This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Nox and the Ancients

We all know that there was once a great alliance consisting of the Asgard, the Nox, the Furlings, and the Ancients ("The Torment of Tantalus," "The Fifth Race"). We also know from "The Fifth Race" and from "Chimera" that the lanuage of the Ancients is based off of Latin (or the other way around). The word "nox" in Latin means darkness. Does this indicate that the fall of the great alliance was a war between the Nox and the Ancients? Did the Ancients view the Nox as evil? What are your thoughts?
    Rocky

well, the nox are pacifists, so i very much doubt it. perhaps nox, ie darkness, implies that they live in darkness and are rarely seen? the fact that their city in the sky can be cloaked may support that. or i'm just a stupid moron.
    perhaps the alliance fell apart because the ancients ascended and the furlings disappeared. maybe they are extinct, or just in hiding from a great enemy.
    or maybe they just split up and will have a huge comeback tour in the near future, like van halen

Comment

ooh. also, the nox call themselves "the nox". i doubt that they would have adopted the name from the ancients if it were meant to imply evil. perhaps the nox were in some way related to the ancients, hence some similarity in their languages.
      i'm just speculating here though. i've never really considered it much before now.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
        also, the nox call themselves "the nox". i doubt that they would have adopted the name from the ancients if it were meant to imply evil.
        I agree. What I am saying is that the latin word "nox" is derived from the race itself. As it means darkness, it's possible the Ancients saw the nox as dark creatures at some point.
        Rocky

Comment

Or maybe the alliance just simply fell apart because the Ancients left.
          Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Their alliance probably ended around the time that the Ancients died
            __

__

Comment

I doubt any of the four races became enemies. If that was the case, I don't think that asgard guy would have told Jack that humanity could possibly become the fifth race.
              Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                I doubt any of the four races became enemies. If that was the case, I don't think that asgard guy would have told Jack that humanity could possibly become the fifth race.
                I agree U.P.!

IMO,if there had been any kind of falling out between the 4 Races,the Asgard had no reason to "Talk Up" the idea that one day humanity could evolve to join the Nox,Asgard,Furlings and Ancients!!
                The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

You have a point piggy. The Asgard probably wouldn't have even mentioned about The Ancients, Furlings or any of the others
                  __

__

Comment

They could've meant it figurativley, considering the Furlings have gone and the Ancients have ascended. For humanity to become the fifth race (literally) would imply that all the other 4 are still around.

Comment

You make sense. For Earth to become in a list of items or in this case races the other races have to be around for them to remain on the list
                      __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
                        You make sense.
                        I did? 'tis a dark day, to be sure!

Comment

Rocketman 4477 is right, "nox" is darkness in Latin and that does open up alot of questions,well spotted am going to look up some more now,you have got me thinking Rocket man
                          "Silence"Kneel before your God
                          Apophis is the english Translation for "APEPI" Serpent god of the night

Comment

Perhaps 'darkness' could refer to their ability to hide things.

Comment

But the Nox called themselves "The Nox", and their language isn't (I assume) based on Latin, so they never called theirselves "the darkness", and the Ancients certainley didn't because the Nox named themselves the Nox before meeting the Ancients, hell, even the Asgard call them the Nox. It's pure co-incidence that the Nox means "the darkness" in Ancient.

If you watch "The Tourment of Tantalus" Daniel explains that they all communicate using the peridoic table because they couldn't all speak the same language, indicating that the Nox have always been the Nox, well before the Ancients came along.

Comment

Working...
                              X