Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What personal weapons did the Ancients have? (poss spoilers, Atlantis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What personal weapons did the Ancients have? (poss spoilers, Atlantis)

Here's a little point that has occured to me regarding the lack of Ancient personal weapons.

The Atlantis explorers have found all sorts of useful items, such as a personal shield and lifesign detectors, and big weapons (chair powered and puddlejumper drones and the space station gun platform), but no personal weapons at all.

Did the Ancients not have personal weapons and rely on their big stuff? Have the team just not found the armoury? Or did the Ancients take all their small arms with them when they left? And what sort of weapons would they be? Projectile or some sort of beam weaponry? What would power them?
    sigpic

If the Asgard's anything to go by, it's unlikely we'll see any of the Ancient's personal weapons!! maybe that's cos they never needed any due to the fact they had the Goa'uld in the palm of their hands for centuries or just there's been no need for them, with the exception of the replicators of course.

But i think if they did, i would be some form of beam weapon like a smaller version of the space station. almost like a phasor from Star Trek but much more macho and powerful!

But i'm willing to wager that they relied on their hefty weapons and ships, much like the Asgard do these days.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

hey, no dissing the phasers. I don't know if the Ancients had personal weapons. They seem like the type that do big and powerful.
      'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

i would imagine them having the type of hand weapons that you see on andromeda.... we still haven't seen any... even in SG1.. kinda weird to me... makes you think that their are probably a world loaded with them... or a storage room in atlantis full of them...
        I am JJ, the Supreme Commander of the Furling Fleet!!!!

Comment

I don't think they had any. If they did they would have something like the force lances in Andromeda, guided bullets that targets that you look at.

Comment

Euhmm..doesn't the Anti-Replicator Disruptor count as a Hand weapon ?
            This does prove that they could have had them.
            sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

or a storage room in atlantis full of them
              Thats a point, if they did have them, surely we would've found them by now, being there for a year or so. and it's not like they'd have only one room with all powerful weapons in it, they'd have them stationed throughout atlantis.
              Euhmm..doesn't the Anti-Replicator Disruptor count as a Hand weapon ?
              I think that was created using the knowledge of the ancients and that it wasn't necessarily, but could've been i guess, a weapon of the ancients.

Comment

I wouldn't call it an Ancient hand-weapon. O'Neill designed it with knowledge from the Ancients. Calling that an Ancient hand-weapon would be like calling a TV a weapon. A TV:s electron cannon could easily be turned into a weapon if one boosted the power input a few million times Basicly It'd become a more powerful particle accelerator

Comment

They probably don't have any hand weapons or ground vehicles for that matter. If they did it would probably be something small and worthless like the Tollan guns. Earth is apparently unique in the universe for having the brains to apply technology.

This whole concept of not maintaining an army because you have a fleet is so stupid. What happens if your fleet is somewhere else? driven off? or destroyed? Why do shows like Stargate and Star Trek do that?
                  "Time is waiting
                  We only got 4 minutes to save the world!
                  No hesitating
                  Grab a boy and grab a girl!
                  Time is waiting
                  No hesitating
                  We only got 4 minutes, huh 4 minutes..."

System Lords like to dance too .

Comment

Probably a manpower issue. Whenever we see Thor he is the only one on his whole big ship. As such they have enough people to man a fleet but not a ground army and a ship is a more potent way of doing the same thing a ground army can using technology e.g. a wave that could destroy all of a certain people using a beam from a ship or they transport people off the planet. The Ancients had no need for an army, until they found the Wraith they were the only sentient beings there. They had to fihgt Wraith ships before they could use ground armies to liberate planets and they never got around to doing anything like that.

Comment

I think it would be cool if they had something like a T.E.R. I mean, not exactly "out-of-phase" weapons, but something likewise in design.

Really, I believe there would have been some form of personal weapons for O'Neill to have built that weapon in season 8. Thor said he was trying to extract any information regarding Ancient weapons/technology against the replicators. Now, he didn't know what/how the weapon did, but I think he was expecting a weapon just as much as anyone else, or at least part of one.

They've been using a lot of the Wraith weapons...the "stun guns"....

I AM SUPREME COMMANDER THOR

Comment

i'd think that they'd have some kind of merciful weapon, like a vaporizer, and you don;t even feel it when you get vaporized. i also thought that they should also have weapons similar to the force lances on Andromeda. i dont know why.
                        ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

I doubt the ancients had any personal weapons. The only time they've had to fight was against the Wraith, and I didn't see any security forces walking around with ray guns in Before I Sleep.

The ancients had their shields and forcefields, which apparently allowed them to get around without needing personal weapons. Afterall, what good is a personal weapon if your enemy can't harm you?
                          Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Really, I believe there would have been some form of personal weapons for O'Neill to have built that weapon in season 8. Thor said he was trying to extract any information regarding Ancient weapons/technology against the replicators.
                            Chances are, since the ancients were so advanced i would say they would've come across that idea before, or at least experimented with it. i think it's more likely that thor could've used that research in Jack's mind and the database to gain a deeper understanding of the replicators and their function. maybe not that technology in general but the idea of the weapon to sever the communications. SPOILER: SEASON 8 "revelations" and "threads":Given that it's said in revelations and threads that the ancients used similar technology to re-seed the galaxy after the plague.Then used the information with the ship's computer to help design the weapon rather than it being a straight copy or similar to a personal weapon of the ancients.

Comment

I hope they show more flashbacks of the war during season 2. It's unthinkable that the Ancients could fight for 100 years without so much as a handgun to their name.
                              "Time is waiting
                              No hesitating
                              Grab a boy and grab a girl!
                              Time is waiting
                              No hesitating
                              We only got 4 minutes, huh 4 minutes..."

System Lords like to dance too .

Comment

Working...
                              X