 episodes on average. Now, with Ben Browder coming aboard, I will watch SG-1 more often.

I don't know if that was the intent of hiring him, but it is the effect of hiring him from my perspective.

I've noticed on Farscape boards I've visited, a significant number of Farscape fans are either starting to watch SG-1, or watching it more often than they did before.

In fact, I never visited this website prior to his hiring. Now, I'm visiting often for spoilers.

Like MediaSavant, I never visited this site. Heck, I didn't even know it existed until someone on the Farscape boards started talking about it.

I am an avid (rabid?) Farscape fan and had seen maybe 2 full episodes of Stargate prior to Claudia Black's guest starring role this season. I, and my friends, will be watching SG1 in season 9 because of Ben Browder' presence. Having Claudia Black around for the first few episodes is icing on the cake. Both of them were fantastic in their Farscape roles.

I'm sure the fact that Ben Browder has a fan base didn't hurt in the hiring decision but he's also a good actor, a hard worker, good looking and a team player.

Hey, it never hurts to increase your fanbase. Why not hire someone who brings a very loyal and vocal group of fans? LOYAL and VOCAL being understatements.

ETA: I'm anxiously awaiting spoiler photos or promo photos of the new team.

Comment

I've read that Farscape was a total flop in Germany and got cancelled after a short period. I wasn't even aware that it had ever aired here, hence I've never actually watched a single ep of Farscape.

But I have a sci-fi magazine with a full-page image of BB [and CB] from Farscape, and everytime I see it I think, "Hey, there's Michael Shanks."
                              No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
                              (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

Working...
                              X