This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Danny Boy's Allergies

Has anyone else wondered why their haven't been any recent jokes or references to Daniel Jackson's allergies? I thought that it was great comic relief early on. For that matter, does someone whose Ascended, sneeze? If so, would be like snot, or just a puff of energy?

David H
    "The Clarke Postulate - One's ability to correctly explain advanced theoretical thermodynamics as applied to string theory within a fictional context is directly related to one's ability to cook the perfect lemon chicken with mushrooms in a nice garlic butter sauce. While some use this unexpected correlation as proof of intelligent design, I believe that its all about the person's choice of mushrooms.

I also believe that there is a tear developing in the space-time continuum which if left uncheck will allow Microsoft to become a world power. I suspect that unless we all download Firefox 3 on the same day, thus sealing the tear, that life as we know it may be over and children will have their teddy bears and blankets ripped mercilessly from their arms.

Maybe Daniel takes better allergy medications in later seasons. Maybe they just didn't want to bother writing it in

For that matter, does someone whose Ascended, sneeze? If so, would be like snot, or just a puff of energy?
    LOL, an ascended being is nothing more than pure energy, they don't sneeze because they don't have a nose or body for that matter.
    Condemnant quod non intellegunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Freyrs
      Maybe Daniel takes better allergy medications in later seasons. Maybe they just didn't want to bother writing it in
      I sort of assumed that.

Daniel now gets first rate medical care, the best on the planet, I'm sure his allergy medication is carefully monitored and balanced.

Plus you can have treatment to desensitise you, I had injections to make me less allergic to pollens, you have to have them over a number of years.

Janet said in an early episode (Broca Divide?) that she had allergies too, so I would think that she would have taken him in hand.

FF, who still misses Janet.
      sigpic

Comment

I think from all the times he was in the Sarcophogus(sp?) and being ascended a few times, that his allergies may have permanently cleared up. I know that without prolonged/repeated exposure to the Sarcophogus(sp?!) the healing effects dissapate, but who knows about ascension?
        Zelazny, FBI~Undercover Division

Comment

Originally posted by Zelazny
          I think from all the times he was in the Sarcophogus(sp?) and being ascended a few times, that his allergies may have permanently cleared up. I know that without prolonged/repeated exposure to the Sarcophogus(sp?!) the healing effects dissapate, but who knows about ascension?

That's possible....

Comment

Originally posted by Zelazny
            If this is true, how come he still is glasses. Wouldn't the sarc heal his eyesight like it did the Russian general in Full Alert?

Comment

Ok so MAYBE his are better, but I still think it hilarious of him to sneeze at rather ackward moments. I mean how funny would it have been if right when he was in front a System Lord about to have his brain scrambled he sneezed all over the SL. To which, O'Neil might have said something like 'Better watch that cold Daniel, they can kill if they get out of control.' or 'Certain you're not coming down with anything that could kill you?'
              "The Clarke Postulate - One's ability to correctly explain advanced theoretical thermodynamics as applied to string theory within a fictional context is directly related to one's ability to cook the perfect lemon chicken with mushrooms in a nice garlic butter sauce. While some use this unexpected correlation as proof of intelligent design, I believe that its all about the person's choice of mushrooms.

I also believe that there is a tear developing in the space-time continuum which if left uncheck will allow Microsoft to become a world power. I suspect that unless we all download Firefox 3 on the same day, thus sealing the tear, that life as we know it may be over and children will have their teddy bears and blankets ripped mercilessly from their arms.

Comment

the easy answer is that it was an amusing character quirk for the movie but would have gotten old real fast, which is why they dealt with it early on saying that he now takes powerful antihitamines "The Broca Divide"

as for the sarcaphagus. the sarc only heals you, it doesnt change your genetic code. if daniel was born with poor eye sight and needing glasses, it cant change that, it can have a temporary effect but it doesnt alter your genetics. now if daniels need for glasses was due to some kind of injury or strain over time or something the sarc should be able to fix that, but i think daniel has always needed glasses. the same thing goes for the allergy thing. if he was born with an allergy because its in his DNA, then the sarc cant do anything. but if it was something he developed (i dont know if thats possible, i dont know a lot about how allergies work) the sarc should be able to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
                  If this is true, how come he still is glasses. Wouldn't the sarc heal his eyesight like it did the Russian general in Full Alert?
                  the generals fixed eyes site was not due to a sarc, it was because he had been implanted with a goa'uld. the symbiote has the ability to correct for his bad eyesite but it wouldnt actually cure it if it was a genetic flaw. chances are that general needed glasses because of age, so the symbiote could correct that.

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                    the generals fixed eyes site was not due to a sarc, it was because he had been implanted with a goa'uld. the symbiote has the ability to correct for his bad eyesite but it wouldnt actually cure it if it was a genetic flaw. chances are that general needed glasses because of age, so the symbiote could correct that.
                    You are right, spg 1983, I stand corrected. I remember now when you mentioned the goa'uld.

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                      the easy answer is that it was an amusing character quirk for the movie but would have gotten old real fast, which is why they dealt with it early on saying that he now takes powerful antihitamines "The Broca Divide"

as for the sarcaphagus. the sarc only heals you, it doesnt change your genetic code. if daniel was born with poor eye sight and needing glasses, it cant change that, it can have a temporary effect but it doesnt alter your genetics. now if daniels need for glasses was due to some kind of injury or strain over time or something the sarc should be able to fix that, but i think daniel has always needed glasses. the same thing goes for the allergy thing. if he was born with an allergy because its in his DNA, then the sarc cant do anything. but if it was something he developed (i dont know if thats possible, i dont know a lot about how allergies work) the sarc should be able to fix it.
                      Or it's quite possible that Daniel's eyesight was naturally bad, but got worse over the years (that tends to happen). So the sarcophagus took him back to what his eyes originally were, which is better than they would be otherwise, but still not perfect. It would explain why in Moebius
                      Spoiler:
                      the Alternate Daniel couldn't see the broadside of a barn w/o his glasses, but our Daniel seemed to get along just fine.
                      My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
                      -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
                      -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
                      -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
                        The Goa'uld healed the general, not a sarcophagus. Daniel's never been Goa'ulded...
                        Spoiler:
                        Unless you count AR Danny in Mobieus
                        thankee toasteronfire

Comment

I'll go with the idea that he got contacts.
                          'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

i don't understand why daniel doesn't get contacts like sam.

Comment

Originally posted by RubyRed
                              i don't understand why daniel doesn't get contacts like sam.
                              Sam wears glasses? Which ep?
                              Yay agree with everyone else Daniel is probably take medication for the allergies!

Comment

Working...
                              X