Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting Forshadowing in Rising Part I (Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Forshadowing in Rising Part I (Spoilers)

There were a few things in Rising, Part I that forshadow events later in the series:
    1. The Wraith don't show up until AFTER Shepard activates the Ancient detector. So in a way it is all Shep's fault that the Wraith know of the AET's arrival. They probably would have never come to Telya's people if he didn't (accidently) activate the Lantean alarm.
    2. Telya states that several of her people can sense the Wraith arriving, a skill she confesses to later in the season. In fact during Rising she senses the Wraith before even hearing them.
    There was also a BIG goof that Janus comitted. When he programmed the failsafe, he should have set it to activate the moment that the stargate was activated. That would have saved enough power to support the shield for a few hours at least.

All in all, those were some interesting plots that TPTB set up. I wonder what else we missed from the later episodes that forshadow season 2 and beyond...

Spoilers for part 2
    Spoiler:
    Shep goofs again when he kills one of the important Wraith bosses. If he hadn't done that the Wraith never would have all woken up and started killing who knows how many millions of people all over Pegasus. Oops. Honestly I'm kind of surprised his role in setting this into motion doesn't mess with him more from a character standpoint.

Comment

Ouroboros, in a way that was a good thing. The Wraith queen certainly could selectively wake up dones to replenish their supply. However, by waking all of them up, a food shortage could start a civil war among the Wraith. In the short term, I agree that it is horrible for all the people being culled. However, in the long term it makes the Wraith beatable.

P.S. No need for spoiler tags around season 1 content, since I tagged the entire thread.

Comment

You would think though that it'd guilt the guy out a little bit that essentially millions of people are now dying all around him because of something he did. Even if he isn't directly at fault which he's isn't for a number of reasons. If they hadn't woken up all the Wraith who knows what they might have been able to do covertly before they woke up on their own.

We know that at least the Genii with their nukes had big plans that required them to stay asleep just a little longer.

Most of all I think it's just an example of a bit of meaningful character development they could have had for Shep. He could have started out blaming himself for example and then eventually come around to see that it wasn't really his fault that the Wraith like to kill people. He could have related to Teyla over it or with other characters and had the news of the various cullings hit him that much harder. It's also something I'm sure a lot of people can relate to as well thus it's emotionally compelling thus it'll make people watch the show thus 'tis good.

Basically having him just skip to "not my fault" just a skipped over of a lot of potentially compelling character building even if it is the position that does ultimately make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros
          Spoilers for part 2
          Spoiler:
          Shep goofs again when he kills one of the important Wraith bosses. If he hadn't done that the Wraith never would have all woken up and started killing who knows how many millions of people all over Pegasus. Oops. Honestly I'm kind of surprised his role in setting this into motion doesn't mess with him more from a character standpoint.
          Totally agree, i think this is something they should develope in season 2, because if I woke the wraith, It'd screw me up abit!
          sigpic
          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros
            You would think though that it'd guilt the guy out a little bit that essentially millions of people are now dying all around him because of something he did.
            It probably does. Although in The Siege Sheppard tells Everett he thinks every night about what he had to do to Sumner, hand in hand with that is what he did with the Wraith. Sheppard wasn't ever supposed to be on the Atlantis Expedition. It was an accident (or destiny). And it was his going that sets into motion all the events of season 1 and beyond.

My kind of guy:
            "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
            Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
            (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

BTW, in the repeats now showing on SciFi, we lost several scenes in Rising part 1 that foreshadow events in future episodes.

We lost the scene in the helicopter on the trip back from Antarctica where O'Neill practically tells Sheppard he has to go to Atlantis.
              Sheppard: I think people who don't want to fly are crazy.
              O'Neill: And I think people who don't want to go through the Stargate are equally as whacked. Now if you can't give me a yes by the time we reach McMurdo, I don't even want you.
              Also gone was Weir saying goodbye to Simon with inserts of Ford and his grandparents, Beckett and his mother, McKay leaving his cat with his neighbor, and Sheppard making his decision with a toss a of coin. And missing was Ford's teasing remarks to Sheppard about how it feels to go through the wormhole.

I think that's it, at least those are the ones that stand out. The episodes Home and Letters From Pegasus echo back to these scenes. And you lose out on a little of Sheppard's character.

My kind of guy:
              "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
              Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
              (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

It probably does. Although in The Siege Sheppard tells Everett he thinks every night about what he had to do to Sumner, hand in hand with that is what he did with the Wraith.
                I interpreted that line more as sensless "if I'd just got there a little sooner" guilt over Sumner's unpleasent demise not anything to do with unleashing the Wraith armageddon.

It's actually possible that the trauma of that event overshadowed the significance of any guilt he may have otherwise felt.

He probably also looks at "at least I got her to" as something good he did to avenge Sumner thus he's unable to see the event from a "yeah but when I did look what happened, oops sorry guys my bad" perspective.

Comment

I think all the Wraiths would have waken up without Sheppard killing the keeper since she would have waken up the Wraiths herself.

Comment

One thing I see in this thread is the putting out of blame. Sheppard blames himself enough. However, for others to throw blame on someone is a waste of time. In my book, throwing blame around is a copout. It is okay to be used in writing a story and in development of a characters personal feelings but otherwise can be painful in relationships of people.

Sheppard could had no idea that picking up a simple necklace would do any harm so how is there anything there to blame. I feel that when he killed the Wraith Queen(?)/guardian it was an act anyone might have done even Colonel Sumner. How do you throw blame on an act in which someone innocently does something that brings unknown consequences?
                    "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                    'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                    Individuality is freedom lived.
                    'Janis Joplin'

Comment

I think all the Wraiths would have waken up without Sheppard killing the keeper since she would have waken up the Wraiths herself.
                      I doubt it, it was too early and the other Wraith would have been none to happy about her waking them up so they could all starve. More likey she would have woken up just that hiveship and gone looking for Atlantis. Then we could have just blown her away when she got there with the sattalite.

Grodin even would have got to live despite his wiring mess up

One thing I see in this thread is the putting out of blame. Sheppard blames himself enough. However, for others to throw blame on someone is a waste of time. In my book, throwing blame around is a copout. It is okay to be used in writing a story and in development of a characters personal feelings but otherwise can be painful in relationships of people.
                      Blame and guilt are great ways to create emotional turbulence between characters though. That's mainly what was lost here, a good opportunity for some emotional character development for Shep.

Sheppard could had no idea that picking up a simple necklace would do any harm so how is there anything there to blame.
                      I wonder how Teyla first found that thing anyway given that it was a Wraith tracking device. I guess her parents never told her not to accept gifts from snearing bug people.

I feel that when he killed the Wraith Queen(?)/guardian it was an act anyone might have done even Colonel Sumner.
                      No way, I'd have just crossed my index fingers over and driven her back hissing into a corner.

He totally stabbed Marylin out of spite though. Had he just run like a little chior girl screaming about space vampires the galaxy would have been safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
                        Totally agree, i think this is something they should develope in season 2, because if I woke the wraith, It'd screw me up abit!
                        but the warith would have woke up any way sooner or later its not shepped falt those people would probly died he just made them die a little faster

Comment

Working...
                        X